Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

41 minutes ago, Bliss said:

His brain is lightning quick, especially answering those before-during-after categories. Sheesh!

That's when I wish I had the ability to pause live TV. I needed more time on all of those!

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was wondering if they would have accepted volume of liquor.

"Peck" is just for dry volume in the U.S.

• Love 2

That's when I wish I had the ability to pause live TV. I needed more time on all of those!

Me, too.

Except for Classic American plays, Tony-winning roles and...synonyms for black (I have looked up more than one syn for black while writing my books).

I ran those categories and MIGHT have beat out James and Emma at the buzzer.

Or not.

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, dcalley said:

My son offered to pause for me - I would have needed about half an hour for each of those.

My only moment of (personal) glory for me this whole tournament was when I knew Oscar Wilde and James didn't.

Edited by anniebird
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Well, some kind of amazing thing happened here and I was able to watch the two final ToC games online tonight w/o either one locking up, a first since I lost the Jeopardy network. It was interesting to see what ya'll had been discussing here. Thank you President Eisenhower.

For the clue that asked for the term that is the same for a taxi driver and a rented horse, I said livery while the answer was hack. Any thoughts on that?

I laughed with everyone else, the audience and James, when Trebek read the clue asking for Barbara Cartland's genre. Golden.

I did another LOL seeing the map with Utah and Wyoming printed on it. Wouldn't the name of the Colorado site have been easy for these brainiacs to answer without a map, especially a map with the states printed on it?

I was highly irritated that Trebek continued his dickweed ways by telling Francois, at the end of the first final game, "You, OF COURSE, are way off the lead." What an a-hole. He might as well have added "Loser" to the end of that sentence.

Then the next game Trebek disses Francois AGAIN during the interview. He asks Emma about well-known people contacting her after her games, asked James about people asking him for a loan after he won so much money, then he moves to Francois and says, "Francois, what about you?" Well, what about you WHAT, Trebek? To Francois' credit, he managed some sentences to thank everyone. Trebek can be such a jerk, ranking on Francois while pandering to James. Ugh.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For the clue that asked for the term that is the same for a taxi driver and a rented horse, I said livery while the answer was hack. Any thoughts on that?

I also said livery and I thought it would be acceptable.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I hated the volume question because ever since, I've been humming/singing/whistling "I Love You a Bushel and a Peck" from "Guys and Dolls."  It's a cute song, but not 24/7. It's even showing up in my dreams. You bet your pretty neck it does. (What's weird is earlier that day, I put the G&D CD on and sang along with the entire show, but nothing got stuck in my mental jukebox.)

I'm going to see a high-school version of "Chicago" this afternoon - I'm hoping "Razzle Dazzle" will knock "Bushel & a Peck" out of my head. (And I'm eager to see what's been edited out for high school performances.)

I'll be glad to get back to regular games. Do you think we've seen the last of James?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I suppose I should just google this, but I still don't get what the clue is referring to: "In a 1644 letter he wrote, "We live submerged at the bottom of an ocean of air", which is what his invention measures."  What is Toricelli's invention, and what does it measure?  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I hated the volume question because ever since, I've been humming/singing/whistling "I Love You a Bushel and a Peck" from "Guys and Dolls."  It's a cute song, but not 24/7. It's even showing up in my dreams. You bet your pretty neck it does. (What's weird is earlier that day, I put the G&D CD on and sang along with the entire show, but nothing got stuck in my mental jukebox.)

I'm going to see a high-school version of "Chicago" this afternoon - I'm hoping "Razzle Dazzle" will knock "Bushel & a Peck" out of my head. (And I'm eager to see what's been edited out for high school performances.)

I'll be glad to get back to regular games. Do you think we've seen the last of James?

Aw man, now you've put it into my head. Well, I'm going to use a method I just saw on the Late Show, I forget which actor mentioned this (maybe Lithgow), but I've tried it and it kind of works.

What you do is interrupt it with a very short jingle, which theoretically won't become an ear worm of its own. The example given was from a commercial "By Mennen!" I've been using it - and though I have to play it in my mind a couple of times, it does actually work for me.

As for James, well, have we seen the last of Ken? 😉

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

What you do is interrupt it with a very short jingle, which theoretically won't become an ear worm of its own. The example given was from a commercial "By Mennen!" I've been using it - and though I have to play it in my mind a couple of times, it does actually work for me.

I've always used Happy Birthday - works for me but probably any short song/jingle would do.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Obviously, there will have to be a James-Ken-Brad match-up!

Please. Just a big fat NO to that. I'd be for a James vs. Watson match though.

