Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E14: Magic Hour

• Start Topic

Jeremy in the finale.... GAH!!! When he won the first Quickfire in the first episode, I thought "This guy's good, look out for him." Then he kept opening his mouth and he lost me.

• I never noticed until tonight that Marjorie's voice really grates, to me. And the way she pronounces duck a l'orange ... ??? duck alla orange??? It's "DUCK ah-lo-RANHGE"

• I loved Isaac's presentation. The egg thing was cool. But they said something was grainy. And Padma sighed during the final lineup. I knew he was a goner by then.

• Copperfield looked either pissed, bored or skeptical during Amar's presentation. I think he was mad about the lack of showmanship. I loved Amar's story at the end.

Congrats to Amar, way to make the best of LCK and work your way back in. :) Was Gerry Hayden his mentor or something??

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 11

I hate LCK and getting to come back in after being eliminated. I know they still have to compete so it's not like they've just been sitting around and then get to come back at the last minute, but I just don't like the concept. Having said that, go Amar. Of the three remaining contestants, he's my pick for the win now that Isaac is gone.

I didn't see the whole show because I was mostly watching PRAS, but when I didn't see Jeremy at all there towards the end, I was hoping he had gotten ELIMINATED in a quick fire. Instead, I read he won the first quick fire and is that why he didn't have to compete when they were serving Copperfield?

Anyway, anyone but Jeremy FTW. I'll watch the finale or watch AT it, but I'm not uber excited...

• Love 4

Marjorie has a vocal fry. That just struck me tonight. Her pronunciation has always been strange.

I was sure Amar had it after all the dishes were tasted.

Amar for the win!

• Love 8

Amar's heartfelt speech helped to pave his way into the finale. Happy for him, sad for Isaac...

Jeremy has won enough cash and prizes - Amar for the win and Isaac for fan favorite!

• Love 13

I like both Jeremy and Amar and they can both seriously cook so I'm fine with either one for the win.

Sad to say bye to Isaac but when 2 of the judges said his fennel was grainy, I knew that was it for him.

Glad to say bye to Marjorie. I would have hated for her to win this season. But I will say that I'm glad she feels that this competition has given her confidence that she didn't feel she had. Could've fooled me -- I thought she was borderline arrogant the entire season.

• Love 15

Yes please let Jeremy lose. He's such a self-satisfied creep.

I did not like the elimination challenge. I'm not a David Copperfield fan and I didn't like the whole "element of surprise " thing. Top Chef is at its best when the chefs can just cook without any extraneous crap. I'm not interested in watching the chef put on a show. I just want good food.

I'm not against Last Chance Kitchen per se, but there's not much point if the winner doesn't get into the finale, right? But I like Amar and I hope he makes Jeremy the First Loser.

• Love 17

I'm not against Last Chance Kitchen per se, but there's not much point if the winner doesn't get into the finale, right? But I like Amar and I hope he makes Jeremy the First Loser.

They have had LCK 5 times and Amar is only the second after Kristen to make the final two.

• Love 2

David Copperfield looked like he had a large wig on his head.

That's where he hides the doves. 

No one had the nerve to tell Padma that she forgot to put on her dress in the first round?

What happens in Vegas.....

I think Amar not talking up the food actually helped in the reveal. He just needed cheesy magician music and a sexy assistant to back him up.

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 9

On a personal level I would have liked Marjorie and Isaac. But I do like Amar, so I'll be pulling for him. I don't like Jeremy personally that much, but can't deny in the past few challenges he's earned his spot. He seems like a great chef, can't fault that.

On these kinds of challenges, Amar proved delivery trumps the gimmick. He totally failed at showmanship but delivered on the food. Contestants should take note that's usually how it goes.

ETA: Yeah, that OR-ange thing was so, so weird. English pronunciation was very distracting. I know most people haven't studied French, but or-AHNGE is pretty standard in the cooking realm even among the non-francophones. WTH?

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 1

I've been busy in other forums so I haven't participated in this one that much this season, but I just stopped by to say that I have enjoyed this season.  I didn't particularly hate anyone and I liked several chefs.  That said, I was never a big Isaac fan.  I don't know, I don't have anything against him or anything but he was never my favorite.  My favorites were always Marjorie and Amar, and Kwame at least in the beginning.  So I am very happy that Amar won LCK because I love his back story and he gives me the warm fuzzies in general.  Isaac strikes me as a guy with more of a street 'tude, like don't mess with him.  There is anger under that surface and I'm not sure I trust it.  I am sorry for Marjorie, I understand and empathize with her lack of confidence in very competitive environments like that.  I never saw her as anything approaching arrogant.

