Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Even more UO - I didn't have any dislike for Skyler White, but Hank & Marie Schroeder?  Irrational "hate" from the moment the characters were introduced, and nothing ever changed my mind. 

wq ducks & runs

I couldn't stand Hank or Marie at first. I started warming up to Hank during the shoot-out with the Shiny Suit Twins in season 3; it was bad-ass and he survived. From then on, i think they started to show him more as a competent police officer. Marie started to kind of fade into the background so I didn't think much about her after awhile

Topic: I hate procedural cop, CSI, medical, and courtroom dramas. So BORING.

I can't believe CSI is still on the air goin into its 13th season IIRC...? The show premiered my freshman year of High School. I can only imagine the show is only a shell of what it once was, like any show that goes beyond one Olympic cycle.

And then, it spawn dozens of shows like it! When Criminal Minds primiered, TV Guide predicted it was one crime drama too many and not to get attacjed to it. And that was only just cancelled last year!

I think I have the ultimate UO I hate it when kids on television are called brats. They are actors just like adults. There is a TV trope devoted to this topic Mean Character Nice Actor but it only seems to apply to adults.

• Love 3

Okay, here are my UO:

1. I loved Jack on Lost . But that could be because of my lust for Matthew Fox.

2. I loved all the characters, even Kate, with the exceptions of Nikki & Paoulo.

3. I do not watch any recent shows (exception see #6)

4. Modern Family is a terrible comedy. And get the father off those stupid juice commercials!

5. I didn't mind Jack O'Neil, but I had to stop watching Stargate after Daniel "died". And RDA is an asshole in real life.

6. I never understood the hype w/ Game of Thrones .... until I watched the first episode on On Demand. Then I binged the first season in 2 days. I'm now on S2, and am watching it slowly. It's riveting, IMO.

7. I hate the Kardashian excess, the Honey Boo Boo white trashiness, the Housewives over drama, the spoiled rotten & ill-mannered Bad Girls, the fake Amish shows, John Stewart bashing Republicans, and Lara on Good Morning America

8. I disliked the last few seasons on M*A*S*H as it became all abt Hawkeye Pierce & AA's preaching.

9. I've never seen Breaking Bad, Mad Men, True Blood, Dexter, OZ, or any of the 100 Law & Order shows.

10. I wish there were more Dr. G episodes.

Edited by roamyn

I had to stop watching Stargate after Daniel "died"

He got better! There's plenty more Daniel in seasons 7 - 10, and less Jack.

Edited by Joe

the writers made Sam & Jack love interests, and that made it worse.

Although they avoided fully commiting to it, which is possibly even worse than the ship in the first place.

I think I have the ultimate UO I hate it when kids on television are called brats. They are actors just like adults. There is a TV trope devoted to this topic Mean Character Nice Actor but it only seems to apply to adults.

I didn't realize this was a thing.  On a related note, I'm usually easier on child actors than adult actors, as I think they have time to develop their craft.  Every child can't be Dakota Fanning or Pierce Gagnon (who is scary good as Ethan on Extant, and puts most of the adults to shame) and presumably talented coming out of the womb.  Up to their teenage years, I generally don't perceive a child actor as bad on screen.  Mind you, that's distinct from whether or not I like the character.  I'm rather meh on child TV characters.         

• Love 3

Okay, here are my UO:

6. I never understood the hype w/ Game of Thrones .... until I watched the first episode on On Demand. Then I binged the first season in 2 days. I'm now on S2, and am watching it slowly. It's riveting, IMO.

7. I hate the Kardashian excess, the Honey Boo Boo white trashiness, the Housewives over drama, the spoiled rotten & ill-mannered Bad Girls, the fake Amish shows, John Stewart bashing Republicans, and Lara on Good Morning America

8. I disliked the last few seasons on M*A*S*H as it became all abt Hawkeye Pierce & AA's preaching.

Definitely! GoT is one of those shows that I like to watch whenever HBO has a free preview weekend.

I HATE it too. Seeing all of those kinds of shows on tv makes me want to pull out some of my hair sometimes out of frustration.

Heck ya! I don't mind the last seasons, but I COULDN'T stand Hawkeye during it! Got on my nerves.

I never understood the hype w/  Game of Thrones .... until I watched the first episode on On Demand. Then I binged the first season in 2 days. I'm now on S2, and am watching it slowly. It's riveting, IMO.

That was me, roamyn. I tend not to like shows that most people luuvvvv. Beginning with "Friends," all the way through to "Breaking Bad." I just couldn't get into them. Oh, and "Orange is the New Black." The first episode didn't grab me, and I haven't watched it since.

