Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Temperance said:

I have the feeling the Duggars are sitting on a few announcements that they will reveal either when John gets married or when the show comes back. 

Totally agree. They’re spacing them out for maximum media attention as usual. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oy. So there are three options...someone’s pregnant, someone’s engaged, or someone’s “courting.”

Does NOTHING else ever happen in their lives??? At this point, I would be thrilled if a Duggar announced he/she/it had ringworm. Or got a tattoo. Got their dog fixed. Literally ANYTHING else.

Don’t hold your breath. Pregnant or courting is all we got. 

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oy. So there are three options...someone’s pregnant, someone’s engaged, or someone’s “courting.”

Does NOTHING else ever happen in their lives??? At this point, I would be thrilled if a Duggar announced he/she/it had ringworm. Or got a tattoo. Got their dog fixed. Literally ANYTHING else.

We had Jill getting a nose stud. That's about it.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

My guess is -- Nothing else that doesn't make them look bad. 

• Love 12
54 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Since when do they have the ability to discern how their posts come across?

True, but I doubt they would announce something like:

Jim Bob and Michelle were caught in a tax evasion scheme and now face federal prison time!

Derick was kicked out of law school because he couldn't hack it. He is planning to remain unemployed and grift for your hard-earned cash instead!

(Examples are from my imagination and any resemblance to actual events is coincidental.)

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Triple P said:

True, but I doubt they would announce something like:

Jim Bob and Michelle were caught in a tax evasion scheme and now face federal prison time!

Derick was kicked out of law school because he couldn't hack it. He is planning to remain unemployed and grift for your hard-earned cash instead!

(Examples are from my imagination and any resemblance to actual events is coincidental.)

They're pretty mum on Anna's possible #6, too.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Since when do they have the ability to discern how their posts come across?

Excellent point. ....

I was sort of thinking that, by now, they'd determined that weddings and courtships and births generally get many positive responses, while they find the responses to EVERYTHING else unpredictable (for the reason you mention -- I mean, they thought their Josh-the-Molester response was going to be a winner!)....So after a period of headscratching, they decided to just post the sure things. lol 

• Love 5
On 10/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, Westiepeach said:

Don’t hold your breath. Pregnant or courting is all we got. 

That’s why I’ve been lurking and not posting much.Everything they do is so boring. 

It’s weddings,birthdays,trips,and babies. The faces and locations are interchangeable. Lather,rinse,repeat. 

I’m not even interested in JD’s wedding. It’s just more of the same. Boring.

And not once,ever, have we seen any of the Duggars,or the adjacents, all with copious time on their hands, doing any good for others.

Do they volunteer in a soup kitchen, collect for the food bank, volunteer in a hospital or nursing home?

Maybe, if they filmed them dishing up food, handing out warm coats, delivering groceries to those less fortunate, the show would be more interesting.

Arkansas is not a rich state, I’m sure if they pulled their heads out of their butts and looked around, they could  find someone in need.

• Love 20

Maybe, if they filmed them dishing up food, handing out warm coats, delivering groceries to those less fortunate, the show would be more interesting.

Some of this has been done. It was followed by them taking the food back.

• Love 18

Or the food loops.  Like, we give you food, and you give it back.  Here we go loop-de-loop.

Serious question:  isn't it easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven?

Seems I've heard that before.  Obviously, I misheard, or the Duggars don't believe that part, if in fact, it's in the Bible.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Or the food loops.  Like, we give you food, and you give it back.  Here we go loop-de-loop.

Serious question:  isn't it easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the gates of heaven?

Seems I've heard that before.  Obviously, I misheard, or the Duggars don't believe that part, if in fact, it's in the Bible.

As for the "eye of the needle" stuff:  I once heard someone explain this.  I'm not sure whether it's true but - for what it's worth - here goes:

In ancient walled cities there was a main gate that could be lowered and lifted for safety.  Often, they would build in a small door somewhere in a hidden spot in the wall elsewhere called "the eye of the needle".  This was for couriers, men with hidden business or errands for the king/leader, etc.  After I heard that, the verse made more sense.  Sure, a camel probably wouldn't fit in the little door but he certainly wouldn't go through the eye of an actual needle.

Edited by NotFundie
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Jordan Baker said:

Or got a husband fixed.

Oh yeah.  True story:  I have fundie relatives.  Back in the 90's, I was told of a father of seven who dared get a vasectomy.  The fundie church kicked him out.

Pretty damn sad, when a church tells anyone that they should procreate beyond their capacity.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Oh yeah.  True story:  I have fundie relatives.  Back in the 90's, I was told of a father of seven who dared get a vasectomy.  The fundie church kicked him out.

