Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 11/18/2022 at 10:05 AM, dgpolo said:

I did not know it but looking at Wikipedia the characters in the story are French so maybe that was why I thought the author was French.

A bit late in responding to this, but Joseph Conrad was actually Polish (full name, Jozef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski).  He was fluent in French, and sailed with the French merchant marine as a young man.  He wrote all of his novels in English, which was actually his third language.

• Like 1
  • Useful 8
15 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Yeah, this tourney was fun and joyful and now we go back to normal....okay, then...

For me the upside of going back to regular play is that I'll do better. 😁

15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Couldn't remember if it was this American cousin or our American cousin. 

I went with "Country Cousin"  - oh well.

I was happy for Amy to win - even though I was pulling for Sam. Heck by the end of the tournament, I would have been happy for any of them to win - they were all enjoyable and played great games.

• Love 5

I’m not crazy about Andrew’s playing style (that long pause before he answers makes me very tense), but I enjoyed this final immensely. Their little skits as they were introduced each game were adorable. 

Yay for Amy! She has such good, positive energy and she has been such a pleasure to watch. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I’m not crazy about Andrew’s playing style (that long pause before he answers makes me very tense), but I enjoyed this final immensely. Their little skits as they were introduced each game were adorable. 

I always wonder if the players themselves come up with those or if the producers give them ideas.

• Like 2

Loved the big, sweet smile that broke out on Amy's face when her FJ wager was revealed!

No insult to tonight's contestants, but it will be a bit of a letdown to get back to regular games. I was hoping Sam would win yesterday just to force a game 7!

• Love 9
3 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

Since we don’t see it all the time I suspect they conspired amongst themselves.

I think so, based on Amy's twitter comments about the game.

I really enjoyed reading her entire thread of her thoughts about the game. She did that during her initial run also, and I always liked reading her perspective.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 8

Well, the upside of returning to normal games is I can play again! Or as I commented during the game, “The tournament was fun, but Amy, Sam and Andrew were making me feel stupid.” I had a great first round, a decent 2nd, and finally, a correct FJ. 

I miss the champs, but it’s nice to be back.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Me too! This makes me feel much better that I wasn't the only one.

Um, I wasn’t even close. My brain kept yelling “Blithe Spirit no that’s too modern it was whatever the hell Lincoln went to see Blithe Spirit NOT BLITHE SPIRIT YOU FOOL IT WAS EIGHTEEN SIXTY FOUR AND CLEARLY LINCOLN EVEN THOUGH IT’S TOO SOON.”

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Me too! This makes me feel much better that I wasn't the only one.

Always glad to help! 😁

15 hours ago, secnarf said:

I think so, based on Amy's twitter comments about the game.

I really enjoyed reading her entire thread of her thoughts about the game. She did that during her initial run also, and I always liked reading her perspective.

I just started following her on Twitter - as long as that lasts.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

This thread is fun. 

Love that story. Also, anyone who hasn’t clicked on that link needs to, if only to see Sam in his awesome plaid shorts. Distinguished professor >> goofy dad in one outfit change! 😆😍

• Fire 2
  • Love 6

I know some people asked where Matt Amodio was (and I'm entertained that autocorrect tried to change his last name to "Emotional"!) but I first missed Ryan Long. Only 16 players in that shot. Still a great story and great photo!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I know some people asked where Matt Amodio was (and I'm entertained that autocorrect tried to change his last name to "Emotional"!) but I first missed Ryan Long. Only 16 players in that shot. Still a great story and great photo!

I noticed Ryan Long's absence in that photo as well. I'm still not over his one-and-done appearance in the tourney. Such a bummer. He's local to my area and so I've seen some interviews on the news, and he seems like a great guy. He will be appearing in the Philly Thanksgiving Day Parade, btw.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, rubaco said:

I noticed Ryan Long's absence in that photo as well.

He was in a different photo of the group on Twitter. Can't remember who posted it or I'd look it up.

I don't know how to do the image capture of the thread but this should be a link to the pic with Ryan in it:

FhZtzRGX0AAJirL?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by dgpolo
to add
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I know some people asked where Matt Amodio was

Perhaps Matt didn't stick around because these were taped in early fall, which is not the best time to be off campus if you are a Postdoctoral Researcher managing and mentoring student assistants. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

What a life-long honor to be included in that group photo and to be one of those "insiders." Think what a difference it must have/might have/will have on each of those lives. Humbles me to think of it.

• Like 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Predictably,  the Jeopardy posting on FB about Amy's win got some responses from people who apparently think it is a clever hot take to refer to Amy as "he" or "bro". Why do they feel the need to say anything at all?

They grew up in homes where abuse was the daily norm?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Hate is a drug. Those people are obnoxious and need to shut up and detox.

Are there Haters Anonymous meetings? There should be. Although it could be awkward when, for example, a boss and an employee both showed up.

Oh. Wait. Is this what "Anger Management" is supposed to be for?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Why do they feel the need to say anything at all?

Because they know they will never be as smart or accomplished as Amy and that threatens them? So they try to make up for it the only way they can, with elevated levels of stupidity and jackassery.

• Applause 5
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm hoping someone can figure out what I'm talking about here. In one of the final ToC games, there was a musical clue in which a few bars of music were played, and it was a section of a famous bigger piece. It was quite lovely, and I've been hearing it in my head ever since. It may have been a triple stumper.

If anyone remembers the piece of music's title, or can send me to a site where the game and answers (questions?) are embedded, I'd be most appreciative.

4 minutes ago, Gravity Check said:
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I don't remember the piece of music, but you could try j-archive.com for all the clues.

Thank you! Turns out it was regular Jeopardy, and the answer was The Flower Duet from the opera Lakme. It was driving me mad, and I appreciate your steering me to the J-Archive.

Isn't that the music that's used in the Lexus commercials? I know when they played it I had a car with a big bow pop into my mind.

• Wink 1

I can't remember the last time I had a game this bad.

For FJ, I said Voltaire, no that's way too early. Moliere.  No, he's a playwright.  Maybe the initials are a clue.  Nostradamus.  

I got the missed clues of acclmation, witty city ditty, Mrs. Roper, The Partridge Family, French trench stench and battered wife syndrome.

The best I can say is that I did get at least one right in every category.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, shoot.  Should I have replied in this thread instead of the main one? 

It’s the regular syndicated show so my vote is, reply in the main season thread. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I can't remember the last time I had a game this bad.

For FJ, I said Voltaire, no that's way too early. Moliere.  No, he's a playwright.  Maybe the initials are a clue.  Nostradamus.  

I got the missed clues of acclmation, witty city ditty, Mrs. Roper, The Partridge Family, French trench stench and battered wife syndrome.

The best I can say is that I did get at least one right in every category.

I thought the questions were harder than in a regular game. Emily was great I'm glad she didn't bet anything on Final Jeopardy.

• Like 1