Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Jill and Jessa Counting On: A New Chapter

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

I agree.  As beta-y as he is (IMO, Derick's time at OSU not in mascot costume partially involved him being made fun of as one of those geeky overly involved Christian wimps), I think he does want to do right by Jill and his family and he does occasionally show teeth.  His quote of 'there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed' this episode was clearly aimed in Josh's direction.

Oooooh, such a tough guy. I hope Triple D remembers this when it's his turn in the spotlight. Cell phone video is forever, Triple D. And it's a matter of time before you screw up again.

I'm fairly sure he was invited to leave Wal-Mart due to absenteeism and also told that the company would release a statement that it was a mutual decision.

• Love 4

I think Toodles was answering the other poster's lament that they needed to find a new hobby...offering up an alternate hobby.

If I remember correctly, Toodles asked a mod to move that post if it was in the wrong place. Seemed clear to me at the time. Still does, imho.

Toodles, ON 15 DEC 2015 - 7:45 PM, SAID:

My hobby is crocheting baby blankets for needy kids. Off topic I know, I taught myself from YouTube. Please move this mods, if you think it's appropriate. Merry Christmas everyone.

ETA I assumed Toodles wanted to start an OT conversation.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

So I get the feeling reading here that everyone thinks this is a lead -in for the Duggars getting back on the air like before except without Joshie. So I guess the meaning of "counting on" has as much, if not more, to do with "counting on getting back on tv as a regular series" as it does with the Duggar girls producing another generation of kiddos. I just got so bored by the few minutes I saw of this.

I don't think it was a lead in, i think it happened, this show was as much about Jessa and Jill as I am a WWE wrestler. There was some filler stuff about Jessa and Jill, but this special was about Josh, and creating distance from him so they could have their show back. (Ps I don't want you to think I'm arguing with you, I actually agree, I'm just being extremely sarcastic about it).

• Love 9

I don't think it was a lead in, i think it happened, this show was as much about Jessa and Jill as I am a WWE wrestler. There was some filler stuff about Jessa and Jill, but this special was about Josh, and creating distance from him so they could have their show back. (Ps I don't want you to think I'm arguing with you, I actually agree, I'm just being extremely sarcastic about it).

I'm sure TLC knows and has known for some time that virtually nobody would really want to watch very much of a series about the Jill and Jessa families. Their boringness positively screams. But TLC also knows that there are enough leghumpers who love their fantasy of the whole Duggar fam -- plus a side of hate watchers who love their vision of the whole Duggar fam -- to sustain a niche show for at least a while. And since every show today is a niche show pretty much, that's fine with them. So...pretend you're doing a show that leaves Jim Bob, Michelle and Josh behind -- to placate their detractors -- fill the show up with many other members of the mega-family that fans project their wishes onto, and when you get millions of people watching, take it as a sign that the detractors can safely be told to go suck an egg. Everything on schedule and proceeding as planned, looks like.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

Yep. I've been calling it 19K&C Rebooted since before the air date.

So, leighroda, does this mean you're not a WWE wrestler? :-)

Nope, Sorry to burst your bubble.

I actually happen to be related to a leg humper, but I don't know her well enough to pick her brain about it, I just met her this last year. She's my moms cousin, I'm not sure what that makes her to me (I think she would be my 2nd cousin?) but when the scandal broke I would see where she would post on their Facebook that she hoped they would come back, but in her defense she does have an actual mental deficiency (I don't know what exactly)... So. Don't really blame her so much for being a leg humper.

I think tlc knows exactly what they are doing, I have a theory that they are running these special episodes knowing the ratings would likely be high with many people tuning in to snark/watch the train wreck... Which would possibly justify them in bringing the show back, they could say "but look at these ratings, the people want them back on". Without the scandal the show was already on its last leg, and I think if the show truly focused on Jill and Jessa the ratings would have bombed for this special. If I wanted to watch people put on a bed skirt (and be weirdly confused about it, it's not like they were folding a fitted sheet) I would...well... I don't know what I would do, because I have absolutely no desire to do it... It's so boring that there literally is not a way to exclusively watch people putting on a bed skirt.

Btw... I forgot a detail that annoyed the crap out of me, when they were in the thrift store allegedly getting stuff for Jill to get back, I'm pretty sure they got more for Jessa than the kids for Jill to take. Especially when they were talking about the white onesies, first of all... That's just ridiculous, when does putting white on a baby ever seem like a great idea. I get a couple to coordinate outfits and what not, but not primarily. Second, it is not expensive to just buy a pack at target or Walmart , they could have sent them all to Central America, or even bought a couple packs to send for that matter.

