Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

"Dur" distracted me so much that all I could think of was Durham, which obviously was not anywhere near what they were going for.  My brain couldn't make the leap to "Zur".  Oh well.  

3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My ego will be glad when we get back to regular games.

Ditto.  The only TS I got was keytar.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

"Dur" distracted me so much that all I could think of was Durham, which obviously was not anywhere near what they were going for.  My brain couldn't make the leap to "Zur".  Oh well.  

Thanks to a long ago brief stint collecting stamps I knew it was Switzerland and then my brain blanked while trying to remember cities there, it finally popped Bern out but I didn't think it was that, did very poorly today.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I instantly said Turin, then remembered it's "Torino" in Italian (thanks Olympics!), and... had nothing else so I stuck with it. 

Very exciting game with the daily doubles! I love watching that kind of bold play, so I'm glad he's moving on. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I got FJ.  So proud of myself.

I got the msised clues of Prada (after Versace) and Idle/idol.

I got the entire category of homophones right.  

Edited by Katy M
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

I'm liking how difficult the clues are.  That's the best thing about the TOC.  It's like heightened Jeopardy - better than usual contestants and tougher than usual clues.

The category Triple Rhyme Time shows me how I could never compete with these contestants.  My brain was going too slow to figure them out in a few seconds.

Edited by Roaster
typo
  • Like 2
  • Love 8

I don't remember Eric at all.  I was rooting for Jackie, but mad props for his back-to-back true DD wagers in DJ; after that, I knew I couldn't be disappointed if he won. (He wound up with the lowest Coryat score of the three, but those DDs and FJ sealed the deal.)

This was another one of those odd games where I did better - and, in fact, far better - in DJ.  In the first round, I only ran homophones.  I got all but one in directions, but missed three in fashion and two each in the rest.  But in DJ, I ran three categories, got all but one in two more, and only missed two in the other.

I loved the rhyme time category, as I always do, but that was one where I couldn't quite run it -- I was thinking monks instead of friars in the clue about Franciscans, so never got close on that one.  I am now going to make up a witty kitty ditty to sing to my cat (much to her consternation, as I can't carry a tune with a forklift).

FJ was not an instaget, but it came to me quickly.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I loved the rhyme time category, as I always do, but that was one where I couldn't quite run it -- I was thinking monks instead of friars in the clue about Franciscans, so never got close on that one.  I am now going to make up a witty kitty ditty to sing to my cat (much to her consternation, as I can't carry a tune with a forklift).

My mind went to monks, too. Witty kitty ditty was the only one I got and that was barely in time. I basically said it along with Jackie.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My mind went to monks, too. Witty kitty ditty was the only one I got and that was barely in time. I basically said it along with Jackie.

I came up with quicker vicar kicker. In the Broadway category it says more about me than the contestants that I was surprised no one knew Hadestown.

I was rooting hard for Jackie but Eric getting those two Daily Doubles and FJ made the difference for him. I couldn't think of any Swiss cities other than Geneva so I cheated and looked up other city names and picked Zurich out that way.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Thanks to a long ago brief stint collecting stamps I knew it was Switzerland and then my brain blanked while trying to remember cities there, it finally popped Bern out but I didn't think it was that, did very poorly today.

I also had quite a brain fart on remembering Swiss cities. Bern was the first that came to mind and so that is what I went with. I don't know that I would have necessarily known it was Zurich over Bern, though.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

My mistake was sticking with the D and trying various vowel substitutions: Dor-, -dor, Dar-, -dar… I should have swapped out the R for an H. Because duh.

I liked both Eric and Jackie in their original runs. (Didn’t watch the college tournament, so no allegiance to Jaskaran, even though he lives close to me.) I would have been fine with either winning, although Eric won my heart with his crazy brave first True DD. The second scared me a bit, because it seemed reckless, but good for him for pulling it out.

I feel lucky that I watch J! on a non-network, independent station. No fear of election preemptions here. The only thing they might break in for is a slow speed car chase.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I'm Swiss and still got it wrong. I initially said Zurich, then corrected it to Lucern since that's the closest city to where modern-day Switzerland was founded and also sits on a lake. Blatant example of when knowing "too much" hurt me.

Dur indeed.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

In the Broadway category it says more about me than the contestants that I was surprised no one knew Hadestown.

I got that one because I've seen a lot of ads for it in recent months. (But I watch on the NYC station so I probably get more ads for things happening in that city. I can also watch on the Philly station, though that's probably still close enough to air ads for Broadway shows.)

10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I liked both Eric and Jackie in their original runs. (Didn’t watch the college tournament, so no allegiance to Jaskaran, even though he lives close to me.) I would have been fine with either winning, although Eric won my heart with his crazy brave first True DD. The second scared me a bit, because it seemed reckless, but good for him for pulling it out.

