Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, satrunrose said:

I wonder what's coming for the show, though. There aren't any more marriages or known courtships to profile and 'only' one pregnancy (which will generate interest on the "will it be a 9 pound premie?" front). My understanding is that since Counting On became a thing it's been mostly about the weddings, prep for the weddings and baby-having, so if that stops or slows down and they now have four adults on the Do Not Profile list...

All this to say, I hope I'm finally right in my hope that this mess can't last much longer. 

I only want the show to go on indefinitely (even though I don't watch it) because I don't want to see this board go by the wayside! Could there be enough snark fodder just on their Facebook/Twitter and such to keep everyone from losing interest and moving on? I'd miss you guys!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, satrunrose said:

I wonder what's coming for the show, though. There aren't any more marriages or known courtships to profile and 'only' one pregnancy (which will generate interest on the "will it be a 9 pound premie?" front). My understanding is that since Counting On became a thing it's been mostly about the weddings, prep for the weddings and baby-having, so if that stops or slows down and they now have four adults on the Do Not Profile list...

All this to say, I hope I'm finally right in my hope that this mess can't last much longer. 

2018 could be a baby filled year. There will probably be 4 babies born next year.  Joy in March, maybe Kendra and Jessa in June and possibly Jinger before the end of the year. Anna & Jill could, though not likely, also produce new blessings in 2018.

They could also have 5 weddings with Jana, JD, Josiah, Jed and Jer. They could have a VSE with the 2 sets of twins having a quad marriage. 

And then 10 years to marry off the remaining 8 children. ;)

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I only want the show to go on indefinitely (even though I don't watch it) because I don't want to see this board go by the wayside! Could there be enough snark fodder just on their Facebook/Twitter and such to keep everyone from losing interest and moving on? I'd miss you guys!

I've said the same thing on the Sister Wives board.  I would miss the snarking, too!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have thought the exact same thing. I would miss this board “family.”

• Love 9

I would watch a show which follows a married Jana, no matter who she married just to see what her life is like. I also would couple her with Jinger and Jeremy because they aren't the same old 'rise and repeat' as Jessa and Ben, Joy and Austin are. Those two couples offer no varying from their own parents' lives....Jana and Jinger would be a bit more interesting to follow.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

True. Tragic too because the best thing that could happen to the lazy sons-in-law is for the TeeVee and LawSuit Money Trees to both irretrievably wither up and die so they'd realize that they need to act like normal people, go after real jobs, and start supporting their families and acting like real adults. 

The money trees are going to keel over one day (one of them may be alive only in their imaginations even now) and they'll have no choice but to do this. And the longer they wait, the harder it's going to be -- both in external practical terms and in internal shift-of-mindset terms. 

From your lips to God's ears.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

I would watch a show which follows a married Jana, no matter who she married just to see what her life is like. I also would couple her with Jinger and Jeremy because they aren't the same old 'rise and repeat' as Jessa and Ben, Joy and Austin are. Those two couples offer no varying from their own parents' lives....Jana and Jinger would be a bit more interesting to follow.

I don't know that I'd follow a show centered on Jana.  My opinion of her is the same as my opinion of Joseph.  Very, very pleasant but not very exciting.  Plus I do not think, based on what I've seen, that Jana would enjoy being the center of a show.

When it comes to a show centered on 2  daughters, I can see where people would say Jessa and Jinger.  Jessa and Jinger are the only 2 Duggar sisters that seem to have a genuine affection for each other.  I don't know that I've seen the same with Jana and Jinger.

• Love 8

There are shows with forums on PTV that have been off the air for decades, so forums should be safe.  Besides, with social media and such, we can keep these forums hoppin' (and ads viewed) for years!

• Love 10

When the Duggar TV shows are finally cancelled ( and it has to happen eventually) we have nothing to worry about here....they will NEVER truly go away. They will continue their "Original Family Fan Blog" and personal Instagram/websites for a long time to come. There will much to comment on, I'm sure from those things. Some of the members of this family are addicted to the attention and will crave it and therefore seek it out.

• Love 9
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, cmr2014 said:

As BigSkyGirl mentioned, JB spent $250,000 on a failed senate campaign when his family was stuffed into a tiny 3 bedroom house and eating "love offerings

Back in the day, where did Boob get the money ?

It has been said that Mary Duggar gave Jim Bob most of that $250,000 to run for office. The rest of it he scrimped off of his family and saved it. Back then, MIchelle's clothes dryer had broken. She asked him for another one that worked and he told her 'No', that he needed that money for 'seed money'. She had to wait for a replacement dryer when JB said it was ok to get one. WIth more than a couple of children to wash and dry clothes for, that couldn't have been easy for her. He didn't always 'worship her' from what I'm seeing in the past. I felt A LITTLE SORRY for Michelle when I read about that.

