Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Considering he reportedly was taking a photo during the last play of the game, I think he has a lot of explaining to do.  It is pretty sad that they had to put in the backup QB for the last play of the game.

Only two late games?  Nice scheduling NFL.

I'll give him a pass, he thought the game was over.  Keenum took a knee for the last ply.

Rudolph stinks today and is benched.  And who do they play next week?  Cleveland, you say?  Hmm . . . 

Haskins - not exactly the attention to detail you want from your QB.  "I thought the game was over" is his excuse.  Does he not have the ability to read a clock?  At least he stayed on the field.  I remember instances when Dez Bryant and Randy Moss headed to the locker room before the clock hit zero.  Of course those happened during losses.  I hope Haskins has apologized to his teammates and the coaching staff.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

17-37 190 yds 1TD. That's Brady's line today. Max Kellerman took a lot of crap over his Brady "cliff" take, but we might be there.

Not a Brady fan or Brady apologist, but damn, the weather was shitty.  Makes it really hard to throw or catch.

Oh, and fuck Dall-ass.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 3

With Dorsett and Sanu out, aside from Edelman and 38 year old Ben Watson, the other WRs and TEs playing today for the Pats had a total of 50 career catches.

If they can get Dorsett and Sanu back, and Cannon back at right tackle (he was ill today and didn't play much), I'd say the Pats would have around the #8-10 offense in the league. They've been poor for awhile with Wynn and Harry out. Wynn came back today and the pass protection and run blocking looked much improved. Michel had his best game in five weeks in terms of yardage. Harry will get acclimated.

The pieces are there for improvement. Not the best offense in the league, but not as bad as they've shown recently. With the defense they've been playing, that may be enough.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Calvada said:

Rudolph stinks today and is benched.  And who do they play next week?  Cleveland, you say?  Hmm . . .

That is going to be one interesting game. He's lucky to be playing at all. He should have been suspended for at least a game for instigating that fight.

• Love 6

Aikman said there are no moral victories.   he's right.   But at least the Cowboys didn't get blown out.    But damn, there is NO discipline on that team.   Penalties are what killed us.   Although that "tripping" penalty was bullshit.   Guess the center can only stand there and let the defense go around him.   

As for the LA stadium deal, Spanos brought this on himself.   The NFL was not going to have 2 stadiums built in a city that drove TWO football teams away.   It's not lilke Spanos became an owner in the last couple of years.   His dad owned the team and he was around it all his life.   He knew what the LA situation was.   But as usual, he takes everything personally and threw a hissy fit when San Diego wouldn't give him everything he wanted so he took his ball and went to LA.   With no advance planning.   That left him the only option of co-tenanting with the Rams.

The 49ers are the real deal.   Believe it.

• Love 2

Yes, thank you Niners! I will always enjoy a good Packers ass kicking. I am not a fan of theirs and since the Rams will likely not make the playoffs I would rather see the Niners win the division than the Seahawks.

• Useful 1

So the Cowboys flop against the Patriots, to the surprise of no one. The idea that people thought Dak Prescott was an MVP candidate is absurd. He and his team beat up on crappy opponents, then fold whenever they're faced with anyone good.

Speaking of which, the Patriots' offense is utter garbage at the moment. They can blame the O-line, they can blame the receivers (like Brady obviously is, given the amount of chopping and changing they've done this season) but there's only one person putting passes in the dirt more often than he's putting them in the hands of receivers.

Are the Ravens so much better than everyone else that they can hang 37 points on the Pats but no one else can even manage 20? Or is it that the Pats have an absolute joke of a schedule - the NFC East car crash as well as their usual bullying of the inept AFC East. 

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1

I love the Packers, Seahawks and Chiefs, but I will root for ANY TEAM that will beat the Patriots in the playoffs.  If its the 49ers in the Super Bowl, I will buy a Niners coffee mug if they win as I did for the Eagles when they did.  I will spend a whole $15 !!  

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Are the Ravens so much better than everyone else that they can hang 37 points on the Pats but no one else can even manage 20? Or is it that the Pats have an absolute joke of a schedule - the NFC East car crash as well as their usual bullying of the inept AFC East. 

As a Pats fan, I'll admit it's a combination of both. It isn't their fault their division is a chronic dumpster fire, but it certainly works in their favor. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

So the Cowboys flop against the Patriots, to the surprise of no one. The idea that people thought Dak Prescott was an MVP candidate is absurd. He and his team beat up on crappy opponents, then fold whenever they're faced with anyone good.

Speaking of which, the Patriots' offense is utter garbage at the moment. They can blame the O-line, they can blame the receivers (like Brady obviously is, given the amount of chopping and changing they've done this season) but there's only one person putting passes in the dirt more often than he's putting them in the hands of receivers.

