Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I grew up on that snd loved it.  I found some on Amazon (?) and ordered it last year. Same brand but so much for nostalgia.

There is a small Amish grocery store in my town that carries the brown bread in a can. It is fresh and tastes just as good as I remember. Unfortunately since iI have been hurt I can't get to it right. now. Once I can drive again, that is one of the first places I am going!

We used to eat it quite a bit when I was a kid with cream cheese spread on it.  It was a real treat!

• Like 7

I love this "what IS that" discussion!! So funny!!

I know this lady who thinks she's a "gourmet cook" who is constantly taking pictures of her food on a plate and posting it on FB.

Honestly, it looks AWFUL!! ALWAYS!!  It's like a glob of brown stuff, a glob of something green, and sometimes, it's stuffed french toast that looks like a GIANT glob of brown AND yellow with some blue stuff on top.

I've eaten her food IN PERSON and it's usually really tasty.  The photos of it are just GROSS. There's a reason food stylists, photographers and lighting people have a JOB.

Personally, I think that brown thing on Janelle's plate is a big old glob of..... what? I don't have a CLUE!  Love Celia's thoughts though!

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2023 at 3:28 PM, xwordfanatik said:

But I'm afraid that Atlantic means farmed.

It is frustrating to think you are eating healthy but unless is states "wild caught" it is inevitably farmed.  I have see those fish farms and you couldn't pay me to eat that stuff.  Thousands of fish crammed into small pens fed died pellets which mix with their own feces which is all ingested.  It's truly stomach turning.  And escaped farmed fish mixes with and taints the wild population.

Alexandra Morton has written extensively about fish farming in western Canada.  

No idea where Janelle gets her fish but, since she is a life coach and fitness guru I am certain it's not farmed.  Heh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Wink 2
7 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I grew up on that snd loved it.  I found some on Amazon (?) and ordered it last year. Same brand but so much for nostalgia.

5 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

We used to eat it quite a bit when I was a kid with cream cheese spread on it.  It was a real treat!

Brown bread is so good with cream cheese, although like most things, it's great just smothered in butter, too.

• Like 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, Cetacean said:

It is frustrating to think you are eating healthy but unless is states "wild caught" it is inevitably farmed.  I have see those fish farms and you couldn't pay me to eat that stuff.  Thousands of fish crammed into small pens fed died pellets which mix with their own feces which is all ingested.  It's truly stomach turning.  And escaped farmed fish mixes with and taints the wild population.

Alexandra Morton has written extensively about fish farming in western Canada.  

No idea where Janelle gets her fish but, since she is a life coach and fitness guru I am certain it's not farmed.  Heh.

I remember getting tilapia ONCE from Walmart. Cooked up a piece and the fish tasted like rotten dirt so I returned the bag.

The fish were farmed and likely eating each others feces and they tasted like it. Will only eat wild caught now, being at an ocean that’s easier. 

Edited to Add: It was Walmart’s brand, I should have specified.  “Great Value” is almost always terrible. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Tilapia tastes like dirt to some people no matter how it's grown or caught.  My mother and I have/had that problem.  The only solution is a lot of citrus juice in cooking or even easier simply don't consume it.  It's like the cilantro soap taste for some people.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
(edited)

Tilapia, um, no.  It's #1 on the list of fish never to eat.

It's getting harder and harder to find clean things with contamination of our environment!.

I do think that Janelle tries but does not ever research her choices.

Edited by Cetacean
  • Like 8
20 hours ago, Absolom said:

Tilapia tastes like dirt to some people no matter how it's grown or caught.  My mother and I have/had that problem.  The only solution is a lot of citrus juice in cooking or even easier simply don't consume it.  It's like the cilantro soap taste for some people.  

Taking the fish talk to Small Talk 

• Like 2
(edited)
On 3/1/2023 at 2:23 PM, TurtlePower said:

Not weird. Not to me anyways.

I’d rather have a healthy protein like this in the morning. They eat fish in the morning in other parts of the world; I remember having fish and veg as a breakfast option in Israel.

Not weird to me either.  Lox and cream cheese on a bagel anyone?

It's a good way to get in a healthy protein in the morning, something I am reading older women need to get more of to start the day.

