Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Joy went to the trouble to buy herself some new dresses to wear on dates with Austin, and them was looking for matching beat up shoes and then put her FILTHY bare feet in them on TV, no less.  It was disgusting.

That was awful.

• Love 7

Kids are expensive. They get pricier as they age! My 14-year-old son grew six inches and three shoe sizes from February to December this year. ? We'd get up in the morning and the poor kid's new pants would be highwaters as he'd grown seemingly overnight. 

I cant imagine the cost to keep 19 kids properly clothed, shod, fed and in activities. And college! There is a reason we had two. 

• Love 15

Our feet are pretty important to our health. Used shoes can be sanitized, new inserts used, etc. but, everyone’s feet are different. So instead of the shoes molding to your feet, your feet have to adjust to someone else’s. Doesn’t seem healthy to me.

• Love 14
21 hours ago, SMama said:

They get free chocolate messes for their birthdays not nail salon visits. Donkey face is notoriously cheap. I do recall Mechelle saying Boob always buys new underwear and socks before a trip. Think how many trips they take. Meanwhile his kids wear flip flops and used shoes. 

So TSA doesn't see his skidmark panties?

• Love 10
2 hours ago, toodles said:

Ha! I was just mentioning them to my daughter the other day...don't remember how it came up, but possibly we were talking about names since she's 6 months pregnant and they still don't even have a short list of names. I told her it's not that I follow them, per se - I've never seen the show outside of a very few clips - but I happened of this board a couple of years ago after TWOP went belly-up (I never really participated there, having managed to get myself banished after about 4 posts, but always enjoyed the snark, and really only used to follow the American Idol boards in any case), and found the snark here just as good and the atmosphere much nicer. Anyway, once I started being able to reel off the names, including middle names, of the family grandkids, she was about ready to stage an intervention. This article rather reminded me of our conversation...

• Love 15

They all dress so modestly, covering up their curves, that is, until they get pregnant.  Then they find the tightest clothes they can find, I imagine to show off their fertility.

I remember reading years ago that shoes should not be shared by children in a family, or passed down.  It's bad for growing feet to wear shoes that someone else's feet have "molded."  (No pun intended.)

• Love 8

The Lily and Ellie blog reorts that "Counting On will return to TLC in spring 2018."  No clue as to the exact month, but spring officially begins on March 20.  The last episode appeared at the end of October and covered events from May, 2017.  

Since TLC has said that Derick is "not scheduled for future appearances" and since Derick has said he won't allow anyone in his family (wife and kids) to appear on the show, I presume that there will be no Samuel birth episode.  I wonder if Jill will ever make her own statement about why she is no longer on the show.  This has been such a big part of her life for more than a dozen years, I just don't think it will be easy for her to watch the show go on without her.  Michelle and Jim Bob can't stand being left out and show up in the background at every opportunity even if they aren't allowed to speak.  Joy and Kendra are expecting, but I guess Jill won't be filmed playing with her medical things on their bellies.  When Josh got kicked off the show he still let Anna and their kids appear.  Now poor Jill really has nothing else in her life outside of her husband and kids.  I don't think Derick should have forced her off the show, too.  

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Mollie said:

When Josh got kicked off the show he still let Anna and their kids appear.  Now poor Jill really has nothing else in her life outside of her husband and kids.  I don't think Derick should have forced her off the show, too.  

What's sad is that business wise Derick, the college grad/accountant is dopier than Josh the homeschooled/ pervert.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

The Lily and Ellie blog reorts that "Counting On will return to TLC in spring 2018."  No clue as to the exact month, but spring officially begins on March 20.  The last episode appeared at the end of October and covered events from May, 2017.  