Pretty damn sad, when a church tells anyone that they should procreate beyond their capacity.

Yes, God forbid he or any adult decide for themselves or with their spouses how many children they want and/or can afford and handle. Or that maybe that is God telling them to stop.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Yep. Matthew 19:24.  But we all know the Duggars cherry pick the scriptures.  They’d rather follow Gothard’s word than God’s.  

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Yep. Matthew 19:24.  But we all know the Duggars cherry pick the scriptures.  They’d rather follow Gothard’s word than God’s.  

Shhhh....ignore that verse....it sounds almost....Catholic or something (or at least not the right type of evangelical Christian).....

The Prosperity Gospel requires them to ignore Matt 19:24, the Beatitudes, and some other parts of the Bible because JESUS WANTS YOU TO BE RICH!!! IF YOU ARE SAVED, YOU CAN BE RICH LIKE JESUS DESIRES FOR YOU! Why worry your head about sacrificing for others, good works, charity, etc when people who are saved by blonde, blue-eyed, Evangelical Jesus who loves wealth & consumption wants you to have money & stuff? How else are people going to know that you're on the right Jesus "Team" if he doesn't make his team rich? (See: Joel Olsteen, etc.)  

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 12

Seems like A LOT of “Christians” conveniently ignore that part of the bible.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Shhhh....ignore that verse....it sounds almost....Catholic or something (or at least not the right type of evangelical Christian).....

The Prosperity Gospel requires them to ignore Matt 19:24, the Beatitudes, and some other parts of the Bible because JESUS WANTS YOU TO BE RICH!!! IF YOU ARE SAVED, YOU CAN BE RICH LIKE JESUS DESIRES FOR YOU! Why worry your head about sacrificing for others, good works, charity, etc when people who are saved by blonde, blue-eyed, Evangelical Jesus who loves wealth & consumption wants you to have money & stuff? How else are people going to know that you're on the right Jesus "Team" if he doesn't make his team rich? (See: Joel Olsteen, etc.)  

I'm going to assume they skip right over the part about riches on earth and riches in Heaven and how its harder for the rich man to get into Heaven along with every thing with Jesus in it right. Oh, who am I kidding they probably have never even open the Bible let alone read it.   

• Love 2
6 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm going to assume they skip right over the part about riches on earth and riches in Heaven and how its harder for the rich man to get into Heaven along with every thing with Jesus in it right. Oh, who am I kidding they probably have never even open the Bible let alone read it.   

It's too hard to beat people over the head with it if you're reading it. 

• Love 22
16 hours ago, Jordan Baker said:

Now I have Bruce Springsteen stuck in my head. Just substitute "Arkansas" for "Baltimore."

16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I took a wrong turn and I just kept going.......

If only!

I thought of Bruce Springsteen too as soon as I read it. 

I love that song, it helps that I live just south of Baltimore. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lunera said:

I think we know why Jessa and Lauren weren't shown. 

I know why Jill wasn't but I thought Jessa would want to promote her "brand." And I would think Lauren and Josiah weren't included because she is a beard and htey are not compatible, but I don't think that's what the Duggars would think.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I know why Jill wasn't but I thought Jessa would want to promote her "brand." And I would think Lauren and Josiah weren't included because she is a beard and htey are not compatible, but I don't think that's what the Duggars would think.

I think the original poster was trying to imply that Jessa and Lauren might both be visibly pregnant.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think the original poster was trying to imply that Jessa and Lauren might both be visibly pregnant.

Ah, thanks. Did not occur to me--I guess I forgot these are Duggars we're talking about. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I think the original poster was trying to imply that Jessa and Lauren might both be visibly pregnant

They could always photoshop in an old non-pregnant photo of Jessa and/or Lauren. TLC has done composite photos of the Duggars before.

• Love 2
On 23/11/2018 at 3:12 PM, lascuba said:

Props to the Babes for looking as bored as the situation deserves. 

It annoys me that they couldn’t fake some enthusiasm for the job they signed up for, if I went to work and look less than impressed to be there, I’d be having to explain my disinterest in my job 

Edited by Totally
  • Love 4

So John David's wedding airs on TLC. It's a half hour according to the tv, so probably the same on-line. But maybe the Duggars will want to generate publicity with an announcement assuming there's something to announce? It feels like there was more press and build-up for Siah and Lauren than John and Abbie, which seems odd since Abbie and John are older and maybe a little more interesting. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe they'll announce that Anna, Jessa, Joy, Kendra, Lauren and Abbie are expecting and Kendra's sister and a J-twin are getting to know each other. And that Josie and her Sissycats are going to Nashville.

Joy said yesterday she isn't pregnant, but the rest could be.  

• Love 3