Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Janelle was struggling with loneliness three years ago. Three years ago she still had kids at home. I just don't see how she deal with the loneliness if she remains in Flagstaff.

I would think this year would be the year to skip Maddie's for Christmas because she knows she'll be there for the birth very soon.

I only mentioned Paedon because Christine made it sound like hers and Janelle's families were going to become one big happy family and I just don't see that.

The kids hanging out with each other aren't going to make Janelle less lonely.

Oh I see where you are coming from now. Sometimes people can be lonely anywhere, even in a big family or in a crowd (I know you know that, I am just pointing it out). Janelle might be in a better place emotionally for herself, so it would be easier for her to make connections with people if she wants them.

In my own personal life, the loneliest I felt in my entire life was summer/fall 2017- I had the same family, same job,( until this past May), same address, but it was an internal thing, I worked on it and I felt better. I did open myself up to build some connections with others and that helped too. Janelle might have been in a similar situation I was in.

I think its possible for Janelle to build a life in Flagstaff (or wherever she wants), I think she has different expectations than she did three years ago, now that she only has to consider what she wants and doesn't have to pretend to accommodate Kody and Robyn. I think there would be a freedom* to that. 

*emotional freedom

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 1/3/2023 at 5:45 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I think its possible for Janelle to build a life in Flagstaff (or wherever she wants), I think she has different expectations than she did three years ago, now that she only has to consider what she wants and doesn't have to pretend to accommodate Kody and Robyn. I think there would be a freedom* to that. 

I have similar thoughts about Janelle and I think she is genuinely happy. I've noticed that a lot of women of similar age or a bit older, are not that interested in finding another man after they've lost their husbands (through death or divorce). Janelle got five very cool kids out of this marriage (not including Madison, who is the least impressive but they are close), and a best friend who helped raise her kids and knows what she went through being married to Kody. The only thing she lacks is financial independence. I wish she would try to achieve it through something other than a toxic chemical brew but I guess she's as entitled as any of them to try to optimize her minor fame. I'm looking forward to hearing more from her next season.

If I were her I'd move back to Las Vegas but she seems to like the more rural feel of Flagstaff. I'm not sure I believe that she really wants to live alone on "the property" though. I think she wants/needs her fair share of the investment but that's it. 

• Like 10
On 1/3/2023 at 11:02 PM, GeeGolly said:

Janelle was struggling with loneliness three years ago. Three years ago she still had kids at home. I just don't see how she deal with the loneliness if she remains in Flagstaff.

I’d say the loneliness stemmed from realising she still had a whole future ahead of her, just not the (polygamous) future she had envisioned with Kody. Janelle had Savanah and the boys back then so she never was truly alone but it isn’t the same as when having a partner you get to share (part of) your life with.

And it also was during the pandemic. We all know how the lockdowns afffected people emotionally and put their entire social life on hold. It probably made an already existing situation 10 times worse in this respect.

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, LilyD said:

I’d say the loneliness stemmed from realising she still had a whole future ahead of her, just not the (polygamous) future she had envisioned with Kody. Janelle had Savanah and the boys back then so she never was truly alone but it isn’t the same as when having a partner you get to share (part of) your life with.

And it also was during the pandemic. We all know how the lockdowns afffected people emotionally and put their entire social life on hold. It probably made an already existing situation 10 times worse in this respect.

Her complaining of loneliness was actually pre-pandemic. She was fine during the pandemic because she was hanging with Christine during that time.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Her complaining of loneliness was actually pre-pandemic. She was fine during the pandemic because she was hanging with Christine during that time.

And they managed to overcome Kody's "divide and conquer" by bonding over their common adversary.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I've noticed that a lot of women of similar age or a bit older, are not that interested in finding another man after they've lost their husbands (through death or divorce).

