Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

You've got to be kidding me. So we're getting the SiRen courtship, JoKen honeymoom, J'Austin "midwife" appointment and JinJer baby announcement, meanwhile we've already seen Si's wedding and the latter three couples have already given birth. They've got to find some way to produce these episodes closer to real time. 

We'll need score cards to keep this all straight.

• Love 6

I hate this new structure that started with Joy-Anna’s wedding of the “event” then the “flashback” to the process. It’s awful. 

4 hours ago, Nysha said:

Why do these take so long to produce? Joe & Kendra have been married long enough to have a baby and yet TLC is just now showing their honeymoon. These people are boring as &%*# to begin with, but waiting so long to air the shows makes them even more boring because we've already seen & read about it. I don't how many episodes a year TLC airs, but I think they'd do better to air 4 weeks worth every 3 months. At least then we wouldn't be hearing about a honeymoon a year after it happened.

Especially with social media etc, we have already follows it!

4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

You've got to be kidding me. So we're getting the SiRen courtship, JoKen honeymoom, J'Austin "midwife" appointment and JinJer baby announcement, meanwhile we've already seen Si's wedding and the latter three couples have already given birth. They've got to find some way to produce these episodes closer to real time. 

They can produce them they don’t want to- no idea why. 

• Love 3

Maybe they should just go back to VSEs - in real time. That's basically what these episodes are.

It seems all reality shows eventually start only filming birthdays, vacations and wedding renewals. The producers seem to forget that they gained viewers by showing a day-in-the-life-of episodes. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe they should just go back to VSEs - in real time. That's basically what these episodes are.

It seems all reality shows eventually start only filming birthdays, vacations and wedding renewals. The producers seem to forget that they gained viewers by showing a day-in-the-life-of episodes. 

Yes- maybe see what the Seawalds, Vuluos, Forsyths, and Joe &Kendra do on a daily basis, though it probably won’t be that interesting as they haven’t reached “mega family” size yet.....they are just young marrieds. I don’t think they will show much of what Jana and JD do as they will have to be at TTH.....although I would be interested in watching Jana run the household. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes- maybe see what the Seawalds, Vuluos, Forsyths, and Joe &Kendra do on a daily basis, though it probably won’t be that interesting as they haven’t reached “mega family” size yet.....they are just young marrieds. I don’t think they will show much of what Jana and JD do as they will have to be at TTH.....although I would be interested in watching Jana run the household. 

That brings us back to the whole reality show issue with these people. Day-to-day life is boring for everyone, but for the Duggars, even the  young marrieds with 0-2 kids, a true reality show could actually be interesting if they were willing to allow real conversations on camera. Even Jinger and Jeremy--who I suspect are really boring because Jinger really just agrees with everything Jeremy says--could provide some conflict if they would acknowledge how the way they live their lives is different from Jinger's upbringing and why they choose to live that way. But not onen of them want to be even imply that they disagree with how their parents do things, so the show is stuck in this endless loop of weddings, babies, and redecorating. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, SnarkySnarky said:

Oh great, the Seewalds go eat ice cream. As much as I like Benessa, they are boring as shit. TLC needs to give them a plot-line or ditch em like the Dullards.

I say keep Spurge and Henry, and give their parents the boot.

• Love 16
24 minutes ago, lascuba said:

That brings us back to the whole reality show issue with these people. Day-to-day life is boring for everyone, but for the Duggars, even the  young marrieds with 0-2 kids, a true reality show could actually be interesting if they were willing to allow real conversations on camera. Even Jinger and Jeremy--who I suspect are really boring because Jinger really just agrees with everything Jeremy says--could provide some conflict if they would acknowledge how the way they live their lives is different from Jinger's upbringing and why they choose to live that way. But not onen of them want to be even imply that they disagree with how their parents do things, so the show is stuck in this endless loop of weddings, babies, and redecorating. 

The old show was better. Sure we had to put up with Boob and Mullet, but at least we got to see the clan travel and try fun activities.

23 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I say keep Spurge and Henry, and give their parents the boot.

