Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Without A Country

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Cookie and her cohorts decide to start their own small record label, but their opposing visions make for a bumpy start to the venture. Meanwhile, Hakeem woos a hot Latina singer for the girl group he wants to form; Lucious hires a new lawyer and records an epic track from inside jail; and Jamal proves to be just as ruthless as his father when making business moves.

I thought that Cookie was outstanding. She had highs and lows with her sons, but she never gave up. I think that she should let it go with Aneeka, but I cannot blame her for not wanting a woman who slept with her ex and son around. I liked Cookie and Hakeem cleaning up their Dynasty at the end. Maybe the hard work will help Hakeem grow up.

I find it hard to believe that a prison guard would mess with a man as powerful, wealthy, and dangerous as Luscious. I like the guy from The Wire who played his lawyer. Good to see him again. He is a good actor.

I taught this episode had too much music, but I liked Tiana and Luscious' songs.

I liked Rhona playing her game with Jamal. Poor Andre. His father is a bastard. So Luscious's mother was mentally ill. It explains a lot about him.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14

"Snitch, bitch" may be this season's "Drip Drop." It's horrible but it sticks in your head!

There was a LOT of back and forth though and the ending with the judge...that almost felt like a cop out. 

• Love 8

Bubbles!! Any show where I can catch some Andre Royo is alright by me.

What day is it? Is nobody going to look for Vernon at all? Do they think he's playing hide and go seek and they've forgotte who's turn it us to look for him? Wouldn't Lucious be looking for his Ace Boon to visit him in the Pokie?

• Love 9

What day is it? Is nobody going to look for Vernon at all? Do they think he's playing hide and go seek and they've forgotte who's turn it us to look for him? Wouldn't Lucious be looking for his Ace Boon to visit him in the Pokie?

From what I remember from the season premiere, Lucious believes that Vernon is the one who told the FBI about his crimes, so he wouldn't expect him to visit. 

• Love 1

This show is so ridiculous, I love it.

Ludacris was hilarious as the over-the-top, corrupt guard.  I was lmao when those guys rolled up and beat the shit out of him just to get a track.  Wasn't expecting Andre Royo to show up, "University of Guam" indeed! 

It was good to see past characters, like the exasperated owner of Ghetto Ass Studios and Tiyanna.  I don't get why she was practically nude though.

I hope Jamal gets someone on his side soon.

• Love 5

Poor Andre. I felt bad for him tonight. He tried to make a go of it w/Cookie and Hakeem's new label, but the start-up life just isn't for him. I know Rhonda's there for him, but if he doesn't have Empire to go back to, I'm not sure what he'll do. Church will not be enough for someone as driven and ambitious as he is.

Nice to see Ludacris.

Thirsty Rawlins. I'll never get tired of this show's silly names.

More Hakeem & Tiana. I like them as a team - romantic or not.

Jamal's situation is interesting. He's full-on dark side now, but he's not running anything. Lucious is still pulling the strings.

I miss Jamal and Hakeem's relationship.

The name Lyon Dynasty is growing on me.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 9

Good to see Tianna again. Her and her Rhianna-ness. 

Hustle and Flow reunion! Man, the Ludacris guard guy was a real moron. He should know better than to screw with Lucious. He is a scary man, both in power and in general. And now he has a new, scary lawyer. Played by Bubbles from The Wire! Hi Bubbles! Good to see you here. 

Poor Andre. So Luciouses mom had mental problems, and Andre reminds him of her, and that's why they have issues? That does explain a lot, actually. 

I would always put my money on Cookie. Cookie cannot be beat. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9

Were they blurring out Tiyanna's kitty boo boo during her dance scene? Some shots looked like it was and others looked normal.

I hate, hate, HATE "Snitch Bitch." OMG, we're going to hear this all season, aren't we? The music was good and Lucious was intense -- that chorus though. Ugh...

Hey, Luda! Good to see you, boo!

• Love 3

Worst. Father. Ever. Lucious doesn't hate Andre (that's nice) but can't truly embrace him either? Clearly, Terrence embraces playing people with unlikeable, even despicable qualities. And for all the loathing I felt towards him when I got the Kelly Rowland message, he did right by that jail song.

• Love 7

Im gonna guess that as a child Lucious witnessed his mom have a mental breakdown, probably prayed for his mom to get better only for it to end in tragedy. Which is probably why he has issues with god/religion and also why he has issue with Andre, he reminds him of his mother

• Love 11
Poor Andre. So Luciouses mom had mental problems, and Andrea reminds him of her, and that's why they have issues? That does explain a lot, actually.

