Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

On 1/19/2017 at 3:19 PM, ABay said:

I loved Lennie, but every time L&O uses the "innocent people don't ask for a lawyer/allow unwarrantless searches/express concern about invasions of privacy" approach or sneer at civil rights like they're just an inconvenience for the police, it worries me and makes me angry. 

However, there were times this came back to bite him in the ass & confessions/evidence got tossed.  I remember one particular episode with this woman with the damn ugliest bangs I've ever seen (I think someone the police questioned said she was wearing a "knock-off Ann Taylor" suit...as if Ann Taylor inspires knock-offs, but I digress)...if I'm remembering correctly Lennie found evidence in her purse, but it got tossed because she & the purse were inside her apartment (or maybe hotel room) & the purse was technically not included in the search warrant.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

However, there were times this came back to bite him in the ass & confessions/evidence got tossed.  I remember one particular episode with this woman with the damn ugliest bangs I've ever seen (I think someone the police questioned said she was wearing a "knock-off Ann Taylor" suit...as if Ann Taylor inspires knock-offs, but I digress)...if I'm remembering correctly Lennie found evidence in her purse, but it got tossed because she & the purse were inside her apartment (or maybe hotel room) & the purse was technically not included in the search warrant.

Sometimes? It always seemed to come back on them between 33 and 44 minutes when Stone's/McCoy's/Cutter's assistant had to find a work around for the cop's actions. It was the normal Law & Order twist. The secondary one being the initially arrested suspect was lying to prevent some embarassment and it made him look guilty until the ADA's secondary investigation ended.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Raja said:

Sometimes? It always seemed to come back on them between 33 and 44 minutes when Stone's/McCoy's/Cutter's assistant had to find a work around for the cop's actions. It was the normal Law & Order twist. The secondary one being the initially arrested suspect was lying to prevent some embarassment and it made him look guilty until the ADA's secondary investigation ended.

Thanks for verifying.  I haven't watched Law & Order in years & didn't want to say definitively that it came back to bite them all the time.  All the better, then :)

• Love 2
On 1/24/2017 at 9:21 PM, Raja said:

To be fair, even when the cops acted in a completely competent manner, there was still always a secondary ADA investigation.  It was especially annoying when that happened during the trial.

But not as annoying as the formula on House.  I could never get into that show because each time I saw it, House (brilliant diagnostician who was so good that he could behave as badly as he wanted) maimed or nearly killed his patient two or three times before miraculously figuring it out at the end of the episode.

• Love 5

I think Emily Deschanel looks fucking great. She's 40 and had 2 kids. She's not going to look like she did 12 years ago. I'm glad that the actress isn't being forced to starve herself down to what she weighed in her twenties. And, in a weird way, it makes the show more realistic because I don't think that Dr. Brennan would starve herself either. And she'd give anyone who commented on her weight a lecture on the history and anthropology of cultures that respect that women will gain weight as they age when they have children.

• Love 18

DC and Marvel both need to just stop with the torture subplots.  This week's episodes of The Flash, S.H.I.E.L.D. and DC Legends each had one.  Just. Stop.  Are these writers so challenged and incapable that they can't figure out another way to produce exposition?  

On 1/20/2017 at 2:25 PM, ennui said:

For me, it was House. If you've ever been in the hospital, you know you don't get five people deciphering your illness. You only see your doctor once a day, when s/he does rounds, and if you miss them because you're off having a test, you wait another day. 

From what friends and family in healthcare have told me, Scrubs is the show that's far and away the best about showing how hospitals actually work.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

From what friends and family in healthcare have told me, Scrubs is the show that's far and away the best about showing how hospitals actually work.

Truth, although I've never actually seen the World's Most Giant Doctor.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I once heard some scientists say the best example of time travel in a film was the last few minutes of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, when they're in the police station. It's possible to be silly and still be accurate.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3

Watching the miscellaneous reruns on the local Fox channel tonight, the lineup before primetime that competes against the CBS, NBC, ABC local and national news shows.  Starts off with Two and a Half Men, Mike and Molly, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, 2 Broke Girls, and Big Bang Theory.

Two and a Half Men was funny when Charlie was on the show, I won't watch with Ashton on the show.  Just not funny to me.

