Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions

Athena
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No that is quite simply incorrect. John had 12000 and Matt 16800. Sam 23000.  John was correct and easily beat Matt's score with a zero bet.  If he and Sam both missed, John was right would have won.  

You're right; I misremembered John's score going in.

25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

But, he couldn't win unless Sam was wrong (unless Sam didn't bet enough), and he might figure that if Sam got it wrong, he would also get it wrong.   If Sam got it right, it didn't matter.

It might not be the bet you would have made, but I wouldn't go so far to say it made 0 sense. There was virtually no way for him to win if all 3 got it correct, so he made the bet for all 3 getting it wrong assuming that they had similar knowledge because the were all in the TOC.  And since he would have lost no matter his bet, it really doesn't matter anyway.

If all three miss he did not have to bet zero to win.  That is the point 

If he bets to beat sam or even double John's score, if they all miss he still wins assuming Sam bets to beat matt. Which he did. 

Sam bets 13601 and would go down to 9399

John bets to beat matt at least he is down below 8000 somewhere. 

Matt can bet 6201 to beat sam if correct or even 7201 to beat John if he is correct and doubles. The most he goes down to is 9599. Still wins if they all miss snd still has a chance to beat John if he is correct snd John is correct as well. 

Matt eliminated any scenario where he wins with a correct answer by he and John and a miss by sam.  And he didn't have to do that to protect against a scenario where they all miss. He still would have won then. 

11 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I have never heard of Minorca and never sussed to Majorca being “bigger,”.   I guess I truly am a geographic idiot.

Think of them as major & minor, they both have acceptable alternate spellings but this is how I remember them.

Alternates are Menorca rather than Minorca & Mallorca rather than Majorca, growing up in Wales it was Majorca & Minorca to me. 

• Like 1

I am sorry Matt lost but I'm okay with Sam winning. As already posted, "Go, old folks!"

No ts's but I did get FJ, not quite an instaget but the islands came to me fairly quickly.

Looking forward to tonight's game.  I really hope Mattea will win. I would like to see Mattea and Amy go up against each other in a real game. And I'm sure Sam will be a big part of the game.

• Love 2

I was stuck on Corsica and Sardinia (I seem to remember those as the first Mediterranean Islands we learned about in 4th grade Geography class!)  Realized it must be Mallorca and Minorca at the last moment, but wouldn't have had time to write them.

• Applause 1
8 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I was stuck on Corsica and Sardinia (I seem to remember those as the first Mediterranean Islands we learned about in 4th grade Geography class!)  Realized it must be Mallorca and Minorca at the last moment, but wouldn't have had time to write them.

I was stuck on Sicily and Sardinia. 

You were closer than me

Edited by DrSpaceman73
18 hours ago, secnarf said:

I really like all three superchamps. Mattea's hand waving does annoy me but I try very hard not to hold it against her. I also have mannerisms that are annoying to others. Amy and Matt both to me have nothing annoying about them, but I know Matt's "what's" for every response does irk some people 😉

This time around, I didn't even hear them. I asked this mister after the game was over if Matt had still said that, and he confirmed it. I guess I'm so used to it I don't even notice it.

17 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I laughed out loud at Sam's Steve Martin joke.  Handsome AND funny, just like Steve. 

I know, right!

13 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I have never heard of Minorca and never sussed to Majorca being “bigger,”.   I guess I truly am a geographic idiot.

You've got company. I had no idea either.

I love Matt, but was pulling for Sam all the way - and will continue to pull for him. Not because I don't like the champs, but because I think he deserves to be in their company. And he's funny, always a plus in my book.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 7

I definitely started in Italy with FJ, but hearing Ken's pronunciation made me question that, and then finally the "paired islands" part of the clue kicked in and got me to Mallorca/Minorca.

• Like 2

I'm pleased Sam won because I like him.  And a bit of a shakeup can add interest to a tournament.  So all good from my POV.  But now that we know we won't be getting all three "superchamps" in the finals, I look back on the way the exhibition match was approached a bit more wistfully - I would have liked to see them compete against each other firing on all cylinders, even if only as a one-off.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2022 at 7:43 PM, PBnJay said:

I was very pleased to see Arm Ozma.

