Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I believe Chuck is an actual ordained minister with actual educational training.

My educated guess is that Jeremy is not.  He was "ordained' by another pastor. That is common in more "rogue" churches (for lack of a better word).  They pray over the man, commission him and send him to a church plant.  When the planted church grows, Jeremy will then "commission" another man to go and do a church plant as a pastor. The cycle continues spreading churches out and spreading the gospel.

30 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I think the plain answer is neither one.  As said above he was ordained by the original church of the church plant where he is serving.  That is he was ordained by the non-denominational (read no church hierarchy to be in charge/no formal organization and no seminaries) church in San Antonio. 

This is ... I can't even find the rights words - scary, crazy ... really, I can't find the words to express how I feel about a room full of people listening to a stranger lead them in their spiritual lives. It doesn't make sense to me. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

I believe Chuck is an actual ordained minister with actual educational training.

My educated guess is that Jeremy is not.  He was "ordained' by another pastor. That is common in more "rogue" churches (for lack of a better word).  They pray over the man, commission him and send him to a church plant.  When the planted church grows, Jeremy will then "commission" another man to go and do a church plant as a pastor. The cycle continues spreading churches out and spreading the gospel.

38 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I think the plain answer is neither one.  As said above he was ordained by the original church of the church plant where he is serving.  That is he was ordained by the non-denominational (read no church hierarchy to be in charge/no formal organization and no seminaries) church in San Antonio. 

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know the answer and I don't know if this video has the answer because I didn't watch, but this is a link to Jeremy's ordination. 

http://illbehonest.com/a-churchs-responsibility-to-their-pastors-chuck-vuolo

Thanks to you all. Its leaning to what I was thinking. I really just wanted to question it because posters were dishing Ben and Derrick and giving Jeremy credit for having credentials he probably doesn't have either.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't know the answer and I don't know if this video has the answer because I didn't watch, but this is a link to Jeremy's ordination. 

http://illbehonest.com/a-churchs-responsibility-to-their-pastors-chuck-vuolo

"SADLY" women want to become pastors? Chuckie said it twice in the first couple of minutes. He also brought up ego. That rings alarm bells with me when Jeremy is concerned. He even admitted it. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

"SADLY" women want to become pastors? Chuckie said it twice in the first couple of minutes. He also brought up ego. That rings alarm bells with me when Jeremy is concerned. He even admitted it. 

Nice! Maybe Chuckie should spend time with Ole Tim Robertson, who threw a Facebook hissy fit over women attending a men's prayer group. Never mind trivial matters such as rape, the real crime is co-ed Bible Study. 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, one of Chuck's specialties seems to be "Biblical gender roles." So, you know ..... 

2 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

I've been wondering about this and hope someone here will know and provide some info. I'm assuming Chuck is ordained from some source but do we know that for sure and that really leads to my questioning of Jeremy. He went to school and I assume graduated with some sort of a non-ministerial degree. He didn't seem to use it and played soccer for a few years. Did he really have enough time to go back to school and become degreed, trained and ordained or did Dad's church just plant him?

It was quite a short time between his departure from the last soccer team and his faux ordination. So if there was any training involved, my guess is that it was individual reading, a few trial sermons and some chats with the other pastors. He really didn't have time for anything else. 

• Love 5

Jeremy has confessed to liking attention. I'd say that most pastors/preachers do. 

Churchie, I think he had about 18 months between the soccer team folding and his "ordination." But before that, according to his bio, he'd already hooked up with the San Antonio church with an eye toward ministry. 

So the story goes at any rate. 

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jeremy has confessed to liking attention. I'd say that most pastors/preachers do. 

Churchie, I think he had about 18 months between the soccer team folding and his "ordination." But before that, according to his bio, he'd already hooked up with the San Antonio church with an eye toward ministry. 

So the story goes at any rate. 

Yeah, my sense of time-till-ordination is probably warped by my acquaintance only with people who've gone to, you know, seminary.     ; )        And that's so 1999.  ! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Imagine the level of ego it takes to think that you can lead a congregation without any education or training. 

