Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Not so sure. There was a chyron at the conclusion of The Little Couple announcing it's return in 2018. No such announcement following the Duggars' season finale. They also announce the new season's airdate much sooner than two months after the finale. Maybe they had to go back and edit Derelict out and add some mindnumbingly boring filler to make 6 episodes, delaying the new season's debut? If they were coming back in January, TLC would have typically announced by now. Their silence is deafening at this point. 

eta: If Jessa is holding out for more money, good luck. You're not the cast of Friends.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Not so sure. There was a chyron at the conclusion of The Little Couple announcing it's return in 2018. No such announcement following the Duggars' season finale. They also announce the new season's airdate much sooner than two months after the finale. Maybe they had to go back and edit Derelict out and add some mindnumbingly boring filler to make 6 episodes, delaying the new season's debut? If they were coming back in January, TLC would have typically announced by now. Their silence is deafening at this point. 

The Little Couple can be relied upon not to fuck things up. 

• Love 13

True dat. However, TLC has always been quick to announce return dates for the Duggars in the past. Normally, they would have even announced before Jazzgate. I don't believe the shows ran concurrently, and Derelict's tweet contained TLC's announcement for an episode of I am Jazz that evening. 

I think The Little Couple got an announcement because this season was cut short from what was supposed to air.  Episodes that were on the schedule got pulled.  TLC sometimes announces the final season of xyz to try to hype viewership.  Their usual plan is to never make a public announcement a show is ending.  It simply fades away. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JoanArc said:

I hope it gnaws at all of them, every single day, that 20 Kids ...and Counting never existed.

Michelle miscarried a pregnancy after Josh was born and the fetus was posthumously named Caleb.  That miscarriage was probably before a 12-week pregnancy because they never knew the sex of the embryo.  Jim Bob and Michelle count the miscarriage as one of their kids, but that was probably too weird for TLC so the show title ignored Caleb.

After Josie was born in 2009, there was another miscarried fetus.  This miscarriage at four months was accompanied by an elaborate funeral that was filmed for the TV show.  That fetus was named Jubilee.  So, in Michelle's mind, she's the mother of 21 kids and still counting fertility options, while borrowing another kid from her niece.

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 4

One cautionary note here would be that TLC does still have things to air, don't they? As I recall, Jer's mother said that they'd be filming her fundraiser -- attended by Jer and Jingle -- for her music class/conversion institute. I don't recall anybody saying that that aired in the last season. Did it?

If they have stuff in the can, they'll be loath not to use it, I expect.  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

One cautionary note here would be that TLC does still have things to air, don't they? As I recall, Jer's mother said that they'd be filming her fundraiser -- attended by Jer and Jingle -- for her music class/conversion institute. I don't recall anybody saying that that aired in the last season. Did it?

If they have stuff in the can, they'll be loath not to use it, I expect.  

They shelved an entire season of 19 Kids after Joshgate II (after putting the show on immediate/indefinite hiatus after Joshgate I).

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

TLC has paid for a Swiss honeymoon and a Greek honeymoon  

Sadly neither couple probably appreciated it .  They would have been happier if TLC paid for a Motel 6 on the interstate & provided them with all the Chick-fil-a they can eat.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Kokapetl said:

TLC has paid for a Swiss honeymoon and a Greek honeymoon that we’ve yet to see, so I think there’s at least one more season. I think the show is pretty safe. It rates well enough. 

Ahhh, that's true. Also it was Swiss/Israel honeymoon.  The show is probably safe. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Israel portion was a missioncation, so I doubt it was filmed.

Yep. And a somewhat controversial missioncation, too. It's one thing to film a missioncation where the 'cationers pretend to be helping out in a poor area and quite another where they're converting Israelis to make the End Times come. 

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Looks like they're back. They were seen filming last week.

790a381d-a6cb-4612-a33e-6050ccf5ba1c.jpg

Well, I can see why. That looks riveting. 

Of course, as long as it's a "cute" segment that completely glosses over their crappy beliefs and behaviors, then it's all good. 

• Love 18
31 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Not for nothing but wtf is with all the pedicures? 

I want to make a foot fetish joke but after all we learned about Josh, that would be disgusting.  (yes, very nice Christian family, very nice)

I thought the foot fetish belonged to the "what we know about Gothard" department. 

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Oh gosh, I forgot about that old goat and his foot fetish. 

So vile.

If you thought that was gross, there was a vile character in Season 3 of Poldark who was really into feet with an enthusiasm Gothard was afraid to match, and he was a vicar! I could only think of how creepy Gothard made foot fetish behavior. I’ve never done the spoiler thing so I hope I did it right. And, some of you might be eating... 

Spoiler

Toe sucking scene in Poldark. BBC refused to show it in 70s version. 

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

If you thought that was gross, there was a vile character in Season 3 of Poldark who was really into feet with an enthusiasm Gothard was afraid to match, and he was a vicar! I could only think of how creepy Gothard made foot fetish behavior. I’ve never done the spoiler thing so I hope I did it right. And, some of you might be eating... 

Reveal hidden contents

Toe sucking scene in Poldark. BBC refused to show it in 70s version. 

