Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

What other issues?  Do you know what they are?  Are they issues with self control or things outside her control?  

Maybe she is having some success now because she is away from that toxic stress-inducing situation with Kodork.  Stress is known to work against weight loss, even if you are dieting and doing everything right.  Even Covid has been a big factor in working against weight loss, so that could be a part of it too.  I know all about that.  And maybe she is far enough past menopause for her hormones to have calmed down enough to make it easier for her to lose weight.

Even so, I still think she could have been further along by now.  I'm full of issues sabotaging my weight loss and I've already lost close to 20 lbs. since September.  Those issues include having the DNA genes called "the fat gene" (I had my DNA tested and was told that, plus it's all down my mother's mother's side of the family after menopause), being short - I'm much shorter than Janelle, which a lot of people don't know also makes it harder to lose weight.  Plus, not to mention the insane stress I was under because of Covid and my father passing away from it.  Plus I'm 11 years older than she is, and it's also known that getting older makes it harder to lose weight, especially for women.  

So I'm beginning to think that Janelle has not been up front about an behavioral issue.  I don't find her very honest and open about her issues and that makes me take a dim view of her in general about this issue, I'm sorry to say.  I don't mean to be a downer about Janelle's weight loss, because if she is now on track, good for her, but like you I have not liked how she has been posing as some kind of health coach when she herself is not being honest and open about her own eating habits and issues, whatever they are.

Take my husband for example.  For as long as I've known him (over 40 years) he complained about how hard it was for him to lose weight, then last year when he found out he had become a type 2 diabetic he finally came clean about how when he was out in the field working he ate all sorts of fast food and fattening garbage I haven't touched in YEARS if not decades.  Meanwhile that's not the impression he gave me!  And meanwhile here I was eating basically diet food all the time and now I suddenly find out he didn't really have a metabolic issue.  His was a behavioral issue.  Since going on a diet he's lost 40 lbs.  I have lost only 20 and I've been doing much more than he is, including much more exercise.  Of course he is a man so any comparisons are not exactly equivalent, but still.  So I'm seeing these things a little differently now than I used to.

I most definitely worded that wrong, should have used the word “probably” or “likely” being age, perhaps menopause, metabolism issues. And as we’ve seen with her, a love of thrive thrus. 

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I make no judgment about Janelle.  Obesity, and I’m not saying she is, is a complex issue and not moral one.  I am curious about the 100 pounds though…..did she say that?  Just wondering. I didn’t notice anything close to that, but I don’t follow her.  

I agree it is very complex, but when she started charging money as a “health coach”, I started judging. For years she came across as a bumbling phony — I likened it to someone charging for piano lessons who can only manage to play chopsticks. However, it now appears she’s finally found a system that works for her. 👏 

Janelle seems much more confident now than she did even a year ago. She looks good and I wish her even more success. 

• Like 13
13 hours ago, Absolom said:

She did give a figure in November or December for her weight loss to that point.  Unfortunately I don't remember the exact number.  The best I can do is say in the 80 to 100 pound range.  Another site posted two similar photos of her side by side one from a couple of years ago and a very recent one and the difference was obvious.

Janelle was over 300 pounds at her heaviest wasn't she so yeah she'd still be plus size losing 100 pounds. 

I'm not sure our weight is relevant to Janelle.  If I lost 100 pounds, I wouldn't be alive.

I still find that hard to believe.  My husband, who is 5'9" was close to 300 lbs. at his highest weight ever.  He is 100 lbs. lighter now and looks like a completely different person - 36" waist, looks skinny now.  According to online sources Janelle is supposed to be 5'7", so a 100 lb. weight loss should look way more significant than what we are seeing now.  My husband, who has peripherally followed the show since day 1 said "NO WAY" when I showed him her recent photos and told him she supposedly lost 100 lbs.  

Note that I am 5'1.5" tall and weigh 196 lbs. and I am STILL not a plus size.  OK, I am a size 16, but a misses size 16.  Janelle at 5'7" at 200 lbs. would probably be in a smaller size than that.  That's why I'm saying I don't believe she should still be a plus size if she lost 100 lbs.

14 hours ago, Cetacean said:

A lot of people have lost 100 pounds over many years.  So losing 20 and regaining 15 and then losing 5 and gaining 10  and then losing 8 and gaining Covid 15 - the math could round up to 100 but, in reality, you haven't lost a thing!

I think you're assessment of this is probably the most accurate!!

