Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

I'm away from home, so I can't keep track of TS (the only one I remember was B12), but I did not get FJ tonight.  I did figure out it was something about a star, but otherwise, I had nothing.

I may be looking at a perfect zero week this week for FJs!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2

Ken had a chuckle tonight that made me laugh; unfortunately, I can't remember the circumstances. My excuse is sleep deprivation... heading to correct that now. The real reason for forgetfulness is probably that I'm embracing aging and don't stress about stuff like I used to. You should try it. It's marvelous! (My inner hippie says, "peace!")

p.s. FJ was easy peasy for me, having been a passenger (a few times) while visiting Europe.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Argh, all I could think of was “the train that goes through the Chunnel.” 

I was really hoping Juveria would win! She was so dominant but then Luigi got super lucky with both those big DD bets so congrats to him.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

Ken had a chuckle tonight that made me laugh; unfortunately, I can't remember the circumstances.

Maybe the part when he learned his reading of “What is a hoe?” had made it into one of Kevin’s drag performances?

I really liked Kevin from before and I was sad he didn’t make it through. I was even sadder that Juveria didn’t make it. She was a highlight of the Neverending Tournament with her unique combination of demure and deadly.

Tonight’s flashback research on Luigi yielded very little. He seemed to be well liked in the regular games, but there wasn’t much discussion about him aside from a few remarks about his questionable wagering. He won points with me tonight, though, with his warm comments about his fellow contestants. He is basically the anti-Yogesh.

5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

No clue for FJ. I might be looking at donuts for the virtual dinner party in the contest thread.

Have you noticed I’ve posted nothing about my performance this week? There’s a reason for that. 😉 Not to worry, I had the foresight to invest in donut futures last week. We’re all set.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 5

I watched with friends tonight so didn't keep track, but FJ was an instaget (I'm sure it helps that I've been on it) and overall I did pretty well for a ToC game. 

The "onomatopoeia romance" clues were nausea inducing.  I liked the NIL category because it was all about college sports, so I knew everything but the Netflix show.

But first Hannah and now Juveria out; she was kicking such ass, but then Luigi hit both DDs in DJ and she fucked up FJ (checking the archive, she had nearly double his Coryat score).  I am not liking the results of these games so far.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Maybe the part when he learned his reading of “What is a hoe?” had made it into one of Kevin’s drag performances?

That was funny, too... however, the giggle I had was from Ken reading a clue and chuckling at the very end (as if he just couldn't contain his laughter any longer) and I can't remember the circumstances (the clue). For me, it was the first time Ken sort of lost it during clue-reading. He's been fairly impeccable to date.

And yes, so sad that Juveria didn't make it. Congrats to Luigi for the win and the impressive thank you speech during his interview.

And... yay to the ending hugs!

• Like 9
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

That was funny, too... however, the giggle I had was from Ken reading a clue and chuckling at the very end (as if he just couldn't contain his laughter any longer) and I can't remember the circumstances (the clue)

Could it have been the clue who's question was "What is Some Like It Hot?"?  I certainly got a kick out of it when Kevin answered it.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 2/29/2024 at 5:15 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Yay! I was pulling for Luigi (or Kevin). I'm so glad he won. Brave DD's wagering (if I were the angel on his shoulder, I'd have advised him to be much more conservative 😁). 

I decided I loved Luigi when he determinedly said "sci abbr" for the science abbreviations category. I know they're now told to say the entire title - but I think the others would have said "science abbreviation" - made us laugh every time he chose it.

On 2/29/2024 at 7:03 PM, Bliss said:

The real reason for forgetfulness is probably that I'm embracing aging and don't stress about stuff like I used to. You should try it. It's marvelous! (My inner hippie says, "peace!")

Resistance is futile - (where have I heard that before? 😉), and it's much more relaxing to embrace it, I find. Some of it sucks, but some of every age I've been has sucked, that's life. Also, being old is a superpower - people continually underestimate you and invisibility has its bonuses.

Edited by Clanstarling
on re-reading, leaving out a word kind of made it a bit racy
  • Like 9
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
On 2/29/2024 at 9:19 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

Yogesh is playing David and Emily in the second game of the semi-finals. Maybe David can perform an exorcism.

OMG.  The perpetually smiling Emily vs the perpetually non-smiling Yogesh?  Can't wait. Go David. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

made us laugh every time he chose it.

Same with the group I watched with, and each subsequent time we laughed just as hard as we had the first.  Something about the way he pronounced "abbrev" was truly hilarious.  I was hoping he'd get to select every clue in that category so I could hear it five times.

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
3 hours ago, alias1 said:

OMG.  The perpetually smiling Emily vs the perpetually non-smiling Yogesh?  Can't wait. Go David. 

