Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

On 10/3/2017 at 7:07 PM, Jac said:

Me either. The only one I have ever found jarring is the one that was tacked on to the first half a dozen or so episodes of Sports Night at ABCs behest. 

Laugh tracks are a case-by-case basis for me. Shows like The Big Bang Theory has a horrible laugh track, and I would even watch the show more if the laugh track wasn't so annoying and intrusive. But then some other sitcoms implement it a bit better.

19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Plus, it's just not the same without those badass 80's shoulder pads that the women wore.

19 hours ago, DittyDotDot said:

And the hair!! You just can't have a good cat fight unless your hair is as big as your ego!! ;)

And lots and lots of sequins!

• Love 5
On 10/13/2017 at 11:38 PM, amaranta said:

Reboots - I don't get it.  Especially when they decide to ignore a last season and pretend that none of those things happened.  They did; we all saw it.

A new Dynasty seems especially unnecessary; the original was iconic 80"s kitsch so I really don't see the point.  Is the well really that dry?

Yes, yes it is. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

I think Game of Thrones is incredibly boring. It is absolutely joyless. It's just a non-stop stream of grim, depressing scenes episode after episode. Ugh....

Agree! AFAIC, it's ONLY virtue is that it's filmed in quite stunning settings but one can save the trouble of having to watch the show by just surfing the 'Net for travel pics (or [cough] looking at post cards and brochures).

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

I think Game of Thrones is incredibly boring. It is absolutely joyless. It's just a non-stop stream of grim, depressing scenes episode after episode. Ugh....

I haven't watched the show, but I loved the books.  I actually don't want to watch the show.  For some reason, I have different tastes for reading and viewing.  But, I think I'm going to have to because I want to know what happens.

8 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Yeah, I have zero interest in that show. Besides my bias in being squeamish against a lot of graphic violence, the show just seems really boring.

8 hours ago, WritinMan said:

I have to disagree with the absolutely in absolutely joyless,

Tormund's infatuation with Brienne and her baffled/horrified reaction to it is like sunshine.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Tormund's infatuation with Brienne and her baffled/horrified reaction to it is like sunshine

I also like any scene with Bronn. 

"I drink and I know things" got a ton of mileage in academics. 

It is a depressing show, but the show actually said so in the show. I never felt I really had a chance to enjoy the show. I had to watch it because all social media had spoilers the next day, and I hate the "stay off social media" condescension. How about you adhere to fair spoiler policy? 

Nothing is as good as it is or bad as it is. It's certainly not the everybody,  but I don't think it's good enough to defend either. Everyone is really dumb fur the most part. 

19 hours ago, WritinMan said:

Ha!  That's what kept me from reading the books for years (before the show).  I was warned that they are grim, nothing good ever happens to anyone.  The most depressing thing?  GRRM will never finish them.  Sigh.

Someone on another site suggested GRRM actually stopped writing the series and hasn't admitted it yet. He or she got piled on! I've been reading the series since 1998 or so, but I honestly don't care anymore. By the time I waded through book 5 and passed it along to my friend, I told her "he's never going to wrap this up in 2 books" and mentally wrote it off. I still enjoy the show though. I don't have HBO so I watch it with a friend when neither of us has anything else to do. We're currently planning a binge of season 7 over the Christmas break. I used to buy hard covers and pay for HBO so I could watch live. I'm cured!!

Edited by Irishmaple
  • Love 3
On 12/10/2017 at 5:06 PM, Dee said:

Unpopular Opinion: 'Bughead' on Riverdale? Absolutely terrible.

I had to stop watching that show before this even became a thing. Because I could not accept the idea of a supposedly dramatic show (for the CW) was happy to have a moody, angsty teenager called Jughead, with no real name, who wears a wool hat shaped like a crown at all times. It's just so... comic booky, or Saturday morning cartoony. I could not take him seriously as a real person, but the show was desperate for me to.

16 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I had to stop watching that show before this even became a thing. Because I could not accept the idea of a supposedly dramatic show (for the CW) was happy to have a moody, angsty teenager called Jughead, with no real name, who wears a wool hat shaped like a crown at all times. It's just so... comic booky, or Saturday morning cartoony. I could not take him seriously as a real person, but the show was desperate for me to.

Well, it is based on a comic book after all.  I have no desire to watch this show either.  But, I won't fault a show based on a comic book for being comic booky.  I'm just not interested.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

What IS up with the CW and Fox having no new shows in any genre other than "superhero"?

CW is mainly a teen audience so I can see them gravitating toward whatever trend are finding popular at the moment.   Right now that is super heroes and adventure stories.  Fox I have no explanation for.  I never really did with Fox.  

