Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
22 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wasn't quite sure where Bellflower was (other than by LA). They could have taken Ben and gone into Compton with all of his experience with POC and rap.

LOL!  

Will never forget the time I took my teenage daughter to look at her first used car in Compton.  It was for sale from someone in "Beverly Hills", but he was at work and we had to meet him in another part of town. ;)  I had no idea where we were but quickly l realized that two blonde females did not fit in.  

Bin would be more of a target than we were - but it would make for a show I wouldn't miss. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 3
On 3/3/2017 at 3:10 AM, GeeGolly said:

Michelle has had one job - to raise her kids. And in her case Gothard even provided booklets on how to do this. It makes me wonder what kind of mom this woman who has no heart for children would have been without all these Fundy restraints/guidelines. I'm guessing she wouldn't have fared much better.

She would have only had one-three kids to screw up because she was so emotionally distanced. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, kalamac said:

I won't side eye Jeremy for this, unless it turns out he's forcing Jinger to accept his choices against her will, because she is looking nice.

Yep, this is it. Yeah, Jeremy, that's a good idea. Or .... uh-oh.      Could go either way. 

Remember how Jinger's always been known as the Duggar fashionista? What I wonder is -- Did she believe she was the Duggar fashionista? Or does she know that the Duggars didn't have a fashionista and she doesn't know jack so she would welcome advice from a normal person? ..... But if she actually has this artistic eye and concern for style and stuff that it's always been said she did -- and that she indicated she did? -- why wouldn't she be the kind of person who'd be perfectly able to pick out good clothes on her own, as soon as she didn't have to shop with the rest of the Duggars any more? Why wouldn't she really want to do that instead of being told what to wear?  

• Love 2

@Natalie68 TY for the compliment, we are just average parents trying to prepare our girl for whatever path she chooses in life. As a SW I admire those who are honest with themselves and make the courageous choice of not having children. It is not for everyone and I'd never judge someone for choosing what is best. If more people were like you there'd be a lot less kids in foster care, lot less kids abused and neglected, like the 19.

@Churchhoney I have read many of your posts and have always been impressed with your knowledge and empathy about those bound by indoctrination. IF Jeremy did pick Jinger's clothes, may I posit that perhaps it is easier for the fundie fashionista to take that step under the umbrella of protection of her headship? For example, eating pork for the first time was a HUGE step for me. I said I would do it and I knew I'd follow through on that promise. But it was so reassuring when my husband leaned over and whispered, "It's OK, you are not betraying your grandma, you are not sinning, it's just food." 

Or maybe I'm really overthinking this since I've been up all night.  :)

• Love 16

Jinger did not look anxious at all in that sleeveless dress, and the fit was perfect.  So, if Jeremy picked it out, she had a lot of influence with it.  My guess: since they spent 3 days after the wedding in the US before they went to overseas, they probably went shopping.  Therefore, Jinger could buy what she wanted as she wasn't 'accountable' to Jim Bob and Michelle.   Jeremy probably did have to be supportive and tell her she wouldn't get struck by lightning for wearing it. It had to be after the wedding (or on a shopping trip with his Mom) if Jeremy was present because Jinger wouldn't have been able to go otherwise. 

• Love 8
24 minutes ago, SMama said:

@Churchhoney I have read many of your posts and have always been impressed with your knowledge and empathy about those bound by indoctrination. IF Jeremy did pick Jinger's clothes, may I posit that perhaps it is easier for the fundie fashionista to take that step under the umbrella of protection of her headship? For example, eating pork for the first time was a HUGE step for me. I said I would do it and I knew I'd follow through on that promise. But it was so reassuring when my husband leaned over and whispered, "It's OK, you are not betraying your grandma, you are not sinning, it's just food." 

Or maybe I'm really overthinking this since I've been up all night.  :)

I think you make an excellent point! (you sound like a person who's wide awake, to me!)

As I said, I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, I think it's fine to be somebody else's fashion guide, and I think you're exactly right about it a lot of times being easier to take first steps with somebody else giving you cover.

But then my other mind comes in because Jeremy has kind of given me the heebie jeebies ever since he showed up -- For some reason, I get "he's-likely-to-be-a-stealth-control-freak" vibes from him. That could be 100 percent bogus, of course, especially since I don't actually watch the show and have seen Jer only in clips and in his sermons online and such. But since I've gotten that vibe, the skeptical interpretation of whatever I hear about him always comes up for me. And I could be completely misjudging him! 

I also had the opposite reaction to yours, on the clothes front, anyway. I was never allowed to pick my own clothes, so I was thrilled when I got the chance to do it. To this day, I can't stand to have anybody with me when I look for clothes -- I'm still making up for not having any choice in the matter until I left home at 18. (Of course at that point I didn't have a dime to buy any new clothes, so it was a while before I got to exercise my choice!). On other matters, I've definitely had your pork experience, though. 

