Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I'm a freak of nature… I liked Ezri Dax. 

Count me as another that liked Ezri, too. I never warmed up to Jadzia and it took me about three rewatches to realize why: until season four, hardly any of her stories dealt with her, Jadzia. Almost every story she had related to Curzon or one of Dax's previous host, the sole exception being Meridian (which was a generic Romance of the Week plot). And that revelation that Curzon was in love with Jadzia is right up there with the aborted Kira/Dukat romance the producers had planned for season seven, imo.

For what little time she was on the show, Erzi was definitely her own person (she rebuked the nickname "Old Man" that Sisko gave the previous two Daxes), and the Jadzia comparisons were limited mostly to Worf after the first three episodes.

• Love 1

Boy Meets World was, at best, a blandly pleasant, middle-of-the-road sitcom that doesn't warrant its legendary status. Really, only the first season was good, because Cory was allowed to be smart, Shawn wasn't a creepy, codependent woobie, Eric acted like a normal human being, and Topanga got to be as weird as her name.

• Love 7
(edited)

Boy Meets World was, at best, a blandly pleasant, middle-of-the-road sitcom that doesn't warrant its legendary status. Really, only the first season was good, because Cory was allowed to be smart, Shawn wasn't a creepy, codependent woobie, Eric acted like a normal human being, and Topanga got to be as weird as her name.

Yes. I was the same age as the characters were supposed to be. I liked it in grade school then outgrew it sometime in high school and never looked back. It was fine but nothing more to me. It wasn't until recently with all the 90s nostalgia that I even realized how crazy about it a lot of people still are.

Edited by kiddo82
(edited)

On Rhoda, I liked Joe, and I wish they had worked harder to make that relationship work (the writers, not the characters). Their breakup and the reasons given were so lame.

Party of two, please! I loved Rhoda but this broke my heart. I don't think she was any more funny/ interesting alone.

From the same era, I HATED Jennifer on WKRP in Cincinnati. I know she was supposed to be all stereotype-breaking awesome but she was just insufferable. So smart and well-paid and yet still existing on the backs of her older sugardaddies. Yech.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 3
(edited)
From the same era, I HATED Jennifer on WKRP in Cincinnati. I know she was supposed to be all stereotype-breaking awesome but she was just insufferable. So smart and well-paid and yet still existing on the backs of her older sugardaddies. Yech.

Jennifer was okay, but I preferred Bailey. Cute, gawky, interesting character development, that's my idea of a good character. And if I can be shallow for a minute, I think Jan Smithers was way prettier than Loni Anderson. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 10

Speaking of shallow, I liked Leslie Knope's new hair style in the season-ender flash forward.

I never got into South Park.  I mean, it was OK.  Just didn't like it enough to keep watching.

I can watch highlights/clips of Stewie and Brian for hours but the actual whole show that is Family Guy?  Don't like it.  I find all the other characters super annoying.

Boy Meets World was, at best, a blandly pleasant, middle-of-the-road sitcom that doesn't warrant its legendary status.

Was totally shocked when they announced a sequel series.  My first thought, "Why?"

• Love 2
but the actual whole show that is Family Guy?  Don't like it.  I find all the other characters super annoying.

Table for two! I *hate* Family Guy. I love the Simpsons, King of the Hill, South Park etc., but Family Guy is just totally unwatchable to me.  

• Love 5
Table for two! I *hate* Family Guy. I love the Simpsons, King of the Hill, South Park etc., but Family Guy is just totally unwatchable to me.

Make that three!  Whenever people tell me "but you would like it!  It's your kind of humor", I find myself sputtering some version of what Cartman said on South Park

i am NOTHING like Family Guy! When I make jokes, they are inherent to a story! Deep, situational and emotional jokes based on what is relevant and has a POINT! Not just one interchangeable joke after another!

