Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Facebook has just reminded me that two years ago on this date Ben McAdoo did the DUMBEST FUCKING THING IN THE HISTORY OF THE LEAGUE and no, I am still not over it.

Geno Smith's going to be the answer to a trivia question some day.

I think my soon-to-be 30-year-old DD still has her Jim Kelly jersey.  Her name is Kelly, and when she was a sprog, she got excited by the man on TV wearing a shirt with her name on it, so my dad gave her the jersey for Christmas.  She still asks me every week how her team is doing, but she doesn't actually give a shit and never watches.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know why anyone thought Garrett would be fired.  I don't think Garrett will be fired....

They need a good field goal kicker since they are having problems scoring touchdowns.

Probably depends on whether or not they limp to the division title ahead of the Iggles.

The owner needs to fire the general manager, but he would have to have that conversation in front of the mirror.

I don't even like Buffalo, but at the end of the game, all Jim and Tony could talk about was how the loss would affect Dall-ass and how sad it was to lose at home on Thanksgiving.  Barely a single word about how the win would affect Buffalo, and how exhilarating it must be to win on the road on Thanksgiving.  Then you know they had to scrounge around to find a damn turkey leg for Josh Allen because they had not planned anything like that...after all, Dall-ass was going to win.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have said it in the past.  Some network needs to try airing a  no announcer game again.

I watched the announcerless game.  It was more like being at a game, where you just have the PA announcer, and it was before referees had microphones.  People absolutely hated it.  I think for it to work now, you'd need really good camera work, really good graphics, and both a chatty PA announcer and chatty ref.  Best to try it out on a couple of last place teams.

Although the graphics can spoil the camera work.  Used to be, they would make sure the angle included the down and distance marker, but once they introduced the yellow line, they decided you didn't need to see it any more.  I didn't like that.

13 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The more Romo talks, the more he puts his foot in his mouth.

He made the mistake of reading his own press clippings.  Now he thinks his shit don't stink.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The worst was when there was a PI call on Dallas which was very blatant, and Romo claimed it was a bad call. Then Nantz said “he didn’t turn around to look for the ball while he was in front of the receiver” and Romo backtracked that it would have been a good play if he turned around. HE DIDN'T TURN AROUND WHICH IS WHY IT WAS A PENALTY ASSHOLE!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shoregirl said:

This was a good thing the Eagles did. Its about 5 mins but its worth your time.

A long read, but I found this on Jamie Apody's Facebook. She's a sports anchor on 6abc Philly. Yes, the Iggles have been stinking up the joint lately, but they are a class organization. This gives you an idea of just how far they went for these two teams struck by tragedy.

Arthur Leo Taylor

November 21 at 9:10 PM · 

Gonna mail this tomorrow!

Dear PHILADELPHIA EAGLES,

Let me preface this letter by saying first that I was a die-hard REDSKINS fan until the issues that I had with the NFL and it’s handling of COLIN KAEPERNICK (especially after last Saturday’s shenanigans). For the past 3 years I have been boycotting the NFL and could never imagine myself at the LINC.

That said, I am a teacher at PLEASANTVILLE HIGH SCHOOL and was working the concession stand when the shootings in PLEASANTVILLE took place. It was just awful and from that night I could see that our students and staff were going to have a very hard time coping with its magnitude. We were upset about the incident and upset none the less about not being able to see our fellas play to the end of the game.

And then there was THE EAGLES letting the fellas play on their field, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

We had no idea how much of a GREEN (red) carpet you all were going to roll out. 
When I think about your generosity it brings tears to my eyes. Those fellas were provided an amazing opportunity thanks to the EAGLES. With 10 year old MICAH having lost his life that morning we knew it was going to be a difficult day. I can’t tell you how many of our staff broke down in tears upon hearing the news. The one thing that went right that day was that the fellas were going to play on EAGLES sacred ground.

It would have been enough for us just to use the stadium to play, but no, you guys went and did the AMAZING:

. Put the players and managers names on the lockers
. Provided wristbands
. Gave them EAGLES hats and Paraphernalia 
. Had our Greyhound logo posted all over the stadium 
. Used professional commentators
. Allowed the players to meet QUARTERBACK CARSON WENTZ and other EAGLES
. Provided free parking with smiling and helpful assistants 
. Provided delicious Hot dogs, pretzels and bottled water
. Allowed the team to run out to through the tunnel with smoke blasts
. Provided excellent seating arrangements at the 50 yard line
. Gave an AWESOME tribute to MICAH
. Had SWOOP available for pictures 
. Allowed the fans to come on the field after the game
.Provided excellent coverage of the game
.And I know I didn’t name it all

The tears are rolling down my face as I write this because I spoke with some of the fellas today and that experience was life altering for them win or lose they will NEVER forget your generosity by allowing them for a little while to put aside the events of that horrible day. The level of compassion that you showed the PLEASANTVILLE community and CAMDEN too for that matter, was heartfelt and real and I, for one, cannot THANK YOU ENOUGH and will NEVER forget the day the PHILADELPHIA EAGLES let broken hearted families and young men FLY!

