Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I was surprised nobody knew White Teeth. I consider myself smart if I know something James missed. I had no clue  for final Jeopardy.

Agreed! I also had a couple of "wow, I actually knew that and James didn't?" moments...

... and then he continues to give answers (correctly) to such a wide variety of topics... and my smugness smartness evaporates and I have to put on my humble hat again. Probably a good thing!

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Prior to yesterday, I would have agreed with your offspring-in-law.  I've never heard of the "sun belt."

You smart guys always stick together 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, anniebird said:

Am I the only one who (wrongly) guessed Farm Belt? 

Yes, congratulations, you stand alone. While I stand alone with (Rust Belt and) Cotton Belt. And I even know what the Sun Belt is, but it ... went over my head, while I've seen a lot of Arkansas cotton bolls.

• LOL 2
21 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, y’all are ahead of me. I couldn’t even figure out that they were looking for two different belts for the response  😞

Even after seeing the correct response and everyone else's guesses, I'm still having trouble working out the logic behind the answer.  The clue was:  In 2018 Forbes said this "Belt's Demographic Delight is" this other "Belt's Demographic Dilemma"

What is it that's the Demographic Delight & Demographic Dilemma?  The sun?  That makes sense for the sun belt, but why is it the rust belt's dilemma?  Or is it some demographic group like senior citizens?  Or am I missing something more obvious (a safe bet)?

Edited by SoMuchTV
Left out a word
  • Love 3

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! Came home from running errands and quickly turned on Jeopardy....and what did I see? The stupid impeachment hearings! They are on the News networks but is that enough? No! NBC sends out the announcement that the local stations have to run it. I immediately called our station(me and a zillion others!). They will be running the show at 2:30 AM so I will be able to see it at least. The programming director said that there is nothing planned for Thursday so the show should run as planned. As for Friday, they will start with the coverage at 9:00 AM but he said it should not run as long as today. If it does, they will have it at 2:30AM again. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Even after seeing the correct response and everyone else's guesses, I'm still having working out the logic behind the answer.  The clue was:  In 2018 Forbes said this "Belt's Demographic Delight is" this other "Belt's Demographic Dilemma"

What is it that's the Demographic Delight & Demographic Dilemma?  The sun?  That makes sense for the sun belt, but why is it the rust belt's dilemma?  Or is it some demographic group like senior citizens?  Or am I missing something more obvious (a safe bet)?

I had a hard time understanding the clue too.  I did get that they wanted two belts that were more or less opposites of each other. The only 'belt' I could come up with was Bible Belt - so I wondered where the Sin Belt was.

I hope Francois wins tonight.  I can actually see him taking down James.

Edited by Trey
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

That is another fine example of a cr*ppily written FJ clue. If we recorded every poorly written clue, we'd have a library's worth by now. Think too much about it and you'll hurt your brain. The only thing I can suppose is rust happens when there's not enough sun, meaning the opposite of sun is rain. You know, the Rain Belt. Eh.

Rooting for Francois here, too.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The only thing I can suppose is rust happens when there's not enough sun,

My son explained to me! "Rust Belt" is a term for an informal region of the United States that experienced industrial decline starting around 1980. It is made up mostly of places in the Midwest and Great Lakes, though definitions vary.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Trey said:

I had a hard time understanding the clue too.  I did get that they wanted two belts that were more or less opposites of each other. The only 'belt' I could come up with was Bible Belt - so I wondered where the Sin Belt was.

I hope Francois wins tonight.  I can actually see him taking down James.

"Sin Belt" - I like it. 😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

What is it that's the Demographic Delight & Demographic Dilemma?

It's about population growth and economic growth; in the Sun Belt, they've gone hand in hand, but in the Rust Belt, a recent uptick in population growth after decades of decline hasn't also created economic growth -- because of the  differences (in age, education, industries in which they work, etc.) of the people moving to the two regions.  Basically, the Sun Belt gained the people the Rust Belt lost, those in the demographics that lead to economic growth/are attracted to and able to up and move to areas of economic growth, furthering the hand-in-hand cycle.  So it's the Sun Belt's demographic delight, but the Rust Belt's demographic dilemma. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, Roaster said:

Like most everyone, I expect James to win easily

Idk, I think if Francois makes the final, and I fully expect he will, he may take it all.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:59 PM, Katy M said:

I did not get FJ.