• Like 6

I have been reading this thread for years, which seems to me to have consisted of at least 90% criticism of Janelle for her lack of knowledge about dieting and weight loss while promoting herself as a weight loss or nutritional coach of some kind, plus her pushing of snake oil for that purpose and her lack of success in achieving her goal of weight loss going back years now.  Over that time I have also been pretty much one of the ONLY people defending her year after year based on sympathy because of my own difficulties losing weight.  But now the ONE TIME I find what I think are good reasons to question the amount of her overall net weight loss (which I think is more like 50-60 lbs., not 100) it's suddenly a controversial opinion.  I don't get it.  I have had nothing but sympathy for this woman and I am happy about her recent success, but to say that it has taken her a long time to achieve it while she has been claiming she's a coach and self styled diet follower, posting nothing but "healthy" meals on social media is an understatement to say the least.  And I'm just not ready to say she has lost a net amount of 100 lbs. based on photos of her.

I found an interesting site that compiles before and after photos of women at different heights and these are some of 5'7" women that started at or near 300 lbs. and lost a significant amount of weight, mostly between 70-100 100 lbs.  These are just a few.  I personally think Janelle looks heavier than any of them right now:

https://myprogresspics.com/progress-pics/18086/f3357-100lbs-weight-loss-progress-pic

https://myprogresspics.com/progress-pics/25299/f3357-295-222-73-lbs-down-january-2022-to-july-2022-73lbs-down-in-6-months-f3357-journey-from-295-to-222

https://myprogresspics.com/progress-pics/18141/f2457-299lbs-199lbs-100lbs-13-months-finally-in-onederland

https://myprogresspics.com/progress-pics/19214/f3057-103lbs-weight-loss-in-12-months-its-been-an-emotional-journey

• Like 7
57 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I have been reading this thread for years, which seems to me to have consisted of at least 90% criticism of Janelle for her lack of knowledge about dieting and weight loss while promoting herself as a weight loss or nutritional coach of some kind, plus her pushing of snake oil for that purpose and her lack of success in achieving her goal of weight loss going back years now.  Over that time I have also been pretty much one of the ONLY people defending her year after year based on sympathy because of my own difficulties losing weight.  But now the ONE TIME I find what I think are good reasons to question the amount of her overall net weight loss (which I think is more like 50-60 lbs., not 100) it's suddenly a controversial opinion.  I don't get it.  I have had nothing but sympathy for this woman and I am happy about her recent success, but to say that it has taken her a long time to achieve it while she has been claiming she's a coach and self styled diet follower, posting nothing but "healthy" meals on social media is an understatement to say the least.  And I'm just not ready to say she has lost a net amount of 100 lbs. based on photos of her.

I found an interesting site that compiles before and after photos of women at different heights and these are some of 5'7" women that started at or near 300 lbs. and lost a significant amount of weight, mostly between 70-100 100 lbs.  These are just a few.  I personally think Janelle looks heavier than any of them right now:

https://myprogresspics.com/progress-pics/18086/f3357-100lbs-weight-loss-progress-pic

https://myprogresspics.com/progress-pics/25299/f3357-295-222-73-lbs-down-january-2022-to-july-2022-73lbs-down-in-6-months-f3357-journey-from-295-to-222

https://myprogresspics.com/progress-pics/18141/f2457-299lbs-199lbs-100lbs-13-months-finally-in-onederland

https://myprogresspics.com/progress-pics/19214/f3057-103lbs-weight-loss-in-12-months-its-been-an-emotional-journey

I absolutely would have defended her had she not become a health coach when she did. Like you I also empathise, my own intake can’t go over 1600 calories a day. Weight gain happens quickly when it goes over and of course it’s harder to get rid of. With Janelle, people were upset because typically one must show competency before claiming to be a professional in the field. It’s like getting addiction therapy from an alcoholic actively in the throes of addiction. 

Anyway, to me she looks like she’s lost quite a bit. How much, it’s hard for me to tell. I feel like it’s worth noting that people carry their weight differently— admittedly speculating that if Janelle lost 80-100 lbs she may not appear as slender as the women pictured because she carries it in her belly and possibly lacks muscle bulk. I’ve seen women weigh 165 and be a size 12 and another of the same weight a size 4 — one was a fitness competitor, one carried more fat than the other. 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I have been reading this thread for years [...]

Over that time I have also been pretty much one of the ONLY people defending her year after year based on sympathy because of my own difficulties losing weight.  But now the ONE TIME I find what I think are good reasons to question the amount of her overall net weight loss (which I think is more like 50-60 lbs., not 100) it's suddenly a controversial opinion.  I don't get it.  I have had nothing but sympathy for this woman and I am happy about her recent success, but to say that it has taken her a long time to achieve it while she has been claiming she's a coach and self styled diet follower, posting nothing but "healthy" meals on social media is an understatement to say the least.  And I'm just not ready to say she has lost a net amount of 100 lbs. based on photos of her.