Lol. I'd take Spurge and his passion for trucks over Benessa any day.

• Love 3

I don't follow the show anymore so I don't know who's begetting with who anymore, or who has begot with who, but that commercial with J'chelle and some random young girl singing the Star Spangled Banner made my ears bleed. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

I don't follow the show anymore so I don't know who's begetting with who anymore, or who has begot with who, but that commercial with J'chelle and some random young girl singing the Star Spangled Banner made my ears bleed. 

I’ve never watched any of these shows but like the Kardashians, I know way too much about them. And in response to the commercial? No. It is not cute. Obviously mother D is not taking kindly to being a pensioned broodmare and is trying to wring every drop of “fame” from whatever kid can’t court herself out of that house.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

Omg, I was just going to say the same thing!!

• Love 2

Watching the previews and Michelle directing the howler singing....I almost took a gun and shot the tv..I studied voice at Oberlin conservatory and sang with Cleveland orchestra chorus and opera....I took piano for 12 years yet she considers herself an instructor... and the child a singer..I'm poking out my ear drums

• Love 23
1 hour ago, seahag50 said:

Watching the previews and Michelle directing the howler singing....I almost took a gun and shot the tv..I studied voice at Oberlin conservatory and sang with Cleveland orchestra chorus and opera....I took piano for 12 years yet she considers herself an instructor... and the child a singer..I'm poking out my ear drums

If I'm not mistaken that was Josie singing....so yeah they are going to be all over this CD being made (or whatever it is, does anyone still make CD's anymore?)

• Love 1

I saw that TLC preview last night with Josie 'singing' and Michelle 'directing'. It was awful. What's the point of making a CD of the national anthem with this family? Josie needed to be in school and get up to grade level. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Why do you think they are airing the episodes at 9pm and 10pm? It’s so late for a show that is supposed to be wholesome viewing for the whole family. 

I get their  episodes at 7 and 8 p.m. .

• Love 1
On 8/5/2018 at 5:24 AM, floridamom said:

I saw that TLC preview last night with Josie 'singing' and Michelle 'directing'. It was awful. What's the point of making a CD of the national anthem with this family? Josie needed to be in school and get up to grade level. 

It’s for $$$. Time for a new money making strategy since  new courtships might not be in the pipeline for the next few months. 

• Love 2
On 7/16/2018 at 8:33 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

How do they feel about Gospel music? Because to my atheist ear, a gospel beat is about the sexiest thing there is. Kind of like a waltz on steroids. 

Years ago, I recall Michelle answering a question about different styles of religious music.  She responded in a diplomatic manner, explaining that the more calm, conservative, spiritual music was what appealed to them.  I got the impression that this upbeat, emotionally charged, gospel stuff was not to their liking....not necessarily naughty, but, just not in their wheelhouse. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Why do you think they are airing the episodes at 9pm and 10pm? It’s so late for a show that is supposed to be wholesome viewing for the whole family. 

What was on at 7 and 8 pm?

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Years ago, I recall Michelle answering a question about different styles of religious music.  She responded in a diplomatic manner, explaining that the more calm, conservative, spiritual music was what appealed to them.  I got the impression that this upbeat, emotionally charged, gospel stuff was not to their liking....not necessarily naughty, but, just not in their wheelhouse. 

The whole family once attended a black mega church and let me tell you, that group was not into the music AT ALL. Anna couldn't even be bothered to hide her disgust behind a polite smile.

• Love 10

Yeah, I'm not sure if I recall that. I think that it's a matter of personal taste.  I grew up in fundie church, but, their music is probably more than what the Duggars could handle.  Some fundie churches go for drums, guitars, etc.  in their music but, if it gets too loud, rhythmic, or intense, it starts to approach on sacrilege to them.  I think that makes some people very uncomfortable. 

• Love 1
On 30/08/2018 at 2:45 PM, Booey said:

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this. Sorry if should be somewhere else. I just came across this article about, well, us, and thought it was interesting. (Almost. I don't believe it calls out this forum specifically. Is way past my bedtime & have only skimmed it so far.)

