Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

42 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Nobody loves Yogesh.... how did he get into the TOC?????

Maybe they debated whether inviting him or excluding him would cause more drama.... (And/or maybe they want the drama...)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
25 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Maybe they debated whether inviting him or excluding him would cause more drama.... (And/or maybe they want the drama...)

I don’t think they’re averse to the drama. If it brings in viewers, they’ll take it.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe he's got another side???

There’s only one side I want to see: the one that’s walking away.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1

I missed last night (book club). I'd forgotten about the Episcopal minister but now remember that I disliked him. I don't remember him swaying...that was a Ray specialty. Wow! After all the badmouthing that Yogesh did about Jeopardy!, I can't believe he was invited back. I might make popcorn for this one 🍿

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

We shall see…
tonight

You're a kind person 😁  Wish we could sit in the same room to watch dear Yogesh.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't remember him swaying...that was a Ray specialty.

I don't always notice stuff like that and it may or may not bug me if I do, depending on the person (if I like them otherwise it bothers me less). But after it came out that Ray does it because of a back injury I gave him a pass.

• Like 2
On 2/26/2024 at 7:35 PM, Katy M said:

I said Botticelli.  No reason.  Just guessing an Italian artist.

I adore the Pre-Raphaelites, especially Waterhouse, so that FJ was an instaget.

I'm so sad that Cris lost but Jared did what he absolutely had to do to win, so good for him.  Really, any of those contestants would've been fine, but Cris is so cute. 😪

On 2/26/2024 at 8:28 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Well...this was a surprise (maybe because I never saw Jared before or just don't remember him). What happened to Cris?

I think Jared finally managed to get faster on the buzzer in DJ and then he hit both DDs and bet big.

On 2/27/2024 at 8:41 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I remember enjoying the series Desperate Romantics about the pre-Raphaelites but La Fornarina meant nothing to me and I didn't make the leap.

I'm not familiar with that particular painting but the time period and the inclusion of the RAA's love of the artist screamed Raphael to me.  But then again, art history is a great subject for me and I especially love the Pre-Raphaelites.  (Side note: if you're ever in the vicinity of Wilmington, Delaware, and need something to fill a few hours, the Delaware Museum of Art has a collection of Pre-Raphaelite paintings.)

On 2/26/2024 at 8:41 PM, dgpolo said:

I think I read a mystery once that used that painting for something or other?

Not sure about the Millais Ophelia, but Henry Wallis' Death of Chatterton was mentioned in one of the early Richard Jury mysteries by Martha Grimes.

On 2/27/2024 at 11:33 AM, Clanstarling said:

I was shocked too. I expected to do well in 70s Rock - but didn't get a one, as they were all bands I didn't pay particular attention to. Then, to my annoyance, the mister got every single darn one of them. 🤪

I got all of them except Boston.  For some reason I thought the band member on the far left was Steve Perry and said Journey instead, despite the mention of Massachusetts in the clue.  D'oh.

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

It's rare that I root against someone, but I will tonight. The other two names are familiar but I don't remember if I had any strong feelings about either of them.

I found Jake to be incredibly annoying, so I'm rooting for Nick, who I don't actually remember at all.  But even Jake would be better than Yogesh.

5 hours ago, Trey said:

FJ was not an instaget but I did get it in reasonably good time. My son poohpoohed my answer so I was happy to say HA! when I was right since military history is his wheelhouse.

I usually do okay with military history clues but not this one.  I said nuclear submarine.  I knew the year had to be significant but I just couldn't make it work.  This despite having watched Bridge of Spies, which involved the effort to get Francis Gary Powers back.

5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I remember David from his original run and was actively rooting for him. He only wore his collar once because he wanted to show that a priest could be a regular guy. He has a great sense of humor. I'm glad he won.

I was rooting for Yungshang but David was an acceptable winner too.  Didn't care for Hannah during her original run and still don't.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Reminds me of when someone accused Abraham Lincoln of being two-faced. Lincoln replied, "If I had another face, do you think I would wear this one?"