The weather was awful and two wide receivers Phillip Dorsett and Mohamed Sanu were injured. I find it ironic that fans will complain about the Patriots having it easy while all the expansion teams were in the AFC South. I'm sure that helped the Colts.

• Useful 1

I loooooove Aaron Rodgers and have moved to lukewarm for the Niners from the abject hatred during both the Montana and TO eras, so last night was not fun.  Aaron’s line was made of Swiss cheese.  (OMG I didn’t even realize that I made a pun until I read this back, and I’m not even sorry.)

For tonight’s game, is there anyone on earth who thinks tonight is going to be anything less than a bloodbath?  Aaron Donald is excellent, of course, but the Ravens make almost every team look silly lately.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Lamar Jackson had another fantastic game tonight. I enjoyed watching him play and he was very efficient. He really has grown a lot as a player and a passer and his passing and running skills was on display again tonight with his 5TDs. The Ravens as a whole played very well again tonight and really dominated the Rams. 

The 49ers/Ravens game on Sunday should be a really interesting matchup. I think that could end up being an exciting game and I wonder who will win it. 

• Love 7

I am definitely rooting for the Ravens next week, but the Niners defense is very good and may make Lamar Jackson work for it. The Ravens schedule has been pretty tough but they continue to make things look easy.

The Rams are done, and deserve to sit out of the playoffs after such a crappy offensive showing. Is this the same team that was dominating last season? Figures Goff will suck after signing such a big contract- that tends to happen more than it should. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

The weather was awful and two wide receivers Phillip Dorsett and Mohamed Sanu were injured. I find it ironic that fans will complain about the Patriots having it easy while all the expansion teams were in the AFC South. I'm sure that helped the Colts.

The Pats' offense has been struggling for at least a month now, and even when they were scoring more points, it was against bad teams. Brady has clearly been unhappy with his receivers, since before the season began - signed Demayrius Thomas then traded him away, signed Josh Gordon but he got hurt, traded for Antonio Brown despite the fact he was a lunatic, then traded a second round pick for Sanu. The only TE worth the name is Ben Watson. It's a very un-Pats roster.

Anyway, if both the Ravens and Patriots end the season as things stand, then I don't think the Ravens will be scared of going to Foxborough. They haven't been in the past.

Another dominant win tonight, and it still feels so strange to say that about the Ravens. They just bullied the Rams, in every phase of play. Quite apart from Lamar's increasingly expected showing, two signature moments for me were Marcus Peters getting revenge on the team that didn't know what to do with him, and Mark Ingram just trucking the entire Rams defense to get a first down on 1st and 18.

The next test is another big one - the 49ers next week. I have no idea how that game will play out.

As for Goff, I thought he looked okay when he had time to throw, and could properly set himself. He's utterly reliant on having a good O-line, but he just doesn't at the moment. Yes, he's way overpaid, and the Rams have built their roster badly in terms of trades and contracts, but they can still be competitive if they make the right moves.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

So glad everyone ran out and hired young offensive "geniuses" like Sean McVay when they needed new HC's in the Spring.   

the Ravens just obliterated the Rams.   It was a beat down.   I can't believe the Ravens lost to the BROWNS.    But I'm beating the rematch won't be a repeat.   

The 49ers-Ravens is set for 1 p.m.   Wonder if they flex it?

• Love 3

I love the positive vibe between Lamar Jackson and RGIII and he even got to complete a pass, although I wish it could have been for a touchdown.

I miss RGIII with the Redskins and while some of the blame lies with him (I thought he was smelling himself) I hate the way they screwed him up.  So I'm happy for him with the Ravens.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, merylinkid said:

So glad everyone ran out and hired young offensive "geniuses" like Sean McVay when they needed new HC's in the Spring.   

the Ravens just obliterated the Rams.   It was a beat down.   I can't believe the Ravens lost to the BROWNS.    But I'm beating the rematch won't be a repeat.   

They didn’t just lose to Browns, they got Smacked by the Browns at home!

The rematch will be a tough game, I hope.

7 hours ago, roamyn said:

They didn’t just lose to Browns, they got Smacked by the Browns at home!

The rematch will be a tough game, I hope.

Off the back of that game, Eric DeCosta signed L.J. Fort and Josh Bynes, who were upgrades at LB, signed Jihad Ward as a depth defensive lineman and traded Kenny Young for Marcus Peters.

Then, Tony Jefferson went on IR which meant Chuck Clark got the green dot, and the job of organising the defense on the field. He's been a revelation. Also, since then Brandon Williams and Jimmy Smith have returned.

So that defeat was the catalyst for turning what was a 30th place defense into a contender for 1st place.

All of this is not to say the Browns didn't play well, and deserve the win, because they did. And the rematch will be tough, because divisional games almost always are in the AFC North. But in the context of the season, that loss was the best thing that could have happened to the Ravens, at that point.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

There is nothing wrong with them allowing the action on the field to speak for itself on occasion without them constantly yammering.

