Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Everyone breathe. We can get through this!

I saw a post on facebook of the list of people invited. I actually recognize a fair number of names...

😡 Sheesh. I may need to take a break, after TOC, until they get back to the regular game.

Edited by annzeepark914
(edited)

March 14 (Happy Pi Day! 🥧):

63% / 47% / 54%

In J! I ran Health & Medicine, missed one in Look at the Map, two in Festivals and Crossword Clues R, and three in Khan (I kept missing the category or I would have figured out two more) and Songs of Youth. In DJ I missed one in It's a Fact, two in Ancient History and Ends in IX, three in Memorials & Monuments, and four in Books by Reporters and Oscar. Had not a clue for FJ.

TSes: (J had 1 + the DD; DJ had 0) I got none.

Yogesh got his mountaineering boots on tonight...

image.png.af332bf7013447588c550e8607042029.png

Edited by ams1001
someday I will find all the typos on the first try...but not today.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

😡 Sheesh. I may need to take a break, after TOC, until they get back to the regular game.

I just need to stop reading comments on the J! Facebook page. No matter what the actual topic of the post, at least half the comments are people complaining about being sick of tournaments. (I don't care that much; I just like to play along. If there are players I like, all the better.)

• Like 9
  • Love 1

As I recall (correct me if I'm wrong, I wouldn't put it past me to have gotten my various irritations mixed up....) the reason people were displeased with Yogesh was that he insulted Jeopardy when he lost, saying something along the lines that it wasn't a real test of knowledge, not pure enough, or something of that nature.

It was rude and ugly, sore loserism, probably based on being super-insecure and getting his self-esteem from the fragile title of smartest person in whatever room.

At this point, he gives off the impression that he's aware he fucked up and is taking the castigation to heart, so I'm over it. I think he's trying to redeem himself and show some humility and grace at this point.

I think these three people are evenly matched, and it's coming down to the buzzer most of the time, plus the luck of who gets the Daily Doubles.

I hope Troy's teacher gets wind of his gratitude. That was touching.

• Like 18

I do feel like Yogesh is making an effort to be personable, he's just so bad at it. He's made a few light comments that have almost landed (for example, I do think the overlord comment directed at Troy was lighthearted) but others, like that "random name" joke could not hide his underlying sense of superiority. ("Obviously I know this, but I'll pretend for a second to be a dumb person.") He just needs to give up the fake cheer because it's not fooling anybody.

Isn't he a psychologist? He has no self-awareness. Nor empathy. Not happy he won today's game. Hope it's his last. 

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, Lady Lucy said:

Isn't he a psychologist? He has no self-awareness. Nor empathy. Not happy he won today's game. Hope it's his last. 

The archive lists him as a social and personality psychologist. I don't know what that means... Maybe he does research?

• Like 2

Well, I was thinking of Kofi Annan, so guessed Ghana and apparently don't know what hemisphere that is in.

I was also mildly confused whether they meant north/south or east/west.

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was also mildly confused whether they meant north/south or east/west.

Same here. I just wild-guessed Australia, since it seems to have a hemisphere almost to itself, and I don’t have a list of UN Secretary Generals and their home countries quite committed to memory just yet. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The archive lists him as a social and personality psychologist. I don't know what that means... Maybe he does research?

Well, according to his interview today he claimed he "has a master's degree in Cinematic Arts Critical Studies" which in the context of that Pretty Little Liars story, would seem to be yet another of his attempts at humor that fell flat. 

I hate that he won tonight. It was very enjoyable to have been two games into the TOC without a win for Yogesh. Now we're three games in and it's, in essence,  a wash. 😕

• Like 7
58 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

That was a good game, but…crap. 

Can someone please tell me the purpose of the Invitational Tournament? Does the winner get a spot in the Masters? 

Yes, plus $100,000.

You can find all the info about the tournament here.

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He certainly isn’t part of the control group.

• LOL 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

yet another of his attempts at humor that fell flat. 

I just caught up, watching the three finals games back to back.  I know I'm predisposed to dislike the guy, but it really did seem like every single attempt at humor, or humanizing himself, or whatever you want to call it, just seemed smarmier and more tone deaf than the previous one.  I suppose it's a no-win situation for him now, at least on the personality front.  (One can hope it's a no-more-win situation on the Jeopardy! front as well...)

Edited by Scott
  • Like 9
(edited)
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The archive lists him as a social and personality psychologist. 

Physician, heal thyself.

3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

You can find all the info about the tournament here.