The NFL has much to learn from you all! GOD BLESS YOU EAGLES! FLY INDEED FLY!!!

Sincerely,

ARTHUR TAYLOR 
PLEASANTVILLE TEACHER

“People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” MAYA ANGELOU

In other news, Carson Wentz is going to be a daddy.

In even better news, Dallas lost. Hahahahahahahaha! Happy Thanksgiving, Jerry!

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

I'm a Patriots fan so I should have wanted the Bills to lose however I hate the Cowboys so I was happy today. I don't know why the media interviews Jerry Jones after every game no other owner does that. I pity any coach who has to deal with him.

Garret won't be fired right away because 1) the next game is only 7 days away, not 10 like they usually get after Thanksgiving.   2) Jones has only fired ONCE in season since he has owned the team.   He fired Wade Phillips and made Garrett the interim then peramanent coach.   3) Jones doesn't like to admit he is wrong.   

Dallas has the same problem that the Skins have -- an over involved ownership.   Until that changes, nothing will change in Dallas.

Jerrah wasn't the one screaming the locker room.   It was Michael Bennett.   Who knows what a good team looks like.   This ain't it.   Let Dak be Dak and we will win.   But that conservative playcalling is not going to do it.   Oh and the Defense might want to think about actually doing their jobs too.   The Bills (who are a legit good team, not taking anything from them) ran right through the D like it wasn't there.   I can't remember a single major defensive play by the Cowboys.  

All 3 visiting teams won yesterday.   One of those days.

Fun fact, the Lions have had the lead IN EVERY SINGLE GAME THIS SEASON.   They are 3-8-1.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

They are throwing INTs because their play calling is predictable.   The defense knows where to be.    I think Dak, despite being good, has limited ability to change the call at the line.   So he has to do what he is told to do.    WHOLESALE coaching changes are needed.

10 minutes ago, twoods said:

Why am I stuck watching Browns/Steelers instead of Ravens/SF? Stupid CBS.

Isn't San Fran @ Ravens on FOX?  

Why is that game being shown at noon?  Why isn't this potential SB preview being shown at 3:25 as a national broadcast?

Baltimore/San Fran is a FOX game, and the only way it would be on CBS is if FOX agreed to give it to them, and that was never going to happen.  It didn’t get flexed to the night game because NBC wasn’t going to give up New England, and I don’t think games can get flexed to four EST from one EST, only night games get flexed.

I’m perfectly happy watching the Giants for once, even if they lose.  I live three hundred miles north of the Meadowlands, and I was freezing in the time it took me to go out and get the paper this morning.  No way I would hang around outside in shirtsleeves for three hours in this.  Besides, didn’t their mothers ever tell them to dress warmly before they went outside to play?

45 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Isn't San Fran @ Ravens on FOX? 

Yes.  Unless you live in Los Angeles or Arizona, and then we don't have a damn morning game on FOX.  I'm okay having the Browns-Steelers game on instead, as it will motivate me to go put the Christmas lights up before the Rams-Cardinals game starts, but I'd rather watch the battle between the two teams having stellar seasons.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Fox isn’t even showing a game right now so I expected it to be on CBS.

I rely on the coverage maps on 506sports, although I have NFL Sunday Ticket.  CBS had a shitty choice of early games, so they went with Cleveland - Pgh as their national game.

44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Unless you live in Los Angeles or Arizona, and then we don't have a damn morning game on FOX.

I'm in AZ, so the only games on the networks are Cleve/Pgh and the late Cardinals game because of those weird NFL rules about showing a second game when the local team is home.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Baltimore/San Fran is a FOX game, and the only way it would be on CBS is if FOX agreed to give it to them, and that was never going to happen.  It didn’t get flexed to the night game because NBC wasn’t going to give up New England, and I don’t think games can get flexed to four EST from one EST, only night games get flexed.

I’m perfectly happy watching the Giants for once, even if they lose.  I live three hundred miles north of the Meadowlands, and I was freezing in the time it took me to go out and get the paper this morning.  No way I would hang around outside in shirtsleeves for three hours in this.  Besides, didn’t their mothers ever tell them to dress warmly before they went outside to play?

