Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t remember Zach. I just looked him up and his last game was in February 2021?? Shouldn’t he have played in last year’s tournament? Or was there no Tournament last year because of Covid? I honestly can’t remember. My brain is mush.

Of the people I do remember, I’m rooting for Ryan.

Zack was the champion at the end of season 36 but was then unable to return to complete his run at the start of season 37. His run was paused until COVID restrictions were lifted. Brian Chang who was the current champion [in Feb 2021] when Zach returned and whom Zach defeated is also in this TOC. The 2021 TOC was played in May and they were after its cutoff.

ETA: the cutoff for the 2021 TOC was apparently January 2021. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
More precision
  • Useful 3

The last 7 TOC winners have been between the ages of 30 and 35.  (And Ken Jennings was 30 during most of his legendary 74-game winning streak.)

I believe Matt Amodio is now 31, so he is my prediction to win.  Jonathan Fisher and Eric Ahasic are also in their early 30s, and maybe some others, but all things considered, I will predict Matt.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I wonder if they will introduce Matt as Doctor since he finished his doctorate? 🤔

Do they normally introduce MDs, dentists, veterinarians, etc. with “doctor so-and-so”?  I’m really not remembering that. I’m guessing it would just be part of the brief description they give, if it’s relevant to their profession. I mean, have they ever introduced Mayim as “doctor”?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I wonder if they will introduce Matt as Doctor since he finished his doctorate? 🤔

I've never heard anyone introduced with Dr. and they've had plenty of all sorts. They're introduced profession, first name, last name, and where they are from.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I'm guessing all will know the answers but the win will go to the fastest thumb.

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Rowan will be a force to contend with on that front; they're fast on the buzzer, and will be the one with the freshest buzzer experience.

I recall Matt having a strategy of ringing in before he knew the answers. I’m not sure Rowan will know more answers than Matt. Definitely a toss up, based on both categories and contestant preparation.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Roaster said:

The last 7 TOC winners have been between the ages of 30 and 35.  (And Ken Jennings was 30 during most of his legendary 74-game winning streak.)

I believe Matt Amodio is now 31, so he is my prediction to win.  Jonathan Fisher and Eric Ahasic are also in their early 30s, and maybe some others, but all things considered, I will predict Matt.

How ageist of you. 🤣I'm kidding - really I am - just couldn't miss the layup.  Statistics can help predict - but there are always outliers, so I don't put much faith in them.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Do they normally introduce MDs, dentists, veterinarians, etc. with “doctor so-and-so”?  I’m really not remembering that. I’m guessing it would just be part of the brief description they give, if it’s relevant to their profession. I mean, have they ever introduced Mayim as “doctor”?

They don't generally, but I do figure since this is a change since he was last on Jeopardy, that they will make some mention of it at least.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

The show's website has a short description of each of the contestants (click on "the players").

I forgot Christine (the cancer survivor who took off her wig after her first game) was in this.  I am totally rooting for her in her game.

Thanks for the link. I remember just over 50% of the players, which although not great, is higher than usual for me! I’d forgotten Christine is in this, too. I will be rooting for her right along with Ryan. Although they are in adjoining brackets, so will face off in the 2nd round if both win the first. Hmm.

I forgot Eric until I read about his toothless cat, Potato. It’s all about the pets, for me!

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I recall Matt having a strategy of ringing in before he knew the answers. I’m not sure Rowan will know more answers than Matt. Definitely a toss up, based on both categories and contestant preparation.

Against players of this caliber, I’d assume that ringing in before you know the answer is a must for everyone. Hesitating will certainly be your downfall. And if you don’t know most of the answers after a moment’s contemplation, this probably isn’t the tournament for you, anyway.

(I’m guessing my FJ score for this tournament will be somewhere between 0-1/10.)

• Like 3
  • Love 2
On 10/30/2022 at 7:47 PM, 30 Helens said:

(I’m guessing my FJ score for this tournament will be somewhere between 0-1/10.)

Have the TOC clues historically been more difficult/esoteric? 
Regardless, at least we viewers at home will have the whole 30 seconds for FJ.
And what's that initialism? WYNIYNI? 

Correcting for posterity:

WYKIYKI

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Matt, Andrew and Ryan are my top 3. I also really liked Tyler, Zach, Eric, Brian and Margaret. Christine and Jessica are pleasant enough. I never saw Jaskaran, Sam, John or Courtney, but I'm rooting hard for John and Courtney now!

