Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Absolutely true.  Probably not upper management material.  I still think he was a good coach. 

Ehh.   He was too old school.   The Jags re-set the clocks today.   Because his "if you are not 5 minutes early, you are late" philosophy was out of the building.   Football players can be divas (wow there's an understatement) but most of them are professionals.   Treat them as such.   Also, its a game, not a war.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Belichick is old school and is very successful. 

Is he 'old school' old school though? I think you have to adapt to the modern NFL and he's done it better than anyone. Think of how many 'problem' players went to NE and were successful.

Now, he'll cut you without a thought, and basically threw the Superbowl away on principle. That's hardcore. But, I don't think it's capricious either.

I don't think he's lenient, but I don't think he's '5 minutes early is on time' either. I feel like he sets firm ground rules but treats players as adults and professionals.

Coughlin does not strike me as that. 'How dare you question me. I am the god of the team.' That's not going to fly today.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If Coughlin had been more successful in his management position at Jacksonville and the team a big success on the field, he probably wouldn't have gotten any heat for the way he disciplines people, and he probably wouldn't have lost his job.

Yes, absolutely. I think there's a difference between Coughlin and Belichick. I'd go so far as to say Coughlin's deal lead to the lack of success whereas Belichick's fosters it.

Coughlin strikes me as someone who micromanages af. Players want to play for Belichick, obviously because they win, but you don't see the diva bs there either.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Is he 'old school' old school though? I think you have to adapt to the modern NFL and he's done it better than anyone. Think of how many 'problem' players went to NE and were successful.

Now, he'll cut you without a thought, and basically threw the Superbowl away on principle. That's hardcore. But, I don't think it's capricious either.

I don't think he's lenient, but I don't think he's '5 minutes early is on time' either. I feel like he sets firm ground rules but treats players as adults and professionals.

Coughlin does not strike me as that. 'How dare you question me. I am the god of the team.' That's not going to fly today.

You don't see it unless you're a fan of the team, but Belichick makes good faith efforts to understand and connect with younger players. He doesn't pay them as much as they want and he works them to the bone, but he treats players fairly for the most part. He's not fining players $99K for imaginary infractions. He also likes to draft players who were team captains to build a strong locker room.

It's funny to watch this year, as he's had to jettison three talented but problematic players in Antonio Brown, Josh Gordon., and Michael Bennett. But the overall ethos of the team remains OK despite uneven play this year.

• Love 2

I think lessons learned from Belichick are important to other professions. I tend to root for them because I grew up there. It's still weird that they sucked for decades and are now the model franchise.

It seems like Parcells was the same way, which makes sense.

I find it funny that they're 12-3 and it's a down year.

• Love 2

Psst, Rams:  The way you played against the Seahawks two weeks ago, and the way you played against the 49ers tonight?*  WHERE THE HELL WAS THAT AGAINST THE COWBOYS?!

*While, in the end, the performance wasn't enough for a victory (seriously, y'alls defense gave up two 3rd and 16s in a row for a game-winning drive?!) against an 11-3 San Francisco team, it would have been against that cow dung team from Dallas.

Alas, what a division game.  Painful in the end, but a good time. 

The Niners do like to keep it close lately, don't they?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Psst, Rams:  The way you played against the Seahawks two weeks ago, and the way you played against the 49ers tonight?*  WHERE THE HELL WAS THAT AGAINST THE COWBOYS?!

*While, in the end, the performance wasn't enough for a victory (seriously, y'alls defense gave up two 3rd and 16s in a row for a game-winning drive?!) against an 11-3 San Francisco team, it would have been against that cow dung team from Dallas.

They're trying to kill me.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Coughlin strikes me as someone who micromanages af.

I think that's closer to what the issues were than old school vs. new school.  It's okay to be strict.  It's okay to say a meeting starts at 12:55 instead of 1:00.  It's micromanagey and insulting to switch all the clocks to 5 minutes early in order to achieve the alleged goal you want.  Doing that doesn't train people to come to meetings five minutes before the official start time.  People soon realize that all the clocks are running fast so they'll subtract, especially if the meeting doesn't actually start early.   Then you have the bonus of insulting everyone in the building from people in the pro to the players.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It would have been nice for the Bills to finally beat the Pats, but yet again they came up short against a mediocre Pats team who is still winning the division and likely going to another Super Bowl after the Ravens choke. Yeah, I’m calling it and I’m already pissed about it.

Rams not going to the playoffs after the Super Bowl. They look so mediocre without a decent O line and their defense does not look as sharp as they did last season. Maybe this lights a fire under McVay’s ass and he realizes he’s not as good as everyone thinks he is. Same with Goff. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Where the hell was that in the Super Bowl?

That was a tough loss—the game was close the entire time. But If the offense had played in the big game with the same intensity and confidence they showed tonight, the Rams would be the defending Super Bowl champs. 