My mom was like that. She and my father had a monogamous marriage for 28 years and then he died. Since then (over 25 years now), she has consistently said that she does not want another husband or boyfriend. She has never dated. She was very social pre-Covid and many of her pre-Covid activities have started back up. She doesn't seem to be lonely, though both of her children live nearby and she sees and talks to us pretty often. I think she really likes the absolute freedom to do what she pleases, from traveling to having canned soup for dinner because she doesn't want to cook. I can see Janelle being the same way. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

My mom was like that. She and my father had a monogamous marriage for 28 years and then he died. Since then (over 25 years now), she has consistently said that she does not want another husband or boyfriend. She has never dated. She was very social pre-Covid and many of her pre-Covid activities have started back up. She doesn't seem to be lonely, though both of her children live nearby and she sees and talks to us pretty often. I think she really likes the absolute freedom to do what she pleases, from traveling to having canned soup for dinner because she doesn't want to cook. I can see Janelle being the same way. 

A lot of women feel this way- a heteronormative lifestyle isn't as advantageous for women after they have produced and raised biological children (if they wanted them), and as you enter your senior years the sex ratio is skewed A LOT. I find it quite amusing that in ones 20s and 30s so many heterosexual women are GUNG-HO about being partnered (not just for themselves, but for other women) but in their 50s and on they dont care so much. (can you tell I am waiting for the day people stop insinuating I should be partnered??)

Given that I think Janelle is aromantic, she was with Kody to produce biological children she wanted and get those children raised. She wanted his sperm and resources- crass but true. In having Christine as a sister wife she also got a caregiver for the children. She likely had a stronger sex drive when she was younger, and Kody was there to fill that need as well, but regarding the emotional intimacy/companionship part of the human experience, I don't think Janelle ever expected Kody to provide that. Probably one of the reasons she isn't so broken hearted about the breakup.

• Like 12
  • Useful 2

Sad that Janelle is encouraging Savanah to become dependent on chemicals to regulate her digestive system.

Maybe she could drink more water and become more active. If not team sports even walking or hiking should do the trick.

• Like 8
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

🤦‍♀️

793BC83F-F1EE-4696-99DC-FA2FF6DE57A9.jpeg

Just when I start complimenting Janelle on her progress, THIS. Her digestion goes off track every single holiday season. It’s preventable, Janelle!!!! The gym is still open except Christmas and new year day. 

Hope she doesn’t run into contrary Meri while they’re there. 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Just when I start complimenting Janelle on her progress, THIS. Her digestion goes off track every single holiday season. It’s preventable, Janelle!!!! The gym is still open except Christmas and new year day.  

If she would just stop eating crap, she wouldn't have "digestive" issues. And you cannot outrun your fork, she should know this. After all she's some sort of EXPERT is she not? Maybe it was all a joke.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
19 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

If she would just stop eating crap, she wouldn't have "digestive" issues. And you cannot outrun your fork, she should know this. After all she's some sort of EXPERT is she not? Maybe it was all a joke.

This. She’s had YEARS to continue her education in nutrition and wellness. Even if you have some snacks, desserts or a few “off” days, there’s no need for a “reset”. 

I’ll give her credit, she looks like she’s lost weight — but how is she still having the same issues every season? You’d think she’d know by now what her triggers are and to avoid them. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
2 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

This. She’s had YEARS to continue her education in nutrition and wellness. Even if you have some snacks, desserts or a few “off” days, there’s no need for a “reset”. 

I’ll give her credit, she looks like she’s lost weight — but how is she still having the same issues every season? You’d think she’d know by now what her triggers are and to avoid them. 

Maybe she does know her triggers, but, can't resist, and falls back on pink poison.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
25 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

This "reset" is about selling product, imo.

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I know my triggers but I'm not always able to avoid them. I'm not bothered by the fact that she gains pounds over the holidays. Most of America does. But the rest of us don't head for the pink stuff. That's the difference.