Or be a midwife without any real training...

Or an airline pilot...

Or a mechanic...

Or a carpenter/ builder

When you have a dad with a high school diploma from a private Christian school in Arkansas who also has contempt for higher education and who makes sure his own kids don't even get the most remedial level of home school education...

• Love 11
On 2/27/2017 at 6:22 PM, Marigold said:

But doesn't educational training make Jesus cry? 

45 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh dear. Jeremy interviewed the Banana Man (aka Kirky Cameron's bosom buddy). There is now officially no hope for him. 

Ewww. And not only is it Ray Comfort, but here's Jeremy going down that same road Bin keeps trying to go down -- "professional" (ha) interviewer of high-profile fundy men. .... Hard to see that this isn't a related effort from Jer. Wonder if the boys and Boob are trying to put together some Duggar-media-megachurch empire with this crap. 

• Love 1

From a publicist's perspective, and not judging the content or guest because nah - not my bag, Jeremy has a long way to go if he is looking to establish himself as an "entertainment evangelical journalist."  His voice is too soft and meek, he is ill-prepared, he repeats himself several times within the same question and he's far too nervous with his "esteemed" guest. He is letting the guest guide the interview, which is a big no no. He doesn't have a clear direction for this interview - he has no defined path for the conversation. Basically, he's coming across like a fanboy, not as an equal. Even if I were interested in what the guest had to say, I'd be uncomfortable with Jeremy's amateurish manner. A handful of Counting On experiences in front of the camera have done nothing to prepare him for this line of work, no matter what he thinks. He needs massive amounts of media training before he tries this again.  

• Love 11
9 hours ago, Magoo said:

From a publicist's perspective, and not judging the content or guest because nah - not my bag, Jeremy has a long way to go if he is looking to establish himself as an "entertainment evangelical journalist."  His voice is too soft and meek, he is ill-prepared, he repeats himself several times within the same question and he's far too nervous with his "esteemed" guest. He is letting the guest guide the interview, which is a big no no. He doesn't have a clear direction for this interview - he has no defined path for the conversation. Basically, he's coming across like a fanboy, not as an equal. Even if I were interested in what the guest had to say, I'd be uncomfortable with Jeremy's amateurish manner. A handful of Counting On experiences in front of the camera have done nothing to prepare him for this line of work, no matter what he thinks. He needs massive amounts of media training before he tries this again.  

You said it. And, to me, comes off exactly like Bin. Despite having more years of education and experience in real-world situations, including professional sports.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they're imagining some media empire arising from this. And without getting any (or much, anyway) training. Because they're just that a) dumb and b) arrogant.

Similarly, wouldn't surprise me if they aren't also contemplating that "lifestyle and cooking for the BEST Christians" show that people have mentioned, for Jessa.

I think it's clear as day that Bin, Der and Jer married into this family because they're famewhores, and they're determined to get their fame. I don't for a minute think that any of them contemplated marrying a Duggar and then having a quiet normal life at home -- even if part of it was being a pastor. Pastor wouldn't be enough adulation for them. And of course we know that the married Duggar girls are famewhores, since that's what they've been raised to be. 

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think it's clear as day that Bin, Der and Jer married into this family because they're famewhores, and they're determined to get their fame. I don't for a minute think that any of them contemplated marrying a Duggar and then having a quiet normal life at home -- even if part of it was being a pastor. Pastor wouldn't be enough adulation for them. And of course we know that the married Duggar girls are famewhores, since that's what they've been raised to be. 

You described Ben, Derick and Jeremy.

They all want to be ministers and being a minister is not a glamorous job at all.  Unless you hit it really big, you just have a tiny church and no one knows you name.

Marrying a Duggar girl is a ticket to quick fame. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Magoo said:

Enjoyed this comment.

