Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I'll admit now that as a child -- a damn child, ferchristsakes -- I wanted George to choke the ever-loving shit out of the sniveling old asshole who lost everyone's money, but the jerk got off totally unfazed. It ruined the movie for me so I didn't get warm fuzzies from it and I've never been able to watch it again my entire life. Even thinking about it raises my blood pressure.

Whew. Confession really is a damn good thing. Thank y'all.

Yes, the fact that Mr. Potter stole the deposit money but got away without anyone even knowing was a major turnoff for me as well.  The first time I saw this movie, it was on the late show on a Saturday night in the summertime.  Only a few of the scenes revolve around Christmas, so I don't understand why it has become such a holiday favorite.  My BIL loves this movie so I see bits and pieces of it every year, but to me it wasn't that good the first time around, and it gets more boring every year.

1 hour ago, MonicaM said:

Yes, the fact that Mr. Potter stole the deposit money but got away without anyone even knowing was a major turnoff for me as well.  The first time I saw this movie, it was on the late show on a Saturday night in the summertime.  Only a few of the scenes revolve around Christmas, so I don't understand why it has become such a holiday favorite.  My BIL loves this movie so I see bits and pieces of it every year, but to me it wasn't that good the first time around, and it gets more boring every year.

Oh, it wasn't Potter who pissed me off. It was the weak-minded old fool (some uncle?) who let him steal it. The details slip my mind because I haven't seen the movie since then but not only did he let it happen but he was totally useless in tracking how it happened. I know he was supposed to be some lovable town character but my simple little child's mind couldn't handle it.

• Love 1

Well if you're going to give the bank deposit to a drunken, doddering old man, you deserve what ever happens.  My Mom used to watch it every year, due to her Jimmy Stewart love; it's one of those movies that I don't go out of my way to see but don't actively hate.  I kind of like Clarence the Anger.  I felt bad for George not being able to travel like he wanted but the message of appreciating the people around you who love you isn't a bad one.  I kind of figure after the kids are grown, George and Mary will go on an around the world tour.  I do laugh, however, that Mary's fate-worse-than-death in Potterville is to be an unmarried librarian with glasses.  The horrors!!!!

Put me in the "likes a Christmas Story" camp and I was already an adult when it was made.  I think the 24 hour marathon is ridiculous though and what turns a lot of people off.  No matter how much you like something, eventually it gets old.  And if you didn't like it to begin with, it'll drive you nuts.  

I think the only Christmas movie I really really hate is the Grinch with Jim Carrey.  The original cartoon is my favorite thing ever and I consider the Carrey version an abomination.  

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

I do laugh, however, that Mary's fate-worse-than-death in Potterville is to be an unmarried librarian with glasses.  The horrors!!!!

Of the many things I hate about the film, that might be at the top of my list.  I'm supposed to be so horrified by this alternate life of hers, but she's living in an interesting city, supporting herself with a stimulating job.  But, but, no husband?!  Poor dear!

• Love 16
15 hours ago, Haleth said:

I don't dislike the movie because I also have fond memories of listening to Jean Shepard on the radio every night.  Every year he would retell the stories that made up the movie and every year they were hilarious.  (The 4th of July story is also really funny.)

Oh, I like the movie too.  It's just frustrating to talk to people who really, really, really LOVE the movie  and yet have zero interest in reading/listening to other things by Shepherd.  I don't get it - wouldn't you assume that if you LOVE ACS you might love other things by the same author?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MonicaM said:

For a long time there was no copyright so networks, knowing ratings are always down during the holidays, took advantage and aired free programming. There’s a copyright now, which is why it airs once on one network rather than the multi network marathons that used to happen. 

I agree it’s not a Christmas movie but, at this point, it’s tradition. 

• Love 3

ACS is a favorite of mine because 1) I watched them film it.  The nighttime outdoor scene is Public Square in Cleveland, the window that everyone gathers around is the former Higbee (and yes, they did a big Christmas display every year), and when they visit Santa that's the interior of the store.  Funny story:  they had to ship in snow for that outdoor scene.  Because the one time Cleveland needed snow, it wasn't available.

And 2) my best friend lived 2 doors from the house.  Though at the time, it was just your average turn-of-the-century frame.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, roamyn said:

ACS is a favorite of mine because 1) I watched them film it.  The nighttime outdoor scene is Public Square in Cleveland, the window that everyone gathers around is the former Higbee (and yes, they did a big Christmas display every year), and when they visit Santa that's the interior of the store.  Funny story:  they had to ship in snow for that outdoor scene.  Because the one time Cleveland needed snow, it wasn't available.

And 2) my best friend lived 2 doors from the house.  Though at the time, it was just your average turn-of-the-century frame.