I realize that this was Las Vegas, but that didn't mean that Padma had to come in her underwear.  I wouldn't be against a slip dress if she looked good in it, but I don't think it flattered her.  And that is hard to do because Padma would pretty much look great in a sack.  At the end judging she and Gail looked like they had spent the whole day by the pool sipping Margaritas and got a little face burn.

I appreciate Jeremy as a good chef but as a person, meh.  To agog at his own greatness.  Go Amar!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

Not sad to see Marjorie go away, I've been hoping for it all season.

Isaac, you were a classy Cajun, I expect good things from him in the future.

Amar made squab. I'm shocked. Not

Gail should never wear her hair back, it was distracting, sad, and evil. And Copperfield looked tucked and waxy, or was he just an illusion?

I like Amar, and his food always sounds great, but I think I might skip the finale. I just have a gut feeling that Jeremy is going to win, and I have no interest in seeing that happen. He was mediocre for a good part of the season, then got the sudden redemption arc, but his entitled bro attitude didn't waver no matter how well or how poorly he did. I don't need to see him smug his way through the finale.

• Love 7

• I never noticed until tonight that Marjorie's voice really grates, to me. And the way she pronounces duck a l'orange ... ??? duck alla orange??? It's "DUCK ah-lo-RANHGE"

I know, it annoyed me too.  I don't get that as a chef she would not be able to pronounce it correctly.   She was under a lot of pressure in this episode and acting quirker I suppose.

• Love 1

That whole dish presentation/showmanship thing was odd. Though the only criticism directed at Amar was for his "lack of showmanship," his presentation was the only one that didn't feel awkward or forced for me. I was a bit surprised that Padma noted Marjorie's great showmanship because Marjorie looked very uncomfortable to me. (And did I see something strange or did Marjorie really start to serve them something like steak and Other Food and then pull it away to finish prepping the duck dish? Did I imagine that??? I cop to some fast-forwarding in this.) And despite a legitimate magic trick, no one looked real at ease with Isaac's bit either. And I guess that's where I have a problem with it: chef's doing "bits" to present their food. I don't know why they couldn't just leave the challenge at a basic element of surprise with the actual dish, something I think all three of them did.

After all the discussion about whether Marjorie is respectful of Isaac and his talent, it was kind of great that they were eliminated together. I also thought it was kind of nice that Amar got to move onto the finale and have his moment alone. Amar for the win!

I really noticed "duck a la orange", too. Odd, for a well trained and experienced chef!

I cannot resist: not very refined! ;-P

Edited by Maysie
  • Love 13

Awwww. So sad to see Marjorie and Isaac go. They had good runs. I really liked all 3 and didn't want to see any go. I haven't liked a top 4 this much since....ever. I don't love Jeremy's personality but he is a good cook.

I found it strange that such an important challenge at this late stage would be based on showmanship and magic tricks. It's not Top Magician, it's Top Chef, people!

I really noticed "duck a la orange", too. Odd, for a well trained and experienced chef!

• Love 2

Thanks to Corgi-ears, I watched the entire episode thinking about Marjorie in assless chaps rubbing her exposed butthole all over the food. Instead, she rubbed her butthole all over the French language. Duck alla ornge indeed.

So glad that Amar returned from LCK and made his way into the finale. No stupid gimmicks from him - just plenty of amazing technique and good food.

Padma in that red slip? Pretty magical for me. Magical and tasty. I would just maybe put Padma in the finale for that trick.

• Love 3

I don't really pay much attention to Fan Favorite voting (the hows & wheres of it), but I did notice tonight they had it down to Issac and Karen.  I get Issac, but how the heck did Karen get more support than Kwame?  Or pretty much anyone else in the final 5? 

Did Copperfield have extra pointy shoulder pads under his shirt?  He struck an odd silhouette to me.

All the food looked great tonight, but I'm definitely pulling for Amar FTW.

• Love 3

If I were Amar, I would have said "My favorite magician is Teller, and he doesn't talk", and then presented the food in silence claiming it was part of the schtick.

Also, I missed who the guest judge was -- Julio somebody -- but he didn't seem to have a lot to say.

Generally, these have been more likable chefs this season (some I liked more than others) compared with the bitch-fest that some previous seasons have given us. I don't think any of the final however many it was since Philip left did themselves any damage by being on the show, and I'd probably watch them if they showed up again/go to their restaurants.  Much nicer season for me.