• Love 3

The 49ers are finally getting it together.   That one throw by Jimmy G was literally Montana like.   As in The Catch.    Exact same rollout and angle to throw.   Although the receiver didn't have to jump as high as Mt. Everest to get it.   

Looking forward to a Ravens - 49ers matchup.   Yes I know what that means to my Boys.   

• Love 1
7 hours ago, topanga said:

Where the hell was that in the Super Bowl?

I'm still wondering about that months later. Freaking idiots.

7 hours ago, twoods said:

Rams not going to the playoffs after the Super Bowl. They look so mediocre without a decent O line and their defense does not look as sharp as they did last season. Maybe this lights a fire under McVay’s ass and he realizes he’s not as good as everyone thinks he is. Same with Goff. 

Can we also put Todd Gurley on that list too?

I can't imagine how Jalen Ramsey is feeling right now. Going from one dumpster fire (Jacksonville) to another (those sorry LA Rams). At least, these losers will have a new stadium to enjoy next season. 

It gets even better for those sorry Rams. They don't have a draft pick next season. 

As for today, ESPN & Undisputed have been hyping that Cowboys - Eagles game for weeks. So much so, that ESPN is doing their pregame show (Sunday NFL Countdown) today in Philadelphia. If the AFC West or the NFC South was in a similar situation like the wretched NFC East is currently in, ESPN & Undisputed wouldn't give a damn about it. In fact, they'll probably be mocking them. 

Hopefully, We Dem Boyz will go down in a heap today. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Cleveland looked good for exactly 28 minutes.

I'm curious if any team will be able to put a dent in Baltimore's offense this year or will it take an offseason of personnel focus and planning. Some very good defensive minds got shredded by the Ravens this season.

• Love 1

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!  Eagles 17 - WE DEM BOYZ 9.

The Eagles made me sweat for a long while, but they got the job done at the end.

We didn't see that loser owner (Jerry Jones) very much during the game. But, it was so satisfying seeing him leaving the suite in disgust after the Cowboys didn't get the touchdown on 4th Down. I wonder what he has to say at this moment. I'm sure that ESPN is also disgusted by this result. 

Edited by Magog
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Magog said:

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!  Eagles 17 - WE DEM BOYZ 9.

Hey, that's what I was going to say! lol

Although, these close games are really not good for my heart.

• Love 1

That was a great win by the Philly. I was impressed with how they played especially considering all of the injuries they've had this year. They played hard and like they wanted to win the division. And also having to use practice squad players, who have been playing well. They definitely deserved that win and now could go to the playoffs if they beat the Giants next week. 

i do think that the Giants game could be a tougher game for them than the Cowboys/Redskins game. But I do think that the Eagles could win and make the playoffs. 

As far as the Cowboys goes they didn't play well and this is yet another disappointing loss for them. This season as a whole has been very underwhelming for them and now they may not make the playoffs in spite of all of the talent they have. 

Edited by Jx223

I've been looking at the NFC standings today and hypothetically at the end of the season the Vikings, Green Bay, San Francisco, Seattle and New Orleans could all be 12-4. Only the NFC East champ wouldn't. 

New Orleans would still be the NFC South champs, but who would be champs of North and West and how would the seedings work?

I want Vikings to play NFC East for their first round game. We already beat the whole division this season.

The Chicago announcers said the Vikings will beat Green Bay tomorrow. I hope they're right! I think Chicago wants Vikings to win because they hate Green Bay, too.

10 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

New Orleans would still be the NFC South champs, but who would be champs of North and West and how would the seedings work?

The West Champs would be Seattle, because they will have swept SF. As for everything else, it'll come down to common opponents, because the division and conference records will be identical.

The Packers probably won’t win tomorrow night but it is what is is, the Vikings are in thanks to the Rams loss, don’t much matter.  

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

The Chicago announcers said the Vikings will beat Green Bay tomorrow. I hope they're right! I think Chicago wants Vikings to win because they hate Green Bay, too.

Ha, yeah. So much credit to the Chicago “announcers.”  And why would Chicago even give a F if the Packers or Vikings win?  They (da Bears) are DONE.  

That was a fun time tonight. ❤️💛

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

Green Bay ending up at 12-4 would mean they go 1-1 in their next two games.  That's enough to clinch the North thanks to their current 2 game lead in the divisional record.

As for seeding, here's a rundown of how every team in the NFC could land.

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I think Chicago wants Vikings to win because they hate Green Bay, too.

It's a 100 year rivalry.

5 hours ago, Jx223 said:

That was a great win by the Philly.

Was anyone else nervous at the end of that game that this would be the play where a pass interference call/no call would be overturned?  Oh the uproar that would have caused.

About that tweet that @xaxat posted, did Brandon Graham know something?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

There are only 32 NFL Head coaching jobs.   Even the BROWNS get multiple people willing to coach for them.    The Cowboys are on the top jobs among the incredibly rare job of NFL HC.   People want it.    It's not the money.   It's being able to say you once coached the Cowboys.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If Garrett leaves the Cowboys, who is going to hire him?  There are only thirty-one other pro teams,

Ian Rappaport mentioned about a month ago that the Giants could be a landing spot for Garrett.  How real  of a possibility this is, I don't know.

