Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, feverfew said:

My UO is that I'm tired of being accused of internalized misogyny, whenever I - for one reason or another - dislike the designated "cool girl".

Seconded! 

Corollary: a woman who suffered abuse can still be an unpleasant person.  (see: Scandal, Abby Whelan - at least seasons 1 and 2, the ones I watched)

• Love 15
12 hours ago, feverfew said:

My UO is that I'm tired of being accused of internalized misogyny, whenever I - for one reason or another - dislike the designated "cool girl".

I don't think it is strictly misogyny but I do think female characters are judged more harshly then male characters.

• Love 23
(edited)
14 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I don't think it is strictly misogyny but I do think female characters are judged more harshly then male characters.

Oh, absolutely! And I'm not so blind as to not realize that it can happen - and probably does more often than I would like to admit myself. It is something to be aware of, epsecially since it's way more malicious when it happens among female fans.

What I meant was more in the vein of not being able to make even the slightest critique of a popular female character without being lumped in with "cave-dwelling, women-hating fanboys". Also it seems it often happens in conjecture with shipping: One female character is elevated at the expense of every other female character on a show. That's what I meant by "designated cool girl". Making every other female character fair game is a practice I almost find more misogynistic than some male fans' cry for no romance/female characters of position, especially because it has a tendency to spill over to the actresses playing the parts. Saying you don't think an actor is very good at her job is par for the course; disparaging her looks, her choice of clothes, claiming she only got the job because she slept her way to it, is disgusting and will immediately make me mentally disregard any gender critique that person lob at the show.

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 14

It's been a while since I've expressed this oldie but goodie:

I hated Terra on Teen Titans, and I didn't have one iota of sympathy for her. She was a treacherous, ungrateful hellspawn who stabbed the only people who were ever kind to her in the backs, and had the unmitigated balls to resent them turning against. Terra got exactly what she deserved in the end, and good riddance.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:44 AM, feverfew said:

Oh, absolutely! And I'm not so blind as to not realize that it can happen - and probably does more often than I would like to admit myself. It is something to be aware of, epsecially since it's way more malicious when it happens among female fans.

What I meant was more in the vein of not being able to make even the slightest critique of a popular female character without being lumped in with "cave-dwelling, women-hating fanboys". Also it seems it often happens in conjecture with shipping: One female character is elevated at the expense of every other female character on a show. That's what I meant by "designated cool girl". Making every other female character fair game is a practice I almost find more misogynistic than some male fans' cry for no romance/female characters of position, especially because it has a tendency to spill over to the actresses playing the parts. Saying you don't think an actor is very good at her job is par for the course; disparaging her looks, her choice of clothes, claiming she only got the job because she slept her way to it, is disgusting and will immediately make me mentally disregard any gender critique that person lob at the show.

A few years back there was a soap actress getting death threats because people hated her character. Now, that is just stupid. I think anyone that either can't separate characters from actors, or who feels the need to improve their show by killing actual people off, need to get rid of their TV ASAP.

• Love 7

My UO re "That 70's Show" is that the core group reminded me of acquaintances I knew in my teens whom I went out of my way to avoid- and whose parents were preferable company despite all their dissing of them!

• Love 1
(edited)

Another That 70s Show Unpopular Opinion: I hated how the T7S got rid of all the parents (save Red/Kitty & Bob).

Hyde's parents abandoning him was one thing, but by the seventh season, all the kids parents were gone or unseen (save Tim Reid & Brooke Shields eventual stunt casting) the warm community feeling of the earlier seasons disappeared.

I understand the kids popularity contributed to the increased focus on the younger characters, but still felt it was such a cop out to have each kid the product of deadbeat parents.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
(edited)

To be fair, weren't the only parents the show truly focused on from the beginning just Red/Kitty and Bob/Midge? I don't remember ever meeting Kelso's parents, Fez' sponsor family, Jackie's parents (we would just hear about her dad a lot) and of course there was Hyde, whose parents were always randoms who showed up to remind viewers how crappy his home life was. But the consistent adults were always Eric and Donna's parents and I may be wrong but I always thought the actress who played Midge chose to leave the show and that's when they wrote in Midge taking off to California. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
(edited)

Both of Jackie's parents, Kelso's Dad and Fez's sponsor family were all featured in Season 1. 

It wasn't a big deal to me though, until the gang was discussing Kelso's non-committal reaction to Brooke's pregnancy and Jackie began rambling about how sad it was that Hyde was a poor orphan whose parents had abandoned him; as if she, and Donna, who was standing right next to her, had no idea what that felt like.

