Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: New York State of Mind

• Start Topic

To me, Dom was the clear winner. Kini, while able to sew well and quickly, has serious taste issues.  That plaid would have worked in smaller doses, but it the plaid with the forms was just too much. Ken made some lovely pieces, but they are basic.  You can buy them at your neighborhood department store. There was nothing innovative or fresh about what he made.  Dom had some clear misses.  I didn't hate the painted plaid pieces as much as the judges, but I could see it as a fresh take on graffiti prints. Her collection was the most innovative, the most current, and the most fashion-forward.  I'd wear Ken's collection to a ball or whatever, but I'd be admiring the girl who wore a Dom look to it, while talking crap about the girl in the Kini dress.

You know, looking at it this way, I can now see why Dom won. Thanks for sharing that perspective because it rings 100% true.

Glad Dom won, even though I couldn't ever wear any of her pieces.  Ken's was my next favorite, probably for the same reasons why he didn't win - safe, classic, wearable, commercial.  Kini has never been a favorite for me, and I hated his Working Girl 80's disco glam stuff. I question his taste level (TM Nina Garcia).  Does he ever wear anything not bedecked with Hawaiian flora & fauna?

One thing that drove me crazy was the way all 3 of these guys pronounce their "S-T" words.  They are all from different regions, but they all pronounce them as "SH-t". Every time one of them said "Street, Stress, Struggle, Construction..." they all said "SHtreet, SHtress,SHtruggle, ConSHtruction".  I was so fruSHtrated, it was like nails on a chalkboard.

• Love 2

Did anyone see Emily during the episode? A thought popped into my mind while reading these latest posts: could Sam and Emily have made decoy collections? That would explain Sam's invisibility and also Anne F.'s snarky mood if his collection went first. If one of you did see Emily, then my theory is bust. Although the audience isn't the size of a Fashion Week audience, there were enough people present to do some spoiler damage.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, millennium said:

Best line of the episode:

Ken: "I need some help, so I hope it's Jesus coming through that door."

That was a good one, but personally I've got to go with "Those pants are not of the Lord."  Also by Ken.  Can't believe how much I grew to like him,seeing how angry and volotile he was on his original season.  I think he's a winner, just from sheer personal growth.  I liked his collection the best, so I knew he'd never win.  It was attractive and actually somewhat wearable.

It was nice to see Chris March again, if only briefly - he and Michael Costello are favorites of mine.  It was fun to see the other designers from previous seasons as well.

I'd also like to see a season of all winners and runner ups to make it more fair, though if they can bring together the talent and personalities to recreate the magic of PR Junior, I'd choose that every time.

• Love 7

The only chance I can watch All Stars again next year is that the cast looks like this.

I agree with many of your selections, but I would have added ALISON KELLY from Season 3 ... she designed an origami/papier mache top out of newspaper for a recycling center challenge that Tim Gunn thought should have won, and instead she was eliminated because the judges thought the top "was too stiff."   Those were the days when real designers with real talent were promptly eliminated.  In the Lifetime version, she would have won.

1 hour ago, scootypuffjr said:

That was a good one, but personally I've got to go with "Those pants are not of the Lord."  Also by Ken.  

I thought that's what he said -- but I kept rewinding because I wasn't sure. So funny. 

• Love 1

Ken was the real winner this season though. I did a complete 180 on him from his original season to this one. And clearly, he was loved and respected by the other contestants as well, which to me says a lot about him.  I found the vibe between the contestants to be upbeat and fairly positive all season (with the exception of the Sam stuff), but especially between the final three.

• Love 16

I loved Ken's collection. It was sophisticated, and sharp looking. I also think it represented New York City the best. Kini has a unique perspective, but his fashion reads old lady to me. He choses the oddest textiles and his taste level is questionable. Dom, I liked most of her work during the series, but her final runway look was cheap looking, and tacky. I knew she would win, but nevertheless, it was disappointing, and typical. The show is rigged. 

• Love 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

I liked everything Ken designed, but that's just me and my taste. I loved the yellow he threw in there. I like how much more humbled he was compared to his season. 

I'm on the fence with Dom and Kini's collections. I loved the first two looks of Dom's but not the ones at the end. 