It might be the reason why Lucious sees Andre as weak/damaged. Maybe a part of him wants Andre to stand on his own and be strong even if he has to force Andre to be instead of using what Lucious  thinks are crutches.

Edited by redfish

I tweeted something similar. Lucious has been in jail for three months, which means Vernon has been dead that long and not word one has been spoken about him. Where they think he went?

I just listened to Aisha Tyler's podcast interview with Andre Royo today but I didn't realize tonight was his premiere Empire ep. I always like seeing people from The Wire working, so I'm glad I get to see more of him here. He will ALWAYS be Bubbles to me.

Tiana's L'Eggs pantyhose catsuit was the most confusing piece of clothing I've seen in a long time. I think she's gorgeous but that outfit though ...

Resolved: "Snitch Bitch" is better than "Drip Drop" but not as good as "Whoop that Trick." Discuss.

• Love 7

How did people get the message that Lucious's mom was schizophrenic? She seemed to space out while singing"The Itsy Bitsy Spider" but otherwise didn't seem to suggest insanity to me.

What was in those pictures that caused the judge to free Lucious?

Loved the scenes with the brothers together and apart, especially Andre. He seemed headed for another breakdown, but I wonder what he'll do next week. Lucious's promise to give him anything in exchange for getting him out of some mess is intriguing.

Tiana's L'Eggs pantyhose catsuit was the most confusing piece of clothing I've seen in a long time. I think she's gorgeous but that outfit though ...

Yeah, I wasn't sure what was going with that nude bodysuit. I did not like it at all. I thought maybe it is a new fashion that I was not aware. 

• Love 6

Cookie holding a broom and not beating Hakeem with it? Progress! It's nice to see how far these two have come. Maybe Hakeem can finally get over his mother issues. The new girl in his hot tub is way younger than the last one who joined him in that tub.

Andre has two strikes against him: he's not musical and he has a mental illness, which apparently to Lucious, is worse than being gay and sleeping with a future stepmother. Or, maybe Andre resembles his mom? That flashback with Kelly Rowland was really abrupt and confusing. It's too bad Andre didn't use his police connections to find out that Vernon is the cleavage-busting prosecutor's witness for Lucious's murder trial. Does Lucious even know that Vernon betrayed him? If so, Andre might be able to score points that way.

• Love 6

The Nude Bodysuit was hideous. I'm sorry, but it really did nothing for Serayah's lovely figure and excellent skin tone, and just looked tacky. 

The Vishnitz Dynasty (I have Hasidic friends and am Jewish myself, my family was Belz Hasidic) line made me literally spit take, I can't imagine Cookie in a Hasidic neighborhood, but there are some fun story lines there. I really hope against hope they feature the Hasidic Punk Rock group, Bulletproof Stockings, or Deveykus, the Hasidic Metal rock group. No, I'm not kidding.  

I found Andre pathetic, he went back begging and he had to know Lucius would find it sickening. And now we know why. 

• Love 1

Cookie and Anika's faces when Hakeem said he was going to name the girl group "Rainbow Sensation" is everything and than Cookie proclaiming it the dumbest thing she's ever heard was just hilarious.

Poor Dre :-( Cookie and Lucious suck as parents.

Jamal I still love you but don't turn into yo daddy it ain't worth it.

And Lucious is a trip in the previews talking about getting raided by the FBI makes you an OG dude is becoming more gangsta than Cookie.

• Love 4

I find it hard to believe that a prison guard would mess with a man as powerful, wealthy, and dangerous as Luscious. 

As portrayed, the prison guard was getting off on the fact that Lucious is powerful and wealthy as he was on the outside, but in the inside he was just another inmate, allegedly. Total power trip. Plus, he thought that Prosecutor Boobsalot had his back.

The name Lyon Dynasty is growing on me.

I wish they just called it "Dynasty." It works better as a name and it is more of a nod to the soap.

I'm wondering why Andre and Rhonda are not telling anyone except Jamal that they are going to have a baby? Maybe if Lucious knew he was going to be a grandpa he'd be more on his son's side.

One theory: Rhonda isn't actually pregnant but is telling people to manipulate them. First Andre to not rat her out for killing his surrogate dad, and now Jamal to make him feel special.

Another theory: Rhonda, for all we know, might be carrying someone else's child. We saw last season that Andre tried to pimp her out. Probably wasn't the first time.

Another theory, assuming it's an actual pregnancy and Andre's the dad : Lucious has never been happy with the interracial marriage/Rhonda. Her having his grandchild probably will bring up some mixed emotions, about his age, his relationship to Andre and Rhonda, and so on.

• Love 8

Loved Lucious recording and releasing the song from prison, it did sound like a hit. Releasing it from jail would make it even bigger. 