Does anyone have a barometer these days? Used to be, everyone had a thermometer/barometer mounted side by side to hang on the wall. I think since weather alerts are now on the tv and radio, a barometer isn't used by the general population any more to warn of an impending tornado or some massive storm.

If that should happen, I'd root for James, then Ken, then Brad as a distant third.  My greatest hope is that I've seen the last of Emma. Actually, I can say that I have seen the last of Emma, because if they did bring her back, I wouldn't watch.

Edited by Kimmmmmm
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Obviously, there will have to be a James-Ken-Brad match-up!

I think Ken and Brad are just getting too old to go up against James and hope to win.  Probably not a politically correct thing to say and, if Ken or Brad see this post, they will surely sign up just to tell me off😁

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

If you have a smart phone, you probably have a barometer.

Dang-you're right! We have a barometer on our sailboat, more decoration than anything else, but I still move the needle to see the changes.

Looking forward to regular games tomorrow.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Trey said:

I think Ken and Brad are just getting too old to go up against James and hope to win.  Probably not a politically correct thing to say and, if Ken or Brad see this post, they will surely sign up just to tell me off😁

Not Ken, because he's said that himself.  During James's original run, of course Ken kept getting asked who would win if they played each other.  He said the relevant question is one that can't be answered:  Who would win if James played 2004 Ken? 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Not Ken, because he's said that himself.  During James's original run, of course Ken kept getting asked who would win if they played each other.  He said the relevant question is one that can't be answered:  Who would win if James played 2004 Ken? 

Maybe it can be answered.  If James Dean can come out with a new movie, surely they can find a way for 2004 Ken to play James:)

• LOL 6
54 minutes ago, Trey said:

I think Ken and Brad are just getting too old to go up against James and hope to win.  Probably not a politically correct thing to say

I think it's OK to say.  Sportscasters openly talk about athletes' ages and recognize there is an age window for top performance.  Right now Ken is 45 and Brad is 41, which isn't a lot older than James at 35.

Because I'm a nerd, I looked up the ages (when they won) of the last 6 TOC champs: Roger Craig, Colby Burnett, Ben Ingram, Alex Jacob, Buzzy Cohen, and James Holzhauer.  They ranged from 30 to 35.  James was the oldest.  This doesn't rule out someone older or younger winning, but it's good evidence of an optimal age range for being a peak Jeopardy player.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

If James Dean can come out with a new movie, surely they can find a way for 2004 Ken to play James:)

They could CGI Ken's face onto Watson. I'd be all about that match up.

Ken has addressed his age in his Twitter feed. A while back, he posted his photo when he was 30, then his photo "now," which was a hysterically funny Nick-Nolte-like mug-shot image. Ken's Twitter is way fun.

I just played J6 from Friday's game and scored a perfect 12/12. Sort of makes up for my 0/5 in the FJ Contest. (But not really.)

• Love 1

Finally got to watch the final 2 games of the ToC. After making it 13 years as parents with no kiddos breaking bones, one of the pre-teen queens fractured her humerus. Of course it's her dominant arm, but she hasn't been in too much pain & it doesn't seem like surgery will  be needed, and she has a purple sling that she & her sister decorated with glitter glue. Glitter glue makes everything better when you're a 10-year old girl. I was spoiled that James won, but was glad to finally be able to sit & watch at 11:30 Sunday night. Too late for wine, so I settled for a Reese's Christmas tree.

Our donation to pancreatic cancer research is $76 - a team effort between Dr Toothbrush & me. I said Lamentations for Thursday's FJ (have never heard the term Jeremiahed, but I'm pretty sure the Book of Lamentations has been attributed to Jeremiah) Friday's FJ was an instaget for us both.    

Another contestant that I think should have made the ToC before Emma is Jackie (from the Runaways - can't remember her last name). Not sure of $$ winnings, but she won 4 games to Emma's 3. And I agree that the 2nd place winner of the Teachers' Tournament should have been invited to participate. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Finally got to watch the final 2 games of the ToC. After making it 13 years as parents with no kiddos breaking bones, one of the pre-teen queens fractured her humerus. Of course it's her dominant arm, but she hasn't been in too much pain & it doesn't seem like surgery will  be needed, and she has a purple sling that she & her sister decorated with glitter glue. Glitter glue makes everything better when you're a 10-year old girl. I was spoiled that James won, but was glad to finally be able to sit & watch at 11:30 Sunday night. Too late for wine, so I settled for a Reese's Christmas tree.