I got quite a few TSs though:  Basketball, soccer, ostentatious, John Nash, Pascale and Caddy Shack.

I got FJ, but it was a guess and I didn't think it was correct.  I did get soccer, John Nash and Caddy Shack, and Arkansas as well.

I almost blew the previous game's FJ, which would've been terrible since I love the Jungle Book and I love Shere Khan.

So, so , so glad that obnoxious twit Ryan, now with idiotic facial hair, lost badly in his quarterfinal.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, Bastet said:

I figured writ of certiorari was going to be a TS.

I work in the court system, and while I have vaguely heard of the term, I didn't get it.  I said writ of mandamus instead.  Oops.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, Bastet said:

The other TS that surprised me to some degree were ostentatious, Caddyshack, and Blaise Pascal. 

I knew Pascal because I took a programming class in it once.  Don't remember a thing about it except the name, though.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:46 AM, Toothbrush said:

FJ was not an instaget, but I got it in time.  Ran the sports category with 3/5 guesses (knew Gabby Douglas and Ali Krieger & Ashlyn Harris)

I didn't know basketball, but did know the rest.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:46 AM, Toothbrush said:

What sucks is that if this ends up being Alex's final ToC, more deserving players may not get their ToC opportunity after all.

The show isn't going to end if Alex has to step down, so some of the players after Emma's run will still get a chance.  Like my cutie Sam.

20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I said rust and steel.  I'm on a roll this week of missing FJ!

I said rust and bible, but didn't think bible was right.

18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Since I missed James's appearance in the initial round of this ToC, this was my first time seeing him since I got sick of him during his original run.  It turns out enough time had passed that he didn't bug me.  I still have several others I'd rather see win the whole thing, but it was nice that time reset things to me just watching him, rather than being annoyed by him. 

For me, it was less about him being annoying in the TOC (which he wasn't particularly during his original run) and more about the producers building him up so much beforehand.  James himself is okay.  Still rooting for Francois, though.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I was surprised nobody knew White Teeth. I consider myself smart if I know something James missed. I had no clue  for final Jeopardy.

I hated that book so much I stopped reading it about a third of the way through, but I'll never forget it.

27 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That is another fine example of a cr*ppily written FJ clue. If we recorded every poorly written clue, we'd have a library's worth by now. Think too much about it and you'll hurt your brain. The only thing I can suppose is rust happens when there's not enough sun, meaning the opposite of sun is rain. You know, the Rain Belt. Eh.

Rooting for Francois here, too.

I didn't think it was a crappily written clue, even though I thought it was hard.  Demographics implied to me that it was about population, which the Rust Belt is losing, so the other one had to be somewhere gaining in population.  I just didn't get that one correct.

• Love 1

I was a bit confused about why Alex was surprised when the other two contestants didn't bet anything on the final jeopardy question.  They mathematically couldn't catch James even if he "got it wrong".  Then prior to answering the question they were told they would each get 10,000 as there was no second place during the competition.  So other then playing for fun, they had no reason to care what the answer was or to bet anything as they already knew what money they will get.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

My son explained to me! "Rust Belt" is a term for an informal region of the United States that experienced industrial decline starting around 1980. It is made up mostly of places in the Midwest and Great Lakes, though definitions vary.

Yes, we know what the Rust Belt is. But how does it apply to how the FJ clue was written? The clue: In 2018 Forbes said this "Belt's Demographic Delight is" this other "Belt's Demographic Dilemma." Why is one belt's delight the other belt's dilemma? See if your son can explain that. I live in the Midwest and we have plenty of sun here.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

The show isn't going to end if Alex has to step down, so some of the players after Emma's run will still get a chance.  Like my cutie Sam.

I hope this isn't Alex's final ToC, but if so, I hope that the players who would have qualified but were left out are able to play in the post-Trebek era. I would imagine there would be some sort of a time-lapse between hosts, and the producers may want a clean slate. 