I'm from Cleveland, too, and went to see it in a theater because it was done in my hometown.  Higbee's windows were legendary, and we went downtown every year to see them when I was a kid.  The house used for the exteriors is now open as a tourist destination on Cleveland's near west side and very popular all year long.  The interior is different from the movie, but it is furnished from that period.  Across the street is a Christmas Story Museum with stuff like Randy's snowsuit, a piece of the chalkboard from the classroom, etc, as well as a lot of video interviews with the cast.  The woman who played the female elf in the Santa scene is a local actress and, as of a couple years ago anyway, was still making regular appearances and talking about filming the movie.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, AuntieL said:

Put me in the "likes a Christmas Story" camp and I was already an adult when it was made.  I think the 24 hour marathon is ridiculous though and what turns a lot of people off.  No matter how much you like something, eventually it gets old.  And if you didn't like it to begin with, it'll drive you nuts.  

I think the only Christmas movie I really really hate is the Grinch with Jim Carrey.  The original cartoon is my favorite thing ever and I consider the Carrey version an abomination.  

I love "A Christmas Story," and my nephew and I will watch it throughout the day on Christmas -- not one viewing after another, but at this point, we know it so well that we can tune in any time and follow the story. I have no issue with the 24-hour marathon. It's one channel out of the hundreds that people have. It's not like someone is forcing them to watch it.

Any of the live action Dr. Suess movies are abominations.

• Love 13

One of my favorite homages to A Christmas Story is from an episode of Dark Matter. Five, the youngest member of the crew, is enthusing over  a tech gadget she wants to buy when they reach a space station. Three responds "You'll cut your hand off, kid."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

I can't stand the live action Grinch.  Saw it in the movie theater.  It gave me the worst headache I've ever had.  Don't know how much was the movie and how much was the theater but I've never watched it again.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I love "A Christmas Story," and my nephew and I will watch it throughout the day on Christmas -- not one viewing after another, but at this point, we know it so well that we can tune in any time and follow the story. I have no issue with the 24-hour marathon. It's one channel out of the hundreds that people have. It's not like someone is forcing them to watch it.

We always have it on in the background and we always remark about how we never actually sit and watch the whole thing beginning to end.  It's more of a tradition just to have it on.  When the leaf is in my parent's dining room table, if you're sitting in the right spot, you can kinda, sorta see the TV in the den.  One year during dinner my cousin was the one in view of the TV and she would give clues as to what scene was on and I would have to guess.  

• Love 3
22 hours ago, AuntieL said:

My Mom used to watch it every year, due to her Jimmy Stewart love; it's one of those movies that I don't go out of my way to see but don't actively hate. 

I'm not sure I've ever actually watched the whole thing.  It always leads to stories about that time my mom lived in the same building as Jimmy Stewart.  That leads to lots of tales of family history that is way more interesting than the movie. 

I swear, two generations back and before that my family led really interesting lives. 

I can't figure out how we became so boring so quickly.

And no, I'm not telling you what really happened when aliens crashed in Roswell.  It ruins the X Files :)P  Katims and Moore ruined Roswell.

• Love 2

Does fucking Pentatonix have blackmail info on tv execs?  Because I'm sick of seeing and hearing them during the Christmas season.   They are not good and I've certainly heard better a cappella groups.   

• Love 8

Also, Nota was the first season winner of the Sing-Off and I wish we'd see more of them.  I bought their CD and loved every song on it.  I can't think of names right now, but if I checked the list of Sing-Off contestants, I'm pretty sure I'd come up with at least ten groups who sounded better than Pentatonix and I can't understand why we haven't heard from anyone other than them.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2017 at 11:17 PM, Bastet said:

Of the many things I hate about the film, that might be at the top of my list.  I'm supposed to be so horrified by this alternate life of hers, but she's living in an interesting city, supporting herself with a stimulating job.  But, but, no husband?!  Poor dear!

The way Clarence says "You're not gonna like it George!" and then George is all "just tell me!" and Clarence says "She's just about to close up the library!!!" as if she became a drug-addled prostitute - it makes me LOL for real. Oh and also somehow Mary needs glasses in this alternate timeline?

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

The way Clarence says "You're not gonna like it George!" and then George is all "just tell me!" and Clarence says "She's just about to close up the library!!!" as if she became a drug-addled prostitute - it makes me LOL for real. Oh and also somehow Mary needs glasses in this alternate timeline?

Here's a question: How the hell do we know Mary is unhappy??? She's healthy, she's employed, what's the problem?! Sure, her eyesight ain't that good, and she's working at the library (I can tell you from experience working at the library sucks), but that doesn't equal miserable! Heck, she probably looks unhappy because she had to work on Christmas Eve!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ChromaKelly said:

If that had happened, I'd be more inclined to watch the film.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Here's a question: How the hell do we know Mary is unhappy??? She's healthy, she's employed, what's the problem?! Sure, her eyesight ain't that good, and she's working at the library (I can tell you from experience working at the library sucks), but that doesn't equal miserable! Heck, she probably looks unhappy because she had to work on Christmas Eve!