I agree, but I think both Emily and Yogesh are faster on the buzzer.  I do wonder if Emily smiles that that all of the time.  After a while, it's a bit eerie.

• Like 5
(edited)

I, the geography idiot, somehow answered FJ!  correctly.  It’s a Festivus miracle.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 6

March 1:

63% / 63% / 62%

Overall, a better game than last night. Still not great but at least it was consistent. In J! I ran Pop Culture Princesses, missed one in Getting Seal-y, three in Food, Fast, and two in the rest. In DJ I missed one in Long Story and Cover Me, three in "N"owledge, and two in the rest.

Not a clue for FJ. Not only was I not in the right part of the world (as Alex might say but Ken certainly wouldn't), I wasn't in any part of the world.

TSes: (J had 5 + the DD; DJ had 6) I got Genovia, Nicaragua (DD), abiogenesis, Ulysses (DD), and guyliner.

Darn, I was rooting for Josh, or Stephen.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I, the geography idiot, somehow answered FJ!  correctly.  It’s a Festivus miracle.

Would they have taken Dutch Guiana? Instead of Suriname? 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

i said Iceland.  It made no sense but what do you want from me. it was a looong week at work.

I got the missed clues of Nicaragua, Scone, and shero.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

😭 Didn't like him before, don't like him now... fist-pumping son of a....

The only positive is at least he got rid of his sieg heil look. Yuck. Between Yogesh & this character, I don't know who's the worst.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

And I had a perfect week for FJ!  Did not get a single one.

I wasn't able to keep up with all the TS, but I do remember that I got Nicaragua and scone.

• Like 6
  • Wink 1

No one I was pulling for won this week. 😕 

I did like Luigi the best of Thursday's champions, so while I'm very happy for him, I think that Juveria may have been the only champ who can beat Yogesh. Keeping him from winning the whole tournament is definitely a thing in my mind!

I'm really 😔 that Cris and Hannah were knocked out in the first round. I'm hoping mightily that Ray and Ben win their matches next week. 🤞

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Interesting that there was a clue about NAFTA today. Brian Mulroney, former Canadian PM who was the architect of the treaty died yesterday. 
I got FJ. Have to say playing Globle every day has helped me immensely with geography clues.

None of my favourite contestants have advanced. Hope next week is better.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

I vaguely recognized Stephen and Brian, but not enough to root for or against either one, so this was another game where I didn't care who won (it's kind of a bummer to have so many in a ToC).

The scones TS surprised me, but that was it.

I did better in Pop Culture Princesses than I expected to, which is to say I got one (Audrey Hepburn).  If not for that category, I'd have only missed two in the whole first round (MIME and Pusan).

I didn't run anything in DJ.  I got all but one in covers (damn Beatles songs always ruin categories for me), but that was as good as it got -- I missed three each in chemistry and stories and two each in the rest.

I rebounded to get FJ.

2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Would they have taken Dutch Guiana? Instead of Suriname?

Presumably yes, and they certainly should, since that's what "this country" was called at the time of the event at the subject of the clue -- the impending change is what prompted the mass exodus. 

• Like 6
4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not only was I not in the right part of the world (as Alex might say but Ken certainly wouldn't),

LOL to your reference but a little side-eye to Ken for the actual statement. I don’t think he was trying to throw shade at Alex, but it kind of came off that way…?

I remembered Brian for the moustache but forgot about the fist pumping. He was also trying a little too hard to be class clown. I didn’t remember the other two guys, but I would have happy to see either of them win. 

No FJ for me again. Shocker.

• Like 8

I can't find the exact wording of the clue, but would "cookie" have been an acceptable answer instead of "scone"? It's also of Dutch origin, from "koekje" ("little cake').

• Like 4
(edited)

Which contestant quoted which former contestant that the most important thing in playing Jeopardy is to Not Guess?

.....•°¯`•• ... ••´¯°•.....

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I can't find the exact wording of the clue, but would "cookie" have been an acceptable answer instead of "scone"? It's also of Dutch origin, from "koekje" ("little cake').

Not my field of knowledge, but here's the clue for you to parse:

• Dutch gives us the name of these baked treats, an afternoon tea staple

13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Not only was I not in the right part of the world (as Alex might say but Ken certainly wouldn't),

8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

LOL to your reference but a little side-eye to Ken for the actual statement. I don’t think he was trying to throw shade at Alex, but it kind of came off that way…?

Maybe a little?
I interpreted Ken's not-in-the-right-part-of-the-world remark to be a bit of self-deprecation because he, like Alex, could not resist saying it either.
But if my interpretation is correct, it could imply that Ken knows better than to say such a thing to a contestant, and Alex thought it was okay. 
However, I watch a lot of game show reruns from the 70s when Gene Rayburn made at least several cringe-worthy remarks to contestants every half hour.
@30 Helens, we could probably do an hour-long podcast titled “Not in the Right Part of the World: Did the Jeopardy! Host Just Say That?” 🤣

I will miss Juveria. She lives 3 hours away, so I don't think we're going to cross paths in a grocery store aisle.

