Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, possibilities said:

I think you would have had to have all three names, because the category was three named people, so Ketanji Brown Jackson would be required rather than just 2 of the 3... but I'm not one of the judges.

I was so upset no one knew her name! 

She's new and she wasn't controversial (altho' these contestants do know the most obscure things). 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

I went to the library this morning and who was staring at me from the bookshelf next to my desk but Alex, on the cover of his autobio!  My imagined reason to swap Snickers for KitKats is that long thin sticks seem healthier somehow than heftier bars. ;)

It was surprising to me too that nobody came up with Justice Jackson!  I bet they all (or at least the two Americans) knew it on some level but couldn't spit it out.  Maybe she is still new enough, without her name having yet been in the news too many times since her confirmation, that she hasn't quite made it to the "easy recall" portion of the brain.  I had to fish for it for half a second myself, and I was relaxing over lunch, not under the lights.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Ouch; poor Maureen didn't get on the board until the 27th clue.  I loved her response to Ken chalking her performance up to buzzer issues.

That Supreme Court cases category put me in a bad mood; all but one of the cases asked about were infuriating (in fact, after the first two clues revealed, I thought they were going for that theme).  I was a little surprised by the Jackson TS, since the decision had just been released a few months before they taped this, but, then again, I think most people just call it Dobbs.

No one knowing Ketanji Brown Jackson, though ...

But I got a laugh from Ken's "And I sympathize" about the chess champ losing to an IBM computer.

I only ran Supreme Court and Stanford in the first round, but I did well for a ToC game; I got all but one in travel and "en" and missed two each in the others, which are not strong categories for me -- Shakespeare and, especially, chess.

In DJ, I'd have benefited from bonus points for consistency, as I missed two each in all but one category (onomatopoeia, in which I got all but one).

I had absolutely no idea for FJ, though; it's not my genre, and I've never heard of the novel or the author, so I could have sat here until I dropped dead without ever coming up with it.

• Like 4
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ouch; poor Maureen didn't get on the board until the 27th clue.  I loved her response to Ken chalking her performance up to buzzer issues.

Yes, Maureen was an example rarely seen these days in graceful defeat. ❤️

48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But I got a laugh from Ken's "And I sympathize" about the chess champ losing to an IBM computer

I who ran no categories and have not known any FJs this week should not dare to suggest a correction regarding Ken’s quip, but shouldn’t it have been “empathize,” not “sympathize”?

But speaking to a broad audience of millions, Ken’s word choice was probably best.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Tough game for me today. There are always things I don’t know on the J! board, but this one had stuff I’ve never even heard of. Kudos to anyone who can play at this level.

Now, that’s the Amy I love. Confirms my suspicions that she (and Matt) were just chilling in the exhibition match. Valiant effort by Tyler, though.

I’m looking forward to Matt v Sam tomorrow and honestly don’t know who to root for. I assume Matt will win but I bet Sam makes him earn it.

It’s apparent that Ken loves his hosting gig, but he is clearly having the time of his life in this tournament. It just makes me smile to see. I bet his arms are bruised beneath his shirt from all the pinching.

• Like 3
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I've been getting many social media ads for the tournament.  I'm glad the show is making a big splash but disappointed to see dozens of bigoted remarks about Amy under each one.

That sucks. Amy is the most "normal" of the 3 superchamps, with no annoying mannerisms.  I hope her continued success helps more people to accept other transgendered people 

• Like 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 9
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder if anyone who lives outside of the metro NYC area would know about the Harlem River. It's not even a river. It's a tidal strait (just looked up how it's described) that connects the Hudson to the East River (which also isn't a river). The East River connects the Long Island Sound to the upper bay & then the Atlantic Ocean. 

My husband did, and has never lived in the metro NYC area. But I was clueless, as I often am in geography questions, though I did get the Rhone.

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think you would have had to have all three names, because the category was three named people, so Ketanji Brown Jackson would be required rather than just 2 of the 3... but I'm not one of the judges.

I was so upset no one knew her name! 

I knew her name but it came to me in bits and pieces - it hasn't yet been entered into my long term memory.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wonder if anyone who lives outside of the metro NYC area would know about the Harlem River. It's not even a river. It's a tidal strait (just looked up how it's described) that connects the Hudson to the East River (which also isn't a river). The East River connects the Long Island Sound to the upper bay & then the Atlantic Ocean. 