Me too!  I tried to recall what the to-do was about it during Amy’s first go-round, but couldn’t quite. It seems there was something about copyright issues.  I wonder if her newfound success and celebrity garnered a go ahead from the owners.  I’m sure she has addressed Ozma being freed for us to see, but I’m unaware.  Anybody…?

• Like 2

And another one bites the dust! So far in the 9 games played in this TOC (not including the exhibition), the player in the first ("champion") podium, presumably the best of that group of three, has lost in all but 2 cases---Amy and Eric (who lost today).

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SHD said:

Bold DD betting pays off. Nice to see some big risk taking.

Definitely not the final three I would’ve predicted!

Me either.

I am having a hard time dealing with Mattea's loss. I was so sure she would win.  Can't say she really crashed and burned but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

Well I will be rooting for Amy next week but the finalists are all certainly worthy of being champion.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

IMO, pretty funny how the Top 3 advanced just based on their prior wins, then 2 of them aren't even making it to the finals. Kinda makes me wonder if they had played it straight and made everyone equal to begin with, how that would have affected who made it to the final 3. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 11

I kept telling Mattea to stop ringing in at the end, the only chance they had was for Eric to get at least half (and a dollar) more than Andrew so it wouldn't be a runaway.

FJ was an instaget, I was very surprised none of them would guess that.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I thought the Bronte sisters question was incredibly easy, especially for a championship DD.  I figured it had to be the Bronte sisters only because I couldn't think of any other female writers who were sisters.

I was hoping the meteorologist would win, but I'm OK with Andrew winning.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7

57% / 60% / 57%

I did terribly, but Andrew made me very happy when he nailed that last DD (which I also got right). In J! I missed one each in Logos, Mandy Patinkin, and Spanish Words, but 3-4 in the others, and in DJ I missed one "P", three Religion and two in everything else. No FJ.

My only TS was emerald (but there were only four in the game, including FJ).

Boo! 

Nothing against Andrew, but I really wanted Mattea to win.

I haven't seen the game yet; I decided to check the archive to make sure she won, so I could be relaxed watching the game tonight.  Imagine my surprise, but the game dynamics graph said it all -- in a game like this, you have to go big or go home, and that's what he did with that second DD.

Amy is the one who ended Andrew's streak, so it will be interesting to see them meet again in the finals.  Go Amy!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Imagine my surprise, but the game dynamics graph said it all -- in a game like this, you have to go big or go home, and that's what he did with that second DD.

I never really look at the graph but that's crazy.

image.png.8302fb5fefb869bcc7751820f7bad19b.png

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 2

I apparently did not have 2 brain cells to rub together tonight.

I didn't get final. I did however answer, but I said Hampton court.

I got one missed clue: phylacteries.

I got the entire category of arts wrong.

I ended up losing $32,400.  Out of a possible $64K the way I keep score.  That is not good.  I don't think I've ever done quite that bad.  

• Hugs 2

I didn't get FJ, either, so at least I'm in good company.  But it was another one of those that seems obvious in hindsight, being gardens and all.

I also didn't get any TS!  Not that there were many to get, mind you.

Congrats, Andrew!  Next week should be quite interesting.  At least I hope it is!  I don't know who to root for -- I like them all. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Congrats, Andrew!  Next week should be quite interesting.  At least I hope it is!  I don't know who to root for -- I like them all. 

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna have to enjoy the games and see where they go. 

• Like 6
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I've never bought into the idea of Champs purposely losing but matt......I dont get the bet of $0.  Only way he wins there is if both the others miss FJ and there is no way he thought that was happening.  So for whatever reason yes I think he was just done with the show. 

The only way Matt was winning was if Sam got FJ wrong no matter how he bet.   No way was Matt "just done with the show".  He just didn't have the best day.

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

His betting strategy was either completely awful or he didn't want to win

There's no way that he went into the Tournament of Champions not wanting to win.  That's ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3

I did not get any FJs this week, but at least tonight I did get TSs of emerald and tefillin, and instagot David and Hush Puppies, which some of the champs got wrong.