The rest of the shows are funny to meh, except 2 Broke Girls.  I have it on now as I was busy getting dinner ready and was to lazy to change the channel.  There is nothing funny to me on that show, and I've watched several now (they show it late at night as well).  I am not compelled to root for any of the characters.  Max is always a smart ass, the blonde ex-heiress (can't even think of her name) is just bleh, Sophie is not funny one bit to me.  Why would she even think she's a hot chick?  And the crowd always does a wooooo when she enters.  Seriously?   Her boyfriend or fiancée is gross.  I don't understand why the owner of the café would put up with all of their shit.  They are broke, so they need the jobs - all that work there.  Fire their sorry asses.  Garrett Morris' character is mildly amusing, in a silent chuckle sort of way.  I don't care if cupcake business does well, plus the blonde - Caroline? graduated from Wharton.  Give me a break that she couldn't get a better job than work at a diner.  She would have had one friend who had connection left, unless she was a total unsufferable bitch, and she's played as to being the one who is sensitive and has a heart of gold.  But, the bottom line is it's just not funny to me.

Big Bang Theory has jumped the shark for me.  When all of the guys "wifed" up it sort of took a turn towards their all being more normal guys.  I wonder how they tie this all up when it goes off the air?  I always had thought as a real twist that Sheldon would've ended up with Amy, and they're living in suburbia with a couple of kids and he's now the family guy.  But all of that would have happened as a where are they now type of thing on the last episode. 

• Love 6

This isn't really an UO, but a strange question. 

How is FX able to get away with saying "fuck?"  All of the other cable networks, SyFY, USA, TNT, BBCAmerica, either don't say it or have it bleeped out.  It's strange. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

How is FX able to get away with saying "fuck?"  All of the other cable networks, SyFY, USA, TNT, BBCAmerica, either don't say it or have it bleeped out.  It's strange. 

Just a guess - I think the FCC rules on language just apply to broadcast shows, so a cable-only show would be able to set its own standards. And the time of day might make a difference too; I've seen shows on Comedy Central that bleep words during prime time but don't bleep them at late night.

I remember the first time they aired "Saving Private Ryan" on TNT, they didn't bleep out the language but during the (limited) breaks put up a warning about the language.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

The rest of the shows are funny to meh, except 2 Broke Girls.  I have it on now as I was busy getting dinner ready and was to lazy to change the channel.  There is nothing funny to me on that show, and I've watched several now (they show it late at night as well).  I am not compelled to root for any of the characters.  Max is always a smart ass, the blonde ex-heiress (can't even think of her name) is just bleh, Sophie is not funny one bit to me.  Why would she even think she's a hot chick?  And the crowd always does a wooooo when she enters.  Seriously?   Her boyfriend or fiancée is gross.  I don't understand why the owner of the café would put up with all of their shit.  They are broke, so they need the jobs - all that work there.  Fire their sorry asses.  Garrett Morris' character is mildly amusing, in a silent chuckle sort of way.  I don't care if cupcake business does well, plus the blonde - Caroline? graduated from Wharton.  Give me a break that she couldn't get a better job than work at a diner.  She would have had one friend who had connection left, unless she was a total unsufferable bitch, and she's played as to being the one who is sensitive and has a heart of gold.  But, the bottom line is it's just not funny to me.

Further, I've seen a lot of sentiment that the chemistry between the girls is just fabulous, but I think it's pretty much non-existent.  When they're together, it's like "ok Max actress, time to say your line" and she shouts it with her "aren't I one clever, adorable smart-ass" smirk, followed by "ok Caroline actress, time to say your line", as she shouts something with her "aren't I the most adorable dumb blonde ever" smirk.  I really do not get this show's appeal.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Even more bizarre, on Mr. Robot, they bleep out 'fuck', but they don't bleep out 'cunt.'

3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

2 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

Just a guess - I think the FCC rules on language just apply to broadcast shows, so a cable-only show would be able to set its own standards. And the time of day might make a difference too; I've seen shows on Comedy Central that bleep words during prime time but don't bleep them at late night.

I remember the first time they aired "Saving Private Ryan" on TNT, they didn't bleep out the language but during the (limited) breaks put up a warning about the language.

