Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

Saints sign Champ Bailey to a two year deal!

Love the look of our secondary. Lewis, Bailey, Robinson, White, Sweeting at corner. Vaccaro, Byrd and Bush (assuming they match the offer sheet) at safety.

I had local sports talk radio on all day and they were talking about the "unnamed sources" who gave some insight into the locker room chemistry.  I can't say that I'm surprised because he was never shy about being a dick on field too but he has had so many game changing moments that I'm still worried about our O effectiveness without him.  ( I watch his game winning punt return against the Giants whenever I need a pick-me-up.)  I didn't even want to see the S.A.S interview--glad to know I didn't miss anything.

Seahawks in the house! LOB! Although if I had to pick a second it would be the 9ers. They are definitely a worthy adversary and I think the NFC is heads and shoulders above the AFC. I guess I'm just a die-hard West Coaster. I love sitting down with some friends and a beer and watching a good game. I'm looking forward to the Hawks-9ers matchup on Thanksgiving because I think it's actually going to be a nail biter. 

• Love 1

The NFC West is just a killer division. The Rams and Cardinals I think will be improved as well. They both have good coaches.

I agree the NFC is king right now, but specifically the NFC West is easily the best in football. If Carolina had not dumped every wide receiver that ever caught an NFL pass and lost their left tackle I might argue for the NFC South being close, but not now

My only annoyance with the draft is that it is really sloooowwwww.  I don't mean the time it takes for the teams to make their decisions because I know they're on the clock.  What I'm talking about is the time it takes for the athletes to get to the damn stage.  Yes, I know they have to hug their mommas and their relatives and their agents, etc., but they take much too long for the walk to the stage.  There was one big Baby Huey who was bawling so much and just sort of standing there, I started yelling at the TV.  I understand that this is a very emotional time for them.  I understand that this might be the only time some of them will ever be in the spotlight.  However, they really need to tell these players to speed it up.   I got bored and was only waiting until they drafted Manziel.  Then I was out.

So as far as I can see, it's all Johnny's relatives who have caused mayhem, not his dad, not his mom and not him.   Sure he got has been pictured partying and drinking while underage.   What a shocking act for a college kid.   The only thing he has done bad is screwed up at the Manning Football Camp.  

Yeah, I'm not going to judge Johnny Manziel just based on his family's background.  I'll see how he plays in the pros, and how he conducts himself in the future.   

I'm just glad they didn't have cell phone cameras, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram around when I was 22. 

My only annoyance with the draft is that it is really sloooowwwww.  I don't mean the time it takes for the teams to make their decisions because I know they're on the clock.  What I'm talking about is the time it takes for the athletes to get to the damn stage.  Yes, I know they have to hug their mommas and their relatives and their agents, etc., but they take much too long for the walk to the stage.  There was one big Baby Huey who was bawling so much and just sort of standing there, I started yelling at the TV.  I understand that this is a very emotional time for them.  I understand that this might be the only time some of them will ever be in the spotlight.  However, they really need to tell these players to speed it up.   I got bored and was only waiting until they drafted Manziel.  Then I was out.

It's not just the athletes dawdling, the ones that are invited to come on the stage are waiting for their jerseys to get their names on the back. Since no one knows who is going where, they don't put the names on until the player is drafted.

(edited)

This article has the CBS NFL play calling lineup in it with some commentary.

I did not know Marv was not calling NFL games anymore. I'm also surprised that Greg Gumbel is third in the list. Here's the list by itself:

The entire CBS roster looks as followed:

No. 1: Jim Nantz/Phil Simms//Tracy Wolfson

No. 2: Ian Eagle/Dan Fouts

No. 3: Greg Gumbel/Trent Green

No. 4: Kevin Harlan/Rich Gannon

No. 5: Spero Dedes/Solomon Wilcots

No. 6: Andrew Catalon/Steve Beuerlein/Steve Tasker

CBS said play-by-play announcers Brian Anderson and Tom McCarthy will be used as well as analysts Adam Archuleta and Chris Simms during busy weeks.

Big Blue fan here, 28 years this coming season.

Edited by mojoween
(edited)

Erin Andrews replaces Pam Oliver. Thoughts?

