Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

pulchritudinous.  Probably didn't spell it right, but spelling doesn't count.

You did spell it right!

• Like 4

I have two questions: What was so funny about pulchritudinous - after Ken said it, everybody chuckled.  I didn't - I was too busy patting myself on the back for getting it.

And who the heck is Barinholtz?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I have two questions: What was so funny about pulchritudinous - after Ken said it, everybody chuckled.  I didn't - I was too busy patting myself on the back for getting it.

And who the heck is Barinholtz?

I’m not sure if #2 is a rhetorical question, but Barinholtz was the winner of Celebrity Jeopardy! and a sorta-tv star and comedian. Speaking for myself, I was hoping he’d make a decent showing after I’ve seen so many comments online about what a travesty it is that a Celebrity got a ticket to the TOC. Let’s say he exceeded expectations. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 5
37 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Ovid because he's literally the only ancient Roman poet I can name.

34 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Me too!

Me three!

I was rooting for Ray but it's kind of exciting that the Celebrity Jeopardy! champ advanced in the TOC! Kudos to Ike.

The only thing I hate is that people who may be able to beat Yogesh are dropping like flies. Anything could happen, but the odds aren't looking too good.

• Like 5

I pre-guessed Ovid when I saw the category -- also because he's the only one I can name.  Fortunately, I stuck with it when the clue was revealed.

I also got the TS of Gibson, figuratively, and carbohydrate.

• Like 3

There has always been speculation about how a Celebrity would do in regular Jeopardy, especially since (it seems) Celebrity Jeopardy questions are a bit easier. I think Ike answered that challenge!

• Like 13
34 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

There has always been speculation about how a Celebrity would do in regular Jeopardy, especially since (it seems) Celebrity Jeopardy questions are a bit easier. I think Ike answered that challenge!

I’m kinda hoping Brendan Hunt (Coach Beard) will get back into the contestant pool and make it onto J!  Seriously, just because your job happens to be “actor” doesn’t mean you can’t cut it on Jeopardy!

• Like 8

I'm very excited for Ike. He's definitely not dumb. I think some of the categories helped him out, but shoot, I didn't know Ovid.

• Like 8

Perhaps Emma Stone should change her stance about not appearing on Celebrity Jeopardy!  I'm sure many here have heard that Ms. Stone takes the online Jeopardy! test annually. "I apply every June," Stone said. "I don't want to go on 'Celebrity Jeopardy!' I want to earn my stripes."

Seems to me that Ike earned his stripes tonight! 

From USA Today (Jan. 12, 2024):

Emma Stone applies to be on regular 'Jeopardy!' every year: 'I want to earn my stripes'

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

It seemed like Ike felt kind of bad about winning. I’ll admit, as well as Ike did in CJ, I thought that the other two champs lucked out in that they really only had each other to battle. Shows what I know!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

The only thing I hate is that people who may be able to beat Yogesh are dropping like flies. Anything could happen, but the odds aren't looking too good.

Well...if Mr Gloom wins and eventually gets to the Masters, he faces James & Mattea. 

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well...if Mr Gloom wins and eventually gets to the Masters, he faces James & Mattea. 

Well, if anything would make me root for Mattea, it'd be Yogesh playing against her (though I'd probably root for whoever the third player is, to be honest).

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I was disappointed that nobody knew Roz Chast; I love her work!

I also knew figuratively, prohibitionist, pulchritudinous, and carbohydrates.

FJ was right up my alley, but I thought it might be hard for non-classicists. Obviously Ovid is better known than I thought.

• Like 4

I was rooting for Ike just because I wanted the Celebrity winner to really be a legit competitor and was hoping the other two wouldn’t crush him. Very cool that he won! And on (IMO) a not-easy FJ! I didn’t even have any inkling of a guess for that one. 

• Like 6

Some heavy hitters are going out early in this tournament! First Cris, now Ray. 

I did not expect Ike to take this one, but I’m happy he did. I’ve heard several interviews with him over the years, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy. And clearly smart, even though he tends to play dumb guys on TV.  Fun fact: his dad, a lawyer with no previous acting experience, played the judge on Jury Duty (mockumentary with James Marsden). He was in the audience today and looked shocked, although obviously pleased, at his son’s victory. 

