Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Lawrence Welk was still televised in Central Florida in the 90s on Saturday nights 7pm on PBS. I have to admit, sometimes I watched it too as a 35-40 year old because I wanted to watch something 'happy' with colorful costumes. This did the trick for me at that time. I would still watch it some if I felt I needed a lift. Yes, it was a bit corny, but entertaining IMO.

• Love 13

Lawrence Welk is still on my local PBS station on Saturdays at dinnertime.  My grandfather (born in 1904) loved it back in the day.  My parents started watching it in the late 90's.  The cycle stops with me. I'm 61 and have zero interest, although I do admit the show has great snark value.

• Love 10

My memory of Lawrence Welk goes back to the Lennon Sisters in the 60s.  I had moderate interest in them since they were my contemporaries, but otherwise I couldn't stand the show.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Wait.  Didn't we all ?     And, its still in reruns around my area.

Oh God, I just checked, and it's still on here at 6 pm on Saturdays! I had no clue. 😂

• LOL 10
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Zella said:

Oh God, I just checked, and it's still on here at 6 pm on Saturdays! I had no clue. 😂

Heavens! I was a kid in the 50's, and my stepmom always watched the LW show on TV on Saturday nights. I think she watched it on TV for the rest of her life. As a little kid I didn't think it was fabulous or anything, but I accepted it as part of my life. By my teen years in the 60's I was over it; it was something my ancient parents liked and just super lame. 😟 The PBS station here ran reruns of the show on Saturday nights until not all that long ago. It was always a bit startling to me, to be flipping channels or looking at the onscreen guide and see it listed. Like a blast from my personal past.

So I can believe that Jeremy would have seen the show on TV, since it seems to have quite a surprising and enduring presence on America's TV screens. It's just such an odd thing for him to put on SM. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Suzn said:

My memory of Lawrence Welk goes back to the Lennon Sisters in the 60s.  I had moderate interest in them since they were my contemporaries, but otherwise I couldn't stand the show.

My grandmother used to buy "movie magazines" that basically featured 6 month old gossip and the Lennon Sisters were one of the favorite subjects. This was before Entertainment Tonight and social media so celebrities had more privacy, but rumors of very tame (by today's standards) scandals still swirled around. 

I remember as a teenager rolling my eyes at Lawrence Welk, and my grandfather, who was a bit of a musician, told me, "but those are the old standards!"  To his credit, he would listen to some of my music, and he was quite appreciative of Elton John's "Funeral For A Friend", and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" among others.    

I don't understand the point of Jeremy' post, but maybe it brought back memories of his grandparents. Or he just wanted to show that he lives in LA and visits the Hollywood Walk of Stars.

• Love 8
(edited)
32 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

My grandmother used to buy "movie magazines" that basically featured 6 month old gossip and the Lennon Sisters were one of the favorite subjects. This was before Entertainment Tonight and social media so celebrities had more privacy, but rumors of very tame (by today's standards) scandals still swirled around. 

I remember as a teenager rolling my eyes at Lawrence Welk, and my grandfather, who was a bit of a musician, told me, "but those are the old standards!"  To his credit, he would listen to some of my music, and he was quite appreciative of Elton John's "Funeral For A Friend", and Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" among others.    

I don't understand the point of Jeremy' post, but maybe it brought back memories of his grandparents. Or he just wanted to show that he lives in LA and visits the Hollywood Walk of Stars.

I think that Jeremy's post ended up being either him attempting to be sincere and it blowing up in his face because you have to be a little more self-aware of how outwardly unhip it may sound for him to fanboy Lawrence Welk OR him just trying to piggyback on some vague memories of watching Lawrence Welk and it also blowing up in his face because it just seems so random and his heart isn't in it. 

I also entertain the third possibility that this is something Mac Daddy likes, and he is trying to kiss his ass, again based on something he vaguely remembers watching as a child.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I also entertain the third possibility that this is something Mac Daddy likes, and he is trying to kiss his ass, again based on something he vaguely remembers watching as a child.