I know zero about publicity and I learned a few things with your post.  You are totally correct!  Jeremy meanders around with his interviews and sermons also. Poorly prepared and looks kinda fangirl. 

• Love 5

I get why back in the day Michelle divided the buddy teams and created the jurisdictions just to get things done in a consistent manner. However, maybe she should've rotated the jurisdictions so they all developed more than one specialized household skill.

With the exception of Janerella, who seems to have taken it upon herself to develop more interests/hobbies etc., none of them are well rounded.

Jana can sew and be the real Mom, Jinger can cook, Jessa can pack a suitcase, I don't know what Jill does besides walk around like a know it all giving bad advice. The boys do yard work. Little kids round up laundry to force on Grandma and Joy. They have that live in girl to run homefooling.

Is this why Jill doesn't even think to match clothes, take care of basic hygiene, baby proof, etc. If she's the "reader" of the family, you'd think she'd come across a magazine article or just hear other moms talk about baby proofing, and think 'oh, hey, I need to do this at my new house."

As hyperfocused as this family is on marriage, homemaking, babies, basic life skills, etc., you'd think they'd have a clue as to actually do these things. It's not like they're actually going out to work everyday or focusing on education.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

You described Ben, Derick and Jeremy.

They all want to be ministers and being a minister is not a glamorous job at all.  Unless you hit it really big, you just have a tiny church and no one knows you name.

Marrying a Duggar girl is a ticket to quick fame. 

I do think that they envision "minister" or "missionary" as being a more fame-oriented job than, say, accountant or windshield-replacement expert, though. I guess I see them wanting the minister or missionary thing mainly/partly for that reason before they thought of being Duggars because they liked to think of people admiring them up in the pulpit. It looked more ego-satisfying than other things they might do (especially because they've been involved in churches that are pretty authoritarian and quite sexist -- I can be a minister in CHARGE! -- and also not social-justice-type churches but minister-spends-most-time-telling-people-they're-sinners (Again, I can be a guy in CHARGE!).

But then, I envision each of them feeling a little disappointed about what that might be like -- for the reasons you mention -- and suddenly hitting on the idea: But if I married a DUGGAR!  Then I could ascend to big-time minister-missionary-potential-for-big-church-reality-tv-star-at-the-same-time! YAY!

I see it as a two-step career-decision process, but both driven primarily by ego! 

• Love 2

I watched about 9 minutes of that video and thought Jeremy did well as it progressed. He busted out several scriptures, had clearly prepped thoroughly his questions, and seemed genuinely interested in the topic. If they'd been talking about a movie, I would have been impressed with the amount of detail in Jeremy's questions and knowledge of the film. But they are talking about evangelism, and I can only think ugh, we've all heard the "good news", so please, please don't force your beliefs on others. Jeremy is "on fire" for Jesus and that's a point of view I've never understood.

• Love 3

I watched a couple of minutes, I have a weird aversion to this stuff. In the couple of minutes I watched I felt Jeremy was leaps and bounds better than Ben. I'm not saying he was good, I'm just saying he was better than Ben. I've seen YouTube videos of 3 years olds playing weather forecaster that are better than Ben.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I watched a couple of minutes, I have a weird aversion to this stuff. In the couple of minutes I watched I felt Jeremy was leaps and bounds better than Ben. I'm not saying he was good, I'm just saying he was better than Ben. I've seen YouTube videos of 3 years olds playing weather forecaster that are better than Ben.

Both Bin and Jermy dance better than Derick..not saying much.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, SMama said:

Jinger can cook?  By cook I refer from scratch not placing a frozen lasagna and rolls in the oven. 

She can at least grind her own flour and bake bread. She's also th only one who has shown an inkling if interest when they've had people showing them how to cook over the years. It was interesting to me that Jinger was the one who actually showed the most domestic aptitude - like she was interested and enjoyed learning kitchen tips, etc. instead of seeming bored (Jessa), nice but not really interested (Jana) or more into proclaiming the importance of homemaking and traditional roles, while having clue how to actually perform any domestic tasks (Dumbass Jill). 

