Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Thrilling. 

I don't think this'll create much of that all-important "engagement" among his "followers." But maybe I underestimate how bored they are. 

I engaged. Not surprisingly, an overwhelming percentage of respondents knew what a kumquat was. 🙄

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

Seriously? Not a single photo of Felicity and/or whatsername? Something is amiss...

I have a hard time believing he’s strategic enough to be doing this as some kind of marketing ploy, because he would be teasing it. He wouldn’t be able to stop himself hinting around about his cleverness.

So...thoughts? New baby is unattractive? Felicity has been dethroned and is now acting up 24/7 plus has entered an awkward phase? Or is it just that home life with a pissy toddler, exhausted wife, and a screaming newborn is so beneath RFP that mentally he’s just checked out?

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Or is it just that home life with a pissy toddler, exhausted wife, and a screaming newborn is so beneath RFP that mentally he’s just checked out?

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of truth in this.

It reminds me a bit of a fundie guy I used to work with. (I've mentioned him on here before.) I think he went into marriage with some pretty lofty ideas of what it would be like, and that it was all going to be hunky dory and picture perfect. Shortly after he got married, he and his wife went to South America to work as missionaries, and they didn't last long. (This is more like Jill and Derick but bear with me.) I'm not sure what he was expecting, but he and his wife were from suburban Buffalo, NY, and based on some comments he made, it sounded like she cracked pretty fast down there. The missionary work was also dealing with children who were the victims of sex trafficking, and I'm not sure either of them with their homeschool diplomas and no other training were equipped to deal with that.

So, they came home early, and he worked for some car dealerships, and I think burnt out on that pretty quickly. (And his wife freaked the fuck out that his boss was *gasp* a lesbian!) So, then he relocates to Arkansas to work with his parents (who were their own brand of crazy and many an office break consisted of him telling us a childhood anecdote that he found charming but that made his parents sound like assholes), and this coincides with having his first child. And, well, let's just say that him not enjoying the move to Arkansas and finding his new job boring and the stress of having an infant that was sick all the time and a wife who was fairly emotionally fragile and not coping well with being isolated from her family and him finally breaking out of his bubble and finding out that he wasn't as magical and special as he had been brought up to believe he was--it was a recipe for disaster. In any event, they added another baby to the mix, and I last saw them right before that baby was born, but you could tell it was a pressure cooker that was about to explode. 

I later found out he abruptly quit the place where I'd worked with him and moved to another state again. I suspect that marriage is just going to be them doing the same thing for eternity--always moving somewhere else because they're miserable and feel trapped but the root of the problem was I don't think they were well-suited for marriage and I don't think he actually wanted to be a husband and father. I don't think he realized that until he had already jumped in, though, and had a wife and baby and was dealing with a screaming infant at 3 am.

In any event, I get the same vibe from him that I get from Jinger and Jeremy. I think Jeremy liked having a family when it was Instagram worthy. I'm not sure he really enjoys the reality of being a husband and father to people who aren't Instagram worthy.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 22
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

I must admit that while I know what a kumquat is (a cool word to use in place of a real cuss word!), I've never actually eaten one. 

I think that probably makes you part of the large majority! It's not like you see many in most supermarkets.

If you like stuff that's super-tart with just a hint of sweetness, though, they're really good. A very bright taste. (If you don't like super-tart, of course....then, not so much...) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

After watching the Counting On episode when J & J brought their friends to the beach, I came away thinking Jing & Jer have adopted our conversations of Jinger's sheltered youth as a running joke between them. I can't remember the topic, flying kites maybe, and Jinger said, with a partial grin, "What you never flew with kites when you were young?"

Jeremy was definitely raised more mainstream than Jinger, but his childhood was pretty sheltered too. Even his stint playing professional soccer was likely in a vacuum. He may want to be the more worldly one, but I think Jinger is the one who actually is, in many respects.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

My current conclusion is that RFP is a not very bright, low-grade narcissist with shiny object syndrome. He only relates to things that are new, pretty and involve him. I suspect that post about that Canadian pastor was either mandated by MacArthur’s cabal or an opportunity to suck up, but then, “oooh, look! Funny fruit!” 

