Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Unpopular Opinion for me: I absolutely hate the show Seinfeld. Everyone once in a while, something will make me chuckle, but overall, it's just not funny.

All I see is characters that literally put themselves in these situations and them spend 30 minutes trying to get themselves out of said situation, and the entire time I am supposed to laugh. I just can't find amusing a show that the character literally just has to shut their mouth, or walk away to prevent some odd situation, as funny.

I can't even think of really good specific examples (too busy rolling my eyes if its in the background), but things like the Soup Nazi episode, where they get all testy and annoyed waiting in line for soup and there is no bread with it. Here is a concept. Walk away, buy some other soup (with bread) and then you will have prevented yourself being annoyed and the overall "humour".

Judge Judy. I like her being a reality check to some delusional people, but her shrieking, nasty tone is so off-putting. Stop yelling at everyone, stop cutting people off (shouldn't you hear all of the evidence), don't make snap judgements until you are actually going to make your judgement. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I will say that every once in a while, she will notice that the person needs some encouragement and try to impart to the individual that they need to reassess and strive for more. That's nice. The shrieking, not so much.

• Love 6

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but "shippers" can ruin shows for me. Now, I "ship" couples as much as others do--and many times, a relationship can make or break a show for me. But when overly passionate shipping overtakes message boards, it makes me start hating a show. Lost is one example. I was a fan of Jack/Kate, and made that known on TWoP. But, many times, episode threads were overtaken by shipping wars and one side praising their ship and hating on the other. And I was just able to read the FNL archives on TWoP and the gushing over Matt/Julie and the meltdowns over their breakups made me roll my eyes so hard. 

Obviously, people can post about whatever they want, but I just wanted to vent :)

• Love 7

Haha, I just made a topic called 'Shippers, but still sort of agree with you, Hava, that particular craziness ruins a forum (not so much a show) for me. 

My UO: If a showrunner caves to a popular ship, it is clearly what is keeping that show in business. I don't say this as a person who has gotten anything she wanted out of her favorite TV shows (be that a romance, death etc...). Usually, whatever I want ends up on the cutting room floor. 

Still, I can endure a show that goes in a romantic direction that I dislike. I get annoyed at people on forums who go beyond snarky with dissing the people who like the other couple or what have you and not the ship.

(Why did I make the topic then? Glutton for punishment.)

I was a fan of Jack/Kate

Oh, hey, me too!

Unpopular opinion: I hate when showrunners tease a particular ship (when discussing the show in interviews) and create an environment where nonsense ship "wars" exist. Especially since the same showrunners will go on to tout much bigger and more relevant plot concerns.  So much in television is based in will they-won't they that it's not worth investing  on the  vehement level that some fans do. What's true right now might not be in a few seasons, after all. 

That said, I enjoy "shipping" as much as the next person as long as I'm engaging with like-minded folks. You'll never see me arguing against a ship. Life's too short.

I find myself watching shows that have already gone off the air, so I happily miss all the shipping-negativity that happened when the show aired in real time.

• Love 3
(edited)

Regarding Leverage, I don't think it's a UO, because I don't know anyone here who doesn't like it but it's so sad, I agree that so few people watched it.  I'm still trying to get people I know to watch the re-runs.  I wrote this elsewhere, but I really don't think TNT did a good job with promotion at all, they certainly gave it horrible lead ins (Falling Skies?)

I may be a party of one, but I watched "Turkeys Away" (WKRP) on rerun last fall and barely laughed at all.  The long build up has almost no humor and once the final situation is revealed that's it....I just think it's way over-rated.  Give me the Bob Newhart "Over the River and Through the Woods" Thanksgiving episode any day.

Edited by roseha

I keep meaning to try more Britcoms, but I've been pretty "meh" on a few that most people adore: Fawlty TowersAre You Being ServedAbsolutely Fabulous. I liked Keeping Up Appearances, but PBS seems to keep running the same handful over and over.

I enjoyed a show that's become a synonym for bad "high concept" TV: Cop Rock. I thought there was too much screen time devoted to a love triangle between an attractive female cop, her homely husband, and her attractive male partner, but I liked the rest. The gospel-singing jury was wonderful.

• Love 1
'm not sure how unpopular this is, but "shippers" can ruin shows for me....But when overly passionate shipping overtakes message boards, it makes me start hating a show
@Hava, may I have a seat at your table? I've had to stop reading boards because nonstop shipping ate the thread and threatened to ruin a show for me.
  • Love 3
(edited)
Regarding Leverage, I don't think it's a UO, because I don't know anyone here who doesn't like it but it's so sad, I agree that so few people watched it.  I'm still trying to get people I know to watch the re-runs.  I wrote this elsewhere, but I really don't think TNT did a good job with promotion at all, they certainly gave it horrible lead ins (Falling Skies?)