• Love 6

I missed some of this tonight, but I was very happy Amar came back. For some reason, I was thinking only 1 would be booted off, so I was really surprised when both Issac and Marjorie left. I was waiting to hear Issac's name next, but then they both turned and left. Sadness.

Amar deserves to be in the top. He and Jeremy seem to be on par with each other in terms of cooking style, experience and technique. They seem like fair components.  I just worry that Jeremy has more range in cooking (he won the toast thing) and will beat Amar. 

Thank you.  The vocal fry and "duck a la orunge" were driving me crazy.  Added to my dislike of Marjorie's abrasive personality, and I was thrilled to see her go.  Buh-bye!

• Love 10

I hated seeing the disappointment on Isaac's and Marjorie's face.

Was surprised at me not feeling the 'good for Jeremy' but was happy for Amar.

I think we are being hard on Marjorie for the most part. I can't imagine being on camera and it catching my every move and word. Her comfort zone of cooking changed without anyone seeing her in her off-time mode.

Happy that Isaac is still in for fan favorite. Like Karen too but would have still liked to see Kwame have a chance along with a couple of others.

• Love 2

No one had the nerve to tell Padma that she forgot to put on her dress in the first round?

Ha - I kept thinking why is Padma wearing her negligee .  

Do any of the judges eat at normal places? Grapes with chicken was a revelation?  Hello - people have been putting them in chicken salad for years. 

I'm sad that Marjorie is not in the final.  

They were really whipping up the poor Isaac fan base - it was clear with one cut when Marjorie said something about each of them, but they cut the bit about Isaac out.

• Love 3

I am voting for Karen for fan favorite; I like her!   

The gimmick of doing magic was only for entertainment, they judged the food, as they always do.  

I like Marjorie but she was not polished enough to win.  She was so uncomfortable it took me back!  Mentioning she had never worked with liquid nitrogen and froze her tongue was totally unnecessary!  She was nervous and babbling.  I cringed for her.  

There have been some chefs in the past who I did not like but came to love them, Marcel being one.  If Jeremy drops the frat boy I might come to respect him.  This is a good F2 in that they are both skilled but I give Jeremy the edge.   Come on Amar, you can do this!  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

Do any of the judges eat at normal places? Grapes with chicken was a revelation?  Hello - people have been putting them in chicken salad for years. 

I'm sad that Marjorie is not in the final.  

It wasn't the grapes plus chicken combo, it was the sweet and spicy pickled grapes that were the revelation.  Which is not all that common.

• Love 7

I would have loved to see Isaac in the finale, but I'm fine with the final two. Don't worry Isaac, when I get to NO, I'll be sure to check Toups Meatery out, of that you can be sure. And I live in the DC area so I may actually go to Marjorie's. They will be fine, for sure. Marjorie redeemed herself for me somewhat being respectful of Isaac. They both seemed to really take a lot away from the experience.

I'm not hating on Jeremy. We as parents do the best we can and we fall down. He's probably repeating what he was taught. As a single father, I have much respect. It's clear he adores his child so I will give him a pass. And the Bro-dude thing, whatever. There are worst things. I didn't pay too much attention to him cause I had my favorites, Isaac and Kwame. It's clear he's very talented.

So I'm fine with whoever wins, though I'm rooting for Amar. Love him. At least I'm not actively disliking anyone like Season 2's Ilan or the Texas season Heather(?).

Edited by VintageJ
  • Love 6

Since I feel like Amar got booted for a BS reason, I'm totally fine seeing him back.  Seriously, sudden death quickfires are dumb. 

However, I was shocked that Jeremy went straight to the finals when his food seemed to be third in the judges' appraisals.  I would've preferred seeing any of the other three facing off against each other instead.  He's just a boring chef for me.  And the bro thing does get on my nerves.  Not to mention that Marjorie plated her food so amazingly awesome, something which generally doesn't happen at these 150 buffet challenges.

I felt so bad for Marjorie during her presentation.  That's about how I'm like during public speaking.  But I knew she was done for by then, much to my sadness.

I thought Issac did the best presentation/showmanship.  It was delightful.  I'm happy actually that the storyline of Issac and Marjorie has wrapped up with them getting eliminated at the same time.  This way, it's like -- refinement doesn't win.  Rustic doesn't win.  It really is the best food that wins. 

Team Amar.

