Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

He looks a little like Gwen in that picture

If someone had told me Gabe and Gwen were twins, I would have believed it right away. 

• Like 17
4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I think that the car is a Dodge Challenger, considered to be a "modern muscle car."   So it's "funny" that Janelle is driving it around.  

And Robyn told us that a Janelle is a bad driver--wasn't the pick up too much car for her?

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Challengers aren't the Challengers they used to be. Modern ones are basically like loud sedans. And this being a rennal, it's unlikely it has any useful HP to speak of. It's cute that it's purple, though.

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
10 hours ago, monagatuna said:

Challengers aren't the Challengers they used to be. Modern ones are basically like loud sedans. And this being a rennal, it's unlikely it has any useful HP to speak of. It's cute that it's purple, though.

Like an eggplant on wheels!

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
On 5/11/2023 at 12:33 PM, monagatuna said:

You never know. We were given a fancy powerful sports car when we rented in PHX because the car we reserved wasn’t ready. Unfortunately a lot of the roads were cinder/gravel and man did we kick up dust and slide around!!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2

Screenshot from a video:

5D67C973-6B9F-4912-98AC-F4EC9EF65E7C.jpeg

Yes I may or may not have screamed “oh sh*%t!” 15 million times but IT WAS SO MUCH FUN.  I’ve never been rock crawling or on a 4x4 adventure.  I can’t wait to go again!! As I expand my horizons and take “risks” - jumping into the unknown, or a path less, (or maybe never 😂) traveled by me, I find life to be even that more interesting.  Real quality of life exists when you are in a place of growth or expansion.  Thanks @christine_brownsw and @david__woolley for hosting Savanah and I on this little adventure !

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

Is it possible Janelle already had an apartment in town during the season she was supposed to be living on CP? Maybe she just glamped out on CP on the nights she wanted to star gaze or meteor watch. Her explanation that she wanted to force Kody to do something on the land just doesn’t make sense. And Robyn went out of her way to lie about sittin around on CP in order to out Janelle as never being there.
Janelle has always wanted to travel in an RV and it looks like they just decided to use it as a storyline. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

The only thing preventing his head from disappearing completely up his ass is the chip on his shoulder.

Well, if the chip on his shoulder fits then the umbilical cord that attaches Kody to Robyn could be used as a lifeline.

• LOL 16

I don't believe that Sobbyn has ever been welcoming to the OG3's kids.  Contrast that with Christine especially, and Janelle too.  They never put a note on their refrigerators telling the kids to ask the mom before they dared eat anything.  Kootie was too dumb to see how Sobbyn froze the other kids out.  I love it that Christine's and Janelle's kids travel to see them, and enjoy each other.  The SADKRAB kids will never have relationships outside their self-imposed bubble.  

• Like 15
  • Sad 1

It was discussed in the Kody thread that Janelle is the worst off financially- I don’t think that’s true. 

I think when the smoke finally clears Robyn will be the wife in the worst financial position. 

Janelle did sink her retirement in the Lehi house and lose it, but all her kids are adults now, and even if by some twist of fate, Savannah is the really irresponsible one she has to kick out of the nest, Janelle is only in her 50s, with no spouse to split assets with, business on social media AND she worked a salary job for years and paid into social security as a single person. 

Assuming she doesn’t lose her health in the next decade she should be fine. Christine on the other hand still has to raise Truely, never had a work history until reality tv and is looking to marry again (which may come with financial complications). 

Meri only had one kid, and assuming she’s putting something away for the future I think she is the most set for retirement.  

Kody will spend whatever he and Robyn have left, they have two minor children left to raise and unless one of her older children step up and financially support her, Robyn is fucked. I don’t doubt they love their Mom, but I don’t know enough about Dayton, Aurora and Breanna as people to say if they would do that (add in whatever a potential partner may think). 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Just Wondering said:

Maybe she just glamped out on CP on the nights she wanted to star gaze or meteor watch. Her explanation that she wanted to force Kody to do something on the land just doesn’t make sense.

It’s called Janelle Logic. One of her many decisions that didn’t make sense.