Just speaking as someone who only originally read the conversation, and didn't take part in it until now, I don't think your opinion is controversial. People were relating what they remember Janelle saying she lost.

Weight loss tales can be a lot like fishermen's tales of the "the one that got away." 

Also, "plus size" is a nebulous term. Some places start it at size 18, but one of the more famous "plus size" models is Ashley Graham — a size 14. Some stores "plus" departments start at 14. Some at 16. Some at 18. In my experience, US women's clothing sizes are wildly inconsistent.

I am usually a U.S. 10 or a 12 (now that I'm in my 50s). When I was still in my 20s and hadn't had any babies, I was an 8, or rarely, a 6. But I had two really beautiful suits for work that were size 4.

Now as a kid, I'd gone straight from children's size 14 to a junior's size 5. I'd never been fat at that time, but I'd never been tiny. I was never a 3/4. Those suits were only labeled size four because they were from an expensive brand in an expensive store. It was vanity sizing.

This is mostly my long way of saying that I don't think anyone was mad at you, or thought you were being mean about Janelle, or terrible, or otherwise wrong. I don't blame you for having this stick in your craw. I don't think Janelle looks like she lost 100lbs either, but maybe I haven't seen her highest "before" picture.

I do think we can all agree that she's much healthier after shedding ~200lbs of crap. Talk about a cleanse! 😉1900732142_ScreenShot2023-01-18at3_39_41PM.thumb.png.89bcb2a16fef72297d9db027f70fd4f9.png

Edited by General Days
  • Like 9
  • Love 1

I like Janelle's on line postings. While all of this craziness is going on with the rest of the family, Janelle is posting about Disney trips, snow storms, and haircuts. No comment from her or her kids on any of it.

Her branch of the family seems like they aren't touching any of the recent controversy with a ten foot pole.

I've always liked Janelle's branch of the family the best. 

• Like 20
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

That's because they were largely raised by Logan.

Logan is the very best of them, which is undoubtedly why he's decided, "No, TLC. You bitches are not filming my life."

Edited by General Days
  • Like 15
12 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Who is the tiny man in black at the bottom of the first picture?

Looks like Manny MUA- he’s a beauty YouTuber who was crazy popular 2016-18ish. Had a few scandals, but he has a makeup line and still makes videos. 

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
On 1/20/2023 at 9:53 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Looks like Manny MUA- he’s a beauty YouTuber who was crazy popular 2016-18ish. Had a few scandals, but he has a makeup line and still makes videos. 

Probably part of a filter or an added animation on top of the story. I've seen that "little guy in black" on other Instagram stories by other people before.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
30 minutes ago, Lurk said:

Probably part of a filter or an added animation on top of the story. I've seen that "little guy in black" on other Instagram stories by other people before.

Yes- but that guy in the animation is Manny MUA. People often use him in memes, overlays on social media, because he has a very expressive face and always with a full beat. 

Makes me wonder if Savanah watches him, is a fan, buys his makeup etc or Janelle just chose him. There is Manny below.Awkward Shade GIF by Manny MUA

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I know we've got lots to snark on with them all. But of all of them, I saw the humor and genuine logic in the interviews with Janelle.  I actually thought that's someone I think I'd like to meet.

The rest of them - no way.

• Like 18

If I had to pick I always liked Janelle the best of the adults except the scams  PLEXUS.  Janelle seems like you could just kick back in your recliners together, eat In-N-Out burger, and feed your dogs cheese puffs, while getting the dirt on how much of the family budget was allocated for Robyn’s Precious Moments collectibles.  It’s nice to see Janelle out having fun and doing things with her friends.

Although, the bar is pretty low.  Christine’s fake voice gets on my nerves, Robyn would probably try and make me dust the Cherished Teddies, Meri would try to hard-sell me Lulurags, and Kody would probably ask me to put curlers in his hair. 

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Like 10
  • LOL 11

I guess its the professional cook in me. Just wiggle the pan as the egg hits it, cook it flat and fold up to fit the bread or roll you are making into a sandwich. It will cook fast and you don't have to worry about any uncooked white in the middle of the little circle.

• Like 9

I want to like Janelle but I don't really think any of these Brown's are admirable.

I just went to their joint plexus page. First, I'm shocked they have 110K followers on that account.

Second, Janelle and Christine were both saying, "listen we aren't doctors, but yes you can take it when you're pregnant, breastfeeding, diabetic whatever. You might want to avoid certain things but we can help you with that, and of course we're not doctors, you'll check with your doctor, but yes it's totally fine..." Then Janelle went on about how "safe" the company was (the same one that's been sued multiple times). 

