Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

It could make some hilarious blackout poetry. You take a random page and go to town with a sharpie only leaving a few words uncovered to make a phrase or a poem. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 6
On 3/14/2018 at 11:56 AM, Kokapetl said:

How the fuck did their book even get a reprint?!

They did a revised edition post-scandal that featured the courtships and marriages of Jill and Jessa. The publisher probably figured that courtship and weddings were woman-reader bait and might give the book a focus that would keep readers from thinking about Joshley all the time while they read about the girls as sweet young things, I'd imagine. 

7 hours ago, floridamom said:

I still have to wonder, why would anyone write a book about dating/relationships when none of these girls have ever had any relationship? All their 'book' is to me, is a bunch of Gothard platitudes. They had no personal experience to apply to the subject. 

In Gothardom, that's the rule of writing and publishing, I think. He came up with the ideas (based on pretty much no experience of anything either). And the job of everybody else is to parrot those. Because nobody is thought to have anything better to say that Bill G himself, no matter what their experience might be, I would guess. The cult absolutely discourages critical thinking. And if you base what you say on your experiences, then that's critical thinking. Don't do that. Just parrot what some odd Jesus told Bill G. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

I still have to wonder, why would anyone write a book about dating/relationships when none of these girls have ever had any relationship? All their 'book' is to me, is a bunch of Gothard platitudes. They had no personal experience to apply to the subject. 

Remember, the book was heavily ghost-written by TFDW and another IBLP colleague. They just sell the Gothard ideal as the original book came out pre Gothard scandal. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Remember, the book was heavily ghost-written by TFDW and another IBLP colleague. They just sell the Gothard ideal as the original book came out pre Gothard scandal. 

Actually the other guy, Charlie Richards, isn't IBLP as far as I know, though.

He's an actual professional writer and ghostwriter, who's written for mainstream non-conservative-Christian clients as well as for people like Focus on the Family.  

Howard Books is a big Simon & Schuster imprint, so they would want an experienced professional writer on the project alongside the IBLP consultant. Richards is an experienced writer, unlike DW and the rest of the school-of-the-dining-room-table folks. It's possible that he is Gothard-connected somehow, but he has a long resume and I've never seen anything suggesting that he has anything to do with them.

From what I've read about the process of writing that book, Richards came in and did the interviews and collected all the information and did the actual writing up of all of it into a book. Waller was the person who probably handed over all the relevant IBLP materials and consulted on whether Richards had gotten the Gothard slant right, made corrections to bring it fully in line with BG's "theology." As we know, DW's not a professional-level writer in any way, shape or form. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
On 3/17/2018 at 10:04 PM, Churchhoney said:

Actually the other guy, Charlie Richards, isn't IBLP as far as I know, though.

He's an actual professional writer and ghostwriter, who's written for mainstream non-conservative-Christian clients as well as for people like Focus on the Family.  

Howard Books is a big Simon & Schuster imprint, so they would want an experienced professional writer on the project alongside the IBLP consultant. Richards is an experienced writer, unlike DW and the rest of the school-of-the-dining-room-table folks. It's possible that he is Gothard-connected somehow, but he has a long resume and I've never seen anything suggesting that he has anything to do with them.

From what I've read about the process of writing that book, Richards came in and did the interviews and collected all the information and did the actual writing up of all of it into a book. Waller was the person who probably handed over all the relevant IBLP materials and consulted on whether Richards had gotten the Gothard slant right, made corrections to bring it fully in line with BG's "theology." As we know, DW's not a professional-level writer in any way, shape or form. 

Isn't Howard Books owned by Willie Robertson's wife's family?  You know from Duck Dynasty?  Forgot her name.  Anyway, small world!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Isn't Howard Books owned by Willie Robertson's wife's family?  You know from Duck Dynasty?  Forgot her name.  Anyway, small world!