From the FCC: https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/obscene-indecent-and-profane-broadcasts

What about cable, satellite TV and satellite radio?

Because obscenity is not protected by the First Amendment, it is prohibited on cable, satellite and broadcast TV and radio.  However, the same rules for indecency and profanity do not apply to cable, satellite TV and satellite radio because they are subscription services.

From my understanding, the reason cable TV channels limit language use is mostly because they don't want to upset advertisers. The other reason is that many cable channels are part of corporations that include a broadcast network. Cable channels try to judiciously use profane language because the FCC will sometimes crackdown on broadcast networks in an effort to bully their sister cable channel.

• Love 3

On a related note - UO: When networks with comedy shows loosen up their profanity standards so that the characters just say the bleeping words, it makes them less funny. I noticed this when Adult Swim loosened their standards two or three years ago. For some reason the bleeps are funnier than the actual words.

• Love 3

Ironically I tend to get annoyed when things are absent when they should be there.  I get that smoking has gone way out of fashion but on a show like Orange Is The New Black I find the lack of it destracting.  The same with cursing and nudity.   I barely notice cursing and well placed nudity but the lack of it when it should be there gets destracting after awhile.

• Love 2

I hate--HATE--the term "the big game" when what commercials/TV shows really want to say is "Super Bowl."  I'll say it for them:  Super Bowl.  Super Bowl.  Super Bowl.  Super Bowl.  Super Bowl.  I get that certain companies pay a lot of money for the right to use it in their advertising so it's really not cool for others to use it for free.  I get that.  However, "the big game" is just annoying and distracting because I don't know anyone who actually calls it that.  Just say, "Grab a coke for Sunday."  We'll know what you mean,  don't worry.  As an aside, my local ShopRite had the words "Super Bowl" spelled out using boxes of soda.  I took note that they only used Pepsi products in the display.  I'm sure that wasn't a coincidence being as PepsiCo is a huge NFL sponsor.  I wondered if someone had snuck some Coke products in there if (a)anyone would even notice or care and (b) if the branch would be subject to some sort of fine if anyone did notice/care.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

As an aside, my local ShopRite had the words "Super Bowl" spelled out using boxes of soda.  I took note that they only used Pepsi products in the display.  I'm sure that wasn't a coincidence being as PepsiCo is a huge NFL sponsor.  I wondered if someone had snuck some Coke products in there if (a)anyone would even notice or care and (b) if the branch would be subject to some sort of fine if anyone did notice/care.

Or they are Patriots fans given the Atlanta and Coke connection.

• Love 3

The NFL are litigious fuckers and will sue the balls off of anyone who uses "Super Bowl" if it's not affiliated with them. One of my local radio stations used to have a party for it and had to call it "Big Ass Football Bash" for legal reasons. They have sued churches over it (To avoid attracting the ire of the NFL, some churches are even giving Super Bowl parties a more generic name. Broadfording Bible Brethren Church in Hagerstown will call its annual event the "Big Game Party.") They also tried to trademark "The Big Game" until Stanford and Cal stepped in. Of course, no one calls it "The Big Game" in general conversation, but companies and organizations not associated with The Shield™ don't want to fool with their nonsense.

Shit like this is a small sample size of all the reasons I'm leaning to be done with the NFL.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I hate--HATE--the term "the big game" when what commercials/TV shows really want to say is "Super Bowl."  I'll say it for them:  Super Bowl.  Super Bowl.  Super Bowl.  Super Bowl.  Super Bowl.  I get that certain companies pay a lot of money for the right to use it in their advertising so it's really not cool for others to use it for free.  I get that.  However, "the big game" is just annoying and distracting because I don't know anyone who actually calls it that.  Just say, "Grab a coke for Sunday."  We'll know what you mean,  don't worry.  As an aside, my local ShopRite had the words "Super Bowl" spelled out using boxes of soda.  I took note that they only used Pepsi products in the display.  I'm sure that wasn't a coincidence being as PepsiCo is a huge NFL sponsor.  I wondered if someone had snuck some Coke products in there if (a)anyone would even notice or care and (b) if the branch would be subject to some sort of fine if anyone did notice/care.

The local cable TV system just did a riff off "the big game", it turned out that "the big game" was a basketball game in that case.