Kini's was different which I liked but it did look like 80's style clothes. 

So congrats to Dom, she really is an artist and talented.

side note: I think this was the best Allysa looked. The plain black dress was a little Addams family Leticia, but the choker necklace was cool. Why did the audience look so bored at the runway show? 

I love fashion, but I'm more of a "commercial" dresser, so Ken's collection was right up my alley. I knew, almost immediately, that the judges would say it was too commercial. 

I thought that Kini did a fine job, even though his aesthetic differs from mine. However, I think he did the best with the men's outfit because I can see some men actually wearing it.

I like that Dom's aesthetic is prints and that she uses color. That said none of her prints would work on me. I love prints, but they don't usually look good on me. I didn't dislike her line, but I wasn't wow'ed by it either.

I think it should have been Kini's win, but I would have loved for Ken to win, since I loved his looks.

It would have been nice if they had been given, at least, a full week to complete their collection. We would have seen them turn out even better work.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, RCharter said:

This is why I think Ken is the ultimate winner for the season.  Not only has he rehabbed his image, but he has shown he can make great clothing.  Yeah, he isn't going to be making the freshest clothing...but I've seen what the judges call fresh and apparently its a mesh jumpsuit with flats (FLATS!!!!!!).  Ken is probably the designer I would want to wear.  When he was on regular PR, his clothing wasn't really cute at all, IMO.

Yeah, maybe he didn't bring home the prize, but he is one of the very few designers that I've done a complete 180 on.  When this season started I knew I didn't like Ken, Asha and Sam.  I'll never like Asha, Sam continued to be a little shit, but liking Ken was such a surprise.  And I see other posters feel the same way which is cool.  Good for him.  I'm glad that he took the feedback from his season to heart.

So agree about Ken!  I was so upset when I saw they brought him back, but of them all, I ended up liking him the best.  He has made a truly remarkable change in his attitude and behavior, and now his insight and humor are in the forefront instead of that simmering rage from his season.  I think he will be a great success - very wearable, "commercial" clothes and a personality people can work with.  Yay, Ken!  

• Love 13

I too was shocked that I ended up really liking (heck even rooting for) Ken. I liked Ken's collection the best as well, mainly because there were outfits that I would actually wear. I did not like the colors that Dom used to create the plaid print. Maybe if she had used the same colors that she used on the other print that she created I would have liked it more. I really enjoyed this season--- not the Sam crap- homeboy should have gone long before he did, but I really liked everyone else.

Like a lot of people I really DO NOT like the limited time for the challenges. I know that we would see a much improved end product from the more talented designers if everything weren't so rushed. I don't think that the "judges" should even be allowed to comment on finishes and the like if they don't give the contestants enough time to make anything worthwhile. JMHO 

• Love 3
(edited)

I enjoyed the finale and liked the Dom win but I agree that the title is ridiculous.  How about reversing it and doing a show called something like "Project Runway, The Judges got it all wrong".  Instead of so called All Stars, have a show where all the contestants are the first ones eliminated from their seasons.  Obviously, that would give us another look at Daniel Franco....  But looking through the cast lists, there are some contestants I barely remember and some I don't at all and it might bring a bit of new blood to the concept.  We're almost getting to that point anyways but I'd like to see some designs from people who made the cut to get on the show only to not be able to show what they can do.

First Eliminated:

S1: Daniel Franco

S2: John Wade (I sort of remember him because he lost a tremendous amount of weight when seen on the reunion show)

S3: Stacey Estrella

S4: Simone LeBlanc

S5: Jerry Tam

S6: Ari Fish

S7: Christiane King

S8: McKell Maddox

S9: Rafael Cox

S10: Beatrice Guapo

S11: Emily Pollard

S12: Angela Bacskocky

S13: Jefferson Masunda (S12 also had three designers eliminated before an official challenge)

S14: Duncan Chambers-Watson

Edited by gingerormaryann
  • Love 1

I was rooting for Dom to win before this episode, but I was disappointed in her collection and preferred Kini's.  (This has happened to me in the past 3 PRAS seasons -- my favorite's final collection disappoints me and I'm full of doubts WHY OH WHY.)  I HATED the first outfit she sent out, both the messy looking print and the shapeless sack of a dress design.  But the judges were gushing over it, go figure.  I liked her other print better, but I disliked all the shapelessness and uneven hems.  It just left me meh.