3 minutes ago, januaryman said:

Matt, Andrew and Ryan are my top 3. I also really liked Tyler, Zach, Eric, Brian and Margaret. Christine and Jessica are pleasant enough. I never saw Jaskaran, Sam, John or Courtney, but I'm rooting hard for John and Courtney now!

Jaskaran was the College Championship winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They have always seemed much more difficult to me.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

???

• Useful 1

I was looking at jeopardy.com and the TOC is different from how it has been in the past, apparently to make sure the contestants try to win each game.

In the past the first week consisted of five games and the winners of those games plus the four highest scoring non-winners would move to the next round.  So many times we would see people with high scores at the end of DJ stand pat with a low wager in FJ.  They weren't trying to win; they just didn't want to lose a lot of money in FJ and fall down the leading money-winner list.

This year, only the winners of the first round of games will move on.  No more coasting in with a high second-place score.

Also, in the past the finals were two-game affairs in which the eventual winner was whoever got the highest combined total in both games.  Contestants didn't have to win each game, and theoretically you could win neither game and still be crowned champion.  Clever Jeopardy players knew they didn't have to win one game to win it all.

This time, the finals is decided by the first player to win three games.  No more coming in second in one game and coasting in on your combined score.  The final could go as long as seven games.

In the past, tournaments were 10 games total.  This year, the TOC will be between 12 and 16 games.

• Useful 10

Since Rowan made it to the TOC, I hope this is the right place to ask this.  Does anyone know why I keep seeing their name as "rowan" (lowercase r)?  This is on "authoritative" sites like j-archive and the Jeopardy fan, but, not, I think, on the "official" Jeopardy! site.  It's not totally consistent; sometimes on the same page I'll see both versions (uppercase and lowercase).  My best guess is that "Rowan Ward" is their legal name, but "rowan" is sort of a nickname...?  I don't follow Twitter or whatever so maybe it was explained somewhere on social media.  Anyone have any info?

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Theoretically the final could be Amy, Matt, and Mattea?

That is likely the producers dream line-up. Putting the super-champs together at the end would probably draw a decent sized audience.

• Like 2

I am here for the TOC! (Mr Bliss is home from the hospital and will be watching with me. Yay!)

I'm not sure what I'm looking forward to most... the untournament or all your comments here. LOL

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Does anyone know why I keep seeing their name as "rowan" (lowercase r)?  This is on "authoritative" sites like j-archive and the Jeopardy fan, but, not, I think, on the "official" Jeopardy! site.  It's not totally consistent; sometimes on the same page I'll see both versions (uppercase and lowercase).  My best guess is that "Rowan Ward" is their legal name, but "rowan" is sort of a nickname...?  I don't follow Twitter or whatever so maybe it was explained somewhere on social media.  Anyone have any info?

I don't know about Rowan/rowan's legal name, but I do see they have written it lower case on Jeopardy!, which is a relief, since your post worried me that lower case instances might have been the result of some sort of troll action. 
Okay. I just tweeted rowan, who graciously replied that they prefer lowercase, and have been writing it that way for over 25 years.
Thanks, @SoMuchTV, for bringing this up, as I wouldn't have otherwise noticed.

image.png.cf34239e49c5d72c1898d5e53007844e.png

• Like 1
  • Useful 8
  • Love 3
31 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't know about Rowan/rowan's legal name, but I do see they have written it lower case on Jeopardy!, which is a relief, since your post worried me that lower case instances might have been the result of some sort of troll action. 
Okay. I just tweeted rowan, who graciously replied that they prefer lowercase, and have been writing it that way for over 25 years.

Yeah, I didn't think it was troll action, considering the places I saw it.  Andy on The Jeopordy Fan seems to be especially scrupulous about that kind of thing (even editing comments to correct the pronouns).  So I figured if he was presenting it that way, he must know something.  (A side note - TJF was the only site where I saw they/them references for Rowan's original appearance.  Every other place, including here, used she/her.  It confused me a bit, until more news surfaced later.)

I didn't read too much into the name on the podium; I'm pretty sure other contestants have used all lower case as a style choice.  Thanks for the info straight from the horse's mouth! (I'm guessing rowan wouldn't be offended by that idiom.)