• Love 4

I didn't like Family Guy (or American Dad or any of those shows) or South Park. I liked Simpsons, Futurama and even bits of King of the Hill, but I just can't with the humor on SP or the FG universe shows.

I am sort of the same way. I don't necessarily hate family guy but pretty much all of the episodes have no rewatchabity. I mean there are a ton of classic Simpsons or King of the Hill episodes I could watch over and over again, but even when I was watching Family Guy there aren't any episodes I can think of that I would want to watch more than once. I mean are there any episodes from the Post-cancellation period that people consider classic?

(edited)

I hate Family Guy and anything by Seth McFarlane. He overdoes the scatological humor, and he has abolutely no concept of comedic timing or rhythm. He also strikes me as the type to laugh at or defend his own jokes.

South Park hasn't been tolerable since 2002 or 2003. It has looooooooooooong worn out its welcome. This goes triple for The Simpsons

A part of me will always lament the cancellation of The Critic.

I actually like Kathy Griffin. She's a one-trick pony to be sure, but at least she owns it and I find her amusing.

I like Joel and Mike equally on MST3K

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 2

We just finished the series finale of Burn Notice and I didn't hate it.  I have mixed feelings, but think not out and out hating it is an unpopular opinion because I've seen it mentioned a few times in the "rage spiral" thread and another negative one.  First off, if the final season was how it was the whole time--if it had been a show about a spy who was deeply intrenched in a sting operation and had to grapple with blurring and even crossing the lines of his moral code and what's appropriate and what's not, then I'd have been all over that show, as long as it was written well.  Therefore, I found the final season fascinating.  However, having said that, yes, I was disappointed that they changed everything about the show and everyone in it so that it wasn't even close to how it was in the beginning.

So, hate?  No.  Just a little disappointed. 

NCIS

Ducky is my favorite character.  I find his rattling off his facts charming and endearing.  Abby on the other hand drives me crazy.

OUAT

Emma and Hook ship runs the show for me.  All the other characters suffer from this pairing. 

ATWT

I wanted Paul & Meg to end up together.  Wish Emily was really behind Meg's craziness instead of Meg actually being crazy.

• Love 1

I love Eva Green and really wanted to like Penny Dreadful, but I barely made it through the first two episodes. I do have the rest of the show on my Sky Box, but I can't bring myself to watch it.

Also, I liked Believe, cheesy as it was at times

I like The Critic, but it's so dated now I have to remind myself of a lot of references when I watch the DVD's.  I have the same problem with Family Guy reruns, even ones that aired just a few years ago.  One of the reasons I love Futurama and early seasons of The Simpsons so much is because they're timeless. 

Another UO:  Happy Endings.  I liked it some of the time but didn't see it as this amazing, wonderful show that needed to be saved from cancellation.  Possibly because I never saw Pally's appeal. And characters that say things like  "ah-mah-zing" and/or use "totes" as an exclamation deserve to be pummeled about the head and face.  (Side eyes Penny.)

And the Keyser Söze episode had already been done by Cougar Town and, IMO, done better.

• Love 4

My current unpopular opinion: Veronica Mars is one the dippiest, self absorbed, judgemental and obnoxious women to grace my screen and be called a heroine. I just didn't get her appeal. While I liked many other characters on the show--Mac and Wallace to name a few--I just never understood why they would be friends with Veronica let alone idolize her so.

Veronica Mars seems to be one of those polarizing characters that you either love or hate. But most of us who love her do agree that she had her obnoxious, too-big-for-her-britches moments, especially when dealing with her dad or other authority figures.

But the smart and funny lines written for her--especially in the first season--and Kristen Bell's overall awesomeness [this is not the thread to debate KB as an actress] made me like, and yes, idolize her a little.

It's somewhat the same with Family Matters.  There I kind of liked a few of the adults, but Urkel the Stalker presented as a sympathetic character ruined the show for me very early on

In the early seasons, when Urkel was just the annoying neighbor, he ironically wasn't as annoying as when Family Matters pulled a "Good Times" and made him, not the family, the focus of the show. I was always impressed with Jaleel White's acting, however.