Whereas Kini's collection was kind of delightful.  Yes, he has taste issues, and his undying love for jacquard and other shiny, couch-like fabrics sometimes makes his outfits skew old.  But the shapes, the tailoring, the colors, all were fresh and striking.

As for Ken, I would wear just about everything he designs (allowing for the fact that I'm not a modelbody), but the collection was indeed too boring for a runway.  On the other hand, good for him for getting so far and for his personal growth.

And I agree with the recappers, next season please give the designers more time, for pete's sake!  Though I suspect the reason all the PRs don't give the contestants more time is to make them stressed, exhausted and snappish, thereby upping the drama and fighting.  Don't see them changing that.

Another wish for next season:  Style Alyssa Better.

• Love 2

Again, I'm fine with Dom's win. I think she shows the most promise of doing something really interesting.  I just think it's a shame that Ken put a better-quality show down the runway and they felt the need to pick holes in it because it was Dom's coronation, and she won for something other than what she sent down the runway.

• Love 1

From the article:

But the larger problem isn't really who's on it; it's the time constraints. The whole franchise needs to be revamped so it's a longer-form competition that gives the designers more time to work on each challenge; ties the challenge more relevantly to design, versus Red fucking Robin or whatever the hell rando sponsor is underwriting the week; and de-gimmicks the process. I know that will never happen, because it doesn't fit with the way TV is made now, except it...could, on a streaming property or premium cable

This is why I finally had to stop watching (a while ago now). It might have even been the Red Robin tie-in that made me go, "Okay, nope." They've heard this criticism of one-day challenges over and over and obviously don't care. I mean, I get that it's a cost cutting measure... but figure it out, show. They were able to pull it off once upon a time. Four days to make a collection? No.

I didn't care for Dom's collection.  Although she painted her fabric, it was very similar to prints/fabrics that have been available at fabric stores.  Also, there were very visible drips, etc. when they did close-ups of the fabric.  The first dress that the judges raved about seemed like it really didn't have much design-just basic seaming, etc.  However, I loved Ken's and even though they criticized him for being too commercial, I would think that designers would want to be commercial as it means that people want to buy what they are designing/producing.  I like Kini's okay, but I think he does have 'taste issues' although there were some lovely individual pieces.  I was just so glad that Sam was not in the finale.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, gingerormaryann said:

I enjoyed the finale and liked the Dom win but I agree that the title is ridiculous.  How about reversing it and doing a show called something like "Project Runway, The Judges got it all wrong".  Instead of so called All Stars, have a show where all the contestants are the first ones eliminated from their seasons.  Obviously, that would give us another look at Daniel Franco....  But looking through the cast lists, there are some contestants I barely remember and some I don't at all and it might bring a bit of new blood to the concept.  We're almost getting to that point anyways but I'd like to see some designs from people who made the cut to get on the show only to not be able to show what they can do.

First Eliminated:

S1: Daniel Franco

S2: John Wade (I sort of remember him because he lost a tremendous amount of weight when seen on the reunion show)

S3: Stacey Estrella

S4: Simone LeBlanc

S5: Jerry Tam

S6: Ari Fish

S7: Christiane King

S8: McKell Maddox

S9: Rafael Cox

S10: Beatrice Guapo

S11: Emily Pollard

S12: Angela Bacskocky

S13: Jefferson Masunda (S12 also had three designers eliminated before an official challenge)

S14: Duncan Chambers-Watson

Well, I don't remember a single one of them, so it would be like all new people to me.  Maybe if I saw them something would register, but the names mean nothing at all.  :-/

• Love 2

Add me to the list of those who were not happy Ken was invited back and were surprised to discover that they actual like him now.  

I had sort of the opposite reaction to Kini.  I was happy to see that Kini was on this season, and, although I didn't remember much about him, I thought I liked him the first time around. However, as this season wore on, he seemed to be getting more bitter, more full of himself, and less willing to listen to what the judges were saying, that his outfits are throwbacks to the 80's.  It was like Kini never was able to move past the incident with Sam winning for an outfit that was basically his, adn it dragged him down, personality-wise.  