CW & Fox are trying to build brands.

The superhero shows have proven to be the CW's bread & butter lately so they're keeping with what works.

Fox is rebuilding so they're throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

CW is mainly a teen audience so I can see them gravitating toward whatever trend are finding popular at the moment.  

Yes, the CW is the YA network.  I love the CW comic book shows (other than Riverdale) but don't ask me to sit through the ones based on YA novels like Vampire Diaries and The 100.

• Love 1
On 20/10/2017 at 2:33 PM, Katy M said:

Well, it is based on a comic book after all.  I have no desire to watch this show either.  But, I won't fault a show based on a comic book for being comic booky.  I'm just not interested.

I know it is. But there's nothing about the show that is at all like the comics, other than the character names. They're trying to present it as a dark, psychological drama, full of tortured teen angst. Which just does not work if one of your characters is called Jughead and wears a crown all the time.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I know it is. But there's nothing about the show that is at all like the comics, other than the character names. They're trying to present it as a dark, psychological drama, full of tortured teen angst. Which just does not work if one of your characters is called Jughead and wears a crown all the time.

The show is nothing like the comics you remember. The comic has been darker and more realistic since 2010. It's also set in the present day.

Afterlife with Archie launched in 2013. It's a horror series where Riverdale is gutted by a zombie apocalypse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife_with_Archie?wprov=sfla1

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina launched in 2014. The Black Hood was reimagined as a darker antihero in 2015.

If the show doesn't work for you, that's fine. You are entitled to not like it. But it's not incompatible with what Archie comics are now as opposed to what you remember.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

The show is nothing like the comics you remember. The comic has been darker and more realistic since 2010. It's also set in the present day.

Afterlife with Archie launched in 2013. It's a horror series where Riverdale is gutted by a zombie apocalypse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afterlife_with_Archie?wprov=sfla1

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina launched in 2014. The Black Hood was reimagined as a darker antihero in 2015.

If the show doesn't work for you, that's fine. You are entitled to not like it. But it's not incompatible with what Archie comics are now as opposed to what you remember.

My complaint was not that the show isn't like the comics. I don't care about the comics, never read them. My point was that, if you want to present a dark, dramatic show full of angst, you shouldn't be calling a character Jughead and having him wear a crown in every scene, just because he did so in the comics.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

He could always go by his real name, instead of his ridiculous moniker Jughead, but 'Forsythe P. Jones III' is a bit of a mouthful.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Dee said:

He could always go by his real name, instead of his ridiculous moniker Jughead, but 'Forsythe P. Jones III' is a bit of a mouthful.

They could just call him Jones if the full name is too much. I never read any of the comics, but I do agree that some comic book elements* just don't work as well in live action. And Jughead is one of them.

* Not referring only to Riverdale but (comic) books in general.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

They could just call him Jones if the full name is too much. I never read any of the comics, but I do agree that some comic book elements* just don't work as well in live action. And Jughead is one of them.

* Not referring only to Riverdale but (comic) books in general.

See, I don't have a problem with the name or the hat, but do understand @Danny Franks' issue with the show. There is something about their production design and tone that doesn't quite gel for me either. I wouldn't say it's too "comic book-y" but it's also too much angsty teen drama as well. There's a line between the two the show just can't seem to find, IMO.

• Love 1

I just read TV guide hits/misses and it is  just further proves I don’t understand people at all.  Young Sheldon, Whisdom af The Crowd and 9JKL all seem to be hits.  I think they are all kinda awful especially 9JKL while I am really liking The Brave and it seems to be a bubble show.  Then again if I like a show it’s lucky if it hits bubble land.

Edited by Chaos Theory
cleaning up post
  • Love 5

Of those three I'd say Young Sheldon is the only real hit. And that's after only one episode. Who knows what will happen next. Wisdom of the Crowd is doing ok, but not a hit and 9JKL is losing half of the Big Bang Theory leadin so in my opinion more a miss than a hit unless it can stay at the same ratings level after BBT moves to Thursday.

When you are working off longstanding cannon it’s a fine line between telling your own unique story and staying in the boundaries so not to offend those who are already fans of the story.  Some do it better then others.  Sometimes it’s a matter of just changing the genre like Riverdale.  Other times you just say fuck it and don’t bother to use anything except the bare bones like Gotham.  Other times you change very little and simply tell the story as written like I believe Game of Thrones has more or less done.  *

* Of course GoT has left out a whole lot but they have kept a large part of the story cannon to what I understand.  I don’t watch it so I might be wrong.