Actually, that one wound up a surprise to me because the way her mother was pushing her to marry that rich cad, I thought she'd have wound up being an abused wife who had no one to save her (and her mother being oblivious as long as SHE was provided for). To be honest, it would have been a more interesting if the unmarried librarian deal had been the fate of the flirty Violet Bick! Oh well,  I guess it's not without its entertainment value to be still considered a classic.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, ganesh said:

There needs to be a dark and gritty reboot of It's a Wonderful Life. 

NO!!!!!! Don't say that, some Hollywood exec might see that, and it just might happen!! If I have to see one more "dark and gritty" reboot of anything, I'm going to punch the next thing in my field of vision!!!!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

3 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

You silly, silly people. Mary is obviously an unmarried woman who supports herself. Of course she's not happy, she should be a normal married woman who takes care of her home, husband, & many children, not some....some.....single girl who leaves the house to earn money, how can she possibly be fulfilled?  And we know this because she does not take care of her appearance, after all, "men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses". /s

• Love 20

I have vented about this UO before, but makes me crazy when I read it.

I don't consider it cheating if you're not married, or living together.  I view marriage as a relationship where if something goes wrong, you work it out, you don't cheat on your partner.  If you're unmarried, or not living together, then you're single IMO.  

When I was a teen, no one said "you're cheating on your girlfriend/boyfriend."  Fiancee or spouse yes, but anything else you were single.  

I know that's a highly unpopular one, and maybe it changed because of STD's, that people were having sex with multiple people and putting their girlfriends/boyfriends at risk.

But to me, cheating is for married or living together, sorry, just my two cents.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't consider it cheating if you're not married, or living together.  I view marriage as a relationship where if something goes wrong, you work it out, you don't cheat on your partner.  If you're unmarried, or not living together, then you're single IMO.  

When I was a teen, no one said "you're cheating on your girlfriend/boyfriend."  Fiancee or spouse yes, but anything else you were single.  

I know that's a highly unpopular one, and maybe it changed because of STD's, that people were having sex with multiple people and putting their girlfriends/boyfriends at risk.

But to me, cheating is for married or living together, sorry, just my two cents.

What is your term for a situation in which two unmarried people agree not to have sex with other people and then one of those people has sex with a third person?  Do you just not personally have a name for that?

• Love 18
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

What is your term for a situation in which two unmarried people agree not to have sex with other people and then one of those people has sex with a third person?  Do you just not personally have a name for that?

Right, this is my thought exactly.

I mean there's a period between we are dating different people and um, I'm really starting to be into only you so I'd like be exclusive and therefore, take this the next step which is a monogamous relationship. However, as we try to begin an exclusive, monogamous relationship we're not going to move in together right away. Then you start talking about moving in together if things continue to progress well. Or you can start talking about skipping right marriage if you're not about that, meaning, you need that ring and piece of paper before you officially share an address. But once you have a convo. about look I'm starting to be serious about you, and I'm not trying to date anyone else, then... you have to at least try to practice being monogamous even if you're not exactly yet officially sharing the same address. 

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

There needs to be a dark and gritty reboot of It's a Wonderful Life. 

Not so much dark and gritty but wasn't it Married with Children that did a parody where everyone's life was actually better because Al was never born?  I could get down with a version like that.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Miss Dee said:

To me, cheating is simple. If you agree to do/not do something while involved with someone(s) and you break it: you cheated.

You're in an open polyamorous relationship with a man and woman and you've all agreed to get the others' permission before sleeping with an outside partner? You do exactly that: you didn't cheat. You sleep with someone and didn't get permission from both: you cheated.

Husband and wife agree he can sleep around when he's on a business trip but otherwise it's off limits? He sleeps around on a business trip: not cheating. He deliberately fakes a business trip to go sleep around: cheating.

So if you're seeing someone and it's new and you haven't agreed to be exclusive: probably not cheating to date or kiss or fuck someone else. Once you agree to be exclusive? Cheating.

Moral of the story: be honest and forthright about what you're expecting, and if someone doesn't respect the agreement you made cut them loose, because they don't respect you.

Yep, all of this works for me.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

Not so much dark and gritty but wasn't it Married with Children that did a parody where everyone's life was actually better because Al was never born?

With the late great Sam Kinison as the "angel."

• Love 7
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

I find Married With Children crass & juvenile.  I've tried watching several times .. But no.

Same w/Seinfeld.  I don't care for Jerry"s humor.

Seinfeld, I can take it or leave it.

But, Married with Children. Ugh.  It's just so low and detestably disgusting.  

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Seinfeld, I can take it or leave it.

But, Married with Children. Ugh.  It's just so low and detestably disgusting.  