Dom is delightful and always has such a bubbly attitiude, but her styles aren't my styles.  

• Love 10

I didn't hate or love any of the collections. They were all OK. I don't understand, though, how the judges criticize and complain about Dom's collection and talk about how they love Kini's collection and how happy it makes them, but then they give the win to Dom. I assume there was more to the judging, and they offered criticism of Kini's collection and talked about what they liked about Dom's, but the editors didn't show it so they could mislead the audience. I wish they wouldn't do that because it makes the whole thing look dumb. It makes the judges look dumb. It's OK if you can tell in the last five minutes who is going to win. It's the last five minutes. It's not like it's the first five minutes of the season, although many people knew even then that Dom would win, so way to go, editors, I guess. You fooled people for the five minutes before the winner was named.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Well, I don't remember a single one of them, so it would be like all new people to me.  Maybe if I saw them something would register, but the names mean nothing at all.  :-/

I remember Jefferson...and I vaguely remember liking him and wishing he could have gone further....

• Love 1

The new, the updated, the truly all star All-Stars:

1)  "Beat Dmitry Sholokhov."  Based on the Food Network show, Beat Bobby Flay, this show each week features wannabe and previously eliminated designers competing against each other in a one hour sew off in order then to compete against Dmitry for some undisclosed prize and immeasurable bragging rights.

2)  "MST 2016 Dimitry."  As footage runs of PRAS competitors in the workroom, the audience is treated to running commentary from Dmitry Sholokhov.  Guest snarkers include Santino Rice, Austin Scarlett and Mean Josh McKinley.

3)   "Dmitry's Cutthroat Workroom."  Hosted by Dmitry Sholokhov, sewtestants must compete with such handicaps as cutting patterns with nail clippers, sewing while blindfolded, and having all their fabric taken away three minutes before the runway.  Special guest Swatch brings dog treats that must be used as buttons.

4)  Dmitry just shows the hell up.  It's ten times better than anything Lifetime's putting out now.

• Love 22
47 minutes ago, cattykit said:

1)  "Beat Dmitry Sholokhov."  Based on the Food Network show, Beat Bobby Flay, this show each week features wannabe and previously eliminated designers competing against each other in a one hour sew off in order then to compete against Dmitry for some undisclosed prize and immeasurable bragging rights.

2)  "MST 2016 Dimitry."  As footage runs of PRAS competitors in the workroom, the audience is treated to running commentary from Dmitry Sholokhov.  Guest snarkers include Santino Rice, Austin Scarlett and Mean Josh McKinley.

3)   "Dmitry's Cutthroat Workroom."  Hosted by Dmitry Sholokhov, sewtestants must compete with such handicaps as cutting patterns with nail clippers, sewing while blindfolded, and having all their fabric taken away three minutes before the runway.  Special guest Swatch brings dog treats that must be used as buttons.

4)  Dmitry just shows the hell up.  It's ten times better than anything Lifetime's putting out now.

Yes, yes, yes - I want them all!

• Love 3

I was fine with Dom winnning but color me shocked I liked quite a lot of Ken's collection. And I don't think I have been really happy with hardly anything he made this season. Kini's was just a little too out there for my taste. That pink dress looked like bad hotel curtains to me.

And what the hell was Georgina wearing. Was she off to a bull fight right after the runway show?!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cattykit said:

Please, someone make this happen.

• Love 2

I HATED the first outfit she sent out, both the messy looking print and the shapeless sack of a dress design.  But the judges were gushing over it, go figure.

This.  If it had been the shapeless sack of a dress in another print I might have seen what the judges were drooling over, might have.  If that ugly a$$ print was used in a more structured piece, maybe I'd have seen what he was talking about.  But that combo of a hugely hideous painted fabric (I know the judges kept comparing it to Impressionist art, but I've never been a big fan of that style) in the shapelessness outfit, yeesh.  and my eyes kept creeping back to it and now I can't un-see it.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2016 at 11:03 PM, leighdear said:

I was most disappointed in my boyfriend Dmitry praising Dom's collection.  I thought every thing she made was ugly, tired and unwearable.