Hyde's Mom disappearing toward the end of Season One was one thing. But after Midge ran off to California, then Hyde's Dad randomly disappears, again, (with Hyde's Mom no less), followed by Jackie's Dad being sent to prison & her Mom partying in Mexico, all over the course of a single season, it began to feel like overkill.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

A few years back there was a soap actress getting death threats because people hated her character. Now, that is just stupid. I think anyone that either can't separate characters from actors, or who feels the need to improve their show by killing actual people off, need to get rid of their TV ASAP.

I recall Tony Goldwyn relaying a story of a someone on a flight reprimanding him for something his Scandal character did.  I remember thinking, "Wait...people still do that?" To my knowledge, his life hasn't been threatened - seems to be primarily women with that cross to bear. Yeah, the blurred line "fans" are disturbing.  

But what do I know - the very rare times I come across an actor in person, I leave them alone. I have no interest in their autograph, or taking a selfie with them. 

• Love 7

*deep breath*

I don't mind Ryan Seacrest.  Granted, I've only ever seen him on AI and the red carpet before awards shows, but I never understood why he's so hated.  Is it because of his ambition?  I mean, he seems nice enough.  Did I miss an article where he admitted to being an proud member or the KKK?  Was he caught abusing puppies?  With some people I get why they aren't liked (even if those things about them don't bother me), but I never understood the hate for Ryan. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

I think a lot of the hate comes from him unleashing the Kardashian's upon the world. Which, I never understood, because you don't have to pay them any attention. But, I don't know. 

Ah, see, I wasn't even aware of this.  Ignorance is bliss rings true again  :)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

*deep breath*

I don't mind Ryan Seacrest.  Granted, I've only ever seen him on AI and the red carpet before awards shows, but I never understood why he's so hated.  Is it because of his ambition?  I mean, he seems nice enough.  Did I miss an article where he admitted to being an proud member or the KKK?  Was he caught abusing puppies?  With some people I get why they aren't liked (even if those things about them don't bother me), but I never understood the hate for Ryan. 

That's interesting, because he hasn't done any of those things, as you've said.  And, from what I've seen of him he does seem like a nice guy.  That said, I can understand hating on someone and not really being able to express why.  For example, I want to throat punch Blake Lively and, I swear, I can't give you a reason why.  It just is what it is.  I can't stand Ryan Seacrest and the only things I can think of are 1) Kardashians and 2) having had so many jobs that could have gone to someone else?  

• Love 1

Some people just rub other people the wrong way, for no particular reason. It's often just personality/temperament rather than actual actions.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I recall Tony Goldwyn relaying a story of a someone on a flight reprimanding him for something his Scandal character did.  I remember thinking, "Wait...people still do that?" To my knowledge, his life hasn't been threatened - seems to be primarily women with that cross to bear. Yeah, the blurred line "fans" are disturbing.  

But what do I know - the very rare times I come across an actor in person, I leave them alone. I have no interest in their autograph, or taking a selfie with them. 

Just this morning this was a headline on Yahoo.  Josh McDermitt has been getting death threats for the actions of his character on TWD.  Really, people?

• Love 2

When I lived in Southern California, one of my coworkers used to listen to Ryan Seacrest's radio show, and that's when I started to dislike him.  He's smarmy and he asks celebrities questions that are none of his business, even after they indicate they don't want to answer them.

• Love 1
On 5/3/2017 at 8:27 AM, Haleth said:

Just this morning this was a headline on Yahoo.  Josh McDermitt has been getting death threats for the actions of his character on TWD.  Really, people?

Sigh.  Frankly, I hope more actors start reporting people, and police track down who they can and arrest them.     

• Love 3
On 5/2/2017 at 6:09 PM, HoboClayton said:

I think a lot of the hate comes from him unleashing the Kardashian's upon the world. Which, I never understood, because you don't have to pay them any attention. But, I don't know. 

How did he do that? 

I thought Ray J's sex tape was responsible for the launch of the Kardashian...fame(?)

• Love 1

I think part of the Seacrest hate is that his level of fame and fortune is incongruous with his actual talent....which, of course is something he has in common with the Kardashian clan. I personally don't hate him, I just find his ubiquitousness baffling.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

I think part of the Seacrest hate is that his level of fame and fortune is incongruous with his actual talent....which, of course is something he has in common with the Kardashian clan. I personally don't hate him, I just find his ubiquitousness baffling.

When you think of it, he really is like the Ks because he took one thing that got him attention, & then ran with it. Of course his one thing was hosting American Idol (Brian Dunkleman, are you still kicking yourself?) & the Ks was the sex tape, but still, he took his opportunity.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, GaT said:

When you think of it, he really is like the Ks because he took one thing that got him attention, & then ran with it. Of course his one thing was hosting American Idol (Brian Dunkleman, are you still kicking yourself?) & the Ks was the sex tape, but still, he took his opportunity.

