Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Is San Antonio too small a market, or too close to Dallas?

If the Jets and Giants can play in the same stadium, I don't think one city is too close to another for two franchises to exist.

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US, and it only has a major league basketball franchise.  San Diego is right behind it in population and lost their team, as per usual, not because they had no fans, but because of the owner's greed.  Buffalo is the 83rd largest city in the US and has an NFL team.  The Patriots once pretended they were going to move to Hartford, which is the 227th largest city in the US.  It was simply Kraft's trick for jacking up Massachusetts to give him what he wanted.

Because in the end, that's all that matters when placing a franchise.  What the billionaire owners want.  And what they want is everyone else's money.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

If the Jets and Giants can play in the same stadium, I don't think one city is too close to another for two franchises to exist.

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US, and it only has a major league basketball franchise.  San Diego is right behind it in population and lost their team, as per usual, not because they had no fans, but because of the owner's greed.  Buffalo is the 83rd largest city in the US and has an NFL team.  The Patriots once pretended they were going to move to Hartford, which is the 227th largest city in the US.  It was simply Kraft's trick for jacking up Massachusetts to give him what he wanted.

Because in the end, that's all that matters when placing a franchise.  What the billionaire owners want.  And what they want is everyone else's money.

The problem is, Jerry Jones is never going to be amenable to another Texas franchise. I don't know how they convinced him to allow the Texans, but he would certainly throw his toys out of the pram over a team in San Antonio.

It's the same with most of the country. There's nowhere that's really far enough from an existing team to not be encroaching on TV markets some owner will see as theirs. The closest to that would probably be Oklahoma City, where college football is king, or somewhere like Montana, where no one lives.

One of the reasons Baltimore was passed over for an expansion team in 1993, despite the city's campaign and the injustice of the Colts leaving, was because the owner of Washington didn't want competition.

New York and Los Angeles are the only two markets considered big enough for more than one team (although that's arguable with L.A., given the Chargers' issues).

But honestly, I don't think there's a pressing need for the NFL to expand anyway. Thirty two teams is enough, and we still see three or four each year that are fairly hopeless.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

There's nowhere that's really far enough from an existing team to not be encroaching on TV markets some owner will see as theirs.

Doesn't the NFL use a profit-sharing model for TV revenue, so that part of the franchise, at least, is somewhat leveled?  Dall-ass makes money in a way that Jacksonville doesn't because of brand sponsorships and team merchandise.

But I agree that Jerr-uh can do anything he wants and the NFL will let him.  And I also agree that no more expansion is really necessary.  I do feel badly for the Chargers, who were moved through the machinations of their scummy owner, and are basically playing all their home games before a road crowd.

• Love 2

I find it hilarious that Jerry Jones won't support another team in his market.   For DECADES, George Preston Marshall refused a team in the South because his radio station covered that area.   His Redskins games were broadcast there.   He didn't want another team diluting that.   It was only when Clinton Murchison, Jr. blackmailed him over the rights to Hail to the Redskins that he agreed to vote to allow an expansion team in Dallas.   Which caused Lamar Hunt's AFL team to move from Dallas to Kansas City because two leagues couldn't compete in one city.   

If Florida can have 3 football teams (officially), then Texas a MUCH larger state can have 3 teams.   The SA market does not really overlap either the Dallas or Houston markets.   

London is a scare tactic just like LA used to be.   The NFL used to threaten that the team would move to LA if whatever city didn't build a new stadium for the team.   That bluff is failing now.   But the NFL is stuck in its ways and hasn't realized things have changed.   So same old bluff.   They are desperately trying to find another city that will take in the Chargers.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, meowmommy said:

7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The problem is, Jerry Jones is never going to be amenable to another Texas franchise. I don't know how they convinced him to allow the Texans, but he would certainly throw his toys out of the pram over a team in San Antonio.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. On paper, it would look like a good market in a football State.

7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

But honestly, I don't think there's a pressing need for the NFL to expand anyway. Thirty two teams is enough, and we still see three or four each year that are fairly hopeless.

No I was speculating as to where the Chargers would go instead of London. I even think 32 is too much just because of that.

