Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, In2You said:

I don't know why it has to be dark. Why can't Archie just be a fun teen comedy?

Not enough angst to get the teen girl audience and not enough action to get the young males. I imagine that the CW's decision making process isn't a whole lot more complicated than that.

As someone who has never been at all interested in Archie comics, the promotional material for this shownisnt giving me much to encourage me to watch. Although a love triangle with two women and one man instead of one man suffering nobly while the woman he wants is with someone else is a change.

• Love 1

UO: I ship Kara and Mon El on Supergirl. From looking at the boards here that's a hugely unpopular opinion. I find him to be really funny and i find them to be a lot more charming then any of that Kara/Jimmy shmeck we were given last season.

• Love 8
On 1/9/2017 at 4:36 PM, Chas411 said:

UO: I ship Kara and Mon El on Supergirl. From looking at the boards here that's a hugely unpopular opinion. I find him to be really funny and i find them to be a lot more charming then any of that Kara/Jimmy shmeck we were given last season.

I am so with you on this! Jimmy and Kara were a snooze for me. I like Mon El and think that he has more chemistry with Kara than Jimmy. I did like Kara with the character of Cat's son, but since I read Melissa Benoist and the guy who played him (sorry, I cannot remember his name) are divorcing I am sure nothing will ever come of that.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2017 at 2:50 PM, Danny Franks said:

Not enough angst to get the teen girl audience and not enough action to get the young males. I imagine that the CW's decision making process isn't a whole lot more complicated than that.

As someone who has never been at all interested in Archie comics, the promotional material for this shownisnt giving me much to encourage me to watch. Although a love triangle with two women and one man instead of one man suffering nobly while the woman he wants is with someone else is a change.

From my understanding, there is no love triangle in the current comic. Archie and Betty dated and broke up long before Veronica moves to Riverdale. Jughead is asexual. I don't follow it, but I'll sometimes read the odd post about it on io9.

• Love 1

I only just realized Sleepy Hollow is back on. Granted, I sympathize with the actor who played Abbie and why people are legit upset she's not on the show. If I have to read another inane comment about "Ichabbie" or how everyone wants the show canceled. I mean, I get you think it's ruined. You're not obligated to watch. I don't care as much and just feel like watching a weird show. 

I just have a hard time believing that TPTBs are trying to tank a show to spite a small faction of their viewership.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I just have a hard time believing that TPTBs are trying to tank a show to spite a small faction of their viewership.

I just can't with a show that deliberately gets rid of black women and replaces them with....well, not black women.  They had a perfect combination the first season and the show runners urinated and shit on it, causing the show to be shit and piss.  

Sorry, the show can die a quick death.  I didn't even know it was on, as it looks like the Faux network doesn't promote it, not like they promote Star (ugh) and Empire.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 13

I understand that. It's a principled pov. To be fair, there are other black characters on the show, and the new lead is a POC, but I get the point. I've said before that TPTBs in general need to know the have, which is not necessarily the show you wanted. 

I'm talking about the "premise" that TPTBs deliberately tanked the show to stick it to shippers. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I'm talking about the "premise" that TPTBs deliberately tanked the show to stick it to shippers. 

My enjoyment of SH ended immediately after S3.  Not only did I choose no longer to watch.  But they even ruined the show retraoctively so I can't even bear to watch the earlier shows anymore.  LOL.  But I doubt if TPTB decided to make the various decisions they did that resulted in the show losing viewership over last two seasons just to stick it to shippers.

I do think they didn't know the show they had or at the very least lost sight of it.  Obviously the show as written with the cast they had in first season coupled with the admittedly dynamic chemistry of the leads was the reason for the overwhelming enthusiasm the show received.  But they systematically dismantled all that over the next few seasons culminating in the removal of Abbie.  If they had managed to keep the show interesting or exciting then in the end it wouldn't have mattered.  But even people who don't ship at all bailed on the show in droves.  Even the critics who had made the show their darling in S1.

I will say, though, that shippers might have some grievance because there have been instances where writer interaction on Social Media has been, well, juvenile in such a way that is may seem that they were getting some satisfaction that vocal shipper fans weren't going to get their wish. And in all honestly they did ship bait rather hard in the last part of S3, which really wasn't very cricket of them. So yeah I can see why some shippers give them the side eye.