Like Gilbert, I first thought of Bernoulli for FJ.  But at the back of my mind I was worried Bernoulli was Swiss, although the name could be Italian.

I did not come up with Torricelli, who the pressure unit torr is named after.

Anyway, my man Francois is in the finals!  He's carrying the hopes of the over 50s in the J! audience.  Old guys!  (I'm older than Francois, but same decade.)

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Love 6

Arrrgh! This show. So picky about certain answers, but other wrong ones slide by. A bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy is removal of both the fallopian tubes and ovaries, NOT just the ovaries. How do they get something so basic wrong?

I was glad Francois won, but I'm rooting for James the next two days.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, we know what the Rust Belt is. But how does it apply to how the FJ clue was written? The clue: In 2018 Forbes said this "Belt's Demographic Delight is" this other "Belt's Demographic Dilemma." Why is one belt's delight the other belt's dilemma? See if your son can explain that. I live in the Midwest and we have plenty of sun here.

Having grown up in the rustbelt and having moved to the sunbelt, I remember hearing the comments about the dying, rusting north. My own hometown's factories were shutting down & life was then drastically changing for the worse there & many other northern cities & towns. That's why the clue was so (sadly) obvious to me. 

Go Francois!!

• Love 3

Woo hoo!  My FJ losing streak continues!  I feel like I should have known it, but it didn't even seem familiar.

At least I did get "Good night and good luck", and Barbara Kingsolver, so all is not lost.

I'll be out tomorrow night, but will record it and catch up before Friday's game.

ETA: Go, Francois!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3

I had no idea on FJ.  I said Baro, because I thought maybe it was talking about a barometer, and I don't know who invented the barometer, but Baro sounds like it could be an Italian name.  I should get some kind of prize for most ridiculous answers.

I actually did fairly well in the first two rounds.  At least for a TOC.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
Just now, catlover79 said:

It's so funny. I was watching tonight's episode with the folks when all of a sudden my mom shouted, "These questions are TOO EASY!!" I knew she was right because even I was answering the majority of questions correctly. 😂

Well, now I feel stupid.  I got a lot of Qs right for a TOC, but I still missed a bunch.    Like Uruguay.  I said Venzuela.  Then I felt like I should have known that.  I would have gotten Carson McCullers if they had given me longer because I said Colleen McCullough, no that's not right.  

• Love 2
On 11/7/2019 at 7:58 PM, Driad said:

Boston area viewers -- On Friday 11/8, Jeopardy will air on WSBK instead of WBZ, at the usual time of 7:30.

Same this Friday 11/15.  I wish they would do this for non-TOC games too.

FJ today -- yay, a science (history) question for the physics teacher!

• Love 6

I have never heard of that Italian scientist.  Good thing I wasn’t a contestant on today’s show.  Yes, bilateral salpingo etc is removal of ovaries and Fallopian tubes, both sides.

I always knew Gilbert was a class act.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SpiritSong said:

Arrrgh! This show. So picky about certain answers, but other wrong ones slide by. A bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy is removal of both the fallopian tubes and ovaries, NOT just the ovaries. How do they get something so basic wrong?

Probably written by men with no knowledge of female anatomy?

I also chafed a bit at "SQ" as a medical abbreviation. It should never make its way into a medical chart. It's on the list of abbreviations that aren't allowed for safety reasons.

For FJ I quickly grasped that they were looking for the inventor of the barometer, hadn't the foggiest idea who that might be, so moved on to units of pressure and settled on Pascal as the SI unit for pressure (completely forgot about torr, as a non-standard unit). And in my head thought that maybe Pascal would be Italian...which obviously he isn't (but, neither is Bernoulli!). Anyways, after all of that thinking, I didn't get FJ.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, ABay said:

I was sure FJ was signore Baro, inventor of the barometer.

Hah! I picked--nobody cause, just like Butterfly McQueen's character said, "I don't know nothin' 'bout..." physics. What *was* the name of her character in GWTW?  Yay, Francois! Is it possible for him to beat James? 