But the NFL does tend to give second chances to coaches, especially those who finished with overall winning records which Garrett currently has. The latest trend might be for the "newest" and "freshest" but, of the 6 head coaches hired without NFL head coaching experience, only Matt LaFleur in Green Bay has a winning record.

He's young. He has an overall winning record.  He was able to last under Jerry.  If he's fired, it might not be this year but I do see him coaching for another team.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, geauxaway said:

Merry Christmas, Cousins, you dork!  It’s a good time here in WI.  🎄🎅🏻🎄🎅🏻.   Such a pouter, too!  😭😭😭

After the 3rd sack, I think Cousins might have been saying to Za'darius Smith, "Hey, I voted for you for the Pro Bowl, please stop taking it out on me."  Probably also saying "Ouch."

• LOL 7
31 minutes ago, Calvada said:

After the 3rd sack, I think Cousins might have been saying to Za'darius Smith, "Hey, I voted for you for the Pro Bowl, please stop taking it out on me."  Probably also saying "Ouch."

But for real, does he (Cousins) think the grass is a WR?  Mais, La! 🙄.  Between him and Phyllis Rivers, I love watching the cry baby meltdowns.  (RIP original Cry Cry Cutler).

I think Aaron Rodgers is also up there in cry baby status. Whenever he gets touched he starts whining about roughing the passer. Most  QBs are such douchebags. 
The Packers have been sneaking in this season. They are being overshadowed by the Niners and Saints but look to be decent this season. I hate them but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the NFC championship. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, twoods said:

I think Aaron Rodgers is also up there in cry baby status. Whenever he gets touched he starts whining about roughing the passer. Most  QBs are such douchebags. 
The Packers have been sneaking in this season. They are being overshadowed by the Niners and Saints but look to be decent this season. I hate them but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the NFC championship. 

Nah.  Aaron Rodgers may have issues but he’s not a cry cry like Cutler, Rivers, Cousins.  You have the validated Cry Babys like Rodgers, Brady, Manning’s.  And then you have the meltdown cry baby’s like ⬆️.  Back it up or go home!  🤯🤯🤯🤯

Last time they (Packers) won the SB, it was road, road, road ➡️🏆.   I only recall this  because I heard it repeated on the AM sports talk here in KC.  I came home that year SB weekend just for the SB, it was amazing.  I never thought they was gonna win it that time against the Steelers.  You just never know.  I’m still praying for a Chiefs / Packers SB.

MERRY MNF YA’LL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by geauxaway

Given the overall reluctantance for franchises to take actual risks and trotting out the same people over and over, I wouldn't be surprised if Garrett landed somewhere else. 

Owners overall don't actually want to do what it takes to win, and he's a guy that will go 7-9, 8-8,and maybe ten wins with a couple of breaks and keep fans watching and buying tickets. 

• Love 1

Last Sunday of the Regular Season.   Time has flown.   Teams have suprised us and disappointed us.   And now it comes down to today.   Who will be playing next Sunday and who gets a Bye.   10 games have playoff implications.   

I am fully expecting my Cowboys to be cleaning out their lockers tomorrow -- unless the G-men come through.   Words I never thought I would say.

4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I am fully expecting my Cowboys to be cleaning out their lockers tomorrow -- unless the G-men come through.   Words I never thought I would say.

This is painful.  I never, ever root against my G-men, but they need to lose today in order for my most loathed team to go away.

[In 1998, Denver was going for a perfect season, and the Giants were going nowhere, and I like Denver, so I thought I'd be rooting for the Broncos when they met up.  The second the game started, I bled Big Blue like I always do, and they won, too.]

That was a fun and exciting ending to the Dolphins/Patriots game. That was a great win for the Dolphins. They struggled quite bit earier in this season and suffered really bad losses. But they ended up performing much better during this second half. They ended up being competitive in several games this year, including today's. They played hard and now they have made a significant impact on the playoffs by preventing the Patriots from getting a first round bye.

I think that the other playoff teams are glad they won today, especially the Chiefs who now secure the #2 seed in the AFC and get a first round bye. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Woo hoo to no bye for the Pats! They will probably still somehow get to the SB despite being mediocre but I’m going to enjoy it while I can. Too bad the bills didn’t finish on a high note but hope they win a playoff game.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Wildcard said:

I'm a life long Dolphins fan - and I know.... worse draft pick, haven't won a SB since the 70's....but, HAHAHAHAHA

I think Dolphins' fans have reason to be optimistic. Obviously, there are questions at quarterback. But they have a ton of high draft picks and the guys who are there have clearly bought into what the coaching staff has been preaching. (Remember when it seemed like everyone wanted out and they were losing by thirty plus points a game?)

• Love 2