I also wondered if Jer has finally realized a great many of his followers are middle age and older women who watch the show. That crowd isn't going to comment on the Nike pics and maybe even not the food pics. They want to see the kids, who aren't being shown now for whatever reason. So maybe jer tried to get comments on Lawrence Welk......  I know, giving Jer way too much credit for thinking there....

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
Just now, crazy8s said:

I also wondered if Jer has finally realized a great many of his followers are middle age and older women who watch the show. That crowd isn't going to comment on the Nike pics and maybe even not the food pics. They want to see the kids, who aren't being shown now for whatever reason. So maybe jer tried to get comments on Lawrence Welk......  I know, giving Jer way too much credit for thinking there....

Hehe It wouldn't surprise me if something like that is afoot. But if it is, I think he might be assuming his audience is too old. I do think he has no clue who his audience really is and a big part of why he falls flat is that he's so tone deaf about it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

By doing that, he showed that he is in no way living the life of an LA local, but one of a tourist. And their house is nowhere near downtown LA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
27 minutes ago, Teriacky said:

The question is ... Does JINGER know who Lawrence Welk was? 

I suspect Jinger is massively beyond giving a rusty damn about Babe’s SM posts, regardless. She has a toddler, an infant, and a narcissist’s ego to manage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
29 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I suspect Jinger is massively beyond giving a rusty damn about Babe’s SM posts, regardless. She has a toddler, an infant, and a narcissist’s ego to manage.

Well, she grew up dealing with babies and adult narcissists, so this is not her first round.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
(edited)
1 hour ago, Teriacky said:

well of course she doesn't - music with a beat is from the devil.

Edited by crazy8s
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

The vast majority of Jeremy and Jinger's fans are Fundies of one form or another and I would imagine that "The Lawrence Welk Show", with its emphasis on clean, wholesome entertainment and traditional values, is very popular with Fundie audiences. There are probably a lot of Fundie households where the only approved TV viewing is "Counting On", "Bringing Up Bates" and "Lawrence Welk" re-runs.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 3
(edited)

Other than Lawrence Welk, I'd love to know who else's star(s) they recognized.

Oh my God, can you imagine the conversation and/or blank stares of adoration as Jinger tries to make it seem like she totally knows who Mr. T is? (I hate them both, so I'm not only picking on Jinger. I'm picking on both of them.)

Also, after Saturday evening mass, my dad watched reruns of the Lawrence Welk show AND Hee Haw on PBS in the late 80s/early 90s without fail. I did a lot of reading on Saturday evenings before my parents splurged for a second television. Reruns of LW still air on PBS every Saturday night. The only difference now is that I don't tune into PBS until after LW is over because that's when the good shows are on! haha!

I like you too much, @Zella, to even attempt to "sing" to you one of the ear worms from LW during my childhood.  

Edited by Bridget
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
Just now, Albanyguy said:

The vast majority of Jeremy and Jinger's fans are Fundies of one form or anther and I would imagine that "The Lawrence Welk Show", with its emphasis on clean, wholesome entertainment and traditional values, is very popular with Fundie audiences. There are probably a lot of Fundie households where the only approved TV viewing is "Counting On", "Bringing Up Bates" and "Lawrence Welk" re-runs.

don't forget The Andy Giffith Show that Jessa has said recently she lets her kids watch.

But I look at their commenter's pages sometimes and they are most often 50+yr old white women who "just love the show" live in the mid west etc. want to know when is the show coming back, ask for them to post more pics of the kids and so on

• Love 7

When I was waiting for my new house to be finished, I stayed at my parent's empty house (empty of people, not stuff!). I was streaming TV service, and I happened to have the channel that had Andy Griffith playing when my nephew's young boys came over.  They were watching the program, but asked what was wrong with my TV because there was no color.  They didn't believe me when I told them that all programs used to be black and white.  That was something they had never seen before.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 17
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

@Bridget, I think they did an episode when the Vuolo's and another couple were touring the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Jinger kind of stood back and didn't say much.

