Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Mya said:

I think I remember Ben actually mentioning in a TTH that Jessa ate super fast when he first starting courting her or there was not enough left if she wanted seconds.  I wonder if they were only alloted a certain amount per meal.  Possibly if you weren't fast enough you didn't get seconds.

I’ve heard the same stories from people with 8 to 12 kids that if they weren’t fast enough at the table, they didn’t get enough to eat. Som greedy kid always took more than his/ her share.

imagine 19 and adjacents at the table.  Who’s doing the parenting/monitoring to make sure wack kid gets his/her fair share?

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I’ve heard the same stories from people with 8 to 12 kids that if they weren’t fast enough at the table, they didn’t get enough to eat. Som greedy kid always took more than his/ her share.

imagine 19 and adjacents at the table.  Who’s doing the parenting/monitoring to make sure wack kid gets his/her fair share?

Wack kid, I love it! I wouldn’t be surprised if the boys were allowed to take their share first so the lowly females got whatever was left. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I’ve heard the same stories from people with 8 to 12 kids that if they weren’t fast enough at the table, they didn’t get enough to eat. Som greedy kid always took more than his/ her share

Or, as in the case of the Rodrigui, some greedy mother and father ... 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Mr. Xword's family had 4 kids, but they always had visitors, cousins, etc. at mealtime.  When they hosted an exchange student, he was amazed at how fast everyone dished up & ate.  Mr. Xword clued him in:  "if you don't grab, you don't get."  After we were married, he had to learn that things were different with my family (I was one of 2 kids, and the only mealtime guests we had were at holidays.)  

These huge fundy families?  Wow.  I feel badly for those kids fighting over food.  But, "the Lord shall provide," right?  Apparently, not always.

• Love 8

This discussion reminds me of the old Cambell's Soup commercial. Their "new" chicken soup had more chicken it in. The commercial shows a family with a handful of kids being served the soup, from oldest to youngest. The youngest one gets his bowl and says in amazement, "There's supposed to be chicken in this soup?!"

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

My dad only had one brother and one sister.  My dad always eats fast and finishes well before anyone else.  He claims that he had to eat fast growing up to make sure he had his share.  I'm not sure the size of the family makes any difference.  It is how much food is available.  On the other hand, his mother, my grandmother, was an absolutely terrible cook.  I think he learned to eat fast so he couldn't taste it as much.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Wack kid, I love it! I wouldn’t be surprised if the boys were allowed to take their share first so the lowly females got whatever was left. 

Oops, sorry.  I think chemo has messed up my eyesight, but I’m badly in need of new glasses and have been for a few months.  Just can’t be bothered to be messed about with as I have little stamina to endure my eyes being dilated and lights shone in them and going to this room and waiting room....and no vision plan because no workie and trifocals expensive.

Please forgive my typos, but I’m glad you’re amused by them.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Oops, sorry.  I think chemo has messed up my eyesight, but I’m badly in need of new glasses and have been for a few months.  Just can’t be bothered to be messed about with as I have little stamina to endure my eyes being dilated and lights shone in them and going to this room and waiting room....and no vision plan because no workie and trifocals expensive.

Please forgive my typos, but I’m glad you’re amused by them.

I hear you about needing new eye glasses. I need to upgrade my glasses and prescription sunglasses, but I cannot afford it right now. My poor eyes have taken a beating this year. The ironic thing is my eyes feel better after being dilated, but having lights shone in them do not make them happy campers.

And yes the Duggars put the wack in the word wacky!!!

Josh is trying to get the lawsuit that was filed by the DJ whose picture he stole for the dating sites, site thrown out just on the basis that it was filed in California they don't have jurisdiction.  The article keeps saying "Duggar" or "He" filed motions not the phrase "His Attorney" like you'd expect but I"m sure he has an attorney for this and would love to know who's footing that bill.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5022083/Josh-Duggar-demands-catfish-lawsuit-tossed.html

• Love 1

This means nothing but I found it interesting when the poster asserted Boob is obsessed with having 100 grandchildren. I immediately thought about the stupid video with "going on 200!"  Maybe they have readjusted their expectations due to Jana/JD still being single, and Jinger seemingly not interested in becoming a baby Pez dispenser.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, SMama said:

This means nothing but I found it interesting when the poster asserted Boob is obsessed with having 100 grandchildren. I immediately thought about the stupid video with "going on 200!"  Maybe they have readjusted their expectations due to Jana/JD still being single, and Jinger seemingly not interested in becoming a baby Pez dispenser.

