Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, ganesh said:

I'm enjoying Westworld, but I don't think it's as nearly as clever as it thinks it is, nor do I find the discussion over when the logo changes to be particularly engaging. I'd rather just watch the show. 

The logo changes?

• Love 2
On 11/3/2016 at 1:46 AM, lordonia said:

I think half the viewers of Elementary are there only because of the clothes! If you took a plier to my toenails immediately after an episode, I still could not tell you anything about what Lucy Liu wore.

Getting back on the clothing topic.  I watch The Librarians on TNT and almost all the conversation on Cassandra is how she dresses.  It's like every episode someone comments on how they wish she dresses like an adult.   The show is not s masterpiece but it does deserve comment beyond that.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Getting back on the clothing topic.  I watch The Librarians on TNT and almost all the conversation on Cassandra is how she dresses.  It's like every episode someone comments on how they wish she dresses like an adult.   The show is not s masterpiece but it does deserve comment beyond that.

I never mention that I kind of like how she dresses. 

On 12/6/2016 at 8:36 PM, bilgistic said:

I, too, really don't get all the hype about A Christmas Story. Also, I can't stand that kid's face. Completely punchable.

MV5BMTY5NTE3NTI3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgwNjg3MQ@@._V1_CR0,25,266,150_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

mega-loathe that movie. My in-laws have the marathon playing every Christmas Eve/Day and it makes me want to put my boot through the TV. Give me a Die Hard/Home Alone double feature any day.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Sorry, but I hate Home Alone, also. The underlying issue here is that I don't like kids (and movies featuring kids), and don't find them "precocious".

I'll watch horror instead.

My caveat to that is horror movies with demonic kids. Give me a movie about the spawn of Satan and I will watch it.

On 12/6/2016 at 9:36 PM, bilgistic said:

I, too, really don't get all the hype about A Christmas Story. Also, I can't stand that kid's face. Completely punchable.

MV5BMTY5NTE3NTI3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgwNjg3MQ@@._V1_CR0,25,266,150_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

For the record, he's hot now:

peterbillingsleynow.jpg

• Love 8

I admit I've never seen A Christmas Story but I hate that they do that "24 hours of A Christmas Story" special every year. Not that I expect most people actually repeat it for the entire 24 straight hours but I just don't think any movie needs to be run that many times in a row.

• Love 6

I love Christmas Story (I watch it on the 24 hire stan in TBS) and those are and gorgeous eyes. But I can see how it wouldn't appeal to others. Different strokes. Personally I can't, and haven't been able to, sit through an entire It's A Wonderful Life. I like the idea of it, I like the idea ibn other forms. For some reason I associate with Mary Poppins, the Sounds of Music, and Julie Andrews, all of which I can't stand. Of course I also hold the UO that just because something is in black and white it doesn't mean it's  better.

• Love 5

I have a deep love for It's a Wonderful Life because my dad and I put it on every year and just riff on it the whole time.  I'm not sure why.  We actually do like the movie but we just got into that tradition when I was a kid and now I can't imagine Christmas without it.  Maybe because he does a great Jimmy Stewart impression.  No one else thinks it's funny and the rest of the family tends to leave the room while we're doing this.  Oh well. 

• Love 3

My youngest has seen A Christmas Story once, when her dad wanted the kids to watch it with him. She despised it. She heard about the 24 hour marathon and told me she thought it must be a special planned to attract male viewers because she didn't see the appeal of the movie except to 12 year old boys. I told her loving bad movies isn't limited by gender and we laughed together. A moment of bonding over the dislike of a movie. Aww, Christmas memories. 

Edited by ramble
  • Love 3

It's funny, but I had never heard of or seen A Christmas Story until my late teens. But Peter Billingsley (Ralphie) has always been "Marvin" for me. He was the kid who kept trashing his house/causing household disasters in commercials for Hershey's Chocolate Syrup.  The commercial always ended with the mom (who was always offscreen) saying "Uh, Marvin?" I think. Or just "Marvin" in a hopeless 'what am I going to do with you?' tone.

• Love 5
On 12/8/2016 at 10:49 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I watch The Librarians on TNT and almost all the conversation on Cassandra is how she dresses.

It occasionally seems impractical to the job at hand but doesn't bother me either.  In a similar vein, I recently caught up on Timeless and don't care about Wyatt's stubble, which comments about seem to dominate the episode threads.  I also like the character which also seems unpopular.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, raven said:

It occasionally seems impractical to the job at hand but doesn't bother me either.  In a similar vein, I recently caught up on Timeless and don't care about Wyatt's stubble, which comments about seem to dominate the episode threads.  I also like the character which also seems unpopular.