But Game of Thrones? That's a show that does live up to the hype, IMHO.

• Love 2

That was me, roamyn. I tend not to like shows that most people luuvvvv. Beginning with "Friends," all the way through to "Breaking Bad." I just couldn't get into them. Oh, and "Orange is the New Black." The first episode didn't grab me, and I haven't watched it since.

Felt the same way about Friends too. I watched it from time to time, but it never drew me in like other shows did.

• Love 1

I think it's because kids on TV are told specifically how to play a character--bratty, cute and cuddly, smart-ass, precocious, child genius, etc. Most children aren't experienced enough actors to show any kind of range. The one exception I can think of is Tootie on "Facts of Life"--the roller-skating Tootie of the early years. Yes, she was supposed be the smart-mouthed "too big for her britches" little girl, but the show's producers said that Kim Fields brought a large amount of humor and tenderness to the role that they never expected.

I can see a difference in child actors. Some are able to bring it despite the limited complexity of the script:

• Good: Melissa Gilbert on Little House (who actually was the centerpiece of that show for many years), Raven Symone on The Cosby Show, Landon Gimenez on Resurrection, and Sara Gilbert on Roseanne.

• Cute, but that's about it: most child actors on Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. The Tanner Girls on Full House (a show I loved).
Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

This is part of the downside of the social media age. I avoid spoilers, previews, BTS, much of anything at all, and just take a show in on its merits from what I see on the screen.

GOT isn't the BEST THING EVAR ZOMG, but it's still a pretty good show. Certainly a fully realized world with real characters. A show can become its own victim though, when you have 100 articles pouring in the next day with "here's Dinklage's take on the season ender scene with

." I don't really need that because I watched it myself.

• Love 1

Catching up on some Rizzoli and Isles reminds me that...

I didn't mind Jane being pregnant. It was interesting. And I don't thik a baby ruins a show.

I liked Casey. 

I like when the show is about more than Jane and Maura (Maura can get on my nerves anyway, though Mama Rizzoli can be a bit much.

I miss Frost (not an UO, but I still do).

Hmm...

I liked L&O: CI as much as the mothership and loved Bobby Goren - even if he did seem to know everything.

I am not a huge fan of Olivia Benson on L&O: SVU. She was okay the first few seasons, then went steadily downhill for me as she got more sour/tortured constantly. And I miss that raging douche Elliot Stabler.

On other topics besides L&O...

I never got the love for Maura Tierney as an actress, even though she seemed to get accolades galore. She seemed...average...to me.

I think Mad Men is excruciatingly boring.

I hate any and all reality shows.

Chicago Fire is fast becoming a show I can barely watch thanks to the worship of Gabriela Dawson. I hate her and wish she would die - painfully.

And, last, for now...I don't find Modern Family funny in the slightest and am mystified as to why it has won so many awards.

• Love 3

Reality shows?  I have plenty enough of drama in my own life, why would I want to tune into other people's drama?

So that you can feel superior to them?  That's why I watch them.  :)

Schadenfreude

Misery loves company

Distraction from one's own suckitude

Inertia

Habit

Early onset dementia

Drunken debauchery

I've got nothing but excuses.  ::giggle::

ETA - and because reading the forums is SO much more fun when you know what everyone's talking about; the forums are the best part!

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 8

Chicago Fire is fast becoming a show I can barely watch thanks to the worship of Gabriela Dawson. I hate her and wish she would die - painfully.

From every Chicago Fire thread I've ever been on, that's definitely NOT an unpopular opinion!

• Love 1

Random UOs:

I'm sick of Jon Snow. He bores me. I also had no sympathy or love for Ygritte (though I do like Rose Leslie).

Henry Francis is the only man on Mad Men who doesn't nauseate me.

I will always think Amy Pond was one of the worst companions on Doctor Who. Since when is "waiting" an act of heroism? Likewise, I think Clara is just fine and dandy.

I never got the appeal of Samurai Jack, and never thought the animation was anything to write home about.

Shirley MacClaine's appearance on Downton Abbey was a huge letdown. Her character was uninteresting and did absolutely nothing for me. 

Emily and Julie were both head and shoulders above Rachel on Friends

• Love 1

Reading articles about the upcoming Emmys and who should win and past snubs and such had me thinking of a few UOs:

- I honestly think one of the best comedic performances in the last few years was Dule Hill in Psych, and I'm still sore at the fact he was never recognized for it.