23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Amy is the one who ended Andrew's streak, so it will be interesting to see them meet again in the finals.  Go Amy!!

Thanks for the tidbit of info, @Bastet! That does make the finals more interesting!

22 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I haven't seen the game yet; I decided to check the archive to make sure she won, so I could be relaxed watching the game tonight.

45 minutes ago, GrannySmith said:

Oh no!  Preempted tonight for Veteran’s programming. 

It's airing at 3am EST on CBS in Western NY, but I watched on YouTube by putting into the YouTube search box:
Jeopardy! Full Episode
It was a good quality video, with no missing parts in the middle.

• Like 3

Wow. Just wow. I'm so impressed by Andrew and his all in on all three DDs. The last one being in a third row made it a somewhat safer bet, but it was still gutsy and gets my respect.

I got FJ, because I couldn't think of anything else, but was vert surprised to be right. And an *! I'm feeling like I should look into a lottery ticket!

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I did not get any FJs this week, but at least tonight I did get TSs of emerald and tefillin, and instagot David and Hush Puppies, which some of the champs got wrong.

Thanks for the tidbit of info, @Bastet! That does make the finals more interesting!

It's airing at 3am EST on CBS in Western NY, but I watched on YouTube by putting into the YouTube search box:
Jeopardy! Full Episode
It was a good quality video, with no missing parts in the middle.

Thanks. I found it on YouTube, too. 

• Applause 1
3 minutes ago, Hab said:

I’m in a hotel not watching but Mattea lost? Oh happy day. I like all the finalists but being an older person, I’m rooting for Sam the Man. 

She was in 3rd place and Andrew had approximately 30K more than she did (Eric finished with a little under half Andrew's score).

• Love 1

Andrew is such a gutsy player, but man that kid gives me a heart attack with his DD wagers. A lot of people predicted he could be a dark horse, and it looks like they were right.

I'm excited for the Amy/Sam/Andrew final. I'm fine with any of them winning, I just want to see close, competitive games. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 12
57 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I haven't seen the game yet; I decided to check the archive to make sure she won, so I could be relaxed watching the game tonight.  Imagine my surprise, but the game dynamics graph said it all -- in a game like this, you have to go big or go home, and that's what he did with that second DD.

I was doomscrolling on twitter and saw a post from Mattea that started with the word "regret" which I stopped reading, assuming it was a spoiler far too early in the evening, and sat down to watch the  match with expectations lowered. Afterward I went back and read the tweet to the end only to find out it was a non-spoilery quip about the County Seat category. 

I would have liked to see Mattea in the final but Andrew did brilliantly and I am happy to see him advance. 

I knew Haworth and was shouting Bronte but I assume Andrew was considering whether there could be any other literary sisters he had to rule out before he gave his response. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Bronte but I assume Andrew was considering whether there could be any other literary sisters he had to rule out before he gave his response. 

This is something I have noticed several seasoned champs do, I think Matt and some others, they take all the time they are given to get the answer absolutely correct before the say it.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

And who was laughing in the background during Patinkin's videos? I didn't care for that. Loved his Yiddish (love Yiddish words even tho' I'm not Jewish--so descriptive!) Those big wagers shocked me but sure made this a game to remember. I enjoyed saying Bronte *just* before Andrew (with his hesitation, he kindly gave me time 🤓).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

The only way Matt was winning was if Sam got FJ wrong no matter how he bet.   No way was Matt "just done with the show".  He just didn't have the best day.

There's no way that he went into the Tournament of Champions not wanting to win.  That's ridiculous.

Then someone explain his betting strategy with $0?  It makes no sense at all as I've explained. Sure Sam had to miss but he was letting even John win with a correct answer no matter if he knew it or not.  And he did not have to bet $0 to protect against them all missing it.  

His zero dollar bet maximized the chances he was going to lose regardless of his final jeopardy answer.  Was basically the worst possible bet he could have made.  He certainly did not play to win based on that bet

So glad mattea lost

Really surprised at this one. Very gutsy again with the literal daily doubles. 

• Love 1