• Love 1

I always figured the first special would get great ratings, but hopefully TLC is waiting to see how the future specials do. I suspect there may be a spectacular drop-off of viewers, given how boring the first one apparently was.

• Love 3

I knew she had cancer, and was concerned that she was not yet looking a iittle more fit.  It's been 2 years since J and D married and I thought she might have a healthier look about her by now.  It concerns me, because, apparently unlike Jill, I do care for those who undergo massive health issues.

I feel like fundie logic says if you get something like cancer, you're at fault.

I mean, maybe not "cancer" per se, but there are some things that even more "moderate" non-Gothard fundies, think are the result of saddling you with unconfessed sin.  

Which, aside, is one reason why I don't think Michelle is on Xanax, because I don't think fundies allot for mental illness either.  I feel like either they think you're supposed to be able to voluntarily pull yourself up by your bootstraps or jolly yourself out of depression or similar, and that they'd rather see you quietly have a nervous breakdown, than put SSRI's into you.  Why the selfsame people don't think the same it's-a-sinner's-fault thing about flu and colds I don't know; but maybe they do, secretly.  Maybe those are part and parcel with menstruation being "Eve's curse"; just on a smaller level.  Transient blips caused by viruses are different than implying that God would make someone's brain "wired wrong" which can't pass in 2 weeks, or something.

• Love 2

I recall watching in fascination as one of them (Jill or Jessa,can't recall) -- during the special -- was getting very emotional, and doing that, "crying without tears" thing, when she whips out a tissue, puts it up under her eye, and pushes up to wipe away......nothing. I don't know why it captured my attention. Maybe it was the intense amount of pressure it seemed to me she was exerting in her effort....or maybe I've never seen anyone push up into their [dry] eye like that, trying to squeeze out at least one little tear.

I call this "the Casey Anthony cry." She used to do it at press conferences while her lawyer spoke and at her trial. No tears, just pushing up against her bottom eyelid with a tissue (so as to also not mess up her eye makeup).

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 9

I call this "the Casey Anthony cry." She used to do it at press conferences while her lawyer spoke and anther trial. No tears, just pushing up against her bottom eyelid with a tissue (so as to also not mess up her eye makeup).

Michelle does it all the time. Notably in the Kelly interview.

• Love 2

IMO, the fundie 'logic' really struggles with the reality that life is random, and bad things can happen to the undeserving. I think they hang with a death grip onto the concept, 'if something bad befalls you, it happened because you either did or failed to do what you were supposed to do." Building one's whole life around religiosity can afford a false sense of security, I.e., 'that will never happen to ME because I'm doing everything right. For Jesus.'

Also think these simplistic, literal, black vs. white mentalities struggle with recognizing mental illness. Besides, whatever is wrong, Jesus will fix it, so long as a person believes and prays hard enough. No need for any of that dangerous secular counseling.

The fundies seem to be at about a elementary school level of maturation, IMO.

And I suspect a lot of really super-fundie heads of families (Jim Bob comes to mind, and possibly Michelle as well) also have serious personality disorders (as well as arrested development). (which is why they're attracted to the fundie view) This black-and-white thinking and blaming people for illnesses (either the sick person or another family member, for example) is very typical of people with severe personality disorders. The personality-disorder sorts don't blame themselves for illnesses that they get, however, only others. .... Which is why I think that Michelle could very likely be on some prescriptions. Josiah or Jana (or Cathy Dillard) might be to blame if they got an illness. But Michelle wouldn't be to blame for hers. Rules don't apply when you're a massive narcissist or whatever. She'd just be doing what's necessary to look good for the teevee.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

I feel like fundie logic says if you get something like cancer, you're at fault.

I mean, maybe not "cancer" per se, but there are some things that even more "moderate" non-Gothard fundies, think are the result of saddling you with unconfessed sin.  

Which, aside, is one reason why I don't think Michelle is on Xanax, because I don't think fundies allot for mental illness either.  I feel like either they think you're supposed to be able to voluntarily pull yourself up by your bootstraps or jolly yourself out of depression or similar, and that they'd rather see you quietly have a nervous breakdown, than put SSRI's into you.  Why the selfsame people don't think the same it's-a-sinner's-fault thing about flu and colds I don't know; but maybe they do, secretly.  Maybe those are part and parcel with menstruation being "Eve's curse"; just on a smaller level.  Transient blips caused by viruses are different than implying that God would make someone's brain "wired wrong" which can't pass in 2 weeks, or something.

