Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got the impression that Ken was expecting the goof (and bleep) to be cut from the aired version, since he re-explained the significance of the numbers in exactly the same words after the category was actually finished. Apparently it was all funny enough to be left in!

• Applause 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think the "no wagering" was for us. Like Dave Letterman used to say before "Stupid Pet Tricks" - "This is only an exhibition; no wagering."

I kept thinking of Whose Line is it…”and the points don’t count”.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, opus said:

I forget. What was the fifth number?

The fifth clue was the Buzz Lightyear one, with the correct response being "To infinity and beyond."

I was surprised, amused, and appalled by the clue about Alex Trebek's typical breakfast of diet soda and a candy bar. It made my stomach hurt just thinking about it!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love 4

As Johnny introduced the giants, I was ready with a flappy-handed wave for Mattea.  Then, upon their first buzz-in, they started with the flappy hands.  I pointed out to Partner South that it didn’t even bother me.  Then, with the comments.  Still fine. Ten minutes later, I was barking at the screen.  They are lightning fast, but let’s face it, the depth and breadth of knowledge in that young noggin is impressive.  I don’t mention the “young” issue as any sort of disrespect towards Mattea.  Their scope would be wildly impressive on anyone of any age.  The fact that they are, what, 23, 24?  Incredible.  Still, I bark at the screen.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I was surprised, amused, and appalled by the clue about Alex Trebek's typical breakfast of diet soda and a candy bar. It made my stomach hurt just thinking about it!

If you're having a Snickers for breakfast, what the hell is a DIET soda supposed to do?

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

If you're having a Snickers for breakfast, what the hell is a DIET soda supposed to do?

And if I remember correctly, he moved from a Diet Coke and Snickers to a Diet Pepsi and… Kit Kat? Because a doctor advised it? How is this an improvement? What’s the difference? I am so confused.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I was really expecting “hoe” to come up in the “wrong but excellent“ category. 

I think it was 400. They ran out of time, so now we will never know :(. 

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this a lot. They clearly were having a lot of fun. 

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

And if I remember correctly, he moved from a Diet Coke and Snickers to a Diet Pepsi and… Kit Kat? Because a doctor advised it? How is this an improvement? What’s the difference? I am so confused.

AT went from Coke and Snickers to Diet Coke and KitKat.  It makes perfect sense to me!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

That was way more fun (and funnier) than the Celebrity Games, which are supposedly the loose ones.

Matt seemed sick (he sounded congested and his was scratchy. I wonder when this taped.

I feel like the difference is that the celebs are usually trying (often too hard) to be funny. This really was more relaxed and the funny stuff felt much more natural.

Per J!Archive: Game tape date: 2022-09-20

1 hour ago, blueray said:

I think it was 400. They ran out of time, so now we will never know :(. 

Anyhow, I really enjoyed this a lot. They clearly were having a lot of fun. 

Someone said it in spoiler tags, but it was actually the extra clue that goes into the J!6 game on the J! website.

I enjoyed it a lot, too. Mattea didn't even bug me that much. Maybe because it didn't matter who won; though I was a little disappointed that they ran out of time. I feel like for a game like this they should have just let them finish the board, even if they had to edit a bit of the in-between stuff out to fit it in the broadcast.

Edited by ams1001
edit #5 because I clearly need typing lessons
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Love loved Ken’s very human, very cursing presentation error. I wonder if that would have been shown in a “regular” match or if it would have been edited out? Because I say leave that *bleep* in.

In a match that actually counted, I'm sure that not only would the mistake have been edited out, but they would have substituted a new clue for the one that he accidentally gave away.  That would be a definite "Stop tape" moment.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2

In regards to Matt, he was the returning champion of the previous season after playing the season before. It probably has been at least a year since he used the Jeopardy buzzer. He might have been rusty (and a bit nervous playing against the other two big names). 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

In a match that actually counted, I'm sure that not only would the mistake have been edited out, but they would have substituted a new clue for the one that he accidentally gave away.  That would be a definite "Stop tape" moment.

Yeah, that's exactly why every category has an extra clue. I played the J!6 game last night but I don't remember what it was for that category.

• Useful 1

Caught the game by accident as it was on at 3.00pm here rather than the usual 7.00pm but not in any listings as that was still showing Rachel Ray or whatever her name is. Funny thing is during the ads half way through they were advertising this game being on at 7.00 pm as usual but not listed as such.