“Shiny Object Syndrome” has me giggling.

• LOL 13
  • Love 4

I sometimes think if Jeremy could be anyone, taking religiosity out of the equation, he would be season 1 Don Draper. A suave charming dude who everyone admires, a perfect 50s housewife and a couple of children who photograph well and admire him when he comes home. Of course, that character didn't even exist on Mad Men and JereMe is never going to have the charm of Don, or John Hamm for that matter. My bowl of popcorn is waiting to see if he ever figures that out, and what he does with his life once that happens. 

• Love 22
10 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I sometimes think if Jeremy could be anyone, taking religiosity out of the equation, he would be season 1 Don Draper. A suave charming dude who everyone admires, a perfect 50s housewife and a couple of children who photograph well and admire him when he comes home. Of course, that character didn't even exist on Mad Men and JereMe is never going to have the charm of Don, or John Hamm for that matter. My bowl of popcorn is waiting to see if he ever figures that out, and what he does with his life once that happens. 

Do NOT compare him to Jon Hamm in any way! 😆😆

• LOL 22
3 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

As a history student, that makes me so angry! Your disgusting body oils are degrading that piece of history as you stand there, Jeremy! How about you actually RESPECT the object you claim to be so amazed by!

I have had the opportunity to hold and touch some rather old documents, and I was surprised to be told that I did not need my gloves.  Just maybe this was allowed.  I know, makes little sense to me, but it does happen.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, satrunrose said:

I really could see him leaving Jinger and the little props if he finds some other woman more interesting and useful to his ego. He, and perhaps he wife too, will realize he and his life are not charming and he will have the subsequent crisis.  But some doe-eyed 20-something congregant will admire and adore him because he's in church leadership, so in order to recapture the feeling of being the amazing man he thought he was, he'll seize the opportunity and leave behind the baggage that no longer adores and kowtows to him. Of the Duggar marriages so far, I see this one the most likely to end unhappily. I used to think it would be Josiah and his wife, but he is so smitten with his daughter that I can't see him leaving because of the little one. His wife is just a means to an end though. 

• Love 19
49 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I really could see him leaving Jinger and the little props if he finds some other woman more interesting and useful to his ego. He, and perhaps he wife too, will realize he and his life are not charming and he will have the subsequent crisis.  But some doe-eyed 20-something congregant will admire and adore him because he's in church leadership, so in order to recapture the feeling of being the amazing man he thought he was, he'll seize the opportunity and leave behind the baggage that no longer adores and kowtows to him. Of the Duggar marriages so far, I see this one the most likely to end unhappily. I used to think it would be Josiah and his wife, but he is so smitten with his daughter that I can't see him leaving because of the little one. His wife is just a means to an end though. 

I can totes see Jer falling for a lush young thang who idolizes him. And "yielding to temptation" - heh.

But I don't see him wanting to leave Jinger to marry another woman unless said new woman brings more to the table than a hot young bod. She'd need to bring some powerful connections and/or money which would let him step up in the world from his then-current situation. 

Of course, if Jer plays around on Jinger and gets caught, then it might not matter so much what he would prefer. Hmm. I wonder what Jinger would do - ignore it, insist that they reconcile, take a stand against divorce under any circumstances? Or at some point be willing to cut him loose? Do they have a "covenant marriage"?

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I can totes see Jer falling for a lush young thang who idolizes him. And "yielding to temptation" - heh.

But I don't see him wanting to leave Jinger to marry another woman unless said new woman brings more to the table than a hot young bod. She'd need to bring some powerful connections and/or money which would let him step up in the world from his then-current situation. 

Of course, if Jer plays around on Jinger and gets caught, then it might not matter so much what he would prefer. Hmm. I wonder what Jinger would do - ignore it, insist that they reconcile, take a stand against divorce under any circumstances? Or at some point be willing to cut him loose? Do they have a "covenant marriage"?

He'll just write Jinger an essay explaining why God sent him a side piece since Jinger hasn't grown into her role as a suitable mate for someone at his level.   Since it's her fault she cannot complain.   