Gothard absolutely does teach that health problems including cancer are caused by sin. I know not all of his followers believe that, but it's horrifying that he teaches it.

• Love 4

Gothard absolutely does teach that health problems including cancer are caused by sin. I know not all of his followers believe that, but it's horrifying that he teaches it.

WTF isn't Josh in stage IV cancer, then? My lord.

• Love 4

I'm appalled, but not surprised.

The reason why I thought of it is, I feel like I've thought it before, about more mainstream evangelical family members with chronic conditions dating from childhood, whose "fault" the conditions couldn't possibly be.  I feel like they've been conflicted about having said conditions, without actually coming out and stating "this is from suppressed sin".

IMO, the fundie 'logic' really struggles with the reality that life is random, and bad things can happen to the undeserving. I think they hang with a death grip onto the concept, 'if something bad befalls you, it happened because you either did or failed to do what you were supposed to do." Building one's whole life around religiosity can afford a false sense of security, I.e., 'that will never happen to ME because I'm doing everything right. For Jesus.'

Also think these simplistic, literal, black vs. white mentalities struggle with recognizing mental illness. Besides, whatever is wrong, Jesus will fix it, so long as a person believes and prays hard enough. No need for any of that dangerous secular counseling.

The fundies seem to be at about a elementary school level of maturation, IMO.

I used to peg the Duggars with junior high or early high school maturation levels - Boob & Me-chelle included. But in the last few years, I've amended my thinking. I was giving them too much credit. IMO, none of them have passed elementary school in the maturity department. Ten, eleven years old tops. When I was teaching fours, fives and sixes, I learned there was one sure-fire way to get the kids to laugh. And I'm talking cracked-up belly-laughing. Just stand in the front of the group, get their attention and then say, quietly and clearly, one of three words. Toilet, booger or underwear. Any of these would do it and with kids this small, it's really fun. After a while it became a way to settle the group - eventually - because in the middle of a noisefest, some brave soul would invariably yell - "Mrs Wellfleet, say booger to us!" No kidding - LOL. Anyway I have often thought of this while watching 19Kids and believe that - despite the huge age difference, Boob, Josh and the rest of the Duggar boys probably have the same reaction to "booger."

I believe he teaches it - because he's insane - but then why do the sick fundies still see doctors, undergo treatment etc? If God caused them to be ill, isn't God the only person who can cure them? And there's that pesky logic that keeps on popping up...

• Love 8

I believe he teaches it - because he's insane - but then why do the sick fundies still see doctors, undergo treatment etc? If God caused them to be ill, isn't God the only person who can cure them? And there's that pesky logic that keeps on popping up...

Er, because that's the way they show they're not like the "crazy unreasonable Christian Scientists"?

... Other than that, I got nothin'.

• Love 3

I agree, it would be far more interesting than a fifteen minute scene of Jill and Jessa mastering the intricacies of making hot chocolate. I wonder if Derick is self-conscious about his dental issues and that's why they're not going into too much depth about them.

IIRC, Derick's mom is a widow and has been for some time. I imagine as a single mom who had to reenter the workforce if she'd been a stay at home mom and she's also in poor health...it's not hard to "do the math" and braces didn't figure in particularly if it was a choice between braces or colege.

Derick's college education gave me hope that he'd be able to open Jilly Muffin's eyes and she'd start to question some of this lunacy she's been taught...but it looks like he fell into a vat of their Kool-Aid and has totally joined the circus.

• Love 3

I think so much of being willing to "buy" this type of belief springs from pure fear - the kind that attracts people to these very rigid belief systems in the first place. It 's all about deluding yourself into thinking you can control the chaos that is reality. I almost had to smack my stepson awhile back when he was certain The Secret was the answer to life. He was parroting some of their teachings that assert you can avoid illness through correct thinking and mindset. Unfortunately, he kind of forgot I was undergoing chemo at the time. Deeply annoying. But he had a very chaotic upbringing and craves structure and security. I gave him a pass.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 8

Derick's mom seemed to have a long successful career at Wal Mart before she branched into consulting.  She's also remarried.