Edited by Chaos Theory

Like I said I am not familiar with the comic books for Riverdale and other series that I watch, but following the forums for these shows I have learned that long running comic book series are often rebooted. So they start from scratch and throw out previous continuity. That means that comic book tv series can often be seen as just another reboot of the story with most of the familiar core characters but with mostly new stories and relationships.

That makes them different from shows like Game of Thrones where there is just one continuous story over all the books that can more easily be adapted to a tv series. Of course that doesn't always stop showrunners from changing significant parts of the book story. I've never read the books, but I've heard that series like Legend of the Seeker and The Vampire Diaries were very different from the books that they were based on.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:25 PM, bilgistic said:

What IS up with the CW and Fox having no new shows in any genre other than "superhero"?

Its at least a bit better than never ending procedurals and soap operas that seem to be prevalent on the other channels.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2017 at 11:05 PM, Neurochick said:

I don’t get the appeal of The Deuce on HBO.  I lived in NYC in the 1970’s and it wasn’t that special or that awful.  It just was.

I grew up thinking New York was like the gritty, hardcore worlds depicted in The Warriors, the Times Square movie, and even the movie Fame. Everyone was just so tough and street savvy. I was scared to go there. 

But thanks to Mork and Mindy, I thought Boulder, Colorado was the greatest city in the world. 

• Love 7

I don't like "Stranger Things". I really thought I would, because it sounded like something I would really like, but I did not. I did make it all the way through the first season. It felt like work for me to continue to watch it and I just could not get into it. Also, while I think the kid actors were good, I did not think they were that good and that goes for the highly regarded Millie Bobby Brown. All the kids do seem lovely in real life though.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I don't like "Stranger Things". I really thought I would, because it sounded like something I would really like, but I did not. I did make it all the way through the first season. It felt like work for me to continue to watch it and I just could not get into it. Also, while I think the kid actors were good, I did not think they were that good and that goes for the highly regarded Millie Bobby Brown. All the kids do seem lovely in real life though.

I enjoyed the show enough, but I think it started off stronger than it ended and the last couple episodes were definitely a chore to watch for me.

Anyway, I liked the kids, but I don't think any of them are great actors necessarily. I just like that they acted like kids...reminded me of movies of my youth like Goonies and E.T. where the kids weren't perfectly cute little precious things, but regular goofy, obnoxious and silly kids. 

• Love 7

That's what I like. I don't care what the premise is, but it's kids being kids. Riding bikes out all day. It's funny because you can't do a show like that and set it in 2017. There's kids that go about on their own in my neighborhood, but it's not the same. 

Back then people left their car radios on too.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 8

I will watch the second season of Stranger Things, just as I did the first, but I'm already tired of hearing about it, and the second season just came out today.

I knew it was officially Too Much when people started getting Stranger Things tattoos. I'm all for tattoos and have several, and while I shouldn't be judgy of what people get as tattoos, I can't help but go, really? How are people who got ALF tattoos feeling about their decision right now?

• Love 11

I enjoyed Stranger Things for the '80s nostalgia, but that was it; the story itself left me completely uninterested.  I'd have thrown in the towel halfway through season one, but my friend who was relying on my parents' Netflix access wanted to see it through, so the next time I was kitty-sitting at my parents' house she came over and we finished it.  I liked it better than the first half - or maybe I just drank more - but I still came away utterly convinced the show is all hat and no horse:  It dazzles with its "OMG, I had that!" props, but has little else going for it -- it's just an okay, "eh, there's nothing else on" show.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I thought Stranger Things was great.  Just not THAT great.  I have no idea how or why it won awards.  It wasn’t award wining great. Then again the shows I think are seldom win awards so what do I know?

I say this all the time. In fact, I said the exact same thing about Big Little Lies. Another program I thought was good, but it didn't seem like it was a huge standout that it deserved all the awards. But what do I know?

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, DittyDotDot said:

I say this all the time. In fact, I said the exact same thing about Big Little Lies. Another program I thought was good, but it didn't seem like it was a huge standout that it deserved all the awards. But what do I know?

See Big Little Lies was one of the few shows that o actually thought deserved all the awards it got.  It was well written acted it had an incredible female heavy cast and it the overriding story of abuse in a upperclass family was intense.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

I have an unpopular opinion that will probably get eggs and tomatoes thrown my way. I'm already tired of the rash of military themed shows that seem to have cropped up this season.

No egg or tomato’s.  Bust a different opinion.  I like action movies and tv shows so I find the actiony nature of military themed shows fun.  Plus it is at least a change from the never ending superhero shows and supernatural shows that have popped up as of late.

That's the problem. A show can't just be a good show. Everything has to be the best thing ever or it's absolutely terrible. It's really a shame. With all the television product options, there's actually a lot of good shows out there. Just let a show be good. 

• Love 22