- I watched Modern Family a couple times and ok, it has a couple funny moments, but I don't think it's funny enough to have won as many awards as it has.

- Maybe I need to watch more of it to see past it, but I don't really have an interest in Veep. It's a shame because so many people have praised it and JLD's character is supposed to be a great female lead...but from what I've seen of it, I'm not too impressed. I hope that's something that changes over time, though.

- I don't think it was such a bad thing that Jeff Daniels won last year. Granted, maybe a couple of his fellow nominees deserved it more, but from the reaction it sounded like he didn't deserve the win period, which I don't agree with. 

- While I agree that many of the shows nominated deserve the praise, I grow tired every year of seeing the same shows and people nominated repeatedly. I want some new blood mixed in.

- I would replace any of the nominated Best Comedies with Brooklyn Nine-Nine immediately if I could.

• Love 1

- I honestly think one of the best comedic performances in the last few years was Dule Hill in Psych, and I'm still sore at the fact he was never recognized for it.

+ 100

My other UO, every show finale should end with a lumberjack scene.

• Love 3

I want to like Garrett Dillahunt but his way of speaking and his face just put me off. Sorry, Gar! I'm sure you're a sweetheart but every scene of The 4400 and Burn Notice you were in made me wish I could send you to a speech therapist or get your mouth fixed.

I think she should have wound up alone so no one would be subjected to her vapid, baby-voiced self. (I saw a promo for some Jennie Garth reality show and it was so nice to hear her speaking normally rather than with that affected cutie-pie bullshit she used as Kelly every time a guy appeared.)

I'm not a fan of either Dylan/Brenda or Dylan/Kelly (Brenda and Dylan were fine as a high school relationship, though) -- once he played them both, they should have told him he need not bother taking time to choose between them because they'd make it easy on him by saying neither one wants his sorry ass anymore.

• Love 5

I think she should have wound up alone so no one would be subjected to her vapid, baby-voiced self. (I saw a promo for some Jennie Garth reality show and it was so nice to hear her speaking normally rather than with that affected cutie-pie bullshit she used as Kelly every time a guy appeared.)

This! Season one Kelly was great, though.

Julianne (ER & The Good Wife)  I can't stand her.  Thought on ER she was just annoying character.  That her character did not make much sense when her love left.  She loved him so much but did not go with him?

The kicker was when the actress left ER.  She was offered 5 million dollars to stay IRC.  My friend & I were searching our cars for spare change for gas to last to payday.  She said "not everything is about money and she chose to leave".  I never liked it after that. JMHO

I will always think Amy Pond was one of the worst companions on Doctor Who. Since when is "waiting" an act of heroism? Likewise, I think Clara is just fine and dandy.

This. I could not stand Amy. I hated how she treated Rory (though he did let himself be treated that way). I usually keep this UO to myself since Amy is such a popular companion. I too, like Clara.

I like Heather from Real Housewives of Orange County (as much as one can really like a real housewife), and dislike Shannon.

I am not a fan of Kensi and Deeks on NCIS La. I like each character, but really never wanted them together.

Another UO is that I hate the overuse of "jumped the shark". It seems that with any bad episode of a television show it gets labeled that it jumped the shark, when it could just be one bad episode. Most shows are bound to have a few clunkers. Also, jumped the shark can be entirely different to each person. I may think a show has jumped the shark while someone else thinks it is still great.

• Love 1

That's not the point. The point is people use jump the shark wrong. By definition a show has to be widely-accepted as good or great and then something happens on the show that irrevocably trashes the show itself, again, widely accepted, in order to say it jumped the shark.

Just because a show is running out of steam in its 7th season doesn't mean it jumped the shark. Killing off Alcide on True Blood isn't jumping the shark; it's a product of a messy and lackluster last two seasons, which most agree. Games of Thrones didn't jump the shark by killing off Joffery and lost a great villain. Murder is a political tool on the show. 

People use jump the shark to say, "i didn't like that; the show sucks now."

• Love 3

1.  All of the Kardashians need to fall off the face of the earth - now.

2.  They can take the rest of the famewhores with them - the sisterwives, the Honey Boo Boos, the Bachelors and Bachelorettes, the people who think they can dance, the washed up celebrities who try and dance and pretty much all other reality crap.

3.  Modern Family is no longer funny.

4.  Outlander is a lame bodice-ripper brought to life.

5. Seinfeld and How I Met Your Mother, just not that funny. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1. I loved Jack on Lost . But that could be because of my lust for Matthew Fox.