Cutting him loose might mean having to return to Arkansas.   If she always dreamed of living in a big city, finally got there and tasted it for quite a while, will she ever be able to return to Arkansas and be happy?    

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Do they have a "covenant marriage"?

It wouldn't matter.  They don't live in Arkansas.  If they stay in California, California divorce laws would apply and there is no recognition of covenant marriage.  One divorces according to the laws of the state of residence.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It wouldn't matter.  They don't live in Arkansas.  If they stay in California, California divorce laws would apply and there is no recognition of covenant marriage.  One divorces according to the laws of the state of residence.

True. I should have been more clear. I just wondered if they'd done the "covenant marriage" thing like Jill and Derick did, so they (well, Jeremy aka Baaabe, actually) could virtue signal their opposition to divorce. As you said, a "covenant marriage" has no legal significance in California (also true in most states).

Also about their future, I share the skepticism expressed here that Jeremy is loaded with talent to succeed in his chosen career. He seems to be lost already, as noted. IMO if you look at his SM posts he's flailing around - aspiring seminarian, wannabe influencer, man obsessed with his fine clothes and possessions, suckup to the powers that be in his school/professional world . . . and all the while he's riding his wife's huge SM following and his role in her family's TV show. He'd still be the lackluster minister of a tiny "plant" church in Laredo Texas, living in obscurity on a modest income in a small apartment, if he hadn't married up. Judging by the sermons he posted online, he wasn't about to move up from that situation by his own talents anytime soon. 

I suppose it's possible he's really fired up and energized by his seminary studies and whatever "job" he supposedly holds on campus, and we just don't see it on his SM posts. Maybe he has a brilliant career ahead. I don't see it, but I'm often wrong.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

As a history student, that makes me so angry! Your disgusting body oils are degrading that piece of history as you stand there, Jeremy! How about you actually RESPECT the object you claim to be so amazed by!

You're not supposed to notice that.  As in any photograph with JereME in it, the focus should always be on him.  That silly book is just a prop for showing us what a scholar he is.  I'd bet a fountain pen and a pocket square that he didn't even lift the cover of the book.

1 hour ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I really could see him leaving Jinger and the little props if he finds some other woman more interesting and useful to his ego.

Co-sign.  I can see him cheating and then using his powers of persuasion and big fancy words on Jinger to make her see that forgiving him would be the pious little wifey thing to do.  If he ever did stray, it would never be his fault.

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

She would never leave him!  Anna set the bar pretty high even in the fundie community.  It's not in their blood to leave a cheating husband.  She would pray for him.

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

She would never leave him!  Anna set the bar pretty high even in the fundie community.  It's not in their blood to leave a cheating husband.  She would pray for him.

Oh that's true. But unlike Josh, Jeremy isn't a dependent of JB. Josh as a wholly owned subsidiary of Duggar Enterprises, had no agency to end his marriage - short of leaving his whole family and economic support system behind. His wife and his bosses [his parents] were aligned - no divorce, the marriage continues - and that was it for Smuggar.

OTOH if Jeremy finds a potential second wife who has money and connections that would benefit him, Jinger's opposition to divorce wouldn't necessarily stop it. Jeremy's benefitted hugely from marrying a Duggar, but he's not embedded in Duggarworld like Josh. If Jer finds an outside source of support he could be gone. 

Of course, that's all pure speculation and I haven't seen any behavior on his part that is other than a faithful husband and he does seem to be nuts about Felicity. The SM silence about the new baby is concerning and I hope things are okay.

ETA: What? Jeremy's bro has directed a documentary that's not all Christian anti-LGBTQ preachy??? Will MacArthur approve?

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9
39 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I totally see Jeremy leave Jinger for a wealthy woman even an older one. It’s all about money for him. 

I can totally see Jeremy being a Dirty John type. 

On another note, Charles co-wrote an LGBTQ drama?! Wow, I wouldn't have expected that.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Hi brother's show was picked up by HBO - Jermy must be seething....hhpv5553nbj61.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

Wow, congrats to Charles! This is a big deal and the story sounds fascinating on so many levels. I hope he sees a lot of success from this.