Rhonda  seemed shady with Jamal. Was that supposed to be genuine? She's always manipulating and out doing something that when Lucious refuses to give into what she wants I'm glad he doesn't fall for it, but I do feel for Andre. He was an idiot though for even behaving and going off on the plan like he did just because he didn't get Empire. He was willing to be partners with Cookie and Hakeem, but not stay on at Empire and stay COO? Stupid. 

I don't know how Andre had the patience to deal with working with Cookie or Hakeem for the short period he did. Especially Cookie when she doesn't listen at all. She doesn't seem like she could listen to advice of others or shut up enough to actually succeed to create a major company. 

Andre has two strikes against him: he's not musical and he has a mental illness,

Strike three, he married Rhonda. He's out! 

• Love 3

"Rainbow Sensation" might have been one of the best dumb idea that ever came from Hakeem's mind.  I just love how proud he was over the entire idea, and how pretty much everyone else was like "Really, man?"  He really is such a doofus, but I love him for it.

Of all the big names that are appearing this season, of course, it's Andre Royo that got me the most excited.  His performance as Bubbles on The Wire was one of the greatest (probably my second favorite character, only behind Omar), and he was a blast here. While the resolution was a bit too quick and obvious (the old "judge has a weird fetish" thing), I loved he already got Lucious sprung, and I hope he keeps playing a part in whatever the hell Lucious will try next.

I totally didn't spot Ludacris' name in the credits (was he's going by his real name, instead?), so when he popped up, I started cracking up.  To his credit though, I do find him enjoyable (he brings good humor to the Fast & Furious franchise), so I enjoyed him here, even though it was obvious that he was going to get his ass handed to him.  But I enjoyed watching him and Terrence Howard play off one another, since they were not only in Hustle & Flow together, but in Crash as well.

Felt bad for Andre, but he really needs to accept that, with someone like Lucious, apologizing and begging for forgiveness, those are signs of weaknesses.  On the other hand, dangling someone off a balcony, will earn his respect enough that he'll even look past his hatred for sexual orientation, to make you the boss.  I hope he wises up on this and gets back into the game.  The Jamal/Rhonda scene was interesting since those two rarely interact.  I did get the sense that Rhonda was trying to play him.

That said, as much as I love Cookie, I do hope she is prepared for everything that will be thrown at her and Hakeem, and get ready for war.  The whole "upstart taking on the big, bad Empire" makes for a good story, but it ain't as easy as it looks, especially when someone like Lucious is the Emperor.  And while I don't think they ever should be friends, Cookie really needs to just accept that Anika does have qualities that can help them, and don't automatically go for the throat every time they meet. 

So, I see Tiana is still here and doing her thing.

A lot of music in this one.  I found a lot of it catchy, and it was especially fun to see Lucious bust one out again.  The song itself was silly, but I do think Terrence Howard brings a raw emotion and swagger to his performance, that I think works for Lucious.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

Andre needs to have more scenes...NOT just cause he's finer than a mug (I need to give his stylist a hug cause bless him in those TIGHT clothes) but because his character is the most interesting and complex outside of Lucious and Cookie. Plus the man can act. 

This episode dragged but I was LMAO at 'Hustle N' Flow: Prison Edition' going on with that prison studio. And then they had the white dude from 'Glitter', then Terrence's facial expressions...that was some MESS! And then Luda gettin' all mad cause "Snitch Bitch" was poppin' off better than some of his own material...I was in tears during that scene.

Also what in Leggs Support Hoes Hell was that little Tiana girl wearing? I looked up too quick from my meal and thought this girl was butt naked from the waist down and was like "HALE NO!". She is really trying to be seen.

• Love 19

Damn man, I was really looking forward to this week's episode since I've had a shit week and needed the distraction, and instead I got the most boring episode ever. Blah. Even Cookie really didn't hold my attention tonight. I always love her telling off Boo Boo Kitty so that was awesome, even though I agree that Anika brings a lot to the table. 

Terrance Howard is hot mess, but damn if I wasn't LMAO at the "Snitch Bitch" recording session. The facial expression alone had me rolling.

I've always found Ludacris annoying and a terrible actor, so that may have colored my opinion of tonight's episode as well. Loved seeing him getting his ass kicked.

Hopefully next week will be better.

• Love 3

Ludacris did a great job.  Andre Royo was wonderful as black Saul!  Happy to see Kelly Rowland, especially in an episode where they are discussing bringing together a new Destiny's Child.

So very sad for Andre -- he isn't my favorite but I could really feel his pain. I also don't think he is going to react well to the idea of having a grandchild of Andre's and Rhonda (who he hates)

I want to see how Andre is going to act out, because its coming.