Married... with Children had its amusing moments, but I'm more glad than disappointed that it couldn't be made today.

• Love 5

I always found "Married .. . with Children" to be downright meanspirited and unfunny. However; I though that Ed O'Neil, Katey Sagal and Christina Applegate were all likable performers and was glad that all three of them have had steady work playing more likable folks since that show ended. Sad irony is that I originally liked "Modern Family" but the last few seasons have become entirely meanspirited and unfunny to the point that I can no longer can watch it (though before I had to bail out entirely, I found Mr. O'Neil's character the ONLY vaguely likable person left on the show).

As for "Seinfeld", although sometimes cruder than it needed to be, I thought it funny at the time but can't say it's something I'd go out of my way to see again.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Married... with Children had its amusing moments, but I'm more glad than disappointed that it couldn't be made today.

Every show has its time and place.  I think at the time I thought the show was hilarious but now that I am older I find it mean spirited but then I also find Seinfeld mean spirited and Modern Family just plain stupid and trite..  So you can’t really take my opinion as anything.

To this day I still find Roseanne the most honest depiction of an American family.  Even towards the end when even that hot mean spirited it was honest about what family meant.  To this day nothing has ever come close.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

I loved at least the early seasons of Married ... With Children during its original run because it was something of an antidote to the cloying saccharine mess that most family sitcoms were at the time.  Think of anything from the TGIF lineup like Full House where if the kids ever did anything real or out of line it was a very special episode complete with schmaltzy music, hugging it out, and a lesson learned by the 22-minute mark.  Does the show hold up well at all now that the world has since moved on?  Mostly no.  It's mean spirited, the sexism is downright painful and unfunny, and the later seasons were practically a live action cartoon as the show dragged on well beyond its expiration point.  But its early season Christmas episode "You Better Watch Out" that was entirely about the aftermath of Santa jumping out of a plane for a nearby mall promotion and his chute failing to open, splattering him in the Bundys' yard, remains one of my favorite Christmas episodes of any show ever.

• Love 12
22 hours ago, Neurochick said:

If two people are in an exclusive relationship, even if they're not married, engaged or living together, and one goes out with and/or sleeps with someone else, it's cheating.  If they're not in an exclusive relationship, then it's not cheating.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

If two people are in an exclusive relationship, even if they're not married, engaged or living together, and one goes out with and/or sleeps with someone else, it's cheating.  If they're not in an exclusive relationship, then it's not cheating.

Or, did you just break up with the other person and didn't tell them?

• Love 2
16 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

But its early season Christmas episode "You Better Watch Out" that was entirely about the aftermath of Santa jumping out of a plane for a nearby mall promotion and his chute failing to open, splattering him in the Bundys' yard, remains one of my favorite Christmas episodes of any show ever.

As God is my witness, I thought Santas could fly.

Wrong show?  Wrong holiday?

• Love 13
22 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I loved at least the early seasons of Married ... With Children during its original run because it was something of an antidote to the cloying saccharine mess that most family sitcoms were at the time.  Think of anything from the TGIF lineup like Full House where if the kids ever did anything real or out of line it was a very special episode complete with schmaltzy music, hugging it out, and a lesson learned by the 22-minute mark.  Does the show hold up well at all now that the world has since moved on?  Mostly no.  It's mean spirited, the sexism is downright painful and unfunny, and the later seasons were practically a live action cartoon as the show dragged on well beyond its expiration point.  But its early season Christmas episode "You Better Watch Out" that was entirely about the aftermath of Santa jumping out of a plane for a nearby mall promotion and his chute failing to open, splattering him in the Bundys' yard, remains one of my favorite Christmas episodes of any show ever.

The early episodes are a trip. Peggy actually did house work. Kelly was not as stupid as she became. Al and Peggy seemed to have a better relationship.

I watch that Christmas episode every December.

• Love 3
On November 30, 2017 at 9:32 PM, Miss Dee said:

So if you're seeing someone and it's new and you haven't agreed to be exclusive: probably not cheating to date or kiss or fuck someone else. Once you agree to be exclusive? Cheating.

Moral of the story: be honest and forthright about what you're expecting, and if someone doesn't respect the agreement you made cut them loose, because they don't respect you.

I agree about being honest.  It's not cheating if there is no expectation of exclusivity.  

• Love 3

So, here's the thing about cheating.  Unless you're married, there's no legal definition or repercussions.  So, once the facts have been established (as in who did what with whom and when) if other party in relationship declares that you cheated, well then, as far as that person's concerned you cheated and that person acts on that and that is that.  As far as you're concerned, you didn't and that is that.  You're both right as far as your own definition goes.

• Love 2
On 11/30/2017 at 4:37 PM, Neurochick said:

I can appreciate this. And nowadays, somehow simply texting a member of the opposite sex can meaning cheating to some. Typing!

• Love 1