• Like 2
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Don't know what that means, but it's kind of fun to say.

10 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think it's "when you know it you know it".

Thank you.

48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Must be a fan of e.e. cummings. I really like the name.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Don't know what that means, but it's kind of fun to say.

11 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think it's "when you know it you know it".

Thank you.

I think it's a close relative of IEIYKI

Spoiler

(it's easy if you know it)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Must be a fan of e.e. cummings. I really like the name.

I first thought e e cummings, too, although there are many others: k.d. lang, will.i.am, bell hooks to name a few. (Although I have read that e e cummings didn’t actually use lowercase himself, it was something a publisher did and it just stuck.)

Lowercase really has become something of a trend. I see it a lot in song titles— I think because it resembles text (non)punctuation and therefore seems more real. Companies like Target are starting to use it because they think it makes them more “approachable”. There seems to be an idea of genuineness tied to it that sometimes comes off as a little fake and pretentious to me, although I think there can also be sincere reasons for doing it: modesty, artistry, rejecting tradition, etc.

I wrote my name in lowercase for a hot minute in my teens because I thought it looked cool (and because I loved e e cummings). I gave it up pretty quickly but I don’t mind when others do it, unless they’re just being pretentious.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Theoretically the final could be Amy, Matt, and Mattea?

Yes, because they are all in different semi-final games.  So if they each won their semi-final game, they'd be the three finalists.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was stressing that I'll be gone tomorrow and maybe not home in time for ToC Tuesday. Then I saw who was on and it's He Who I Refuse To Name (or watch) after he sent my boyfriend home. So now I'm good with doing some relaxing errands after my appointments in town. The only time I've refused to watch was when he was on. A while back I came across a late-night rerun and thought, hey, I haven't seen this episode before! And then HE was shown ... and channel turned.

Like Horton, I am 100-percent faithful.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2

Ryan seemed sluggish right from the start & was guessing too much. Rats. I was shocked that no one recognized the Samoyed, the beautiful white dogs that smile. Either Ryan or Meghan would've been great. Oh well. Can't believe Meghan didn't get the big hint re: battle of wounded knee. ☹️

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

They seemed so low-energy compared to Celebrity J! Not that I’m complaining. They still did about 100 times better than I would have. 

I did settle on the correct FJ response (after cruising by Brokeback Mountain and Cripple Creek).

• Like 4
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Ryan seemed sluggish right from the start & was guessing too much. Rats. I was shocked that no one recognized the Samoyed, the beautiful white dogs that smile. Either Ryan or Meghan would've been great. Oh well. Can't believe Meghan didn't get the big hint re: battle of wounded knee. ☹️

I was so annoyed I couldn't come up with Samoyed. I knew it started with an S.

And I even follow Maya Polar Bear on youtube.

7-zf6fKU7ktbqIjC.jpg

• Love 5

Wow, that was such a dismal, sluggish game. 

I expect TOC to be tougher, but some of these categories were ridiculous, especially the two-vowel Parliament one. It seemed like none of the contestants understood the theme. I don't think one clue was answered correctly. 

I'm a die-hard follower of the MilkyBoki YouTube channel and was sort of crushed no one recognized the Samoyed. 

Hopefully the energy picks up a bit tomorrow. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I expect TOC to be tougher, but some of these categories were ridiculous, especially the two-vowel Parliament one. It seemed like none of the contestants understood the theme. I don't think one clue was answered correctly. 

At one point the look on Ken's face seemed to convey that he really wished he'd given them an explanation for the PARLIAMENT OF VOWELS category. 
Maybe when Ryan whiffed the DD?

And, yes, @BitterApple, not one clue in that category got a correct response. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I heard "Parliament of Owls" and was unable to make anything of the first clue until Ken said the expected response was Duma. 

I appreciated the fact that Ken explained why Voltaire although not German would have been Meghan's guess regarding the best of all possible worlds. Candide was in my mind as well and if they hadn't specified German I would have guessed the same.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Was it just me or was that a really hard game. I don't recall it being a good 5 questions in before someone got it right. And even so it was a low scoring game. Though I did shock myself and guest FJ correctly.

I was disappointed Ryan lost. I remember enjoying his run.

• Like 8

15 triple stumpers today - 25% of clues!  I can only imagine what pressure the players must be feeling, but I hope tomorrow's game feels a bit worthier of the occasion.  I was disappointed.

