Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
8 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm pretty sure I’ve seen that once we’re done with the JIT, it will be all regular game play at least through the current season. Maybe the next?  I know Jeopardy! Masters is coming up at some point but maybe that’s network? I’m not sure. 

Yes, Masters is a prime time/ABC thing; couldn't find the start date other than that it's in May.

I can see Juveria being offered a slot in a future invitational tournament, assuming they continue to do those. 

JIT has 27 players, so nine quarterfinals would run March 20 - April 1, then three semis would be April 2-4. The finals are "first to win two games" (so max four games) which would mean an end date between April 8-10 and regular games resuming at the earliest on April 9th and latest April 11th.

Season 40 ends July 26. 

image.png.f31325a01fdb4f373e450a0adbda453a.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 4

I would've preferred Troy to win but I'm OK with Yogesh. I did laugh a bit knowing how annoyed people would be. It was too long ago for me to care. The only player I have lasting antipathy for is Ryan and I'm vague on the details.

• Like 6

Well that was disappointing. If Yogesh appears again in future, we will be skipping that. His lack of good form and nasty comments should have kept him from appearing again. It was just so graceless.

I am beyond ready for some regular Jeopardy and new faces.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
15 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clue of Cumberland gap, only because it's the only gap I know.

Same here. I'm sure there are many gaps, but it's the only one entrenched in my head.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

The end when everyone was standing there awkwardly was unusual.

And when Yogesh stepped forward between the podiums…what the fuck???  I thought he was about to give a speech in the manner of “Old Yogesh”, or maybe a tap dancing send-off.

15 hours ago, Lady Lucy said:

My suffering is over (until the Master's Tournament). I agree with those above - he shouldn't have been there.  

I would have loved for Ken to have addressed Y’s assheadedness at every opportunity, in his special low-key, slightly snide charming manner.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, ABay said:

I would've preferred Troy to win but I'm OK with Yogesh. I did laugh a bit knowing how annoyed people would be. It was too long ago for me to care. The only player I have lasting antipathy for is Ryan and I'm vague on the details.

Ryan??? What did he do/say?  

3 hours ago, ABay said:

Would that be puppy killer Ryan?

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

That's the one. Wasn't he also incredibly whiny about losing to the point they had him back on?

I didn't remember that.  Maybe someone else on here knows.

IIRC, PK Ryan got FJ wrong, and whined about the clue being confusing. The show relented, and had him back. I don't remember the clue, but I do recall getting it right, and disagreeing that it was written in a confusing manner. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

IIRC, PK Ryan got FJ wrong, and whined about the clue being confusing. The show relented, and had him back. I don't remember the clue, but I do recall getting it right, and disagreeing that it was written in a confusing manner. 

Well, that's two whiney pants who returned to the awful, horrible, terrible Jeopardy. If I were the CEO of Jeopardy, I sure wouldn't let either one of these jerks back on the set. So, were TPTB afraid of some type of legal action from these people?

• Applause 1

Regarding Ryan, it was this clue in Roamin’ Catholics in the 2/2/2018 game. The judges reversed their ruling against Ryan’s response. Since he was the only one correct in FJ, apparently the math was such that he could have won if he’d had the $$ from that clue. J!Archive does not mention whether there was whining involved. 

IMG_1307.png

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hooray!  I finally got an FJ correct!  Boo!  Yogesh won!

And I even got the TS of tuff, Cumberland Gap, and sojournalist.  I grew up quite close to Cumberland Gap, and have been there many many times.  It's a lovely part of the world.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
22 hours ago, possibilities said:

I noticed that Yogesh is trying to be more humble and less obnoxious, but he never did apologize for his bad behavior, and he had plenty of opportunity to do so during his interviews.

And 99% of the viewing audience would have had NO flippin' idea what he was talking about.  I wouldn't have known about any of it if not for this forum.

I'm just sooooooo sick of tournaments though.  PLEASE get back to normal games!  I'm almost, not quite, but almost, ready to take a break from Jeopardy for the first time since the Art Fleming era! 

What the hell is starting tonight, some kinda "invitational" same people AGAIN??  Ugh.  And I can't even switch over to Family Feud because there's a stupid basketball game on that channel!  Maybe I'll just turn off the TV and read something.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

And 99% of the viewing audience would have had NO flippin' idea what he was talking about.  I wouldn't have known about any of it if not for this forum.

Same here, and I'd forgotten all details by the time he returned.  So I went back and read those posts again, and still didn't wind up with any feelings about him one way or the other.

I watched one final game with a couple of friends and one with my mom, and none of them said anything about him.

(My mom said she was rooting for "the one in the middle" and when I said I didn't care who won, but was mildly rooting for Ben, she said "He smiles too much". 😄  My friends didn't express a preference.)

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Having no prior experience of these three finalists, I thought they were all fine. Ben isn't just sweet, but sweet in an odd, offbeat way. Troy is so focused and serious-seeming, it's a delight when he lightens up a little. And Yogesh never bugged me; he's a good player, and I even liked most of his jokes. 

None of them were absolute favorites compared to some quarter- and semi-finalists, but they were all watchable and worthy, for my money. 

Off to try and figure out what the Invitational is actually all about.  

• Like 8
5 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

That's a good point!

(edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 11:27 AM, alias1 said:

I didn't remember that.  Maybe someone else on here knows.

Sadly, the forum member who'd remember that most clearly is no longer with us. RIP @saber5055

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Sad 10
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sadly, the forum member who'd remember that most clearly is no longer with us. RIP @saber5055

If you’re asking about why so many here didn’t like him, search the main Jeopardy! forum for “puppy”.  It would be around early February 2018. 

If you’re asking why he was brought back, I posted the J!Archive info a few posts back. 

• Like 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

If you’re asking about why so many here didn’t like him, search the main Jeopardy! forum for “puppy”.  It would be around early February 2018. 

If you’re asking why he was brought back, I posted the J!Archive info a few posts back. 

Good suggestion. I remember the controversy well.

Edited by Clanstarling
(edited)
17 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What I remember is that it wasn't so much controversy as outrage.

potato/potahto  🤣 I'm not one to split hairs (she says in a bold faced lie).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 4