Since TLC has said that Derick is "not scheduled for future appearances" and since Derick has said he won't allow anyone in his family (wife and kids) to appear on the show, I presume that there will be no Samuel birth episode.  I wonder if Jill will ever make her own statement about why she is no longer on the show.  This has been such a big part of her life for more than a dozen years, I just don't think it will be easy for her to watch the show go on without her.  Michelle and Jim Bob can't stand being left out and show up in the background at every opportunity even if they aren't allowed to speak.  Joy and Kendra are expecting, but I guess Jill won't be filmed playing with her medical things on their bellies.  When Josh got kicked off the show he still let Anna and their kids appear.  Now poor Jill really has nothing else in her life outside of her husband and kids.  I don't think Derick should have forced her off the show, too.  

I bet Jill will be on the show and DerDum will tweet that he never said that she wouldn't.  They like easy money too much to forgo the show completely.  

• Love 7

No more obnoxious giggling, no more obnoxious whining about taking care of her own children, no more Derick's anger slowly building up on screen, no more fake Dr. JillPhonyian scenes. In a way I feel sorry for Jill, but in a way I do not. She latch herself onto Derick faster than fleas on a hound dog in the summer time heat, so she is now dealing with her actions. I would love to see a scene where someone outside the family sits down with the both of them and tells them to face reality and get some major help. Not the pray the evilness away and read the bible crap help. I mean get away from the families, admit they both have some serious problems, and a sane person who has not been brainwashed take care of the kids while they are getting the help. Yes, I know I am dreaming, but a person can hope can she not.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

No more obnoxious giggling, no more obnoxious whining about taking care of her own children, no more Derick's anger slowly building up on screen, no more fake Dr. JillPhonyian scenes. In a way I feel sorry for Jill, but in a way I do not. She latch herself onto Derick faster than fleas on a hound dog in the summer time heat, so she is now dealing with her actions. I would love to see a scene where someone outside the family sits down with the both of them and tells them to face reality and get some major help. Not the pray the evilness away and read the bible crap help. I mean get away from the families, admit they both have some serious problems, and a sane person who has not been brainwashed take care of the kids while they are getting the help. Yes, I know I am dreaming, but a person can hope can she not.

Yeah you’re dreaming but I agree with you. People say Derick needs a job (and he does) but he needs therapy so much more. He needs therapy, Jill needs therapy, they need marriage counseling to work their disappointments with each other. Oh, and a few child development classes would not go amiss so they stop seeing normal developmental milestones as signs of a sinful toddler. 

• Love 15

I don't know...I think it's likely that Jill is on board with no longer being on the show, assuming the Dullards really are giving up the easy money. I wouldn't bet money on it or anything, but I've always thought that Jill took the public turning on her really hard, and the show went from a way for her to cheerfully minister to the masses to a job she dreads. Derrick's an asshole but I think he's a "good" husband for Jill in that he'd take her concerns seriously...I think those two are as much of a team as is possible under patriarchy and they probably egg each other on in their overzealous stupidity. 

Yeah, they may agree on things, but what they appear to agree upon in terms of life goals are delusional. Well, let them fall flat on their faces. Sadly, that probably won't happen until there's another blessing in the fold that they will struggle to feed on Derelict's "missionary" salary. 

Good news! I found out that I can still access his twatter via my laptop. At least I see his proverb of the day for today, which I couldn't see on my phone. 

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, they may agree on things, but what they appear to agree upon in terms of life goals are delusional. Well, let them fall flat on their faces. Sadly, that probably won't happen until there's another blessing in the fold that they will struggle to feed on Derelict's "missionary" salary. 

Oh, absolutely. They're bad for each other precisely because they are way too much alike...there's no balance in that relationship.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

"missionary" salary = gofundme donations.

• Love 5
On 12/26/2017 at 6:40 PM, andromeda331 said:

And a therapist. 

Derick behaves like someone who is “off their meds”. I’m not a medical doctor, nor do I play one on TV, and I didn’t follow Mr E’s doctor relatives around for 20 mi utes and think I’m now an expert.  

Mental illness should never be mocked. Check out what happened to the lovely figure skater Debi Thomas. She studied engineering as pre med while training for the Olympics. She became an orthopedic surgeon and is now broke living in a trailer with her fiancé, who is a widower and unemployed coal miner. Too much pressure to be so special and perfect all the time must have gotten to her. My point is, that mental health problems do not discriminate. 