I'll take it a step further and say I'll take Jack over 'woobie bad boy' racist, vicious (though of course, TV has taught me that it's totally okay to be racist and vicious if you're a snarky bad boy suffering from not-so-secret inner angst!) Sawyer any day. I also hold the UO that Matthew Fox gave a great, underrated performance in what was often a humorless, thankless, hard-to-like role. And as if this isn't unpopular enough...I like Kate a lot more than the far more beloved but smirky, flat, relentlessly bland Juliet. (Though, sadly, I thought pretty much all of Lost's female characters were pretty horribly written). 

Veronica Mars: Not only did I hate absolutely everything about Logan/Veronica as romantic partners (or really as anything more than uneasy frenemies), but I don't find Logan the least bit sexy or appealing.

Modern Family has to be the most overrated sitcom in the history of TV...at least in my odd and unpopular opinion :) Even at its alleged 'best', I honestly just never found anything about it remotely funny, smart or even likable. And I really, truly tried to like it. 

I've developed a severe allergic reaction to some of the most popular Whedon favorites, most notably Alyson Hannigan and Amy Acker. I seriously can't bear to watch or listen to them!   

*whispers* I'm a Jane Austen fan who prefers the much-derided Kiera Knightly movie to the excessively long, comparatively spiritless miniseries version with Colin Firth. And while I'm not generally a Gwyneth Paltrow fan by any means, I actually loved that version of Emma more than any of the more critically acclaimed TV miniseries  and think Jeremy Northam was the perfect Knightley. I'll show myself the door :) 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 6
Veronica Mars: Not only did I hate absolutely everything about Logan/Veronica as romantic partners (or really as anything more than uneasy frenemies), but I don't find Logan the least bit sexy or appealing.

Me, too. Logan was a destructive, self-indulgent, shockingly uninteresting, unrepentant creep. My opinion of Veronica went from 10 to -2 because of that shitty movie, so maybe those two losers are meant for each other. 

• Love 2

Logan was a great character, fun and interesting before the hookup with Veronica. One of the worst parts of the movie was that it scrubbed away all of his fun, interesting characteristics and made him REALLY BORING, so he could be the perfect male companion to Veronica. Piz was more interesting in the movie than Logan was.

The other bad part of the movie was Dick Casablancas. I could rant for days and days about Dick and how much I loathe him, and I hate hate hate that Veronica blamed Madison for her rape more than she blamed Dick even though Dick was the one who urged Beaver to have sex with a passed-out Veronica. HE WAS JUST BEING HIS WITTY BAD BOY SELF.

Person of Interest -- I watched one episode after Carter's death and haven't watched since. It just makes me too sad. I realize that the cornerstone of the show is a white male bromance, but I loved me some Carter, and I loved her relationship with both Finch and Reese. I miss her.

• Love 1

Here's another of my unpopular opinions...

Welcome Back, Kotter:  Though the show, for the most part, doesn't hold up, what I LOVE (aside from dim and adorable Vinnie/Travolta), are the insults. Yes, the insults that the sweathogs give one another and say about Woodman behind his back, because they're real; meaning, that's how high school kids act--they insult their friends, tell them not to be stupid or dumb or joke around, high five each other, whatever.  And they looked REAL. No sculpted/perfect bodies or perfect hair.

• Love 5

Here's another of my unpopular opinions...

Welcome Back, Kotter:  Though the show, for the most part, doesn't hold up, what I LOVE (aside from dim and adorable Vinnie/Travolta), are the insults. Yes, the insults that the sweathogs give one another and say about Woodman behind his back, because they're real; meaning, that's how high school kids act--they insult their friends, tell them not to be stupid or dumb or joke around, high five each other, whatever.  And they looked REAL. No sculpted/perfect bodies or perfect hair.

I agree with most of your post, but no one had more perfect 70's hair than Vinnie Barbarino.

• Love 3

Just because a show is running out of steam in its 7th season doesn't mean it jumped the shark....People use jump the shark to say, "i didn't like that; the show sucks now."

Agreed. Shows actually seldom "jump the shark", IMO. To "jump the shark" a show has to have that one, indisputable moment that was the point of no return. Most long running shows steadily decline and die a natural death. No line of demarcation from great show to bad show, just natural decline.

• Love 6

Agreed. Shows actually seldom "jump the shark", IMO. To "jump the shark" a show has to have that one, indisputable moment that was the point of no return. Most long running shows steadily decline and die a natural death. No line of demarcation from great show to bad show, just natural decline.

I never really watched happy days, is that actually what happened? Was it really good before Fonzie strapped on the water skis, then terrible afterwards?