My TSs for the week, during which I had company and chaos:

• Monday:
    magnesium & aluminum

• Tuesday:
    a pleat

• Thursday:
    B-12

• Friday:
    Genovia; guyliner
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 8
15 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Not my field of knowledge, but here's the clue for you to parse:

• Dutch gives us the name of these baked treats, an afternoon tea staple

Thanks for the exact phrasing. I guess one could argue that cookies aren't a staple of afternoon tea the way scones are, but the rest of the clue definitely fits.

I thought of joke on Frasier: Frasier tells the waitress at his favorite coffee shop that when she serves a biscotto to his blue collar dad Martin, she should call it a "cookie." (Of course, Martin knew the correct name, having worked with Italians.)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I said cookie too.  Didn't even think of scone and don't think it sounds Dutch.

For FJ I knew what country they were looking for and could picture it on the map in my mind, knew it had an e on the end but sometimes not, and still it took until the last second to pull it out of my brain.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I also said cookie, altho' I thought I'd read (years ago) that cookie came from a German word for it. Just looked it up and its origin is Dutch (from the folks who originally settled NYC) for little cakes. Now I want a cookie!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3
11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I remembered Brian for the moustache but forgot about the fist pumping. He was also trying a little too hard to be class clown. I didn’t remember the other two guys, but I would have happy to see either of them win. 

No FJ for me again. Shocker.

The fist-pumping was what turned me off in the first place. The Hitler haircut/mustache was just something I couldn't help but notice.

• Like 8

Someone on the production crew needs to tell Brian to tone down the celebratory movements when he wins.  I noticed that the man to his left was just staring at him as Brian was fist pumping and yelling.  I'm not a fan of that type of winner in such a setting.

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1

Maybe he and Yogesh will compete against each other and both get crushed by someone gracious, who will then have no one to hug or shake hands with other than Ken.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

I cut Brian a lot of slack, because so many people, up to and including SNL, were so incredibly mean to him when he was on before, for no good reason (no, a vague resemblance to Hitler is NOT a good reason to publicly insult a perfect stranger who has done you no harm). As far as I'm concerned, he gets to enjoy himself this time around.

• Like 8
  • Applause 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

As far as I'm concerned, he gets to enjoy himself this time around.

Yeah, I want contestants to be themselves in terms of personality, so they can play their best game; if they're policing themselves in anticipation of negative internet feedback, that's concentration taken away from recall and strategy.  If someone yelled "Beat ya, suckers!" when they win, I'd take all kinds of issue.  But I don't have a problem with someone visibly celebrating when they win, land a huge DD, etc.

I only vaguely recognized Brian, so I looked up my posts during his original run to see if he'd done anything to annoy or elate me I'd subsequently forgotten, and all I'd said about him was he made me laugh with his "You learn something new every day" response upon the correct response to a TS being revealed (that a kangaroo mama's pouch is called a marsupium [probably because, as I noted then, I didn't know that, either -- that animals with pouches for their babies were called marsupials, yes, but not that the pouch itself is called a marsupium]).  So I either didn't take notice of any of his mannerisms, or they didn't bug me.  (Last night, I noticed his celebration upon winning, of course, but didn't think anything of it.)

I had forgotten all about the "looks like Hitler" conversation that took place back then until it was mentioned here.  So I looked up my then-reaction to that, too -- I said it never crossed my mind, but once it was talked about, I could see it from a distance due to the hair and mustache combo, but in shots that properly showed his face, I still didn't see it at all.  (Same thing later when someone said he looks like Mr. Belvedere -- once you put that in my mind, I can see it from a distance, but not up close.)  In doing that, I came across an article about that whole mess, which included the cool fact he said in a tweet that when he got his J! winnings, he was going to make a donation to the Anti-Defamation League, to make something good come out of all the Hitler remarks.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I cut Brian a lot of slack, because so many people, up to and including SNL, were so incredibly mean to him when he was on before, for no good reason (no, a vague resemblance to Hitler is NOT a good reason to publicly insult a perfect stranger who has done you no harm). As far as I'm concerned, he gets to enjoy himself this time around.

I’d also forgotten about how much he endured last time so, yeah, I’m with you. The only thing that bugged me this time were his efforts to be funny, which seemed forced to me rather than natural reactions. But maybe he’s just that much of a dork, in which case good for him.