3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The league would have to realign, and I can't imagine any team wanting to be booted form their current division.

I like the Pats, but no way will Kraft allow the division to be broken up.

I don't think you can get any more olde tymey fat cat names than George Preston Marshall and Clinton Murchison, Jr.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

They are desperately trying to find another city that will take in the Chargers.    

Probably lots of cities would happily take the Chargers.  None of them will soak their taxpayers for a billion dollar stadium, though.  

It's kind of nauseating that so many metro areas have forced their citizens to pony up for a stadium most of them can't afford to visit.

• Love 2
On 11/6/2019 at 8:38 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't think you can get any more olde tymey fat cat names than George Preston Marshall and Clinton Murchison, Jr.

Those names sound like they wore short pants to school and other kids gave them wedgies. 😉

Edited by catlover79
  • LOL 3
On 11/6/2019 at 8:38 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

Nope you can't.   I love telling the blackmail story.   It is so richly hilarious as a lawyer.    I mean it wasn't really blackmail, but it was definitely some smart wheeling and dealing.   

GPM's wife and a bandleader actually wrote Hail to the Redskins.   Both held the copyright to the song.   Now while Missus GPM was married to old GPM this wasn't a problem.   However, the Missus and the Mister got divorced.   She kept the rights in the song.   CM, Jr. went to her and said "Really want to screw your ex over?   Sell me your share of the rights to the song.*"  She said "hell yeah, great idea.   Pay up buddy."   So he did.   Then CM, Jr. went to the bandleader and threw money at him.   Apparently he threw enough at him that the bandleader sold up.    Then, CM, Jr. gets on the phone with GPM and says "You gonna play Hail to the Redskins next time your team scores a touchdown."   GPM in his inimitable style says "Hell yes, I am.**"   CM, Jr. says "Great, can't wait to see that check for using MY song."  GPM just about blows a gasket "I am not fucking paying you to play Hail to the Redskins."  CM, Jr in his most reasonable voice says "Oh yes you will.   I own the rights now.   However, if you stop voting against a franichse in Dallas, I will sign over the rights  to you."  GPM took the deal.

And that ladies and gentlemen is how the Dallas Cowboys came to be.   It is also one the main reasons, no matter the owner, the Skins HATE the Cowboys and vice versa.

* I am have embellished the conversation a bit.   But as a divorce attorney, I am betting this is not far off.   Or maybe he just threw money at her.   Either way she signed over the rights.   I like my version the best.

** Actually conversation, not embellished.  GPM had ... colorful ... language.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

I think the "infringing on my local market" is a lot less significant in the days of billion dollar TV contracts, blanket TV coverage, and revenue sharing.  Die-hard Dall-ass fans in San Antonio aren't suddenly going to switch their allegiance because a franchise gets put there, any more than the citizens of LA have now become Charger fans because Spanos dropped them there.

I've lived out of Connecticut a lot more than I've lived in it, and the Pink Taco (AZ Cardinals' State Farm Stadium) is 15 minutes from my house, but I'll always bleed Big Blue.

• Love 2

That's the excuse the owners will use to maintain their monopoly. Who's to say a San Antonio resident who is a Cowboys fan might not go to some games if there's a team in their hometown in another division? It's not like you can't go to an early game and then you're forbidden to watch Dallas on the Sunday night game.

Trying to start a new franchise actually *in* Dallas, no way.

Edited by DoctorAtomic

Philip Rivers missed a bunch of throws at the end of this game and then threw his third interception that helped seal the win for the Raiders. I thought that Oakland's defense played well in tonight's game and did a nice of helping the team improve to a winning record. The Raiders are in a good place right now and have upcoming games against bad teams like the Jets and Bengals.  They could potentially get one of the WC spots in the AFC.

Edited by Jx223
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

The Chargers looked a mess last night, but somehow they stayed competitive throughout the game. If they could only get their shit together. 

I will miss Phillip Rivers. He's old school and funny. And when he stands on the sideline with his eyes steeled and his chest broad, he looks like the epitome of a comic book football hero. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I think the missus will make him get snipped if he retires.