I watched the College Championship and really liked Jaskaran; I was rooting for him in the end. Kind of weird to see him in a suit since I had only seen him in an orange college sweatshirt (University of Texas). I was kind of torn between him and Eric last night, but I like Jackie, too, so I would have been happy with any of them moving on.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I watched the College Championship and really liked Jaskaran; I was rooting for him in the end.

The College Championship was Too Much Jeopardy for me to keep up with so I missed Jaskaran there. I really liked him here as well and would have been happy to see him advance.

1 minute ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wow what a gutsy and exciting move.  Back to back literal daily doubles. I don't recall that ever happening. 

I'm confused on this tourney.  Just the winners advance?  No others based on scores?

That's correct. No wild cards. Six winners of the six quarter final matches proceed to 3 semi final matches where they face Matt or Amy or Mattea.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

The College Championship was Too Much Jeopardy for me to keep up with so I missed Jaskaran there. I really liked him here as well and would have been happy to see him advance.

That's correct. No wild cards. Six winners of the six quarter final matches proceed to 3 semi final matches where they face Matt or Amy or Mattea.

Thanks.  They probably said this in one of the parts I fast forwarded though

14 hours ago, Roaster said:

The category Triple Rhyme Time shows me how I could never compete with these contestants.  My brain was going too slow to figure them out in a few seconds.

I can barely figure out double rhyme times - and in fact in Triple Rhyme Time I generally only came up with two of the words. Sigh...

I remembered Erik once I saw him, and remembered I really liked him. Those double bets were scary, but he pulled it off, so YAY.

I think I got a few more of the clues in this game, but not many. Got Mozart..I'd just visited the Salzburg Cathedral (lovely and ancient in some areas). Got a few in OED (Robinson Crusoe was a snap), but it was a weird category.

Sadly, I ran through all the country capitals I could (which being a geographic idiot weren't that many) and kept looking for "Dur" names. So no joy.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

It also seems to me that $5,000 is a paltry amount to come back for if you don't win.  Not even $10,000 for 2nd place.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Thanks.  They probably said this in one of the parts I fast forwarded though

I've found the on-air explanation to be lacking. It almost seems like you have to follow Jeopardy discussion online to understand the current format.

1 minute ago, SierraMist said:

It also seems to me that $5,000 is a paltry amount to come back for if you don't win.  Not even $10,000 for 2nd place.

I kind of agree, but I don't think TOC contestants have to pay for flight and hotel, so at least there's that.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

In the Broadway category it says more about me than the contestants that I was surprised no one knew Hadestown.

If it says something about you, I like the message! I absolutely love Hadestown and have seen it three times, both pre- and post-lockdown. I've made other people see it and given the OBC recording as gifts.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Wow what a gutsy and exciting move.  Back to back literal daily doubles. I don't recall that ever happening. 

Yeah, that was something! It made me wonder if Eric was in the audience for the previous game, saw John’s back-to-back DD success, and said “You think that was impressive? Watch this!”

(I know tournament contestants usually don’t get to watch other games because it could give them an an advantage in wagering for wild card status. But since that’s not a factor this time…?)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dcalley said:

I've found the on-air explanation to be lacking. It almost seems like you have to follow Jeopardy discussion online to understand the current format.

I don't recall hearing any clear explanation in the show. I know that in the 2021 TOC Buzzy started by stating that of 15 contestants 5 winners + 4 wild cards would advance to the semifinal round. At the start of the week Ken merely mentioned that they had 21 contestants without any further detail. If he clarified further I didn't catch it. Both people expecting wild cards and people trying to calculate how many contestants advance to the semifinal can reasonably be confused.

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

If it says something about you, I like the message! I absolutely love Hadestown and have seen it three times, both pre- and post-lockdown. I've made other people see it and given the OBC recording as gifts.

Don't give me too much credit! I have actually never seen or listened to Hadestown but following news of other musicals I have run into enough chatter about it that it was obvious to me. Some people feel that way about the baseball category that simply listed player names and could immediately tell which team they had in common. I'm not sure I even recognized any of the names in that category. (My current stance is that I have inadvertently memorized Vladimir Guerrero Jr and I am not trying to go any further, although apparently the name Bo Bichette is stuck in my head now too.)

• Like 3
On 11/5/2022 at 9:40 AM, SomeTameGazelle said:

Yeah, I got a half hour break between the regular game and the primetime game. An hour and a half of J! four nights a week for two weeks...it did get to be a bit much.

This is why I'm glad Celebrity Jeopardy is only on Sundays.

21 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Sadly, I ran through all the country capitals I could (which being a geographic idiot weren't that many) and kept looking for "Dur" names. So no joy.

"Dur" made my mind go to Darfur which I knew from "Helvetian" in the clue was in the entirely wrong part of the world, and is also a region, not a city. Then I started thinking Greece and thought no, that's Hellenic, not Helvetian. Then my time was up.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"Dur" made my mind go to Darfur which I knew from "Helvetian" in the clue was in the entirely wrong part of the world, and is also a region, not a city.