That muffin looks awful, though (and I blew it up and do think it's a whole grain, perhaps gluten free muffin).  I like Schmidt's Old Tyme 6-4-7 English Muffins.  Low carb and low calorie and taste surprisingly good.  Not gluten free either.

On 3/3/2023 at 7:46 PM, Cetacean said:

Part of the issue is the difficulty in taking pictures of plated food.  There is an actual art to it, there are professional photographers that make a living doing it for magazines. Shooting the plate with a cell phone in sub-optimum lighting makes it all look like unappetizing slop. 

And if food is cannot even be identified, that's the ultimate crappy photo.

I'm no photographer and certainly no plating artist either but her food still often looks very sad.  I actually think this plate is one of her better ones.

I put photos of two of my recent meals in the spoiler boxes below.  No special lighting or photoshop involved, just a cell phone, kitchen lighting, some skill, and a whole lot of love.  The first is a photo of the surf and turf dinner I made for my husband's birthday yesterday and the second is a panko baked flounder filet made "Mexican style" with a side of a grain/quinoa with diced veggies, Mexican spices and a mild bottled Chipotle sauce.  And yes, both meals tasted as good (or better than) they looked.  Janelle's cooking just looks uninspired like she is in general, I think.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.576724128908f31a7109a78c7c4bdcf5.png

Spoiler

image.png.7c576ecbc5755c258c2694ee1ddc85c6.png

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 10
12 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I’m sure the dog would turn his nose up at it…

I would love to think so, but, remember, dogs eat their own poop and ours cleaned out the cat box if we weren't vigilant with the gate.  But, maybe Plexus is worse!  😀

• LOL 9
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I would love to think so, but, remember, dogs eat their own poop and ours cleaned out the cat box if we weren't vigilant with the gate.  But, maybe Plexus is worse!  😀

I have dogs like that but I also have one that eats chicken but turns up his nose at ham. I think Jack looks like he has a fairly sophisticated palate…

• LOL 8
On 3/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, ginger90 said:

😔

FC632E28-FFE4-4FAF-9738-0D8466D61906.jpeg

07DAA740-67A4-43B3-B1AB-22DE0677AA00.jpeg

94D1E6C8-9604-4A55-AAF0-B706011C803D.jpeg

This is so sad. Poor Jack, but he was an elderly dog who was much loved.

Janelle gave him a really great life and I know her mom would’ve been so happy knowing he was well looked after. I can only imagine for Janelle this feels like losing her Mom all over again. I inherited my first dog from my godmother in 2021, and I know when he goes it will feel like losing her all over again. 

• Like 10
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, ginger90 said:

8CCA5A8A-245F-4AA2-ACC9-ADE6CFDA27D7.jpeg

191EC844-AA26-405E-A425-56151C51718F.jpeg

I like that Paedon is “her boy” too. Glad to see Janelle spending time with the kids and enjoying herself. I’m sure she so sad to lose her dog and they wanted cheer her up. 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I like that Paedon is “her boy” too. Glad to see Janelle spending time with the kids and enjoying herself. I’m sure she so sad to lose her dog and they wanted cheer her up. 

That's Garrison, Gabe, and Hunter (and his Audrey) though, right?

• Like 10
4 hours ago, General Days said:

That's Garrison, Gabe, and Hunter (and his Audrey) though, right?

You’re right! Garrison looks so much like Paedon in the face.

Sitting down it was hard to tell. Paedon has a larger build and is much taller, but they favor facially. I was mistaken sorry!

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

You’re right! Garrison looks so much like Paedon in the face.

Sitting down it was hard to tell. Paedon has a larger build and is much taller, but they favor facially. I was mistaken sorry!

I do think Paedon hangs (or at least used to hang) more with Janelle's boys, than with Christine's brood.

I think Paedon, Gwendlyn, Garrison, and Sol look like Kody. I'm not sure who Logan and Gabe look like (I think Logan looks like Sheryl, and Gabe might look like Annie/Ruth Ann, but I'm not convinced). I think Ariella looks like Genielle Brown (Kody's mom). 