If she had really wanted him to get the snippy snip, I think she would've insisted on that at least three children ago.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Of course the Bills lost to the Browns.

Good for the Titans beating the Chiefs, and Atlanta beating the Saints. Lamar Jackson continues to be an absolute beast. If the Ravens continue to play well he’s on his way to winning MVP.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't think the Chiefs are as good as the media makes them out to be.  They are a great team, but they certainly aren't unbeatable.

If they don't get their act together, they won't even win their own division.  

• Love 2

I liked watching that snowy Packers/Panthers game and the game coming down to the very end. Kyle Allen tried hard to get the team the win, and moved down the field on that last drive, but unfortunately  for them they came up just a little short. 

Also, I think it was interesting that a lot of underdogs won today,(Falcons, Titans, Browns, Dolphins, Steelers). The Browns got a much needed win after a very rough 1st half of the season and the Titans got a really good win against the Chiefs. Things continue to be tight in the AFC, including a close race between teams in the AFC South. 

Lamar Jackson played really great today in a season where he has played pretty well overall. The Ravens continue to roll and I could see them possibly going deep in the playoffs. And I wonder if the Rams will make the playoffs. There are quite a few talented teams in the NFC and I could see the Rams maybe missing the playoffs. Especially looking at how the other teams in their division are performing.  (Though, there is still time left for them to still make a push for them)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Browns didn't deserve to win that game.  Eight or nine chances on the goal line and the Browns couldn't get in?   Offensive play calling was horrible.

Agreed. I'm still stunned that they hung on to that lead at the end. How many turnovers and fumbles did they have today. They sure don't make any of their wins easy. 😳

• Love 1

I thought that tonight's game was a good game and that both teams made a lot of nice plays. Dak and Amari Cooper played very well for the Cowboys and Dalvin Cook/Kyle Rudolph played well for the Vikings. Kirk Cousins also did a solid job. It ended up being a close game, and the Vikings taking away Zeke ended up being a difference in the game. (And after that had happened all evening it hurt Dallas going to Zeke multiple times towards the end of the game, when they tried to score a TD).

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3

9 to 5 fans, you know that moment during Violet's fantasy of knocking off Mr. Hart when she delivers a musical "Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha" and sticks her tongue out at him?  That's what I do whenever the Cowboys lose a game.  I don't care about the Vikings at all (in the NFC North, I like the Bears and kind-of-like the Packers), but I'll rejoice in anyone other than the Patriots beating the Cowboys.

It eases the sting of the Rams and Giants both losing; it can never truly be a bad football day when the Cowboys lose.

I watched the Falcons-Saints game this morning, and it proves you can't count anyone out in a rivalry game.  The Falcons defense was impressive, but the Saints just flat-out played poorly.

I saw the final minutes of Chiefs-Titans, and, wow, what a finish for Tennessee.  (I also saw the end of Bills-Browns, and couldn't begin to care.)

I moved up my walk with a friend tomorrow in order to be home in time to watch the Seahawks try to hand the 49ers their first loss of the season.

• Love 1

It's been so much fun watching Lamar Jackson this year (more-so than last year, when the offense was somewhat  jerry-rigged for him) as he's proved that, not only does he belong at QB on an NFL field, but that he's the best player on almost any field he steps onto. The highlight reel that the Ravens put together for him at the end of the season might be about forty minutes long.

Don't get me wrong, I love Joe Flacco, but he could be frustrating to watch at times, and the Ravens were always going to be a defense first team, with him at QB. But they've utterly rebuilt their identity, in a single off-season, and are now number one in several offensive categories. And the defense is still pretty good.

But the Ravens have a tricky run of games coming up - Texans, Rams, 49ers, Bills - If they could win three out of those four, I'll be happy.

Other teams - I like to see the Steelers and Browns lose, but under the circumstances, seeing them hurt their draft status with scrappy wins isn't too disappointing. I just hope the Steelers don't manage to weasel their way into a wild card spot.

And yes, the Cowboys losing is always good. It makes Jerry Jones sad.