5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Companies like Target are starting to use [lowercase] because they think it makes them more “approachable”.

It's interesting you say this!  I came across an article about Sears the other day and noticed that the way they present the name in their logo went from "Sears" to "SEARS" in 1984 back to "Sears" in 2004 and then to "sears" in 2010.  I'm sure there are many other similar examples.   

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Some of these categories were ridiculous, especially the two-vowel Parliament one. It seemed like none of the contestants understood the theme. I don't think one clue was answered correctly. 

You're right, not a single one.  I thought maybe they'd've had a better chance to pick up on the theme had they played it sequentially, but they really shouldn't need that in ToC level play.  I thought Ken gave them a strong hint at least twice, in the way he gave the correct answer, that should have gotten the wheels turning.  Never mind the "we've given you the answer with only the vowels" conceit - after the clue given on the first incorrect response, I thought 3 of the other 4 were relatively straightforward as "what is the parliament of Japan / the country associated with Reichstag / the one associated with Ben Gurion?"  I thought the Althing was definitely the toughest.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Methinks the J! writers may consider a rethink! Are they attempting to get a 'most clever' award? Some of those clues were beyond normal weird.

I hate it when I'm so excited to see an episode of a fave show and then am disappointed because it doesn't live up to my expectations. The energy level seemed super low today. I started to root for Megan (hope I have her name correct... the one in the middle) and then she flamed out. Ryan seemed out of sorts from how I remembered him... and the winner is to be congratulated for keeping calm and centred. JMO.

There goes that lesson on expectations again. Grrr.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

You're right, not a single one.  I thought maybe they'd've had a better chance to pick up on the theme had they played it sequentially, but they really shouldn't need that in ToC level play.  I thought Ken gave them a strong hint at least twice, in the way he gave the correct answer, that should have gotten the wheels turning.  Never mind the "we've given you the answer with only the vowels" conceit - after the clue given on the first incorrect response, I thought 3 of the other 4 were relatively straightforward as "what is the parliament of Japan / the country associated with Reichstag / the one associated with Ben Gurion?"  I thought the Althing was definitely the toughest.

I mean, speaking only for myself, you could outright ask me "what is the parliament of Japan" and I would have no idea. I knew the country associated with Ben Gurion was Israel but didn't know what the Israeli parliament is called. For me, it wasn't not understanding the category - I just didn't know the answers, plain and simple. I had assumed it was the same for the contestants, but if many people here got them, then maybe not?

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Bliss said:

the winner is to be congratulated for keeping calm

Always remember to Stay Clam.

As a side note, the Samoyed that was pictured was Striker, GCHP CH Vanderbilt 'N Printemp's Lucky Strike, a dog shown by a long-time good friend of mine. I've known her since forever. I traveled with her in the past to help her with her dogs, and she with mine. Striker was suppose to retire after winning the working group at Westminster, but he's still being shown. He is the No. 1 working dog and No. 14 among all breeds of dogs for Best in Show wins. Some day he really will retire, and go home to Canada!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

Since it's the ToC, I took a break from football to watch, rather than reading the archive.

I am not the best around (although I now have that song in my head), because I missed three in that category -- and only got Seattle's Best because Ryan ruled out Starbucks; I, too, forgot the category.  But I otherwise did well - and far better than the contestants, which I was not expecting at this level* - in the first round, as I ran streets and got all but one in the rest.

In DJ, I missed three each in books and heavenly bodies (it should have been two in that one, but I couldn't spit out pulsar in time) and two in parliament.  But I ran confusion and got all but one in five and television (I used to watch Flipper, but didn't retain the theme song), so I feel good about my performance.

FJ was an instaget.

*I was surprised by the number of TS!  My biggest individual surprise was pentathlon, so I liked Ken pointedly reminding them of the category.  They were evenly matched throughout, everyone holding the lead at some point, so that went as I figured it would, they just were universally not having a very good game.  (I know, I know -- it's much easier at home!  But this isn't anyone's first rodeo, and I was not expecting such a lackluster game in the ToC.)

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Zach Newkirk posted a short Twitter thread (6 tweets) with some great photos taken during the taping of the TOC. Who knew that the ceiling on the Alex Trebek Stage would be so stunning!?! There are also photos of the buzzer, the contestant's podium, the risers and more. Good luck Zach!