Didn't like Cookie's pant suit at all :(

The thing with the judge was obvious, but you knew Lucius was going to get out at some point.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 3

As portrayed, the prison guard was getting off on the fact that Lucious is powerful and wealthy as he was on the outside, but in the inside he was just another inmate, allegedly. Total power trip. Plus, he thought that Prosecutor Boobsalot had his back.

I wish they just called it "Dynasty." It works better as a name and it is more of a nod to the soap.

One theory: Rhonda isn't actually pregnant but is telling people to manipulate them. First Andre to not rat her out for killing his surrogate dad, and now Jamal to make him feel special.

Another theory: Rhonda, for all we know, might be carrying someone else's child. We saw last season that Andre tried to pimp her out. Probably wasn't the first time.

Another theory, assuming it's an actual pregnancy and Andre's the dad : Lucious has never been happy with the interracial marriage/Rhonda. Her having his grandchild probably will bring up some mixed emotions, about his age, his relationship to Andre and Rhonda, and so on.

This is the theory I'm operating under.  And I think its going to make Andre act out and go all nuclear on everyone.

I think Dynasty is much much better, maybe there is some trademark, copyright issue.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what was going with that nude bodysuit. I did not like it at all. I thought maybe it is a new fashion that I was not aware. 

I hope not, myself, and about 90% of America would look awful in that.

The best thing about this show was the pimptastic lawyer.  I assume Lucious's high priced lawyers didn't think he would get bail so it wasn't worth pushing for it.  They probably think Vernon is in a Federal safehouse or something.  It is odd that they are not trying to find more about that and why he hasn't been brought before a grand jury yet.

I think Andre probably send Rhonda to talk to Jamal.  He clearly can't stand Cookie and Hakeem and Cookie's ghetto fabulous offices are not his style and are a major drop in status.

I give Hakeem props for walking away when Jamal tried to threaten him.  Without Lucious to back him up Jamal isn't very intimidating

I like Anika because she is the anti-Cookie.  They need that balance.  Her yellow dress was gorgeous.

Edited by Autumn
  • Love 1

"You still believe in God? Still praying? Well, you pray to God to forgive you because I don't." LOL

This was better--focused on the story, less stunt-casting and spectacle. Luda was good but kept to a minimum thankfully.

• Love 2

Last year Jamal was my favorite Lyon brother, this year it's Hakeem. "Rainbow Sensation" lol.

I really feel for Andre. And I wonder if Rhonda is actually pregnant.

I like that they're keeping Annika around and making her a real character instead of just writing her off as a two-bit villaim and forgetting about her. Especially since she was Cookie's nemesis; that kind of thing stops Cookie from being...too much. Well, she's already too much. But you know what I mean.

Good use of guest stars again!

• Love 1

When Hakeem said he wanted to create a girl group and call it Rainbow Sensation I was like "Child, you stupid, that name is terrible." And then when Cookie AND Anika were like "That's the dumbest name I ever heard/that's a terrible name," I was like "VINDICATION." I would like to see Anika and Cookie come together, because Anika really does have a lot of pull and would be useful to them. Sometimes more refined is the way to go, and she'd have a ton of connections from her A&R days at Empire.

Where was Porsha? Why didn't Cookie have her sweeping?

• Love 3

Great episode.  But any show is great when someone from The Wire guest stars.  

Cookie really should let it go when it comes to Anika.  Her resentments could get her in trouble.  

I love this show, it's like a novella.  

• Love 2

I thought that Cookie was outstanding. She had highs and lows with her sons, but she never gave up. I think that she should let it go with Aneeka, but I cannot blame her for not wanting a woman who slept with her ex and son around. I liked Cookie and Hakeem cleaning up their Dynasty at the end. Maybe the hard work will help Hakeem grow up.

I find it hard to believe that a prison guard would mess with a man as powerful, wealthy, and dangerous as Luscious. I like the guy from The Wire who played his lawyer. Good to see him again. He is a good actor.

I taught this episode had too much music, but I liked Tiana and Luscious' songs.

I liked Rhona playing her game with Jamal. Poor Andre. His father is a bastard. So Luscious's mother was mentally ill. It explains a lot about him.

Don't forget, Booboo Kitty sold Lucious/Empire out to Moretti last season. So she cannot be trusted.

I thought the prison guard was going to be killed by the end of the episode.....

• Love 2

I liked this one. I'm not getting too invested in the Lyon Dynasty plot because I'm betting Cookie, Andre, Hakeem and Anika will all actually be back at Empire sooner than later in some capacity but it's amusing enough though.

Jamal really is isolating himself from the rest of his family though with each episode which is sad to watch.