I get that they have to move things around for the elections BUT the least they can do is get the listings right for people who record these sort of things, it's not like someone woke up on Monday & thought "let's have an election tomorrow".

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
17 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

The exhibition game is like any other, but there are no take home winnings. It’s a chance for everyone to get a game and buzzer prep under their belts…a warmup, if you will….

If they'd had to play quarterfinal games, they wouldn't have needed a warmup game.  Which is exactly what should've happened.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah, that's exactly why every category has an extra clue. I played the J!6 game last night but I don't remember what it was for that category.

I was able to get it (surprisingly!!) from archive.org at: https://web.archive.org/web/20221109002712/https://www.jeopardy.com/games-more/j6

jeopardy-exhibition-match.thumb.png.1fadf4a9ed5d88cdbac28f93d254d4ce.png

——with "32" being the number of games James Holzhauer won.

So I can see why they didn't edit it for the loosey goosey Exhibition Match, because then Amy's number of consecutive wins would have been edited out.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Useful 2
13 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I was able to get it (surprisingly!!) from archive.org at: https://web.archive.org/web/20221109002712/https://www.jeopardy.com/games-more/j6

jeopardy-exhibition-match.thumb.png.1fadf4a9ed5d88cdbac28f93d254d4ce.png

——with "32" being the number of games James Holzhauer won.

So I can see why they didn't edit it for the loosey goosey Exhibition Match, because then Amy's number of consecutive wins would have been edited out.

That's right! I knew James's number was in there somewhere.

• Love 1

Unless there is a vast gulf between those of us posting here and the viewers the show producers poll, I imagine the producers are high-fiving each other and wondering how they can replicate the magic of this Exhibition game. 

A big part of the "magic" of this Exhibition game was that the contestants/champs were playing with "magic beans"™ ᴹᵃᵗᵗᵉᵃ (unintended double entendre, I swear!).
We got to see several instances of one player guessing wrong followed by the others seemingly making similar wrong guesses at least in part to even the score. At least that's what I thought was the motivation, which, if so, is kind of sweet💗, especially on a contentious news night.

Matt and Amy seemed less competitive than Mattea. I wonder if that's in part because even though being a Jeopardy! super champ is a big deal for anyone, it's got to be a bigger deal for someone as young as Mattea, who has so few adult life experiences to date, and both a bigger deal psychologically for Mattea, and with regards to future résumé building.
Also, Matt seemed the least engaged, and his Jeopardy! champion status is not really a part of his current life's work beyond any accumulated money.

How much does the winner of the Tournament of Champions stand to win?

On the other end of the life spectrum, Sam Buttrey, at 75, probably values this opportunity more than Matt and Amy (and Mattea) because, as we (e.g., moi) age, these kinds of opportunities tend to become fewer and fewer.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

How much does the winner of the Tournament of Champions stand to win?

From J-Archive:

2022 Tournament of Champions (October 31 - November ?) (hosted by Ken Jennings)

• Champion: $250,000
  • 1st runner-up: $100,000 (or the player's 2-day finals total, whichever is larger)
  • 2nd runner-up: $50,000 (or the player's 2-day finals total, whichever is larger)
  • Semifinalist: $10,000
  • Quarterfinalist: $5,000

The grand prize is correct (according to other sources) but I'm not sure about the runner-up prizes since it isn't a two-day final like usual. Couldn't find anything on that elsewhere (I guess the amounts are probably correct but not sure how they are determined given that they will play at least three games).

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Cherpumple said:

I enjoyed the collective groan when Mattea said she enjoyed one of those songs when she was four, as well as Amy's response later, lol.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

"One of my favorite songs when I was, like, four."
"One of my favorite songs when I was 27."

The difference between Amy who is genuinely funny and Mattea who desperately tries to be funny and quirky but comes off as annoying.  And may I say as a Canadian, not everything we say or do is necessarily related to our nationality.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

I like Mattea and don't find any of her mannerisms annoying.  I'm surprised she's so polarizing.  She certainly knows a lot. 

I like Amy too. 

Matt did seem to be sandbagging, or maybe he was just having fun.  The two opponents he faces next both had blow out games.  That match will be interesting.  

• Love 15
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Maybe because a Kit Kat is more like a cookie, with the biscuit and all? Snickers has caramel and nuts and whatnot. I dunno. I’m surprised any celebrity would eat such a blatantly unhealthy breakfast, and admit it.