If you watch 12 Monkeys (another time travel show) the main character has stubble as well which was only commented on once (at least on the show I forget on episode threads but the show gets better traction then Timeless so it is less noticeable) and done in a way that made sense for the storyline.   I think things like clothing and stubble and stuff tend to matter more when you get taken out of the show for some reason of if it is something you notice anyway.  

• Love 1
On 12/9/2016 at 11:02 AM, UYI said:

For the record, he's hot now:

peterbillingsleynow.jpg

FWIW, my husband looked exactly like Ralphie as a kid - it's the first thing anyone mentions when they see the old pictures.

He ended up looking like a young James Spader - who I always thought was pretty damn fine.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

If you watch 12 Monkeys (another time travel show) the main character has stubble as well which was only commented on once (at least on the show I forget on episode threads but the show gets better traction then Timeless so it is less noticeable) and done in a way that made sense for the storyline.

Does anyone mention how unattractive the main male character (not the actor) is? I wanted to like the show so much, and did, except after 3-4 episodes I couldn't stomach the guy's grimy hair and perpetually sweaty face any more. I'm not usually so bothered but something about him completely turned me off.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Does anyone mention how unattractive the main male character (not the actor) is? I wanted to like the show so much, and did, except after 3-4 episodes I couldn't stomach the guy's grimy hair and perpetually sweaty face any more. I'm not usually so bothered but something about him completely turned me off.

Actually a lot of people think he's kinda hot including me and boys aren't usually my cuppa.   Honestly again I didn't notice all the grimy except to say that he was living in a future where the world had ended so that kind of thing is to be expected.  Honestly having him in full makeup and minty fresh would have been more unusual. 

Re: Cassandra on The Librarians, I rarely post in the forum anymore but my issues with her costumes are:

1. If she was an actual librarian, she'd be sent home to change into something work and age appropriate. However, since the show is such an accurate portrayal of the profession (I mean, if I've battled one arch villain intent on destroying the world, I've battled a dozen), I yield on that point.

2. She's an adult. Those are children's clothes. If she looked like a child, or the character was supposed to be a child, it would be fine. But the disparity between her costumes and her face is jarring.

3. I'm using the word costume because that's what they are, things worn to attract attention as opposed to clothes worn by a person just getting dressed to go about their life. In my opinion.

Having said that, either I'm just used to them now or they're less egregious than they were.

• Love 3

M UO here on this board (but not in the real world I think) is that I like Gabby Dawson in "Chicago Fire."  It's nice to see writers actually put a WOC up front.  Normally on TV shows women of color are the side kicks and "friends of," characters who have no back story. 

I don't think she's annoying; I'm just glad the focus isn't always on a white woman for a change.

• Love 8

I can be happy to see a WOC as a main character, but at the same time find the WOC's character on a tv show to be annoying.  So, that's how I feel about Dawson.  Just because she's a WOC doesn't mean I have to like her.  

Actually, I think it's great to have POC to be viewed no differently than white actors:  Some you like; some you don't. 

• Love 9
18 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I can be happy to see a WOC as a main character, but at the same time find the WOC's character on a tv show to be annoying.  So, that's how I feel about Dawson.  Just because she's a WOC doesn't mean I have to like her.  

And that's why my opinion is unpopular, which is why I'm on this thread. What I don't get is the show is full of men, yet it seems to be that the WOC is "annoying" and I don't even get what that means anyway, another unpopular opinion.

Another UO that I have is I think I like the new National Geographic show, "MARS," I've only watched one episode, but I like it.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8

I watched Chicago Fire when it first came out but I stopped after a few episodes. I definitely found Gabby to be annoying (already lol) but I thought it was just me before I went to the TWOP boards on a whim.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Another UO that I have is I think I like the new National Geographic show, "MARS," I've only watched one episode, but I like it.

I thought I was the only person on the planet watching it.  It's definitely slow paced, but informative.  I like it too (but keep forgetting it's on).

• Love 1
On 12/12/2016 at 1:55 PM, Neurochick said:

M UO here on this board (but not in the real world I think) is that I like Gabby Dawson in "Chicago Fire."

My UO as well.  I liked Gabby fine (when I actually watched the show) She's feisty!

My other CF UO was that I wasn't too fussed that they killed off Shay. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

My other CF UO was that I wasn't too fussed that they killed off Shay. 

I agree.  I wasn't that into her and I too didn't get what was so great about her character.

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I thought I was the only person on the planet watching it.  It's definitely slow paced, but informative.  I like it too (but keep forgetting it's on).

Glad someone else is watching MARS.  I've seen three episodes.  It's a strange show because it feels like a documentary, and then I have to remind myself that it's not 2033 yet.