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I would have gotten Carson McCullers

That would be Kit Carson McCullers.

It's Prissy that don't know nothin' bout birthin' babies. I don't know how I know that - never saw the movie, never read the book. I guess living in Metro Atlanta, you pick this crap up by osmosis.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Go Francois!

Not because I particularly like him, but I'm not a huge Emma fan and (as some of you may know), I can't stand James!

I said rust/bible belt last night.

I said Bernoulli tonight. Not Italian, but thank you for playing. I did get Demi Lovato, so that made me feel better. ;-)

Dhruv is supposed to be on Ellen tomorrow, but not sure if the schedule will be messed up because of the hearings today.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ABay said:

I was sure FJ was signore Baro, inventor of the barometer.

Ha ha.  Me, too.  Except I was quite sure that was probably not quite right:)

1 hour ago, Driad said:

Same this Friday 11/15.  I wish they would do this for non-TOC games too.

FJ today -- yay, a science (history) question for the physics teacher!

I know.  I miss my Jeopardy on Fridays during football season, but I'm not waiting up until 2:30 in the morning to watch it.  I doubt I would do very well at that our of the day anyway.

I came in just a few clues before the first commercial break, so I checked the archive during that break for the clues I missed, effectively "seeing" the whole game.  I was rooting for Lindsey (although I had a moment's pause on that when she didn't seem to even recognize "Good night and good luck" when the correct answer to her missed DD was revealed), but I'd have been very happy with any of tonight's three in the finals.  I hope Emma or Francois win (preferably her).

Add me to the list of those annoyed by "ovaries" accepted when the procedure refers to the removal of the ovaries and Fallopian tubes; that's what the salpingo means!  Removal of both ovaries would be bilateral oophorectomy, removal of both Fallopian tubes would be bilateral splingectomy, and bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, what the clue asked about, is removal of both ovaries and both Fallopian tubes.

Demi Lovato, a $200 clue with a photo, as a TS doesn't surprise me even in a ToC, I guess, since pop culture is a bit of a wild card under any circumstances (I couldn't come up with her name, either).  Same with Rachel Hollis (her I've never heard of, and I can't with anyone I look up and find "influencer" in the results).  The Barbara Kingsolver and Emperor of Japan TS did surprise me a bit, but no big ones tonight.

I got subcutaneous, but I've never seen it abbreviated SQ, just subQ (I'm talking lay vernacular, though, not medical charts).

And I knew the term "toady" but not where it came from until tonight; thank you, J!

For FJ, I'd have been stuck with "Who is the guy who invented the barometer?"

• Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I googled and found the Forbes article here. To tell you the truth, I started reading then my brain shut down.

As for tonight's show, all I got was Demi Lovato. I almost got Barbara Kingsolver, but once again the name wouldn't quite come to me.

No idea on FJ. I was picturing something I'd seen in a catalog, but it turns out it was a Galileo thermometer.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's Prissy that don't know nothin' bout birthin' babies. I don't know how I know that - never saw the movie, never read the book. I guess living in Metro Atlanta, you pick this crap up by osmosis.

You should see the movie just for that scene, telling Miss Scarlett with her high pitched voice that she didn't know nothin' bout birthin' babies. And Scarlett just snapped at her and told her to pull herself together (or something like that). Yes, you must've picked up this info' re: GWTW via osmosis! Thanks so much. Who knows--some day on Jeopardy, it might be FJ 😉

• Love 2

I know I am at a lonely table but I am actually rooting for James.  I became more fond of him as his run went on.  Emma is obviously bright and quick but if she hadn't beaten James, would she even be in the ToC? I missed Francois' qualifying game last week but he seemed not as convivial as I remember him (not a requirement for winning I know).

Mainly I am rooting for James because I think he is in an unenviable position.  If he loses, he will have "blown" it and if he wins, it will seem "of course he did".

I am now sitting quietly at my table in the back, trying to avoid the swinging doors to the kitchen or bathroom.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

Dhruv is supposed to be on Ellen tomorrow, but not sure if the schedule will be messed up because of the hearings today.