Great, more games I won't be able to play. At least there are several players I like. And Sam can reclaim "bring it"!

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 7
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I saw a post on facebook of the list of people invited. I actually recognize a fair number of names...

Because the SAME people keep coming back and coming back for all these damn freakin' "tournaments."  I wanna see some NEW faces, please.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

In the Crossword Clues "R" category, the answer was "What's all this noise? (6 letters)." The correct word was "racket." Would they have accepted "ruckus"?

• Like 4
  • Applause 6
3 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

In the Crossword Clues "R" category, the answer was "What's all this noise? (6 letters)." The correct word was "racket." Would they have accepted "ruckus"?

Since I said "ruckus" too, I say yes. 😉

• Like 8
  • Applause 5

Well, fuck.

I had no clue for FJ.  I did realize there was a Secretary General with a Hispanic name but had no idea of his country of origin.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Everyone breathe. We can get through this!

I did too, and actually like some of them (Chuck Forrest was my very first Jeopardy boyfriend and Sam Kavanaugh is second only to Brad Rutter in that department), but still, another damned tournament.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Nary a clue for FJ tonight -- not even for the hemisphere.  Didn't get any TS, either.

Boo, hiss that Yogesh caught up.

I figured it was the Western Hemisphere since the UN is headquartered in NYC.

14 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Yogesh is actually exhibiting some human traits...still don't want him to win!!!

He's like a cyborg who's trying to fake being human.  Unsuccessfully.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I hope Troy's teacher gets wind of his gratitude. That was touching.

Yeah, that really was.

43 minutes ago, HissyFit said:

That was my answer, too, so I'mma say yes.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

Heh heh -- isn't that why people become psychologists? 😆

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people who study psychology are people who have difficulty socially and want to understand themselves and figure out the people around them.

1 hour ago, HissyFit said:

Since they both fit, I think they would.

I think Yogesh is trying. I applaud his effort even if some of it doesn't quite hit the mark. I, myself, have made a joke or two that fell flat in the company I was in, but killed for a specific group of people who understood me.

• Like 7
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, South said:

He certainly isn’t part of the control group.

I can't see him being any kind of therapist..

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Because the SAME people keep coming back and coming back for all these damn freakin' "tournaments."  I wanna see some NEW faces, please.

Me, too, but some of them haven't been on recently and there's no guarantee I'll remember their names. A couple I even remember which tournament they were from (a teacher and a college student).

41 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I think Yogesh is trying. I applaud his effort even if some of it doesn't quite hit the mark. I, myself, have made a joke or two that fell flat in the company I was in, but killed for a specific group of people who understood me.

Without knowing his history I'd be inclined to like him and his awkward-ish sense of humor/delivery. I don't hate him. But I don't want him to win. I think I like both Ben and Troy equally, for different reasons, so I'll be happy with either one winning.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I also said ruckus, so I say it would have been accepted!

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I figured it was the Western Hemisphere since the UN is headquartered in NYC.

So did I, because it was unclear what "its" referred to.  Not the best written clue.  At least Western Hemisphere got me Peru, although Portugal is in the Western Hemisphere too.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think these three people are evenly matched, and it's coming down to the buzzer most of the time, plus the luck of who gets the Daily Doubles.

I agree.  It's been exciting, so I'm glad they're currently all tied with one win each (unlike most here, I am not bugged by Yogesh, so am not upset he won a game); I came into the finals mildly rooting for Ben, but now they're all pretty equal to me and I'm rooting for it to take the full seven games for one of them to get to three.

I instantly knew FJ was a southern hemisphere country and even knew it was a dude from South America back in the '80s, but I could not for the life of me remember what country he was from or his name (not that the clue sought his name, of course, but maybe his surname could have helped me guess a country).  I was impressed all three knew it.

• Like 5
  • Love 1
(edited)

March 15:

43% / 67% / 54%

In the first half of the first round, I got exactly three right. Missed two in Poems, Food & Drink, and On the Web, three in TV Drama, and four in 18th Century and Champ Change (I was having a hard time processing the clues for some reason…). In DJ I missed one in Making a Pass, What the "H"?, and Famous Women, two in Movie Songs and Extinct Animals, and three in Lost Works.

Had no clue for FJ.

TSes: There was one in each round. I got neither.

I got a good laugh from Yogesh's "Well there goes our perfect game…" when they missed the very first clue.