• Love 6

I don't watch so I'm happy to know at least one of them can get by and is willing to learn. When I met my husband he could only grill and make salads. He is the product of two great cooks/foodies. He was willing to learn and now out cooks me. Good for Jinger.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, SMama said:

I don't watch so I'm happy to know at least one of them can get by and is willing to learn. When I met my husband he could only grill and make salads. He is the product of two great cooks/foodies. He was willing to learn and now out cooks me. Good for Jinger.

Your husband also probably didn't preach the superiority of grooming daughters with the primary purpose of being keepers of the home. My biggest question mark with these fools is why are all these girls so domestically challenged, if they've been trained all their lives to be homemakers?

• Love 7
(edited)

You are right he doesn't, our nine year old has been "cooking" next to us since she came home at sixteen months. She now makes a mean cream cheese garlic sauce all by herself (with proper supervision). We are also spending quite a bit in after school STEM classes, and our house has an obscene amount of Legos, not the girly type, but the ones "for boys", hate that expression. And she took archery for two years, and karate since she was in kinder. Why? Because we want her to be well rounded, kick ass, and not depend on a man for upkeep and protection. The downside? Don't get her started on people who have "litters" of kids, and has some serious political opinions. In short she is darn opinionated. She has even informed us that she does not know if she wants to have children, and we applaud her for not going alone Ng with her friends who already think about motherhood.  She is not waiting for Prince Charming. Guess we had that coming.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

My biggest question mark with these fools is why are all these girls so domestically challenged, if they've been trained all their lives to be homemakers?

The first part of the problem is that Michelle herself would have had to know how to be a homemaker or to have known she didn't know and was willing to learn.  She didn't.  Then the daughters would have had to have known that mama didn't know how to do these things properly and have been willing to learn plus had the knowledge and ability to learn and known where to find out and have had access to those places and have not have it called too worldly.

• Love 6

Yah, didn't watch because I wouldn't be able to tell if it was well done or not. This might disappoint some people, but their following on social media can be tapped for them to make a living. Jeremy could get some support on Patreon. At least people would be paying for something they have an interest in (Jeremy's sermons), rather than the grifters who just want money for something no one can verify (Dericks conversion of one person).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Your husband also probably didn't preach the superiority of grooming daughters with the primary purpose of being keepers of the home. My biggest question mark with these fools is why are all these girls so domestically challenged, if they've been trained all their lives to be homemakers?

In retrospect, didn't Michelle tell us/the women?  

"Anyone" can make your husband a sandwich.  Only you can righteously fulfill his desires."

Maybe she meant that "anyone", literally.  Food is so comparatively unimportant when juxtaposed against "The Running of the Bull", cooking is a functionality to be just tossed off on anyone who happens to be standing nearby.  

• Love 5
(edited)
On 3/2/2017 at 9:23 PM, RazzleberryPie said:

What everyone else said in reply. Add to this Michelle was 17 when she got married.  Most 17 year-olds I know aren't ready to be homemakers.  So she had limited domestic skills. Most people I know really get start working on  building domestic skills in their twenties. In Michelle's case this would explain why she never developed more say cooking skills, she was too busy with all the little children.  It also explains why Jana has more hobbies and talents as she is the only one who wasn't married or courting for most of her twenties. 

Edited by Temperance
I'm changing are to aren't, which is what I meant.
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

What everyone else said in reply. Add to this Michelle was 17 when she got married.  Most 17 year-olds I know are ready to be homemakers.  So she had limited domestic skills. Most people I know really get start working on  building domestic skills in their twenties. In Michelle's case this would explain why she never developed more say cooking skills, she was too busy with all the little children.  It also explains why Jana has more hobbies and talents as she is the only one who wasn't married or courting for most of her twenties. 

That explains Michelle but is doesn't explain the rest of them. The children have a grandma and aunt nearby, there are cookbooks and the internet. They had nothing but time on their hands.