• Applause 1
  • LOL 9
13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I don't always notice stuff like that and it may or may not bug me if I do, depending on the person (if I like them otherwise it bothers me less). But after it came out that Ray does it because of a back injury I gave him a pass.

I always assume there's a physical reason for it when a contestant sways like that.  Mostly because I probably did during my game and in my case, it was the need to shift my weight from one foot to the other in order to stand comfortably.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t think they’re averse to the drama. If it brings in viewers, they’ll take it.

There’s only one side I want to see: the one that’s walking away.

I usually don't mind Jeopardy contestants but I can't stand Yogesh. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I found Jake to be incredibly annoying,

I was thinking that, too, but I wasn't sure. Guess we'll find out in a few hours!

Catching up from Tuesday night -- I didn't get FJ, but feel like I should have done.  It was so obvious after the correct response was revealed.

I did get the TS of pleat, New Mexico, Gombe, and Ransom of Red Chief, which is an awesome story.

• Like 3

I said secretary of state.  Mostly because I couldn't think of anything else that alliterated.  Not because I thought either of them were secretary of state or that that is a job you would get with a coin toss.

I got the  missed clue of Kazakhstan.

I got the entire category of histor"e" right and the entire category of actors wrong.

• Like 4

February 28:

67% / 47% / 56%

Man, what a terrible game. J! was almost decent...I ran The Emmys, missed one in Shall We Dance and Feeling Charitable, two in Histor"E", and three in Alliterative Phrases and That's in Asia; but in DJ I missed two in Stamps, Women in Lit, In the Dictionary, and Lesser-Known Science, and four in Tombs and British Actors. Only got one DD (in the first round). I'm typing this during the commercial break but I have zero confidence in the FJ category...

…yeah, I had no clue. 

TSes: (J had 2; DJ had 1 + 1DD) I got none of them.

Okay, yeah, Jake annoyed me last time (not so much tonight) but I still rooted for him over Yogesh. But I actually liked Nick (I remembered him once I saw him) so I wanted him to win. Broke my heart when he lost that second DD cuz it was obviously over for him right there.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yogesh can just fuck the hell right off.  What an asshole.

For something specific today, or just in general?

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, opus said:

He's so rude he barely congratulated the other contestants. I think he did the same thing the first time he played.

• Like 6

Well, I'm 0 for 3 in FJ this week.  I just couldn't come up with anything.

I did get the TS of Kazakhstan on a wild-ass guess, and trees because I actually knew that one.

I really really wish Nick hadn't missed that DD.

• Like 8

My little buddy Jakey was doing so well in Jeopardy...I got excited. Then, the Prince of Gloom took over. I can't wait for someone to beat him. I know I'm the only fan of Jake here. I was glad to see a much more mature Jake this time around. I still do what I call The Jake gesture whenever I guess or do something right/great 😁

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

My little buddy Jakey was doing so well in Jeopardy...I got excited. Then, the Prince of Gloom took over. I can't wait for someone to beat him. I know I'm the only fan of Jake here. I was glad to see a much more mature Jake this time around. I still do what I call The Jake gesture whenever I guess or do something right/great 😁

No, you're not the only Jake fan 😊

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Globle got me two correct responses tonight, including one TS. 

I got FJ. Sometimes it pays to be an obsessive political junkie.

Was Jake the one who had the controversial moustache before? If so, I recognized him. If not, then I didn't. LOL.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

He's so rude he barely congratulated the other contestants. I think he did the same thing the first time he played.

No group hug tonight :(  I really was not happy to see Yogesh

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Was Jake the one who had the controversial moustache before? If so, I recognized him. If not, then I didn't. LOL.

No, he was just very young and made some alarmingly enthusiastic noises and movements when he was doing well.  

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Broke my heart when he lost that second DD cuz it was obviously over for him right there.

If Yogesh and Jake had stayed neck and neck Nick could have come up through the middle, but Yogesh was far enough ahead at the end that he wasn't going to have to lose enough to make that happen. I would have liked to see a closer game but Yogesh played well and deserved the win. 

