Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Jill and Jessa Counting On: A New Chapter

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

The flipfold is awesome, and I am gobsmacked that the Duggars are doing anything awesome.  Mine will even fit in a carry-on.  It folds anything to roughly the same size, and flattens the air out of it so that it takes less room.  You can even do towels and sheets, and stack them all in the cupboard neatly.

Er...mmm... like, maybe I should do an infomercial.  It is certainly the best as-seen-on-tv object I ever bought.

Sheldon uses one on the Big Bang Theory.

• Love 4

I'm confused about what the young men do all day. Besides the intermittent mission trip, has Derrick worked since leaving WalMart? Does Ben go to school full-time? Does he work? My niece just got her master's degree while working full-time and having an active social life. I would snap on my husband if he didn't work or play golf or something.

• Love 8

When I was 23 I got braces for the first time.  The orthodontist said I had the smallest adult mouth he'd ever worked on.  He used child-sized implements.  (Weird, because my mouth doesn't look abnormally small to me.)  All he did to me before the braces was to pull a few teeth out to make room for the others.  Re the comment about fixing your kids' teeth while they're still kids, the first few months I had braces as an adult was the most prolonged period of pain I've ever experienced.  I could barely chew anything for two months.  I cannot imagine having my jaw broken.  Egad.

Morgalisa, I am working a full-time (55-60 hrs a week) job and I'm also a full-time grad student.  It can be done!  It blows my mind that Derrick gave up a job as an accountant for Walmart.  Does he realize what he had?  So many people would kill for that job.  To move to South America with a new wife and a new baby to play missionary.  Dumb dumb dumb.

• Love 8

Kind of wondering what Josh is thinking now. Even if he agreed that his family going public was the best idea bc it would keep the TLC money flowing at least a little longer, it can't feel good to actually watch the public flogging by his family.

What gets me is that he is only 27, yet JB will undoubtedly act like there are no options and he MUST do what JB says. Clearly Josh does NOT want to be married. Not that he necessarily hates Anna, but he obviously wants to be sowing his wild oats -- which he can't do while married. So why doesn't genius just get a divorce? Then -- get a job, or maybe even 2, or a job plus college. I realize these are all foreign ideas to folks who are used to talking to a camera for money. I don't know the status of the molestation case, but I imagine no criminal charges were pressed? Meaning he can pass a criminal background check? Since he's one of the older ones, I am guessing he got a GED rather than just the dining room education. So he can apply to some lower tier college or community college, get a degree in something useful like business, and work a job or two to pay for school while financing the rest thru loans. While he's a tool, I'm pretty sure he could get a job at a car dealership and make some money off of commissions; and could also hold down a second job in retail - anywhere from Home Depot to Target's night stocking shift. Despite all his flaws -- he does seem like he cares about his kids; so he could contribute whatever he can afford in child support, and if JB cares at all about his grandkids -- he could support Anna and the kids for 4 yrs while Josh is in school until he can pay regular child support.

After doing all this, he will only be 31, which isn't exactly ancient. He can live in a small low cost of living town, date and sleep with whoever he wants, visit his kids a few times a year, and he and Anna can go their separate ways as "cordially" as possible given what he did. Then with enough time, his family can include him or not, but at least he will have his own adult life that he will live however he wants to.

• Love 10

Didn't watch, but from the comments I'm reading, these are my thoughts on the girls' messed up reactions - 

the family was brought up in a very sheltered environment, never exposed to "other worldliness".   We have no way of knowing what their level of sexual awareness is/was, or if anything is ever discussed.  They may not have fully realized what was going on when Smugger was doing his molesting, and if they did, I'm sure they would have felt they bore some of the responsibility - after all, this is an insulated world where sisters are the sexual police for their brothers (Nike!), the only way they have to show affection is through sweet voices since they are not allowed to hug in a normal/natural fashion, nor do they really show affection outwardly until they are married.  Since they have grown up being taught how evil the outside world is and with very little exposure to it, they have zero coping skills of any kind to deal with real life intrusions.  Since they have been taught to shun people who deviate from their insular world in any way, they are at a loss for how to handle it in their own family.  Do I hate/shun my brother (as they would everyone else they look down their noses at)?  What part did I play in allowing my brother to sin?  He was sent away after the molestation (finally, we understand the "sin in the camp" rumors) but Jesus didn't fix him, so now what do I do?  Sadly, none of this family will ever get the professional counselling they need. They will only have more brain washings accompanied by the parents and TLC creating their own version of "reality tv."   Sad on every level.