My mother could fix a leak, install a floor and cook almost anything, yet I wouldn't have described her as overly domestic, and she worked outside the home. I was either in school, outside playing or with my nose in a book and I managed to pick up basic cooking skills from either helping or being in close proximity to my mom. And I was not raised to be a housewife.

Michelle has had one job - to raise her kids. And in her case Gothard even provided booklets on how to do this. It makes me wonder what kind of mom this woman who has no heart for children would have been without all these Fundy restraints/guidelines. I'm guessing she wouldn't have fared much better.

I think Jinger is one of those resilient kids who was able to buy into Fundyism and still keep a part of herself alive. And maybe Jeremy saw this in her too. Jessa is a grown ass adult who is still a brat, and without ordering her family around, ranting Bible quotes and popping out babies who is she? And Jill - she has no idea who she is.

Jinger might be the one who can manage the real world without going totally rogue.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

She grinds her own flour?  How does someone do that?  Seriously, does she have a grist mill or something?

They had a little hand meal where they actually ground wheat. For a while there, Gothard insisted on families grinding their own wheat and baking while wheat bread every single day. Only enough for one day so they had to do it everyday. Literal (over)interpretation of 'give us this day, our daily bread' in the Lord's Prayer. 

ETA mill not meal autocorrect

(edited)
11 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I do sometimes wonder whether this could be their unconscious means of rebellion against the absurd and unfair things they were expected to do as young kids, at the same time as they weren't really being cared for or parented at all themselves, just bossed around on behalf of God. They never had any chances at more normal or open rebellion against it, and it was unnatural as all hell, so I kinda think it's a possibility. 

7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

She grinds her own flour?  How does someone do that?  Seriously, does she have a grist mill or something?

You can buy little milling machines. They kind of look like meat grinders. 

I think there may have been some Gothard thing about how you were supposed to have one? ..... Hard to see that that would be much of a "survival" tactic or whatever, since you'd have to come up with wheat berries or whatever somewhere (well, I suppose in desperation you could use acorns or something). So I assume that, if I'm not just imagining this, it's supposed to have some symbolic-of-marriage value or something. .... Probably explained in a Wisdumb book somewhere.

Edited by Churchhoney
Day late, Dollar short
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, SMama said:

She does rather seem the type who might actually learn to enjoy cooking if she really got started in it and expanded her culinary horizons. I'm the product of a good, though very basic old-country cook in my mother and a father with a very limited, if uncomplaining palate. Cooking never interested me at all when I was growing up, and when I got married, my skills were limited to scrambled eggs and cheese-on-toast. It wasn't until a few months later, pregnant and at home (just like a Duggar daughter! LOL) that I started watching Julia Child on TV and finding just how exciting cooking could be!

• Love 3

Michelle raised her girls to be GODLY wives and not just any old housewife. She always was and still is lazy so teaching her kids anything wasn't high on the priority list. Just charting her cycle had to be really exhausting let me tell you. And going to Starbucks. And ignoring barefoot kids walking on countertops. So yea she's been exhausted since she gave birth to Josh and continues to be to this day.

And Blob doesn't have what you could call a sophisticated palate. She could feed him dog food and he'd probably like it. On a paper plate to boot.

• Love 10
18 hours ago, SMama said:

You are right he doesn't, our nine year old has been "cooking" next to us since she came home at sixteen months. She now makes a mean cream cheese garlic sauce all by herself (with proper supervision). We are also spending quite a bit in after school STEM classes, and our house has an obscene amount of Legos, not the girly type, but the ones "for boys", hate that expression. And she took archery for two years, and karate since she was in kinder. Why? Because we want her to be well rounded, kick ass, and not depend on a man for upkeep and protection. The downside? Don't get her started on people who have "litters" of kids, and has some serious political opinions. In short she is darn opinionated. She has even informed us that she does not know if she wants to have children, and we applaud her for not going alone Ng with her friends who already think about motherhood.  She is not waiting for Prince Charming. Guess we had that coming.