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mb4yka/inside-the-weird-online-world-of-people-who-love-to-hate-the-duggars

How embarrassing (for those featured).

Except for Duggar Data.

I never knew it existed before today, it is fascinating,

anonymous  asked:

I've been trying to think of how to word this - hope you understand the ask! Which increment of 10 grandchildren are expected to arrive the fastest for the Duggars and Bates' (e.g. 1st to 10th, 11th to 20th...)? I'm guessing that the first 10 will remain the slowest to arrive and each succeeding 10 will be quicker as more children enter the "childbearing race" over time, but would love to see the data! Thank you so much for everything you do with this blog, it's truly my favourite to read :)

Which 10–GrandDuggar Interval Will Arrive The Fastest?

Fascinating Ask!  As it turns out, the results are fairly terrifying…

So, yeah…  No increment of ten GrandDuggars will beat GrandDuggars 161—170, who will all be born within 176 Days.  (Yes, you read that right.)  That’s just under 6 Months—5.78 Months, to be exact.  Here’s the members of that group and their DOBs, per the Predictor (on 8–4–18)—

161   Jan 22, 2035     Justin’s #6

162   Feb 13, 2035     Jackson’s #5

163   Feb 23, 2035     James’s #7     

164   Apr 10, 2035     Joseph’s #16

165   May 25, 2035    Jason’s #8

166   Jun 04, 2035     Josie’s #3

167   Jun 30, 2035     Jessa’s #16

168   July 10, 2035     Josiah’s #12

169   July 17, 2035     Jedidiah’s #9

170   July 17, 2035     Jeremiah’s #9

Even more terrifyingly, this isn’t a crazy outlier…  Out of twenty–six total, twelve 10 GrandDuggar intervals (46%) will arrive within 1 Year (365 Days) or less.  Do the math and you’ll find that it’ll take, on average, just 536 Days—or 1.5 Years—for the GrandDuggar total to increase by ten.  (Scarily enough, the median is even lower, at just 379 Days.)

It’s safe to say, we’ll never again see a 3,060 Day (8.38 Year) age gap, like that between Mackynzie (#1) and Gideon (#10).

• Love 8
10 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Duggar's net worth. I found this article interesting. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it's still interesting.

I think it's mostly BS. The tipoff to me that the author was clueless and probably pulling most of this out of their *ss, was the reference to JB and Michelle not getting "residuals" after 19K&C was cancelled.

AFAIK, reality tv stars don't get residuals, which is what makes those shows such cash cows for the cable channels. Until Joshgate, TLC was running repeats of the Duggar shows like crazy, IIRC. Now those shows are gathering virtual dust and TLC's making bank on Say Yes to the Dress repeats instead. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, kokapetl said:

How embarrassing (for those featured).

Except for Duggar Data.

I never knew it existed before today, it is fascinating,

I do not think the last half of the current generation of both the Duggars and Bates will  have as many children as people might think.  Why, you ask? 

Money and life experiences.   Jim Bob and Michelle head this family. If  even one of them dies, the situation changes drastically.  Can his offspring run his businesses and make what he does?  What if one of this current generation or their spouse dies, especially in childbirth?  I’ve seen how death changes the survivors in my own extended family and friends - their life headed in drastically different directions. Often life was quite drama filled for a while.  I think Justin and on down may have very few children as a result. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I do not think the last half of the current generation of both the Duggars and Bates will  have as many children as people might think.  Why, you ask? 

Money and life experiences.   Jim Bob and Michelle head this family. If  even one of them dies, the situation changes drastically.  Can his offspring run his businesses and make what he does?  What if one of this current generation or their spouse dies, especially in childbirth?  I’ve seen how death changes the survivors in my own extended family and friends - their life headed in drastically different directions. Often life was quite drama filled for a while.  I think Justin and on down may have very few children as a result. 

Yes. Also statistically at least 1-2 Duggar children won’t have any children at all. A few more might only have 1-2 due to personal choice or circumstance. 