• Love 8

Oh Anna. Did God speak to your heart and tell you to flog Josh on TV?

Ugh. Now she has to be a Christian role model and show everyone how to exhibit unconditional love and forgiveness. I just hope Josh has truly repented and deserves her loyalty.

re: the bolded, I just blew water out of my nose from laughing.

ETA: not laughing in the slightest about Anna's pain or the horrible position she's been put in. Laughing about the ridiculousness of believing Josh has done a damn thing to deserve her loyalty.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 8

I'm just now watching. Stream of consciousness posting ahead lol.

Poor Derrick. I just feel they have really done a number on him. It also seems like he has changed emotionally. It's like he has a very flat affect to his speaking now. There is no light in his eyes anymore, no spark. I also feel like he's turning into Jim Bob. The speech, mannerisms, etc. Ugh. Eta - Yes the more I hear him speak he is becoming JB.

I never noticed the kids' eye colors. Jessa has pretty eyes.

It's interesting to see real emotion from them. It was never really allowed on 19.

I haven't seen Anna yet but saw clips and oh that poor girl. Her eyes are so red.

Edited by Stripper Glitter

Derick and Ben were never my favorite but both had a tiny bit of a spark when they were courting and married. And now that spark is gone. Derick had lived 1-2 yrs in Nepal and was still excited from that experience; not to mention having recently graduated college, gotten a full time job, and courting a girl he liked. Ben -- never the brightest light in the harbor -- but he still seemed excited at times, like when he proposed at that glass church or when he was playing football in that flag football game.

It's been what 1-2 yrs with the Duggars and any spark they had is gone?? There's something in the way JB and Michelle raise kids and expect the family to be. There's something about the isolation that causes this. I think there is something positive about going out and interacting with the world, even if you are fundie. Derick would be better off still at Walmart and Ben would be better off going from his AA to finish at a 4 yr school and working at the insurance company on the side. At least they'd interact with folks at work -- see how other guys their age are; talk about college football around the watercooler; go to lunch with others; hear about others' dating and married lives -- thus getting thoughts/ideas about what they want their family lives to look like. But nope -- instead -- they are isolated from all outside, non-fundie interaction and their lives will look exactly how their wives want them to look which undoubtedly will be in a way that pleases JB so that they can at least keep the TLC flame flickering a bit longer.

• Love 10

re: the bolded, I just blew water out of my nose from laughing.

ETA: not laughing in the slightest about Anna's pain or the horrible position she's been put in. Laughing about the ridiculousness of believing Josh has done a damn thing to deserve her loyalty.

Well, time will tell, I suppose. I am doubtful but I guess stranger things have happened. Personally, I would have given all his stuff to Goodwill and taken my kids to Tahiti or somewhere by now - and on JimBob's dime.

• Love 4

Solidly-agree. I was trying to imagine how I'd feel if I learned my brother had cheated on his wife, and there's just NO WAY I'd be able to shed sincere tears over it. I'd be sympathetic to my SIL of course, and depending on how I learned about the cheating, I might give my brother a piece of two of my mind. I would be disappointed, but not to the point of tears. In general my attitude would be "None of my business - it's between the two of them only..." As I was taught by my parents. The THs shown tonight were definitely coached by Boob, and designed to show that it's pretty clear that the older half of the family believes Josh sank a lot more boats than his own with his little adventures.

My brother did cheat on his wife. Other than to tell him he was an ass, I didn't think twice about it.

It was none of my business.

• Love 16

I wouldn't call Derick ugly. No one can help the genes they inherited from their parents. Having said that, I think he was an attractive young man in college. Don't know what HE IS DOING TO HIMSELF lately as far as his looks and energy level. Yes, his haircut is awful, he has lost way too much weight, I believe from a "Duggar style life" and that unnecessary unfortunate jaw surgery. Looking at him previously, that boy didn't need to have his upper jaw BROKEN in the least. His teeth were not lines up perfectly, but his correction did NOT seem to merit that drastic of treatment. Braces and maybe one or two extractions would have sufficed. He has dark circles under his eyes now, like many of the younger Duggar children have had and have today from lack of rest. The hours this family keeps is insane. Children do not thrive on a 24 hour day...with maybe 4,5 hours of sleep beginning after 11PM., maybe. Derick needs to go home to his mother's house and have some homemade soup, rolls and a piece of homemade cake and mild from mommy....AND GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP, then beg WalMart for his real job back.