I felt very smug because I knew impromptu because of the movie with Hugh Grant as Chopin.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

The Kazakhstan TS surprised me; I would have thought at least one of three J! contestants (especially the one who apparently takes part in every quiz competition out there) would know that's the big one, but I was most surprised that no one even guessed a -stan that early in the game.  Laundry list surprised me, too.

I had a great first round, utterly fantastic for a ToC game -- I got all but three clues (two in Emmys and one in dance).

But then came DJ.  Ouch.  Didn't run anything, didn't even come close.  I missed three each in tombs, science, and lit, and two each in the rest.  And I didn't start getting much of anything until they got to the top half of the board, so it was like I'd taken a vow of silence for a while.

I got FJ, which is more than any of the contestants can say, so there's that.

I don't remember Yogesh or Jake bugging me the first time around, so I checked my posts from their games and, nope, all I ever said about Yogesh was he's hella fast and I had nothing on Jake other than being puzzled by him saying he had a FJ half right when he didn't.  I remember the hoopla around things Yogesh said after his episodes aired, but only what was summarized here (and the balanced takes made the most sense to me); I never read any of his actual posts.  So I didn't much care who won tonight.  (I'm still bummed about Hannah being out of the tournament; I'm not sure if there's anyone else I'm excited about as I haven't looked at a master list of participants [which with most people would have to include photos for me to have any hope of remembering them].)

• Like 4
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Jake didn't have the controversial mustache. That was Brian Henegar. He'll be playing on Friday. 👨

• Like 1
  • Useful 3

Well damn.

The complete non-hugging or congratulatory behavior at the end was very noticeable after the pleasantries  shown by every other ToC contestant the past few days. Yogesh looked like he wanted nothing to do with the other two and kinda waved them away.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Jake didn't have the controversial mustache. That was Brian Henegar. He'll be playing on Friday. 👨

I just looked him up. This was the guy who had a strange little mustache & his hair was slicked down, parted on the side. Reminded folks of Hitler. I bet he has a new hairstyle & shaved that mustache. Can't wait to see him!

• Like 2

Getting caught up in what feels like the thirty-seventh consecutive tournament, and at least they finally brought back people that I remember!  Of course, nobody that I actually wanted to win has won any of the games so far, so ... yay.

• Like 4

Yogesh did clap for Nick when Nick’s large daily double panned out. I noted it was a prolonged-yet-unenthusiastic clap — like an effort to publicly demonstrate empathy beyond one’s capacity to actually feel owing to less normative brain chemistry or neural pathways.

Trivia games may be Yogesh’s only arena in which he believes he can literally win. 
About the lack of hugging — he may be physically uncomfortable with it. 
CBT could help.

• Like 7
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't remember Jake, though I laughed at his game face. I was pulling for him, though.

12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I felt very smug because I knew impromptu because of the movie with Hugh Grant as Chopin.

I wasn't smug - impromptu came to mind for the first part of the clue, but I thought it had to be wrong for the second part. Surprise!

11 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Well damn.

The complete non-hugging or congratulatory behavior at the end was very noticeable after the pleasantries  shown by every other ToC contestant the past few days. Yogesh looked like he wanted nothing to do with the other two and kinda waved them away.

I'm no fan of Yogesh, but he did shake hands at the end. At least with Jake.

2 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

A congratulatory smile, wave, or handshake would be fine.  Some people are not huggers.

I'm not a hugger, myself. Only close friends and family. So when I see it on Jeopardy I think "oh, they've become good friends" and that makes me happy to see. But Yogesh, whatever we may think of him, is unlikely to have made good friends, so I found him shaking  hands an improvement.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Yogesh is playing David and Emily in the second game of the semi-finals. Maybe David can perform an exorcism.

I almost passed liquid through my nose.  I remember Yogesh and that was talk of him but I do not remember specifics.  I’ll take y’all’s word for it that we don’t like him.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, opus said:

Last night, it was his entire "I'm smarter than everyone else" demeanor, which was also his attitude on his original shows.  Plus, of course his shitting all over Jeopardy after his first appearances.