6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

(So if Ike wins the whole thing, does the money go to charity or does he get to keep it?)

I wondered that, too. I assume it’s his to keep if he wants to, but I think it’s likely most would go to charity.

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What was so funny about pulchritudinous - after Ken said it, everybody chuckled. 

I can’t speak for the contestants, but their faces looked kind of like mine, as in “whaaat… is that word?” Never heard it.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

Thank you. Yes, he's done a ton of stuff, but the only two things I've seen were Mark Felt and Late Night.  I do not remember him.  <shrug>  Yeah, I'm old.  As long as he does well on J!, I'm good with it. Actually, I'd LOVE for the "Celebrity" to take down Yogesh. Bwaahahahaha

• Like 4
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Thank you. Yes, he's done a ton of stuff, but the only two things I've seen were Mark Felt and Late Night.  I do not remember him.  <shrug>  Yeah, I'm old.  As long as he does well on J!, I'm good with it. Actually, I'd LOVE for the "Celebrity" to take down Yogesh. Bwaahahahaha

I remember him on MAD TV! Now THAT's old! 😉

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

...I wanted the Celebrity winner to really be a legit competitor and was hoping the other two wouldn’t crush him. 

Me, too. I was glad they were all pretty evenly matched. I looked at the Coryat section on the archive last night (which I don't usually pay much attention to), and Ray and Ike both had 17 correct answers, Ray had zero wrong and Ike had three; Melissa had 14 and 1, respectively. (Not including FJ, which Ray and Ike both got right.) Plus several that no one rang in on.

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

(Re: pulchritudinous) I can’t speak for the contestants, but their faces looked kind of like mine, as in “whaaat… is that word?” Never heard it.

It feels like a Dickensian sort of word; I wonder if that's where I've seen it. I've always thought it's kind of an ugly-sounding word that doesn't match its meaning.

• Like 4
(edited)

I am so bummed that Ray lost. So far none of my favourites has made it through.

I did get FJ but, like so many, only because he was the only one I could come up with - was very surprised that it was correct.  I also got pulchritudinous.

How is it that every winner is going to the semifinals?

Edited by Trey
  • Like 3
  • Hugs 1
Just now, junemeatcleaver said:

I don't see anything wrong with Ike getting to keep the money.  It's not like he'd be the only Jeopardy! contestant that's pretty well off.

I don't, either; the celeb tournament is specifically for charity and now he's playing on his own. I have a feeling he'd get some criticism if he didn't at least donate some of it, though (not that he should have to). But then people criticize everything. (They shared the video of Ray's interview bit with his brother on facebook and 90% of the comments were people complaining about a celebrity being included in the TOC. The video had nothing whatsoever to do with Ike.)

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What was so funny about pulchritudinous - after Ken said it, everybody chuckled.  I didn't - I was too busy patting myself on the back for getting it.

It's a funny-sounding word, and also a word that doesn't sound like it should mean "beautiful."

• Like 10
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

How is it that every winner is going to the semifinals?

Because these are the quarterfinals---9 of them, with each winner being one of the 9 semi-finalists (used to be, only 5 quarterfinal games, with the 5 winners and the 4 highest non-winners moving on to the semis).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, crap.  All the people for whom I was rooting have lost so far.  Maybe I should start supporting the contestants I hate.

I also got FJ because I know exactly one ancient Roman poet.  Didn't know he was the correct answer but Ovid was all I had.

14 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m not sure if #2 is a rhetorical question, but Barinholtz was the winner of Celebrity Jeopardy! and a sorta-tv star and comedian. Speaking for myself, I was hoping he’d make a decent showing after I’ve seen so many comments online about what a travesty it is that a Celebrity got a ticket to the TOC. Let’s say he exceeded expectations. 

I'd never heard of him before Celebrity Jeopardy and still hate that he got a ticket to the TOC.  And yes, I'd have felt that way about other celebrities as well.

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was disappointed that nobody knew Roz Chast; I love her work!

I also knew figuratively, prohibitionist, pulchritudinous, and carbohydrates.