Our donation to pancreatic cancer research is $76 - a team effort between Dr Toothbrush & me. I said Lamentations for Thursday's FJ (have never heard the term Jeremiahed, but I'm pretty sure the Book of Lamentations has been attributed to Jeremiah) Friday's FJ was an instaget for us both.    

Another contestant that I think should have made the ToC before Emma is Jackie (from the Runaways - can't remember her last name). Not sure of $$ winnings, but she won 4 games to Emma's 3. And I agree that the 2nd place winner of the Teachers' Tournament should have been invited to participate. 

I want to agree with you on so many points, except, perhaps, that 11:30 is too late for wine. I've known certain hours to be too early... never too late!

Congrats on your donation! I totally forgot to count my correct questions. I always stop counting when I run out of fingers and toes.

100% agreement on Jackie - esp considering her last day involved a health issue and could be argued that it affected her performance.

p.s. hope the mini-Toothbrush heals quickly. Your post brought back memories of my daughters when they were still adorable younguns... and glitter - the herpes of the craft world.

• Love 3

I can understand the complaints with having a three-game winner at the ToC, but it sure was fun to see James and Emma take each other on again. And she really does seem to be his kryptonite, she's now beaten him twice in three head-to-head matches. Quite impressive when considering the number of contestants James has left in the dust during his many wins.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Too late for wine, so I settled for a Reese's Christmas tree.

I don't know what a Reese's Christmas tree is, but I imagine it as a stack of R Peanut Butter Cups, six on the bottom, five on top of that, four on top of that and so forth. Haven't figured out what the tree topper would be though. Yeah, I could eat one of those.

I hope your youngster heals quickly. Kids seem to do that, and glitter and Reese's can speed healing along nicely.

• LOL 1

LOL on the "all proceeds go to a sport coat or necktie" for James. I kinda love that James doesn't wear suiting. Why would he? He lives in casual Vegas and gambles at home for his job. That's so something Ken would call out. I've never followed him on social media but from the tweets posted here, he seems very funny. More funny than I would expect.

I enjoyed the tournament! Then again, i like James. I was hoping for a better showing from Francois because I really liked him, too! I assume he simply wasn't fast enough on the buzzer. Among 3 highly qualified contestants, that will make the difference.

ETA: To be clear, Francois earned his spot and it's a huge accomplishment -- no shame in his game! His students should be pleased for him. And if you have to get beaten by such a margin, at least it's to an undisputedly stellar player and the person who beat said player.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 6
On 11/17/2019 at 8:21 AM, Trey said:

I also said livery and I thought it would be acceptable.

I said hack and I knew it was right.

On 11/17/2019 at 1:55 PM, Trey said:

I don't. I think James beats either of them handily in their prime.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

James Dean is coming back from the dead to star in a new movie?

No, they're using stock footage and some kind of technology to make a new movie with him in it. It's quite controversial.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:38 PM, saber5055 said:

I don't know what a Reese's Christmas tree is, but I imagine it as a stack of R Peanut Butter Cups, six on the bottom, five on top of that, four on top of that and so forth. Haven't figured out what the tree topper would be though. Yeah, I could eat one of those.

I hope your youngster heals quickly. Kids seem to do that, and glitter and Reese's can speed healing along nicely.

There are Reese's that are shaped like trees this time of year, maybe that's what they are talking about.

Anyhow, I just read that they are going to have Ken, James and Brent compete in January. I'm looking forward to this. However, the thought just accrued to me that this maybe when Alex announces he's retiring due to his health :(. It does seem like it would be a finale in away as it's the best of the best and they are airing it on prime-time TV.  Of course if it is one of his last episodes it's a good send off.

Edited by blueray

I'm giving this TOC thread a bump. In the run up to this year's TOC, I've seen posts anticipating it in the S38 thread, in the Media thread and elsewhere. It would be nice to have all TOC info, discussion and speculation in one place. This had fallen so far down on the main J! page, I think people may have forgotten that we have a dedicated TOC thread, even though it hasn't been used in close to three years.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I've seen comments on other Jeopardy! threads about how some people really don't like the setup of this year's TOC - to the point of not planning to watch.  I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention.  Can someone help me out and explain what's different this year/why it's generating those reactions?  I understand there are those who don't care for who's hosting, but it seems to go beyond that.

I realize now that I was partially confusing the upcoming TOC with Celebrity Jeopardy, but the basic question still stands.

Edited by SoMuchTV
updating after further research
48 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've seen comments on other Jeopardy! threads about how some people really don't like the setup of this year's TOC - to the point of not planning to watch.  I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention.  Can someone help me out and explain what's different this year/why it's generating those reactions?