• Love 1

The World Series at its worst is infinitely better than the Super Bowl at its best.

There, I said it. Wake me when it's April, please. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 7
On 8/18/2016 at 3:52 PM, Princess Sparkle said:

I mentioned in a different thread that I'm doing an Oz rewatch (still hate you McManus!), but I'm reminded of how much I loved the widely-hated Hill.  I always liked his monologues, he had a pretty thankless job having to be the voice of the show, and I was gutted when he died - when the episode closes with his empty wheelchair and absolute silence, I cried.

New to this particular forum so late to comment here :  HE WAS HATED?????!!??????

Seriously?  the ONE unambiguously sympathetic character (played by a seriously yummy actor BTW)?

Thank god I wasn't active in any online OZ forums.  

neurochick: I find it interesting that there doesn't seem to be a male equivalent of "Mary Sue."

Google "Wesley Crusher."

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5
On 2/4/2017 at 9:44 PM, Popples said:

The NFL are litigious fuckers and will sue the balls off of anyone who uses "Super Bowl" if it's not affiliated with them. One of my local radio stations used to have a party for it and had to call it "Big Ass Football Bash" for legal reasons. They have sued churches over it (To avoid attracting the ire of the NFL, some churches are even giving Super Bowl parties a more generic name. Broadfording Bible Brethren Church in Hagerstown will call its annual event the "Big Game Party.") They also tried to trademark "The Big Game" until Stanford and Cal stepped in. Of course, no one calls it "The Big Game" in general conversation, but companies and organizations not associated with The Shield™ don't want to fool with their nonsense.

Shit like this is a small sample size of all the reasons I'm leaning to be done with the NFL.

In Baltimore they call it the Festivus Maximus.

• Love 2

This is my cry to the unheeding universe of old TV shows, but I recently started watching Crossing Jordan and Jill Hennessey has got to be one of the most annoying lead characters ever. I assume the show was popular since it ran for six damned years and had pretty good ratings, but Dr. Cavanaugh is extraordinarily selfish, stubborn, unkind, and bad at her job to boot. Hennessey also saw fit to give her a groaningly fake "tough" Boston accent.

The other lead, Miguel Ferrer's character is such a consistent and complete sad sack that it has become laughable. I apologize for lambasting the recently deceased (and most of it was probably due to the director and script), but jeez. His expressions are sad and weary, sad and slightly quizzical, sad and irritated, sad and confused, sad and tired. He's even been sad and horny.

I'm only on season 2 so maybe things get better, but I'm not optimistic.

• Love 1

Aw, I liked him and his jazz. Wasn't he a recovering alcoholic (on the show)? I liked Crossing Jordan. That was my introduction to the awesome Kathryn Hahn. I usually don't go for police procedurals (at all), but I got into that one.

Spoiler

It ended abruptly, unfortunately. It was cancelled and never got a proper series wrap-up.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
On 2/4/2017 at 7:03 PM, Sandman87 said:

On a related note - UO: When networks with comedy shows loosen up their profanity standards so that the characters just say the bleeping words, it makes them less funny. I noticed this when Adult Swim loosened their standards two or three years ago. For some reason the bleeps are funnier than the actual words.

On NBC's The Good Place, the characters can't curse in their alternate reality.  It's hysterical to hear characters say things like, "What the Fork?" or "Holy Shirt!" 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, Betelnut said:

I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager on BBC America.  I've always loved it and it still holds up! (UO here)

I don't know that anyone felt that it wouldn't hold up. I think the popular opinion about Voyager is that its best was pretty good, but its worst was unbelievably boring. Voyager's problem is that it has a good premise that I always felt was being undermined by notes from Paramount to make the show more like Next Generation.

• Love 2
On 2/6/2017 at 3:46 PM, topanga said:

On NBC's The Good Place, the characters can't curse in their alternate reality.  It's hysterical to hear characters say things like, "What the Fork?" or "Holy Shirt!" 

Holy Mother Forking Shirt Balls!

6 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't know that anyone felt that it wouldn't hold up. I think the popular opinion about Voyager is that its best was pretty good, but its worst was unbelievably boring. Voyager's problem is that it has a good premise that I always felt was being undermined by notes from Paramount to make the show more like Next Generation.