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

I find it concerning that Janelle and Maddie endorse children and young adults using Plexus. Never mind the health implications of drinking this pink concoction but no one is fooled by "gut health", the message clearly is weight loss.

It would be very sad if this is the beginning of Savannah living a life of yoyo dieting in the name of her mom making an extra buck.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 13
16 hours ago, altopower said:

I know my triggers but I'm not always able to avoid them. I'm not bothered by the fact that she gains pounds over the holidays. Most of America does. But the rest of us don't head for the pink stuff. That's the difference.

Most of America isn’t a certified “health coach” with extensive knowledge and resources in their memory cache, someone for whom holiday weight gain should be avoidable. Instead, Janelle often comes across as barely competent in the profession.

I know she’s just trying to make sales but it comes across as questionable to me. 

• Like 10
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

It would be very sad if this is the beginning of Savannah living a life of yoyo dieting in the name of her mom making an extra buck.

I would hate that for Savanah too. And I really hope for her that she will have the chance go break away from Janelle and will be able to spend more time with friends. It's nice she travels a lot with Janelle, but I don't think it's good for her.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Most of America isn’t a certified “health coach” with extensive knowledge and resources in their memory cache, someone for whom holiday weight gain should be avoidable. Instead, Janelle often comes across as barely competent in the profession.

I know she’s just trying to make sales but it comes across as questionable to me. 

The AMA recognizes obesity as a chronic medical disease. Once obese, biological pressures actually work against you as the body wants to preserve its fat stores. These and other processes are largely responsible for the high percentage of "diet failure" and regain. It's not a matter of simple will power. It's a complex medical disease.

However, you are absolutely correct. She has all the tools. She has all the knowledge presumably through her health coach certification. So holiday weight gain is evidence of her not using those tools and knowledge. So be it. To each their own.

But she should not be online marketing herself as an expert, selling "resets" and shilling scam drinks which actually sabotage any effort at sustained loss. She's offering very bad medical advice. It infuriates me.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

The AMA recognizes obesity as a chronic medical disease. Once obese, biological pressures actually work against you as the body wants to preserve its fat stores. These and other processes are largely responsible for the high percentage of "diet failure" and regain. It's not a matter of simple will power. It's a complex medical disease.

However, you are absolutely correct. She has all the tools. She has all the knowledge presumably through her health coach certification. So holiday weight gain is evidence of her not using those tools and knowledge. So be it. To each their own.

But she should not be online marketing herself as an expert, selling "resets" and shilling scam drinks which actually sabotage any effort at sustained loss. She's offering very bad medical advice. It infuriates me.

I guess Strive is out the window?

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
2 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Metamucil and a 1.99 charcoal face mask work wonders, gee Janelle, all this for under 15.00. 

True. But it's still nice to treat yourself to some pampering now and then. I usually do it with massage not facials, and not all that often. But I don't begrudge her this. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Not to sound awful, but what do these ladies do? It seems to me much of their lives are all about self-care.

Like they're not working 40+ hours a week or taking care of little ones. So Janelle needs self-care because vacations are too stressful?

This is not to say they don't deserve it or are entitled to it, but putting it out there like they NEED it, is a bit of an exaggeration, in my, work hard for my money, opinion.

• Like 14
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

I’ve priced facials recently  and they are $85-125.00 at the places I’ve checked.  I’d rather apply that  towards acupuncture for a couple of medical issues I have, which my insurance doesn’t cover.  It seems Janelle has a nice lifestyle with a flexible schedule and lots of free time to spend on self care, health and hobbies.  

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I say good for Janelle. I hope she is celebrating her new found life with a massage too!  I can’t imagine begrudging her for this.

I agree, she looks really good and seems so much happier. I suspect becoming more free has helped with whatever her previous mental state was (the dark cloud of Kody).