• Love 1

I have the UO of feeling that in its one imperfect but surprisingly awesome inaugural season, Brooklyn Nine-Nine is already funnier, cleverer and just generally better than the overrated Parks and Rec. 

• Love 1

I have an opposing but also unpopular opinion. While I think Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a good show and deserved more attention from the Emmys, it still can't compare to its big sister (or whatever you want to call it) Parks and Rec. Not even close. I wouldn't be surprised if one day Brooklyn Nine-Nine surpasses Parks and Rec, because right now it's not really fair to compare a show with one solid season to a show that's had six seasons to let us get to know the characters.

And on the subject of Brooklyn Nine-Nine: Terry is just OK and Boyle can switch between lovable and super-annoying at any given moment.

• Love 1
While I think Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a good show and deserved more attention from the Emmys, it still can't compare to its big sister (or whatever you want to call it) Parks and Rec.

In my experience, that's a very popular opinion. 

Boyle can switch between lovable and super-annoying at any given moment.

Yeah, I definitely agree. 

(edited)
In my experience, that's a very popular opinion.

Just to be clear, my point wasn't about which show was better. I just think Brooklyn Nine-Nine is good but overrated. The stuff about Parks was just to contrast with your UO.

Another UO:  Happy Endings.  I liked it some of the time but didn't see it as this amazing, wonderful show that needed to be saved from cancellation.  Possibly because I never saw Pally's appeal. And characters that say things like  "ah-mah-zing" and/or use "totes" as an exclamation deserve to be pummeled about the head and face.  (Side eyes Penny.)

The only reason I'm not Liking your post is because I feel you're being too generous.

Edited by Brandi Maxxxx
  • Love 1

OK, first post, here I go:

MASH: Great great show, went to crap the last few years with its preachy anti-war narrative.

Seinfeld: Also funny great show. Worst and dummest last show.

Friends: Also funny great show. Decided to pair each cast member up as they were running out of "Three's Company" stories. I was out when Rachel and Joey hooked up.

St. Elsewhere: Mark Harmon's storyline turned the show into a dark and ugly show.

Craig Ferguson: most inovative and funny show I have ever watched has gone down the drain with boring and unfunny bits like bringing up the studio audience in the cold open, the constant phone calls, the dumb psychiatrist bit he brings out when he gets bored and the mocking of meditation.

Fallon: Pimping the Ford without telling the audience was the worst freud I have witnessed on tv and that is saying a lot. I haven't watchd since. Dude, no one on this planet calls anyone "Pal" and Merv Griffin would be ashamed of the gushing.

The Daily Show: so funny and brilliant gets bogged down by making fun of dumb people (like Rick Mercer here in Canada) in their correspondant pieces. We get it you are smart and they are dumb. Bring the bar up folks.

Regis and whoever. He was the pillar the show stood on. They should have demolished the show when they booted him out. I have seen simians interview better than Kelley.

Cougar Town: nice show but when mean people get boring being mean to mean people the show isn't worth much.

Chelsea Lately: Strangest show I have ever watched. Good interview and round table but Chelsea is the least funny person on the show. The skits and her on air comedians are never funny or entertaining. Chuey is not funny. Most the time she is so cruel and mean that I turn it off. Oh yeah Ross Matthews is not FUNNNY, NEVER, EVER. Puns are dumb dude.

West Wing: Why not give it one year with Jimmy Smits as the President, it may have been a good show. I would have watched.

Bunheads: (I was a Gilmour fan) talking fast and using huge words doesn't make your show better it makes it snobby and boring.

Newsroom: Great premise and story made unwatchable by Pills character and the treatment of the women on the show. One of the most misogynistic shows I have ever watched.

News Radio: Brilliant and should have ended with Phil Hartman's death was unwatchable with Jon Lovitch.