Hell, I live in NYC and I couldn't think of the Harlem River!

I was like "The Hudson and the...h-East?" 😄

• Wink 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1

I got Hudson & Harlem because my team lost a pub trivia tie breaker with that very question. Revenge is mine hahaha

IIRC Maureen was someone who won despite herself. Seems like someone always missed a big DD or FJ and she won. If I am thinking of someone else, my apologies to Maureen. Her joking with Ken about the buzzer being the reason for her loss was sweet. 

I think Mattea will win it all. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

My dream final group would have Matt, Amy, and probably Sam (though with the game match-ups, that obviously can't happen). I find Mattea impressive and finals worthy, but she's not someone I enjoy watching play.

• Like 9
10 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

That sucks. Amy is the most "normal" of the 3 superchamps, with no annoying mannerisms.  I hope her continued success helps more people to accept other transgendered people 

Per GLAAD guidelines, "transgender" is preferred over "transgendered".

I really like all three superchamps. Mattea's hand waving does annoy me but I try very hard not to hold it against her. I also have mannerisms that are annoying to others. Amy and Matt both to me have nothing annoying about them, but I know Matt's "what's" for every response does irk some people 😉

I don't think any of them deserve the vitriol that has been unfortunately directed at Amy. I remember reading an interview with her where she said she had tried to get on Jeopardy for years, and in retrospect is glad she didn't get on sooner before she transitioned, as she much prefers being on as her real self. Seeing a trans person just being a person is a huge part of the visibility and representation that is so important. It is sad that so much negativity is falling on her shoulders, though.

There are so many good contestants in this year's TOC that it is hard to root for just one.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 13

70% / 63% / 67%

Decent first round - ran Drop the Mic, missed three Celebs and Bestsellers, and one each in the rest. Okay second round (especially for this TOC; this might be my best overall game so far) - didn't run anything but I missed one Spy and two each in everything else.

Did not get FJ, but I got impatient and checked the answer (because I knew it wasn't coming to me) while the Think music was playing and accidentally saw the winner. 🤗

Got all three DDs and the TSes of Under the Banner of Heaven and Mila Kunis. 

I'm sad Sam and Matt were in the same game because I wanted to root for them both. Very happy to see Sam move on. I think I will be rooting for Eric tomorrow, though I like Andrew as well. But I'm also kind of glad it won't be the three superchamps in the finals because I feel like people expect that.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Go, Sam!  I wonder why Matt bet zero for FJ?  That's really not like him, and he pretty much guaranteed he'd lose.  But I'm A-OK with Sam moving on.  My brain went to Italy for FJ instead of Spain, so there was no joy for me tonight.  

I only got the TS of botanicals and Under The Banner Of Heaven.  

That was a great game.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I got FJ.  Not confident, though.

I got the missed clues of evelyn Hugo and Mila Kunis.

I got the entire categories of i and rock wrong.   

Nothing against Matt, but I'm glad that all the superchamps don't end up running over everyone else.

• Like 2

It seemed like Matt was really low energy and maybe just doesn't want it anymore. I thought that during the exhibition game, but chalked it up to "not real money". Now I think either he's not feeling well or he's really just moved on.

It's fine, though. I thought it was still a really good game and I'm happy with how much fun everyone seems to be having. 

Nobody is annoying me.

I love Ken's purple tie. Every time he wears it, I think the same thing. I don't even remember any of the other ones he wears. I also liked Sam's tie today.

• Like 7

I don't think the guys tomorrow can beat Mattea on the buzzer. She is pretty fast.  Glad for Sam, but today was a toss up for me. I would have been thrilled to see John win, but not unhappy about Matt either. 

• Like 1

I also thought of Italy - but I looked at the clue on TJF ahead of time. That was a mistake tonight, I think. Had I heard Ken's pronunciation of Ciutadella I would have realized it Spanish rather than Italian. In my head, I pronounced it "chyoo-ta-della".