I would hazard to guess that the boys received survivor benefits until they reached 18 or 21 as well.

• Love 3

I think Derick began his procedure fully expecting to be in the US the whole time. The whole 'going-to-do-mission-work-in-Guatemala' is a hurriedly-contrived result of being canned at WalMart, and of course - the Adventures of Josh.

He was canned from Wal-Mart?  I thought he resigned to do missions work.

Sorry -- I'm caught up in my reading now, and found you had already answered this!

Ignore, please. :)

Edited by OhioMom

Proof TLC could give a shit less about the content of their programming:

I watched in horror a 4 year old episode of Extreme Couponing the other night where one of the couponers taught her coupon fraud ways (teaching how to use a coupon for one prioduct on another by reading the family coupon code )and another couponer who used fraudulant coupons that never did come from a company but from some's computer. Showing this unethical behavior is nothing to TLC. All the complaining and pointing out of coupon misuse my friends and I sent to TlC did nothing......same with the Duggars. The Duggars are a draw and they aren't going to stop showing them in one way or another. We will have years of watching their "specials" because TLC truly doesn't care about content just their ratings.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 5

The personality-disorder sorts don't blame themselves for illnesses that they get, however, only others. .... Which is why I think that Michelle could very likely be on some prescriptions. Josiah or Jana (or Cathy Dillard) might be to blame if they got an illness. But Michelle wouldn't be to blame for hers. Rules don't apply when you're a massive narcissist or whatever. She'd just be doing what's necessary to look good for the teevee.

THIS. No doubt here that Meeeechelle is on medication, likely xanax. If the medicine is to help her look good for the teevee, imagine how she would look without it. Phonies, all of them.

• Love 5

A relative of mine joined a rather new evangelical cult many years ago. She was told that sin causes illness, so illness is the victim's fault and might be prayed away if the sufferer is worthy in god's eyes. However, as the years went on, the esteemed, perfect leaders of the church and their families got the usual maladies that we sinners get, prayed like crazy, had operations and treatments, and sometimes died. After having all the members look up to these perfect perfect people and seeing how human they were, the church had to tone down its doctrine about sin and illness in case somebody came out of blissful haze long enough to notice the illogic of it all. 

This same church also started with a salvation by grace alone idea and liked to say that Mother Theresa thought her charity work would get her to heaven but she was wrong. Then the cult discovered the tax and income advantages of running a charity, so grace got kicked aside by charity because grace doesn't fill the coffers as well as charity donations do. 

I wondered how members dealt with these abrupt turnarounds. Memory is short, fortunately. Most deny that the early doctrines were ever taught to them, and these contradictions are simply false stories from their satan-loving critics. Group think and the desire to belong is powerful. 

The Duggars live in a world of cognitive dissonance, but in some ways, it's a very flexible place. Settle on the current explanation the headships have decided, blame outsiders and the devil for trouble, keep your thinking focused, and move on. Stuff down and pray away those uncomfortable feelings until they're gone. We can see how well this is working for the Duggar children, of course.

• Love 11

I wondered how members dealt with these abrupt turnarounds. Memory is short, fortunately. Most deny that the early doctrines were ever taught to them, and these contradictions are simply false stories from their satan-loving critics. Group think and the desire to belong is powerful. 

Because the leaders usually say they had a vision, sent by God.  Or they were visited in a dream.  Hell, the modern Mormon faith is built on exactly that concept, as "shown" to Joseph Smith. 

Anything can be explained, justified or bolstered by the proper visitation by an otherworldly entity. 

• Love 10

This could explain reactions to her miscarriages. SHE was to blame.

Well, she and Boob blamed their first miscarriage(of J'Caleb) on the birth control pill, after a doctor told them that it could have that effect--even though it doesn't--which is why they decided to "let God give us as many blessings as He wants."

Edited by smittykins

A relative of mine joined a rather new evangelical cult many years ago. She was told that sin causes illness, so illness is the victim's fault and might be prayed away if the sufferer is worthy in god's eyes. However, as the years went on, the esteemed, perfect leaders of the church and their families got the usual maladies that we sinners get, prayed like crazy, had operations and treatments, and sometimes died. After having all the members look up to these perfect perfect people and seeing how human they were, the church had to tone down its doctrine about sin and illness in case somebody came out of blissful haze long enough to notice the illogic of it all. 