I think the problem with Leverage was that, at least to me, the same shit happened in every episode.  I remember watching about five together and by the fifth I was bored.  Maybe it was the type of show like The Expendables, they can make a movie out of it, but to do it every week doesn't work.  

For me, there were a lot of things I hated about the show, especially the "all the women are white and all the blacks are men" really rang true in that show.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

@Neurochick, I've read this sentence five times, and I still have no idea of what it means. Can you explain it?

Ha I know it sounds like one of those standardized test questions... if all the women are white and all the blacks are men, does that mean all the whites are women?

(edited)

My god, I haven't heard that in a long time. It's a bit less true now but I remember what it meant.

In the 70's and 80's, while both the womens' and black empowerment movements were more active, it seemed like when "women" were spoken of as a political group virtually all the faces and voices in the media were white, just as all the problems to be solved and the leaders of the black movement were men.

Whether you agree with this or not, it neatly summed up a problem with two overlapping civil rights movements and got people talking.

To bring it to TV, there are a tiny few more exceptions these days in casting women of color in principal roles when a woman character is needed, like in Person of Interest and Sleepy Hollow, but as late as the 00's diverse casting meant the women would always be white and the blacks would always be men. Does the sentence make more sense now?

ETA: It's also the title of a book about the issue. http://www.amazon.com/But-Some-Of-Are-Brave/dp/0912670959

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 1

My god, I haven't heard that in a long time. It's a bit less true now but I remember what it meant.

In the 70's and 80's, while both the womens' and black empowerment movements were more active, it seemed like when "women" were spoken of as a political group virtually all the faces and voices in the media were white, just as all the problems to be solved and the leaders of the black movement were men.

Whether you agree with this or not, it neatly summed up a problem with two overlapping civil rights movements and got people talking.

To bring it to TV, there are a tiny few more exceptions these days in casting women of color in principal roles when a woman character is needed, like in Person of Interest and Sleepy Hollow, but as late as the 00's diverse casting meant the women would always be white and the blacks would always be men. Does the sentence make more sense now?

ETA: It's also the title of a book about the issue. http://www.amazon.com/But-Some-Of-Are-Brave/dp/0912670959

Yes, that's what I was talking about.  Diversity means black men, not black women, if women are in a show, they're usually white.  My point was that to me, Leverage really had too much of that for my taste.

Diversity means black men, not black women, if women are in a show, they're usually white.  My point was that to me, Leverage really had too much of that for my taste.

Okay, I understand the concept now, but it doesn't really apply to Leverage, IMO. Of the main cast, only Alec Hardison was black, while Timothy Hutton and Christian Kane weren't. What I was having trouble with was "all the blacks are men" when all the men weren't black. I might just be creating confusion where no confusion should exist, and I'm not saying you should have liked the show, so YMMV.

• Love 1
Unpopular opinion: I hate when showrunners tease a particular ship (when discussing the show in interviews) and create an environment where nonsense ship "wars" exist. Especially since the same showrunners will go on to tout much bigger and more relevant plot concerns.  So much in television is based in will they-won't they that it's not worth investing  on the  vehement level that some fans do. What's true right now might not be in a few seasons, after all.

THIS. This comment is awesome. I'm stuck anticipating a ship and it's pissing me off bigtime. The show itself will put in scenes or dialogue that tend to promote or at least hint at the future ship and it just irks me. Either yes or no - do or don't  - Just don't waste my time otherwise.

• Love 1

I'm not sure how unpopular this is (I think it is), but I don't mind roles being recast, especially if it's a character who has a decent part in the show.  For example, it's my understanding that the character of Linda was killed on Under the Dome because the actress had other projects.  I liked Linda (another unpopular opinion!), and Linda was important in the book.  To me it makes no sense not to recast.

• Love 2
Hava, may I have a seat at your table? I've had to stop reading boards because nonstop shipping ate the thread and threatened to ruin a show for me.

Welcome! haha

What's interesting to me is why I find "extreme shipping" to be so objectionable. If you think about it, a romantic relationship is just another story line on a show, and I don't really feel that way when people become passionate about other kinds of relationships or story lines. I think it may have to do with the fact that a lot of times shippers want their couples to be the focus of a show (and complain when they are not) or because, for some reason, romances inspire people to be very defensive (which I have been, on occasion). I don't know.

I've decided that I must have been the only person to actually like Stargate Universe and, for me, ::blasphemy alert:: it was the best Stargate they made. The other's were enjoyable and I watched them, but I was actually interested in where they were going with Universe--I even bought the DVDs--whereas the others I just passively watched, enjoyed and moved on.