• Love 12

I watched the HBO doc Bright Lights about Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher and I wish I hadn't. Everyone came across as being so pathetic. Debbie was broken down in her body and only came alive when on stage. Mostly, she could barely get up and down steps. Carrie put on her game face for autograph lines, and shuffled onstage in her stretch pants to sing, recreating the same kind of uncomfortable moment from when she was fifteen. Todd, the brother, was desperate for someone, anyone to notice him. I cannot understand the acclaim for this interminable film about two elderly women trying hard to seem eccentric rather than just sad. Honestly, I could have been watching a doc about a family living in a trailer.  It reminded me of Grey Gardens, with Drew Barrymore.  Disturbing and sad, not at all the sweet and funny film I'd been led to expect.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Carrie Fisher was 60 when she died? Is that considered elderly to most people?

I think it depends how old the "most people" are.  When you're 15, 30 is old.  When you're 35, 60 is elderly. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Old?  Maybe not.  Young?  No.  60 around the age where dying stops being tragic and just becomes sad she is gone.  Not sure if I am wording that right either.  

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Haven't seen the movie and, after Archery's review, I'm not sure I'm going to. However; speaking strictly for myself, I don't consider 60 'elderly' but then again I'm not that far from that mark (and my parents got into their late 80's) so I may be biased.

All that said, though, in Miss Fisher's case, though she definitely had a youthful spark to her to the end, alas she did not always take care of herself as well as she should have so that aged her more than she otherwise would have had happened. Anyway, FWIW, I'd have termed her 'late middle aged'.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3

No, 60 is not eldery. It's older, sure but nowadays we don't expect 60 year olds to keel over and die. Of course it happens, but it isn't the norm anymore. At 60, many people are still working and many in very demanding jobs. Carrie's issues likely had very little to do with age and far more to do with her past substance abuse issues messing up her health, unfortunately.

• Love 9

I think this is an UO: I think one of the best, most heartfelt and funny animated show of all time is King of the Hill. I feel like during its prime, it constantly lived in the shadows of The Simpsons and Family Guy (the much more popular Fox animated shows), but the show holds up so well. Consistently funny, could break your heart when it wanted to, and I find myself rewatching the series over and over again. It doesn't nearly get the due it deserves. 

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I think this is an UO: I think one of the best, most heartfelt and funny animated show of all time is King of the Hill. I feel like during its prime, it constantly lived in the shadows of The Simpsons and Family Guy (the much more popular Fox animated shows), but the show holds up so well. Consistently funny, could break your heart when it wanted to, and I find myself rewatching the series over and over again. It doesn't nearly get the due it deserves. 

I think one of my favorite TV moments of all time was when Bobby asked Hank if he could get a gun rack for his bike, and Hank replied that he'd never been so proud. That show just NAILED Texas!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Haven't seen the movie and, after Archery's review, I'm not sure I'm going to. However; speaking strictly for myself, I don't consider 60 'elderly' but then again I'm not that far from that mark (and my parents got into their late 80's) so I may be biased.

All that said, though, in Miss Fisher's case, though she definitely had a youthful spark to her to the end, alas she did not always take care of herself as well as she should have so that aged her more than she otherwise would have had happened. Anyway, FWIW, I'd have termed her 'late middle aged'.

I'll be fifty this year.  And the way Fisher walked, talked, and acted in this doc, I would have thought she was closer to her mother's age if I hadn't known better.  So yeah, "elderly" is a figurative, but accurate, description. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Totally agree. I was 7 when The Simpsons premiered and it really was a fun show to grow up on. Then KOTH showed up and blew The Simpsons out of the water. I adore that show. The last few seasons were spotty and the way it was constantly moved around really stunk, but, there was something so genuine about it, and it holds up. 

• Love 4

My UO came about because a friend told me she can't watch "Suits" because she worked at a law firm and she found the show unrealistic.  I don't get that.  I live in NYC and a LOT of movies and TV shows that are supposed to take place in NYC don't really capture the city correctly, especially the geography.  Empire for instance films in Chicago.  Well why don't they just have the show set in Chicago?  If they want the show to be in NYC, then film in NYC, easy peasy. 

If I stopped watching shows that took place in NYC because it wasn't realistic, I wouldn't have much to watch.