Another big climb and fall to meet in the middle..

image.png.0e30a618b0cde739c118045470f55177.png

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

I said John Paul Jones, changed it to farragut, then decided to go with my first guess.  Glad I couldn't think of any Mac navy men.

Terrible game I had.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

Who won today?  My TV & internet has been out since last night when a large tree fell onto the utility pole.  AT&T just finished the repairs and it's 3 hours past show time.

• Hugs 4
  • Sad 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, laredhead said:

Who won today?  My TV & internet has been out since last night when a large tree fell onto the utility pole.  AT&T just finished the repairs and it's 3 hours past show time.

^^^ this is a link to a thread in this forum that should be helpful. 

My favorite of those are Jeopardy Archive and The Jeopardy Fan

Edited by SoMuchTV
Trying to edit to make this more clear
  • Like 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, HissyFit said:

I said ruckus as well. 🤷 No idea about today's FJ but I did guess Peru correctly yesterday.

Troy continues to astound me with his gutsy wagers, which he answers correctly most of the time, but geez, I am holding my breath. I did feel badly for Troy losing to Ben by a dollar after having such a large lead. Congratulations to Ben coming from last place to winning! I like both Ben and Troy so I am fine with either winning. 

I agree with whoever said up thread that all 3 contestants are pretty evenly matched. 

Edited by ECM1231
  • Like 8
  • Applause 1
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But I got a TS!  I knew those were extinct mussels

I was sort of on the right track as I said bivalves, which a mussel is, but close but no cigar.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
10 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Wow! Ben is, once again, the Comeback Kid! I hope he wins it all, but I like Troy almost as much as I like Ben, so I'd be fine either way. 

Either one.  Let's get this done. 

• Like 9

I was only mildly surprised no one got quiche Florentine correct - thinking maybe they couldn't remember what it was called despite the city hint or were wondering if Ben was wrong that it was a quiche - but was surprised when it seemed to be news to all of them when Ken said spinach = Florentine.  LOL at Yogesh's "There goes our perfect game" when the very first clue was a TS, though.

I ran food & drink, champ change, and 18th century, but those were my only highlights in the first round; I missed a whopping four in TV (I don't watch any of the shows, but correctly guessed Genoa City = Y&R thanks to the years I spent reading Soap Opera Digest back in the '80s and '90s), three in poems, and two in web.

I ran "H" and women and got all but one each in animals and passes, but for the rest of DJ I returned to the terrible form I've had throughout this ToC -- I only got one each in lost works and songs.

I had no idea for FJ. 

It seems from his reaction Ben correctly guessed rather than outright knew, but either way it paid off with a huge come from behind victory; based on how Troy should have bet, Ben not only risking it all but being the only one to get it right was only going to get him to a tie-breaker, not a win, but Troy threw in that extra dollar and Ben had himself another match point.

• Like 3

I knew I was not going to be home so I spoiled myself. Not going to lie, if it had turned out differently I would not have bothered to watch later.

The games are all exciting to watch. I would be happy to see either Ben or Troy win.

• Like 6

I didn't understand the Ben and Troy's wagers in Final Jeopardy! Did they both make clever bets? (I'm pretty stupid about math generally.) Can someone explain?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rejnel said:

I didn't understand the Ben and Troy's wagers in Final Jeopardy! Did they both make clever bets? (I'm pretty stupid about math generally.) Can someone explain?

Ben did, Troy didn't (thus Ben's best-case scenario tie winding up a win).  Here's the J! Archive page with wagering suggestions for this game, with brief explanations of who should bet what and why.

• Useful 3

I knew Quiche Florentine had spinach in it, but I didn’t know it was called Florentine because of the spinach. I always assumed it was named for the city.

I kind of had a FJ win today, but it was a team solve with the husband so doesn’t count. Maybe a half score?

Not that Ben needs anyone to hand him a win, but this is the second time he has benefited from bad wagering. First by Yogesh, who was focused on Troy, and now by Troy, who was betting to beat Yogesh. They need to start remembering Ben is there, or he will quietly take the whole thing. 

• Like 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Not that Ben needs anyone to hand him a win, but this is the second time he has benefited from bad wagering. First by Yogesh, who was focused on Troy, and now by Troy, who was betting to beat Yogesh. They need to start remembering Ben is there, or he will quietly take the whole thing.

I hope these wagering scenarios will find their way into one of Ben’s Philosophy course lectures.

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

kind of had a FJ win today, but it was a team solve with the husband so doesn’t count. Maybe a half score?

Are you known as the “better half”?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I'm okay with that... ;)

• Like 9