Yeah, she was a Howard -- on her mother's side, I think. Her grandfather founded the publishing house. In Louisiana. The book warehouse is part of the duck company now. But they've since sold it to Simon & Schuster. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

I'm putting this here, rather than posting in the the three different threads. I read the US Weekly interview.  The print edition has an interview with three pregnant or new mom Duggars, Joy, Jinger, and Kendra. They are referred to as JF (Joy Forsyth), JV (Jinger Vuolo) and KD (Kendra Duggar). Here are my thoughts:

• Jinger's content is mostly what was posted in her thread in the link. 
  • Joy found pregnancy really tiring. Everyone else (Jessa, her mom) says "yes it is. take naps." If you're that tired, which I'm sure they are, maybe that's a reason to not have a dozen kids and homeschool.
  • Kendra seems chipper and gung-ho about everything. She came off naive. I tend to think she'll feel differently after two kids in 2.5 years. 
  • Joy claims Austin changes diapers at night. I hope that's true.
  • The most interesting part came when they asked about how many kids?/will they have more? I tend to think these questions are dumb, since the Duggars claim not to believe in taking precautions/birth control. However only Kendra said they would have as many children as God will give them. Joy said, "We love Children, so we'll see." Actually I thought Joy gave a strong answer. Jinger's was interesting. She said she thought they would have one more after this, although I forget her exact wording. I tend to think they'll have more than 2, but good for them for wanting for even considering trying to not to have a huge family. 
Edited by Temperance
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I'm putting this here, rather than posting in the the three different threads. I read the US Weekly interview.  The print edition has an interview with three pregnant or new mom Duggars, Joy, Jinger, and Kendra. They are referred to as JF (Joy Forsyth), JV (Jinger Vuolo) and KD (Kendra Duggar). Here are my thoughts:

• Jinger's content is mostly what was posted in her thread in the link. 
  • Joy found pregnancy really tiring. Everyone else (Jessa, her mom) says "yes it is. take naps." If you're that tired, which I'm sure they are, maybe that's a reason to not have a dozen kids and homeschool.
  • Kendra seems chipper and gung-ho about everything. She came off naive. I tend to think she'll feel differently after two kids in 2.5 years. 
  • Joy claims Austin changes diapers at night. I hope that's true.
  • The most interesting part came when they asked about how many kids?/will they have more? I tend to think these questions are dumb, since the Duggars claim not to believe in taking precautions/birth control. However only Kendra said they would have as many children as God will give them. Joy said, "We love Children, so we'll see." Actually I thought Joy gave a strong answer. Jinger's was interesting. She said she thought they would have one more after this, although I forget her exact wording. I tend to think they'll have more than 2, but good for them for wanting for even considering trying to not to have a huge family. 

Bless Kendra's heart.  Babies having babies.

Joy now knows what's up. Too bad she couldn't be at least in her mid-20s (like Jinger) and realize what all these pregnancies/babies would mean before entering into an agreement to become a broodmare as a teen (or as they'd say "marriage"). 

I hope Austen does change diapers and I hope maybe he's cool with not having eleventy children. And yay Jinger, but I'm not gonna celebrate that yet just in case. 

• Love 9

It does highlight how often they go there, though, although it's unclear if Jessa made it this trip that seemed to be 'Siah-centric. He was nowhere in the picture this time last year. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

That article is a year old. :)

A non-pregnant Jinge gave it away for me.   The group shot that had Sierra in it looked familiar. Plus the article goes on about the Vuolo wedding, like it recently happened. 

Edited by Barb23

Oh my goodness!!! How bad was that!!! Poor Jessa having two kids and trying to keep the sparks going in her marriage. Jeremy learns how to take care of children. I thought Jill and Jinger's laughing was bad, but Kendra takes the cake. We have not taken the test yet. Are they this hard up for story lines.

I'd like to see a day in the life of the Lost Girls. Are they learning the piano and violin? Do they get up before noon? What are their chores/jurisdictions? What's their school day look like. What are their dreams for adulthood that will go unfulfilled? 

• Love 19
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'd like to see a day in the life of the Lost Girls. Are they learning the piano and violin? Do they get up before noon? What are their chores/jurisdictions? What's their school day look like. What are their dreams for adulthood that will go unfulfilled? 

I think it's just a big black hole of nothing.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It's so annoying, because yes Joy, we DO know what's gonna happen next. Courtships, weddings and babies cycling on an endless loop because none of you people have work, school or hobbies to keep things interesting.