• Love 9

I finally finished watching the whole episode. One thing that stood out to me was Jessa and Jinger saying that they used to hang out every day prior to Jessa's marriage. But I'm curious. Doing what? I know Jinger is the designated Duggar driver, but I'm really interested if she and Jessa were allowed to leave the compound on their own and do stuff.

I finally finished watching the whole episode. One thing that stood out to me was Jessa and Jinger saying that they used to hang out every day prior to Jessa's marriage. But I'm curious. Doing what? I know Jinger is the designated Duggar driver, but I'm really interested if she and Jessa were allowed to leave the compound on their own and do stuff.

They probably meant that they sat next to each other on the couch, and stood next to each other when helping grandma with the laundry. And maybe they were mean to Jana together. And now that Jessa is married, she sits next to Ben on the couch.

• Love 15

Why do I have the feeling the older kids were coached on what to say about Josh. Derick and Ben remind me of the two guys from the Dumb and Dumber movies. I also have a hard time believing no one in the family knew what Josh was doing especially JB and Michelle. Bury your head in the sand and just pray it away comes to mind. The um, like, giggle got on my last nerves. I really wonder if the clothes brought was given to the kids in Central America. And really Derick and Jill, you think you can solve the violence in another country. Let me introduce to something I call reality.

I would be REALLY surprised if anyone had any idea what Josh was up to. How could they? I believe their shock was genuine.

I think Ben is so lacking in intelligence that he's truly unable to carry on a conversation, any conversation. He seems as dumb as a rock. Jessa must have had a huge physical attraction for him, otherwise I can't imagine WTH she would have married him. I can't imagine having to live with someone that dumb for the rest of my life.

Poor Derrick needs to hire an attorney and sue the doctor that fucked up his face. I'm serious.

He really is almost unrecognizable! Wow.

ITA that this is how Bin came across. He seems either really uncomfortable being on camera, or hostile to the whole tv show thing. Ever since becoming "famous," most people have been really unimpressed with him, so maybe he's grown to hate the tv thing. Or maybe he's really as big of a downer as his brimstone stuff? 

At one point he said something about being able to "pass the baby off," saying that would be a good thing. And when he was saying that he didn't really want to be in there with Jessa when she was in labor, she immediately jumped in and explained that he would hate to see her in pain. But he didn't actually say that; I got the feeling that he really didn't want to see the whole birth process.

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach ("Shalom in the Home" fame)  said he doesn't watch his wife in childbirth because he only wants to view her "private area" in a sexual way. I wonder if that's what's going on with Bin. He married Jessa because he was desperate for sex with her, and doesn't want his head filled with the images of childbirth.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 7

They were really sort of like work friends or perhaps cell mates.

This is what I called it in my family. And i could occasionally get someone to laugh. Because even people in deep denial will laugh if the joke is accurate enough. Cell mates is exactly what they were.

• Love 7

Recently, we've been getting a few reports and PMs asking us to tone down some of the nastiness directed at the Duggars. An example would be some of the comments made about Derrick's appearance, which he has limited ability to change.

The PTV site administrator has told the mods on multiple occasions that we are not 'the nice police,' and so we generally leave these posts despite the requests to delete or modify them. However, we have decided that we want to make a statement, which is that we'd like everyone to be considerate of your fellow posters. That may mean that you put certain people on ignore because they've got a sense of humor that annoys you, but you're going to live and let live. Or it may mean that you post certain things in the Goofy thread, which is a space for being wilder and more outrageous.

There is a difference between snark and cruelty. Keeping it on the snark level by not succumbing to rage and hate is the way to go on here. The mods do appreciate the fact we have a good group of posters on here. Sadly, the Duggar clan and the scandals can cause many types of emotions to come out. It has been a long hard road on here since the molestation scandal came out in May. The mods would like once again to thank you for your patience and consideration.

It might have been a betrayal to those who call themselves Christian and are leghumpingly invested in your TV show, but I'm pretty sure actual Christians' strength of faith does not depend on what Josh Duggar does. I know you've been TOLD that's how important he is. But he isn't.

Yes in Purgeon On any attack against Josh or any of the Duggars are attacks against Christianity, lol.  They've got to be kidding, I mean if anything their anti-Christian behavior is what is being attacked.  

• Love 5

Jill seems closer to 14 than 24.  Let's not forget that this is the same woman whose response to a marriage proposal was, "totally".

Which made me think if the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.  