Sad about Matt losing, but I love Sam also, so at least there is that.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I'm pulling for Sam and Amy, two nice, quiet, fun contestants. Several times tonight I was so glad I wasn't standing on that stage 🙄 (my responses were wayyyyyy off). I burst out laughing when they finally got to the dreaded celebs category & there was total silence. I guess celebs aren't their thing.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm pulling for Sam and Amy, two nice, quiet, fun contestants. Several times tonight I was so glad I wasn't standing on that stage 🙄 (my responses were wayyyyyy off). I burst out laughing when they finally got to the dreaded celebs category & there was total silence. I guess celebs aren't their thing.

I keep up on pop culture and I had never heard of the $1000 celebrity nor the TikTok dancer.  Even a clue about Rhinana's partner felt too niche.  I personally don't think influencers qualify as celebrities. How does one even prepare for this with movie stars, TV stars, athletes, models, YouTube channels, Instagram, TikTok, and all the video game platforms? The list of possible celebrities is endless.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I keep up on pop culture and I had never heard of the $1000 celebrity nor the TikTok dancer.  Even a clue about Rhinana's partner felt too niche.  I personally don't think influencers qualify as celebrities. How does one even prepare for this with movie stars, TV stars, athletes, models, YouTube channels, Instagram, TikTok, and all the video game platforms? The list of possible celebrities is endless.

I was shocked Matt lost I would have thought he was a lock for the finals. TV Tropes is an excellent pop culture website that I would use if I were going to be a contestant. I think Amy could beat Sam to the buzzer.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Go, Sam!  I wonder why Matt bet zero for FJ?  That's really not like him, and he pretty much guaranteed he'd lose.

Matt would have normally bet it all.
And if Matt had bet it all, Sam would have lost, so why did Sam not bet enough to cover Matt betting it all?
Oops! Thanks, @secnarf!

32 minutes ago, secnarf said:

16800 x 2 = 33600. So Sam did, as he ended with 33601. Matt was banking on Sam getting it wrong, as the only way for him to win.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

It seemed like Matt was really low energy and maybe just doesn't want it anymore. I thought that during the exhibition game, but chalked it up to "not real money". Now I think either he's not feeling well or he's really just moved on

After the Special Exhibition, posters mentioned Matt sounded like he had a cold. I hadn't noticed then, so I listened more closely tonight and did faintly hear it. So maybe Matt was just under the weather. The show was taped September 21, which is about the time he would have come down with colds from returning students' germs. 

Or: Matt said he'd hired an accountant to deal with this winnings. Maybe his accountant advised him to not win any more money for tax reasons????

Regardless, I did flove the game.
And yay that my alternate-universe colleague (aka Sam Buttrey), won!
(and thanks to Sam hearing me yelling "Thorax! Thorax! Thorax!" into my time-travel-capable TV during his DD😁).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I also thought of Italy - but I looked at the clue on TJF ahead of time. That was a mistake tonight, I think. Had I heard Ken's pronunciation of Ciutadella I would have realized it Spanish rather than Italian. In my head, I pronounced it "chyoo-ta-della".

Sad about Matt losing, but I love Sam also, so at least there is that.

It was absolutely Ken's pronunciation that directed me to the Spanish end of the Mediterranean and let me come up with Mallorca and Minorca. It probably helped the contestants as well. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Go, Sam!  I wonder why Matt bet zero for FJ?  That's really not like him, and he pretty much guaranteed he'd lose.

His options were pretty limited since he couldn't bet to get ahead of Sam without falling behind John's score. I think $0 was a reasonable choice. In basically all of his options both John and Sam would have to get  FJ wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Matt would have normally bet it all.
And if Matt had bet it all, Sam would have lost, so why did Sam not bet enough to cover Matt betting it all?

From TJF:

John $12,600 + $11,400 = $24,000 ($10,000) (What are Majorca and Minorca?)
Matt $16,800 + $0 = $16,800 ($10,000) (What Minorca & Mallorca)
Sam $23,000 + $10,601 = $33,601 (What are Majorca & Minorca?) (Finalist)

16800 x 2 = 33600. So Sam did, as he ended with 33601. Matt was banking on Sam getting it wrong, as the only way for him to win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 3
On 11/9/2022 at 9:24 PM, annzeepark914 said:

She's new and she wasn't controversial (altho' these contestants do know the most obscure things). 

They may have been like me: I couldn't remember whether the Brown came first or the Jackson.  I got it right, but it was a 50/50 thing.