The View, Walters, Geddie and puppet Bitsie ruined the show with profits before substance and an unwatchable political slant and then complete dumbing down to Springer level. Another misogynistic show.

Royal Pains: good show about a doctor turned into Hank man of mystery not interesting.

Parenthood: Sappy, over emotional plots sucked the life out of the show. Cast is amazing to work with so much emotional drivel.

Friday Night Lights: Constant cast changes and completely impossible outcomes (teams winning) tarnished a great show.

Louie CK: Dude you are one of the funniest people on the planet, just let me laugh a few times a season on your show.

The Glades: Why do show have to pair the male lead with the female lead, can't there be anything different ever.

Jimmy Kimmel: Do one, just one monologue without cutting away to a remote or video bit, it kills momentum and it is not funny.

The Mentalist: one do procedural shows always get the bad guy. After a few seasons of smarmy I am smarter than you Jane gets old fast.

Thanks folks, I feel better now.

• Love 1

News Radio: Brilliant and should have ended with Phil Hartman's death was unwatchable with Jon Lovitch.

Not sure that's unpopular but anyway I am currently watching the series, I bought the dvds. I don't know if I can/should watch the last season or not (I just finished Season 3). I've seen a few eps of Jon Lovitz and didn't like his character; also it just made me sad, and I don't normally get sad over celebrities. 

(Also kind of tainted by the fact there was some dispute between Andy Dick and Lovitz over what happened) at least if Wikipedia is to be trusted...I didn't want to pursue it.) 

The Daily Show: so funny and brilliant gets bogged down by making fun of dumb people (like Rick Mercer here in Canada) in their correspondant pieces. We get it you are smart and they are dumb. Bring the bar up folks.

This. That, and the news pieces use a LOT of profanity in the place of actually being funny. I'm in the Navy, and I fully live up to that stereotype of cursing, so I hardly even notice or care 99 times out of 100; but I have the feeling the show's going for shock humor, which if that is so welcome to 1996 and the primere of "South Park".

• Love 1

Not sure that's unpopular but anyway I am currently watching the series, I bought the dvds. I don't know if I can/should watch the last season or not (I just finished Season 3). I've seen a few eps of Jon Lovitz and didn't like his character; also it just made me sad, and I don't normally get sad over celebrities.

If nothing else, at least watch the premiere of season 5. It's one of the most graceful handlings of a castmember's real life death that I've seen. Poignant and respectful but still true to the show.

(edited)
Genuinely curious about this Spike thing. Are the people who hate Spike for attempting to rape Buffy also anti-Angel because of what Angelus did? Because to me it's the same thing. Was the rape storyline ill thought out? Absolutely. But I don't see how it's fair to absolve Angel for his soulless crimes but not Spike. Of course if you do dislike both characters because of their crimes than fair enough and I retract my statement.

*raises hand*  OOoooh! Me! Me! Me!

I disliked Buffy/Angel from the beginning, but that was mostly because I found the whole thing kind of dippy. Admittedly, it could be because I was already out of high school when Buffy hit the airwaves, so my age may have had something to do with it. But come season three? I was all, "Oh hell to the no!" Haaaaaaated it with a passion of a thousand angry nuns.

I was fine with Buffy and Spike as prickly frenemies. I totally would have gotten on board with that. I should've known that wasn't gonna happen though, because here we come again! Buffy with another Vampire Who Tried To Kill Her and All Her Friends. And she inexplicable puts that Vampire first, again!

I could sort of handwave the Buffy/Angel thing (much as I hated it) because Buffy was young and being young sometimes means making unfortunate choices about boyfriends. But by the time Spike came along and she was making the same damn mistakes, I was like, "Ummm, Buffy? You haven't learned yet? Post-Angel? Post-Riley? Really?" I hated Buffy/Spike even before Seeing Red happened, and I crossed over to incandescently hating it afterwards. I don't care if Spike had a soooooooul now.