• Love 6

Re: the snarkiness over Derrick's apperance - Yeah, Derrick can't help his appearance. And I have sympathy for whatever medical procedures he's going through to fix his bite. (Not sure what's going on there since I haven't been following the story too closely, but from what y'all are saying, he got his jaw broken to realign it? Ouch!) But my general rule is that when you willingly pimp yourself out on television, your looks become fair game for criticism. That's part and parcel of the entertainment industry. And that goes double for when you're on a reality show that doesn't involve any sort of talent whatsoever. TBH I think the snarky comments about the Duggar children's appearances are in a sense ~worse because who can say how much of a choice those kids actually had/have in appearing on the show? Especially if they're still underage. That's not to say that I'm completely innocent when it comes to the latter, although it's something that I try to keep in mind. 

• Love 18

Re: the snarkiness over Derrick's apperance - Yeah, Derrick can't help his appearance. And I have sympathy for whatever medical procedures he's going through to fix his bite. (Not sure what's going on there since I haven't been following the story too closely, but from what y'all are saying, he got his jaw broken to realign it? Ouch!) But my general rule is that when you willingly pimp yourself out on television, your looks become fair game for criticism. That's part and parcel of the entertainment industry. And that goes double for when you're on a reality show that doesn't involve any sort of talent whatsoever. TBH I think the snarky comments about the Duggar children's appearances are in a sense ~worse because who can say how much of a choice those kids actually had/have in appearing on the show? Especially if they're still underage. That's not to say that I'm completely innocent when it comes to the latter, although it's something that I try to keep in mind.

Yeah, Derrick is a grown man who chose to be on the shitshow, I simply see what others are saying about him calling a horse a horse. I do feel bad for him though, he was a decent enough guy back in nepal, it's like marrying a Duggar made him physically less attractive.

Jill, feed your man!

• Love 7

I find it odd that they don't make Derick's orthodontia and surgeries part of their story. I think it would be interesting to hear why he took on this struggle now and as an adult and not a child when these things are usually done. His medical journey might be that most interesting story the Duggars have that isn't steeped in scandal. One of the reasons posters are so tough on him is that we are given no information why he has taken on this project that has so altered his countenance and seemingly his general health too.

• Love 20

I find it odd that they don't make Derick's orthodontia and surgeries part of their story.

I agree, it would be far more interesting than a fifteen minute scene of Jill and Jessa mastering the intricacies of making hot chocolate. I wonder if Derick is self-conscious about his dental issues and that's why they're not going into too much depth about them.

• Love 5

I agree, it would be far more interesting than a fifteen minute scene of Jill and Jessa mastering the intricacies of making hot chocolate. I wonder if Derick is self-conscious about his dental issues and that's why they're not going into too much depth about them.

That was one dumb scene.  "This smells like cow..."  Then they all drank hot chocolate with a plate of fresh fruit, what a weird combo, I never thought of serving those together.  

• Love 6

That was one dumb scene. "This smells like cow..." Then they all drank hot chocolate with a plate of fresh fruit, what a weird combo, I never thought of serving those together.

I thought it was entertaining that they really were saying it smelled like sh*t, but more politely. However, the visuals were tedious.

• Love 2

Derick and Ben were never my favorite but both had a tiny bit of a spark when they were courting and married. And now that spark is gone. Derick had lived 1-2 yrs in Nepal and was still excited from that experience; not to mention having recently graduated college, gotten a full time job, and courting a girl he liked. Ben -- never the brightest light in the harbor -- but he still seemed excited at times, like when he proposed at that glass church or when he was playing football in that flag football game.

It's been what 1-2 yrs with the Duggars and any spark they had is gone?? There's something in the way JB and Michelle raise kids and expect the family to be. There's something about the isolation that causes this. I think there is something positive about going out and interacting with the world, even if you are fundie. Derick would be better off still at Walmart and Ben would be better off going from his AA to finish at a 4 yr school and working at the insurance company on the side. At least they'd interact with folks at work -- see how other guys their age are; talk about college football around the watercooler; go to lunch with others; hear about others' dating and married lives -- thus getting thoughts/ideas about what they want their family lives to look like. But nope -- instead -- they are isolated from all outside, non-fundie interaction and their lives will look exactly how their wives want them to look which undoubtedly will be in a way that pleases JB so that they can at least keep the TLC flame flickering a bit longer.

Too bad Ma and Pa Duggar didn't get cast as Dementors in the Harry Potter movies. No rehearsals needed. 