This same church also started with a salvation by grace alone idea and liked to say that Mother Theresa thought her charity work would get her to heaven but she was wrong. Then the cult discovered the tax and income advantages of running a charity, so grace got kicked aside by charity because grace doesn't fill the coffers as well as charity donations do. 

The Duggars live in a world of cognitive dissonance, but in some ways, it's a very flexible place. Settle on the current explanation the headships have decided, blame outsiders and the devil for trouble, keep your thinking focused, and move on. Stuff down and pray away those uncomfortable feelings until they're gone. We can see how well this is working for the Duggar children, of course.

Good post.  Organized religion with hundreds of years of history has gotten us in enough trouble over the years, I can't uniformly trust a "lay-led church".  Too many opportunities for people to be interpretive well- (and not-well) meaning idiots.  Has Henry VIII taught us nothing??

• Love 8

Because the leaders usually say they had a vision, sent by God.  Or they were visited in a dream.  Hell, the modern Mormon faith is built on exactly that concept, as "shown" to Joseph Smith. 

Anything can be explained, justified or bolstered by the proper visitation by an otherworldly entity. 

Yep, people in power in hierarchal religions have a direct line to God, so they must be obeyed by the hoi polloi. He who hears the rules makes them. Also, there's a bible verse to cover just about everything, and in the church I mentioned, people were told what a bible passage meant and when it should be used and then memorized it. Their bible study changed according to what members "needed" to believe. I'm sure the Duggars rely on these study guides, especially since they can barely read modern English much less the 16th century KJV language.  That's why some of the verses the Duggars trot out for a situation don't seem to make sense to many of us. The verses mean only what the church tells them they mean. 

• Love 5

I made myself sit down and re-watch this mess last night after reading all of the comments.  One thing that really stood out to me was their consistent misuse of the word  "whenever".   Every single time they used it, the correct word would have been  "when".  Such as  "whenever we found out what had happened"   Drove me bonkers. 

Not only do the two newly married young kids have no real relationship with their spouse, they all sat around unable to converse amongst one another.  It was like they were all strangers...so uncomfortable.   How do you marry someone without even being able to hold a conversation with them?  How do you conceive a child with someone that you don't even really know?  I'm seriously confused by the dynamics of it all. 

ETA: Ben is an idiot who looks completely over Jessa and the entire situation he finds himself in.  I think he was so excited to  "have sex"  with a real female that all logic went out the window.  It probably wasn't all that he had imagined it to be, and now he's stuck...with a baby on the way... a wife who expects to be a princess....no income....and a father in law who calls all the shots.  Pretty shitty decision making, Ben.  This is what happens when you are so short sighted - you completely miss the big picture.  Good luck with that. 

Edited by tabloidlover
  • Love 14

I would like to see the scene where Jessa has to spit out the name Spurgeon Seewald on camera--and own it. I'm sure she planned to call the little guy Quincy--that might have been the Duggar-Seewald deal to approve that name--but after taking heat on social media for the name choice, Jessa pretty much has to call him Spurgeon now in public. So, Jessa, Spurgeon away and look happy while you do it. 

• Love 7

I don't even understand why they went to a store, thrift or not, to purchase clothing for CA. For that tiny amount of clothing, why not contribute to the local economy, even if it is Walmart? I only watched about 1/2 and hour but I wonder if TLC is no longer creating fake scenarios for them.

• Love 6

I don't even understand why they went to a store, thrift or not, to purchase clothing for CA. For that tiny amount of clothing, why not contribute to the local economy, even if it is Walmart? I only watched about 1/2 and hour but I wonder if TLC is no longer creating fake scenarios for them.

The Duggars seem to live by the oft-used "It's the thought that counts" philosophy, which I think is total bullshit. They had the "thought" to be helpful, kind, or charitable, but then follow through with the ill-conceived plan to buy and donate a minuscule amount of aid on their Missioncation ? It was LITERALLY the "least that they could do" !!!

Why not raid the bursting-at-the-seams Duggar closet and simply mail the clothes to CA ? Or, as you said, sometimesy, just buy local and forget about having to mail or transport anything ? 

Jill and Jessa, and, indeed, the entire Duggar clan, seem to be the kind of people who think that serving a meal or two on Thanksgiving or Christmas at a homeless shelter ends the problem of hunger for the rest of the year. Their idiotic, self-serving, fame-whore nature is disgusting to me - they're only charitable when the cameras are rolling...