Haha, that is exactly what I was going to say!  Beat me to it!  We know what happens next, on into infinity!  

• Love 2

It's been mentioned in the Dillards' topic, but Jilly Muffin's defense of her man on social media has made it to People magazine

I don't give enough forks about it to try to decipher the blather she posted on social media. But like others who posted about the story, it tickles me that People states that Derick was fired from TLC. 

• Love 3

Are they getting desperate for money since they have been more mouths to feed? Heck, maybe they can get the married couples except for Jeremy and Jinger to run the place and give each couple a place to live.

59 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Are they getting desperate for money since they have been more mouths to feed? Heck, maybe they can get the married couples except for Jeremy and Jinger to run the place and give each couple a place to live.

It's possible. It seems like most of JB's wealth is tied up in real estate. They may not have as much liquid cash as one might assume. Not to mention Boob has a ton of overhead. He's supporting all his adult children, minus Jinger and maybe Joy. They've got a crap ton of vehicles to insure, maintain and put gas in, two or three airplanes, food, upkeep on a 7,000 sq. ft. house and TLC is no longer footing the bill for their travel. Even if Boob is running all kinds of clever tax schemes to write stuff off, it wouldn't surprise me if he's starting to feel the pinch.

• Love 15

JB is also not supporting Deredick, Jill, Izzy and Sammy. Maybe he is worried the lawsuit the girls filed or should I say JB filed is not going well. I bet he is behind it and wants to get his grubby paws on the money the girls will allegedly get from it. This is what you get from having a large family and expected TLC and your fans base to support you. Plus throw in the fact he wants to marry off his older children and have many grandchildren without giving them the skills to support themselves and their families, and he is heading to having too many mouths to feed with less money.

3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

It's been mentioned in the Dillards' topic, but Jilly Muffin's defense of her man on social media has made it to People magazine

Interesting ... I expected to see Jill to boldly defending Derrick in her statement, but then I read it and read it again and then I read it between the lines. And honestly it sounds to me more like Jill is not so much defending Derrick as she is saying that she disagrees with him. It's the sentences at the end where she says she may love her son but that doesn't mean she necessarily approves of or agrees with everything he does. I think she is implying the same thing goes for her husband, as well. 

It's not clear exactly what part of it all she disagrees with, tho ... is she not approving of the substance of what Derrick has said or the nasty way he's been saying it (or both)? Either way, I get the definite vibe that Jill is trying gently distance herself from Derrick and his Twitter drama.  That's pretty nervy for her. I approve. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, louannems said:

Interesting. The RV park could provide employment for a few Duggars (manager, grounds upkeep, maintenance) and provide homes (RVs) for young marrieds as well. I could see a married couple becoming onsite managers. 

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Ooops, you beat me to it, BigSkyGirl!

• Love 1

Maybe JB saw the Forsyths' family camp and decided he needed a similar business venture. The Foysths' camp has cabins and activities, but an RV park seems easier to establish. 

It's hard for me to imagine this isn't some kind of Christian RV park. I wonder if they'll have problems with the kind of people who might show up. 

As for the money, he has 19 kids- 10 boys and at least one son-in-law who works primarily for JB. He has the next generation of 200 to think about.(Even if someone of the families like JinJer are self-sufficient that still leaves a possible 100 grandkids for the future.) I doubt they're hard up now, but JB is thinking for the future, especially if they're no longer on tv. A lot of wealthy people don't have huge families so that there are less heirs to fight over the inheritance. I could see this family squabbling over money in the long run. 

• Love 6

I have an honest question (not a camper here!).  What’s an “upscale RV Park”?  Gold hook-ups? Robes available in the outdoor bathrooms? If anyone has ever stayed in one, please clue me in.

• Love 18
10 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

I have an honest question (not a camper here!).  What’s an “upscale RV Park”?  Gold hook-ups? Robes available in the outdoor bathrooms? If anyone has ever stayed in one, please clue me in.

In the case of the Duggars, they would hand out bibles, have the kids sing for the guests, and try to save their heathen souls. I would not be surprise if the park would only be for people who agree with their religious and political beliefs.