RFP must be so confused at this news--his brother is receiving success and accolades over him, nothing about the show sounds like it would fit RFP's narrow view of Christianity, Charles has a deal with HBO, which is way bigger than anything the Duggars or he have ever done. I'm going to be interested to see how RFP reacts to this, if he does at all. 

• Love 23
45 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

On another note, Charles co-wrote an LGBTQ drama?! Wow, I wouldn't have expected that.

Yeah, and not just that -- it's about the struggles of immigrants, including undocumented folk, as well. A whole lot of people that John MacArthur would spit on, in other words. 

Below is a post I made about the film upthread, with links to reviews, quotes from Charles and such in spring 2019, when they had just finished the film and were doing a publicity tour, if anybody's interested.  Congrats to Charles and his co-artists (who come across as honest and non-pretentious people in the articles) for getting it on big-name tv -- 

Just noticed that big brother Charles Vuolo's first venture into full-fledged writing and directing is now out. 

Here's his IMDB bio -- the film is Lupe and he's been working on it for a while. - https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3252101/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

And -- very interesting for the namesake of an ardent conservative-evangelical preacher with a complementarian bent -- the main character is an immigrant transgender woman transitioning.  It also deals with issues of immigration and poverty. ;  )           

The family dynamic here has got to be interesting, to say the least, with Jer ranting in sermons about the evils of Jazz and her family while his brother has been working for a few years now on this film. The Vuolo family seems to hang out together some, regardless of these differences, so I can only hope that the open-mindedness gets stronger than the close-mindedness over time .... (I'd almost hope that Jer's anti-gay sermonizing is phony....except I don't like the idea of people lying in the pulpit. Plus, if you had a different view why wouldn't you just hang out with different Christians? It's baffling to me.)  Anyway, as with the [elder]  Seewalds, some things may be pushing the Vuolo family in a new direction. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7110484/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1

It's getting very respectful views. The Deadline review has a clip also.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/lupe-clip-rafael-albarran-lucerys-medina-andre-phillips-charles-vuolo-1202559805/

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/03/10/lupe-addresses-transitions-community/

https://el-observador.com/2019/03/22/cinequest-film-review-lupe/?fbclid=IwAR35UxquUBMK4GgMZaVTKWNzQooGxSSq6aLsKM3Q-KlMGs4iWFAISpBMtsc

https://triad-city-beat.com/riverrun-2019-lupe/

Jose Posadas, El Observador   -- "A good film should entertain, but it should also provoke thought and conversation, and if it is a worthy film it might even change public perceptions and attitudes. The film “Lupe” premiering at the annual Cinequest Film & Creativity Festival is all those things."

Quotes from Charles and his co-director -- -

“It speaks beyond dating issues,” O’Brien says, adding that the film addresses everyday interactions people in transition deal with. “When someone sees you in a different scenario, how do you handle it? … How do you keep relationships going when you’re transgender?”]

The film also addresses socioeconomic issues.

“I have a beautiful scene with two friends,” says Albarran [the lead actor], “one who has resources for a transition and my character, who doesn’t.”

Co-director Charles Vuolo says it was cast and crew members who brought many of these issues to his and Phillips’ attention.

“We didn’t know how to have that conversation, to be honest,” Vuolo adds.

“Without that level of development, we never would have gotten into the topics we were able to get into,” Phillips says.

“Lupe” plays March 10 at 8 p.m. at Century 20 Redwood City, 825 Middlefield Road, Redwood City. The film has two more screenings at the Cinequest Film and Creativity Festival, which runs through March 17. For showtimes and tickets, visit https://www.cinequest.org.

Discussion of the research Charles and his co-director did with transgender folks to make the film -- 

'While Lupe is a film about transgender lives it is also a film that asks the universal question: where I fit in the world? Whether you are cisgender or transgender, heterosexual, gay or bisexual, we are all trying to fit in, trying to find our true identity and be accepted for who we really are, even though that may come at a cost – the possible loss of family, friends or lovers.