• Love 5

@Churchhoney I completely understand the vibes you get from Jeremy. The meek comment was not received well by many of us, and for good reasons. Sadly anyone who marries into that freak show is immediately suspect.

I get you about the clothes, I was always given a choice, but do hate shopping for myself. But I'm a mean shopping machine when it comes to husband and kids.

• Love 1

Putting it in this thead also although I hate cross-posting.  Jeremy was in California to attend a church pastor conference here.  It's called the Shepherd's Conference.  The church is in Sun Valley which is out beyond Burbank. 

2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yep, this is it. Yeah, Jeremy, that's a good idea. Or .... uh-oh.      Could go either way. 

Remember how Jinger's always been known as the Duggar fashionista? What I wonder is -- Did she believe she was the Duggar fashionista? Or does she know that the Duggars didn't have a fashionista and she doesn't know jack so she would welcome advice from a normal person? ..... But if she actually has this artistic eye and concern for style and stuff that it's always been said she did -- and that she indicated she did? -- why wouldn't she be the kind of person who'd be perfectly able to pick out good clothes on her own, as soon as she didn't have to shop with the rest of the Duggars any more? Why wouldn't she really want to do that instead of being told what to wear?  

Haven't looked at Jinger's latest outfits yet so not comment on that, but your post does remind me of an episode of 19kac--probably the flea market one--where Jinger was really upset on finding some of her clothes in the racks for sale. Besides the fact that I thought it weird that she made it a point to mention they were *her* clothes  when they supposedly lived out of a communal closet, I also thought it spoke to the fact that she really cares about clothes. Whether she has good tastes in them is a different matter, but I think she really wants to look good, and since she clearly likes to follow others, I can imagine her and Jeremy out shopping together and her not choosing anything until she asks what he thinks of it. Jeremy screams "controlling" to me, but as of yet Jinger doesn't have the personality for that to show much,  because she actively wants his approval in everything she does.

He really knew what he was doing in choosing Jinger, didn't he?

• Love 3
(edited)

All this talk about Jinger's clothing choices makes me wonder...so I have a question for those of you who adhered to dietary (no pork, etc.) and strict dress codes growing up as part of Fundamentalist Christian religious belief...can you please explain why?  

Heres my take:  dietary and dress laws in the Bible are Old Testament.  I was always taught as a Christian we were to follow the New Testament with a few exceptions from the old, like the Ten Commandments (which are restated in the New Testament).  It's my understanding that dietary and dress laws set in place in the Old Testament were not (for the most part) meant to be carried over by Christians.  Because Jesus.

I noticed quite a few times where the Duggars did not eat pork.  And we all know their beliefs on dress (all except for during pregnancy and now Ginger's new "look").   Just wondering why there is adherence to Jewish dietary and dress tradition /Old Testament law when they are self-proclaimed Christians and are not supposed to be bound by it?

Thanks in advance for your insight!  This has confused me for quite a while.  It seems as if they believe that the Jewish people "have it right" in some aspects, like dress and food,  but not when it comes to Jesus.  

Edited by Lady Edith
Because "park" is not the same as "pork"
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, mom2two said:

mostly lurker, but if you watch the honeymoon episode, when they landed and went to their hotel, Jinger was wearing leggings with an oversized shirt dress. 

Same outfit as worn when(ever... just to annoy y'all) they left the "honeymoon suite."

18 hours ago, SMama said:

Not such a bad thing if he did. When I was a court SW our supervisor expected us to dress accordingly. My husband put some outfits together for me. Much to my chagrin I got many compliments when he "dressed" me. The funny thing is that I'm better at selecting what suits him. He would put on a T-shirt and shorts/jeans for anything (while picking great professional outfits for me). Then I returned the favor and he has a wardrobe for every occasion. It's weird as hell, but it works for us. 

18 hours ago, kalamac said:

Yeah, my fashion is limited to jeans, and whatever t-shirt is at the top of the clean pile (today it's Supergirl). If I need to look fancy I get my heterosexual, warehouse worker, male housemate to pick something that will look decent, because he cares about clothes and knows what goes together. 

I won't side eye Jeremy for this, unless it turns out he's forcing Jinger to accept his choices against her will, because she is looking nice.

I have zero fashion sense, so DH helps me shop for clothes.  I also hate shopping, so I'm more or less dragged when it's time.   I'm thinking Jeremy took Jinger shopping after the wedding to get vacation clothes. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, mom2two said:

mostly lurker, but if you watch the honeymoon episode, when they landed and went to their hotel, Jinger was wearing leggings with an oversized shirt dress. 