I agree. I was going "ew" to almost everything in her collection, so I was disappointed that Dmitry thought it should win. I hated the prints and the two length hem and the masculine look. The rest for me was just meh.

3 hours ago, cattykit said:

Oh, please, especially this.

Though if I could be so bold as to suggest other potential guest snarkers -

• Mike and the bots from MST3K during a "throwback" challenge or two - 60s, 70s, 80s - any of those would do. Or even better maybe a Sci-fi themed challenge? I don't think we've really had one of those yet (Fantasy, but I'm not sure about Sc-Fi?)
  • Nick Verros (especially with Santino)
  • Robert Best
  • Chris March
  • Jay McCarrol
  • Laura Bennet
  • Zulema Griffin (of "cry and cut" fame - still one of my favorite moments of the original series)
  • Fabio Costa
  • Christian Siriano (I had to - though he's likely too busy)
  • Love 3
(edited)

Finally watching this after a long week. Honestly, I agree with Laura Geller: I enjoyed all three collections for completely different reasons. The fact they created them in FOUR FREAKING DAYS adds to what they accomplished. 

ETA I never, ever anticipated saying this when they announced the cast, but I think I'd actually choose Ken's. Even if it's "commercial," it's still a show (with some interesting shapes) and a lovely one at that. 

That said, I think a case could be made for any one of the three winning.

Edited by RealityCowgirl
  • Love 2

Here is an excerpt of an article about Kini that appeared in the Honolulu Star Advertiser this morning: "I wasn't surprised because producers warned me, You and Sam are a storyline, so I knew already. I can't change anything that came out of my mouth, but I didn't bash anyone, he said. I tried to keep it professional by giving constructive criticism , and the judges and other designers were saying the same things too. But the producers only used me as the bad one. I said a lot of good things and I was kind of bummed that they never used the good stuff I said."

"Donovan did not acknowledge Zamora's help, even in subsequent episodes that had Zamora giving him extra fabric when none of the other designers would help the  novice designer. Yet, Donovan paid him back with insults, including suggesting Zamora is a great sewer, but not a designer. Today, Zamora takes it all in stride saying, "they played it that way for ratings, so they needed something like that." "

• Love 4

I'm also one of those people who was disappointed to see Ken in the cast but ultimately came around to really liking him. I give him major props for working through his anger issues. That's not easy. He was funny and vulnerable this time around. His clothes were hit or miss for me. I also feel like he used making things skin tight as a bit of a crutch. It works on models but I'm not sure how much of his stuff would translate well to those of us with non-model like figures. 

I always loved Kini. So happy to see he beat Sam but it broke my heart to see how much he wanted to win. I will miss him and his crazy magic ability to create twice as many pieces as everyone else without breaking a sweat.

I'm happy for Dom. The judges didn't seem to completely love her finale collection. Part of me wonders if that was editors trying to create suspense or if the judges maybe wanted to break up the boys club. Dom is so talented and I think all season she was the strongest so I have no complaints.

cattykit, in which of these shows does Dmitry call people one way monkeys? 

• Love 2
(edited)

That judge was such a bitch for no reason.

I hate when people use the word 'bitch' in this way, but she was so horrible for no reason.  Really rude to Ken.  I was really disgusted by her attitude and turned off the show.  I really didn't need to hear that shit come out of her mouth.  The only thing I could appreciate was that Alyssa and Debra were so confident in their disagreements with her.

Dom is my winner too; I thought her primary colours print was just heavenly.  She's very cute.  I love to psycho analyze her though.  She is insecure with her voice; she's so scared to voice things.  She'll do it, but she'll say it in such a funny way. I wish she was more strong about voicing her opinions because she has really good ones.   I love what she said about Ken.

Isaac had a good opinion.  Colour me surprised.  If Kini got rid of those two outfits it would have been cooler.  I love Kini, but that crop top over a white shirt outfit was totally unforgiveable.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm giving Dom 1000 bonus points towards the win for being the only person to address the challenge with her collection.  I could see the blue-grey smudgy "chaos" of someone's first impression of NYC.  I could clearly visualize the plaid as the straight/broken lines of the traffic pattern as seen from the top of The Tower.