• Love 10
20 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

My UO came about because a friend told me she can't watch "Suits" because she worked at a law firm and she found the show unrealistic.  I don't get that.  I live in NYC and a LOT of movies and TV shows that are supposed to take place in NYC don't really capture the city correctly, especially the geography.  Empire for instance films in Chicago.  Well why don't they just have the show set in Chicago?  If they want the show to be in NYC, then film in NYC, easy peasy. 

If I stopped watching shows that took place in NYC because it wasn't realistic, I wouldn't have much to watch.

I think people have different tolerance levels on this kind of thing.  I found I can't watch Suits for the same reason your friend can't.  I work in the court system, and the entire premise of the show is so ridiculous that I can't suspend my sense of disbelief enough to accept it.  And yet, even though I know that Grey's Anatomy is equally unrealistic in a lot of ways, I watched it for years and still watch some of the early seasons.

I think a lot of New Yorkers would be in the same boat as you if shows which purport to be NYC but clearly aren't filmed there bothered them.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think people have different tolerance levels on this kind of thing.  I found I can't watch Suits for the same reason your friend can't.  I work in the court system, and the entire premise of the show is so ridiculous that I can't suspend my sense of disbelief enough to accept it.  And yet, even though I know that Grey's Anatomy is equally unrealistic in a lot of ways, I watched it for years and still watch some of the early seasons.

I think a lot of New Yorkers would be in the same boat as you if shows which purport to be NYC but clearly aren't filmed there bothered them.

I see your point but then again, so much of TV is full of bullshit, I mean no one has a soundtrack following their life around, iPods don't count.  I guess my point it that if I want to watch realism, I'll watch documentaries.  TV is about drama and story.  If that's crap, then I'm out. 

Another UO, why are shows so dark today?  I don't mean dark in mood, I mean dark, like it's hard to see what's going on. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

My UO came about because a friend told me she can't watch "Suits" because she worked at a law firm and she found the show unrealistic. 

I was just watching the tv show Lethal Weapon (I know... I know... but it is silly and I like it) and there was a courtroom scene that was so not realistic and I thought to myself, 'Man lawyers must hate watching tv.'  If there is one profession that I have a feeling that gets mangled more often than not it is that of the trial lawyer.

• Love 1

When it comes to grossly inaccurate depictions of professions like law or medicine, part of problem is that you know some viewers are going to think "this is how it works" in the absence of real life experiences showing the opposite. CSI is notorious for this--The CSI Effect--juries assume forensic science is as fast and accurate as on the show. I loved Lennie, but every time L&O uses the "innocent people don't ask for a lawyer/allow unwarrantless searches/express concern about invasions of privacy" approach or sneer at civil rights like they're just an inconvenience for the police, it worries me and makes me angry. I would like a disclaimer directing people to sites where they can find out what their rights are when stopped by a cop, why it is not privacy v. security like the two are mutually exclusive, and so on.

Edited by ABay
typgni
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, ABay said:

When it comes to grossly inaccurate depictions of professions like law or medicine, part of problem is that you know some viewers are going to think "this is how it works" in the absence of real life experiences showing the opposite. CSI is notorious for this--The CSI Effect--juries assume forensic science is as fast and accurate as on the show. I loved Lennie, but every time L&O uses the "innocent people don't ask for a lawyer/allow unwarrantless searches/express concern about invasions of privacy" approach or sneer at civil rights like they're just an inconvenience for the police, it worries me and makes me angry. I would like a disclaimer directing people to sites where they can find out what their rights are when stopped by a cop, why it is not privacy v. security like the two are mutually exclusive, and so on.

Yeah, sorry Lenny, but if I ever get accused of a crime, I'm lawyering the hell up asap.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Another UO, why are shows so dark today?  I don't mean dark in mood, I mean dark, like it's hard to see what's going on. 

I think its usually special effects and stunts on a budget.

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I was just watching the tv show Lethal Weapon (I know... I know... but it is silly and I like it) and there was a courtroom scene that was so not realistic and I thought to myself, 'Man lawyers must hate watching tv.'  If there is one profession that I have a feeling that gets mangled more often than not it is that of the trial lawyer.