And at least he's actually doing stuff.  Hosting American Idol, AT top 40, now Live with Kelly, instead of just having cameras follow  him around being, um, trashy.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And at least he's actually doing stuff.  Hosting American Idol, AT top 40, now Live with Kelly, instead of just having cameras follow  him around being, um, trashy.

I don't really like him, although I don't dislike him really either, but I have come to admire how hard he works.

• Love 7
On 5/2/2017 at 6:23 PM, Joe said:

Some people just rub other people the wrong way, for no particular reason. It's often just personality/temperament rather than actual actions.

As we go through life, approximately 10% of the people we meet will not like us, for no discernible reason. And vice versa. And there's nothing you can do about it. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, ennui said:

As we go through life, approximately 10% of the people we meet will not like us, for no discernible reason. And vice versa. And there's nothing you can do about it. 

I think it's the other way around for me. 90% of people don't like me.  But, they probably have good reason.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Agreed. I find him lacking in sincerity and appeal but lookadat - he's everywhere! So good luck avoiding him.

I personally think he'll hurt Live in the long run... can't bear to watch him.

• Love 1
On 2017-4-30 at 9:30 PM, Chaos Theory said:

I've lost count of the number of shows where a female character have become the focus of hate and mockery, for huge swathes of the fanbase. Just off the top of my head, Lyla in Friday Night Lights, Chloe in Stargate: Universe, Laurel and/or Felicity in Arrow, Claire in Modern Family, Karen in Daredevil, Winona in Justified, Maggie in The Newsroom all immediately spring to mind as women who were criticised for every little thing they did, or didn't do, said or didn't say. Usually held to standards far, far higher than anyone else on the show. That's not to say I personally liked all these characters, or couldn't understand the antipathy in some cases, but it's always seemed interesting to me that it's usually women who bear the brunt of this.

Is it the writing, the acting, the dreaded 'internalised misogyny', or even acknowledged misogyny? I don't know. But sometimes it seems like female characters just can't get a break from some people. Sometimes the dislike is accompanied by a championing of another female character, who is deemed 'cooler' or more worthy of attention, sometimes it's just a blanket dislike of all the female characters, because they bring 'drama' in the form of potential romance or stories that aren't built around action scenes. Who knows, it's impossible to unpick the psyches of the general public.

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I've lost count of the number of shows where a female character have become the focus of hate and mockery, for huge swathes of the fanbase. Just off the top of my head, Lyla in Friday Night Lights, Chloe in Stargate: Universe, Laurel and/or Felicity in Arrow, Claire in Modern Family, Karen in Daredevil, Winona in Justified, Maggie in The Newsroom all immediately spring to mind as women who were criticised for every little thing they did, or didn't do, said or didn't say. Usually held to standards far, far higher than anyone else on the show. That's not to say I personally liked all these characters, or couldn't understand the antipathy in some cases, but it's always seemed interesting to me that it's usually women who bear the brunt of this.

Is it the writing, the acting, the dreaded 'internalised misogyny', or even acknowledged misogyny? I don't know. But sometimes it seems like female characters just can't get a break from some people. Sometimes the dislike is accompanied by a championing of another female character, who is deemed 'cooler' or more worthy of attention, sometimes it's just a blanket dislike of all the female characters, because they bring 'drama' in the form of potential romance or stories that aren't built around action scenes. Who knows, it's impossible to unpick the psyches of the general public.

The two big ones I usually draw on are Skylar White on Breaking Bad and Rita on Dexter.  Both women got a great deal of vitriol that often (but not always) that came down to the unforgivable crime of wanting their monster husbands to come home at night and be husbands and fathers.  

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Speaking only for myself regarding Karen from Daredevil, I can't stand the sound of the actress's voice-it just nails on a chalkboard for me. That said, I don't like Karen, not because she's now Matt's love interest, but because back when she wasn't, when she was out on a date with Foggy, asked him to pretend he was blind and to "read" her face. ?But the biggest beef I have with her is that her arrogance caused a character I loved (Ben) ,by not listening to him and doing what she wanted because she wanted to and a whole host of other reasons. If she'd been a guy named Ken and done the same thing, I'd hate Ken too. So if that makes me a misogynist, then so be it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess there is a sector of the viewing public who are misogynists, but not all people who don't like a certain female character are. The way some of you feel how hate is unreasonably placed upon women characters (and you are not wrong but this is not for every viewer who dislikes a female character), I think it is unreasonably placed on characters who are simply good people or who want to be. They are called whiny, Mary Sues or Gary Stus (in actuality, many don't know how to use those terms), and more. I also have a UO that not every woman on a TV show or movie has to be a stereotypical strong woman or bad ass fighter to be liked. Heck, you don't have to live your life as she does but we women come in all shapes and sizes with many characters and personality traits. Some of us are shy; some of us are introverts; some of us are physically weak; some of us are horrible people who deserve not to be liked; and (gasp) some of us have low self esteem or are not intellectually strong. I agree it is a balancing act to show all of that in TV and movies, but sometimes the hate is not about being a woman. For me, I dislike overly "bad ass" characters to the point they are emotionless. If that character is a woman, so be it.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 20
(edited)

I'd say part of the fault lies with how female characters are written. They may start being awesome, but sooner or later show runners throw them in a romance, and then more often than not dumb them down. It's like it was impossible to imagine a woman in a relationship not staying herself. I would allow for the temporary insanity when one falls in love, which is true for both genders. But after the initial rush, people can stay in love and still be themselves. But TV writers don't seem to think that is the case where women are concerned. Go figure.   