She sounds like an AWESOME young woman!  Good for her (and her parents!)!  As a person who chose not to have kids I think its important that people know what they want and follow it script be damned!  Just like I applaud women who know they want to be a mom and are good at it.  Its not a job for wimps!  

• Love 13
On 27/02/2017 at 4:46 PM, queenanne said:

Yeah, those armholes look like they're cut pretty high too.  I bet there's no danger of her flashing bra (which, I point out, before "underwear-as-outerwear" as popularized by Madonna in the 80s, everyone would've thought a glimpse of bra strap or cup was warn-your-fellow-woman-worthy behavior.  My elderly great-aunt, fairly worldly and a bit of a fashionista, still remembers the moment she pointed out to a young lady on a plane that her bra strap was showing, and the woman gave her a look of chilly death).

There's speculation that Jeremy chose her clothes. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Not such a bad thing if he did. When I was a court SW our supervisor expected us to dress accordingly. My husband put some outfits together for me. Much to my chagrin I got many compliments when he "dressed" me. The funny thing is that I'm better at selecting what suits him. He would put on a T-shirt and shorts/jeans for anything (while picking great professional outfits for me). Then I returned the favor and he has a wardrobe for every occasion. It's weird as hell, but it works for us. 

Edited by SMama
  • Love 20
(edited)

Yeah, my fashion is limited to jeans, and whatever t-shirt is at the top of the clean pile (today it's Supergirl). If I need to look fancy I get my heterosexual, warehouse worker, male housemate to pick something that will look decent, because he cares about clothes and knows what goes together. 

I won't side eye Jeremy for this, unless it turns out he's forcing Jinger to accept his choices against her will, because she is looking nice.

Edited by kalamac
Punctuation
  • Love 9

I buy clothes for myself and husband, although Mr Golly puts his own outfits together. I also bought one of my kids' clothes until he moved out. I'm not sure this is a good thing though because I buy what I like and I am not known to follow trends. Another of my kids will occasionally say to be, "Uhm, mom no" when she sees me in an outfit or two. Sometimes I listen to her and sometimes not.

I hope if Jeremy is influencing Jinger's clothing choices it's more like - that looks good or you don't need a sweater with that or that's too big.

On a side note, do any of you ever pause when trying to recall a Duggar name and just type a J waiting for the name to kick in?

• Love 5

Jeremy's very metro and has seen plenty of women out in the real world who can dress "modern modest" without looking like Jill.  Since they don't have social media, I doubt we'll ever see it, but I bet Jinger will (if she isn't already) wear jeans around the house and around town when cameras aren't in her face. She will definitely toe the family line for a slice of the family paycheck. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Michelle raised her girls to be GODLY wives and not just any old housewife. She always was and still is lazy so teaching her kids anything wasn't high on the priority list. Just charting her cycle had to be really exhausting let me tell you. And going to Starbucks. And ignoring barefoot kids walking on countertops. So yea she's been exhausted since she gave birth to Josh and continues to be to this day.

And Blob doesn't have what you could call a sophisticated palate. She could feed him dog food and he'd probably like it. On a paper plate to boot.

As long as you don't foret the BBQ sauce.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SMama said:

Not such a bad thing if he did. When I was a court SW our supervisor expected us to dress accordingly. My husband put some outfits together for me. Much to my chagrin I got many compliments when he "dressed" me. The funny thing is that I'm better at selecting what suits him. He would put on a T-shirt and shorts/jeans for anything (while picking great professional outfits for me). Then I returned the favor and he has a wardrobe for every occasion. It's weird as hell, but it works for us. 

That's really nor weird. A fresh eye is often a good thing.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wasn't quite sure where Bellflower was (other than by LA). They could have taken Ben and gone into Compton with all of his experience with POC and rap.

Bellflower is a city in Los Angeles County and is a suburb of Los Angeles. Its actually not that far from Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm, etc. so maybe they'd do that.

• Love 1