• Love 7

I find it odd that they don't make Derick's orthodontia and surgeries part of their story. I think it would be interesting to hear why he took on this struggle now and as an adult and not a child when these things are usually done. His medical journey might be that most interesting story the Duggars have that isn't steeped in scandal. One of the reasons posters are so tough on him is that we are given no information why he has taken on this project that has so altered his countenance and seemingly his general health too.

Yet another failure on the part of the TLC production team. Lame with a capital lame. Derick is clearly undergoing something major, yet they seem to be going out of their way to avoid addressing it. When people don't have actual facts, they tend to have a lot of questions, and ultimately make up their own answers. And the imagined "facts" are almost always much more colorful than the dull old truth. Just fess up, Derick and TLC. End the speculation. Is Derick actually sick? Is the whole thing primarily cosmetic in nature? Is this something Jill has perhaps been pestering him to do? Is it something Derick finally has the $$ to pursue now? Is further surgery/treatment expected down the road? And most puzzling to me - why did Derick start down this path and then turn around within mere weeks and announce that the family was leaving the country to do mission work? This makes no sense whatsoever, and is where it probably becomes dicey for the Duggars. I believe Derick started his medical procedure - whatever the heck it is - with no intention to do mission work outside the US at anytime soon, but then was canned at WalMart, again for whatever reason.

• Love 5

I think Derick is self-conscious about almost everything. As best we can tell, he's even needed the involvement of parents/other adults to interact socially with the opposite sex - as an adult himself. He's on TV now, and he knew he would be if he married Jill. He should have realized that the whatevers of his life would be of interest to the viewing public. And that he wouldn't be the one to decide which factors. If he is so self-conscious that he can't speak truthfully - and briefly - about it, he should remain off-camera. Derick and the Duggars are trying to have it BOTH ways. "Come watch us smell hot chocolate, shop in thrift stores and bench-press our six-month old. But this issue here? Derick's jacked-up face that you just noticed? Pay no attention to that whatsoever. We're not willing to discuss this and want this to remain private..." Sorry but it just doesn't work that way. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 15

I wonder why he did the surgery a day after Iz was born. That seems pretty harsh to be out of commission just after the birth when you want to bond and help your wife. He would be of no use.

IIRC, Israel was born late. Derick may have scheduled the surgery months in advance figuring he'd be in halfway decent shape by the time Jill delivered. Then Jill went past her due date and needed a c-section, throwing off the plan. If his oral surgeon was booked solid, he may have had no choice but to stick with the original date.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

He probably bought with the in place lines so he'd have a guideline for how to fold it when his wife wasn't around to tell him.

Fear not, Derick. Your wife is always around...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 9

I doubt Papa Duggar would approve a story line that didn't involve a Duggar or a Duggar baby being born. 

• Love 2

I wonder why he did the surgery a day after Iz was born. That seems pretty harsh to be out of commission just after the birth when you want to bond and help your wife. He would be of no use.

They said he got the braces the day after Izzy was born, but had the jaw breaking a month later.

Remember that Izzy was two weeks late, and Derick probably had that appointment lined up well in advance. I doubt that he could reschedule such a major appointment with such little notice.

I just don't get how he can do this and go to Guatemala for supposedly months on end. Don't the braces need to be adjusted every month? I know mine did.

• Love 3

I just don't get how he can do this and go to Guatemala for supposedly months on end. Don't the braces need to be adjusted every month? I know mine did.

Mine did as well. I'm sure they have orthodontists in Guatemala, but Derick's is a really extensive, complicated case. It's not like he simply has crooked teeth that need minor tweaks. At this rate, he's going to have braces til he's 50.

• Love 1

Mine did as well. I'm sure they have orthodontists in Guatemala, but Derick's is a really extensive, complicated case. It's not like he simply has crooked teeth that need minor tweaks. At this rate, he's going to have braces til he's 50.

I think Derick began his procedure fully expecting to be in the US the whole time. The whole 'going-to-do-mission-work-in-Guatemala' is a hurriedly-contrived result of being canned at WalMart, and of course - the Adventures of Josh.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 9

I think Derick began his procedure fully expecting to be in the US the whole time. The whole 'going-to-do-mission-work-in-Guatemala' is a hurriedly-contrived result of being canned at WalMart, and of course - the Adventures of Josh.

I still believe they're avoiding something. Or someone.

I'm also wondering if and when they'll be sneaking back into the US for a few days for Christmas. Maybe they can cram in an orthodontist appointment while they're here.