FJ was right up my alley, but I thought it might be hard for non-classicists. Obviously Ovid is better known than I thought.

I think he comes up on Jeopardy often enough for fans to remember that he was a Roman poet.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't want him to win the whole shebang, but if the alternative is Yogesh . . . 😱

• Like 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

(Re: pulchritudinous) I can’t speak for the contestants, but their faces looked kind of like mine, as in “whaaat… is that word?” Never heard it.

It feels like a Dickensian sort of word; I wonder if that's where I've seen it. I've always thought it's kind of an ugly-sounding word that doesn't match its meaning.

The place I know it from is kind of odd I guess, when I was hs/college age I used to read a series of books my Mom had, they were by an author called Dell Shannon (a pen name, one of a few) it was about the Homicide detectives in LA. In one book they show up to a killing and find out the guy killed the other guy for 'insulting his wife' yep, he had called her pulchritudinous! I don't remember if a character explained what it meant or if I looked it up but I have known the word since then.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I pre-guessed Ovid when I saw the category -- also because he's the only one I can name.  Fortunately, I stuck with it when the clue was revealed.

My husband pre-guessed it (silently, as per our rules) I had no clue. I blame it on not getting into the humanities class all my friends were in (my fellow geeks of the male persuasion flirted with Ovid quotes, LOL). I won't go into my sad/mad story about why I didn't get in. I was robbed!! LOL

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I recognize him from The Mindy Project. He's been in a lot of stuff, though I don't know if he's ever had a leading role.

That's where I recognized him from during Celebrity Jeopardy.

I thought it was weird precedent to set giving him a TOC seat. But I'm happy that he won that round (even if I was rooting for Ray). I was worried he'd crash and burn with such good opponents. I don't like to see anyone (well most anyone) fail spectacularly. Even on Celebrity Jeopardy, where it's not that uncommon.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't want him to win the whole shebang, but if the alternative is Yogesh . . . 😱

Anybody but Yogesh... that's where I'm at in this TOC. 

• Like 10
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Me too, thanks to the NY Times crossword puzzle.  Ovid makes an appearance at least once a week!

• Like 3
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I've always thought it's kind of an ugly-sounding word that doesn't match its meaning.

That's why it sticks in my mind.  I wasn't home last night, and just skimmed the archive, but I know if I'd been playing I'd have got that one.

I didn't get FJ, though, despite Ovid appearing so often on J!  Maybe I miss each and every one of those clues.

It amused me at the time that they waited until after the Celebrity J! tournament played out to announce the winner of that would get a slot in the Toc -- they wanted to see if it was someone who could hold their own, or someone who just happened to be the least bad.  It wound up being a pretty good season, and certainly a good final round, so they let the winner in.  I figured Ike wouldn't embarrass himself, but I was pretty damn surprised when I read he won.  Especially going up against Ray (whom I recognized as soon as I clicked on his picture).  I suppose I should have figured -- this tournament is not at all going the way I expected, or the way I want (I'd have been rooting for Melissa last night).

• Like 3

March 5:

80% / 47% / 64%

Wow, a legitimately good round in a TOC game! Ran History Books and Names in Fashion, missed one in Animals and Words In Colonel Jessup's Big Speech (good thing you didn't need to have seen the movie), and two in TV in the Aughties and Getting Together.

And then I tanked DJ. Missed two in Have Faith and "O-U-R" Something, and three in everything else.

But FJ was an instaget. And Ben changed his answer from it! I feel smart.

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 5 + 1DD) I got big feet, peace be upon him (DD), and mourning cloak butterfly.

I liked Emmett's story about meeting up with Martha and her autographing the book from the clue she beat him on. Sorry he didn't make it to the end of the game (though it was his own fault; I wouldn't have bet everything). I think he misread the clue and didn't get what it was asking for (same for the "big feet" clue, but then no one else even tried that one so maybe they all did).

Regarding Ben's splurging on glass containers, I get it.

Finally the one I was rooting for won! But I liked everyone (even sort of remembered Justin and Emmet once they started playing).

• Like 4

I said Thorium.  At least it wasn't completely stupid.