26 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I came across an article about that whole mess, which included the cool fact he said in a tweet when he got his J! winnings, he was going to make a donation to the Anti-Defamation League, to make something good come out of all the Hitler remarks.

Did I just go from being mildly annoyed by Brian to becoming a Brian fan? Maybe!

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

I was rooting for both Hannah and Juveria and was sad to see them both go. 
As for Brian, I did feel a bit bad for him after his initial run, but I don’t think that excuses his behaviour this round. I don’t love criticizing people for things outside their control - although his hairstyle and how he styles his facial hair are within his control. But he has full control over his actions and I am allowed to find them off putting, regardless of how he was treated during his first run. 

Coming into the TOC, I would have been on the positive side of neutral towards Brian, but I really don’t like the excessive celebrating and it did lessen my opinion of him. Of course he has every right to celebrate and enjoy himself, but I don’t need to like it. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 3
27 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I said stroopwaffle instead of scone. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I've gotta say that one never even crossed my mind.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
9 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

The fist-pumping was what turned me off in the first place. The Hitler haircut/mustache was just something I couldn't help but notice.

Hey...that was OTT fist-pumping.  He was really outta control (as they say).

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

His haircut/mustache had nothing to do with my dislike of him during his first run. He was every bit as off-putting at that time and has not changed.

• Like 10
(edited)

I never even noticed the fist pumping. So, different strokes, etc.

I enjoy seeing people enjoy themselves - and I'm really liking the new hugging (as long as it looks legit, and not forced, which it does at this point). I enjoy most "out there" kind of people - unless the energy is negative.

I had trouble, visually, distinguishing between Brian and Stephen due to their similar beard styles. But I overcame that as the game went on.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
22 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I never even noticed the fist pumping. So, different strokes, etc.

I enjoy seeing people enjoy themselves - and I'm really liking the new hugging (as long as it looks legit, and not forced, which it does at this point). I enjoy most "out there" kind of people - unless the energy is negative.

I had trouble, visually, distinguishing between Brian and Stephen due to their similar beard styles. But I overcame that as the game went on.

You didn't notice his fist-pumping at the end of the game?  How did you manage that?

I don't mind some celebration but that went into OTT asshole territory, imo.  Maybe if I'd won my game, I might've been like that but I'd like to think I wouldn't have.  As it happened, I was just trying not to burst into tears when I lost.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:27 PM, Kimmmmmm said:

His haircut/mustache had nothing to do with my dislike of him during his first run. He was every bit as off-putting at that time and has not changed.

I didn't even notice the hair/mustache issue until posters here pointed it out.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

I noticed one of the champ's pins (the pink one) is in support of Breast Cancer research and/or for a family member. 
What is the other one?
(click image to enlarge)

BrianHenegarToC.png

Isn't fist pumping just something guys who watch or participate in a lot sports together do?
Or does it have some other nefarious meaning? 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
3 minutes ago, possibilities said:

What color would you say the 2nd ribbon is?

Lilly (@OneEclecticMom) that does the fashion tweets/blog, says it's gray and is for brain cancer?

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 3
33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I noticed one of the champ's pins (the pink one) is in support of Breast Cancer research and/or for a family member. 
What is the other one?
(click image to enlarge)

BrianHenegarToC.png

Isn't fist pumping just something guys who watch or participate in a lot sports together do?
Or does it have some other nefarious meaning? 

Fist pumping doesn't have nefarious meaning.  It's just a type of celebration.  It can, however, be overdone in a particular situation, which is the case here, imo.

• Like 2

March 4:

73% / 60% / 67%

Actually had a decent first round. Ran Nonfiction (will have to check out that Mark Kurlansky book; I've read both Cod and Salt), missed one in I Heard a Rumor, "V"acation Spots, and Happy Hour, two in Hobbies & Pastimes, and three in Cocktails.

Not so great in DJ; missed one in French History and Lecturing You on Science, two in Ballet/Opera and 5-Syllable Words, and three in Numeric Movie Titles and Languages.

And I got FJ! A total guess! Wasn't even sure if he was Roman and have no idea where it came from.

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 7) I got Ladies' Room, Roz Chast, 12 (never heard of the movie but it was a logical guess given it was about a jury), pulchritudinous, and carbohydrate.

Darn, I was rooting for Ray (would have loved to see him win the whole thing), but good for Ike (he was my second choice). Glad we got to see Ray's twin, at least.

(So if Ike wins the whole thing, does the money go to charity or does he get to keep it?)

• Like 5

I said Ovid because he's literally the only ancient Roman poet I can name.

I got the missed clues of 12, prohibitionist and (believe it or not) pulchritudinous.  Probably didn't spell it right, but spelling doesn't count.

Not too bad for tournament play tonight.  Did not want the celeb to win. Hopefully he won't win the whole thing.

• Like 5