That may have been the same episode where the family  posed in front of the Brady Bunch house.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I just turned 35 and have been obsessed with TV since I was a toddler demanding Sesame Street, but I have never in my life run across Lawrence Welk! I’m shocked that Jeremy watched it, but apparently I was the weirdo missing out on Saturday PBS!

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

That may have been the same episode where the family  posed in front of the Brady Bunch house.

Someone please note the date and time.

As someone who owns the complete series on DVD and still watches the reruns on MeTV on Sunday, if the Vuolos went to the Brady Bunch house, I am officially JEALOUS of them. It's not like Jinger would have even known who the Bradys were during her original trip, but I'm still jealous of her. 

Adding insult to injury, I live an hour north of San Diego, so I had no reason (prior to Covid-19) to let a Duggar beat me to visiting the Brady house.

Edited by Bridget
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

Not sure if this has been discussed...

The Hope We Hold podcast viewers were steadily declining. After there initial podcast with 27k, they jumped between 4000 - 6000, then went down below 4000, unless... unless the podcasts were about or with a Duggar. 

Jeremy's testimony around 7000, Jinger's around 11k, with the Seewalds 14k, with Jordyn 16k and with Michelle 15k.

No wonder they paused. If Jinger was the one who initially wanted the break, Jeremy must have feared his numbers would have dropped significantly without her. Something I'm sure his ego couldn't handle.

Where is this couple going? Where are they going to land? Its like watching Jill and Derick all over again. Or like watching Derick on that obstacle course. 

Jessa was the only one with enough sense to pull her husband's 'career' and educational fumbles and moves off SM.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 9
  • Love 4

What usually becomes of graduates of MacArthur's Masters program?  Will Jeremy be handed a position somewhere or will he have to prove himself worthy of any sort of position.  It's obvious he'll snatch up any hollywood-related gig he can get, but that seems to be a fruitless path.

• Love 7
(edited)

I remember watching Lawrence Welk probably in the late 50s/early 60s, particularly when my grandma came to visit.  It may have been on right after Leave it to Beaver..

A quick check of tv listings in The NY Times for Saturday May 14, 1960 shows Beaver airing at 8:30pm and Welk at 9:00pm on WABC/7 in New York.

Edited by marypat57
Checked tv listings to confirm
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/6/2021 at 3:01 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Still no baby pictures!  Have we passed the three month mark since the birth?  What's up to Jeremy you little devil!  Lol

Edited by Jeanne222
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I am going to give him a pass on the lemon.  They probably have a lemon tree in their backyard and he saw an extra big one and was excited.  I will admit to doing the same thing, but of course, my Instagram is not public.  When my lemon tree first started producing large amounts of fruit I was excited. This Canadian girl never envisioned being able to go into the back yard and pick lemons right off the tree.  

The novelty does wear off.  There is only so much you can do with lemons. But if you leave them on the tree they stay good for quite a while.

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
20 hours ago, Bridget said:

conversation and/or blank stares of adoration as Jinger tries to make it seem like she totally knows who Mr. T is? (I hate them both, so I'm not only picking on Jinger. I'm picking on both of them.)

I like you too much, @Zella

She might actually know Mr.T. He has at times used his status to promote Christianity. I remember watching an apocalyptic movie called Judgment that starred Mr. T and Corbin Bernsen (of LA law). It's very much in line with Kevin Sorbo and Kirk Cameron's movies.

• Useful 5
22 hours ago, Teriacky said:

Besides the music the other staple of the Lawrence Welk show was -- dancing.   I doubt the Duggars would have risked all those young and impressionable eyes seeing the scandalous movements of those dancers around the ballroom. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

I doubt the Duggars would have risked all those young and impressionable eyes seeing the scandalous movements of those dancers around the ballroom. 