And Christine was saying, "well this isn't regulated by the FDA because it's just vitamins. Did you know you can buy vitamins at Walgreens? I was shocked to learn that." And Janelle said, "well yes it's a drugstore."

At least they are funny - but not really in a good way ya know?

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Where has she been?  Vitamins are in every store that sells groceries, and of course, they're in drugstores.  

Duh?

And after being raised in the Allred cult:  "I didn't know men could be such bastards,  I didn't know."

We're not talking brain trust here.

• Like 6
  • LOL 16
11 hours ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

Who is Janelle living with these days?  

I guess it's just her and Savanah now. And I hope for Savanah's sake she will go to college and move out soon.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I always feel like Savanah is the forgotten baby Brown. Whenever she has spoken on the show, over the last couple of seasons, it seems like she's someone who thinks a lot before she speaks, like her mama.

I often feel bad for her and for Truely. It feel likes they missed out on a lot of what was once good about being a part of such an enormous brood.

• Like 17
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, General Days said:

I always feel like Savanah is the forgotten baby Brown. Whenever she has spoken on the show, over the last couple of seasons, it seems like she's someone who thinks a lot before she speaks, like her mama.

I often feel bad for her and for Truely. It feel likes they missed out on a lot of what was once good about being a part of such an enormous brood.

I agree and I felt bad that Savannah had no role in Madison's (or Aspyn or Mykeltis) weddings (unless I am remembering wrong?). Madison is older but she always seemed to completely ignore Savannah. Truely at least got attention as the "baby" of the OG 12.

• Like 12
18 hours ago, Cetacean said:

And after being raised in the Allred cult:  "I didn't know men could be such bastards,  I didn't know."

This is a woman whose great uncle killed her grandfather, right?  (Ervil killed Rulon iirc)

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Like 9
13 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

This is a woman whose great uncle killed her grandfather, right?  (Ervil killed Rulon iirc)

Correct although I just realized this is in the wrong thread. I was quoting Christine.  Sorry about that!

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

I agree and I felt bad that Savannah had no role in Madison's (or Aspyn or Mykeltis) weddings (unless I am remembering wrong?). Madison is older but she always seemed to completely ignore Savannah. Truely at least got attention as the "baby" of the OG 12.

Yeah, I remember feeling bad that Savanah wasn't in Madison's wedding. She is her only sister from the same mom. I thought maybe she'd be in Mykelti's, but she wasn't. Aspyn, at least, only had little kids as attendants, so it doesn't seem as much of a slap in the face.

Also, I'm feeling neurotic about my own issues today, so I'll just note they do spell her name "Savanah," even though it's commonly spelled, "Savannah." I didn't make the mistake. Janelle did! 😉

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
6 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

90CF9897-EEAF-45C5-A2E4-DE255210E4C9.gif

It really IS simple, Janelle — you just mentioned frozen options and pre-cut veggies. Here’s more: 

* Keep boiled eggs on hand.

* Prepare chicken breast in advance and freeze for days you don’t want to cook. Put pieces in single serving bags. Add to salad, fajitas, whatever you’re making. 

* if a frozen meal is a must, try Purple Carrot — plant based, low calorie, organic.

* Use large romaine lettuce as a “bun” (old idea but a good one)

* lollipops are a sweet treat that last a while

* Keep sparkling water on hand instead of sugared soda

* Sea Cuisine makes fish that you cook from frozen — 20 minutes total. They’re pricey but really good and pre-seasoned. 

* Keep it simple — not every meal needs to be a production. Sometimes it’s just a big salad with chicken or healthy soup (which you can also freeze for when you don’t wanna cook).

And Janelle — if your problem is carbs, don’t keep them in the house. Period.

You’re welcome that’ll be $150  

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

You’re welcome that’ll be $150  

Heck, I'd charge her ten times that.

But when does she incorporate her "Re-Set?"  When does she ingest the pink drink?  What about all those Costco-sized containers of ghee, nutmeg, and peppermint tea?  I'll bet she could just toss all of that stuff in a blender, pour it out onto one of her chipped plates and it'd still look better than most of the food pictures she posts.

• LOL 8

It might be quinoa or cauliflower. I like both but yea neither is  very visually appealing.

She just never stops proving she learned nothing from her "wellness whatever" certification.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 1/29/2023 at 12:12 AM, Cetacean said:

She did know. She lived with her Uncle when he left the church because of the lack of response to abuse and the church said they could keep the houses he'd built as part of the United order. He just wanted one property to leave with so sued Owen Allred and Christine's Dad Rex and won. But legal costs meant he left with nothing really.

