Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

No egg or tomato’s.  Bust a different opinion.  I like action movies and tv shows so I find the actiony nature of military themed shows fun.  Plus it is at least a change from the never ending superhero shows and supernatural shows that have popped up as of late.

There are some trends that come and go. Although the increase in cable channels and streaming services means that we are more likely to get an increase in content in our favorite genres even if many of those genres will stay rare on the mainstream broadcast networks. There is only one genre that has always been around and never seems to go away: crime solving. Cops solving crimes, lawyers solving crimes, CSI techs solving crimes, cops solving crimes with civilian partners who are experts in a specific field that helps them solve crimes. And more recently cops solving crimes with supernatural partners whose supernatural abilities help them solve crimes. I actually watch some shows in that last category (Lucifer and iZombie) but the crime of the week is usually my least favorite part.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Jaded said:

I have an unpopular opinion that will probably get eggs and tomatoes thrown my way. I'm already tired of the rash of military themed shows that seem to have cropped up this season.

16 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

No egg or tomato’s.  Bust a different opinion.  I like action movies and tv shows so I find the actiony nature of military themed shows fun.  Plus it is at least a change from the never ending superhero shows and supernatural shows that have popped up as of late.

It is like the entertainment news shows, they all do the same stories at the same time of their competing broadcast. Only the host are different. I might have finally gotten a genre that I wanted to see, but I didn't need them all at the same time with most going to inevitable failure. And then because of those failures the genre disappears for a few years. I would have rather  had SEAL Team emerge a year or two after The Unit ran its course, Valor when The Last Ship was done etc,

• Love 1

On "Feud," I thought Susan Sarandon did a much better job at evoking Bette Davis than Jessica Lange did as Joan Crawford. I was too distracted by Jessica's once-beautiful face now nearly immobile due to plastic surgery, Botox, and whatever else.

• Love 5
On 10/27/2017 at 5:03 PM, bilgistic said:

I will watch the second season of Stranger Things, just as I did the first, but I'm already tired of hearing about it, and the second season just came out today.

I knew it was officially Too Much when people started getting Stranger Things tattoos. I'm all for tattoos and have several, and while I shouldn't be judgy of what people get as tattoos, I can't help but go, really? How are people who got ALF tattoos feeling about their decision right now?

Quoting myself because Y'ALL...this came up in my Instagram feed today. I follow several tattoo accounts. This is a NEW tattoo. I'm BAFFLED.

blackworkers_tattoo-1509307154041.thumb.jpg.9baf215c850ef700358b6ff023c5b257.jpg

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Quoting myself because Y'ALL...this came up in my Instagram feed today. I follow several tattoo accounts. This is a NEW tattoo. I'm BAFFLED.

blackworkers_tattoo-1509307154041.thumb.jpg.9baf215c850ef700358b6ff023c5b257.jpg

Heh, when you made your first comment, my initial reaction was...did people really get ALF tattoos?  BWAHAHAHAHA!! ;)

• Love 3
  • I don't care that it's dated.
  • I don't care that it's simplistic.
  • I don't care that there are no women.
  • I love this show for the opening and closing credits, and because it has THE BEST MUSIC FOR A SHOW EVAH!

Plus, the creator eventually gave me my favorite night time soap, Dallas.

I find Jack Lord's Steve McGarret to be verra sexy and I don't want to know if he was an asshole in real life. Let me keep some of my fantasies, okay?

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Ohwell said:

My kid brother couldn't wait to see the brief glimpse of the hula dancers every week.  

?????

I’m watching it now since it’s airing on MeTV and though I cringe at some of the bad acting by some of the guest stars, some now famous actors also appeared-like a very young Martin Sheen (as a bad guy!) and Tom Skerritt, Ed Flanders, and Loretta Switt, who I didn’t even recognize!

I love how by-the-book Steve is even when trying to clear Chin Ho when the latter was set up as a crooked cop. He didn’t T!I!P! or circumvent the law to prove Ho’s innocence.

And I won’t lie-I jiggle to the opening AND closing credits! Every.Time. I don’t fast forward!??

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't care that there are no women.

My unpopular TV opinion is that I don't care if a show has an all-male cast, or an all-female cast, or an all-white cast, or an all-black cast.  Just do what works for the show and don't worry about being PC.  I'm more interested in a well-told story.