I actually noticed this, and I'm not usually in tune with announcing. For the most part, the people doing professional sports on national TV are pretty good at not talking over each other and the game in general.

I think I noticed because (don't judge me) I've been watching the occasional broadcast on some miscellaneous cable channel of local dirt track racing from around the country. There was a crew that did a race somewhere in the southeast that was atrocious. The color guy wouldn't shut up. He was just yelling right over top of the play by play guy. 

And when I watched some of the last ESPN game, I got a little bit of the same feeling. Just let the play by play guy call the game. You don't have to fill every second with your voices.

• Love 2

There is one guy (Charles Davis, I think) who really annoys me. He constantly talks over the other guy to the point he has to apologize frequently for cutting him off, and we can't see one goddamn play with him telling us what was wrong with it and how it should have been done. Ugh. 

Booger can be funny, but he also talks constantly, and if there is nothing to say, he will just make the same point 500 times. 

Apparently we are not alone is this frustration...

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/11/nfl-fans-slam-booger-mcfarland-during-monday-night-football/

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/nov/26/monday-night-football-espn-booger-mcfarland-joe-tessitore-nfl

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I think I noticed because (don't judge me) I've been watching the occasional broadcast on some miscellaneous cable channel of local dirt track racing from around the country.

I would judge you favorably for that! If you're ever down this way, we'll have to visit a local dirt track...it can be "interesting". 😉

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Booger can be funny, but he also talks constantly, and if there is nothing to say, he will just make the same point 500 times.

I bet he talks as a subconscious defense mechanism to avoid dealing with the sad reality that people call him "Booger."

• LOL 6
7 hours ago, TVbitch said:

And yet, it's 800 times better than it was last year with Jason Witten in the booth and Booger outside in some bizarre contraption where he could channel his inner Tony Siragusa.  Three guys in a booth is always, always a horrible choice, even more so when one of those guys is Jason Witten and the other two are not much better.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Three guys in a booth is always, always a horrible choice

For any sport. I've never seen this work out. There's a glut of former athletes and not enough jobs, and someone needs to put their foot down. It clearly doesn't work.

• Love 5

A big reason why I am a Bills fan is because of Jim Kelly.

I don’t know if I’m a biased Bills fan but I’m finding some of these “calls” difficult to stomach. First with the phantom hands to the face fall that negated an interception in the 2nd, and now a bullshit unnecessary roughness for tackling a running QB? I just can’t.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

I have the luxury of not paying for cbs all whatever to watch the game so I'm in the kitchen listening to it on the Cowboys radio and these guys are very entertaining. I'm really enjoying the broadcast and I typically give fuck all for announcing crews.

• Useful 1
53 minutes ago, twoods said:

I don’t know if I’m a biased Bills fan but I’m finding some of these “calls” difficult to stomach.

Nope, because I don't give a shit about the Bills other than when they're ruining Jerry Jones's Thanksgiving, and those calls were total bull.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

I would say that's a wrap for Jason Garrett, but they still have a good shot to win the NFC (L)East.

OTOH, Buffalo is legit good.

According to ESPN a top source told them that Jerry was going to stick with him for the rest of the season, regardless of what the outcome of tonight's game was. But I wonder now if Jerry is reconsidering that. He was upset and I think he may have left his box multiple times in tonight's game in frustration. The hot seat for Jason has definitely gotten even hotter after tonight's game. 

I was thinking last week after the Cowboys loss to the Patriots that the Cowboys really should have a better record than they do. (Even with factoring in losing to the Patriots) But IMO, they are underachieving. I also think they still have a chance to win their division, due to Carson Wentz and the Eagles struggling. And they will definitely have to win it in order to make the playoffs. With the way things are going in the NFC, they wouldn't get a Wild Card spot. (I believe that Seattle and either the Vikings or Packers (whichever one doesn't win the NFC North).

On the flip side, the Bills played well tonight. Josh Allen played well and I was impressed with things like the 4th down play he made when he recovered the fumble and and pushed forward for the extra yardage. That was definitely a gritty, tough play. They continue to be on their way to making the playoffs. I definitely think they will get one of the AFC Wild Cards. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

These officials are trash and Nantz and Romo are incapable of any objectivity whatsoever and I hate everything about this.  FUCK Dallas.

I didn't really think that until today, but especially in the first quarter, you would have thought CBS's announcers were assigned by the Cowbungs' PR office.  And then the slurping over and with Emmitt Mushmouth Smith. 

It wasn't until Buffalo started scoring and gradually taking charge of the game that anyone in the booth even noticed the Bills were also on the field.

As the Giants are destined for utter suckiness this year, then it's only reasonable that the "winner" of the NFC East comes out with a losing record.  Then gets decimated in the first round by the # 5 seed, likely Seattle.  A girl can dream.

Edited by meowmommy
  • Love 5