Dhruv was my teevee boyfriend during his tournament. He looks too old for me now.

2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I said Bernoulli tonight. Not Italian, but thank you for playing.

Does anyone besides me remember the Bernoulli disks? They were quite the invention for storing and transferring big computer files. I still have several of them. Collecting dust.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I know I am at a lonely table but I am actually rooting for James.  I became more fond of him as his run went on.  

Mainly I am rooting for James because I think he is in an unenviable position.  If he loses, he will have "blown" it and if he wins, it will seem "of course he did".

No, I'm right there with you. I was impressed by James during his entire run, and remain so. His breadth of knowledge just amazes me, and I hope he wins it all.

• Love 15

I like all 3 finalists, but will be rooting for James or François. I wish Gilbert & François would have been in different semis (& won) because I would have loved a James/Gilbert/François final. 

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Baro,  I should get some kind of prize for most ridiculous answers.  

We said Baro too, so any ridiculous answer prize will need to be shared with the Toothbrushes. 

40 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Emma is obviously bright and quick but if she hadn't beaten James, would she even be in the ToC?

She would not, which is why I can't root for her to win. I almost wish she wouldn't have made the finals so the James/Emma rematch anticipation would have been a bust. Guess that makes me petty af, as the kids say. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

"The title of Pete Saunders 2018 Forbes article is “The Sun Belt’s Demographic Delight Is The Rust Belt’s Demographic Dilemma — For Now ” In it, he entertains the possibility that “Our nation could very well be entering a period in which Sun Belt cities have approached maturation, and the explosive gains they made during their adolescent period are a thing of the past. Rust Belt cities might also have turned the post-industrial corner, and found the path toward new economic sustainability.”

https://fikklefame.com/final-jeopardy-11-12-19/

This is from the oriignal article:

"Ever since the dawn of the modern industrial economy, people have long associated population growth with economic growth. The assumption is that people make rational moves to places where jobs are plentiful and opportunities are greatest. It's also assumed that the timing of individual moves roughly coincide with periods of economic growth for a given place. But there's growing evidence that population change, up or down, is a lagging indicator -- the moves people make don't always coincide with the current economic path of their chosen destination. And that has ramifications for places on either end of the economic spectrum."

https://tinyurl.com/yzf9dkmk

...still convoluted and confusing, despite the Cliff Notes ; ) 

Edited by film noire
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, now I feel stupid.  I got a lot of Qs right for a TOC, but I still missed a bunch.    Like Uruguay.  I said Venzuela.  Then I felt like I should have known that.  I would have gotten Carson McCullers if they had given me longer because I said Colleen McCullough, no that's not right.  

I split the difference and said Carson McCollough...

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

Probably written by men with no knowledge of female anatomy?

Salpingo meant nothing to me I just assumed it was a technique related to the "ectomy".  I did recognize oophorectomy, so I got it right and learned something new on the forum.

11 hours ago, lb60 said:

Go Francois!

Not because I particularly like him, but I'm not a huge Emma fan and (as some of you may know), I can't stand James!

Huh, I hadn't heard. 😉

9 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I know I am at a lonely table but I am actually rooting for James.  I became more fond of him as his run went on.  Emma is obviously bright and quick but if she hadn't beaten James, would she even be in the ToC? I missed Francois' qualifying game last week but he seemed not as convivial as I remember him (not a requirement for winning I know).

I am now sitting quietly at my table in the back, trying to avoid the swinging doors to the kitchen or bathroom.

I like all of them, so I won't be rooting for any one person. I might lean toward Francois, as he's nearer my age, but other than that, I'm just looking forward to the games.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I like all of them, so I won't be rooting for any one person. I might lean toward Francois, as he's nearer my age, but other than that, I'm just looking forward to the games.

Me too.

Last night's game was very good and competitive.  I hope the two final games are as good. 

• Love 6

I like James, I like Francois.  I’m meh on Emma. Neither like nor dislike her.  I’ll be happy with any of them as champion, although I’m pulling a little bit more for Francois.  I thought Lindsay was going to win last night based on the J! round, but Francois quietly steamrolled ahead.

• Love 4