• Love 21
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I love this show for the opening and closing credits, and because it has THE BEST MUSIC FOR A SHOW EVAH!

Amazing theme for sure.  Oh my beloved surf music, if I should ever forsake thee..........

I'd add that another huge plus was that it actually shot IN HAWAII unlike, for instance Hawaiian Eye.  Beautiful scenery.  Especially for all those early adopters of color TV (not my house of course, but still).

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I'd add that another huge plus was that it actually shot IN HAWAII unlike, for instance Hawaiian Eye.  Beautiful scenery.  Especially for all those early adopters of color TV (not my house of course, but still).

Yes! I had a big giant ass grin on my face when I saw “Filmed Entirely on location in Hawaii.”

????

• Love 2
On 10/27/2017 at 9:06 AM, Misslindsey said:

I don't like "Stranger Things". I really thought I would, because it sounded like something I would really like, but I did not. I did make it all the way through the first season. It felt like work for me to continue to watch it and I just could not get into it. Also, while I think the kid actors were good, I did not think they were that good and that goes for the highly regarded Millie Bobby Brown. All the kids do seem lovely in real life though.

I forced myself to finish season one, and it left me with a "That's it? That's what all the hype was about?" feeling. Everyone's now raving about season 2, and I'd rather watch Mom reruns than Stranger Things. 

• Love 2
On October 28, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Jaded said:

I have an unpopular opinion that will probably get eggs and tomatoes thrown my way. I'm already tired of the rash of military themed shows that seem to have cropped up this season.

Same here. Ditto with the superhero shows - although I was looking forward to The Punisher. 

22 hours ago, Katy M said:

My unpopular TV opinion is that I don't care if a show has an all-male cast, or an all-female cast, or an all-white cast, or an all-black cast.  Just do what works for the show and don't worry about being PC.  I'm more interested in a well-told story.

For the most part I agree with you but I tend to have very few male actors I even can even name and all male shows bore me because..,well I find them boring.  As much as Supernatural should appeal to me the pure testosterone of the show turns me off.  The reverse of Orange Is The New Black.  I stuck with that show far longer then I found pleasant because it was female heavy even though it got way too political for me.   

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

For the most part I agree with you but I tend to have very few male actors I even can even name and all male shows bore me because..,well I find them boring.  As much as Supernatural should appeal to me the pure testosterone of the show turns me off.  The reverse of Orange Is The New Black.  I stuck with that show far longer then I found pleasant because it was female heavy even though it got way too political for me.   

I can respect that, because it sounds more like a personal preference on your part than a big PC push.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I thought the 1980's had the best cartoons.  I think that's a popular opinion though.

If we can add the '70s, I'll agree that those two decades had the best.  Scooby-Doo, the Smurfs, , Care Bears, Fat Albert, Justice League--Wonder Twins, activate.  

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Lili said:

I prefer children's cartoons over adult cartoons. These "adult cartoons" are often too mean-spirited for my taste.

Bob's Burgers is fantastic. It's sarcastically funny and so clever with a good heart. It's not dark or mean-spirited at all. I can't tolerate South Park or Family Guy. I also love King of the Hill, which has the same kind of vibe as Bob's Burgers. People like what they like, of course, and I grew up loving the The Flintstones and The Jetsons, but BB and KotH are contemporary examples of great shows.

• Love 7

I finally watched the first season of Stranger Things and after hearing so much Barb and how everyone just loved Barb, I expected her to be this totally awesome character.  She was in, what,  one and half episodes?  What the hell?  If I hadn't heard all the hype she would have barely registered on my radar.  She was one step above a red shirt. I don't care about Barb.  I was more fascinated with head-wanking Lucas and Dustin's  parents & home life.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

I thought the 1980's had the best cartoons.  I think that's a popular opinion though.

I like cartoons from pretty much any decade, from the 1940's to the 2010's. It would be hard for me to choose my favorite decade of cartoons.