Maybe now they've decided they can be happy with 150 grandchildren and 18 or 19 "couples ministries." That seems to be the new buzz word -- both the Seewalds and the Vuolos got it in their "anniversary greetings." Heck, having all of those couples ministries spreading the correct Jesus everywhere could make JB and M the progenitors of literally millions of spiritual grandchildren! Yay! 

• Love 7

I absolutely believe that Michelle is routinely embarrassed by JB but tries to hide it. Also, what they said about Jana and Jessa fits with my own assumptions.

Ah, confirmation bias....my favorite drug.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I fear they're just citing us without citing us again. We -- or someone else of our ilk -- are almost always the source of these "rumors" they report as if they're rumors started by network executives. 

I personally think the show will never be canceled. Just to thwart me. 

• Love 12

Just was poking around on PACER and saw that the girls are seeking leave to file an Amended Complaint to amend allegations related to Bauer Media (and therefore keep them in the case).  The motion was filed on October 26.  There has not been a response yet from Bauer, but will be interesting to see where this goes.

• Love 1

So as we all knew the lawsuit has nothing to do with “helping other victims,” and it has everything to do with going after the deep pockets. What a bunch of obligate parasites are Duggars and Duggars adjacents.  This is their Plan B for income when Counting On fades away. 

• Love 20
On 11/6/2017 at 10:04 AM, Churchhoney said:

Maybe now they've decided they can be happy with 150 grandchildren and 18 or 19 "couples ministries." That seems to be the new buzz word -- both the Seewalds and the Vuolos got it in their "anniversary greetings." Heck, having all of those couples ministries spreading the correct Jesus everywhere could make JB and M the progenitors of literally millions of spiritual grandchildren! Yay! 

The Seewalds haven't mentioned much religion on SM. How are they spreading word of the correct Jesus?

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

The Seewalds haven't mentioned much religion on SM. How are they spreading word of the correct Jesus?

I think Meechelle thinks (I use the term loosely) that it's their mere existence that does it!

Just the mere sight of Jessa brings us all to her Jesus. That's the feeling I get from MOTY's comments, anyway. She's been talking for years about how Jessa brings thousands of people to Jesus, and I've never seen it tied to any activities. They used to post about the correct Jesus on SM, but they stopped in fairly short order  -- I expect when Jessa realized they were turning some people off and feared for the continuation of the show. Meechelle thinks they're still accomplishing a great "ministry," though, so it must just shine out of them -- because they're HERS, probably.  You mean you haven't noticed the shining?  lol

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, SMama said:

So as we all knew the lawsuit has nothing to do with “helping other victims,” and it has everything to do with going after the deep pockets. What a bunch of obligate parasites are Duggars and Duggars adjacents.  This is their Plan B for income when Counting On fades away. 

Instead of going out and getting off their lazy behinds and getting *gasp* a job to support themselves. JB is probably sweating bullets right now because he has so many people to support and because he has lazy sons-in-law and grandchildren to take care of because none of them have the common sense or job skills to actually find a way to support their spouses and children by joining the rank of file of real life people who do not depend on a law suit, reality television shows, social media, news media, or people who are dumb enough to donate money so they can save heathens from the evilness in the world when in fact there was evilness aka Josh lurking in their own home.

13 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think Meechelle thinks (I use the term loosely) that it's their mere existence that does it!