If I'm Joe Burrow or Tua, I'm wincing right now, at the prospect of ending up at the Bengals, Dolphins or Washington.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7
38 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

It's been so much fun watching Lamar Jackson this year (more-so than last year, when the offense was somewhat  jerry-rigged for him) as he's proved that, not only does he belong at QB on an NFL field, but that he's the best player on almost any field he steps onto.

I really thought Harbaugh was blowing smoke when he talked about the offense being something no one had ever seen before in the pre-season. But he and Jackson have delivered.

40 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

If I'm Joe Burrow or Tua, I'm wincing right now, at the prospect of ending up at the Bengals, Dolphins or Washington.

One of those teams at least has a plan. . . the other two, not so much.

• Love 5

I think that this was a pretty good game tonight. It was dramatic, lol. I think that overall both defensive had strong, impressive performances and made several big plays. Including in OT.

But the Seahawks managed to get the win after the 49ers failed to captialize in multiple opportunities in OT (including after more shaky throws were thrown by Jimmy G). And Russell Wilson having a nice run to get them into field goal range. They did a nice job of getting the win and also stopped the 49ers from being undefeated. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 1

Wright killed me not making the interception to put the game away for Seattle on San Francisco's final drive.

The Seahwaks killed me all game, really, leaving me thinking they all had their hands greased for how much difficulty they had hanging onto the damn ball.

And bull-fucking-shit on ruling Wilson sacked in OT, so good on him providing the first down on the next play.

The Seahawks could have, without just a couple of key mistakes, handed the 49ers their first loss in regulation, so going to OT pissed me off and made me fear they were going to deserve to lose. 

It was a fun game to watch, right up until that fatal INT.  Except, wait - not fatal; McLaughlin misses the FG and Seattle lives to play another drive.  But then a wasted timeout that doesn't yield anything on 3rd down and they have to punt.

Then they turn around and force San Francisco to punt it right back.  They only need a FG, and have nearly 1:30, but no timeouts.  Wilson's feet set them up, and it comes down to the kicker who's had a good career but a horrific game last week.  Who gets iced right before the ball is snapped, rendering his successful kick moot.  He squeaks it through again, and the 49ers are undefeated no more, thanks to a division rival.

So, yeah, exciting game!

I still haven’t gotten used to Richard Sherman playing against the Seahawks, though.

• Love 1

Going undefeated is hard.   Plus all the constant talk of "will they go undefeated" is a lot of distraction.   Take it one game at a time.   So I'm glad the 49ers lost.   It got that out of the way.   They showed fight even after 3 turnovers.   It was competitive all the way down to the wire.   

I'm good with another Ravens-49ers Super Bowl.   Let's keep the lights on for the entire game this time though.   

As for Dallas, we have to stop spotting the other team 14 points before we start playing.   We are still going to win the division.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I'm glad the 49ers lost.   It got that out of the way.  

I've got no dog in this particular fight, but you don't want your first loss to be at home, against a division rival that is breathing down your neck in the standings.

That division is up for grabs, now.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

I'm good with another Ravens-49ers Super Bowl.   Let's keep the lights on for the entire game this time though.   

Works for me. Although the media would love a Russell Wilson vs. Lamar Jackson Super Bowl, I'm sure. I'd also like to see Aaron Rodgers get to another Super Bowl, and if not the Ravens, I'd like to see the Packers win to give him a second ring.

The Ravens play the 49ers in a couple of weeks, and it will be interesting to see how that game plays out. The 49ers have a scary defensive front, and a lot will ride on how well the Ravens O-line holds up. Lamar has shown that overeager pass-rushers may get embarrassed as he dances around them, but the 49ers will have a lot of guys to throw at him.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, merylinkid said:

As for Dallas, we have to stop spotting the other team 14 points before we start playing.   We are still going to win the division.   

Nothing against you, but fuck Dall-ass.   Filthydelphia is also 5-4.  

I've taken to wearing my NYG SB XLVI T-shirt, just to remind myself that life used to be good...

• Love 4
On 11/11/2019 at 10:50 AM, icemiser69 said:

Apparently Cris Carter isn't working for FS1 anymore.