• Love 2

I'm partial to some of my favorite 80's cartoons like She-Ra, Care Bears, Jem, Rainbow Brite, My Little Ponies, Pound Puppies and the like. It seemed like the 80's had more cartoons that were aimed primary at females with strong female leads then the 90's. One cartoon I stuck with even when I was older was Garfield on Saturday mornings because I loved his sarcastic cat wit. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 9

For me it's the ‘70s. They gave me Bugs Bunny shorts, not including The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, Tom & Jerry, The Brady Kids, The Beatles, Jackson Five, and until Bruce Timm and Eric Radomski came along in 1990, to give me the Batman I LOVED, there was Super Friends! Hanna Barbera, Scooby Doo, (but hated Scrappy!), Droopy

No. 2 is definitely the ‘90s with Spider-Man (1994), The X-Men, Gargoyles and B:TAS, S:TAS, with a tie in 2001 with Justice League/Justice League Unlimited

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
On 10/31/2017 at 10:13 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:
  •  

I find Jack Lord's Steve McGarret to be verra sexy and I don't want to know if he was an asshole in real life. Let me keep some of my fantasies, okay?

Accounts I've heard were that he was a decent guy and a lot of McGarrett's 'even dirty hippies, prostitutes, and queers deserve equal protection under the law' viewpoint, which was quite liberal for a cop of that era,  expressed Lord's real values.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

For me it's the ‘70s. They gave me Bugs Bunny shorts, not including The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show, Tom & Jerry, The Brady Kids, The Beatles, Jackson Five, and until Bruce Timm and Eric Radomski came along in 1990, to give me the Batman I LOVED, there was Super Friends! Hanna Barbera, Scooby Doo, (but hated Scrappy!), Droopy

No. 2 is definitely the ‘90s with Spider-Man (1994), The X-Men, Gargoyles and B:TAS, S:TAS, with a tie in 2001 with Justice League/Justice League Unlimited

The Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry shorts predate the 1970's. Their shorts were during the 40's-60's, and started airing on television in the 50's. At least the Looney Tunes shorts did. For Tom & Jerry, it was a little later. But really, those shorts were ahead of their time, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone thought they came out in the 70's.

Edited by Lili
1 minute ago, Lili said:

The Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry shorts predate the 1970's. Their shorts were during the 40's-60's, and started airing on television in the 50's. At least the Looney Tunes shorts did. For Tom & Jerry, it was a little later. But really, those shorts were ahead of their time, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone thought they came out in the 70's.

Okay, fiiiine. the shorts were from a couple decades ago! Let me throw in the '40s and '50s as well! And also add The Flintstones, Woody Woodpecker, Mighty Mouse...

• Love 2

Everyone's Golden Age of Cartoons is going to be the decade when they were a kid and first watched them.  For me the greatest cartoons of all time are the various Jay Ward productions - Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Do-Right, Fractured Fairy Tales, Mr Peabody and Sherman - all of which I saw in the 60's around the time they were first produced.  But the much older Warner Brothers, MGM and Walter Lantz cartoons I saw and loved at the same time all seemed equally contemporary to me at the time - as they would to any child.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 15
On 11/5/2017 at 8:51 PM, Jaded said:

One cartoon I stuck with even when I was older was Garfield on Saturday mornings because I loved his sarcastic cat wit. 

I loved the Garfield cartoons.  It's ironic that a few years later I moved 800 miles and ended up not far from Jim Davis's house and studio.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I loved the Garfield cartoons.  It's ironic that a few years later I moved 800 miles and ended up not far from Jim Davis's house and studio.

I thought the "U.S. Acres" segments were the best; the antics of Roy and Wade always cracked me up, and those episodes have stuck with me the longest.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

For me the greatest cartoons of all time are the various Jay Ward productions - Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Do-Right, Fractured Fairy Tales, Mr Peabody and Sherman - all of which I saw in the 60's around the time they were first produced.  

Related story: A number of years ago the local PBS station was showing "Of Moose and Men", the story of Rocky and Bullwinkle, during pledge week. Something notable occurred in the world and the station thought it best to break into the show and broadcast the news as it was happening.  In a later interview, the station manager said that decision had set the record for angry calls from viewers.                                                                                                                                                                                

Edited by rur
  • Love 6

I  always thought Louis C K was a creep and his 'entertainment' was, at best, icky even BEFORE all these stories came out. He was always MUST miss TV to me!

Edited by Blergh
initial switch
  • Love 11