Hakeem's an idiot for leaking his album but his attempts of trying to form a girlband were amusing enough.

Lucious had some of the best moments of the episode - his scenes with Jamal/Andre, flashbacks to his mother, the recording session and of course, getting bail.

Snitch Bitch is a new favourite, 8/10

• Love 4

So Kelly Rowland is Luscious's schizophrenic mother?  This is the reason that he could never embrace Andre?

Thank you. Admittedly, I was half-watching while working, but I was very confused. I thought they decided to make Kelly Rowland young Cookie and change the young Andre actor. And was like, That kid looks nothing like Andre! (Yes, I'm an idiot.)

The actor playing Andre, he really sold his desperation to his mother and father. It's heart wrenching to see him to unload his fears and vulnerabilities to each parent and their reactions.

Agreed. He is a great actor and an interesting character. He plays subtlety, which not many actors on this show do.

Ludacris did a great job.  Andre Royo was wonderful as black Saul! 

Didn't like Cookie's pant suit at all :(

Love the term "Black Saul!" Yes!

Cookie's pants suit reminded me of Peggy Olson's famous pants suit.

Don't forget, Booboo Kitty sold Lucious/Empire out to Moretti last season. So she cannot be trusted.

No one on this show can be trusted!

Edited by lovinbob
  • Love 4

At the end of the season montage on the season finale, we saw Rhonda and Andre having an ultrasound. So unless Rhonda has paid off her doctor she is definitely pregnant.

Also Vernon has been mentioned.  Tyra Ferrell's prosecutor mentioned him when she met with Luscious last episode.  She knows he is missing and is looking for him and Luscious knows that Vernon is the one who ratted him out.  I'm assuming that Luscious thinks that Vernon is hiding from everyone.  Another poster mentioned this last week that Andre should tell Luscious that he killed Vernon as a way to get back into Luscious good graces.

• Love 4

I am so glad this Show is back!

I can't help feeling so sorry for Andre when Lucius rejected him like that.  Andre is the most skilled at business of all the brothers and the most smartest in help running the company and yet Lucius doesn't like him.  After seeing the flashback to Lucius' past, I kind of understand why Lucius is like that to his oldest son.  It must've been hard growing up with a mentally ill mom, as loving as this mom might be.  But shit, that is still so unfair to Andre! 

I like how ballsy Hakeem is and I like his ambition.  He'll go far, but he still needs to grow up and make better judgments. 

I love seeing Tiana back!  What a beautiful girl!  And what the heck was she wearing while singing and dancing with her back-up dancers?  It looked like a very small top and a teeny bikini underwear with nude stockings.  What a nice body!

Jamal may seem to be running the company, but we all know that it's daddy Lucius that's really running behind the scenes. 

Love the scenes of Lucius in jail.  Man, he just took over the Cannibal's crew and made them his own musical band!  Love it!  I also enjoyed Lucius rapping with his prison musical group.  I'd like to see more of Terrence Howard singing on this show.  I think he sings just fine.

• Love 2

Count me as one who thinks that Andre isn't Rhonda's baby's father.  I think it's the old white dude she slept with.

I loved seeing Andre Royo.  He will always be Bubbles to me, and I hope ( think) this will not be a one off appearance for him.

For me, the biggest  laugh out moment was seeing Lucious and his Prison band lay down the Snitch Bitch track.  Dude on the keyboard was jamming.  All it needed was one of the guys in orange shaking a tambourine....

Oh, Empire, thank you for letting me check out my brain for an hour.

Edited by Febgirl
  • Love 3

That flashback with Kelly Rowland was really abrupt and confusing.

It was very confusing for me, too. I had already forgotten what Luscious' real name was, and apparently he was biracial as a child.

• Love 5

Count me as one who thinks that Andre isn't Rhonda's baby's father.  I think it's the old white dude she slept with.

She didn't sleep with him. She puked in her plate before he got the chance. That's why the female member of the board voted against Andre, his wife didn't seal the deal.

• Love 5

No one on this show can be trusted!

I have to say that so far both Jamal and Cookie are basically trustworthy. At least in the sense of "Don't start none, won't be none." Cookie will cut a bitch, but she'll stab you in the face, not the back. And of course, discounting the occasional drug sale or snitch or murder. And as the Lee Daniels proxy, Jamal has so far been on the side of everything righteous, minus the occasional dangling of someone over a railing.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 4

Were they blurring out Tiyanna's kitty boo boo during her dance scene? Some shots looked like it was and others looked normal.

So I wasn't the only one who noticed that. Sometimes it was blurred ala Survivor and sometimes it wasn't. That was strange.