I remain bitter that the popular press seems to split Buffy fandom into either Buffy/Angel shippers of Buffy/Spike shippers. My UO is that I hate them both!

Edited by ScaryFairy1
  • Love 1

I remain bitter that the popular press seems to split Buffy fandom into either Buffy/Angel shippers of Buffy/Spike shippers. My UO is that I hate them both!

This! I feel this way watching certain soaps. Why does someone have to pick between a douche and an asshole? Why do the viewer have to root for either of those choices?

• Love 4
Why does someone have to pick between a douche and an asshole?

This is making me think of the classic (IMO) scene from Weeds.

"Hey, Lupita, what do you call the thing between the dick and the asshole?"

"The coffee table."

It was the actress' deadpan delivery that make it awesome.

• Love 2

I think the show Mom is just so bad, which may or may not be unpopular, but I actually think Allison Janney is the worst thing about it. Her part takes absolutely no finesse or timing, it's always straight to the lowest common denominator.

(edited)

I like Extant. It's one of the few recent pilots that wasn't a chore to sit through, and I'm genuinely interested in what happens next.  I'm not even much of a Halle Berry fan, but generally, I think the tone of the show suits her range.  That said, I'd prefer to watch the actor who portrays Marcus (Sergio Harford) over Goran Visnjic.  I've never found the latter remotely attractive, or much of an actor. 

Thankfully, I know next to nothing about aerospace, so I'm not watching the show with a critical eye about the science.  The show's color palette doesn't bother me, either.

Edited by ribboninthesky1
(edited)

@ScaryFairy1 just curious...did you like Buffy with Riley? Or would you have preferred the show not really play up the boyfriend angle with her?

Believe it or not, I was fine with Riley as the cute, not-at-all-serious college boyfriend who didn't bring the angst. And then they made him Mr. Supersoldier. And Mr. Upset-Buffy-Doesn't-Cry-Over-Me. And Mr.-Get-Sucked-By-Vampires-to-Get-a-Thrill.

There were a few times, even after they decided to asshole Riley up, that I still kind of liked him as a character, especially with his, "Wait. What?" moments when he reacted to the general weirdness of the Scoobies and their lives. Still, by the time he left, I was ready for him to be gone because the writing had completely ruined his cornfed charm for me. I tell ya, the writing so thoroughly screwed that character over.

So, kind of a UO. I liked Riley for what he was at first, but grew to dislike him when he made him just another one of Buffy's Jerk-y Boyfriends so they could pile the angst on that poor girl.

Edited by ScaryFairy1
  • Love 3

There were a few times, even after they decided to asshole Riley up, that I still kind of liked him as a character, especially with his, "Wait. What?" moments when he reacted to the general weirdness of the Scoobies and their lives. Still, by the time he left, I was ready for him to be gone because the writing had completely ruined his cornfed charm for me. I tell ya, the writing so thoroughly screwed that character over.

To be fair, sort of, they only "assholed Riley up" because Spike was lurking in the wings like a stalker. And really, I can only feel so sorry for Cornfed when he decided to take Bleach Boy's relationship advice seriously. Sure, even a stopped clock is right twice a day, but if you're waiting for something not self-serving to come out of Spike's mouth, you're probably gonna be waiting for a while. If that's unpopular, I'll go to my corner now.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if this is a UO (but I believe it is) but:

Gilmore Girls: I hated Jess. His relationship with Rory really annoyed me. It sort of made me dislike her.

Also...

90210: I was shocked when I found out that people hated Brenda back in the day. I loved her. And I never got the appeal of Dylan and Kelly.

• Love 5

90210: I was shocked when I found out that people hated Brenda back in the day.

Ah, yes - the "I Hate Brenda" newsletter. 

I hated Kelly, myself.  She was a vacuous twit who affected a baby voice when talking to guys.  I roll my eyes just thinking about it.