'The film is true to the subject matter because directors Andre and Charles sought the advice and counsel of Kerry Michelle O’Brien, an active advocate for the LGBTQ community, credited Executive Producer on the film, and transgender herself. In addition, Celia Harrison, who portrayed Lana, is a transgender artist who advised the filmmakers resulting in the film being sensitive to the themes of gender identity.

'Kerry summed up best the message of the film when asked what audiences should take away from watching Rafael’s coming out story, “That you are allowed to love yourself no matter who you are.”, she said.'

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 7
  • Love 7

Quick, cold-hearted quiz: 

1. Impressions based on little information can be totally warped, of course. BUT, at least on this brief acquaintance with CV.....who comes across as the more spiritual and loving of these two brothers? 

2. Which one would you rather have as your pastor? 

Yep, I feel like a jerk writing that. As I often feel like a jerk posting about these people. 

But, geez, Jer, you've got a role model here. Get a clue. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 21
6 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Quick, cold-hearted quiz: 

1. Impressions based on little information can be totally warped, of course. BUT, at least on this brief acquaintance with CV.....who comes across as the more spiritual and loving of these two brothers? 

2. Which one would you rather have as your pastor? 

Yep, I feel like a jerk writing that. As I often feel like a jerk posting about these people. 

But, geez, Jer, you've got a role model here. Get a clue. 

Wow, you so much nicer than I am or ever was. This isn’t cold-hearted, this is the damned truth. 

And if that makes us jerks...then I’m a charter member of Jerks Are Us. And I’m good with that, at least where these people are concerned. They’re hypocrites of the highest order and I believe that always deserves to be called out, especially when they have the public reach that they have. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I totally see Jeremy leave Jinger for a wealthy woman even an older one. It’s all about money for him. 

To paraphrase a quote from the movie “The Jerk”:  He doesn’t care about the money! He cares about the stuff!

• LOL 12
On 2/23/2021 at 8:05 AM, Churchhoney said:

I think that probably makes you part of the large majority! It's not like you see many in most supermarkets.

If you like stuff that's super-tart with just a hint of sweetness, though, they're really good. A very bright taste. (If you don't like super-tart, of course....then, not so much...) 

When I was much younger the supermarket fruit baskets always contained kumquats. I generally don't like tart things so I have eaten them but didn't really like them. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I can't wait to see how Jere counters the success of his brother - will he put out a Christian rap album?  Preach for a televised mega church?  Produce his own line of fountain pens?  Pose for Playgirl? 

1) Didn’t Bin already try the Christian rap thing? 2) In his dreams. 3) He could try...but who would produce and market them? 4) Now my eyes hurt. And he’s not nearly hot enough at this point. 

Mostly he’ll chew his nails more and get hair plugs.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I can't wait to see how Jere counters the success of his brother - will he put out a Christian rap album?  Preach for a televised mega church?  Produce his own line of fountain pens?  Pose for Playgirl? 

I vote pester his brother to help him network and make "valuable connections".   If the value was high enough Jeremy's value systems are negotiable IMO.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I vote pester his brother to help him network and make "valuable connections".   If the value was high enough Jeremy's value systems are negotiable IMO.

Wouldn’t that make JerMe a sellout? 
I guess for the right price and fame he’d throw lots of things under the bus so to speak. 

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Based on what I've seen of his grasp of markets and audiences, my vote goes to "create a line of fountain pens with rap lyrics on them."

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 23
19 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I’m trying to envision his brother trying to introduce RFP to his tolerant, liberal, artistic, talented network...”So there’s my brother Jeremy. Yeah, he married into that television family that has a zillion kids. And if you check out his SM, um, yes, he is in deep with that asshole MacArthur. I know, I know. But he could use a job and well, he’s family, so I felt like I had to ask...no, sure. I understand completely.”

• LOL 23
  • Love 1

I actually think Jeremy will double down on his conservative values as a way to convince himself he is superior to his brother. I expect lots of posts with the higher-ups in the MacArthur organization, and I also think we will see a lot more “look at my fabulous LA life”posts to show he is just as successful as his brother, although his brother earned his successful life  while Jeremy grifted his. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 15