I sat on one jury,  Forget CSI type stuff.  I was shocked that real life prosecutors didn't actually prepare their cases. They actually explained the logistical details that led to them not being prepared to the jury after the verdict.  Lucky for them, they were prosecuting the most transparently guilty person that was ever went to trial.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ABay said:

I loved Lennie, but every time L&O uses the "innocent people don't ask for a lawyer/allow unwarrantless searches/express concern about invasions of privacy" approach or sneer at civil rights like they're just an inconvenience for the police, it worries me and makes me angry.

Sadly, some of that is true. I still remember being gobsmacked when reading my criminal justice textbooks, which had transcripts of real life cases of cops, throwing civil rights, Miranda, right out the window, and lying to get who they thought was the guilty suspect, to confess to the crime.

I think it's one of the reasons why I can suspend my disbelief with this show, even as I'm ranting and raving and rolling my eyes at them violating the person's civil rights.  And do some more major eye rolling when during the cross overs with Homicide: Life on the Streets, they suddenly remember that the suspects have rights when Pembleton would violate their rights during questioning.

But Suits was beyond ridiculousness and I just couldn't, could NOT suspend my disbelief.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ABay said:

Well, I resented the heck out of the fact that when I was trying criminal cases with any kind of forensics expert, I would have to include a tutorial on why you can't get fingerprints off a gun or why the crime lab couldn't identify the defendant from DNA off a random hair, and the judge would have to give a CSI instruction because jurors watch too much TV.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Maybe because I tend to watch TV in low light in the evenings, but this doesn't bother me as much as some.  

What I hate? Poor sound mixing and/or actor elocution. I'm not watching your show if I can't understand what the hell people are saying.  I know that's why closed captioning/subtitles are there, but I hate using either because 1) it's more common than not that the words on the screen don't match what's being said, and 2) if I wanted to read, I have plenty of books.  Different strokes, but I find it too distracting.  

• Love 13
47 minutes ago, Archery said:

Well, I resented the heck out of the fact that when I was trying criminal cases with any kind of forensics expert, I would have to include a tutorial on why you can't get fingerprints off a gun or why the crime lab couldn't identify the defendant from DNA off a random hair, and the judge would have to give a CSI instruction because jurors watch too much TV.

Serious question:  Why can't you get prints off a gun?  It would seems like a prime print collecting area.

• Love 2

Filming In New York is expensive.  Filming in Chicago is a little less so.  I think it comes down to the number of indoor/outdoor scenes the show has.  If the show is almost entirely a police officer walking the beat of New York City then I can see the show being forced to film in New York but a show like Empire which has a lot of indoor scenes could, but technically need to be based in New York which is one of the centers to the entertainment industry's, get away with filming the majority of the show in a cheaper state an maybe film on occasion in New York,

Nashville also had that problem.  It was being filmed in Actual Nashville but the producers at the time wanted to move it to a cheaper location but what actually happened was the people of Nashville put up the difference to keep the show there and later petitioned to keep the show when it originally got cancelled.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
On 1/19/2017 at 0:19 PM, ABay said:

When it comes to grossly inaccurate depictions of professions like law or medicine, part of problem is that you know some viewers are going to think "this is how it works"

For me, it was House. If you've ever been in the hospital, you know you don't get five people deciphering your illness. You only see your doctor once a day, when s/he does rounds, and if you miss them because you're off having a test, you wait another day. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Serious question:  Why can't you get prints off a gun?  It would seems like a prime print collecting area.

As abstractstuff said, the handle of a gun is typically patterned or rough (for good reason, easier to grip).  You really need a smooth surface to get a good print.  The best place to get prints in a shooting is off the shell casing -- it's smooth, it hasn't rubbed against any cloth, and people hold the bullet precisely between thumb and forefinger to load.   

• Love 3

I can't get into shows that allow civilians to participate in police investigations like Castle or the Mentalist. We know that it never happens in real life. I watch a lot of programs on the ID network and it angers me to see cops browbeat someone confess to a crime they didn't commit. The worst example of this was on 48 hours when cops tried to get the widow of a murder victim to confess that she was having an affair and was involved in the crime. Her name was Melissa and the case was the Bike Shop murders in South Carolina. She was pregnant at the time and the cops tried to claim the baby wasn't her husband's. I really cops should be sued for slander in a case that.

This forum is for unpopular opinions about TV shows; please don't use it to bash show forums or you'll violate the Be Civil rule and we'll have to take you out back. 