The 3rd set of kids (I consider Josh-Jinger to be the 1st set, Joseph-Justin 2nd set, Jackson-Josie 3rd set) will likely have a “typical” number of kids (2-3). 

I don’t think Jessa will have 16 by any stretch of the imagination. I can expect the Duggars to have between 60-80 grandchildren at the end of the day, with an average of 3-4 per child (of course some children will have more and other children will have none). 

• Love 7

I think Josh is probably going to have the most kids because, like Michelle, having kids is the only identity Anna has. But, since she's spacing hers out she's not going to have 15-20. They'll probably manage 8 or 10 before her womb closes up. I do think that Jill probably would try to match Michelle, but I don't think she's physically capable of having many/any more. Jeremy and Austin seem pretty pragmatic to me, so I don't see either one of them having more than 2-3 kids. Jeremy is going to want to give his kids all the same opportunities he had growing up and knows that that will be impossible with a dozen kids. It's only going to take another kid or two for Austin to realize that they're slowing down his flipping business. The rest will probably have 2-5 kids.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

It's only going to take another kid or two for Austin to realize that they're slowing down his flipping business. 

I agree. It will be hard for his prized pack mule to haul his tools around if she's wrangling five kids and a breastfeeding baby.

• Love 16
On 7/29/2018 at 5:19 PM, Scarlett45 said:

It’s hard to film people who do little to nothing.

• Love 18

When Derick says that TLC programming is filth, he's not fundamentally wrong. The problem has to do with his "evidence," if you will, that he is using to support his assertion that TLC is filth. Derick says TLC is filth because they featured an individual who is transgender. Yet he doesn't call out any of the things highlighted in the article above. Furthermore, there was no mention of Jazz in that article. 

• Love 10
On 9/16/2018 at 1:12 PM, mythoughtis said:

Rap541 posted this link over on the Roloff media thread,  it applies here too. Especially since Derick tweeted a derogatory comment about TLC programming. It’s kind of hard to snark on him about it. 

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-signs-tlc-shows-have-gone-from-stupid-to-evil/

I think this says a lot about who is willing to be filmed as well. Not that all TLC families are bad or criminals because they're not. But to me, reality shows like the Real Housewives, the Kardashians, Dance Moms, 19 Kids, etc. are a bit telling as to who's willing to be filmed year after year with no purpose other than money and fame. TLC doesn't have the only whacked families with criminal activity.

• Love 9
46 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think this says a lot about who is willing to be filmed as well. Not that all TLC families are bad or criminals because they're not. But to me, reality shows like the Real Housewives, the Kardashians, Dance Moms, 19 Kids, etc. are a bit telling as to who's willing to be filmed year after year with no purpose other than money and fame. TLC doesn't have the only whacked families with criminal activity.

That's my take on it. TLC is evil precisely because they feature people like Derick and worse. And the vast majority of people who want fame via reality tv are automatically problematic in some way, even the non-criminals among them. 

• Love 12
20 minutes ago, lascuba said:

That's my take on it. TLC is evil precisely because they feature people like Derick and worse. And the vast majority of people who want fame via reality tv are automatically problematic in some way, even the non-criminals among them. 

That and how many people ended up having assaulted people. They've had how many now? Three or four? One I might buy they don't know. But when you have three or four different people on different shows in your line up who have sexual assaulted someone? That does and should reflect on the network. Its harder to buy they didn't know and/or don't bother with background checks.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

That and how many people ended up having assaulted people. They've had how many now? Three or four? One I might buy they don't know. But when you have three or four different people on different shows in your line up who have sexual assaulted someone? That does and should reflect on the network. Its harder to buy they didn't know and/or don't bother with background checks.

I imagine that most (all?) reality shows walk a tightrope of kind of hoping they've hired larger than life, big-gestured, etc. type of people; yet madly have their fingers crossed that they can be said type of people without actually resorting to breaking the law.  Kind of like, it's tough to imagine the producers of Survivor really think they can guarantee that someone who's been psych tested hither and yon in some plush civilized location, isn't going to go doolally when faced with a starvation diet for the first time in their lives.

• Love 6