I LOVED seeing that.  One small step for Jing, one giant LEAP towards Michelle having an aneurysm!  I would have loved to know her reaction to the sleeveless-in-the-kitchen outfit too!  *ROFL*

• Love 6

Looks like Diana has shown Jinge the inside of a Dillard's! I'm impressed with her honeymoon wardrobe, and wonder how she got it that quickly. It is possible that if they were in Arkansas for a few days before they left, they could have hit the mall. Just imagine Jinger's excitement about being able to buy brand new clothes that she actually really loves!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I'm thinking Jeremy took Jinger shopping after the wedding to get vacation clothes. 

I think so as well. Everything Jinger wore looked new and well-fitted. It wasn't the usual faded, stretched out frump-wear the Duggar girls usually sport. The shirt dress with the leggings and ankle boots was an outfit you'd see on any woman Jinger's age. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

All this talk about Jinger's clothing choices makes me wonder...so I have a question for those of you who adhered to dietary (no pork, etc.) and strict dress codes growing up as part of Fundamentalist Christian religious belief...can you please explain why?  

Heres my take:  dietary and dress laws in the Bible are Old Testament.  I was always taught as a Christian we were to follow the New Testament with a few exceptions from the old, like the Ten Commandments (which are restated in the New Testament).  It's my understanding that dietary and dress laws set in place in the Old Testament were not (for the most part) meant to be carried over by Christians.  Because Jesus.

I noticed quite a few times where the Duggars did not eat pork.  And we all know their beliefs on dress (all except for during pregnancy and now Ginger's new "look").   Just wondering why there is adherence to Jewish dietary and dress tradition /Old Testament law when they are self-proclaimed Christians and are not supposed to be bound by it?

Thanks in advance for your insight!  This has confused me for quite a while.  It seems as if they believe that the Jewish people "have it right" in some aspects, like dress and food,  but not when it comes to Jesus.  

Not me personally, but for my relatives who did, it's a mix of things. For some, it's the inability to not be legalistic and not be able to discern what to follow and what not to. Bible says (or tradition says to choose these one or two verses and hyperfocus, because that's what grandaddy did, and we're too sheeplike to research it for ourselves, or to find out grandaddy didn't know everything). For others, it's trying to set themselves apart as special snowflakes who have special knowledge from the Lord, and are holier than everyone else, because they do something extra and non-mainstream AKA Jill and Derrick. For a few, it's control. Telling someone how to dress and what to eat, it's all about dominance and control. You want acceptance as one of God's Chosen, then do what we say, no matter how off the wall or unnecessary, or you'll be flung from the flock for eternity AKA Gothard and Jessa.

I have nothing against people who are Jewish or Judaism. If this is your path, it's usually a good path (I say 'usually,' because there are extreme nuts everywhere). However, I also don't understand why so many evangelical and fundamental Christians are so into incorporating in a bunch of Jewish traditions. I don't understand why so many think they're super special for actually recognizing that Judaism stemmed from the same branch. Reinventing the wheel kills me. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Looks like Diana has shown Jinge the inside of a Dillard's! I'm impressed with her honeymoon wardrobe, and wonder how she got it that quickly. It is possible that if they were in Arkansas for a few days before they left, they could have hit the mall. Just imagine Jinger's excitement about being able to buy brand new clothes that she actually really loves!

And not have to share!!!!

• Love 10

Whew! Finally caught up. Sorry about the full mailboxes! I haven't watched the show since Josh....But just had to find out where Jinger. I'm feeling a lil shakey on the JHusband but she looks great modern. I used to think she'd be the one to branch out so I guess we will see.

Oh....the wedding cake. It appears to be a Hillbilly style Casada Cake. Traditional Italian wedding cake. Layers of cake, strawberry and custard. I couldn't even find a baker to mine in Virginia in the 90's.   

• Love 3

Grew up evangelical/fundie and our churches and schools were very legalistic about dress, music, movies (no skirts above the knee, no secular music, no dancing, no gambling, no drinking, blah blah) yet nothing about food.  No mention of not eating pork, except to reference how this was done by the Jews in the OT.  I did meet Messianic Jews who did not eat pork (but even so- why even them, if Jesus?), but I can't imagine why Christians would feel this is necessary- would love some input from those who know!  

I really do feel the picking and choosing of what to follow and what not to follow from the OT/NT is strange and culturally driven!

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, awaken said:

Grew up evangelical/fundie and our churches and schools were very legalistic about dress, music, movies (no skirts above the knee, no secular music, no dancing, no gambling, no drinking, blah blah) yet nothing about food.  No mention of not eating pork, except to reference how this was done by the Jews in the OT.  I did meet Messianic Jews who did not eat pork (but even so- why even them, if Jesus?), but I can't imagine why Christians would feel this is necessary- would love some input from those who know!  

I really do feel the picking and choosing of what to follow and what not to follow from the OT/NT is strange and culturally driven!

I'm going to respond in the Old Time Religion thread...