Good for you, Sam, for blowing the producers' machinations all to hell.  No Matt/Amy/Mattea final for them.  Woo hoo!  Plus, Sam was my favorite to begin with.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

It seemed like Matt was really low energy and maybe just doesn't want it anymore.

He just hit two players who were as fast on the buzzer as he was, that's all.

2 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Yeah, I think Matt is kinda over the whole Jeopardy thing. I am ecstatic for Sam. Now, I wish he'd been on for weeks. Wish we could get more of him....and yeah, he IS cute....of only he played banjo....sigh...

Why can't it be that he just wasn't good enough tonight?  Why do people have to make excuses?

47 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Nope, even if Matt had bet it all, Sam would've won.  He bet enough to have $1 more than twice Matt's DJ total if they were both correct.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Coming into this game, I didn't think I had a rooting interest, but by the start of DJ I found myself pulling for Sam and was excited when he won.  I'm still hoping Amy or Mattea win the whole thing, but I'm happy to have someone in their 70s in the finals.

I was even worse than the contestants in the celebrities category (I loved Matt asking "Are we done?" after the first clue); the only one I knew was Mila Kunis (thanks to her Ukraine fundraising; I'd have never known it based on her acting roles), and only because it was a TS did I have the time to come up with her last name.  I was pretty bad in bestsellers, too, missing three.  But I did well with the rest of the first round, running organizations and mic and getting all but one in the other two.

I did well in DJ; I missed three in the colors category, but I ran rock groups and "i" and got all but one in trios.  I missed two each in spies and lore.

And FJ was an instaguess I felt rather confident was right, so I had a pretty damn good game for a ToC match.

As for the wagering, Sam bet exactly as he should have.  Matt's choice was nowhere near as clear-cut, and the one he settled on didn't work out for him.  From the archive:

Matt: You ought to wager to cover John, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $16,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $8,400 (to shut out John) or less than $4,400 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by John). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Sam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
47 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Or: Matt said he'd hired an accountant to deal with this winnings. Maybe his accountant advised him to not win any more money for tax reasons????

If that's what his accountant told him, he needs to find a new accountant.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

It seemed like Matt was really low energy and maybe just doesn't want it anymore. I thought that during the exhibition game, but chalked it up to "not real money". Now I think either he's not feeling well or he's really just moved on.

They all played well.  It all came down to who got the third daily double.  Had Matt found it, he likely would have won.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think Amy, Sam and Mattea would be a fun game for me to watch because they all seem to prefer a more traditional style vs. the DD hunting way.

The only thing I could think of in final jeopardy is that it's spelled Mallorca*. 

*I know Majorca is an acceptable alternative spelling but that's not the way I learned it so it seems wrong to me.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

Every time a favored contestant loses there are suppositions of “oh, he was just ready to go home”, or “he can’t handle the pressure anymore and just threw it”. I never understand these comments.

Nobody participates in a contest like this hoping to lose. But sometimes, even the best and smartest contestants have an off day. That’s why Ken isn’t still at podium #1.  I thought this was a really good game, with evenly matched contestants who were all very motivated to win. Perhaps the best game in the tournament so far.

As I said yesterday, I was torn between rooting for Matt or Sam. But I think this was the best result. Matt had an off day, but he had many great days in the sun and no one can take that from him. Sam hasn’t had as much recognition, but he proved he’s worthy of it. I couldn’t be happier for him.

I love Amy, but I think I’m going to be rooting for Sam in the final. Bask in that sunshine, Professor. You’ve earned it.

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 14
32 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Every time a favored contestant loses there are suppositions of “oh, he was just ready to go home”, or “he can’t handle the pressure anymore and just threw it”. I never understand these comments.

And the commentary is particularly vociferous when it's a female contestant knocking off a male champ, so it's oddly almost soothing when folks go a lesser degree of nuts insisting one man beating another must be because the champ threw the game (deliberately or subconsciously) rather than because the challenger, you know, won.

All three played a good game.  Going into FJ, Sam had only one wager to make, while Matt had to choose among strategies.  His bet didn't pay off, and Sam won.  It's that simple. 