They move games all the time during the afternoon, either up to 3:25 or back to a noon start.    As an example, the Packers game against Carolina on Nov. 10 got moved from noon to 3:25. 

• Love 1

I thought that the Ravens/49ers was a good, gritty and competitive game. Justin Tucker came up clutch as often does at the end with the FG to help the Ravens get the win. And they continue to roll.

There was multiple unexpected results today, where bad teams beat better teams. The Redskins, Bengals and Dolphins all won today. The Bengals got their first win of the season and the Dolphins played a good game. I Thought that trick play they ran on fourth down earlier in the game with the punter and place holder was a cool play. They may have a bad record but they often play very hard and have been competitive in several of their games this year. That was a bad loss for the Eagles and things continue to be up in the air in the NFC East Division. 

The Browns also missed an opportunity to beat the Steelers again and better help their chances for a WC. They still have a shot at getting one but it's going to be tougher with teams like the Steelers, Titans, and Colts in the mix. And they all have better records than the Browns right now.

Also Nick Foles got benched for Gardner Minshew during the Jags/Bucs game today in the second half. The Jags got down big in the first half Another rough game for the Jags who have now lost four games in the row. Gardner did provide some spark when he came off the bench but the team still couldn't get it together and lost again. I wonder what decision next week Doug Marrone will make when he addresses who will be the starter. 

Edited by Jx223
18 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

So, will the winner of the NFC East have a record better than .500?

I think they could. I think that either Dallas or the Eagles could get to nine wins. If the Cowboys can beat the Bears, Redskins and Eagles again that would do it. (And that's not factoring in the Rams who they also play and who have been struggling).

And the Eagles have an easy remaining schedule left, but they would have to win all of their remaining games to get to 9 wins.  Though, they should be favored in at least three of those match ups as they play the Giants twice and Redskins once. I could see the Cowboys rematch being their hardest game. But if they win out they could reach 9 wins. Though, them losing to the Dolphins today did set them back more.

I could see the Cowboys winning the division. Granted they have definitely had ups and down this season, but I think they may be a bit more together than the Eagles are.

Edited by Jx223

Another tough loss for the Chargers.  They had tied it up and had a chance to go to OT, but lost on another last second field goal, after they got PI called against them. They have lost so many close games this year, things have been very disheartening for them.

Also, I wonder who will get the last WC spot in the AFC. The Bills will get the first one, I'm not sure who will get the last one. Maybe the Colts. Steelers, Raiders and Browns could also get it (even though the Browns and especially the Raiders had tough losses today).

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Fukui San said:

I don’t think I could have written a script for a more aggravating season for a teams fans than the 2019 Jets season if I tried. It’s beautiful torture. 

There is nothing beautiful about losing to 2 winless teams in a season (Dolphins & the Bungles). If that downright shameful performance today doesn't get Adam Gase fired & out of the NFL forever at the end of the season, I don't know what will. I hate the Jets as much as I hate the Falcons, Patriots, & those scummy Cowboys. They make the Detroit Lions look like a model NFL Franchise. 

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

The late afternoon games appear to switch networks on a weekly basis.  This week was CBS's week to have the late afternoon game so FOX didn't have a late afternoon slot they could flex the game into.  Had it been CBS's game, they could have done it.  Or had it been FOX's week for a 4:35 p.m. EST start, they could have.  But alas, the stars did not align.

• Useful 2

Thank GOODNESS the Dolphins won.   

That Giants-Packers game looked miserable.   At least the rain stopped for the Ravens-49ers game.

I think the Belichek magic has run out (I've said this before and been wrong).   It's not Brady, he's got no one to throw too.   No one is open.   

The Road to the Super Bowl goes through Baltimore.  

• Love 2

Happy Thanksgiving weekend to me. 

The Giants are a lost cause this season, so my weekend has long since stopped being ruined when they lose. 

The Rams rebounded from an abysmal showing Monday night to beat a pathetic team, but it was still a needed win and their playoff hopes are alive.  Remote, and wouldn't be deserved, but alive. 

But, really, it was all about whose losses filled me with glee.  The Cowboys lost Thursday, Alabama lost yesterday (collateral damage; I only care that the walking turd that is Nick Saban loses), and now the Patriots lost tonight.  For all this I give thanks.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, twoods said:

Why am I stuck watching Browns/Steelers instead of Ravens/SF? Stupid CBS.

