Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

With her propensity to resort to unhealthy meals, I wonder why Janelle isn’t promoting a home delivery plan that delivers nutritional food right to your door (Like Hello Fresh). You know, it’s super convenient for people who don’t have a regular job, but still can’t be bothered to shop or order the food themselves.  Lol   If money is no issue, why not?  

Doesn’t Janelle have cook books?  It wouldn’t be difficult to buy some ground chicken or turkey, cook it with some sliced mushrooms, onion, peppers, garlic and spices on the weekend.  Divide up the mixture into meal size bags and freeze.  During the week, heat up and serve with cauliflower rice, tomato sauce and green beans.  The next night serve with frozen sweet potatoes, which are previously divided into portions, along with broccoli.  Another night have the protein with black beans and brown rice.  Single serve portions are available on the shelf or freezer section.  Also, get fresh veggies to add to each plate, a slice of tomato, avocado or chopped cucumber.

Maybe, some people just don’t care to shop and prepare food.  I have a couple of good friends who often mention that they have no food in their house!  ( They are professionals, who could order anything they want. )They say they are not going to cook, like it’s a great decision.  I don’t get it.  My friends just end up eating popcorn for dinner!  Lol. But, both of my friends who hardly ever cook, are super thin and very active.  They live on yogurt, nuts, seeds, blueberries, fish and bananas.  🤫 And look pretty healthy. Lol 

I was looking at Hello Fresh because I hate grocery shopping (anxiety, autism) and the cost works out about the same. But there are lots of complaints on the food arriving with not enough ice packs (salmonella anyone?) and issues with cancelling. That made me think twice.

It’s easy to eat healthy and not cook. Every meal doesn’t have to be a production, as you mentioned about your friends eating popcorn (done that). I’ve had a bowl of yogurt for dinner, or oatmeal, tuna out of the package, and if I’m feeling motivated, a piece of fish in the oven. Oftentimes it’s a pre made salad with minimal dressing.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I enjoy the packaged kale salads. Add strawberries, blueberries, apple and diced chicken breast. A slice of crusty bread and I'm good to go.

I like those salads, too.  Skinny Girl makes a honey dijon dressing that's light and tasty, and I rilly like raspberry vinaigrette, too.

2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I was looking at Hello Fresh because I hate grocery shopping (anxiety, autism) and the cost works out about the same. But there are lots of complaints on the food arriving with not enough ice packs (salmonella anyone?) and issues with cancelling. That made me think twice.

It’s easy to eat healthy and not cook. Every meal doesn’t have to be a production, as you mentioned about your friends eating popcorn (done that). I’ve had a bowl of yogurt for dinner, or oatmeal, tuna out of the package, and if I’m feeling motivated, a piece of fish in the oven. Oftentimes it’s a pre made salad with minimal dressing.

I don't trust the prepackaged meals that require shipping, for the reason above (not enough ice packs, no thanks.)

• Like 5

I don't trust the prepackaged meals that require shipping, for the reason above (not enough ice packs, no thanks.)

I've done quite a few of them, including Hello Fresh, and never had an issue. You also could look at vegetarian/vegan meals, which would have fewer issues with spoiling. I also like the prepackaged salads and I usually add some chicken or maybe chickpeas for protein. I do rely a lot on frozen food when I'm feeling lazy which is better than delivery but probably not the healthiest option.

I do enjoy cooking but I just don't do it every day. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Someone gave us some Blue Apron meals several years ago.  My friend has used Hello Fresh.  For both of us the issue was it takes a long time to dice, mince, chop the ingredients, most of them are done in a skillet and while it cuts out the shopping and planning, for us it becomes time consuming and a "commotion" and not worth it.  I cook our meals from scratch every evening because it is my choice to.  Mr lookeyloo just eats what I make and we are both happy.  Some things are more production than some standbys but they are all relatively healthy and use normal ingredients.  There are many tricks Janelle could try but she either doesn't want to, or, doesn't want to.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

My daughter sometimes uses Gobble.  They are always adequately cold and the produce is already chopped.  She's never had trouble with directions and they've found some meals they now make on their own.  