And Christine worked for principle voices which was set up to talk about the positives of the religion and plural marriage as a direct response to high profile cases like Tom Green, Rodney Holm and Warren Jeff's. One of Christine's cousins was married to Warren Jeff's was she was 12. Christine never knew her and didn't know that had happened but she did know about the dark sides.

Christine wasn't the naive person she tries to portray. It's a good thing that she had a different experience than a lot of victims but she can't pretend she didn't know. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 6

I think Janelle might have lost 100lbs from her very heaviest. Which was years and years ago. I don't think she's lost 100lbs in the last few years, she's always fluctuated. 

Edit: always fluctuated in various degrees of being very overweight. She's never lost significantly in a specific period of time so that people would comment 'woah, that's amazing'. and then maintained. But if you pick a specific picture from the last 30 years and compare it to now you would think 'woah there's a huge difference, amazing!'. 

Janelle at the start of the show wearing the pink two-piece on the couch in comparison to now is a huge difference. But it wasn't linear that she was that size then and this size now, Janelle at the commitment ceremony was much smaller than the 1st season but then got bigger in years after and then a bit smaller in different seasons.

Same as people saying Christine lost a tonne of weight when she left Kody. She didn't. She lost weight over years and got a bit bigger and a bit smaller over seasons. If you compared her to when she got married she was smaller but that wasn't a sudden change. 

And neither Janelle nor Christine have in the time we've known them and seen pictures of them in years before the show, have ever been slim or thin. Robyn was slim. Meri was.  Neither Christine or Janelle were ever, and they aren't now. 

Edited by hazefordays
  • Like 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

With her propensity to resort to unhealthy meals, I wonder why Janelle isn’t promoting a home delivery plan that delivers nutritional food right to your door (Like Hello Fresh). You know, it’s super convenient for people who don’t have a regular job, but still can’t be bothered to shop or order the food themselves.  Lol   If money is no issue, why not?  

Doesn’t Janelle have cook books?  It wouldn’t be difficult to buy some ground chicken or turkey, cook it with some sliced mushrooms, onion, peppers, garlic and spices on the weekend.  Divide up the mixture into meal size bags and freeze.  During the week, heat up and serve with cauliflower rice, tomato sauce and green beans.  The next night serve with frozen sweet potatoes, which are previously divided into portions, along with broccoli.  Another night have the protein with black beans and brown rice.  Single serve portions are available on the shelf or freezer section.  Also, get fresh veggies to add to each plate, a slice of tomato, avocado or chopped cucumber.

Maybe, some people just don’t care to shop and prepare food.  I have a couple of good friends who often mention that they have no food in their house!  ( They are professionals, who could order anything they want. )They say they are not going to cook, like it’s a great decision.  I don’t get it.  My friends just end up eating popcorn for dinner!  Lol. But, both of my friends who hardly ever cook, are super thin and very active.  They live on yogurt, nuts, seeds, blueberries, fish and bananas.  🤫 And look pretty healthy. Lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

With her propensity to resort to unhealthy meals, I wonder why Janelle isn’t promoting a home delivery plan that delivers nutritional food right to your door (Like Hello Fresh). You know, it’s super convenient for people who don’t have a regular job, but still can’t be bothered to shop or order the food themselves.  Lol   If money is no issue, why not?  

Doesn’t Janelle have cook books?  It wouldn’t be difficult to buy some ground chicken or turkey, cook it with some sliced mushrooms, onion, peppers, garlic and spices on the weekend.  Divide up the mixture into meal size bags and freeze.  During the week, heat up and serve with cauliflower rice, tomato sauce and green beans.  The next night serve with frozen sweet potatoes, which are previously divided into portions, along with broccoli.  Another night have the protein with black beans and brown rice.  Single serve portions are available on the shelf or freezer section.  Also, get fresh veggies to add to each plate, a slice of tomato, avocado or chopped cucumber.

Maybe, some people just don’t care to shop and prepare food.  I have a couple of good friends who often mention that they have no food in their house!  ( They are professionals, who could order anything they want. )They say they are not going to cook, like it’s a great decision.  I don’t get it.  My friends just end up eating popcorn for dinner!  Lol. But, both of my friends who hardly ever cook, are super thin and very active.  They live on yogurt, nuts, seeds, blueberries, fish and bananas.  🤫 And look pretty healthy. Lol 

Well, that makes too much sense!  Janelle still isn't used to living like that.  Hard to know how much time will have to pass until she internalizes some of what she "preaches".  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1