And I went straight to Honduras, which made me realize that leaving FJ blank was better than writing that as my answer. But hey, it borders lots of water!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

The category was World Cities, not capitals.

Well then, I made it twice as hard for myself, didn't I? 🤣 The results were the same (and would have been even if I had parsed the clue correctly.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

No game in Chicago today?

There was a game, at its usual time. 

In fact, Ken mentioned how the semi-finals would begin Wednesday and that tomorrow was a special exhibition match between Matt, Amy, and Mattea. He said that it was so the three of them could have a warm-up/rehearsal before the TOC continued.

67% / 43% / 54%

I actually didn't do horrendously in the first round! Ran D in Science, missed one in Dance and Get a Handle on It, two Valleys, and three each in the others. DJ was much more in line with my TOC performance so far…missed one VP, two Symbols, three Novels and Names, and four in the others. Did not get FJ.

Got the missed DD of deoxyribose but that's it.

I laughed at Ken asking if Sam wanted to demonstrate the Floss and Vogue.

I like Sam a lot but I was perfectly fine with anyone winning tonight. Sorry Jessica didn't get to play FJ.

5 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Jessica’s sweater=really gorgeous. 

Agreed.

9 minutes ago, illdoc said:

In fact, Ken mentioned how the semi-finals would begin Wednesday and that tomorrow was a special exhibition match between Matt, Amy, and Mattea. He said that it was so the three of them could have a warm-up/rehearsal before the TOC continued.

I'm just hoping I get home in time (gotta go vote after work) and election coverage doesn't preempt it.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

After the answer was reveled, I was like, yeah, of course, but I had no clue before tht point.

I got the missed clues of Death Comes for the archbishop and impressionist.

I think the questions tomorow are going to be super duper hard.

• Love 1

I certainly should have gotten FJ.  So obvious once the response was revealed!  But I couldn't think of anything before that.  No joy in my house tonight!

I did get deoxyribose and Mace Windu, though, so there's that.

Sam was on fire!  I'm glad he won, but I would have been glad for any of them to win.  It always makes me sad, though, when someone doesn't get to play FJ.

4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

It just dawned on me who Sam reminds me of...Steve Martin, when he wears his glasses🤓.  

I agree!

• Like 5
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

It just dawned on me who Sam reminds me of...Steve Martin, when he wears his glasses🤓.  

Yes, definitely.

Instaget FJ today, so at least this week will be better than last!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

I was rooting for Jessica just because of familiarity - I could barely remember the other two - so ouch.

I ran TV and handles, got all but one in valleys and science, and missed two in dance and three in alphabet, so a decent enough first round in the ToC.

Not so much in DJ.  I didn't run anything.  I got all but one in Veeps and words and missed two in symbols, but I missed three in Brits, and four each in names and novels.

FJ was an instaget, at least.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PaulaO said:

No game in Chicago today?

Today's game didn't record for me either in and I'm in Austin.

I checked my dvr settings for Jeopardy and it was not registering any new games at all this week; so I adjusted the settings to include reruns and new...since I don't want to miss the exhibition between the big 3.

8 hours ago, CAM said:

I checked my dvr settings for Jeopardy and it was not registering any new games at all this week; so I adjusted the settings to include reruns and new...since I don't want to miss the exhibition between the big 3.

Same thing happened to me.  No games scheduled on the DVR.  I quickly remedied that!

I was rooting for Zach, felt badly for Jessica and was okay with Sam winning.  Jessica seemed to take her loss pretty well.

I did not get a single ts but FJ was an instaget.  As I told the cats, if it wasn't the Sword of Damocles then I had nothing.

I am looking forward to tonight's match-up with Amy, Matt, and Mattea.  Will be rooting for Mattea.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Trey said:

I was rooting for Zach, felt badly for Jessica and was okay with Sam winning.  Jessica seemed to take her loss pretty well.

Lilly, @oneeclecticmom on Twitter, she does 'fashion recaps' on the contestants and Ken/Mayim (she never says anything bad, it just started as a fun thing she did and grew, she is acknowledged by contestants and the show itself) was at the ToC tapings (I believe someone from the show paid her way) and is writing recaps. This one discusses Jessica and has an interview with her that discusses failure.

https://oneeclecticmom.substack.com/p/tournament-of-champions-game-6-recap

• Like 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

We've been saying that since we first saw him on Jeopardy - which is how we recognized him. I'm really bad at recognizing people - I recognized Sam and Zack, but not Jessica 'doh!

Terrible on the board, but I did get FJ, so - better than expected.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, CAM said:

Same!  I wonder what happened? i just realized yesterday that my episode was not recording, and then checked and none were scheduled for this week! 

Is this a new format? I don't recall three people being able to sit out until the semi finals before? i don't like it, and I don't like the exhibition game either.  I hope it was taped after the other games were completed.