I agree  meal service for two or three days a week would be good for Janelle.  She could get some new ideas, learn some new cooking techniques, and get a really clear idea on portion sizes.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1

Janelle is currently in NC on baby watch and posted that she hired a trainer to help keep her accountable while there. Smart idea. I assume this means she's doing very well financially. Trainers aren't cheap.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1

I used to use Hello Fresh (Canada) and it was so handy to have everything arrive prechopped and just the right amount of ingredients for the recipes e.g., teeny, tiny bottles of fish sauce, but now that I'm keto Hello Fresh does not work for me.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

As someone who does cook every night except for two or three take away pizzas a month...it can be like a part time job.  Keeping track of my pantry, freezer, grocery store sales and rotating meals seasonally and with variety is a lot of planning and organizing. Personally I am an organized planning ahead person, and a retired cook/baker professional so I do run my kitchen like a mini commercial kitchen.  But I do get why Janelle would easily fall off a meal plan. I keep quick to heat up meals in the freezer for those times when I planned "X" for dinner, but something happened and we need something quick and simple. Those meal kits seem to be something that is delivered and cooked with a small window of freshness.

When my daughter got her first apartment, and her first kitchen, she subscribed to one of the delivery prepped meal boxes.  I was shocked, since she was a good cook and baker before finishing high school, but she wanted to have everything prepped so she could learn the volumes of ingredients and the order that those meals went together (which was a little different to how I put my meals together). She also wasn't very experimental with herbs/spices, and I guess the meal boxes helped.  She didn't do it for long before she took over for herself.

My best tip to anyone wanting to cook without leftovers, or to prepare bulk things for future meals is a scale.  Mine lives right on the counter and all of my recipes are written for weight. If you want to have pasta sauce in the freezer for just one or two servings, just serve yourself the amount of pasta you eat on a plate, then put on the scale and tare it to zero. Put the amount of sauce you want and then weigh it.  Now you know the ounces/grams of sauce that equals one serving and it can be put into freezer bags and marked as such.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 7
4 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Janelle is currently in NC on baby watch and posted that she hired a trainer to help keep her accountable while there. Smart idea. I assume this means she's doing very well financially. Trainers aren't cheap.

She also said she currently has a trainer at home.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1

None of us in my family eat for weight loss and none of us like to cook. I've looked into the meal plan deliveries but they're a little pricey for 3 adults. One of my kids who lives alone does the meal plan deliveries 3 days a week.

We eat mostly simple meals and use fresh, frozen and canned fruits and veggies. It depends on the season and where we are in the grocery shopping schedule. We are meat eaters, so we can make a million easy protein/veggie/carb meals.

And honestly, we don't really have simple tastes, but as my husband says, its all shit in the end, so we make do with simple meals, because like I said, none of us like to cook.

Janelle is overcomplicating things.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

She also said she currently has a trainer at home.

Janelle seems to be more serious this time about losing weight and getting fit.  Now, if she wasn't still shilling Plexcrap, I would applaud her.  I guess I'll still give her kudos for her dedication.

59 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

None of us in my family eat for weight loss and none of us like to cook. I've looked into the meal plan deliveries but they're a little pricey for 3 adults. One of my kids who lives alone does the meal plan deliveries 3 days a week.

We eat mostly simple meals and use fresh, frozen and canned fruits and veggies. It depends on the season and where we are in the grocery shopping schedule. We are meat eaters, so we can make a million easy protein/veggie/carb meals.

And honestly, we don't really have simple tastes, but as my husband says, its all shit in the end, so we make do with simple meals, because like I said, none of us like to cook.

Janelle is overcomplicating things.

Hee!  That sounds like something Mr. X would say.  😁

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
On 2/7/2023 at 3:37 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

But, both of my friends who hardly ever cook, are super thin and very active.  They live on yogurt, nuts, seeds, blueberries, fish and bananas.  🤫 And look pretty healthy. Lo

Taking my response to small talk

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Interesting. Leave Kody, get serious about health and exercise!

Janelle has always had the prettiest face of all the wives, and the nicest complexion, too.  Imagine if she lost a bunch of weight and toned up at the gym.  I think it would just kill  Kody to see her serving up some genuine revenge body! 

I want him to look at Robyn and be like ....  hmm, maybe I made a mistake ...  And Robyn can go look in the mirror and tell herself she is lucky Kody still tolerates HER tired ass, what with all her flab and stretch marks.  Let her suck on that for a while.  The shoe doesn't feel so good when it is on the other foot, does it Hose Beast?  Lol

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
23 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

So……our health coach hired a trainer? She’s charging people for her advice but can’t keep herself accountable?

Not saying she doesn’t need one, just that she needs to drop the charade of being a “coach” herself. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Janelle has always had the prettiest face of all the wives, and the nicest complexion, too.  Imagine if she lost a bunch of weight and toned up at the gym.  I think it would just kill  Kody to see her serving up some genuine revenge body! 