18 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I like Mattea and don't find any of her mannerisms annoying.  I'm surprised she's so polarizing.  She certainly knows a lot.

I’m guessing for some it’s because she’s not American? She’s a threat to the myth of American superiority. Especially if she wins it all.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
18 minutes ago, Shermie said:

I’m guessing for some it’s because she’s not American? She’s a threat to the myth of American superiority. Especially if she wins it all.

Nope.  I'm Canadian and she drives me nuts.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

According to the blog referred to above, they taped all six of the TOC games AND the exhibition game in one day with the exhibition the last taped. No wonder Ken was swearing after that long a day!

Ken was swearing? During the broadcast? I never heard him swearing last night. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I'm gonna fanwank that his doctor said something like, "Dude!  You have to cut out the Diet Coke and Snickers every morning!  That stuff'll kill ya!" so Alex switched to Diet Dr. Pepper and Kit Kat, and called it a day.

• LOL 10
10 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought it was Matt, but I guess it was Ken. It got bleeped out on my station anyway. So I missed what happened lol. 

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The grand prize is correct (according to other sources) but I'm not sure about the runner-up prizes since it isn't a two-day final like usual. Couldn't find anything on that elsewhere (I guess the amounts are probably correct but not sure how they are determined given that they will play at least three games).

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/2022/tournament-champions

Bottom right corner of above link: 2nd & 3rd place determination based on: (1) Final games won. If tied: (2) Number of 2nd place finishes in finals. If tied: (3) cumulative total in finals.

@LexieLily: apparently you are not aware of the "don't post about today's game until after 7pm (Eastern)" rule.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm gonna fanwank that his doctor said something like, "Dude!  You have to cut out the Diet Coke and Snickers every morning!  That stuff'll kill ya!" so Alex switched to Diet Dr. Pepper and Kit Kat, and called it a day.

Yes, I figure it's to be a funny story about Alex being a contrarian.  The doctor says "A Diet Coke and a Snickers bar?!  No, you need to change your breakfast", Alex agrees, and simply changes it to a different soda and different candy. 

And, to get the response right (in a game that didn't even count), all you actually had to do was identify the "gimme a break" commercials as being for Kit Kat.

20 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

When he realized he'd screwed up in the number category and revealed the meaning when they still had one clue left on the board, he said "Oh, shit."  They bleeped the "shit", of course, but left the screw-up in (and then he repeated the explanation when they finished the category).

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, blueray said:
27 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I thought it was Matt, but I guess it was Ken. It got bleeped out on my station anyway. So I missed what happened lol. 

You can see it here (official Jeopardy video):

Edited by dcalley
added quote in a quote and somehow got it right!
  • Thanks 2
  • LOL 6

Reminder: Please avoid posting information about any new episode of the day before 7PM ET / 6PM CT / 5PM MT / 4PM PT. If necessary, you can spoiler tag it. This allows for posters to watch it in their own local TV markets. Thank you. Posts have been removed.

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Catching up from last night -- I went to a movie instead of watching live.  The game was only interrupted once for other reasons.  Unfortunately, it was during the first part of the first round, just before the first commercial break.  I don't know why the local station couldn't have waited!  So I didn't get to see a few clues.  But I am actually glad they didn't interrupt the interviews.

What a fun game it was!  I'm sorry they didn't get the board cleared in the second round, though -- I was also expecting "hoe" somewhere.  Ken's boo-boo was hilarious.  I rewound and watched that again.  And see, celebrities?  It's possible to have fun and have a good game without being idiots!

I only got half of FJ, but that half was an instaget.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 11/8/2022 at 3:15 PM, badgerwoman said:

jeopardy is on early here, so no preemption.  I hope you all get to see the exhibition game, its a hoot.  

It didn't air here, and the TiVo didn't record it. But found it on YouTube this morning, so glad I did. 

23 hours ago, rubaco said:

I know, right? What is... something you never expected to see Ken do.

Such a fun episode.

That was hysterical.

22 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Well, I saw a rather strange version of this show. Two different times a set of questions was repeated (e g , the nickel capital--Sudbury), and I can't remember the other ones but I do know the show was bizarre & I was drinking iced tea. 

What kind of iced tea? 😉

22 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I was really expecting “hoe” to come up in the “wrong but excellent“ category. 