Pam Oliver is 53?

I hope Erin Andrews is already considering long-range career plans in another field, unless she's content to stay in sports media and take what work the overlords will throw her way, once it's her turn to be demoted for someone younger and hotter. I mean, it's not her fault that people find her attractive, and if you're comfortable with your looks being part of the package that gets you ahead, great, but there's a shelf life to being a sideline babe. Other facets of sports reporting, like commentary or more investigative work, where it's more about talent and skill, seem to be areas where women on camera are allowed to age, but those are less glamorous worlds that probably don't pay as much.

I hardly pay attention to sideline reporting, but as a straight woman, I suppose this personnel shift is not aimed in my direction. A moment like the Sherman interview is probably only going to come along once or twice a year. I guess there's research indicating that the right sideline reporter provides a sizable ratings bump.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

My knee-jerk reaction was "pretty black journalist gets replaced by a prettier and blonder journalist."

But it's just business, right? Both women are good sideline reporters who seem to understand what they're talking about and don't sound like they're reading a script. Erin Andrews is younger, and more men would call her hot. But will that translate into better ratings? Fox obviously thinks so.

It does bother me that no one talks about how male journalists look. No one is saying that we should replace fat-ass Tony Siragusa with the more attractive Daryl Johnston because with men, it all seems to be about talent and personality rather than physical appearance.

If it is about talent and personality -- why hasn't Tony Siragusa been replaced?   Honestly he is just there so he can say "When I played  ..."  50 times a game.

On the plus side, Bills opened training camp this weekend.   FOOTBALL IS BACK.

• Love 1
(edited)

The part about the Oliver news that gives me the side-eye is FOX saying she was "promoted" because she is going to do features for FOX1 or whatever it's called yet she remains a a sideline reporter with the C team. Some promotion!

I'm a straight chickie too and I would take Pam Oliver over the incredibly annoying and over-rated Erin Andrews any day. I will never forgive Erin for her obnoxiousness during the World Series post-game coverage.

Edited by mojoween

I remember Dungry expressing views along those lines in the past (disapproval of gay players), so I'm only surprised he didn't give a bland, PC answer since he's a TV guy now.

"Guy ran a dogfighting ring, murdered dogs, went to jail and is one of the most hated men in the country, I can work with that. Gay guy? Too big of a distraction."

• Love 4

Dungy has clarified his original comments:

Dungy explains that the quotes were obtained in the aftermath of the draft, following the news that Oprah Winfrey would turn Sam’s story into a reality show.  (The plug has since been pulled on the project.)

“I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team,” Dungy says.

“I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL.  He absolutely does.

“I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process.  It should not.

“I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team.  I would not.”

Dungy notes that he had been asked those questions in the preceding three months, and that he consistently said that playing in the NFL “is, and should be, about merit.”  The question posted by the Tampa Tribune focused much more narrowly than that.

“What I was asked about was my philosophy of drafting, a philosophy that was developed over the years, which was to minimize distractions for my teams,” the former Buccaneers and Colts head coach says.  “I do not believe Michael’s sexual orientation will be a distraction to his teammates or his organization.  I do, however, believe that the media attention that comes with it will be a distraction.  Unfortunately we are all seeing this play out now, and I feel badly that my remarks played a role in the distraction.”

So, a gay player isn't a distraction, just the media attention surrounding the gay player, and that's the reason he wouldn't draft him. The media. But it stands to reason that the more players who are out, the less noteworthy it will be, causing fewer distractions.

(edited)

I can see Dungy's point as he is a conservative Christian.    I also see his point as a coach.    Michael Sam went in the 7th round.   He is a marginal player at best.   With marginal players, it is a lot harder to ignore the media circus.    Michael Vick although a media circus was a first round draft choice and remained a decent player (I personally think his playing abililty is overhyped).    But it is true, in the NFL the better you play, the more slack you are cut about offfield issues.    First round with a lot left in the tank -- no problem about the dogfighting.    7th rounder who has Oprah following him around -- big problem.   How do you explain to Oprah you cut the guy because he didn't play well -- on a team stacked with passrushers already -- rather than because he was gay?   Easier not to draft him in the first place and avoid the issue all together.   