• Love 5

I would have loved to see Isaac in the finale, but I'm fine with the final two. Don't worry Isaac, when I get to NO, I'll be sure to check Toups Meatery out, of that you can be sure. And I live in the DC area so I may actually go to Marjorie's. They will be fine, for sure. Marjorie redeemed herself for me somewhat being respectful of Isaac. They both seemed to really take a lot away from the experience.

I'm not hating on Jeremy. We as parents do the best we can and we fall down. He's probably repeating what he was taught. As a single father, I have much respect. It's clear he adores his child so I will give him a pass. And the Bro-dude thing, whatever. There are worst things. I didn't pay too much attention to him cause I had my favorites, Isaac and Kwame. It's clear he's very talented.

ITA. When I host family dinner for Issac, Wife of Issac, Daughters of Issac, RCharter (don't forget diet drinks and loved ones!), et al, Marjorie can come too.

I'm happy with this final. Pretty pretty Jeremy has never really bothered me except when he totally whiffed during RW and the following episode. I thought about this forum, though, when I heard a preview comment asking him if he'll actually be cooking something- or something like that. *g*

Agree with all the comments that, by and large, I liked all the competitors and no one this season was truly offensive or vile. Everyone- even Philip tries too hard- was amicable and, for the most part, very professional.

As for pretty pretty Jeremy's bra-tude: is it a coastal thing? My husband was born/raised in Southeast Florida- all of his tales include fishing, body boarding, fishing, diving, fishing, eating fish, partying, etc. There is very little of him that was not shaped by life lived by the ocean.

• Love 3

Amar and Jeremy are very fine chefs, who have turned out some nice dishes but really nothing special. However, this is, as always, about winning the game they are playing and they each won....so far.

Jeremy cooked a lot of bad dishes towards the end  and managed to survive somehow (especially in Restaurant Wars), which is part of the game, especially since they judge each week on its own. Amar, on the other hand, turned out solid dishes almost every week and was never really close to elimination until he lost by having the least good dish. With the dishes each turned out, they are worthy of being here, even if their personalities are either grating (looking at your Jeremy) or non-existent.

Couple of random thoughts:

1. All the food looked and sounded really good in both challenges so at least they all went out swinging.However, the judges seemed pretty set on which was the most excellent dish among the excellent choices. I was most impressed by Amar's chicken liver dish since that is the ultimate in taking chicken s--t and making chicken salad!

2. The whole episode felt very rushed-I am surprised they did not drag this out over another episode. Very few talking heads, very little drama with the sous chefs (even with another Philip fame whore appearance) and very choppy editing. 

3. They did a REALLY bad job introducing the guest judges...like they just showed up with no into. -Rick Moonen has been on so many times, that I knew him, but it took me a while to realize that it was Julian Serrano, who runs 2 famous restaurants in Las Vegas. I didn't miss Padma's fake gushing, but would have been ok to at least mention their names, Michelin stars etc..

4. They clearly came back with dishes in mind, but I did not get the feeling that they did a lot of "training" for the finals since we did not see any dramatic improvement or changes like in prior seasons. I still remember Hosea suddenly knowing how to make gumbo and IIRC, Mei admitted that she went to "train" with Brian Voltaggio before her appearance in the finals.

5. Do Marjorie and Isaac get any cash for this? I know that Isaac has been saying that it lead to a major pick-up in business, and it will continue with orders for that chicken fried steak, but just wondering if they got any cash.

6. I know that Isaac and Marjorie were disappointed especially after losing on very good dishes, but I did not see the usual big hugs and congratulations from them that we have usually seen at this stage in the past...and even this season. Editing Monkeys at work or are they really not close.

7. Marjorie, enough with the punching!

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 3

I like Jeremy and think he has a creative edge which is important in contests like this. I also thought the episode was a bit rushed and thought there would be a two part finale which is usual. In regard to the showmanship stuff: They all were nervous and I didn't see great showmanship with any of them. Isaac did the egg trick which was cool but when they talked about Marjorie's showmanship I didn't see it at all.

I actually thought the judges wouldn't like her presenting the one dish and then swapping it for another. I thought Amar's plating and smoke and clever presenting was fine. Copperfield looked a bit mummified but he has to be in his sixties right? I saw him a few times in the eighties and he is a very good magician/illusionist. 

• Love 3

I've really enjoyed this season. The chefs have all been pretty good to each other. The challenges have been challenging without being stupid. And the overall talent level has been very high compared to the last few seasons.  It's probably been my favorite season since season six.