But hell's bells, Dom, wouldn't it have been a damn fine thing for you to mention any of that in your introduction???  She didn't even point out that she painted all the fabric herself!  I'm sure some people in the audience would have known, but considering she sacrificed--at least--half a day of sewing time, she should have been ringing that bell hard.

The other issue I had with Dom was putting all that effort into lovely drapes and intersecting patterns on the backs--and then deliberately choosing to hang a thick curtain of shiny model hair down over every single one.

In fact, I think Ken and Kini might have had an interesting lapel or shoulder detail obscured by model hair, too.  Maybe they were just too exhausted to think clearly.

And speaking of exhaustion, why couldn't STUPID Zanna Roberts Rossi shut the fuck up and let them bask in the moment?  She had some inane remark to make about every single look--mainly a worthless interjection about her own impression of the outfit.  "I'm blown away!"  Okay, well, knowing that certainly enhances the experience for both the designer and the viewers.

Finally, someone turned Debra Messing's crowning glory of luxurious golden-auburn waves into a flat, sort of oily-looking cap, with sad uneven ends.  Milano stylist, I'm looking at you!

Edited by candall
  • Love 3
On 5/6/2016 at 9:53 AM, candall said:

I believe Sam not being one of the helpers is proof he was kept around for weeks based on reasons other than his skillset.  But better late than never, show, because whichever one of the three designers got Sam would have been screwed--the same as having no help at all.  I have to say, I'm astonished they didn't try to drain that last ounce of Sam drama by assigning him to Kini.  Thanks.  No, really:  thank you.

It would have been fun to see Sam's five lengths of white mesh over five blue jumpsuits and three drapes held together with tacking, but it would have been a travesty to eliminate one of those final three just for the Sam snark.

Okay, done with Sam, but I'm going to create another post because I'm such a nerd I made notes.  : )

As I watched, I shook my head thinking how all three helpers were more skilled than Sam, but had been prematurely sacrificed on the altar of drama.  What a shitty thing, to bring them onto the show, lull them into believing they stood a chance of winning, and then cut them off at the knees for reasons having nothing to do with their sewing skills or design aesthetic.

4 hours ago, millennium said:

As I watched, I shook my head thinking how all three helpers were more skilled than Sam, but had been prematurely sacrificed on the altar of drama.  What a shitty thing, to bring them onto the show, lull them into believing they stood a chance of winning, and then cut them off at the knees for reasons having nothing to do with their sewing skills or design aesthetic.

Thank goodness no one had to come back to serve as Sam's assistant.  Yikes, there's a stab to the heart 

Being eliminated earlier than a lesser talent is going to happen when "design" is so subjective.  As far as getting that kind of a raw deal, though, by comparison to Sam--with all those raves for his sad little Home Ec. projects--maybe they can chalk it up to chicanery and feel somewhat exonerated. 

If any kind of a credible case could have been made for Sam, the show would have continued milking that drama all the way to the end.  But can you imagine sending The Sam Collection down the runway past a whole room full of designers, fashion experts and that no-bullshit Marie Claire judge?  The talk of the night would have been how Project Runway All-Stars is just a big joke.

(edited)
On 2016/5/6 at 5:05 AM, gingerormaryann said:

We're almost getting to that point anyways but I'd like to see some designs from people who made the cut to get on the show only to not be able to show what they can do.

This is not a wrong idea but would make the "All-Stars" idea even more vague. I would support Lifetime to make the Fanvote Redemption used for the early eliminated contestants so that their second chance in the original series make more sense. I don't think either Amanda or Kate should had returned, honestly, not cuase they're bad designers, but the original show is more about new entries.

Personally I would really love to see international contestants like Chấn Hưng or Elena Pignata, but we know very few reality shows would like to pay for airline fees.

Edited by Camomile

I like Dom (more as a person than a designer) but that final collection was hideous...a hot mess, in my opinion. Kini's was ridiculous and tacky, as usual. I only liked Ken's. Sure, it wasn't groundbreaking and it was more commercial, but at least it was flattering! I would wear just about any of his pieces over the eyesores that the other two presented.