15 hours ago, possibilities said:

No, he just has a lot of twitches and gestures and extraneous mouth movements which many of us found annoying.  Although I suppose those could primarily be due to a medical condition.  I wasn't rooting for him, but would've been thrilled had he won.

It was Brian Henegar (who is on tomorrow) who had what some thought was a resemblance to Hitler, but it was his hairstyle more than the mustache, I think.

15 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

No group hug tonight :(  I really was not happy to see Yogesh

I wondered if there was.  I changed the channel as soon as Yogesh won so I didn't see.  Doesn't surprise me at all.

12 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I just looked him up. This was the guy who had a strange little mustache & his hair was slicked down, parted on the side. Reminded folks of Hitler. I bet he has a new hairstyle & shaved that mustache. Can't wait to see him!

He definitely does, judging by his picture on the Jeopardy site.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I can.

• LOL 3
59 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

He definitely does, judging by his picture on the Jeopardy site.

He was aware that people were making comparisons, and poked a little fun at himself on Twitter. So if he had decided to keep the look after all that, it would have been… an interesting choice.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't remember Jake, though I laughed at his game face. I was pulling for him, though.

I wasn't smug - impromptu came to mind for the first part of the clue, but I thought it had to be wrong for the second part. Surprise!

I'm no fan of Yogesh, but he did shake hands at the end. At least with Jake.

I'm not a hugger, myself. Only close friends and family. So when I see it on Jeopardy I think "oh, they've become good friends" and that makes me happy to see. But Yogesh, whatever we may think of him, is unlikely to have made good friends, so I found him shaking  hands an improvement.

Can you imagine if Yogesh had lost? I think he's trying to improve his crappy image, but it ain't working. He's aware of the new style of the game's ending (group hugs) so he should've/could've been gracious enough to extend himself to also shake Nick's hand. It's interesting that Jake returned in better form (behavior? 🤗) but not this guy. Oh well. Next group!

• Like 4
(edited)

February 29:

40% / 57% / 48%

Wow. I should just stop keeping score. This has to be my worst J! round ever. Missed one in Live Laugh Love, two in Around the World, three in Onomatopoeia and Colors, four in Name Image Likeness, and all five in Detective Fiction. Did better in DJ (but still not good). Missed one in Compound Words, four in "Like"ness, and two in everything else.

No clue for FJ. I might be looking at donuts for the virtual dinner party in the contest thread.

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 2) I got Vitamin B12.

I was having trouble remembering Kevin until he mentioned his drag persona. Now I remember. :) Wasn't really rooting for anyone. I liked everyone tonight so I'm happy for Luigi.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

All that star made me think of was satellites, and that didn't have anything to do with travel, but then I was up in the air, so I said the Cocorde because I was out of time.

No TSs and no run cataegories for me, but on the bright side, also no completely wrong categories.

• Like 2

I liked all three contestants tonight!

10 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Yogesh is playing David and Emily in the second game of the semi-finals. Maybe David can perform an exorcism.

Will definitely be rooting for David on that night.

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

So sad that Juveria isn’t advancing.  She was my pick for taking home the title.

I was rooting for Juveria but I'm fine with Luigi winning. I want anyone but Yogesh to be champion.

• Like 11

Yay! I was pulling for Luigi (or Kevin). I'm so glad he won. Brave DD's wagering (if I were the angel on his shoulder, I'd have advised him to be much more conservative 😁). 

• Like 2

Back to the hugging and feeling of cameraderie. I am realizing it makes me happy to see it, and I start to like everyone. I never occurred to me to want that out of this show, but now that it's happened, I like it.

• Like 11
6 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Back to the hugging and feeling of cameraderie. I am realizing it makes me happy to see it, and I start to like everyone. I never occurred to me to want that out of this show, but now that it's happened, I like it.

It is nice; I'm sure it's because everyone knows each other by now. I expect there will be less of it when they get back to regular games.

• Like 6