• Like 1

If you look at the picture of Kody and Janelle's wedding picture, Gabe looks exactly like young Kody, IMO.  I think Ari is a mini-Kody in both looks and temperament - have fun with that, Robyn. :)

• Like 5
  • LOL 8
32 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

If you look at the picture of Kody and Janelle's wedding picture, Gabe looks exactly like young Kody, IMO.  I think Ari is a mini-Kody in both looks and temperament - have fun with that, Robyn. :)

And Gabe & Gwen are practically twins.

• Like 8

I’m kinda going back to the game…

“what the hell is that on Janelles plate?!?!???” 😂

I really can’t tell what it is… but all the resulting talk about different breads reminded me of my favorite bread of all time, there used to be a tiny bakery near my home that had all kinds of unique baked goods made fresh everyday and they had loaves of “Pritikin Bread” omg!!! Sooooo good for sandwiches and delicious toasted as well.

they closed a couple years ago and I started googling “Pritikin Bread recipe” but the one recipe I found didn’t taste the same as the loaves from the bakery…. I wish I would have asked for their recipe before they closed.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I’m kinda going back to the game…

“what the hell is that on Janelles plate?!?!???” 😂

I really can’t tell what it is… but all the resulting talk about different breads reminded me of my favorite bread of all time, there used to be a tiny bakery near my home that had all kinds of unique baked goods made fresh everyday and they had loaves of “Pritikin Bread” omg!!! Sooooo good for sandwiches and delicious toasted as well.

they closed a couple years ago and I started googling “Pritikin Bread recipe” but the one recipe I found didn’t taste the same as the loaves from the bakery…. I wish I would have asked for their recipe before they closed.

My parents would have turned over in their graves if they knew I was paying $7.00 for a loaf of sunflower seed bread. Pulled out the old bread machine and a good recipe and now crank them out for about $2.00.

To relate this to Janelle, she would carry on about the nutritional value of all pure foods...quality flour, olive oil, honey, sea salt, 2% milk, dry roasted unsalted sf seeds and yeast. So good!

Edited by Sandy W
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2
14 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

My parents would have turned over in their graves if they knew I was paying $7.00 for a loaf of sunflower seed bread. Pulled out the old bread machine and a good recipe and now crank them out about a dollar.

To relate this to Janelle, she would carry on about the nutritional value of all pure foods...quality flour, olive oil, honey, sea salt, 2% milk and yeast. So good!

Sorry no matter how healthy it is I couldn't justify spending over $7.00 for a loaf of bread.

• Like 6

It's amazing to see all those pictures of Janelle and her kids. I'm glad they're close and see each other often, especially since Kody seems to have completely abandoned them. Janelle seems able to give them a place to call home and a place to return to for family gatherings,  which is great.

But it also makes me sad as it emphasizes Kody's abandonment of his family. I hate it when a parent turns his/her back on the kids and completely focuses on their new family. Kody is the epitome of that. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 2
On 3/18/2023 at 10:32 PM, LilyD said:

It's amazing to see all those pictures of Janelle and her kids. I'm glad they're close and see each other often, especially since Kody seems to have completely abandoned them. Janelle seems able to give them a place to call home and a place to return to for family gatherings,  which is great.

But it also makes me sad as it emphasizes Kody's abandonment of his family. I hate it when a parent turns his/her back on the kids and completely focuses on their new family. Kody is the epitome of that. 

The thing is, from what we've seen Kody is the father of some pretty amazing, ambitious kids.  You'd think he would be very proud of the adults they've become/are becoming.  Instead he focuses all of his attention on his "tenders," and that apparently includes Aurora and Brianna, since they seem to be unable or unwilling to leave the nest (not sure about Dayton).  My kids are adults and I am super proud of the humans I managed to raise - they are now teaching me to be a better person.  Kody is missing out, plain and simple.  I hope this keeps him up at night but that's Ari's job, I guess.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 3/27/2023 at 6:28 PM, GeeGolly said:

Is Janelle's place open concept? Does she have a treadmill in the middle of her house? Not saying its necessarily a bad idea, but I'd couldn't live like that.

Oh well, Janelle’s never been the ultimate interior designer, has she? And the few interior pictures clearly showed she couldn’t be bothered with unpacking and packing anymore. The rental she lived in prior to the RV adventure was a perfect example with boxes everywhere and some sort of treadmill or fitness bike in the middle of the living room.

I really think she doesn’t care, but I’m sure that the notion of another temporary home doesn’t help either.

• Like 7