• Love 6

Early on, before any Gothard stuff entered their lives, Jim Bob worked in a grocery store stocking shelves. He also worked for his parents' real estate business. Of course, Michelle got her own real estate license and moonlighted there too. There was an alterior motive to this I THINK. It would be a good thing that Michelle have her own real estate license, this way, when JB wanted to purchase properties, Michelle could 'act' as HIS real estate agent and collect the split commission with the actual listing agent....pretty smart, and shifty, isn't it of him?

I doubt that Michelle had any type of actual or real career going. She was a 17 year old 'married girl'. Not much maturity going for her, obviously. The kids started arriving 4 + years after they were married and they CHOSE to start a family. Something they deny their own children today. Where would they have been today without those years together as a couple first?

• Love 10
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Early on, before any Gothard stuff entered their lives, Jim Bob worked in a grocery store stocking shelves. He also worked for his parents' real estate business. Of course, Michelle got her own real estate license and moonlighted there too. There was an alterior motive to this I THINK. It would be a good thing that Michelle have her own real estate license, this way, when JB wanted to purchase properties, Michelle could 'act' as HIS real estate agent and collect the split commission with the actual listing agent....pretty smart, and shifty, isn't it of him?

I doubt that Michelle had any type of actual or real career going. She was a 17 year old 'married girl'. Not much maturity going for her, obviously. The kids started arriving 4 + years after they were married and they CHOSE to start a family. Something they deny their own children today. Where would they have been today without those years together as a couple first?

And how many frigging kids would they have ended up with, had she gotten PG right away and kept it up?  24-25?  Gawd.  Perish the thought.

They (Ma & Pa) have denied a LOT to their kids that they had.  Don't most parents want their kids to be BETTER OFF than they themselves were?

"A little bit different."  Shit.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Don't most parents want their kids to be BETTER OFF than they themselves were?

Yes, but that emphatically does not include certain warped narcissistic mean ego-obsessed people. This is another one of those things that I can testify to personally.

In my house, tales of great fun things a parent got to do as a child, teen, young adult were told with great relish (and while stating that the things were great -- not even that they'd now become enlightened and realized that God forbids them or anything) for the sole purpose of enjoying the distress, disappointment, frustration, fury, etc., of the kids who were then forbidden and barred by all possible means from doing said things.

We were sometimes even taken out to observe other children doing fun things, made to sit and watch it, and then, again, prevented by all possible means from doing those things ourselves. 

Now, I doubt that the Duggars exactly go that far in that particular way, and of course they do have the Gothard God forbids! thing going on to help them squelch stuff. But I think it's 100 percent clear that they enjoy their own memories of roller skating parties and making out while also enjoying squelching 19 kids' opportunities to do any such thing.

And I think it's also 100 percent clear that they have been absolutely determined to keep those kids from accomplishing anything more than Jim Bob has accomplished -- because his ego demands that.

I think this keep-em-from-accomplishing thing is a little more common than the no-fun people, actually. This wasn't true in my family, though, mainly, I think, because souls/egos/self-esteem in my family were so thoroughly crushed and twisted that it was clear we'd never think we ever had accomplished anything superior, even when we had. So that was a win. Because that way you raise people who can support themselves -- and even you -- but you never have to acknowledge that they've done anything worthwhile in that, because they're so squashed they won't think that they have. JB and M may end up sorry that they didn't do this part the way my family did, because they're going to miss out on the benefits of having children who are both hypnotized robots (which includes even the relatively rebellious, in fact)  and able to give you money and nice things. 

Thank goodness that JB and M are not representative of the vast majority of people. But they are members of a type. And that type does all this stuff that seems unthinkable to others. If I'd had a movie camera as a child, I'd be in possession of a documentary that might open some eyes about the Duggars and other control-freak parents. (and why it drives me insane that they're on TeeVee and their sick psychologies and behavior whitewashed as wholesome entertainment)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 19
4 hours ago, Chai said:

TLC drops Jill Duggar and Derrick Dillard after he makes  comments about transgender teen I am Jazz.

http://us.blastingnews.com//showbiz-tv/2017/11/tlc-counting-on-drops-jill-duggar-derick-dillard-for-shaming-transgender-teen-002161707.html

That seems like it was written based on reading Twitter, US magazine, and these boards. Jana, Jill and Jessa are worth a million each? Says who? They’re going to win money from their lawsuit? From Bob and Bill, the records clerks who are the only remaining defendants? This story doesn’t even know that the case against In Touch has been dismissed. ???

• Love 4
21 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

That seems like it was written based on reading Twitter, US magazine, and these boards. Jana, Jill and Jessa are worth a million each? Says who? They’re going to win money from their lawsuit? From Bob and Bill, the records clerks who are the only remaining defendants? This story doesn’t even know that the case against In Touch has been dismissed. ???