• Love 5

I'm also wondering if and when they'll be sneaking back into the US for a few days for Christmas. Maybe they can cram in an orthodontist appointment while they're here.

Yes, this could be true as well. Although they've made so many return trips to the US, I can't what it might be that they're hiding so sporadically from. At this point if they're trying to avoid a subpoena or whatever, the server should just hang at the airport. Eventually the Dillards will be shuffling through. 

• Love 1

Remember that Izzy was two weeks late, and Derick probably had that appointment lined up well in advance. I doubt that he could reschedule such a major appointment with such little notice.

People bail on surgery at the last minute all the time. I don't buy that.

Since their ministrycation is a non-profit - will it's 2015 taxes be public record? I suppose it's also possible Derick has some kind of scandal in his closet - not gross stuff like Josh, but stuff they don't want out. Maybe why he really left his job.

I'm also wondering if and when they'll be sneaking back into the US for a few days for Christmas.

Of course. They need footage. Jill will either come home to announce a pregnancy, or have some kind of pregnancy emergency that requires a two week stay in Arkansas. A vacation from their vacation.

At this point if they're trying to avoid a subpoena or whatever, the server should just hang at the airport.

You'd think their passports reentering the US would trigger a computer flag, somewhere.

Pickles posted a picture from the special - Derick is laying in a hospital bed, eyes closed, hooked up to a vent(? cant see clearly), while Jill stands in the foreground, holding Izzy, beaming a gummy smile. It's just..so..off. I'd post it here but won't run afoul of the mods.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 5

I think doing a reality show opens a person up to scrutiny and and puts them in the line of snark. But I don't believe they then owe anyone more than they want to give about their personal lives. It's a fine and hard line to walk, but the're allowed to keep stuff private.

• Love 5
Solidly-agree. I was trying to imagine how I'd feel if I learned my brother had cheated on his wife, and there's just NO WAY I'd be able to shed sincere tears over it. I'd be sympathetic to my SIL of course, and depending on how I learned about the cheating, I might give my brother a piece of two of my mind. I would be disappointed, but not to the point of tears. In general my attitude would be "None of my business - it's between the two of them only..." As I was taught by my parents. The THs shown tonight were definitely coached by Boob, and designed to show that it's pretty clear that the older half of the family believes Josh sank a lot more boats than his own with his little adventures

I think the girls being THAT upset about Josh's infidelity wasn't about the infidelity itself. I think it was more about the fact that they had JUST gone on TV sticking up for him. Obviously we have no knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes. But I think those girls are coached/pressured to do a lot. They were molested by their brother, and I have no doubt they were taught that they were somehow at fault for this. They were told they not only must forgive him, but also continue to live in the same house as him. I bet their psyches were not largely considered in the aftermath. But the years went on, and they dealt with it as best they could. Then the whole sordid story comes out. And, likely with a bunch of external pressure, they go on national TV and try and explain away his problems and let the world know he is still a good man. Then in a matter of weeks a bunch of other nasty things start coming out about him. It's not just that he had an affair. He was seeking an affair on a tawdry website. His bio sounded vastly different from the person he presented himself as. Rumors of porn stars and assaults start flying. And here they were just defending him. Honestly, I think they are likely hurt and angry. Their brother made them look like fools. 

• Love 17

I wouldn't call Derick ugly. No one can help the genes they inherited from their parents. Having said that, I think he was an attractive young man in college. Don't know what HE IS DOING TO HIMSELF lately as far as his looks and energy level. Yes, his haircut is awful, he has lost way too much weight, I believe from a "Duggar style life" and that unnecessary unfortunate jaw surgery. Looking at him previously, that boy didn't need to have his upper jaw BROKEN in the least. His teeth were not lines up perfectly, but his correction did NOT seem to merit that drastic of treatment. Braces and maybe one or two extractions would have sufficed. He has dark circles under his eyes now, like many of the younger Duggar children have had and have today from lack of rest. The hours this family keeps is insane. Children do not thrive on a 24 hour day...with maybe 4,5 hours of sleep beginning after 11PM., maybe. Derick needs to go home to his mother's house and have some homemade soup, rolls and a piece of homemade cake and mild from mommy....AND GET A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP, then beg WalMart for his real job back.

Dark circles are often a symptom of allergies, especially on turbo-Caucasians like Derick and myself. I have them even when well-rested. Maybe his allergies are much worse in NWA and/or Central America than they were when we first "met" him in Nepal.

• Love 2