Just the mere sight of Jessa brings us all to her Jesus. That's the feeling I get from MOTY's comments, anyway. She's been talking for years about how Jessa brings thousands of people to Jesus, and I've never seen it tied to any activities. They used to post about the correct Jesus on SM, but they stopped in fairly short order  -- I expect when Jessa realized they were turning some people off and feared for the continuation of the show. Meechelle thinks they're still accomplishing a great "ministry," though, so it must just shine out of them -- because they're HERS, probably.  You mean you haven't noticed the shining?  lol

The scary thing I assume is, strangers must tell them this when they're out in public; or else where would she get it?  People must compliment her and/or Jessa on making Christianity seem accessible, etc.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, queenanne said:

The scary thing I assume is, strangers must tell them this when they're out in public; or else where would she get it?  People must compliment her and/or Jessa on making Christianity seem accessible, etc.

Yeah, I expect you're absolutely right about this. And of course they do get some of it on social media as well, although that has probably a little less impact. 

I suppose it's sort of the Reality TeeVee version of the kids-who-saw-our-lady-of-medjugorge effect. Because of the stuff they've said on TeeVee and the massive size of the family and Jessa's flowing curly locks and so on, people's imaginations connect her/them with God and feel some aura when they see her/them in real life, so they're kind of mesmerized and rush up to tell her. 

Scary. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I expect you're absolutely right about this. And of course they do get some of it on social media as well, although that has probably a little less impact. 

I suppose it's sort of the Reality TeeVee version of the kids-who-saw-our-lady-of-medjugorge effect. Because of the stuff they've said on TeeVee and the massive size of the family and Jessa's flowing curly locks and so on, people's imaginations connect her/them with God and feel some aura when they see her/them in real life, so they're kind of mesmerized and rush up to tell her. 

Scary. 

I was thinking they might say things like ‘my daughter thought Christian girls had to be colorless bores before they saw your snot threatening her father with elopement’, lol.

• Love 7

I don't understand why they would fail if the show ended:

We've seen some heavy equipment that can make good money, they have investments in property (flipping and renting), I would be surprised if they have ANY debts, they may have some passive income from investments, they have planes that can be rented out to compensate for their personal usage. Why can't it be possible for the Duggs to create a thriving business when they have that sweet TLC money? They've also had a very cheap labour force while the business was being established. They grew the business slowly from their real estate, so I suspect they invested/branched out as they saw demand and opportunity.  Sure they seem to spend a lot of money on crap, and it isn't how most of us would choose to spend money, but maybe they choose the thrift store junk over Gucci. 

As businesses grow they need more employees. It seems to me they have built this business in a really responsible way with very little risk. I think JB loves that TLC nectar$, but I don't think they will fail without it. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

We've seen some heavy equipment that can make good money, they have investments in property (flipping and renting), I would be surprised if they have ANY debts, they may have some passive income from investments, they have planes that can be rented out to compensate for their personal usage. Why can't it be possible for the Duggs to create a thriving business when they have that sweet TLC money? They've also had a very cheap labour force while the business was being established. They grew the business slowly from their real estate, so I suspect they invested/branched out as they saw demand and opportunity.  Sure they seem to spend a lot of money on crap, and it isn't how most of us would choose to spend money, but maybe they choose the thrift store junk over Gucci. 

As businesses grow they need more employees. It seems to me they have built this business in a really responsible way with very little risk. I think JB loves that TLC nectar$, but I don't think they will fail without it. 

The family was struggling before the show came around. JB has more mouths to feed now with new family members popping up. His family is his gravy train. He took $250,000 of his own money to run for office. Television famewhoring is their business. He fought hard to keep the original family show on the air after the molestation scandal hit the fan. He fought for Jill and Jessa to have their own show. The girls filed a lawsuit saying their main source of income has been damaged since Josh the molester news came out. Instead of the older kids including the sons-in-law getting a real job and keeping the job *looking at you Dwerp*, JB expects television, social and news media to support the family. Once the gravy train derails, he is going to be struggling to keep the money coming in.

3 hours ago, sometimesy said:

There is reason to believe that they might be stupid -- and might not manage money well. They are also super-duper lazy.

As BigSkyGirl mentioned, JB spent $250,000 on a failed senate campaign when his family was stuffed into a tiny 3 bedroom house and eating "love offerings." JB bought the McMansion that Jill and Derick lived in two years before they were married, and it just sat there for two years with no improvements, and no attempt at sale.