I think the two guys were both very deserving of their victories in this episode, and had the other two cooked the best two dishes, I would not have been surprised at all.  

• Love 6

Just, about the recap: I can see why you'd think so, because they've gone out of their way to make it look that way, but Marjorie doesn't currently work with or for Mike Isabella. She's had her own restaurants for years. And frankly, I think they only linked her to him to inject a little drama. She didn't, in her Bravo bio, although when you consider that her resume includes Thomas Keller, Marcus Samuelsson and Jose Andres, you can sort of see why he didn't make the cut.

Not that she didn't give them a fair amount to work with - a good kindergarten should have trained her out of the hitting, and her class consciousness wasn't very attractive - but I think the narrative was also shaped to make her Mikelike, and she played into it because being good TV means you stay longer.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

ETA: Yeah, that OR-ange thing was so, so weird. English pronunciation was very distracting. I know most people haven't studied French, but or-AHNGE is pretty standard in the cooking realm even among the non-francophones. WTH?

Re: duck ala la orange.....I kept thinking it was good she wasn't on Jeopardy with snooty AlexTrebek. She would have left in tears.

• Love 3

David Copperfield looked like he had a large wig on his head.

Because he did.

That whole chef-as-entertainer spiel from Padma bummed me out greatly. This is the emphasis that generates Guy Fieri and Jeff Mauro.  Not the direction chefs should need to take.

I wish I'd paid closer attention to those grapes because it was those grapes that got Jeremy into the finale. Sweet and spicy pickled grapes -- wish I knew how he made that, because I'd love to try to make it and taste it for myself.  Anybody catch what he did to create those grapes?

Edited by FineWashables
  • Love 4

I wish I'd paid closer attention to those grapes because it was those grapes that got Jeremy into the finale. Sweet and spicy pickled grapes -- wish I knew how he made that, because I'd love to try to make it and taste it for myself.  Anybody catch what he did to create those grapes?

That was the worst part of the episode-it was so rushed that I have no idea how they prepared anything. I'd love to know what they did with the grapes and I'd love to know how Isaac got the chicken skin on the steak-did he cook it first and then apply???

• Love 3

why is everybody hating on my top chef husband (well, play thing) jeremy........what's wrong with his personality?  yeah, he has none but who cares...look at that beautiful boy.  he's not pretending to be anything...he is dumb as fuck and pretty as can be....which is fine with me, lmao.  i'd smack that ass and lick that bald head every other thursday, lol.

the magic cooking show:

i guess the magic part in isaac's cooking was that it wasn't cajun....it's not cajun food...TADA!

the magic in marjorie's dish is the missing french pronounciation  of her dish...tada! judges may not admit it on camera, but i'm sure that had a part in deciding who not to move through the finals.......give the french even more reason tohate americans, lol....kidding......sort of.

padma flinching at eggs on her face.....that's a first, lol.

tom was very "dicky" during the quickfire.....always had to have an extra angst about the dishes......was like the arugula moment he had during the texas season.

marjorie and the liquid nitrogen....oy vey.......like watching a child play with a sharp knife.  no gloves, and immediately tasting it, lol.  omfg.  i'm surprised she still have both her hands after that fiasco.

chicken skin in meat, chicken skin wrapping meat.......good god that sounds freaking amazing.

grapes on chicken....that got me curious.

since jeremy did not participate in the main challenge, i wish they would have shown some scenes of him in the jacuzzi ;)

• Love 2

Wow, that show sucked bad. I hate that they eliminated two people. Though after they ran season 2 all day, I should have seen that coming. We didn't need a five part finale like Boston, but they could have gone from four to three. I'm over LCK as well. I mean, I'm glad it was Amar that came back, but now the winner will either be another LCK winner or Dudebro. And I hate Jeremy. Those grapes pushed him in. I guess I'll watch the last minute to see who wins, but other than that I'm done with it. Go Amar! Oh, and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought Padma forgot to get dressed. Satin is a very unforgiving material, and that "dress" made her look very wide.

• Love 3

I would have been fine with any combination of those final four, but still I would have liked to see Marjorie make it into the finals.  Nonetheless, I will be fascinated to see who comes out on top, so to speak!  Jeremy seems to be on quite an improving trend, so perhaps he saved some of his best stuff for the end of the competition? Amar's personality (and having lived in France as a child, his food) appeals to me much more than Jeremy's, but I have to say that Jeremy has been very impressive the past few weeks.  

• Love 3