Ewww...Haven't seen the new Poldark series, and this doesn't make it more appealing! LOL. I was just too in love with Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees in the original to even find the updated version tempting. Though I do hear that it is quite good.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Ewww...Haven't seen the new Poldark series, and this doesn't make it more appealing! LOL. I was just too in love with Robin Ellis and Angharad Rees in the original to even find the updated version tempting. Though I do hear that it is quite good.

The new series is really good. 

Much better than watching the Duggars to keep OT.

Edited by Love2dance
Word change
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Lunera said:

Looks like they're back. They were seen filming last week.

790a381d-a6cb-4612-a33e-6050ccf5ba1c.jpg

Holy shit, is that Joy? I haven't been on the pregnant before marriage train, but she looks like she's 10 months pregnant!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Holy shit, is that Joy? I haven't been on the pregnant before marriage train, but she looks like she's 10 months pregnant!

She looks like Jessica Simpson's first pregnancy.  Next pregnancy we'll see if she learned anything from this one.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

It also looks pretty flabby to be all baby weight...That's not just sticking out front like a solid baby bump, but appears to be spilling sideways as well. I've  seen a good number of non-pregnant women with a shape not that far different. Heck, if you photographed me from that angle and dressed in a clingy top I wouldn't exactly make a pretty picture either.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Robin Ellis actually appears in the new series, but obviously not as Ross Poldark. Angharad Rees unfortunately passed away or she would have probably been given a role as well.  By all accounts, they were a hard act to follow. 

The actor who plays the repulsive vicar in the remake is actually quite a dish IRL. He played that role to the hilt. There is some excellent acting all around. Aunt Agatha was a fan favorite in the new series.

• Love 1

I never made the connection until now about the seemingly often pedicures the Duggar girls get with the Gothard "foot fetish"....yuck.

Glad someone else thought the same thing about Joy's appearance. I thought she looked flabby for being pregnant too. She also needs a really good bra. She looks awful in that still photo.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I never made the connection until now about the seemingly often pedicures the Duggar girls get with the Gothard "foot fetish"....yuck.

Glad someone else thought the same thing about Joy's appearance. I thought she looked flabby for being pregnant too. She also needs a really good bra. She looks awful in that still photo.

I don’t think the Duggar girls get pedicures that often, specially compared to other young women in their age group. (Although other women in their age group often have jobs and no kids so more disposable income) I say this not to criticize you but because it reminded me of a scene from 18kids and counting (I think- I don’t know if Josie was born yet) when the 4 older girls went to a professional nail salon for the VERY FIRST TIME and I was FLOORED that how hard those girls work, JB was such a cheap ass he couldn’t send them for a professional nail treatement at least on their birthday for Pete’s sake. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

They've all needed proper fitting bras for ages now. Joy looked like she got the J'Slaves hand-me-downs while living in the TTH.

• Love 4

They get free chocolate messes for their birthdays not nail salon visits. Donkey face is notoriously cheap. I do recall Mechelle saying Boob always buys new underwear and socks before a trip. Think how many trips they take. Meanwhile his kids wear flip flops and used shoes. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SMama said:

Meanwhile his kids wear flip flops and used shoes. 

Call me a germophobe if you will but I always thought the shoe thing was totally gross, not something to brag about. Buying used clothes is fine, great even; there's no reason why perfectly good clothes should be thrown away. But shoes... you can't wash them. Someone's been sweating in those shoes. And moulding them to fit their own feet. I understand people buying used shoes if they genuinely cannot afford new ones, but the Duggars keep buying used shoes even when they can afford new ones.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Vaysh said:

Call me a germophobe if you will but I always thought the shoe thing was totally gross, not something to brag about. Buying used clothes is fine, great even; there's no reason why perfectly good clothes should be thrown away. But shoes... you can't wash them. Someone's been sweating in those shoes. And moulding them to fit their own feet. I understand people buying used shoes if they genuinely cannot afford new ones, but the Duggars keep buying used shoes even when they can afford new ones.

I couldn’t do it either, ewwwwwwww. I wouldn’t have a problem if the soles weren’t scuffed, indicating new and maybe tried on in the house a couple of times. Clothes that still have the tags on are NEW AFAIC.

But still buying used ones and 5hem all sharing ewwwww.  Joy went to the trouble to buy herself some new dresses to wear on dates with Austin, and them was looking for matching beat up shoes and then put her FILTHY bare feet in them on TV, no less.  It was disgusting.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Vaysh said:

Yeah, I can't really bring myself to look in a "used shoe" section, even though it's rumored sometimes in NYC you can find really good secondhand shoes, like $300-$400-good Miu Miu, and barely worn.  I don't know where the shoes have been.  I once got a pair of boots from a site that alleged it only took back "unworn" returns, and after 2-3 wearings, it became unlikely and painfully-inexplicably clear that the boots had last been worn by either a vampire hunter or waiter who spent 12 hours/day in a pizzeria, as they REEKED of garlic after less than a dozen hours warming them with my own feet.  I tried to clean them to no avail, and finally gave up and sent them back for a full refund because I said, "well, this is beyond the pale even if they do look minuscule amounts of used.  These boots should DIAF."

• Love 10