• Love 1

I'm over these "supersized" episodes. If you can't tell the story in your allotted time, hire a good editor.

To that end, Westworld was a B movie 8 hour miniseries stretched to 10 and a half. Not a bad show, kind of cool, but not nearly as deep as they made it out to be. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 5
On 12/13/2016 at 3:23 PM, JustaPerson said:

I watched Chicago Fire when it first came out but I stopped after a few episodes. 

I only watched Chicago Fire once because Rush (well, 2/3 of Rush) was on.  Which leads to the UO that I love Rush, which I know doesn't belong here, but what the hell :)

• Love 2

Even as a kid when my grandmother would tune the TV to The Honeymooners, I could not stand either the show or Ralph Kramden (which leached over to my opinion of Jackie Gleason). An obnoxious blue collar schlub with a short temper threatening physical violence to his wife? That was funny why?

This opinion brought to you by the reported reboot at CBS.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

Agree. We haven't moved on from The Honeymooners? I don't know why it's thought of as great.

Do channels even show The Honeymooners?  I remember years ago they used to show Honeymooners marathons on Christmas, or New Years Eve, something like that. 

20 hours ago, lordonia said:

Even as a kid when my grandmother would tune the TV to The Honeymooners, I could not stand either the show or Ralph Kramden (which leached over to my opinion of Jackie Gleason). An obnoxious blue collar schlub with a short temper threatening physical violence to his wife? That was funny why?

This opinion brought to you by the reported reboot at CBS.

Isn't the humor in the Honeymooners with Ralph threatening to knock his wife to the moon kind of the same humor they were going for with Archie Bunker? You weren't laughing at Archie because of the racist shit he said was hilarious you were laughing because of what an idiot he was. Isn't it the same with Ralph Cramden? I have read some commentary where if you watch those scenes, and Ralph is saying the to the moon stuff, Alice is staring him down like she knows he is is all talk and she has no fear of him. 

That said with all the shows over the years that have ripped off The Honeymooners model over the years do we really need an actual reboot?

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Do channels even show The Honeymooners?  I remember years ago they used to show Honeymooners marathons on Christmas, or New Years Eve, something like that. 

I know our WB/PIX/Whatever it's called is these days affiliate still does.   I'm pretty sure they still do the New Year's marathon too.  Every year we ask each other "Are you watching Twilight Zone or the Honeymooners this year?" 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Isn't the humor in the Honeymooners with Ralph threatening to knock his wife to the moon kind of the same humor they were going for with Archie Bunker? You weren't laughing at Archie because of the racist shit he said was hilarious you were laughing because of what an idiot he was. Isn't it the same with Ralph Cramden? I have read some commentary where if you watch those scenes, and Ralph is saying the to the moon stuff, Alice is staring him down like she knows he is is all talk and she has no fear of him. 

That said with all the shows over the years that have ripped off The Honeymooners model over the years do we really need an actual reboot?

Sometimes I wonder what people would think of things my family say to each other in jest if we were a tv family.  The "to the moon" thing always seemed to me as something said in exasperation but also in jest.  I don't remember much about Archie Bunker except that he was always the one to learn the lesson on life and how his racism did him no good.  If I remember correctly the show made it a point to never even come close to showing his racism had merit.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

The "to the moon" thing always seemed to me as something said in exasperation but also in jest.

Exactly.  I watched Honeymooners as a kid and I can say that it was never meant as promoting violence against women.  It was definitely meant in jest, and Alice always looked at him in what I call "amused exasperation" when he said it.  She clearly wasn't in fear for her life.  "To the moon" became the go-to phrase that just about everyone in my family used in jest.  Nobody cowered in the corner for fear of being violated.  Hell, my mom used to say it to me and shake her fist when I spilled cereal on the floor.  I laughed.  She laughed.

• Love 8
On 12/16/2016 at 1:52 PM, Neurochick said:

Maybe it's lessened in recent years, but reruns are how the show took off to begin with. The original show--the "Classic 39" episodes--originally aired from 1955-1956 on CBS, but it was up against the Perry Como Show and got cancelled after that first season, despite being very popular as sketches on the Jackie Gleason Show before that. Then the show went into reruns, getting the same shelf life as long running sitcoms like I Love Lucy and the Andy Griffith Show.

Anyway, topic:

I like Gomer and Goober!

• Love 3

Not sure how unpopular this is but while I like both Fresh Off the Boat and the Goldbergs I find the characters of Eddie and Adam to be my least favorite aspects about their respective shows.  Although I'm pretty sure Eddie Huang is no longer involved with Fresh Off the Boat and hasn't been since very early on, I wonder if it's coincidence or if there is something to the fact that both he and Adam Goldberg are the creators of said shows. 

• Love 2