Threshold

Spoiler

Paris and Janeway creating salamander babies

was my second favorite episode.  The snark was glorious.

• Love 4
On 2/4/2017 at 9:44 PM, Popples said:

Thanks for this information!  After noticing references to "The Big Game" in pretty much every grocery store circular the past couple weeks I was wondering if use of "Super Bowl" is somehow prohibited.

• Love 1

So I'm binge-watching Black Sails - in the middle of season 2 at the moment. I have several UPOs, but the main one so far: the show really doesn't know what to do with its female characters.  Maybe it gets better, but once I realized Michael Bay is one of the executive producers, it all started to make sense.

• Love 2
On 06/02/2017 at 3:29 AM, riley702 said:

Or Marty Stu.

I've also heard Gary Stu used fairly often. 

But the Mary Sue moniker actually comes from an early fanfiction story (from the 1970s, according to wikipedia), I believe, where the self-insert character had that name. So it's a name that was coined directly for a female character. 

Off the top of my head, I'd say that Archie, in Riverdale, is absolutely a Marty Stu/Gary Stu character. Handsome, intelligent, kind, athletically and musically gifted, loved by all his peers, and by adults, the object of affection for the prettiest girls in town. His only flaw, so far, seems to be his lapse of judgement in sexing his hot teacher which... let's face it, isn't a flaw that's going to end up hurting him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Wait, Archie 'sexed' Miss Grundy?!  I hope not. In any case, it looks like it's going to join 'Sleepy Hollow', 'The Muppets' (2015) in the ash heap of 'if it ain't broke, fix it 'concept shows!

He did indeed. I've been told that the original Miss Grundy was a woman in her 60s. Well now she's a hottie in her late 20s, who is clearly manipulating Archie and leading him by the nose, for reasons that will probably amount to more than just being hot for him.

That show is fucking weird.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

He did indeed. I've been told that the original Miss Grundy was a woman in her 60s. Well now she's a hottie in her late 20s, who is clearly manipulating Archie and leading him by the nose, for reasons that will probably amount to more than just being hot for him.

The previews for the next episode imply that the hot Miss Grundy may have stolen the identity of the old real Miss Grundy. Hot Miss Grundy is ridiculously manipulative. Archie is crazy when it comes hot Miss Grundy.

• Love 1
On 2/12/2017 at 4:50 PM, Danny Franks said:

That's not his nose. ?

I don't think Beyonce is all that talented (I remember her singing a capella in some of the extras from the "Dreamgirls" DVD, and she was not as good as Anika Noni Rose who belted out "Ain't No Party," also a capella), and her beatification by celebrity "journalists" and the public in general makes me want to throw up every time they refer to her as "Queen Bey" (or whatever it is). 

• Love 16
6 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

I messed up quoting and now I can't fix it, so SmithW6079 didn't say this, I MaryPatShelby am saying it.

But I'm with you on Beyonce.  Today I read complaint after complaint about Adele basically beating Beyonce at the Grammys, things like "I want to throw Lemonade in their faces" etc.  I decided to stop reading.  

• Love 5
On 2/12/2017 at 3:50 PM, Danny Franks said:

Gee, why didn't they just make a brand new show about a Gary Stu teen  instead of trying to tie him to the old Riverdale deal. Miss Grundy was supposed to be somewhat of a joke but as per the strip eventually evolved into someone the students had a bit warmth towards in spite of her often being  a cross, silly old woman. Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything here.

• Love 5

Here's my unpopular opinion: I don't care what the old Archie comics did. They were terrible and the company has been writing Archie comics that are more in line with Riverdale for about a decade. The comic and TV industries are businesses and Archie comics needed to innovate or die. They were dying. No one in TV was remotely interested in doing anything with Archie characters until they started writing comics in a style that was dramatically different from the classic comics.

• Love 10
On 2/13/2017 at 10:13 AM, proserpina65 said:

I still enjoy Sleepy Hollow.  No, it's not the same as before, but it still entertains me.

I liked Juliette on Grimm, and wouldn't mind her being redeemed. 

I liked Juliette before all the becoming a Hexenbiest stuff. I liked Adelind when she was a villain.

• Love 2