I got the missed clues of luxury, prostrating and mourning.  Sounds like a really weird indy movie.

Not a good night.  

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Finally the one I was rooting for won! But I liked everyone (even sort of remembered Justin and Emmet once they started playing).

Exactly what I was going to say! Sorry for Emmet, though... liked his attitude. And Justin was so sweet to wish Ben good luck 😊

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

I loved Emmett's story about his cross-country trip, and Ben is my kind of person, re-using containers and then going for the "luxurious" glass ones to celebrate his win. It was a fun game.

I wanted to say that I don't think it's wrong if Ike wants to keep his winnings and not donate them. I was just curious. Also, I felt happy for him to be able to put to rest the "I thought you were dumb!" comments. Some of his roles might make him look dim, but that's acting! 

Globle didn't help me with the mountains. I need a mountain game!

• Like 4
(edited)

Congrats to philosophy prof Ben Chan!

I'm okay with my wrong FJ guess of Plutonium because:

1. Same first letter as Promethium.
  2. Having recently watched Oppenheimer, a god of the underworld (Pluto) seems appropriate for 1940s research that involves uranium.
  3. It was at least first synthesized and identified in 1941, so same decade.

My only TS was prostrate.

Congrats to Ike Barinholtz too!

Some of the Celebrity Jeopardy! questions were easier, but there were more of them since there's a third round, including some toughies
(j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=pcj).

Plus, Ike then holding his own in the "real" Jeopardy! TOC says it all to me.

In Ike's Celebrity Jeopardy! final game, Wil Wheaton and Patton Oswalt held their own too.

Likewise in the Celebrity Jeopardy! final game with Mo Rocca vs. Lisa Ann Walter vs. Katie Nolan.

Edited by shapeshifter
"prostrate" not "prostate" LOL
  • Like 7

Election coverage tonight, so I just checked the archive.  The only contestant I recognized from their pictures was Ben.

The confab TS surprised me.  I was also a little surprised no one guessed prostrating as something one would to do "lay flat" in a temple, but maybe it was simply that no one wanted to risk $2000 on a guess.  The Boondocks as a TS was a bummer (I rarely watched the show, but I loved the comic strip).

I didn't run anything in the first round, but I got all but one in everything but animals, in which I missed two.  I might have ran fashion if I'd been able to see the picture of Diane von Furstenberg, but it's entirely possible I wouldn't have been able to pull it from the recesses of my brain (I probably would have got as far as Diane von Something) so I'm not giving myself credit.

I wish there were points for symmetry, as I didn't run anything in DJ, either.  I got all but one in Alex, but otherwise that round was sponsored by the number two -- I missed two each in everything else.

I had no idea for FJ.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I can’t speak for the contestants, but their faces looked kind of like mine, as in “whaaat… is that word?” Never heard it.

Pulcritudinous is one of those first year Latin words you learn and then try and sound like a smarty pants when you use it. That’s the only reason I know 75% of what I know, 5 years of Latin. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I wonder if Lisa Ann Walter is feeling the pressure now…

Good for Ben, but he needs to up the confidence level if he’s going to take on Yogesh. I know it was just his buzzer stance, but he even looked like he was clutching his heart for much of the show.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Thorium.  At least it wasn't completely stupid.

Same here. I’m still swimming in donuts, but at least I can dunk alongside the champs.

• Like 4

Yay Ben! He can hopefully take care of Yogesh!

I shocked myself by actually guessing FJ right! All thanks to “Oppenheimer.” It opens with a quote about Prometheus bringing fire from the Gods, and with the book being called “American Prometheus” I guessed “Promethium” even though I have never actually heard of that element before!

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Catching up from Tuesday night, an archive game for me -- I did not get FJ.  I said plutonium.

But I did get the TS of big feet, prostrating themselves, and mourning cloak butterfly.  I feel like I would have gotten clouded leopard if I'd been able to see the picture.

• Like 5

Did Troy sit in a chair during his original run?  At times he looked like he was going to tip over.  I wonder if he injured his back prior to taping.  He could take on Yogesh and win. Fingers crossed.

• Like 10