I just looked up "Blasting News." Appears they may pay $3 an article, and then if you get a certain amount of traffic you get a little more based on that. For $3, I expect the "reporter" didn't even look back at the Twitter and Us pieces she/he had read previously. Let alone look up anything new. lol

Thus the interesting mythology that the older Duggarling women are worth a million bucks apiece. ... Wonder how far down the line that individual net worth figure is supposed to go? Because -- wow. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

If they have re-filed, I can’t find anything in the news about it. The most recent stories are about the judge dismissing the suit against in touch, and the two remaining defendants seeking to limit their liability as they were working as employees of the state. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

According to the Duggar family blog, JB, Michelle and 14 of their children are going to Australia in January to speak at a Gothard conference. 

I wonder who is picking up the tab for travel/lodging/food?  I have a feeling Jim Boob isn't.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

According to the Duggar family blog, JB, Michelle and 14 of their children are going to Australia in January to speak at a Gothard conference. 

Wow, what a staggering expense.  And all for what?  

• Love 7

I guess I'm in the wrong (right) circles. I live in Australia, and this is the first I'm hearing of a Gothard conference. For years there used to be a family who would play violin in one of our main shopping strips, long skirts, long sleeved blouses even in hot weather. Mother used to glare at everyone who walked by. I always thought they were Amish, but now I'm wondering if they wore Gothard types.

• Love 8

Working employees of the state should not be personally held accountable for simply doing their jobs. I hope these employees don't lose their livelihood OR their pensions. This family is cruel to seek anything from rank and file people doing their jobs. Shame on the Duggars for doing this, if that's what they're doing.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, ariel said:
6 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I wonder who is picking up the tab for travel/lodging/food?  I have a feeling Jim Boob isn't.

"JB, Michelle and 14 of their children" makes it sound as if just the younger children and the unmarried adult children still living at home are going. TLC wouldn't be picking up the tab unless the married couples from "Counting On"  are going because there would be nothing to film. And the Gothard organization wouldn't be picking up the tab unless the Duggars were a hugely popular draw in Australia, which doesn't sound likely. It sounds like a weird decision.

• Love 5

I actually counted the unmarried still at home and J'Tyler. They add up to 14.

Someone re-posted that pathetic interview with Jana a few years ago asking her where she saw her life in 5 years. I watched it again. Her deep breath during that interview was telling. She was quite stressed and didn't want to answer ANY of those questions. That grown woman sounded like her mind was an absolute BLANK...no thoughts of her own pertaining to her own self. To me, it sounded like she was still being viewed as almost a 'non person' under her father's authority ....completely...She said she wasn't a little kid, nor was she a married person "WITH LITTLE ONES'. She obviously associates marriage with babies immediately to give her an identity and any kind of respect for being her own person. It was very sad to watch.

Her parents should be totally ashamed of themselves for robbing Jana of her childhood, adolescence, education, and ANY ADULT opportunities that should have been available to her in life. She is the eldest of the daughters and I'm sure has had a harder time of it as her parents were full "Gothard" when she was born and I'm sure practiced all those atrocities fully and completely. Jana was NOT born to serve Michelle, contrary to what Michelle 'believes'.

• Love 19
8 hours ago, ariel said:

Maybe Gothardland figure their negative publicity wanes at the U.S. border and they'll be more of a draw elsewhere. I doubt that's the case, but I would bet the Gothard empire is feeling a little desperate to find more suckers. The U.S. supply may be finally drying up.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Did the Duggar's purchase a jet?

Is any of their "fleet" of aircrafts safe enough to fly to Australia?  I thought Duggar Aviation was basically cheap crop duster type planes.

• Love 3

A jet with the range to get to Australia is millions of dollars, and a whole other set of licenses.  While JD would probably like to fly a jet (I would!), that's a lot of training too.  The Duggar Fleet (that I have seen) contains single-engine turbo-props.  They could upgrade to twin-engine (or I dunno, a surplus B-52? kidding, I jest (but I would fly that too).  Nope, you need expensive aircraft, a double flight crew as crossing the Pacific to Oz is at least fifteen hours, which is at least two crew shifts)  What is it, 15? round trip tickes to Oz commercially would be much cheaper.  

Wow.  They are being thrifty.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Marigold said:

What a bizarre trip.

Very expensive and does anyone give a shit about them in Australia? 

I feel sorry for whoever gets stuck next to them on the plane! Between Howlers and Josie, Jana definitely coming along to be the wrangler.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder if they're also doing the SOS missioncation this year as well? What with Derelict seemingly getting the boot and all...

That will be really interesting to see! Is it usually in December?

• Love 2