I think they should have put Carter on the Fox Thursday Night NFL Pregame show.  

There's about a billion hours of NFL programming a week. You've got to work pretty hard to flunk out of that system.

I'm a big supporter of Colin Kaepernick. But even I admit his time has probably passed. I don't understand this whole tryout thing. Now (week 10 after Kaep has been out of the league for years) is the time Goodell tries to make good?

I actually wish that Kaep had turned him down. Because no team is going to sign him and it gives the league an undeserved "feel good" after black balling him.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 9

ESPN reporter Adam Schefter just reported this:

NFL clubs were informed today that a private workout will be held for Colin Kaepernick on Saturday in Atlanta. Session will include on-field work and an interview. All clubs are invited to attend, and video of both the workout and interview will be made available to clubs.

Regarding the timing, only thing I can think of is having Lamar Jackson’s MVP level play with his old offensive coordinator makes the idea of a mobile QB more intriguing so much that some owners may be now willing to go against the political tides?

I'm seeing on twitter a lot of speculation that Jay Z played a role in setting up this tryout in his new role as "Wokeness Ambassador" for the NFL. 

That makes as much sense as anything else I can think of.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I'm seeing on twitter a lot of speculation that Jay Z played a role in setting up this tryout in his new role as "Wokeness Ambassador" for the NFL. 

That makes as much sense as anything else I can think of.

If Jay Z is involved, Kaep really should have noped out of it.   Jay Z is just as willing to exploit him for a buck as the owners.

This whole thing is bizarre.   It was apparently the NFL's idea, they reached out to Kaep and said, let us know in 2 hours if you want to do this.   On a Saturday during college football season when the scouts are committed elsewhere and the coaches are in pregame mode for Sunday.    Most workouts are on Tuesdays, the "off" day in the NFL.   

Why is this NFL doing this?   Who knows.   But they really want to say "well we gave him a chance" without actually giving him a chance.   

You see that Matt Moore was pulled out of retirement who also last played in 2017 and the "well he hasn't played in years" argument kinda fails about Kaep.   

• Love 9

This whole thing is bizarre.   It was apparently the NFL's idea, they reached out to Kaep and said, let us know in 2 hours if you want to do this.   On a Saturday during college football season when the scouts are committed elsewhere and the coaches are in pregame mode for Sunday.    Most workouts are on Tuesdays, the "off" day in the NFL. 

Yeah, the more I read about this, the more I think he was set up to fail. He apparently asked for a rescheduled for Tuesday, but the league said no, without explanation.

If Jay Z is involved, Kaep really should have noped out of it.   Jay Z is just as willing to exploit him for a buck as the owners.

It's funny how badly that initiative was received by the African American community. For reasons like that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

He apparently asked for a rescheduled for Tuesday, but the league said no, without explanation.

It's supposed to be ok because they're making video available, but what are the odds any coaches or GMs will actually review the video?

NFL owners hate controversy.  They'd rather go 1-15 than hire someone who's going to upset their applecart.

• Love 2

Kap is kind of in a no-win here. If he refuses, he's going to get skewered. If he plays poorly, everyone will be like, 'well he had his time, move on.' 

If he's nothing short of stellar, you're going to get 'well, he doesn't fit our system.' 

I kind of wish he went to Canada and just tore it up and refused the NFL's calls. 

• Love 8

That was a crazy and ugly end to the Browns/Steelers game when Myles Garrett and Mason Rudolph ended up fighting each other and other players got involved. Very poor behavior especially from Myles there. Yikes. I could definitely see some suspensions happening after that happened.

In spite of the ending I was glad to see the Browns get the win tonight. Though, they've had quite a few penalties tonight they still looked better than they have for most of this season so far. The defense made several good plays, including four interceptions and Baker and the offense looked more comfortable than they have in a bit. Kareem Hunt made an impact and fought hard for extra yardage.

Also, congrats to Nick Chubb for being the first NFL player this year to rush for over 1,000 yards. The Browns have some winnable games on their schedule, I wonder what their record will end up being after this second half of the season is over. 

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 3