The old structure was to start with 15 players. The winners of the 5 games plus the wild card next 4 highest $ scorers advance to the semi final. The 3 winners of the semi final advance to the final which was based on the aggregate score of 2 games.

The new structure is set up so that there is no wild card -- the 3 super champions (Matt, Amy, Mattea) don't play in the first round. 18 other players do and the 6 winners of those matches plus the 3 seeded superchamps advance to the semifinals. 3 winners advance. The final is played like the GOAT tournament, first player to win 3 games.

Since there are no wild cards and the final is based on actually coming in 1st and not aggregate dollar value, that changes the strategy. 

I can't comment on the reactions. Personally I'm interested to see how it plays out.

• Like 1
  • Useful 6

There's no one I'm rooting against in this ToC -- at least as far as I remember.  I may get a glimpse of someone and remember I didn't like them, but I'm usually pretty neutral contestants and then have some I really enjoy.

Amy is my favorite of the mega champs, but I quite like Mattea as well.  (I have no problem with Matt, he's just third in my personal ranking of those three.)

Hopefully there isn't some "Oh yeah, I couldn't stand her/him/them" reminder; I like when I have a rooting interest but mostly just care about a great competition and will be happy for whoever comes out on top.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I like everyone lately. Something must be wrong with me. I am going to be both happy and heartbroken during the TOC.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

There's no one I'm rooting against in this ToC -- at least as far as I remember.  I may get a glimpse of someone and remember I didn't like them, but I'm usually pretty neutral contestants and then have some I really enjoy.

Amy is my favorite of the mega champs, but I quite like Mattea as well.  (I have no problem with Matt, he's just third in my personal ranking of those three.)

Hopefully there isn't some "Oh yeah, I couldn't stand her/him/them" reminder; I like when I have a rooting interest but mostly just care about a great competition and will be happy for whoever comes out on top.

It doesn't seem to be a popular opinion, but I really like Amy and Mattea and I wouldn't mind if Rowan joined them as the last three standing. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

I dragged this over from the other thread because it's so spot-on, LOL:

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Then again, if they went to the one with Matt and won, and Amy and Mattea both won their semi-final games, we'd have Amy, Mattea, and Rowan in the finals.  Imagine all the folks who wouldn't know how to distribute their vitriol among those three.  The only way that could get better would be if Mayim was hosting.

Actually, Rowan's exuberance gets dialed down a notch when they're not buzz-sawing through the game, as seen in the last game against Jack. 
Mattea is pretty calm, but talks things through (I'm "guilty" of that myself) so I can imagine Mattea winning the internet for being Most Annoying if she's up against Rowan. 
But if Mayim is hosting, Mattea will have some stiff competition for the Tiara Of Most Annoying. 
I may just claim it for myself.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 9

I like many of the returning champions and while it's likely that one of the mega champions will win, I'm rooting for an underdog, Zach Newkirk. I liked him right from the beginning and he definitely qualifies for the oddest championship journey, with Covid lockdowns pausing his run at four consecutive wins, then travel restrictions postponing his return to the show for his additional wins. Zach is my favorite, even though he's a long shot.

Of those more likely, I'm pulling for Ryan.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I like many of the returning champions and while it's likely that one of the mega champions will win, I'm rooting for an underdog, Zach Newkirk. I liked him right from the beginning and he definitely qualifies for the oddest championship journey, with Covid lockdowns pausing his run at four consecutive wins, then travel restrictions postponing his return to the show for his additional wins. Zach is my favorite, even though he's a long shot.

Of those more likely, I'm pulling for Ryan.

I would love it if either of them won. Much as I love Matt and Amy, I'd like someone less predictable to win it all.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I like Zach too and, of course, hope he does well. But then, I hope all players do well, there is no one I dislike. Seems it will be a challenge of the buzzers, I'm guessing all will know the answers but the win will go to the fastest thumb. I have no clue who that will be, but will be happy for whomever gets the win. It should be some great tv.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

I'm guessing all will know the answers but the win will go to the fastest thumb. I have no clue who that will be,

Rowan will be a force to contend with on that front; they're fast on the buzzer, and will be the one with the freshest buzzer experience.

• Like 6

I don’t remember Zach. I just looked him up and his last game was in February 2021?? Shouldn’t he have played in last year’s tournament? Or was there no Tournament last year because of Covid? I honestly can’t remember. My brain is mush.

Of the people I do remember, I’m rooting for Ryan.

• Like 2