• Like 9
(edited)

Hmmm, actually, I think they'll all be able to squeak by, some better than others, and some with the help of their kids.  My breakdown is as follows:

Meri will be fine...she has a house (assets) and some of that land

Robyn will be fine as her "X" is on almost all of the property deeds to the land.  Shell prolly come out smelling like a 🌹 

Janelle will be okay, as Scarlet mentioned she has her SS, her MLMs, and her kids to help her

Christine is going to be okay.  She got the funds from selling her house, she's getting married, she had a MLM or two, and her kids will help her out.

Are they gonna go through retirement without a care?  I doubt it, but in reality how many of us plebs ever get to go that comfortable route?  😃

However, I do believe that Kootie will work til he drops, cause Robyn is gonna want college and nice weddings for ALL or her young'uns!!!

Edited by Rabbit Hutch
  • Like 9
  • LOL 2
18 minutes ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Hmmm, actually, I think they'll all be able to squeak by, some better than others, and some with the help of their kids.  My breakdown is as follows:

Meri will be fine...she has a house (assets) and some of that land

Robyn will be fine as her "X" is on almost all of the property deeds to the land.  Shell prolly come out smelling like a 🌹 

Janelle will be okay, as Scarlet mentioned she has her SS, her MLMs, and her kids to help her

Christine is going to be okay.  She got the funds from selling her house, she's getting married, she had a MLM or two, and her kids will help her out.

Are they gonna go through retirement without a care?  I doubt it, but in reality how many of us plebs ever get to go that comfortable route?  😃

However, I do believe that Kootie will work til he drops, cause Robyn is gonna want college and nice weddings for ALL or her young'uns!!!

And won’t  Robyn and Meri both get social security benefits from Kody?

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

If Mari's social security on her record is equal to or greater than Kody's she will draw her benefits not his. If her is less than Kody's she will be awarded a widows benefit that added to her monthly amount will equal Kody's.  Robyn will definitely draw Kody's social security as she doesn't have much of a work history. If he dies before Ari and Sol turn 18 they will receive benefits and Robyn will also as a caretaker of minor children.  And Truly will receive benefits until she turns 18.

• Like 4
  • Useful 5

I don't think any Brown is set for retirement. Not one. And at this point Janelle and Christine really only have Plexus and TLC to pump up their Social Security and who knows how they claim that income. Janelle had a few entry level jobs and Christine had maybe one, before TLC came a knocking. And TLC is likely going to be gone in a year or two.

Unless they have some secret savings and drastically change their current spending habits, they'll be lucky if they get near $2000 a month in SS payments, again depending on how they all are claiming any income on their taxes.

As far as spousal SS, if I'm remembering my aunt's situation correctly, her husband retired and started receiving his SS and then when she reached retirement age (though she never worked), she started receiving SS off her husband's work history, but she only received half the amount he was getting.

• Like 7
  • Useful 4

Kody would be quite fortunate to receive $2000 a month in social security if he isn't claiming a lot of self-employed income which I seriously doubt that he is.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

Also- forgive my ignorance, but because married people pay less in SS taxes, they also get less in SS when they collect (compared to a single person of the same income)?(I don’t pretend to be an expert on this)

Thats why I brought up Janelle being single- she paid in as a single person and she will collect as a single person which is financially better for her.

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't think any Brown is set for retirement. Not one. And at this point Janelle and Christine really only have Plexus and TLC to pump up their Social Security and who knows how they claim that income. Janelle had a few entry level jobs and Christine had maybe one, before TLC came a knocking. And TLC is likely going to be gone in a year or two.

I think we have different definitions of being “set”. I’m just speaking about being able to make your living expenses as a non disabled person with no dependents. If it’s just you, and you have your health, you can live comfortably on very little. Especially someone like Janelle who has a group of grown children who I think wouldn’t mind gifting her with vacations and presents etc for her “extras”. 

Im also bias because I think getting away from Kody is the best thing to happen for either of them!

• Like 10

Contributing to social security/paying the FICA tax has nothing to do with marital status. It's income based and depends on whether it's wages or self-employment income.