• Love 7

I hated Kelly, myself.  She was a vacuous twit who affected a baby voice when talking to guys.  I roll my eyes just thinking about it.

My sister, who watched the show obsessively back in the day, hated Kelly like she was poison. That was the first time I ever heard the word 'cankles'.

1.) Game of Thrones - I am probably one of the few people who has read the books, and is perfectly fine with the show making various changes. I know some people are fine with this, but after each episode the loudest voices on the internet seem to be from the people that are furious over the smallest change. The show only has 70 or so episodes to tell a story that is thousands of pages long - of course it's going to have to make changes. And some of them have made for great scenes (such as the fight between Brienne and the Hound). Yes, I've been disappointed when scenes I like from the books aren't the same on the show (or aren't even on the show) but nothing has ever really infuriated me the way it does for some fans. The only thing that actually really angered me was the sex scene in episode 4x03, and that's only because making a consensual scene into rape between two major characters changes everything about these characters (especially when one is on a redemption path of sorts).

2.) Penny Dreadful - I really wish more people would get into this show, as it really is a new jewel of a show that I think doesn't get nearly enough praise. Granted, I had to push myself to watch the first couple episodes but once I did I fell in love with it. 

3.) I Love Lucy - I absolutely love I Love Lucy, but what I didn't realize was an unpopular opinion was that Ricky is probably my favorite character. I don't think Desi Arnaz got nearly enough credit for being the funny straight-man to the others. 

4.) Community - I loved watching Community in the first couple seasons, but I completely lost interest after the original "timeline" episode. And based on bits and pieces I've seen of it since, I'm glad I stopped. It looked like it got too full of itself, the behind the scenes drama looked like a mess, and it seemed to be a prime example of taking a joke that was funny and using it over and over again until it's suffocated. Which is a shame, because the first season had some great eps.

5.) Leverage - I really wish more people had watched this show when it was on, because it really was the little show the could. It respected all of it's characters and its audience, and I would rather watch that show on repeat than try watching another one of Joss Whedon's shows. 

2.) Penny Dreadful - I really wish more people would get into this show, as it really is a new jewel of a show that I think doesn't get nearly enough praise. Granted, I had to push myself to watch the first couple episodes but once I did I fell in love with it.

I was tempted to watch, but once I discovered Eva Green and Josh Hartnett were in it, I decided to pass.  Watching that potential combo of scenery-chewing and blandness didn't appeal to me.

Regarding 90210 - my crushes were, in this order, Steve and Brandon.  Never gave a rip about Dylan.

Considering how much I didn't care about JH one way or the other when he was really popular, I was VERY surprised with how much I liked him in PD.

Also, I feel kinda bad for this considering how many people praise the show, but another UO of mine is that I have no real interest in watching Orphan Black. No real reason. Just cause.

• Love 1

I like scifi tv and I think Orphan Black is actually just a good show. But I'm put off by all the ZOMG TM IS TEH AMAZBALLS WIN EVERY AWARD EVAH.

First of all, it's unlikely that a scifi show is going to win awards. They just don't. And who the fuck cares? I feel like it's a fun show that suddenly got burdened with being A SHOW, and it isn't allowed to just be a show. I just get the impression that scifi tv shows didn't exist until Orphan Black came along. No offense, I do love the show and I can't wait till S3, but practically no one knows who the fuck Farscape is because social media didn't exist back then, and they blow Orphan Black out of the water. Orphan Black is great, but they have benefited from time and place. If people knew about Claudia Black and Ben Browder like now? Social media would have a heart attack. 

• Love 9

Same thing going back to Baylon 5, where you had to know what usenet was to be a part of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5 in order to get the proto-social media feel when JMS was posting there talking about the struggles of keeping his show on the air with his vision somewhat intact.

B5 being the prototype. I used Farscape as a more contemporary example because online discussion groups were more commonly used, though we didn't have online activity like FB and twitter. I can't imagine live tweeting Farscape.