Mother Derick (thank you Pedro from 90DF) is only enabling her son’s behavior by defending him on SM.  A more appropriate response would have been to take him aside and encourage him to see a professional, which he never will.  Taking Dreck to the allergist was like an Internet FU. He needs mental health support. No matter how objectionable and repellent he and particularly his views are to me, mental health problems can be very cruel to people, and I don’t wish them on anyone.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Derick behaves like someone who is “off their meds”. I’m not a medical doctor, nor do I play one on TV, and I didn’t follow Mr E’s doctor relatives around for 20 mi utes and think I’m now an expert.  

Mental illness should never be mocked. Check out what happened to the lovely figure skater Debi Thomas. She studied engineering as pre med while training for the Olympics. She became an orthopedic surgeon and is now broke living in a trailer with her fiancé, who is a widower and unemployed coal miner. Too much pressure to be so special and perfect all the time must have gotten to her. My point is, that mental health problems do not discriminate. 

Mother Derick (thank you Pedro from 90DF) is only enabling her son’s behavior by defending him on SM.  A more appropriate response would have been to take him aside and encourage him to see a professional, which he never will.  Taking Dreck to the allergist was like an Internet FU. He needs mental health support. No matter how objectionable and repellent he and particularly his views are to me, mental health problems can be very cruel to people, and I don’t wish them on anyone.

Just curious, what has you thinking he has a mental health issue?

• Love 2

I watch Dr. Phil way too much ( mostly for snark), but sometimes when a guest has problems being motivated, he recommends a life coach. 

Sometimes a person needs a jump start in recognizing his potential. Derick has a degree, and probably would only need some remedial courses to return to accounting, or he could try something entirely new. He could take divinity courses to become an ordained minister, but that could take a few years. He continues to do these peripheral activities such as college ministry, and twitter preacher which will get him nowhere. He has a clingy wife who doesn't want him working a 9-5 job. He is complacent to live off Jill's TLC money, and if it keeps him at home, she is content with this as well.

Derick is immature, lazy, unmotivated, and maybe a little depressed. What he really needs is a good swift kick in the ass. The money's not going to last forever.

• Love 16

Ok, here's my shot at Derek's issue: he's depressed and hates his lifestyle. He hates that he's married to Jill, and  hates that he is  a father now. This life wasn't all he thought it would be, but according to his world, he's stuck now. No turning back. He's got to remain married.  Now he's making the best out of it. He resents his boys for their carefree nature, and calls them manipulative, and he's angry at the fact that Jazz Jennings is happily living her life and he can't. Maybe in his mind she's blatantly breaking God's laws (I don't believe that!), and yet she's got fans and fame and money, and  worst of all for him, she's happy.  Now he's bitter and he will spread his bitterness under the guise of speaking God's truth.  Misery loves company, so he's going to make sure no one else is happy either. So he's not going to work, he's gonna grift. Why? Because God owes him. Why should he be stuck at a miserable job when he's (according to himself), been doing God's work? 

• Love 23

I think Derick is bored in Arkansas and wants to live abroad again. I think that’s why he’s lurking around the international students. They’re the closest he can get. I have friends who spent a semester abroad 20 years ago, who are still waxing poetically about when they “lived” in Spain. 

Given the amount of time he spends on social media, I have no doubt that Derick is likely envious of the lifestyles of some of his college classmates.  Oh well. It’s his own fault. Had he not been in such a rush to create this readymade relationship with this stunted girl, he may have made a decent candidate for the Foreign Service or the Peace Corps. Well, if he weren’t so ignorant and filled with googly-eyed toothsome hate. He should’ve sought out an academic or career advisor rather than some undereducated reality show “prayer partner.” 

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

I think Derick is bored in Arkansas and wants to live abroad again. I think that’s why he’s lurking around the international students. They’re the closest he can get. I have friends who spent a semester abroad 20 years ago, who are still waxing poetically about when they “lived” in Spain. 