Edited by NutMeg
typo
  • Love 1

I hate that daytime syndicated show Right This Minute. The only way I might like it is if I could get paid to sit on my butt, watch viral videos and discuss them. 

On 5/4/2017 at 7:29 PM, auntlada said:

I don't really like him, although I don't dislike him really either, but I have come to admire how hard he works.

I remember a long ago interview with Ryan Seacrest where he was talking about how he felt like there were so many other people who could do his jobs as well as he did, so he knew he had to keep working hard and never let up because he felt like it could all evaporate tomorrow. 

• Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, selkie said:

I remember a long ago interview with Ryan Seacrest where he was talking about how he felt like there were so many other people who could do his jobs as well as he did, so he knew he had to keep working hard and never let up because he felt like it could all evaporate tomorrow. 

I don't generally give much thought to Ryan Seacrest one way or the other, but that's a pretty good attitude.  Hopefully, that means he's saving up his money so that when/if it does evaporate he doesn't end up homeless.

• Love 9

I read a similar interview with Vanna White way back in the 70's where she said  that she  knew very well that a monkey could turn over the tiles and for that reason she was going to continue to work as hard as she could to continue on Wheel of Fortune as long as possible, since it was a fantastic easy high-paying job.  Good for her.

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Re news of "American Idol" being revived by ABC, I have just one word:BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, the only good part about American Idol was Simon Cowell's snarky insults.  I know, I know, I'm mean.  Randy Jackson was also kind of cool.  But, once Simon left, there was nothing special about the show.  I just saw the list of proposed judges: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande.  Really?  Who is going to watch that?  OK, teenagers, I guess, which is fine.  Not every show is made for every demographic and there are much worse things that teenagers should be watching.  So, I guess I just talked myself into this being OK.  But, I'm not going to be watching it.

• Love 2

If those are the judges, they're making a mistake. You need people who aren't actively courting music careers and audiences because those are the people who are willing to be "mean" and drop the hammer. The show became a success because Simon was mean and because they got very, very lucky in finding Kelly Clarkson their very first year. She was likeable, talented and her early success made it possible for the show to be credible and grow. The people at ABC can only do so much to control the contestants (they'll scout for sure but that doesn't mean those people will agree to participate or catch on with a voting audience) but they do have control over the judges. No one there is the serious judge who can sway opinions or drive votes. When Simon talked, it mattered. You can have one fun popstar in the "Paula Abdul build people up and be supportive role" but you also need a mean (or at the very least, serious) judge to succeed.

It's the problem with The Voice too (though the chemistry between the judges hides it quite a bit.) No one is willing to be the critical one because they don't want to face the backlash on twitter but without someone critical, nothing they say is important or buzzworthy.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Blergh said:

Re news of "American Idol" being revived by ABC, I have just one word:BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

American Idol is like herpes at this point. Just when you think it's finally gone it comes back for more. 

Guess this was probably the reason Seacrest was chosen as Kelly's co-host.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

IMO, the only good part about American Idol was Simon Cowell's snarky insults.  I know, I know, I'm mean.  Randy Jackson was also kind of cool.  But, once Simon left, there was nothing special about the show.  I just saw the list of proposed judges: Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Ariana Grande.  Really?  Who is going to watch that?  OK, teenagers, I guess, which is fine.  Not every show is made for every demographic and there are much worse things that teenagers should be watching.  So, I guess I just talked myself into this being OK.  But, I'm not going to be watching it.

Aren't even the teenagers tired of those three at this point? 

At least get someone with a personality. 

• Love 1

Hasn't American Idol only been gone for a year?  Have fans really been clamoring for a reboot?

21 hours ago, vibeology said:

You need people who aren't actively courting music careers and audiences because those are the people who are willing to be "mean" and drop the hammer.

You are absolutely right, although I'd say "realistic" rather than "mean."  All the kissy, smoochie, gushing on The Voice is boring.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

You are absolutely right, although I'd say "realistic" rather than "mean."  All the kissy, smoochie, gushing on The Voice is boring.

You are absolutely right about The Voice.  I got tired of the judges always blowing smoke up the contestants' asses, instead of giving constructive criticism when needed.

• Love 1