Receiving social security one can receive on one's own record or in the case of a spouse can receive an additional amount to make the check 1/2 the primary wage earner's amount if that is more than the person would receive on their own.  That's for both living retirees.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 5
31 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Contributing to social security/paying the FICA tax has nothing to do with marital status. It's income based and depends on whether it's wages or self-employment income.

Receiving social security one can receive on one's own record or in the case of a spouse can receive an additional amount to make the check 1/2 the primary wage earner's amount if that is more than the person would receive on their own.  That's for both living retirees.  

Thank you!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Kody would be quite fortunate to receive $2000 a month in social security if he isn't claiming a lot of self-employed income which I seriously doubt that he is.

Yes.  I worked for over 30 years in fairly well-paying jobs, and I don't get 2 grand.  

• Like 14
35 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Yes.  I worked for over 30 years in fairly well-paying jobs, and I don't get 2 grand.  

I worked full time at legitimate jobs for over 44 years.  With the recent tiny increase in SS payments, I am at $2K a month. 

I can't imagine him being astute enough to pay into SS routinely; that whole group lives like the money is burning a hole in their pockets.  You know they are spending every dime as soon as it comes in - and not on necessities like health insurance.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

Most folks depending solely on SS will have a hard time making ends meet unless they own their own home or are living rent free somewhere. 

I live in a fairly affluent area and the retirees around me run the gamut. Some barely making ends meet to some building retirement homes in warm climates and living just how they want to.

As noted by others above, all of the Browns will need some significant savings to live comfortably.

• Like 6

Side note:  Social Security was NEVER meant to be a retiree's sole income.  IIRC, it was supposed to contribute about a third.  

I wonder how many, if any, of the original adult Browns have done any retirement planning or even if they've given it a thought.  I think Janelle has mentioned it on the show as either retirement or leaving something for her kids, but the others?  

• Like 12

She referred to the vacant lot on Coyote Pass on more than 1 occasion as her "estate."  The property was purchased in 2018 for $820,000. Five years later it is still just a pile of dirt and tumble weeds. Janelle claiming this is her estate is a pipe dream. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, 65mickey said:

She referred to the vacant lot on Coyote Pass on more than 1 occasion as her "estate."  The property was purchased in 2018 for $820,000. Five years later it is still just a pile of dirt and tumble weeds. Janelle claiming this is her estate is a pipe dream. 

Ah, yup. Real estate as a rule is a good investment, but its still only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Ah, yup. Real estate as a rule is a good investment, but its still only as valuable as what someone is willing to pay for it.

And if I recall correctly Kodouche's name is on all the lots so she would have to share any profits with him.  Sad...

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

And if I recall correctly Kodouche's name is on all the lots so she would have to share any profits with him.  Sad...

I'm sure she must have some dirt on him that he'd get in trouble with the law for, and if she got a savvy lawyer, could put the screws to him to sign over his share to her.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
4 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I'm sure she must have some dirt on him that he'd get in trouble with the law for, and if she got a savvy lawyer, could put the screws to him to sign over his share to her.

None of them have clean hands. They have all except Robyn participated in well planned revolving bankruptcies.  

• Like 11
On 5/30/2023 at 6:23 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I think we have different definitions of being “set”. I’m just speaking about being able to make your living expenses as a non disabled person with no dependents. If it’s just you, and you have your health, you can live comfortably on very little. Especially someone like Janelle who has a group of grown children who I think wouldn’t mind gifting her with vacations and presents etc for her “extras”. 

Janelle made several disastrous financial mistakes in her life. It could have completely ruined her. Fortunately, she doesn’t care much for luxury or big houses. And little “free” things like the outdoors, will give her plenty of joy.  It will help her to lead a comfortable and happy life on very little (to quote your words) once she retires. And I’m sure her kids will be there to support her should it be necessary. 

And these things are why I am a bit worried about Meri for her future. Yes, she is doing very well on her own. But she is also used to certain palatial standards and lots of space. It means a lot to her, so an adjustment to less won’t come easy. And she also doesn’t have a family support network like Janelle…

• Like 11