For those who don't care for Twitter's formatting, I've unrolled the Twitter thread for ease of reading. You can see it, with the photos, at the website I've linked beneath the tweet.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1587091884559712261.html

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I mean, speaking only for myself, you could outright ask me "what is the parliament of Japan" and I would have no idea. I knew the country associated with Ben Gurion was Israel but didn't know what the Israeli parliament is called. For me, it wasn't not understanding the category - I just didn't know the answers, plain and simple. I had assumed it was the same for the contestants, but if many people here got them, then maybe not?

It seems I am the outlier, although I guess I still feel that I expect the people onstage for the ToC to be better than us at home.  I probably am more interested than the average bear in world politics / current events so while it seems I probably did overestimate how "easy" that category was for all of us at home, I still feel it should have been within the grasp of ToC level contestants.  Maybe I'm just feeling sour about what seemed to me like a damp squib of a game to start.  Shake it off, self!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I didn't keep score, but I didn't think the clues were any harder than usual. I especially didn't think the parliament category was that hard. Obviously it was, but I wouldn't have expected the clue-writers to know that it would be.

I was wondering if anyone checked the air quality in the studio. Was the level of carbon dioxide too high? 

I'm not being snarky. I felt bad for all concerned. 

• Like 2

Well, I commented yesterday that TOC clues are harder, and this game did nothing to change my mind. Although in this case, it wasn’t so much the information they were seeking as the wording of the clues themselves. It was so convoluted that by the time I figured out what they were asking for, time was up.

Very frustrating. Although I did get FJ, so I may beat my predicted 1/10! 

But who cares about me. I’m sad for Ryan, as he was the one I was really pulling for. I think he (and the others) were all as confused by the clues as I was. I also wonder if having his son in the audience may have thrown him off a bit. I hope the son was still proud, because he should be.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I will probably miss tomorrow's game. I'm scheduled for cataract surgery at 1:15. By the times it's done, I'll probably just come home & sleep...cause I'm sure not sleepy now.

Had it 10 years ago.  I was nervous but it ended up being quite a simple procedure.  Bonus was that after a lifetime of extreme myopia I could see perfectly! Downside was that I suddenly needed reading glasses.

Tonight’s game was a bit underwhelming.  I expected higher scores and not so many TS clues.  I was hoping Ryan would advance but I do like Maureen. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Had it 10 years ago.  I was nervous but it ended up being quite a simple procedure.  Bonus was that after a lifetime of extreme myopia I could see perfectly! Downside was that I suddenly needed reading glasses.

I'll probably still need glasses for my astigmatism. Medicare won't pay for the lenses that correct it and I can't afford to pay for them out of pocket.

I wasn't paying strict attention, but count me as one of the people yelling, "KNESSET!!" at the television.  I thought FJ was easy for me; I'm not sure why. I DO love the poem by Stephen Vincent Benet, "American Names."

American Names

I have fallen in love with American names,
The sharp names that never get fat,
The snakeskin-titles of mining-claims,
The plumed war-bonnet of Medicine Hat,
Tucson and Deadwood and Lost Mule Flat.

Seine and Piave are silver spoons,
But the spoonbowl-metal is thin and worn,
There are English counties like hunting-tunes
Played on the keys of a postboy’s horn,
But I will remember where I was born.

I will remember Carquinez Straits,
Little French Lick and Lundy’s Lane,
The Yankee ships and the Yankee dates
And the bullet-towns of Calamity Jane.
I will remember Skunktown Plain.

I will fall in love with a Salem tree
And a rawhide quirt from Santa Cruz,
I will get me a bottle of Boston sea
And a blue-gum (n-word) to sing me blues.
I am tired of loving a foreign muse.

Rue des Martyrs and Bleeding-Heart-Yard,
Senlis, Pisa, and Blindman’s Oast,
It is a magic ghost you guard
But I am sick for a newer ghost,
Harrisburg, Spartanburg, Painted Post.

Henry and John were never so
And Henry and John were always right?
Granted, but when it was time to go
And the tea and the laurels had stood all night,
Did they never watch for Nantucket Light?

I shall not rest quiet in Montparnasse.
I shall not lie easy at Winchelsea.
You may bury my body in Sussex grass,
You may bury my tongue at Champmédy.
I shall not be there. I shall rise and pass.
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee.

• Like 1
  • Love 8