• Love 1

My Little House UO: I don't feel sorry for passive aggressive Nels Oleson. He married Harriet for her store and for the most part just put up with her and the children's horrible actions. Or he'd make snide remarks behind Harriet's back or under his breath.

Edited by DoughGirl

My UO

The Office

I always liked Jim & Pam together.  Always cracked up when Jim gave that look to the camera. 

Everybody loves Raymond

I loved this show and it never failed in making me laugh and forget about my troubles.  That's what I look for in a sitcom.

Once Upon A Time

Tired of Emma & Hook.  Give me some Snow/ Prince Charming story & make me happy!!

Edited by tribeca
  • Love 1

My 'View' UO-

How I wish just ONE of the past or current 'View' cohosts had had the guts to say upon Barbara Walters' re-re-retirement 'I hope she finds her peace but I'm not going to fake that she was ever my friend nor that she bettered journalism or womanhood so I'm skipping that mawkish tribute to her!'

• Love 4

I've decided that I must have been the only person to actually like Stargate Universe and, for me, ::blasphemy alert:: it was the best Stargate they made. The other's were enjoyable and I watched them, but I was actually interested in where they were going with Universe--I even bought the DVDs--whereas the others I just passively watched, enjoyed and moved on.

You're not the only one! I liked SGU as well, especially in season 2. I liked the setting, most of the characters and that there were actual conflicts between them. I still think SG1 is the best overall, but I'd prefer Universe to Atlantis any day. I can see why some people would be upset because the show is so different, but personally I think the franchise got very stale before SGU, so a breath of fresh air was definitely needed.

I cannot stand The Golden Girls, Hot In Cleveland, or Seinfeld. Roseanne started out good, but in my opinion, started going down hill when Dan got the bike shop and Roseanne was a waitress. And don't get my started on how they dumbed up Becky and Jackie, and turned Darlene into a younger copy of Roseanne.

I did not  understand the appeal of Rory on Gilmore Girls. Did she ever work? Blames Logan's father for committing a crime because he did not tell her she with the be all, end all of the journalism universe. Cheats with a married man, but its okay because he was her boyfriend first, and he is not happy in his marriage.

I did understand the appeal of Rory on Gilmore Girls. Did she ever work? Blames Logan's father for committing a crime because he did not tell her she with the be all, end all of the journalism universe. Cheats with a married man, but its okay because he was her boyfriend first, and he is not happy in his marriage.

When I was younger (watching the first time) I thought he was such a jerk. Which he still is, but he had a point that Rory might not be cut out for Journalism and if that is what she wants she going to have to work for it. Rory worked at the rich organization her grandmother was in (what was it called?). And don't get me started on the whole Dean thing.

• Love 2

I like Cris Collinsworth as one of the SUnday Night Football guys.   Al is the best of course.   But I think Al and Cris work well together.   Sure he says something stupid ocassionaly or blows a call.   But it's live tv and he is a human being.   I prefer him over Joe Buck and definitely over I-an Eagle.   

• Love 4

Well here's one that I didn't think I'd have to post, but here goes...

Here is my Unpopular Opinion about the new STARZ series Outlander:  I don't see why the show couldn't have provided subtitles when the Highlanders were speaking in Gaelic. I understand that the show runners want us viewers to experience everything from Claire's point of view, but I don't think having subtitles would detract that for me. I already relate to her, and I don't need to be her, as a viewer, to relate to her. It actually takes me out of the moment with me trying to figure out what's being said by their mannerisms or hand waving, which "explains" or "demonstrates" what they're saying.

That said I am enjoying the show. And putting out my thoughts why didn't they provide subtitles does not equal me not liking the show because they didn't.

I'm not sure how unpopular this is, but "shippers" can ruin shows for me. Now, I "ship" couples as much as others do--and many times, a relationship can make or break a show for me. But when overly passionate shipping overtakes message boards, it makes me start hating a show. Lost is one example. I was a fan of Jack/Kate, and made that known on TWoP. But, many times, episode threads were overtaken by shipping wars and one side praising their ship and hating on the other. And I was just able to read the FNL archives on TWoP and the gushing over Matt/Julie and the meltdowns over their breakups made me roll my eyes so hard.

Obviously, people can post about whatever they want, but I just wanted to vent :)

The shippers that baffle me the most are those that have a TON of onscreen moments and producer/author support and 90 percent of fandom ships it, yet they still want to silence and belittle the ten percent that don't. Bleach anime fandom pops to mind....in its heyday, foljs took to writting essays (literally essays!) to slag off the pair in competition of the other one then jerk each other off at how smart they are. I can't wait till that manga ends and Ichigo ends up with no one so that both sides will howl.