• Love 3

Camomile, I said they needed to rename the show to something like "Project Runway, the Judges got it all wrong."  Never did I say that the first eliminated should be on an All Stars show.  In fact, the show could even be done in LA, since so many of the first eliminated were from there.

23 hours ago, candall said:

I'm giving Dom 1000 bonus points towards the win for being the only person to address the challenge with her collection.  I could see the blue-grey smudgy "chaos" of someone's first impression of NYC.  I could clearly visualize the plaid as the straight/broken lines of the traffic pattern as seen from the top of The Tower.

But hell's bells, Dom, wouldn't it have been a damn fine thing for you to mention any of that in your introduction???  She didn't even point out that she painted all the fabric herself!  I'm sure some people in the audience would have known, but considering she sacrificed--at least--half a day of sewing time, she should have been ringing that bell hard.

The other issue I had with Dom was putting all that effort into lovely drapes and intersecting patterns on the backs--and then deliberately choosing to hang a thick curtain of shiny model hair down over every single one.

In fact, I think Ken and Kini might have had an interesting lapel or shoulder detail obscured by model hair, too.  Maybe they were just too exhausted to think clearly.

And speaking of exhaustion, why couldn't STUPID Zanna Roberts Rossi shut the fuck up and let them bask in the moment?  She had some inane remark to make about every single look--mainly a worthless interjection about her own impression of the outfit.  "I'm blown away!"  Okay, well, knowing that certainly enhances the experience for both the designer and the viewers.

Finally, someone turned Debra Messing's crowning glory of luxurious golden-auburn waves into a flat, sort of oily-looking cap, with sad uneven ends.  Milano stylist, I'm looking at you!

Speaking of hair--what was with the overuse of shine spray?  All the women had hair that was shellacked flat. Is that what we get from the Schwartzkopf Hair Studio? No, thanks.  

1 hour ago, beaker73 said:

Speaking of hair--what was with the overuse of shine spray?  All the women had hair that was shellacked flat. Is that what we get from the Schwartzkopf Hair Studio? No, thanks.  

Maybe if you flat-iron hair into perfect uniform straightness, you need a serious coat of shellack or the wispies will come back?  Ick, who knows.  I think the slicked down flat, "no-body" trend is awful.  Some sad brides in a few years.

• Love 1

I agree, Zanna is the most useless mentor ever.

Wait, you don't think comments like "you need to make sure the first look gets the judge's attention" or "yes, okay, do that" are really helpful and insightful?  :-)

I wish the showrunners of PR had a better sense of humor, because if I were running the show every time Zanna came in to mentor I'd identify her as "Captain Obvious" at the bottom of the screen.

• Love 3
(edited)

Hey, editor of Marie Claire - you do know that Short Hills Mall is in NJ, and has most of same high-end fashion stores as Manhattan??  After seeing that woman, I now understand why Nina Garcia is as bitchy as she is - I guess bitchiness is a job requirement at Marie Claire.

What a nightmare of a person.  She could have made the same criticisms without veering into cruelty. And a witless cruelty at that.

I'm sure Ashley Nell Tipton will be on the next cast list and she'll win this one, too.

Oh gawd, you're probably right. I wonder how she'll set herself up as the victim this time.

I agree, Zanna is the most useless mentor ever.

She seems like a nice person but her critiques in the workroom seemed so out of line with what the judges utlimately said. I thought Joanna Coles was great back in the day. She approximated Tim the most.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 3
On 5/6/2016 at 8:21 AM, anonymiss said:

I wasn't a fan of Dom's original season but she really impressed with her creative, beautiful, collection of fashion. Ken created what everyone already has or can already get, and Kini did what Santino described when Chloe's collection came out: "It's a sofa comin' at cha." Kini's taste is still wildly tacky but would do well in Asian markets.

Yes!  Chloe's collection is exactly what I was thinking of when I saw Kini's upholstery collection coming down the runway.  I still can't believe she won her season.  He's got skill and talent, but his looks are always too much.  Ken's collection was nice, but nothing really special.  I have no issue with Dom winning.  I've liked her things the best through most of this season.  She designs well, plus she's got a fantastic eye for prints and colors. 