(edited)
32 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

The term "trailer park" has a stereotype of lower class individuals, who have relatively crass habits.  My guess is that JB is trying to negate the images conjured up by the term trailer park by calling it "an upscale RV Park". The urban dictionary offers several definitions if you want to learn more about these stereotypes.

21 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

In the case of the Duggars, they would hand out bibles, have the kids sing for the guests, and try to save their heathen souls. I would not be surprise if the park would only be for people who agree with their religious and political beliefs.

I also would not be surprised.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2

The majority of people who live in trailer parks are smarter, classier, have a stronger work ethic, and treat people with more kindness and respect than all the Duggars including sons and daughters-in-law combined.

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Well, that's restrictive.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

Several of my inlaws have Rv's and go camping a ton.  Not only would their "spot" need to have room for the RV itself, but also at least one car spot - because my inlaws often tow their car behind the rv.  Electrical, water and dumptank sewage connections.  Onsite laundry facilities as well as wifi available.  Preferably a small store connected to the office/laundry area for things like firewood for outdoor firepits, charcoal, bottled water, food basics and such - perhaps Jana could sell her fresh garden produce there?  It would need to be clean and maintained at all times - good luck with the clean aspect.  Also a dog walking area - my aunt and uncle take their labrodoodle all over the country with them.  Add in some type of possible play area for kids and such and it's a lot of work.  I just don't see the Duggars getting it.  My FIL would probably drive them crazy, because they do a cocktail wine and cheese hour every evening and sit outside in their chairs.  Plus, especially in the summer can you imagine all the women wearing shorts and showing shoulders? DEFRAUDING would be everywhere!.  And since I think it's in Fayetteville, isn't that where the college is? So a ton of traffic during football season with cookouts and beer all around, along with swearing and shenanigns.  

• Love 22
(edited)
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

Several of my inlaws have Rv's and go camping a ton.  Not only would their "spot" need to have room for the RV itself, but also at least one car spot - because my inlaws often tow their car behind the rv.  Electrical, water and dumptank sewage connections.  Onsite laundry facilities as well as wifi available.  Preferably a small store connected to the office/laundry area for things like firewood for outdoor firepits, charcoal, bottled water, food basics and such - perhaps Jana could sell her fresh garden produce there?  It would need to be clean and maintained at all times - good luck with the clean aspect.  Also a dog walking area - my aunt and uncle take their labrodoodle all over the country with them.  Add in some type of possible play area for kids and such and it's a lot of work.  I just don't see the Duggars getting it.  My FIL would probably drive them crazy, because they do a cocktail wine and cheese hour every evening and sit outside in their chairs.  Plus, especially in the summer can you imagine all the women wearing shorts and showing shoulders? DEFRAUDING would be everywhere!.  And since I think it's in Fayetteville, isn't that where the college is? So a ton of traffic during football season with cookouts and beer all around, along with swearing and shenanigns.  

Most normal, much less upscale RV Campsites also have pools.  Even rustic tent camping has wifi these days.

I do think that there is some confusion over trailer parks and RV parks which are apples and oranges, though both are beyond any Duggar expertise.  I guess there are some fools who might give them a try.  However, most RVers are quite knowledgable and expect the best at a good price.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

I do think that there is some confusion over trailer parks and RV parks which are apples and oranges, though both are beyond any Duggar expertise.  I guess there are some fools who might give them a try.  However, most RVers are quite knowledgable and expect the best at a good price.

Agreed. I've lived in both, and to me, they're not the same thing at all. I'm not really sure there is a stereotype about people in RV parks compared to trailer parks. But I really have no idea what an upscale one would look like. Probably not like the ones I lived in. ;) 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

Knowing how the Duggars do everything half-assed, their 'upscale rv park' will probably just be a vacant grass lot where people can park. No store, no playground or pool, no hookups or laundry. Kinda what walmart allows for free but ole JB will charge for the privilege of parking on Duggar land. I hope the locals and zoning boards give JB a real hard time setting up this business venture.

• Love 21

Also aren’t trailer parks like semi permanant type homes whilst RV parks are like temporary vacation type places for campers? There’s several trailer parks near me that are very nice, gated, well kept landscaped. Pools and clubhouses. Several are 55 and up retirement places.

• Love 16