And that interesting, that, so far, the super champs are 1-1 in the semi-finals.  Like the phrase "any given Sunday" about how even the greatest team in the NFL that season can lose/the worst can win a game, despite the odds, that's the ToC -- in any given game, it's possible for a super champ to be beaten by a "regular" champ.  I hope Mattea wins her semi-final, and I'd have greatly enjoyed an Amy/Mattea/Matt final after the exhibition game.  But I also find it quite fun there's at least one "regular" champ in the mix instead.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's fine, though. I thought it was still a really good game and I'm happy with how much fun everyone seems to be having. 

Nobody is annoying me.

I love Ken's purple tie. Every time he wears it, I think the same thing. I don't even remember any of the other ones he wears. I also liked Sam's tie today.

I've never bought into the idea of Champs purposely losing but matt......I dont get the bet of $0.  Only way he wins there is if both the others miss FJ and there is no way he thought that was happening.  So for whatever reason yes I think he was just done with the show. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I've never bought into the idea of Champs purposely losing but matt......I dont get the bet of $0.  Only way he wins there is if both the others miss FJ and there is no way he thought that was happening.  So for whatever reason yes I think he was just done with the show. 

Matt was betting so that if he and Sam were both wrong and John was right, John still wouldn't beat him. If he and Sam were both right, Sam was going to win (unless he made a stupid bet and didn't cover double Matt's score).

Ignore me; I misremembered John's score going in.

Edited by ams1001
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The only thing I could think of in final jeopardy is that it's spelled Mallorca*. 

*I know Majorca is an acceptable alternative spelling but that's not the way I learned it so it seems wrong to me.

This is what I'm blaming missing FJ on--it's Mallorca and the other spelling didn't occur to me.

• Applause 1
17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Matt was betting so that if he and Sam were both wrong and John was right, John still wouldn't beat him. If he and Sam were both right, Sam was going to win (unless he made a stupid bet and didn't cover double Matt's score).

No that is quite simply incorrect. John had 12000 and Matt 16800. Sam 23000.  John was correct and easily beat Matt's score with a zero bet.  If he and Sam both missed, John was right would have won.  

If he and Sam were wrong John would have won.  He would have beat both them. John was leading before Sam's bet was revealed. 

Matt's bet made zero sense. The only way he wins that way was is Sam and John were both wrong. 

16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No that is quite simply incorrect. John had 12000 and Matt 16800. Sam 23000.  John was correct and easily beat Matt's score with a zero bet.  If he and Sam both missed, John was right would have won.  

If he and Sam were wrong John would have won.  He would have beat both them. John was leading before Sam's bet was revealed. 

Matt's bet made zero sense. The only way he wins that way was is Sam and John were both wrong. 

But, he couldn't win unless Sam was wrong (unless Sam didn't bet enough), and he might figure that if Sam got it wrong, he would also get it wrong.   If Sam got it right, it didn't matter.

It might not be the bet you would have made, but I wouldn't go so far to say it made 0 sense. There was virtually no way for him to win if all 3 got it correct, so he made the bet for all 3 getting it wrong assuming that they had similar knowledge because the were all in the TOC.  And since he would have lost no matter his bet, it really doesn't matter anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

Matt's strategy betting comes down to this. 

Sam has to miss any scenario where he is correct he loses. 

So it's basically betting against John, simplifying with the way Matt bet last night:

John correct and matt correct :matt loses 

John is correct and matt correct. :  matt loses

John is incorrect and Matt incorrect :  Matt wins

Both are incorrect : Matt wins

Basically  he gave john the chance to win with a correct answer regardless of whether Matt was correct.  Matt rendered his own knowledge vs John meaningless in the final wager

Had he beat to beat John. 

John and Matt correct : Matt wins

John correct matt incorrect :  john wins 

both incorrect :  either could win depends on johns bet but most likely john is going to bet to beat sam so most likely matt wins. Even if Sam bets just to beat matt and matt bets just to beat John if they both miss mayt still wins. 

Matt correct and John incorrect matt wins. 

He wins here in every scenario  unless John is right AND he is wrong. 

In his scenario he only wins if both are wrong. 

Matt bet basically assuming all would miss and John wouldn't bet to beat Sam or him. There was basically zero chance of all that happening.   His betting strategy was either completely awful or he didn't want to win

Edited by DrSpaceman73