13 hours ago, mom2two said:

That's what she left the hotel room in. Looked comfortable for that long, long flight. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

I couldn't remember this off the top of my head, so I looked it up:

https://www.gotquestions.org/dress-modestly.html

Short version so as not to derail thread:  Paul lectures on modesty of dress in 1 Timothy, which is New Testament.  Also contains a couple other cross references (NT and OT).

4 hours ago, queenanne said:

I couldn't remember this off the top of my head, so I looked it up:

https://www.gotquestions.org/dress-modestly.html

Short version so as not to derail thread:  Paul lectures on modesty of dress in 1 Timothy, which is New Testament.  Also contains a couple other cross references (NT and OT).

Got sucked into a rabbit hole.

“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight” (1 Peter 3:3-5)."

If this is what the Duggars believe then how do they justify jewelry, make-up & curled hair and literally braided hair? The Duggars inconsistency is the only thing consistent about them.

• Love 8
Just now, GeeGolly said:

“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight” (1 Peter 3:3-5)."

If this is what the Duggars believe then how do they justify jewelry, make-up & curled hair and literally braided hair? The Duggars inconsistency is the only thing consistent about them.

Oh, I think it's okay to do all this stuff as long as you're not obsessed with it and it doesn't hold the key to your self-worth, is the justification.  You're supposed to be proudest of yourself of being a nice person.

Of course, that leaves it up to the folks doing the perceiving of you, as to whether or not you are "obsessed with your looks" (duck-lipped selfies gazing into a mirror like Narcissus, anyone?).  

I wonder, that said... has anyone truly seen a Duggar with "braided hair"?  I myself cannot remember.  Maybe they're just that manic about it, they won't braid.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Oh, I think it's okay to do all this stuff as long as you're not obsessed with it and it doesn't hold the key to your self-worth, is the justification.  You're supposed to be proudest of yourself of being a nice person.

Of course, that leaves it up to the folks doing the perceiving of you, as to whether or not you are "obsessed with your looks" (duck-lipped selfies gazing into a mirror like Narcissus, anyone?).  

I wonder, that said... has anyone truly seen a Duggar with "braided hair"?  I myself cannot remember.  Maybe they're just that manic about it, they won't braid.

They braid their hair all the time, especially Joy and Jill and the Littles often have a small braid tucked into their hairstyle.

et_duggars_111516_hulu.jpgJoy-Anna-Duggar-Courtship-Rumor.jpg

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Peter Schmeter. Bill G trumps all those bible writers every time. 

And Bill G's instructions are very precise. A lot of them even come with diagrams. Top that, you slack-off epistle writers. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
On 04/03/2017 at 8:58 AM, Churchhoney said:

Jinger may have been the family fashionista but she was still working within pretty tight boundaries. We've heard Babe's interpretation of modest so maybe he's making suggestions and widening her fashion horizons. It could be the eye-opening experience we all hope for her. 

• Love 5

Anti fangirl (also known as Pickles) posted a few photos of the happy couple. I don't think I've ever seen Jinger looks so relaxed and happy, fuller in the face too, so hopefully she's eating alright.

• Love 2
On 3/4/2017 at 9:17 AM, mom2two said:

I actually loved that outfit. I thought she looked great in it and would have copied it in a heartbeat if I did not have all this medication weight on.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, dorcastrilling said:

I actually loved that outfit. I thought she looked great in it and would have copied it in a heartbeat if I did not have all this medication weight on.

I loved it too. I thought she looked adorable and modern. 

• Love 6

Maybe she is wearing whatever she wants with Jeremy! You know someone with an interest in fashion wouldn't want to be limited to a small pool of anything. I can see jinger wanting to branch out from skirts, and Jeremy encouraging her! And you can see her whole knee!

• Love 10

Love it! She seems to be moving, albeit in baby steps, further from the fold than anyone thus far. I'm still not sold on Jeremy for a variety of reasons, but so far he seems to be giving her a bit of freedom. Even if it eventually ends up being his own brand of controlling, it seems at least a bit less restrictive than the Duggars', so anything could be a step forward...

• Love 17
On 2/21/2017 at 4:33 PM, BitterApple said:

If Jinger chooses to wear shorts, then she most definitely will wear pants in cooler weather. And the world hasn't ended!

She is still very conservatively dressed.  She looks like a mail carrier.

I just wish Jinger could wash and brush her hair. And cut it.

But the shorts are a good thing.

• Love 12

Why oh why couldn't I be there when Boob and Mullet blew their tops about the picture? I know it's petty of me but like someone else noted, the young lady wore shorts and the world did not come to an end. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Wonder what we'll see if the visitor ban is extended to a year. 

I was thinking along those same lines. Six months for her to get comfortable doing her thing before being challenged, or feeling challenged, by the clan. 

• Love 6