I did understand the appeal of Rory on Gilmore Girls. Did she ever work? Blames Logan's father for committing a crime because he did not tell her she with the be all, end all of the journalism universe. Cheats with a married man, but its okay because he was her boyfriend first, and he is not happy in his marriage.

As an aside to the last part, I remeber all the RORY IZ A HOOR!!1! sentiment after she slept with Dean within the fandom, which only got worse when she got with the rich BF a few episodes later. What, two guys in six month deserves slut shaming? From a girl who was 21 before she ever had sex at all?

The cheating was shitting and neither deserved a pass, but the hate Rory got for acting like a relatable human pissed me off to no end.

That said, her season long tantrum after Logan's father didn't worship at her feet deserves all the slagging off it got and then some.

• Love 2

The shippers that baffle me the most are those that have a TON of onscreen moments and producer/author support and 90 percent of fandom ships it, yet they still want to silence and belittle the ten percent that don't. Bleach anime fandom pops to mind....in its heyday, foljs took to writting essays (literally essays!) to slag off the pair in competition of the other one then jerk each other off at how smart they are. I can't wait till that manga ends and Ichigo ends up with no one so that both sides will howl.

I know next to nothing about anime fandom, but this seems applicable across genres. 

It's funny, I can enjoy romantic relationships on a show, but as long as the actors have reasonable chemistry and said show doesn't get bogged down in angst, I don't care who is paired with whom.  For example, with Gilmore Girls, I was perfectly fine with Chris as a romantic interest for Lorelai. But I was also fine with Luke, the teacher (Max?), and whoever else that I can't remember, Jason being the exception.  I never bought the Lorelai and Jason relationship - don't know if it was the actors, but Lorelai never seemed that interested in Jason to me.  I never shipped Lorelai with anyone in particular.     

• Love 1

As an aside to the last part, I remeber all the RORY IZ A HOOR!!1! sentiment after she slept with Dean within the fandom, which only got worse when she got with the rich BF a few episodes later. What, two guys in six month deserves slut shaming? From a girl who was 21 before she ever had sex at all?

A similar thing happened when EJ DiMera cheated on his fiance Sami Brady on Days of Our Lives. Twitter basically exploded with outrage, with EJami shippers calling both the character of the 'interloper, Abby Devereaux,' and the actress who played her a slut, even though EJ was only her second sexual partner and he was the one who was in a murder ballad of a relationship at the time. Apparently in some ways we really still are living in the fifties, I guess.

• Love 2

A similar thing happened when EJ DiMera cheated on his fiance Sami Brady on Days of Our Lives. Twitter basically exploded with outrage, with EJami shippers calling both the character of the 'interloper, Abby Devereaux,' and the actress who played her a slut, even though EJ was only her second sexual partner and he was the one who was in a murder ballad of a relationship at the time. Apparently in some ways we really still are living in the fifties, I guess.

Dafuq? I only watched Days for Kristen Dimera/Eileen Davidson, but from what little I know of EJami, they are absolutely toxic around each other. I don't know how anyone can be so invested in any soap pairing, I really don't.

I don't hate it, I just think it's rather silly and have no interest in it.  Once while home sick I tuned into a marathon BBCA was running since they were showing multiple versions of the show and I thought since I was stuck in bed anyway I might as well see what the chatter was about.  No matter who played Doctor or his assistant, I thought it was uninteresting and rather cheesy.

• Love 4

They are still calling Abby a whore!  My UO on this is that I thought EJ and Abby were super hot.

I like Under the Dome.  Yes, I know it's stupid, but I don't care, I find it entertaining.  I actually think this season is better than last season as well.

• Love 1

I think real life rich people on TV are not particularly interesting.  Donald and all the little Trumps, Martha Stewart, Paris Hilton - Nicole Richie, whatever the Kardashians are ...  In addition, I think they should be put through psychological screening before being allowed onscreen. 

Ok.  The results of those screenings might be interesting, but only in a HIPAA violation kind of way.

Why do I want to watch rich people make more money?  Whoever thought that?

• Love 2

Why do I want to watch rich people make more money?

Unless it contains information about how I too can pull in that sort of cash, I'm not interested.

• Love 8

I have no interest in Shark Week.

Sometimes, it pays to be clueless - what the hell is Shark Week? Programming about sharks? I dare not google this.

That's exactly what it is.  True stories about sharks, scientific shows about sharks, and I think shark movies.  The first year it was interesting, now it's just old.  Sadly, my husband and kids all love it, so it's the main focus for the week and I have listen to it. 

The best thing about Shark Weeks past was the ads. My favorite included two little kids in swim gear backing slowly away from their inflatable kiddy pool as the theme from Jaws played.

The worst thing about the current Shark Week is that it "inspired" Shart Week on Comedy Central.