Given the amount of time he spends on social media, I have no doubt that Derick is likely envious of the lifestyles of some of his college classmates.  Oh well. It’s his own fault. Had he not been in such a rush to create this readymade relationship with this stunted girl, he may have made a decent candidate for the Foreign Service or the Peace Corps. Well, if he weren’t so ignorant and filled with googly-eyed toothsome hate. He should’ve sought out an academic or career advisor rather than some undereducated reality show “prayer partner.” 

Moving my response to the Dullards thread

• Love 1
1 hour ago, zenme said:

he's angry at the fact that Jazz Jennings is happily living her life and he can't. Maybe in his mind she's blatantly breaking God's laws (I don't believe that!), and yet she's got fans and fame and money, and  worst of all for him, she's happy.  

I think that's the crux of it. In his mind, Derelict is doing everything "right" and his life sucks while people like Jazz are doing everything "wrong" and are happy and thriving. I agree he hates marriage and would like nothing more than to ditch Jill and the boys to go back to life as a missionary. I think he feels like Jill and Boob sold him a bill of goods and resents that he's trapped and miserable. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Arwen don't you know that you have to follow Mr. E's relatives around for 30 minutes before you are considered to be an expert. 

Edited by Rabbittron
No coffee yet can't spell
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Arwen don't you know that you have to follow Mr. E's relatives around for 30 minutes before you are considered to be an expert. 

Than you for setting me straight.  Care to join me in the Prayer Closet whilst I do my penance?  Got a bottle of red to share.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think that's the crux of it. In his mind, Derelict is doing everything "right" and his life sucks while people like Jazz are doing everything "wrong" and are happy and thriving. I agree he hates marriage and would like nothing more than to ditch Jill and the boys to go back to life as a missionary. I think he feels like Jill and Boob sold him a bill of goods and resents that he's trapped and miserable. 

Tempted and tried we're oft made to wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long
While there are others living about us
Never molested though in the wrong

Farther along we'll know all about it
Farther along we'll understand why
Cheer up my brother live in the sunshine
We'll understand it all by and by

He just needs to listen to more music. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Derick is just a self-righteous hateful "Christian".

Unfortunately, many if not most of his church "role models" seem to be smiling upon this type of Christian -- and this type of Christian only -- at present ... So as a full-blown, wholehearted, and religio-ambitions follower-type, he has zero motivation to rethink his approach, I'm guessing. 

• Love 4

The last new content we've seen was JoKen's wedding at the end of August. However, we haven't even seen Switzerland, which was last June! Their timelines are majorly fucked up. I guess we go back in time (again) to see the honeymoon and JoKen's engagement period/wedding prep? 

Snore.....

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The last new content we've seen was JoKen's wedding at the end of August. However, we haven't even seen Switzerland, which was last June! Their timelines are majorly fucked up. I guess we go back in time (again) to see the honeymoon and JoKen's engagement period/wedding prep? 

Snore.....

and all those pregnancy announcements... Maybe Anna will bring out Mason?

• Love 1

Two of the pregnancy annoucements aren't until December/January. They aren't going to catch us up that quickly in what is likely another 6 episode "season" (of life). 

They will probably get around to Joy's announcement, though. I guess we have the house reno to look forward to as well. 

Double snore...

• Love 6

Family in California with 13 kids chained in a house.

I don't know where to post this, but I wonder if they are Gothard types.  I feel this will come out.  They are "home schooling" and claim to be religious.

This is truly the sick result of the isolation mandated by these groups. 

• Love 14

this is happening very close to my neck of the woods. its sad and scary. they said the mom seemed dazed and the dad was sobbing when they got arrested.  its all so much to figure out. i too  am curious what the real story is here. 

10 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I don't know where to post this, but I wonder if they are Gothard types.  I feel this will come out.  They are "home schooling" and claim to be religious.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, GussieK said:

First thought was they were fundamentalists.  Then I saw the picture of them all in dresses.  If they aren't fundamentalists I will be very surprised.  Not gonna lie, when I 1st heard it I wondered if the Rodrigui family was out here.  Then I remembered isn't #13 brewing right now?

• Love 5