I’m loving her platinum shade of hair. I know she’s been bleaching for a while, but this most recent shade is statement hair. Both Janelle and Christine look better. The only one who doesn’t seem to look better (yet) is Meri, she relies on her filters to fool everyone (and some are dumb enough to belive the filter is a “new Meri” 🙄). 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3

I'm happy for Janelle that she has finally managed to leave the Kodork, but she frustrates me no end.  Although her face looks a lot thinner the rest of her body doesn't, and considering how long she's supposedly been on this health/weight-loss journey she really should have lost more by now even if she did it slowly.  It makes me wonder just how often she falls off the wagon and needs a "reset".  It goes without saying that I doubt that Plexus stuff is doing her any good either.  

She seems to be one of those people that loses weight from the top down.  She's lost more in her face and upper body than anything below the belly button, and that's where she has the most weight to lose.

Then again how old is she?  I know that around menopause and shortly afterward I had so much difficulty losing weight that nothing I did worked.  I was told that the hormonal changes contribute to this problem.  At her age (53) I was in the middle of all that.  If that is her problem then I take it all back, LOL.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm happy for Janelle that she has finally managed to leave the Kodork, but she frustrates me no end.  Although her face looks a lot thinner the rest of her body doesn't, and considering how long she's supposedly been on this health/weight-loss journey she really should have lost more by now even if she did it slowly.  It makes me wonder just how often she falls off the wagon and needs a "reset".  It goes without saying that I doubt that Plexus stuff is doing her any good either.  

She seems to be one of those people that loses weight from the top down.  She's lost more in her face and upper body than anything below the belly button, and that's where she has the most weight to lose.

Then again how old is she?  I know that around menopause and shortly afterward I had so much difficulty losing weight that nothing I did worked.  I was told that the hormonal changes contribute to this problem.  At her age (53) I was in the middle of all that.  If that is her problem then I take it all back, LOL.

She appears to have difficulty losing weight, but she also has other issues making it difficult for her to stay on track so, doubly challenging for her.

I consistently criticised her because she was claiming to be a health coach, charging money and then coming off as unknowledgeable in the field. I’m happy to see she’s making some progress and seems more confident, even if she’s touting that pink stuff.  Finally, I think she’s starting to come out of whatever it was that was suppressing her within that family dynamic. She probably also realised (finally) that one cannot outrun one’s fork. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

She appears to have difficulty losing weight, but she also has other issues making it difficult for her to stay on track so, doubly challenging for her.

I consistently criticised her because she was claiming to be a health coach, charging money and then coming off as unknowledgeable in the field. I’m happy to see she’s making some progress and seems more confident, even if she’s touting that pink stuff.  Finally, I think she’s starting to come out of whatever it was that was suppressing her within that family dynamic. She probably also realised (finally) that one cannot outrun one’s fork. 

What other issues?  Do you know what they are?  Are they issues with self control or things outside her control?  

Maybe she is having some success now because she is away from that toxic stress-inducing situation with Kodork.  Stress is known to work against weight loss, even if you are dieting and doing everything right.  Even Covid has been a big factor in working against weight loss, so that could be a part of it too.  I know all about that.  And maybe she is far enough past menopause for her hormones to have calmed down enough to make it easier for her to lose weight.

Even so, I still think she could have been further along by now.  I'm full of issues sabotaging my weight loss and I've already lost close to 20 lbs. since September.  Those issues include having the DNA genes called "the fat gene" (I had my DNA tested and was told that, plus it's all down my mother's mother's side of the family after menopause), being short - I'm much shorter than Janelle, which a lot of people don't know also makes it harder to lose weight.  Plus, not to mention the insane stress I was under because of Covid and my father passing away from it.  Plus I'm 11 years older than she is, and it's also known that getting older makes it harder to lose weight, especially for women.  

So I'm beginning to think that Janelle has not been up front about an behavioral issue.  I don't find her very honest and open about her issues and that makes me take a dim view of her in general about this issue, I'm sorry to say.  I don't mean to be a downer about Janelle's weight loss, because if she is now on track, good for her, but like you I have not liked how she has been posing as some kind of health coach when she herself is not being honest and open about her own eating habits and issues, whatever they are.