But I forget ! They're there to save souls, not the bodies that house them. Doesn't matter if the person is cold and tired and genuinely hungry just as long as they're "right with the Lord", right ?! 

• Love 9

I wonder if this thought has ever entered into Benessa or Jericks' minds. They say what goes on in the dark always comes to light. And the whole those that cover their sins won't prosper thing. Take note Joshie, if you sin drop it lke it's hot or else!

Good post.  Organized religion with hundreds of years of history has gotten us in enough trouble over the years, I can't uniformly trust a "lay-led church".  Too many opportunities for people to be interpretive well- (and not-well) meaning idiots.  Has Henry VIII taught us nothing??

re: the bolded I'm sorry, my inner 13 year old got the best of me but this made me giggle. Because yes, at least for the men, this 'church' seems mostly to be led by getting laid, does it not?

• Love 11

It certainly did for Henry VIII. Anne Boelyn held marriage over Henry's head to get himself some. And BOOM! we have the Church of England because the exalted leader couldn't get what he wanted any other way! 

I think Anne wins any purity contest over the Duggar spawn, who haven't changed any of Gothard's tenets in order to marry. But looking into the Duggar girls' marriages a little bit, I continue to be amazed at how little these people seem to really know one another. They merely try to out-platitude each other. I'm still pissed at Derick's derisive sneer at "non-bible readers" who shockingly (in  his mind) know that pride goes before a fall. Fuck.you.

eta: snerk...

https://www.instagram.com/p/_fGMJlqJRO/?taken-by=famyfriday

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

I've known several people who use "whenever" that way, and I think it could be a regional thing to some degree. The people I've heard using it are mostly Oklahomans [next door to Arkansas], including people with education, life experience, and overall maturity FAR above the Duggars'.

At any rate, it's certainly not unique to the Duggars. I can see how it could be infuriatingly irritating to a listener, whatever its origins.

EDITED to add: the people I know who've used "whenever" that way, have not tended to use it every single time instead of "when." I'm having trouble explaining this, but it seemed more like a turn of phrase that popped up now and then in their conversations.

I want to say, I'm remembering a TWOP poster, though could be some other source, who did.  Use "whenever" in lieu of every place "whenever" it would have been more appropriate to say "when", that is.  And it seemed to be a Southern locution.

Kinda off topic, but how does thrift shopping not help the local economy? Instead of the money going to a big boxed business like Wal*Mart, the money went to the owner of the thrift shop---those places aren't free to run, they're a local business like anything else. I personally don't shop them because I'm lazy, but I think buying from a thrift shop does more good for the local economy than going to Wal*Mart would have. 

• Love 2

I think they meant shopping at a shop (even if it had to be a Wally World) in CA rather than NWA. I wonder how many thrift shops there actually are in a second world country like Guatemala, but if they were anywhere, I'd think they'd be in a more civilized place like Antigua.

• Love 3

Saw a recent article that Boob and Googly eyes are looking to adopt. I doubt with their history theyd be allowed to adopt a shelter animal...I mean I guess that since Googly's busted boot of a uterus can't produce any more "blessings" she's got to find some way to keep herself in the news now that her uterus has been upstaged by those of her daughters.

Her rationale is they want to give a kid a great life...they've screwed up the lives of the kids tey already have...Jill and Jessa are space cadets...totally lacking the maturity for marriage..

I keep telling myself not to Google them, watch them, or read or post on this forum...but the snark is just too good to resist!

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 2
I'm still pissed at Derick's derisive sneer at "non-bible readers" who shockingly (in  his mind) know that pride goes before a fall. Fuck.you.

I'm Triple D's worst nightmare: A former pastoral studies major that left the church. I don't need to "read the Bible" to know right from wrong. It's unfortunate that he (and his extended family) does not.

• Love 23

I think they meant shopping at a shop (even if it had to be a Wally World) in CA rather than NWA. I wonder how many thrift shops there actually are in a second world country like Guatemala, but if they were anywhere, I'd think they'd be in a more civilized place like Antigua.

I have yet to see a thrift store in an emerging/3rd world market. Shopping is usually a choice between high-end retail and bend-over street markets.

They could maybe actually do some good shopping at their local bend-over. Goods usually range from inexpensive new to less expensive items that are shipped in bulk by charities like Oxfam and Goodwill. I'm sure the local vendor would appreciate any extra business.

But that would mean learning Spanish. OR they could do the local economy even more good by hiring a local interpreter. Bonus!

• Love 3