I want him to look at Robyn and be like ....  hmm, maybe I made a mistake ...  And Robyn can go look in the mirror and tell herself she is lucky Kody still tolerates HER tired ass, what with all her flab and stretch marks.  Let her suck on that for a while.  The shoe doesn't feel so good when it is on the other foot, does it Hose Beast?  Lol

YES!  Rat bastard can suck it.  😄

• LOL 6
13 minutes ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

Is her strive website inactive?

On the website, she hasn’t posted on the blog part since 2018. The option to have a 45 minute session, for $75.00, with her is still there. She still posts on the Facebook page, with a link to the website provided.

All of that to say, I haven’t a clue!

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 4
15 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Imagine if our culture didn't require women to be thin to be considered pretty!

aww c'mmon now, be fair - I never suggested Janelle's weight makes her not pretty. I'm giving her all deserved props for her lovely face and complexion.  Just joking about her achieving a "revenge bod" which means weight loss, something Janelle herself has made the subject of discussion (and in light of what was said about weight gain and stretch marks, snarky worthy toward Robyn). 

I hope no one took my comment to suggest Janelle's weight makes her not pretty!  

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Like 19

I wonder if Janelle will try the diabetic injections, Ozempic or Wegovy, that have proven to be a help in losing weight and maintaining weight loss?

The medical community is trying hard to come together and change their attitudes toward obesity and see it as more of a medical issue rather than willpower issue. 

The injections aren't a short term thing, they need to be continued for them to work, so its a lifetime thing. But as with many chronic medical and mental health issues, medication is a lifetime thing.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
On 2/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, TurtlePower said:

I have ordered for years and rarely have a problem. If there is an issue they will credit you

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder if Janelle will try the diabetic injections, Ozempic or Wegovy, that have proven to be a help in losing weight and maintaining weight loss?

The medical community is trying hard to come together and change their attitudes toward obesity and see it as more of a medical issue rather than willpower issue. 

The injections aren't a short term thing, they need to be continued for them to work, so its a lifetime thing. But as with many chronic medical and mental health issues, medication is a lifetime thing.

As a wife of a diabetic, I have to point out that people taking Ozempic strictly for weight loss are causing medication shortages.  Diabetics on Ozempic  are taking it because the medication they already take isn’t enough to keep their levels down.  They need it.  Twice in 3 months, we’ve had to wait for the very last minute to get his refill even though we ordered it 10 days ahead- the earliest it would  be covered by insurance.   The full cost of it is $1000 a month. 

So please don’t suggest that Janelle or anyone else take it for weight loss.  The commercials imply that the average weight loss is a dozen pounds 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 6
  • Applause 7
11 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

As a wife of a diabetic, I have to point out that people taking Ozempic strictly for weight loss are causing medication shortages.  Diabetics on Ozempic  are taking it because the medication they already take isn’t enough to keep their levels down.  They need it.  Twice in 3 months, we’ve had to wait for the very last minute to get his refill even though we ordered it 10 days ahead- the earliest it would  be covered by insurance.   The full cost of it is $1000 a month. 

So please don’t suggest that Janelle or anyone else take it for weight loss.  The commercials imply that the average weight loss is a dozen pounds 

The drug Wegovy is the same drug as Ozempic. Wegovy has been approved for use in obesity. Ozempic was designed and tested for the diabetic population first - and therefore is approved for use in diabetics - but the drug works well in both populations. As our previous poster said, obesity is now classified as a chronic medical disease and is often the root to other chronic medical diseases like diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Medically treating obesity is an appropriate way of understanding that in some cases - the condition does indeed benefit from medical intervention. And these new classes of drugs have been well reviewed and deemed effective for long term management. Yes there is a shortage, but that's on pharma. If a doctor has prescribed Wegovy or Ozempic to an obese patient they should not be vilified as taking away from someone else. Both populations are at risk. Now, the kiddos in Hollywood? They don't need it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

The drug Wegovy is the same drug as Ozempic. Wegovy has been approved for use in obesity. Ozempic was designed and tested for the diabetic population first - and therefore is approved for use in diabetics - but the drug works well in both populations. As our previous poster said, obesity is now classified as a chronic medical disease and is often the root to other chronic medical diseases like diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Medically treating obesity is an appropriate way of understanding that in some cases - the condition does indeed benefit from medical intervention. And these new classes of drugs have been well reviewed and deemed effective for long term management. Yes there is a shortage, but that's on pharma. If a doctor has prescribed Wegovy or Ozempic to an obese patient they should not be vilified as taking away from someone else. Both populations are at risk. Now, the kiddos in Hollywood? They don't need it.