Plus a lot of the skits and dance numbers included flirting, kissing and romantic themes in general.  Can't have the J-kids seeing so many happy people giving away pieces of their hearts which cannot be rightiously fullfilled or whatever nonsense they beleive 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I did come across The Lawrence Welk Show a few months ago while channel surfing. All I could think of was how many of the people shown (performers and audience) must be dead by now...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The no pictures of their kids still has me curious. It was thought that Harry and Meghan were keeping little Archie out of the press on purpose. While that is true now, it was the Royal Family keeping him out of the press early on, because they were afraid the baby would look black.  Also, the Royals are 1000x more famous than the Vuolos and safety was and is a real risk. 

Up until a few days after EJ was born, Jinger's IG was all about her pregnancy and then the birth. It seems so weird to be so open about it and then, bam, shut it all down. And with no explanation.

If its to generate interest, it will backfire. The kids are about the only thing interesting about them, even to their followers. Fans will eventually stop clicking and looking and most won't come flurrying back if they start posting pictures again.

• Love 11

I'm more interested in this lemon than anything Jeremy has posted so far in 2021.  I live semi-local to him and our lemon tree has been producing giant lemons this year too.  He needed a size comparison with a normal sized lemon so we could see how big it is though.  First the kumquat and now the lemon.  What's next?  Hopefully, more citrus content and less about your shoes, Jeremy.

• LOL 18
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The no pictures of their kids still has me curious. It was thought that Harry and Meghan were keeping little Archie out of the press on purpose. While that is true now, it was the Royal Family keeping him out of the press early on, because they were afraid the baby would look black.  Also, the Royals are 1000x more famous than the Vuolos and safety was and is a real risk. 

Up until a few days after EJ was born, Jinger's IG was all about her pregnancy and then the birth. It seems so weird to be so open about it and then, bam, shut it all down. And with no explanation.

If its to generate interest, it will backfire. The kids are about the only thing interesting about them, even to their followers. Fans will eventually stop clicking and looking and most won't come flurrying back if they start posting pictures again.

And even their kids aren’t particularly interesting, IMO. Yawn!

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

TLC posted a 60 second update piece. Still can't see "Baby Jo's" face, but she was there. Felicity gave her a lemon. 

Not seeing her face surprised me. It was intentional since the Duggars usually forward face their infants in pictures and these types of updates. Maybe the birthmark is more apparent. Hopefully, they're doing so to protect her from mean comments rather than thinking there is something wrong with her.

All of this time I thought it was because Jinger felt overwhelmed with a newborn and toddler or maybe the backlash from nicknaming Evangeline Evy made them want to step back from social media.  I do like that she goes by Jo.

47 minutes ago, birkenstock said:

Not seeing her face surprised me. It was intentional since the Duggars usually forward face their infants in pictures and these types of updates. Maybe the birthmark is more apparent. Hopefully, they're doing so to protect her from mean comments rather than thinking there is something wrong with her.

All of this time I thought it was because Jinger felt overwhelmed with a newborn and toddler or maybe the backlash from nicknaming Evangeline Evy made them want to step back from social media.  I do like that she goes by Jo.

Is there some type of information that the baby has a birthmark?   If that's the case it's sad that would be a disqualifier for social media, yet I could understand if they had fears about how cruel comments might be.   Not that social media is a necessity for children, or anyone, by any means.   

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Is there some type of information that the baby has a birthmark?   If that's the case it's sad that would be a disqualifier for social media, yet I could understand if they had fears about how cruel comments might be.   Not that social media is a necessity for children, or anyone, by any means.   

No we are just speculating why Jingle and baby daddy stopped posting pictures of the kids.

Edited by iwantcookies
  • Love 2
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Evangeline had a red mark on her forehead at birth.  I had thought it was a stork bite (nevus simplex) at the time. I should have been more clear about why I thought that it may actually be a permanent birthmark.  

I agree social media or any media isn't a necessity. However, it is strange given their past social media and that Felicity is the main focus in the video while Evangeline's back is to the camera.

Edited by birkenstock
  • Useful 3