Michael Vick is a back up on the Jets now because he couldn't stay healthy, not because of the dogfighting.   Tim Tebow is out of the League because he wasn't that good despite the hype (his mechanics suck but he got some lucky plays so that hid the problem) and the circus that came with him was too much for teams to put up with.   

That said, I have no problems with a gay player in the NFL, a gay person in  Congress, on the Supreme Court, etc.    But you gotta be there because of merit, not because you are gay.    

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 5

I can't support Tony Dungy when I know he campaigned for antigay legislation. Being chosen in a lower round doesn't mean you won't be successful. Tom Brady was drafted by the Patriots in the 6th.round.

• Love 1

Michael Sam's TV plans were what did it for me.  He clearly was more interested in promoting himself than dedicating himself to playing football, and heaven help anyone who had the gall to call him on it because they would be labeled a homophobe.  I'm so glad he did get called on it, so now we can see how well he can play, you know, football.

• Love 2

I get so fed up with people who claim that Tony Dungy has a right to express his opinion.  Not when he's working as an analyst for the sport.  Does that give all of the other analysts rights to attack women, minorities, individuals?

Michael Sam's TV plans were what did it for me.  He clearly was more interested in promoting himself than dedicating himself to playing football, and heaven help anyone who had the gall to call him on it because they would be labeled a homophobe.  I'm so glad he did get called on it, so now we can see how well he can play, you know, football.

Tony Dungy said he made his comments to the Tampa newspaper around the time of the Oprah deal, which was mid-May.

The Tampa reporter, one of the best and longest-serving NFL reporters, said he interviewed Dungy 2 weeks ago.

So it had nothing to do with the reality show.

(edited)

I get so fed up with people who claim that Tony Dungy has a right to express his opinion.  Not when he's working as an analyst for the sport.  Does that give all of the other analysts rights to attack women, minorities, individuals?

Actually, yes it does....and it gives their employers the right to fire them if that's what they deem appropriate. Case in point, Rush Limbaugh's (thankfully) brief tenure on ESPN's NFL Sunday Countdown.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1
So it had nothing to do with the reality show.

My comments about Michael Sam had nothing to do with Tony Dungy's comments.  I was just commenting about how I felt about Michael Sam trying to get a show.

I think Dungy is a complete hypocrite; Michael Vick coming back was a distraction and he had people protesting at Eagles' games and he was outspoken about Tim Tebow getting a second chance and calling the media frenzy around him a circus is an understatement. 

• Love 2

Tony Dungy showed his true conservative colors IMO which may make him a bad analyst but he was a pretty good coach when he was a coach. I don't know what to think, because he and I would be on opposite poles when it comes to this issue.

Anyways. I find myself horrified that this morning I found myself amused and charmed by Frank Caliendo. I KNOW! But when he is himself, he's a pretty funny guy. And I begrudgingly admit that his Morgan Freeman was damn good. Not lying when I say I thought it WAS Morgan because I was listening on the radio app.

Some of his impersonations are not good though and Mike and Mike's hilarity over the Gruden is unwarranted. However, "TODD TODD TODD TODD TODD TODD" does make me laugh so much.

I'm glad I don't root for the Ravens. I think Ray Rice got off easy. I  think he should have been suspended for at least four games same as a PED ban. Mike and Mike were both outraged this morning by his punishment.

• Love 1

I am thisclose to buying into Mark Schlereth's conspiracy theory that Goodell went easy on Rice to lay the groundwork for a light punishment on Jim Irsay. I'm also surprised that the video of what happened inside the elevator didn't leak. I'm sure that TMZ used everything in their formidable book of tricks to get their hands on it. I wonder if it's the NFL that has the only copy now.

I'm glad I don't root for the Ravens.

Yeah, the Ravens are the only team in the league with this kind of problem.

I'm glad I'm not a Panthers fan, Greg Hardy assaulted his girlfriend.

I'm glad I'm not a Steelers fan, Ben Roethlisberger was accused of sexually assaulting women.

I'm glad I'm not a Cardinals fan, Daryl Washington was accused of assaulting the mother of his child, breaking her collarbone.

Those are just off the top of my head.