Take my husband for example.  For as long as I've known him (over 40 years) he complained about how hard it was for him to lose weight, then last year when he found out he had become a type 2 diabetic he finally came clean about how when he was out in the field working he ate all sorts of fast food and fattening garbage I haven't touched in YEARS if not decades.  Meanwhile that's not the impression he gave me!  And meanwhile here I was eating basically diet food all the time and now I suddenly find out he didn't really have a metabolic issue.  His was a behavioral issue.  Since going on a diet he's lost 40 lbs.  I have lost only 20 and I've been doing much more than he is, including much more exercise.  Of course he is a man so any comparisons are not exactly equivalent, but still.  So I'm seeing these things a little differently now than I used to.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 1

Janelle for a long time had a fast food issue.  She admitted it and began by trying to find healthier fast food options.  Then she began the conversion process to more home cooked meals and finally to somewhat healthier home cooked meals.  She really has issues when she travels.  I think her biggest change was ditching Kody and his stress inducements.

I've forgotten the exact number, but I believe she had lost close to 100 pounds.  I can see it not only in her face, but in her legs and midsection also.  She's obviously in smaller clothes now.

I don't mean that to sound like a Janelle apologist.  I'm not.  She surely could have done a lot more and sooner, but she has been making baby steps that are finally paying off somewhat.  She does seem to be a master of self-sabotage.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 11
8 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Janelle for a long time had a fast food issue.  She admitted it and began by trying to find healthier fast food options.  Then she began the conversion process to more home cooked meals and finally to somewhat healthier home cooked meals.  She really has issues when travels.  I think her biggest change was ditching Kody and his stress inducements.

I've forgotten the exact number, but I believe she had lost close to 100 pounds.  I can see it not only in her face, but in her legs and midsection also.  She's obviously in smaller clothes now.

I don't mean that to sound like a Janelle apologist.  I'm not.  She surely could have done a lot more and sooner, but she has been making baby steps that are finally paying off somewhat.  She does seem to be a master of self-sabotage.

I make no judgment about Janelle.  Obesity, and I’m not saying she is, is a complex issue and not moral one.  I am curious about the 100 pounds though…..did she say that?  Just wondering. I didn’t notice anything close to that, but I don’t follow her.  

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I don't mean to sound like a Janelle basher, but I really doubt she has lost 100 lbs. since her heaviest weight.  And I am usually pretty forgiving about that.  If she lost 100 lbs. she would not still be a plus size and she is very obviously still one.  I recognize and even have some of the clothes she has from Kohl's and know.  If I were to lose 100 lbs. from my heaviest weight I'd be a misses size 2 or 4 now counting in the "vanity sizing" these days.  No exaggeration either.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I make no judgment about Janelle.  Obesity, and I’m not saying she is, is a complex issue and not moral one.  I am curious about the 100 pounds though…..did she say that?  Just wondering. I didn’t notice anything close to that, but I don’t follow her.  

She did give a figure in November or December for her weight loss to that point.  Unfortunately I don't remember the exact number.  The best I can do is say in the 80 to 100 pound range.  Another site posted two similar photos of her side by side one from a couple of years ago and a very recent one and the difference was obvious.

Janelle was over 300 pounds at her heaviest wasn't she so yeah she'd still be plus size losing 100 pounds. 

I'm not sure our weight is relevant to Janelle.  If I lost 100 pounds, I wouldn't be alive.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 4
  • LOL 1
6 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

If she lost 100 lbs. she would not still be a plus size and she is very obviously still one.

A lot of people have lost 100 pounds over many years.  So losing 20 and regaining 15 and then losing 5 and gaining 10  and then losing 8 and gaining Covid 15 - the math could round up to 100 but, in reality, you haven't lost a thing!

• Like 3
  • LOL 4