I said it out loud. I was a little disappointed, they weren't as funny as some that I remember seeing.

15 hours ago, Emma9 said:

I got the impression that Ken was expecting the goof (and bleep) to be cut from the aired version, since he re-explained the significance of the numbers in exactly the same words after the category was actually finished. Apparently it was all funny enough to be left in!

The stuff he read was scripted, he just read it before he should have and gave away the answers in the category. Loved that moment. So he had to read it a second time.

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

On YouTube they didn't bleep him, but dropped the soundtrack for a second.

I enjoyed this so much. I like all three very much, so it was fun to see them head to head and being comfortable with each other. I don't find any of them annoying. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 12

I'll watch this exhibition game on Youtube, as today's game was pre-empted by a presidential press conference.  (J! is on early here.) I did check Jeopardy archive, and it looks like today's game was a runaway.

63% / 53% / 59%

J!: I ran Supreme Court Cases and missed one in Stanford Athletics. Not the ones I expected to be my best categories - it helped that the court cases were mostly relatively recent, and there were two easily recognizable pictures in the sports category (Berkley and College World Series were total guesses, but I couldn't think of Kerri Walsh's name)… Missed three in Shakespeare and Chess and two in the others.

DJ: Missed one each in Geology and Onomatopoeia (more predictable good categories for me), and three in everything else.

FJ was an instaget in that I thought of it immediately, but I was 99% sure I was wrong. But it still counts! Even had the right book.

Got the TSes of Jackson (Mississippi), Jackson (Ketanji Brown), the Rhone, and the Hudson & Harlem Rivers (DD).

Guess they decided Amy's tattoo is okay for broadcast after all…

Edited by ams1001
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I said Larry McMurtrey.  I was pretty sure I was wrong, but what do you want from me?

I got the missed clues of Kentaji brown Jackson, Virginia City (thanks  Bonanza) and Rhone.

Not too bad for the TOC finals.  They tend to be harder than an ordinary game.

• Applause 3

Woo hoo!  I finally got an FJ!  And it was almost an instaget -- I thought of the book title first before I realized they wanted the author.  Then I spent the rest of the time second-guessing myself, but stuck with the correct response in the end.

As for TS, if they would have accepted "Justice Jackson" and "Wallace" instead of all three names for those two, I would have gotten those.  Given the category, maybe not, but given the laxity in accepting just surnames, maybe so.  I also got the director Luc Besson -- even remembered his first name.

Congrats, Amy!

• Applause 3
  • Love 3

I wonder if anyone who lives outside of the metro NYC area would know about the Harlem River. It's not even a river. It's a tidal strait (just looked up how it's described) that connects the Hudson to the East River (which also isn't a river). The East River connects the Long Island Sound to the upper bay & then the Atlantic Ocean. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Guess they decided Amy's tattoo is okay for broadcast after all…

36 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

I was very pleased to see Arm Ozma.

Amy's tattoo was very TV-photogenic! 
I found the reason she had to cover it last season (couldn't recall):

I can see why they wanted to get the artist's permission. 

4 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

I was hoping for “Meese” for the wrong answer thing. Because that was priceless. 

Same category; next season!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Larry McMurtrey.  I was pretty sure I was wrong, but what do you want from me?

I got the missed clues of Kentaji brown Jackson, Virginia City (thanks  Bonanza) and Rhone.

Not too bad for the TOC finals.  They tend to be harder than an ordinary game.

Wasn't Ketanji Brown Jackson a clue very recently? I'm sure that's the only reason I got it right 😅

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Fex said:

Wasn't Ketanji Brown Jackson a clue very recently? I'm sure that's the only reason I got it right 😅

I called her Ketanji Brown, so good for you! Some clues were easy, but for me a lot were tough. I like Amy. No odd quirks or irritating mannerisms.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I called her Ketanji Brown

In my head, I had Ketanji-Brown but assumed it was a last name.  I didn't have Jackson.  It made me wonder if they would have accepted Ketanji Brown or if you need to have the last name.  I am a little surprised none of them got this since it was so recent.

45 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I also got the director Luc Besson -- even remembered his first name.

Moi aussi.  I ever said it with a French accent.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

Glad for Amy that she won! Maureen did not have a good game at all: she only buzzed in and answered four questions, and she whiffed the Daily Double she found. I don't remember her from her original game, how did she do the first time around?

• Love 1