Posts have been hidden. 

• Love 2
On 1/19/2017 at 2:19 PM, ABay said:

The more we learn about false confessions, the Reid style of police questioning, and truly innocent people behind bars, the less I am able to tolerate the Law & Order family of shows.  Along with the concerns about Lennie above, their interrogations are so accusatory as they try to get the suspect to confess to whatever narrative the cops have dreamed up.  It's very hard for me to watch in these more enlightened times.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I can't get into shows that allow civilians to participate in police investigations like Castle or the Mentalist. We know that it never happens in real life. I watch a lot of programs on the ID network and it angers me to see cops browbeat someone confess to a crime they didn't commit. The worst example of this was on 48 hours when cops tried to get the widow of a murder victim to confess that she was having an affair and was involved in the crime. Her name was Melissa and the case was the Bike Shop murders in South Carolina. She was pregnant at the time and the cops tried to claim the baby wasn't her husband's. I really cops should be sued for slander in a case that.

The only times I thought that it worked was Sleepy Hollow where they claimed that Ichabod was an expert in arcana and the occult and Psych. They didn't use Ichabod for every crime, just the weird ones. Psych worked because except for a handful of characters, everyone seemed to be pretty skeptical of Shawn's psychic abilities. They seemed to use him specifically because he had a skill set that they didn't.  

Castle and Lucifer are especially ridiculous. Who needs a novelist or a nightclub owner to be constant police consultants?

On 1/20/2017 at 6:35 AM, Miss Dee said:

Can you imagine what it would be like if we'd had the internet back when Shakespeare was writing?

"It's really pulling me out of the story to hear a Danish prince using modern language. Couldnt they find a real guy from Denmark for the lead?"

"Look, I'm a toadie for the Queen in real life and this guy doesn't have the first clue how a royal court works; it's really pulling me out of the story."

"Oh come on, didn't it occur to *anybody* that those wigs are totally anachronistic?! I don't want a romantic prince from far away to look like somebody I'd meet just down the road!"

"Oh, so a *play* is going to get everybody to spill the beans on the murder? Can't this hack write a logical plot line for once without mucking it all up with contrivance?"

"Ugh, Hamlet and Ophelia! I'm SO SICK of stupid romance taking over these shows! Can't we have a platonic friendship for the lead JUST ONE TIME?!"

"Oh great, everybody dies at the end. AGAIN. Way to end with an original thought, genius."

On topic: I'm not a big fan of insisting on total realism in shows. And I'm sick of having to defend liking the romance parts of stories.

Miss Dee, this is brilliant! You made me laugh out loud, thank you. Your mix or realism and absurdity is truly a masterpiece. Now I wish you would start a series of "what if we'd had the internet back when ... was writing" for different writers :)

• Love 4
On 1/19/2017 at 10:54 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Maybe because I tend to watch TV in low light in the evenings, but this doesn't bother me as much as some.  

What I hate? Poor sound mixing and/or actor elocution. I'm not watching your show if I can't understand what the hell people are saying.  I know that's why closed captioning/subtitles are there, but I hate using either because 1) it's more common than not that the words on the screen don't match what's being said, and 2) if I wanted to read, I have plenty of books.  Different strokes, but I find it too distracting.  

I don't have as much a problem with old TV shows. Maybe in the old studio system (where an actor was hired by the studio) actors were given elocution classes.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

They seemed to use him specifically because he had a skill set that they didn't.  

I think Shawn and Gus were an actual business and took on their own clients too, so it wasn't too wacked out. And they closed cases. The chief said it a lot of times. 

• Love 9
On 1/19/2017 at 10:54 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

What I hate? Poor sound mixing and/or actor elocution. I'm not watching your show if I can't understand what the hell people are saying.  I know that's why closed captioning/subtitles are there, but I hate using either because 1) it's more common than not that the words on the screen don't match what's being said, and 2) if I wanted to read, I have plenty of books.  Different strokes, but I find it too distracting

Also, what bothers me about closed captioning is that I'm so busy reading the captions that I'm missing out on what's going on in the show.  So yeah, no closed captioning for me.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Aw, thank you @NutMeg. I sort of dashed it off in a hurry, so I'm glad you and others liked it.

No thanks needed, I loved it!

And I hope to read a sequel some day, when you're next in the mood :)

• Love 2