Well, because the announcers and football media were so disgusted with what happened at the end of the Steelers vs Browns game that they just had to make sure they had it on TV so that they could be as audibly disgusted if similar things happened in this one.

8 hours ago, Jx223 said:

I thought that the Ravens/49ers was a good, gritty and competitive game. Justin Tucker came up clutch as often does at the end with the FG to help the Ravens get the win. And they continue to roll.

It was an old fashioned, tough battle. Both offenses did some good things in the first half, then the defenses started to switch on in the second half. I was definitely concerned about that outside run gashing the Ravens defense, and they'll have to fix that before the playoffs. The 49ers are a good team, and while the NFC is always hard to predict, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them make the Super Bowl.

Justin Tucker is as close to automatic as an NFL kicker gets. He has nerves of steel, and a swagger that puts some diva receivers to shame. And I'm just relieved that it's another game down, and that the Texans stuck the knife into the Patriots, leaving the Ravens as the #1 AFC seed.

Just the Bills, Jets, Steelers and Browns to go... still not easy to win out.

• Love 2

Steelers players were blasting Kitchens for wearing a shirt that said, “Pittsburgh started it” to the movies.  They showed up to the game in shirts that said, “Free Pouncey,” and one had a sweatshirt with a Steelers player urinating on a Cleveland player laying on the ground, but, sure, let’s hear how offended they were by Kitchens’ clothing. 🙄

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Well, because the announcers and football media were so disgusted with what happened at the end of the Steelers vs Browns game that they just had to make sure they had it on TV so that they could be as audibly disgusted if similar things happened in this one.

The game was flexed out of the 4:00 slot. So the league actually did lower its prominence.

The Patriots' offense looked terrible for most of the game, but they looked worse at this point last year, losing to the Titans and Dolphins. They haven't had a stable OL and receiving corps at the same time all year so they haven't been able to develop chemistry. Now they have everyone they're going to get back active at the same time, and they have no choice but to do what they can with what they have. *shrug* We'll see.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Fukui San said:

The Patriots' offense looked terrible for most of the game, but they looked worse at this point last year, losing to the Titans and Dolphins.

Everyone's talking about how they've now lost the #1 seed, but at the rate they're going, they might even lose the division.  The way Buffalo is playing, the Pats are not even close to being a lock on the AFC East.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Rams rebounded from an abysmal showing Monday night to beat a pathetic team, but it was still a needed win and their playoff hopes are alive. 

Very remote.  Looks from here that the two wild cards are going to come from GB/Minn and SF/Sea, but I suppose anything is possible.

7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Steelers players were blasting Kitchens for wearing a shirt that said, “Pittsburgh started it” to the movies.  They showed up to the game in shirts that said, “Free Pouncey,”

Oh, jeez Louise, they all need to grow the fuck up.

• Love 4

I missed the first half, but I enjoyed the hell out of the second half of tonight's game.  I'm going to be a bundle of conflicting emotions and loyalties next week in the Rams-Seahawks game.

I’m not a Vikings fan at all, but I don’t understand that if they overturned the Raiders interception and called it a PI why they didn’t do the same when the defender obviously held Diggs which is why he didn’t get a chance to catch the ball cleanly. Why are they so inconsistent? I know that the Raiders get more penalties than other teams, but sometimes it seems as if the refs are biased against them. 

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

According to Ian Rapoport on Twitter, the Panthers have just fired Ron Rivera.

I had heard prior to today that they might be thinking of letting him go, but I wasn't sure they would do it, this season. (Though the new owner has made some strong statements about not putting up with losing). And certainly not this quickly before the season is over with.

I know the Panthers have been struggling lately, but I think that overall Ron has done some really nice things with this team and that he was doing a nice job when Kyle Allen stepped in earlier this year.

I definitely think that Ron may get another HC job in the league. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 2

All change in Carolina, by the looks of it. But I don't think Kyle Allen is the guy they want to pin their hopes on. He's got 'career backup' written all over him.

If they are done with Cam, they need to figure things out quickly, so they can make the most of their two great offensive talents, DJ Moore and Christian McCaffrey.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If Rivers is done with the Chargers, I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up with the Panthers.

Man, that daily commute from San Diego to Charlotte would be a bitch.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

Sorry to hear about Rivera (he is one of THE Super Bowl Bears) but he will not have any trouble finding a landing spot.  The owner actually did him a favor by firing him now so that anyone looking for a new coach will have first dibs on him.  Not that I want him to work for Crazy Jerry.  Or Cleveland.  Or D.C.  

If Philip Rivers doesn't want to commute, he can always retire and help out with his 37 kids at home.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2