Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E14: Magic Hour

• Start Topic

I'd way rather see Isaac on PBS, or at worst The Cooking Channel, which still has one or two shows about food and oractically no Bobby Flay.

PBS might be a fun fit!  Or you're right, the Cooking Channel. I think he would work in a variety of situations.  I like Issac a lot, and in no small part because while I find "crazy cajun" funny, I have also seen him tone it down when its time to get to work.  

• Love 1

I hated this challenge....I have never heard that schtick about the card suits and Padma's dress at the start gave me a weird Blanch Dubois/Joan Crawford vibe. I normally don't care about Padma's clevage...at a certain bra size it's going to happen or you have to wear a habit or turtleneck...I also loathe magic (next week are we going to have ventrilloquists? Elvis impersonators? Blue man group?). I have to give the chefs credit...they all seemed to fake enthusiasm for that show. The only magic I saw was somehow coming up with a tie in to what looked like a huge cheese fest (I for example might have gone with rabbit covered in cheese wiz). He told a story with magic so I made Duck a la Orange?

Justin is pretty to look at but I vote Team Amar.

So did any cheftestant / judge / crew look down when Padma dealt those cards for the cheftestants ?  Surely it was hard to maintain eye contact in that situation :D  And for some reason Padma was always between the camera and whatever object/person they tried to shoot :P

David Copperfield looked so weirdly unnatural.

Marjorie's pronunciation of Duck l'orange was oh so unrefined I wonder if she got laughed at when she was in France

I have a strange feeling Jeremy is going to win so I most likely skip the finale :P

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1

I would have loved to see Isaac in the finale, but I'm fine with the final two. Don't worry Isaac, when I get to NO, I'll be sure to check Toups Meatery out, of that you can be sure. And I live in the DC area so I may actually go to Marjorie's. 

Me too :)  Maybe I'll see you at Ripple! 

I'm just glad that Hubert Keller didn't have to be subjected to that butchery.

Now, that would have been a sight to behold, and quite memorable!

Is her failure to pronounce it really any worse than the legions of chefs throughout this entire show who couldn't pronounce "mascarpone" to save their lives?

For me the two are equally "Seriously, chef? Really?" inducing. Both of these, to me, are not examples of, say, an accent, or a regionalism, or anything else like that. It's just plain mispronouncing the term. And for a highly regarded pro, that's weird. It's like if you ran into a surgeon who mispronounced diphtheria. If you're a professional, it's weird to not get it right.

Can they please get rid of that Pack Your Knives and Go, phrase.  It is so condescending for people who are at this caliber.  How about just a simple "It's time to pack your knives."

With trademark you generally need to use it or lose it, and I highly doubt they'll put the kibosh on the catchphrase any time soon. And I doubt the cheftestants find it condescending. It's the schtick of the show. Hell they say it on Masters I'm pretty sure.
  • Love 2

This is meant as no disrespect to Isaac or anyone who likes him but I fail to see what is so special about him and seriously am curious as to why he is so well liked.  I mean, he's not a bad guy or anything but I really don't care about him one way or the other and at times I have even been put off by him a little.  I suppose I haven't always been on board with fan favorites before but at least I could figure out why someone was so popular.  This time I just can't.  Is it just that compared to some of the other contestants he seems more real and less pretentious?  If that's it I could go there, but Amar seems to me to fit that bill even better.  So I still don't get it.  At times like this I think maybe I'm showing my age.

• Love 2

I (and apparently the producers too) just like Isaac's sense of humor.  He could be hilarious without putting other people down.  Plus he has this underdog thing going since he has the least classical training among the top 6 of season 13.

Amar (and Kwame) seem "real" to me too, they are just not as funny as Isaac

• Love 5

It's just a personal preference -- I really, really like Isaac's type of humor. Observational, dry, quick and very witty, can be self-deprecating, exuberant at times of the circumstances in which he finds himself, relatable.

I've really found myself liking the final contenders a great deal, more than other seasons -- Kwame, Karen, Jeremy, Amar, Isaac. Never warmed to Marjorie. I know it sounds lame, but I absolutely hate fighting and ugliness in competitions like this -- just do your thing and cook damn well.

• Love 3

Isaac just sounds like home to me - just like my cousins, f'true! Plus it was an outrage that no native born* Louisiana chefs were cast for Top Chef New Orleans, so I really wanted Isaac to take the title this season.

*Devillier was from Cali and Sichel hailed from New York - both were insufferable.

• Love 1

That's funny, I never noticed Isaac's sense of humor.  I guess I haven't been paying enough attention.  I was kind of ho-hum this season even though I liked more of the chefs overall than in other recent seasons.  I think I've just been watching the show too long.

• Love 1

With trademark you generally need to use it or lose it, and I highly doubt they'll put the kibosh on the catchphrase any time soon.

What evidence do you have that the phrase is trademarked? It doesn't show up in a search of the US trademarks database.

Edited by In Pog Form