As you mention, they own a LOT of heavy equipment which they seem to use here and there and now and then. There has been no effort to monetize that by starting some sort of business or renting out the equipment. They were given a giant house -- basically for a few thousand dollars of their own money, tons of TLC money, and "offerings" from local tradesmen and businesses. There is no sign that they have even done any regular maintenance on that house.

There have been tons of projects that were started and abandoned: a garden, a greenhouse, a farm, etc. I just don't think that they have any focus or follow-through in anything that they do.

I think you're 100% right that they COULD have done these things, and they COULD have created a thriving business, but I just don't think that they actually DID do so.

• Love 23

JB & M still have 14 kids at home including Tyler. They have a cavernous echo chamber of a home. Other than TLC, buying and selling/renting property appears to be the only significant income for the Duggars. IMO, they would have to go back to their making-their-own-detergent ways of living very quickly if they were to lose the TLC income.

Their food bill and utility costs alone probably exceed an average yearly salary.

• Love 12

Well, TLC finally said that they have dumped Derick from the show. It took them long enough to say something about his rants. If they didn't remove Jill also from the show, that's very little IMO. If Jill appears on the show, Derick will still be receiving TLC income. They need to consider DDD and Jilly a 'pair' and can both of them. We all know very well, that the whole group of them believe the same things, so give them all the boot. They're just a 'hair' smarter listening to Jim Bob's implicit instructions to NEVER say things like that publicly...they're all the same underneath.

I have to say, that the first thing I thought of when I read this was Jeremy's cheering "YES"...more screen time for ME.

I noted they posted their 'thanks' to our veterans. What crap. We all know that serving in our nation's military IN ANY CAPACITY goes against their own beliefs....yet they enjoy the fruits of the labor of our military...oh, and of all others, too. Jim Bob and Michelle are a pair of lazy, scheming, self-entitled people who have taught their children nothing but to be dependent on THEM for everything. In doing so, they can dictate and control the lives of all of their children at home. This is a family who is so revered by their fans? I'll never understand that.

• Love 12
On 11/7/2017 at 8:39 PM, bigskygirl said:

Instead of going out and getting off their lazy behinds and getting *gasp* a job to support themselves. JB is probably sweating bullets right now because he has so many people to support and because he has lazy sons-in-law and grandchildren to take care of because none of them have the common sense or job skills to actually find a way to support their spouses and children by joining the rank of file of real life people who do not depend on a law suit, reality television shows, social media, news media, or people who are dumb enough to donate money so they can save heathens from the evilness in the world when in fact there was evilness aka Josh lurking in their own home.

True. Tragic too because the best thing that could happen to the lazy sons-in-law is for the TeeVee and LawSuit Money Trees to both irretrievably wither up and die so they'd realize that they need to act like normal people, go after real jobs, and start supporting their families and acting like real adults. 

The money trees are going to keel over one day (one of them may be alive only in their imaginations even now) and they'll have no choice but to do this. And the longer they wait, the harder it's going to be -- both in external practical terms and in internal shift-of-mindset terms. 

• Love 11

I wonder what's coming for the show, though. There aren't any more marriages or known courtships to profile and 'only' one pregnancy (which will generate interest on the "will it be a 9 pound premie?" front). My understanding is that since Counting On became a thing it's been mostly about the weddings, prep for the weddings and baby-having, so if that stops or slows down and they now have four adults on the Do Not Profile list...

All this to say, I hope I'm finally right in my hope that this mess can't last much longer. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 11
4 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I wonder what's coming for the show, though. There aren't any more marriages or known courtships to profile and 'only' one pregnancy (which will generate interest on the "will it be a 9 pound premie?" front?). My understanding is that since Counting On became a thing it's been mostly about the weddings, prep for the weddings and baby-having, so if that stops or slows down and they now have four adults on the Do Not Profile list...

All this to say, I hope I'm finally right in my hope that this mess can't last much longer. 

Swiss Honeymoon, Greek Honeymoon, Joy goes to a supermarket by herself, Kendra goes to a supermarket by herself. Wife cooks dinner for her man, man chokes it down with a smile x2. Etc. The U-Hauling furniture episodes. 

• Love 5