Agreed. Some of the shortage might be due to doctors prescribing to patients to treat obesity but it's also a supply chain issue. I take a similar drug for diabetes that hasn't caught on as a treatment for diabetes and I have also had trouble getting it. 

FWIW, I haven't lost an ounce on it even though it made me nauseated for weeks.

Edited by Elizzikra
  • Hugs 5

One of my medications is currently on backorder everywhere and it's completely unrelated to weight.  It's purely supply chain problems.

Janelle looks like she is continuing on weight loss.  I'm glad she has finally found a way that seems to work for her.  At the least she isn't continuing to gain.

• Like 7
16 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder that too but knowing how a lot of those medications can cause stomach upset and knowing how Janelle seems to have gut issues, I'd also wonder if she wouldn't be able to tolerate them.  I was prescribed Metformin for weight loss and couldn't take it because it messed my stomach up something fierce.   So now my diet doctor is hesitant to prescribe me any other diabetes drug that is known to cause stomach upset (which is pretty much all of them).  My luck.  Then she prescribed me Topamax which is a drug for migraines known to suppress appetite.  Well that isn't really my issue first of all but when I got a load of the potential risks and side effects, no thank you, I think I'd rather be overweight.  Blurred vision and feeling like you have a stye in your eye is one of them.  So now I've been stuck on a 2 week plateau after losing 20 lbs. and can't get off, meanwhile I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do and what was working all this time until now.

I also wonder if Janelle would avoid taking something other than Plexus because she wants the world to think Plexus is the cure for obesity, not anything else.

• Hugs 6
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Janelle hasn’t  ever mentioned having Type II diabetes or pre-diabetes has she?  Not that a diagnosis would be required to get an Ozempic prescription.  Some people are paying $1200.00 a month for the med.  

Some insurance companies won't pay for it if its for weight loss, so its expensive out of pocket. With insurance covering it, Google says the cost runs around $200 a month, but as low as $25.

Likely cheaper than Plexus.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 6

I’d say Janelle is high risk for type 2 diabetes, but for all we know she’s been warned of being in a pre-stage or possibly in the early stages where it can still be managed through proper diets. That could explain why she seems so much more determined and trying than before.

When I see her efforts now, I can’t help but wonder what on earth she fed those kids when they were growing up? I doubt they had a lot of fruit and vegetables. Yes, healthy food can be challenging with kids, mine do not always get their 5 a day either, but we’re trying. It’s not hard to add an extra piece of fruit to their dessert on a pizza day for instance. 

• Like 10

I was prescribed Metformin for weight loss and couldn't take it because it messed my stomach up something fierce.   So now my diet doctor is hesitant to prescribe me any other diabetes drug that is known to cause stomach upset (which is pretty much all of them).  My luck.

FWIW, mine made me really nauseous for the first three weeks but since then I have had no difficulty. So if you can sort of tough it out for that long you might be ok. And they have brought my blood sugars right in line though I have not lost any weight.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3

When I see her efforts now, I can’t help but wonder what on earth she fed those kids when they were growing up?

There were about 12 kids in the house for a long time, which is approaching a Duggar-size family. So I'm thinking tator tot casserole and Kraft Mac-n-Cheese (one box costs a dollar)-type meals. Christine was doing most of the daily parenting, and I'm thinking she wasn't taking the time to scramble eggs or cut fresh veggies for 12 kids. 

Janelle probably thinks Plexus makes up for all that. If Maddie started selling eggs, at least she would be selling something safe to ingest.

• Like 11

Mag citrate and potassium citrate can be obtained much more cheaply.  She could just drink some coconut water instead of mixing up Plexus.  I'm not sure how much "coconut water powder" is even in her drink since it's the fourth ingredient.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
9 minutes ago, Elodia said:

Am I the only one who finds it weird that Janelle flies back home just as Christine is arriving at Maddie's? 

Maybe, or maybe they planned it that way to have help around longer for Maddie. But yes, but initial reaction was, did Christine and Janelle even hang out? Because you know, as Christine has stressed, they're BFFs.

So I'm assuming Robyn will be flying in next week for her shift. 😁🤣

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8