On 5/6/2016 at 8:21 AM, anonymiss said:
  • Love 2

Completely disgusted at the idea that an eight-look (clearly NOT eight-piece!) collection was in any way supposed to be created in four days.  Talk about no bueno.

I loved Ken's collection, color me shocked, but knew it could not win because it wouldn't be labeled as enough "original design".  Didn't like his work in his season, didn't like most of his work this season, and surprise, surprise, when most of the concept constraints are removed, guy's got great ideas.  His choice of fabrics, design and workmanship were tasteful and gave each piece a very expensive feel.  I was sure he was brought back simply for the drama factor.  Utmost respect for his humility and openness about his desire to not only up his design game, but to improve his interpersonal skills.  Fabulous job!

Dom's garments disappointed, both for shape and construction, as well as her use of pattern this time around.  She covered up the very best detail in the collection when she put that kimono-type jacket over the top of that jumpsuit with the cut-out cap sleeve detailing.  That high-low/asymmetrical hemline concept has to go.  Love her, love her eye for mixing patterns normally, did not enjoy what she did here and despised the handpainting.

Kini, victim of a bad edit this season -- and in need of serious editing when free to design as he chooses.  The two collections Kini has made in finales prove to me he needs a partner to collaborate with, one who will help guide fabric choices and put the kibosh on the over the top design details.  Kini is talented and has great ideas, he's suffering from the intimidation writers feel facing a blank page when they feel like they cover up inadequacies with six-syllable words.  The right partner to balance him out and Kini could be a superstar designer in the real world -- a fashion icon to outshine Isaac by a longshot.

A new challenge idea I freely offer up to the folks at PR:  designers must design a look one could wear to judge a PR finale runway.  I want to hear the unedited commentary when a designer sends the getup Georgina wore down the runway.  

• Love 2

I have to go back and watch again to look at Georgina's outfit. The comments about it here are cracking me up. What kept mesmerizing me was her earrings, which I think even some of the queens on Drag Race would think were a bit much. They were pulling her earlobes down.

I liked Alyssa's look from afar, but close up the makeup with the strong undereye color and the bare lid looked strange.

I agree with Dom's win for her body of work this season. I would love to own one of her pieces someday. I was not a huge fan of some of her collection, although I disagreed with the judges about the last dress. While I didn't love the print, I thought the shape was amazing. Also I loved the kimono jacket that they all hated. 

• Love 1

I really wish Kini would've won because I was rooting for him all along especially from his season of Project Runway.  I didn't like his constant bickering with Sam this season and the overconfidence he displayed sometimes, but he's a great designer. I didn't love everything from his final collection, but he did have some nice pieces.

I liked Ken's collection the best. Yes, it did have designs that have been seen before, but they were very well-made. My favorite was the cream colored suit.

I accept Dom's win because even though she wasn't my favorite designer, her body of work has been exceptional. I don't mind that she's also won Project Runway, but it would've been nice to see someone else redeeming themselves and winning instead.

• Love 2
On 5/11/2016 at 9:54 PM, micat said:

I agree with Dom's win for her body of work this season. 

Is that how it works?  That might explain it then, as I do agree she was great the rest of the season (and in the season she won, where I rooted for her all the way).  And I do understand keeping the season-long body of work when deciding not to auf someone in a midseason episode.  But I guess I naively thought they had a sort of clean slate when it came time for the finale.  Or, really, when determining the winner of any episode.  So, basically, you can be saved from elimination for previous goodwill built up, but to win you have to have the best look that week.  Although I guess in the finale if you don't win, you are eliminated, so any decision works in both directions. 

In any case, because I did think it was all based on the final collection, I was genuinely shocked when they said Dom's name.  Her first look was beautiful but the rest was kind of a mess.

Kini's collection was clearly the best IMO, and I'm usually not that into his stuff. I didn't like the one that had the weird ruffles sticking out of just one side, but the judges didn't comment on that one at all, and the rest of the collection was really good.  I definitely agree with Debra Messing that his was the most successful men's look. In fact, I think his men's look was the best look of all 24.  Strange that Isaac called it out as one that he disliked!

Ken's collection looked very nice, but as the Marie Claire editor in chief said, it's too much like something commercial that already exists. Just too safe and not fashion forward enough.

• Love 1